Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Solace

Episode synopsis: The crew of Nathan James discovers that hospital ship USNS Solace was sent to sea to wait for Dr. Scott's cure. Captain Chandler sees an opportunity to add another ship to their fleet while Rachel is eager to find a lab better equipped to replicate the vaccine. When Solace fails to respond to radio communications, Chandler and his team board the ship...and come face-to-face with an unexpected enemy.

Sooooo, were hating on the English this season now?

It sounds like a mixed crew -- the prisoner they have on the Nathan James was speaking with a Spanish accent on the Solace and apparently babbling in Spanish before.   The U.N. has reformed as a gang of pirates with high-tech weapons and highly trained personnel -- did you see that gun that fired around corners by hinging 90 degrees.  I just can't see what's left of an entire British Navy ship going rogue.

The '5 months ago' nonsense with the British sub would have helped if there was any relative reference to where the Nathan James was at that time.  As for the USNS Solace heading out to sea 'two weeks ago', wouldn't the Nathan James have picked up on it when they sailed up the East Coast to Baltimore ?  Because it's only been about a week or so in showtime between the engagement with the Russian cruiser and them arriving in Norfolk via Baltimore.  If we find out that the Admiral from the Russian cruiser has been running the British sub this whole time, it will border on the ridiculous.

Plus, I think they jumped to conclusion of 2-man mini-subs a little quickly -- they killed about 10 guys on the Solace and 8 got away, they would have needed at bunch of these two-man subs and a lot of SCUBA gear.  And if at least 8 guys dove off into the water and never surfaced (and they weren't wearing SCUBA gear when they did it), the sub would have had to have been close by.  The Nathan James should have been banging away with active sonar and dropping a few depth charges to see if they got a reaction/movement.  I was surprised that they basically just left the area.

I'm still curious why the Nathan James passed by Norfolk on the way into Baltimore -- it's basically on the way.

The Norwegian doctor with 'The Chosen' is still a carrier -- does that mean that absolutely everyone he meets is immune ?  I kind of doubt that after the results on the beach when the Norwegian Doctor came ashore in Florida when everyone appeared to die, having him strolling around is not going to end well.

It's rather convenient that they picked up the Aussie equivalent of a SEAL, and a member of IDF special ops -- despite the fact there was no mention of them whatsoever last episode.  Never saw them on shore, or any interactions with the crew last episode -- and definitely no one asking permission fro Chandler to add them to the crew.  Though I do like the nickname 'Wolfman'.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am just wondering why Nathan James is not just lighting up the sea with full power active sonar. It is not like she is avoiding detection. As well, as they are in high seas, where do the mercenaries anchor their SDVs and scuba gears? On the ocean floor?

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Love 1

I always thought that all this was missing was a badass Australian hunk with a manly name (Wolf!  And that's his real name!  His mom totally named him Wolf!!!) and a hot Israeli solider-woman, to be the perfect action show.  Now we're all set!  Added bonus is we've already got one solider (Burke), lusting for Israeli lady, while another (Miller), totally has a man-crush on Hunky Wolf.  Like I'd expect anything less.  Not famailar with the Aussie guy, but Israeli lady is Inbar Lavi, who was on that show Gang Related on Fox, last summer.

So... basically this new bad guy gang consist of people from various nations and whatnot, and it's be lead by a bearded Brian F. O'Byrne?  Ok, then.  Nothing against Brian F. O'Byrne, but that's a bit of a step-down from Alfre Woodard.  Looks like they are trying to find the cure and destroy it, but Nathan Jones thwart it for now.  Although, eight of them escaped: including the leader of that team, because Chadler suddenly decided that he couldn't shoot for shit, near the end of the episode.  I kid; that's probably realistic, but for this show, it was noticeable that he suddenly couldn't hit the target to save his life.

At least they saved a few more folks, and Scott's even got another doctor to help her out.  I just hope he's more trustworthy then her last partner.

Of course, they had Tex's desperate half-cocked "Fuck it!  I'm just going to peel the bomb off with a knife and throw it off the boat!" plan work.  Classic Tex.  Totally think we're going to be getting Tex vs. Hunky Aussie Guy man-offs, in future episodes.

Uh oh!  Evil bad guys have an evil submarine!  It's never easy for the Nathan James and its crew.

