Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: "I hate BLTs from Kelly's!"

• Start Topic

Would the timing work for nuJason to actually be AJ? Wouldn't that be a hoot?

I think it could. In a universe where Jason is alive at all, AND Jake?

Sure, Jakeson could be AJ instead of Jason. Unfortunately, with all the bizarreness of the last year/year and a half, if they went there, GH would have officially jumped the shark. It was never Passions. It has similarities with Days, but does the world need another John Black/Forrest Alamain/Dimera character ? Sadly, no.

• Love 1

I think now that Billy's been slobbered on, he almost must be Jason. A funny thing would be Billy Miller is AJ, SK returns as the real Jason. SK beats BM and Steve Burton for an Emmy.

I have absolutely no doubt that if RC were still there, this is exactly what would have happened. RC wanted to do his "Tale of Two Todds" crapfest somewhere; and I would not be surprised if that were his original idea here, especially if BM exercised an early out.

ETA: Not that SK would ever be involved because he's fat and all.

Edited by kristabell
  • Love 2

I feel like I'm going to get into trouble for this, but here's my UO for today:

Whenever I hear people talking about how there aren't any doctors on contract anymore/doctors getting stories anymore, part of it feels somewhat...disingenuous to me, because the last time the hospital was the sole focus of the show was probably in the mid 70's, right before Gloria Monty arrived (so, I guess, 1977). I guess there have been times since where doctors have had more prominence on the show (the Labine era, the beginning of Scrubs), but it just feels like the hospital has taken a backseat to so many other things on the show for so long--dating back to before it was even a cultural phenomenon from 1979-1981--that hearing this, even if it means just giving doctors on the show story outside of the hospital, feels somewhat strange for me. I remember people in 2000 or 2001, when I first started looking online for soap stuff, asking what had happened to the hospital, and I can only imagine what older viewers thought when L&L had their sci-fi stuff going on, nno matter how big that was.

It feels REALLY good to let this out. I'll probably have to go into hiding for awhile now. ;) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4

Luke and Laura are given way too much credit in raising the ratings of GH. The quad of Alan (a doctor)/Monica (a doctor)/Rick (a doctor)/Leslie (a doctor) also played a huge role in bring up the ratings.

I think they went too fast with the Brad/Lucas relationship and don't think it was a great idea to find out they hooked up their first scene together. I feel the show wasted a good few months of stories with the two of them, not to mention redeeming Brad as much as possible vs. relying on Perry Shen's talents. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 2

Whenever I hear people talking about how there aren't any doctors on contract anymore/doctors getting stories anymore, part of it feels somewhat...disingenuous to me, because the last time the hospital was the sole focus of the show was probably in the mid 70's, right before Gloria Monty arrived (so, I guess, 1977).

I don't necessarily think the hospital needs to be the SOLE focus of the show.  For better or worse, the mob - and Sonny - are now an ingrained part of the brand and there's no eliminating that.

What I want to see is some balance, something it seems all the soaps struggle with.

• Love 5

I don't know.  There are plenty of fans that remember what GH was like before Sonny came on and ate the show (myself included).  Other families and other themes that dominated the show have come and gone.  They could very easily eliminate Sonny and his too-large family and have the mob go back to its former place.  It would be the best way to reinvent the show and ensure its future, IMO. 

• Love 4

I don't necessarily think the hospital needs to be the SOLE focus of the show.  For better or worse, the mob - and Sonny - are now an ingrained part of the brand and there's no eliminating that.

What I want to see is some balance, something it seems all the soaps struggle with.

Yeah, I think there should be some hospital. I'm not hankering for medical stories myself, but there should be more than one contract player focused at the hospital. Who is not Franco.

• Love 5

Maybe this should go in the history thread, but it's also a...reason, I guess, why this show needs contract players as doctors for the hospital. Even back in the mid 80's, when the whole DVX story was going on, with "Grant Putnam" being the doctor, married to Celia...his superiors wanted to either warn him, or were suspicious of him, and delivered a scorpion to the Quartermaine mansion, to Celia, who though it was from Grant.

Back at the hospital, someone told Grant about the delivery, he knew right away and just left, running out of the hospital, and ended up getting stung himself, saving Celia. Then there was a good time spent as the doctors, and especially Lesley, worked hard to find/get the antidote. I specifically remember how they thought they got it, only to find out it was for Black Widow Spider, and the frustration Lesley was going through, as time was running out.

Or how, after Monica operated on a woman, who died, and the woman's husband held her, Bobbie, and maybe someone else hostage...RobertFucking!Scorpio came to the rescue; ended up shot, because Luke tried to play hero...Holly showed up at the hospital, slapped Luke, saying it was all his fault...