• Love 3

So, the evil leader of the boarding party on the Solace (the guy with the remote detonator that jumped overboard) was the same guy that was one of the two Ramsey brothers that survived the red flu infection on the submarine.  Wow -- and it only took 5 months to go from civilized naval officer to over-the-top mustache-twirling villain.  Who knew ?

I'm just surprised that since the boarding party was trying to destroy the cure (why exactly ?) that the sub just didn't slam a couple of torpedoes into the Solace and the Nathan James and call it a day.

• Love 2

So, the evil leader of the boarding party on the Solace (the guy with the remote detonator that jumped overboard) was the same guy that was one of the two Ramsey brothers that survived the red flu infection on the submarine.  Wow -- and it only took 5 months to go from civilized naval officer to over-the-top mustache-twirling villain.  Who knew ?

I'm just surprised that since the boarding party was trying to destroy the cure (why exactly ?) that the sub just didn't slam a couple of torpedoes into the Solace and the Nathan James and call it a day.

They are trying to destroy the cure probably because they decided it was God's plan that only the naturally immune repopulate the earth. And the immune are all Noah. Why not torpedo them? Beats me, except they were not yet sure about Solace and didn't suspect Nathan James but would have wanted to inspect her when she showed up

The Norwegian doctor with 'The Chosen' is still a carrier -- does that mean that absolutely everyone he meets is immune ?  I kind of doubt that after the results on the beach when the Norwegian Doctor came ashore in Florida when everyone appeared to die, having him strolling around is not going to end well.

It's rather convenient that they picked up the Aussie equivalent of a SEAL, and a member of IDF special ops -- despite the fact there was no mention of them whatsoever last episode.  Never saw them on shore, or any interactions with the crew last episode -- and definitely no one asking permission fro Chandler to add them to the crew.  Though I do like the nickname 'Wolfman'.

The cult of special ops and the Israeli warrior woman first Ziva David of NCIS now within weeks a SFPD SWAT officer and the newest Nathan James recruit.

Yes the doctor is among a bunch of immune people like Patrice, the chosen one cult tested him by putting him in infected blankets and I suppose the Brit submariners, I guess Special Boat Service on a special operations sub were also immune and joined the cult with the Hispanic special ops soldiers

• Love 1

This new Australian guy, Wolf, is badASS!  Can we keep him?  Watching him kick the shit out of the punching bag while Tex and the other guy looked a bit terrified?  Awesome.  Watching him single-handedly take out a couple of guys using various weapons (a knife, a gun... HIS FISTS)?  Awesome.  A quick Google search tells me that this guy is Bren Foster, and he's highly skilled in martial arts (LOTS of youtube videos of the guy).

• Love 2

Once again the Captain goes Star Trek on us and includes himself on an extremely dangerous mission, and, on top of that, does not plan for the inevitable radio blackout that he was obviously aware of.  A radio guy on the deck would have been a good idea.  And maybe another assault craft on the other side of the hospital ship.  Still, it was a good, tight, hour long shoot out with a few plot points thrown in for good measure.  I wonder if the production staff decided to lean more toward the action theme this season, to bring in the desired demographic.

Burke:  "You did a good job out there"  Navit:  "Yeah, that's what we train for in Special Forces.  Duh."

I always shake my head about the willingness of the bad guys to engage the superior forces that are thrown against them.  The thing about being a mercenary is that the only motive you have for engaging in risky missions is an extremely large monetary payoff at the end of the mission.  Once a few of your compatriots are killed off, you loyalty to the rabid boss is very likely to fade like paint on a barn. 

• Love 2

If the sub wasn't using whatever masking devices it could at all times, it would have most definitely made the NJ.  If the mission was to wreck the lab, the sub would have hit the NJ before she knew what happened.  There was no reason to not sink her.  But, if the mission was to steal the cure for themselves, I can see why the sub held back.

I'm still curious why the Nathan James passed by Norfolk on the way into Baltimore -- it's basically on the way.

They were heading directly for a lab in Maryland for the doc to complete her work.   However, what made no sense was that we saw no attempt whatsoever to contact Norfolk as the NJ steamed right past.  As we saw, they would have made contact.  Ooops.  TPTB didn't want to reveal those cards just then, eh?

If the Russian Admiral is ever seen alive in real time again, I am done with this show.  