Point being, outside non-medical stories at the surface, but connected with medical and the hospital, so that one could believe that this was a soap about a hospital.

This show hasn't been about a hospital in years.  Forget about the character and story beats. It's ALL about the midgety moobster and his brood.

• Love 11

Yeah, I think there should be some hospital. I'm not hankering for medical stories myself, but there should be more than one contract player focused at the hospital. Who is not Franco.

I mean, it doesn't even have to be medical stories per say.  They can just use the hospital to build friendships, have meet-cutes, introduce rivalries that don't have to do with crates of guns.

I also think the show needs an "adventure" component divorced from the mob.  I still think Anna should be put in charge of a new WSB field office in Port Charles and then you could spin some yarns from that.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6

Practically anything would be better than what we have now, which is basically all stories stemming from Sonny/the mob. But it would honestly be hard at this point to try to go for balance because nearly every character on the show is somehow related to Sonny/the mob.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

Bringing in some of Liz's family repopulates the hospital. A good Lucky recast or Sean/Tiffany's daughter provides basis for non-mob adventure stories. They had AJ/Michael well-positioned for business stories but RC fucked that all to hell with that dumb pickle shit and then AJ's murder.

I do wonder if this awful Nik/ELQ story was originally planned out with AJ in mind.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3

Bringing in some of Liz's family repopulate stage hospital. A good Lucky recast or Sean/Tiffany's daughter provides basis for non-mob adventure stories. They had AJ/Michael well-positioned for business stories but RC fucked that all to hell with that dumb pickle shit and then AJ's murder.

I do wonder if this awful Nik/ELQ story was originally planned out with AJ in mind.

Granted, it was only a couple of episodes but I thought the actress they cast for Anna Donnelly was fantastic. She would have been a great character, but instead we got jobless, Sonny-worshiper Kiki.

• Love 3

I have long advocated Anna Donely coming to town and learning the trade from her namesake.  The Annas could work at the WSB field office.  And then they can cast a hot WSB agent who ends up in a triangle with Lucas and Brad. #showinmyhead

• Love 6

This is a rather extreme unpopular opinion as a Maxie FF but I wish they kill of Georgie obviously not while her baby is playing her cause that's morbid. My reason for this is cause of the following reason it was done:

1. It was nothing but a means to an end too push Maxie back with toadface(Spin) as stated by Ron in a interview about BA & EW(Ellie)leaving. It's rather insulting to me that was the reason why she was made pregnant, through a way that was insulting to my intelligence & the female reproductive system.

2. It tied Spixie together for life & I despise that.

3.They have come up with one insulting reason after another too keep her child away from her.They're circling the drain on this issue. Jean & Shelley have done nothing to fix this at all.

4. Maxie didn't need a baby in the first place not this early anyways & especially not by a man child.

5. They don't even acknowledge the baby's legacy at all. Hell I don't remember Mac or Felicia once having scenes onscreen with baby Georgie. That's there grandbaby.

6.I hate that Maxie was even put in a position that the only way she can be a mother too her child full-time, is by being in a loveless relationship with some clown she wasn't in love with. It was insulting.

7.The whole thing shits on Maxie as a character by the lack of care & effort by the writers too rectify Ron's mistake. He didn't give a shit in the first place about Maxie or her as a mother & it showed.

Edited by NiqueAlexis
  • Love 7

I have long advocated Anna Donely coming to town and learning the trade from her namesake.  The Annas could work at the WSB field office.  And then they can cast a hot WSB agent who ends up in a triangle with Lucas and Brad. #showinmyhead

Love it, and the gay WSB agent is a great idea. I think she would make a good pairing with Michael. Her being the the daughter of the ultra cool gray hat cop Sean Donnelly and Michael being the Sonny ass kisser that he is. I would love it if in the first meeting, she tells him how Sonny wrecked all of her father's (and Scorpios) hard work in keeping the PCPD uncorrupted. 

• Love 4
This is a rather extreme unpopular opinion as a Maxie FF but I wish they kill of Georgie obviously not while her baby is playing her cause that's morbid. My reason for this is cause of the following reason it was done:

I agree with all your points, and, especially, this.  It would be so awful to see any actress have to play out the death of a child while that child was being played by their own child.  I couldn't watch it, and I wouldn't blame any actress for puling her kid as soon as the story was handed down. 

They could always retcon the paternity of Maxie's baby to make the father someone other than Spinelli ... it's not like realism or the laws of time and physics have any bearing on the stories anymore. 

I find Spinelli to be so unpalatable as a character.  It just seems like Spinelli is supposed to be the nerd who "earned" pretty, ditzy Maxie as some kind of trophy -- like the guy who thinks he can't get the girl because he's "too nice," but it's really because he's self-pitying and obnoxious.   That's a gross over-generalization, I'm sure, but that's the vibe I get from him.    