It's bad enough that they are still all hep on the cure when it is so obvious it's usefulness is essentially el zippo.

One thing I really and truly loved was the hand-to-hand fight when Wolf ended it by firing rounds into the bad guys just to make sure.  Even better was that after they started the wrestling matches, a gun was used to kill!!!!!  I honestly can not remember any TV/movie depiction of any fight where someone did that.  It has been one of my longtime gripes about the portrayal of such close-in death matches that once the fists are used, weaponry is never employed unless there is some pause (and typically inane conversation ensues).  A+ for whomever staged that fight.

• Love 3

I realize that I'm likely a minority opinion here (and I'm okay with that) but just once, one week couldn't they come across a settlement, ship, island or whatever which isn't over run by nutzo megalomaniacs and mercenaries? You know, like the Bounty crew when they landed in Tahiti, liked it so much and felt so welcomed they decided to shuck off their shoes and stay a while relaxing in the sun? Maybe? Just for one ep before Hitler's minions show up again?

I'm all fine with shooting anything that moves, but a temporary change up would be nice.

• Love 4

Did I miss (if I did, please explain!):

The explanation for what happened to the baddies that jumped off the Solace?[ Beyond the "mini sub" theory]

Who the bad guys were on that boat that met the big sub (and "the boss") in the last scene? {The guy with glasses looked familiar}

How the sub that was clearly on the sonar screen disappeared without a trace? [ Countermeasures, sure, but against the Nathan James?]

Thanks.

Did I miss (if I did, please explain!):

The explanation for what happened to the baddies that jumped off the Solace?[ Beyond the "mini sub" theory]

Who the bad guys were on that boat that met the big sub (and "the boss") in the last scene? {The guy with glasses looked familiar}

How the sub that was clearly on the sonar screen disappeared without a trace? [ Countermeasures, sure, but against the Nathan James?]

Thanks.

The Captain told us about the mini-subs in order to save money and actually getting the Navy to loan one out for a scene. Assuming the mercenaries are not aquamen it is the only explanation that works.

The guys on the boat where the cult which patient zero, the guy in the glasses, met after escaping the sunk Russian cruiser and killing the people on the beach when he washed ashore. They are naturally immune like Patrice and test potential cult members by infecting them. survivors become part of the chosen race. When patient zero survived he was in and told them about a ship which had the cure thus able to twart God's plan

Yes counter measures against the Nathan James. the sub seems to be a Royal navy special operations submarine and even with ideal conditions the sub will normally win against a single ship. If the Nathan James broadcast with her active sonar it would be like you hiding in the woods at night and someone is around with a flashlight on. You will see that flashlight long before they are able to see you and if you can move faster and quietly like a submarine can you can choose when a fight will happen.

• Love 1

They were heading directly for a lab in Maryland for the doc to complete her work.   However, what made no sense was that we saw no attempt whatsoever to contact Norfolk as the NJ steamed right past.  As we saw, they would have made contact.  Ooops.  TPTB didn't want to reveal those cards just then, eh?

Didn't they already stop in Norfolk? When Green introduced the two new characters,he explained they were part of a joint  training program in Norfolk when things hit the fan.He then said they volunteered to join them on their trip south. I just assumed they had already stopped there and we just didn't see it. 

I liked Wolf, but Ravit was being pushed too much as having special skills. She does everything. Even had Burke panting after her from minute one. i just found it annoying for an introduction to a character. Also, annoyed by patient zero. Someone needs to kill him soon.

i loved the action scenes. Wolfe's fight scene was great. With the addition of Wolfe I kept expecting Cruz to die in this episode after he was left to guard the doctors. Glad to see he survived.

It was nice to see characters that had big scenes the last couple of weeks around, even if they had no dialogue.

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked Wolf, but Ravit was being pushed too much as having special skills. She does everything. Even had Burke panting after her from minute one. i just found it annoying for an introduction to a character.

Mind you, this is a perfectly normal reaction for a healthy adult human male who is suddenly exposed to Inbar Lavi. Even his epic failing was accurate: men have made utter fools of themselves while trying to start conversation with far less attractive women.

And wait, Wolf doesn't meet that description? She's just a spook, while he fucks with bombs for a living, and he's called Wolf. You don't get much more "trying too hard" than that.