He was likable a million years ago when he came on to sell cancer-stricken Alexis pot, and the actor also did pretty good work when he found Georgie after her murder (although killing Georgie never should have happened).  Since then, it's all been super-annoying, convoluted speech patterns and his insane, cloying worship of Jason and Sam.  Any time he referred to them as "Stone Cold" or "Goddess," I wanted a bolt of lightning to fry him on the spot.    

Of course, I hate Maxie, too, so maybe they deserve each other ...

And I hate Alexis now, too, and always hated Jason, and Sam bores me into oblivion.    Are we sensing a pattern here, folks?  

• Love 8

The Maxie fan in me doesn't want to have to lose yet another person in her life to death, especially her daughter. She's already lost BJ and the older Georgie. I don't want to see her lose her daughter, too, unfortunate parentage or not. 

I guess I still choose to see the good side of Maxie. 

• Love 2

But death on this show is fluid, so he could come back again. So I choose retcon of the father.

But that's fluid too. How many times did Nik's paternity get changed? Franco's?

There is no escape! :weeps:

• Love 5

I think Johnny Z should just be in a hot polygamous relationship with Maxie and Lulu. Also, Brandon Barash needs to give lessons to the cast on how to entertain. I suspect one line would be "do every scene like you're only here for a few days."

I also definitely second killing off Spinelli, but can we keep Ellie? I've always wanted Michael /Ellie. He deserves a smart woman, not a dumb girl.

• Love 5

I'm okay with the hospital of the title being less focal than it was long ago; I just hated the period when the only purpose it served on the show was for people to be taken there after the latest mob-related shooting or bombing. It made something of a comeback in the mid-'00s once Liz became a nurse, Patrick and Robin were core characters, Steven returned, new characters such as Lisa and Britt had medical backgrounds, etc. At least now I once again see the purpose for there to be a hospital set. Remember the dark ages when the show might as well have been called The Penthouse?

Here's a massive unpopular opinion: I f---ing loathe Ric Lansing, and I never even liked Rick Hearst in the role. I couldn't stand either Ric/Liz or Ric/Alexis. I'll be nominally on the side of almost anyone brought on to destroy Sonny, but that whiny, ineffectual wuss? Please. It was about 75 percent the way they wrote him and 25 percent Hearst's needy portrayal and over-the-top dye job. Promising idea, terrible execution. But any character created as a Sonny antagonist in the Guza years was going to get kneecapped in the crib. You knew they would come out the loser more often than Cliff Barnes.  

• Love 2

Here's a massive unpopular opinion: I f---ing loathe Ric Lansing, and I never even liked Rick Hearst in the role. I couldn't stand either Ric/Liz or Ric/Alexis. I'll be nominally on the side of almost anyone brought on to destroy Sonny, but that whiny, ineffectual wuss? Please. It was about 75 percent the way they wrote him and 25 percent Hearst's needy portrayal and over-the-top dye job. Promising idea, terrible execution. But any character created as a Sonny antagonist in the Guza years was going to get kneecapped in the crib. You knew they would come out the loser more often than Cliff Barnes.  

I'll sit at your table. I'm not a Ric fan. I mean, needy to get into Sonny's good graces? No thanks.

Why does everyone have to be loved by Sonny? Wtf is it about him? His dimples? They're not great.

As this is the UO thread, I challenge anyone to list 10 reasons without comparison to other characters to say why Sonny is great. Or you know what, 5. I don't care if it's pretty hair. Anything Sonny related.

I think he will always feel guilt over what happened to Lily, because he at least liked her as a friend and related to her over a shared lifestyle?

It's something. 

• Love 2

One of the very few good things about the hemorrhaging daytime audience in the years post-O.J. trial is that we've been spared a Young Sonny spinoff series showing us his hopes, dreams, heartaches, and hellish home life in detail. There would be an Adela, a Deke, an Olivia...blech. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 1

One of the very few good things about the hemorrhaging daytime audience in the years post-O.J. trial is that we've been spared a Young Sonny spinoff series showing us his hopes, dreams, heartaches, and hellish home life in detail. There would be an Adela, a Deke, an Olivia...blech. 

Hellish? The way Sonny, Olivia, and Connie used to reminisce it was all great times of cooking, eating pasta, traveling to Coney Island and going to Yankees games. Nevermind that with Adela being the only Cuban is an Italian neighborhood neither she nor her son would've been welcome in those days. And Sonny wouldn't have been spending all his time outside of the house becoming the Italian cooking masterchef.