Edited by Mars477

...weaponry is never employed unless there is some pause (and typically inane conversation ensues).

Add to that the regulation "pssst" to get the victim to turn around so he can be shot in the chest instead of the back.

When Chandler looks over the side after the jumper, he observes a large volume of air bubbles rising to the surface, far more than any human lung capacity.  I think this was shorthand for "There's a mini-sub down there".  Saves on production costs.

• Love 2

Multiple labs across the US and Europe have "the cure"..what is the point of stealing it  now? Take it somewhere they don't have and try to sell it?

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, there is a lot that can be nitpicked (Not only did they pick up a super-competent Australian and Israeli , they both have fabulous hair.) And sometimes the dramatic dynamics don't make the most logical sense, but I really like this show.

I like it because it represents that most rare of creatures, a post-apocalyptic tale that has an optimistic outlook. I'm tired of the gritty and grim throughout all of my science fiction. (Even Tom on Falling Skies has embraced his dark side.) I think the competence of the crew of the Nathan James is sexy as hell and while they are portrayed with very little nuance, I'm fully on board with them and their mission.

ETA: The Merchant Marines made an appearance! My uncle was a merchant marine. He told the greatest stories (almost certainly embellished for us kids) about his adventures at various ports of call. 

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6
(edited)

Does the Nathan James not have thermal cameras? Visual only targeting is so passe these days. And by rights Foster could have just gone to town with the Bushmaster and turned all of those mercs into red paste, although that would have led to superficial damage to that area of the superstructure. Still, smoke doesn't actually stop big fuckoff auto cannon rounds, and 25mm beats steel door hatch any day of the week.

Edited by Mars477
  • Love 2

I like the show for the same reasons, xaxat. And I thought this episode was an improvement over last week's. The action sequences are great and it's a fast hour. I like all the characters (although "Tex" has the potential to become annoying). However, it still feels like they've maybe milked the premise of this story beyond its natural expiration date, because:

It's bad enough that they are still all hep on the cure when it is so obvious it's usefulness is essentially el zippo.

Yeah, this. I mean, the story was built on the idea of this pandemic and the immediate need for a cure. They now have the cure, and have distributed it to other labs for mass production. And anyone who hasn't died by now is likely immune. So they've come up with these pirates, or this cult, or whatever the heck it's supposed to be, that's trying to destroy the cure, just to give the Nathan James something else to fight, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's entertaining, I'll give it that, but really kind of a stretch if you think about it too much.

Last week I wondered what evil immune cult was going to do against the Nathan James - never occured to me that they could somehow get their evil hands on an evil sub! This is deliciously ridiculous.

The Aussie guy is a great addition - the fight scenes were intense and I really appreciated to see someone using a gun to make sure none of the evil goons got back up. Less appreciated: Captain 'Humanity is lost without you'-once again going on an extremely dangerous mission. Seriously we know he's badass - he can be badass from a distance.

Are they paving the way for Danny and Kara to leave the NJ? At one point I thought the Israeli was Kara and Wolf is showing some major badassery. They gave Danny moments but they paled next to Wolf's. I'm guessing the timelines could be such that Kara wouldn't be far enough along for another two seasons but I saw the shadows of anvils in Norfolk regarding her departure. Although really how long can any of them stay in the ship? Distributing the cure can only take so long and be thwarted so many ways.

Does the Nathan James not have thermal cameras? Visual only targeting is so passe these days. And by rights Foster could have just gone to town with the Bushmaster and turned all of those mercs into red paste, although that would have led to superficial damage to that area of the superstructure. Still, smoke doesn't actually stop big fuckoff auto cannon rounds, and 25mm beats steel door hatch any day of the week.

Its been 30 years since thermal sights hit all levels of the 1st world forces. Modern smoke grenades also can obscure them. Judging by the rest of the death cult's gear that submarine probably had the very best stuff UK special forces use.

Yes this show is goofy at times. Okay, lots of times, but I'm still enjoying it completely! I have faith in our captain & our ship & it's just fun that way. Damn between hot seal & hot wolf all I could think about was being involved in some highly inappropriate animal action.

This new Australian guy, Wolf, is badASS! <snip> A quick Google search tells me that this guy is Bren Foster, and he's highly skilled in martial arts (LOTS of youtube videos of the guy).