• Love 4

Hellish? The way Sonny, Olivia, and Connie used to reminisce it was all great times of cooking, eating pasta, traveling to Coney Island and going to Yankees games. Nevermind that with Adela being the only Cuban is an Italian neighborhood neither she nor her son would've been welcome in those days. And Sonny wouldn't have been spending all his time outside of the house becoming the Italian cooking masterchef.

The way Sonny, Lois, Olivia, Kate, Dante, and Brooklynn have talked about Bensonhurst over the years, its apparently stuck in the 1920's.

• Love 5

IF, and this is a really gigantically large IF, we have to have Kiki, I wish that KA was still playing her. And I hated KA's Kiki. But I don't know, I just can't stand to watch everyone fawn all over HE's Kiki like she's this little lost flower. Kiki was always a little witch which Hayley can play, but Kristen made her work better somehow. Even though I thought KA desperately needed acting lessons. HE is probably the better overall actor, but it's not enough to warrant her staying.

And now I'm going to go drink a gallon of wine for these thoughts. I'm ashamed.

• Love 6

I want Franco to go all serial killer again and bump off: Ava, Julian, Kristina, Jason, Alexis.

You had me at "Alexis."

Here's a new one: I hate "miracle babies." When if the viewers are supposed to sob along with a character who finds out she cannot conceive / give birth then I think the show needs to stick with it. And I really, truly hate it when a "miracle pregnancy" is the excuse for putting the character in endless peril so emphasize how awful it would be for this poor woman to lose her miracle baby. Ditto to "I had a miscarriage once so now I'm going to freak the fuck out the next time I get pregnant." (Looking at you, Carly.)

Woman who go through infertility/inability to carry to term go through serious mental anguish and the kinds of medical procedures that most of us will never have to even hear about let alone endure. The show would dare cure Robin of being HIV positive but it thinks nothing of making magic peen cure pregnancy problems. Take note, gals, if you can't have a baby it's because you haven't found the right peen yet!

And while I'm dissing motherhood and apple pie. I hate shows writing an actress's pregnancy in more than once. It usually makes no storyline sense and it feels exploitive as hell. Liz and Sabrina can carry a big purse like every other soap heroine. 

• Love 5

I thought Bobbie couldn't have kids because D.L. Brock abused her when they were married and she was forced to have a hysterectomy?

At least Becky's first pregnancy was covered up, because Liz was barely out of high school in 2001. 

• Love 1

Mo's interview with Michael Fairman made me have a crazy ass thought that kinda shocked me.

Jason, from the start, should have been sharing scenes with Sonny, Carly, Sam, Michael, Morgan, Danny, Joss, Monica, regardless of the story. Whether he went back to being a Q or stayed a Morgan, hated the mob or loved it, those characters should have always been sharing scenes with him.

It's especially crazy to me that this show just completely forgot about Jason's lifelong bond with Michael. I never thought I'd see the day that happened. It's so weird and I never even cared.

I guess it's just strange to me because even though I may have hated Jason since '99, the writers completely erased his history. Why recast him to begin with if the intention was to wipe the character clean?

• Love 4

Ric Lansing had the misfortune to be part of the first GH storyline to stick in my memory: sticking poor pregnant Carly in that vault. I didn't know a lot of the history even when my mom explained it to me so there was Tamara Braun acting her heart out stuck in that panic room and Liz on the outside gettting...drugged, was she drugged? And then there was Ric, the absolute psychopath. Hated him ever since.

Yes, Ric was overdosing Liz with birth-control pills, because he blamed Sonny for the loss of their other baby (Faith actually had shoved Liz down steps). He was going to take Carly's baby away when it was born, and he...preferred that idea to Liz just getting pregnant again and having one of their own? She had a stroke or an embolism or something, unfortunately right at the point she discovered Carly in the panic room. Awful story. 

Yes, Ric was overdosing Liz with birth-control pills, because he blamed Sonny for the loss of their other baby (Faith actually had shoved Liz down steps). He was going to take Carly's baby away when it was born, and he...preferred that idea to Liz just getting pregnant again and having one of their own? She had a stroke or an embolism or something, unfortunately right at the point she discovered Carly in the panic room. Awful story. 

I need to see a scene where Morgan is pulling one of his tantrums, and then they pan to Ric whispering to himself, "thank God my kidnapping him was foiled!"

• Love 15

At that time, Liz's uterus was newly minted, wasn't it? They didn't write in Herbst's 2001 pregnancy (and it was one of the most obvious "pregnant actress/non-pregnant character" situations I've ever seen), and I think the on-show pregnancy via Ric was Liz's first. It's interesting to think about how GH history might have been different had Faith not shoved Liz down those steps. 

• Love 1