I don't need to know this! It's late I should be asleep. I won't go look on YT. I won't go. I won't. Oh, who am I kidding? YT here I come!
  • Love 4

Once again the Captain goes Star Trek on us and includes himself on an extremely dangerous mission, and, on top of that, does not plan for the inevitable radio blackout that he was obviously aware of.  

I don't mind that Chandler goes on the missions.  It's a new world now, and I'd prefer more of Star Trek captain than the guy that just sits in his chair looking out the window while he tells his people what to do.  I like that the character of Chandler is hands on, and since they are in a completely new world now wehre technically the US military might not necessarily exist anymore, it's okay for him to go on away missions.  His XO is competent to take over if anything happens.  

So I hope and expect more Captain Star Trek in future episodes.  I'm okay with it.  I am not looking for complete military realism in this new version of the world.

I don't necessarily think that everyone who isn't infected is immune.

IIRC, the Nathan James was 4 months "radio silence" on its mission to the Artic while Dr. Scott looked for the primordial.  The Russians attacked and she was forced to tell the truth.  And then it took what 4/6 weeks for the rest of Season 1 to happen and for a cure to be developed?

In the meantime, we were told that "80% of the world's population was infected" and then "Wolfman" told the crew that at first they just heard about some strange flu and then all hell broke loose.  But did we ever get a full picture of where the infection was the strongest, the "white zones"?  Certainly dense population centers such as DC, Baltimore, Norfolk, London, Paris, etc were going to be hit first and hard.  And warmer climates (southern states, tropics, deserts) are breeding grounds for viruses.

But what about those in cooler/cold climates or less populated areas?  Or those who fled the cities such as the Captain's family? They didn't get infected until leaving to search for food.  Plus the virus is going to react differently in different people.  The elderly and the young will die first but others may linger for weeks.  We saw Dr. Scott giving sick people the cure on the streets of Baltimore.  Certainly there are many, many others in various stages of infection who could/will be saved.  And there will be secondary waves of infection as more people who hadn't previously come into contact with sick folks, do so.

So the big bads this season are doing the same as Alfre Woodard did last season.  She wanted to give the cure to those who she deemed worthy of saving while these folks don't want anyone else to be cured at all.

So the big bads this season are doing the same as Alfre Woodard did last season.  She wanted to give the cure to those who she deemed worthy of saving while these folks don't want anyone else to be cured at all.

The problem is that we have seen the big bad's boss the only survivors on a sub and the preacher with immunity spouting the religious reason that they are God's chosen. Complete with the attempt to infect patient zero, and presumably everybody else when they ran across him in a are you a chosen one or not test and then try  to destroy the labs containing the cure. The mercenaries were not wearing any kind of protective gear unlike the Maryland Troopers or Russians

The real threat at this point is whatever horrid new bugs are being created with all the unattended decomposing bodies and the potential of previously managed lab bugs being loosed with the near-universal loss of power.  What about all the domesticated animals which suddenly became feral?

Star Trek Chandler has more than proven his willingness to do whatever he was asking of his crew, which was the ostensible reason he became Kirk.  It really is ridiculous that he chooses to continue leading expeditionary forces.  He is much, much, more essential to the overall mission than his XO.  By a factor of about, oh, a gazillion.

I think the competence of the crew of the Nathan James is sexy as hell and while they are portrayed with very little nuance, I'm fully on board with them and their mission.

For sure!  They get scared and worried but know what they're doing.  The plethora of good looking guys doesn't hurt either.

I kind of casually watched this last season but the last couple of episodes I realized I cared about these characters.  I compare that to Falling Skies, which I'm also watching but not especially caring about anyone. 

I have no idea what's realistic military- and ship- wise, so it's all fun for me.

I just realized that it doesn't scan at all when Burk went up to Bivas and started talking about how the MP7A1 is a weapon that's better suited to the cramped quarters of a ship than her usual IMI Mini Tavor, because the Tavor, being a bullpup rifle, is already pretty well suited for close quarters. Wolf's Steyr AUG2 has similar qualities.

That said, he's a guy trying to start a conversation with a pretty girl. Saying something stupid is to be expected.

Question, when they sounded General Quarters, the crew on the bridge started pulling on gloves and scarves.  What was all that about? 

It protection against a flash fire should the ship take a hit from a shell or more probably a missile.

• Love 2