Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: "I hate BLTs from Kelly's!"

• Start Topic

Jason really and truly loved Robin -- I never liked that relationship much, but Jason did really love her for most of that time.  He allowed his priorities to get all fucked up, though, and that destroyed them piece by piece (working for Sonny, lying for Carly, etc.)

The problem with Robin / Patrick is that, when Robin came back in 2005, they had changed her character.   This was not exactly the same Robin who popped up a year or two early on AMC (to be reunited with amnesiac Anna) or came to Lila's funeral.  That Robin smiled more and seemed content with the life she had built for herself.  When they brought her back in 2005, they made Robin seem lonely and jaded and too-serious, made her seem like she never got over Jason dumping her and the baby Michael fallout, and played it like she was just as judgmental as Carly had always claimed.   I think it was to make her a foil for Patrick (the sexy fun cad) and to elevate Carly (that character also changed -- Carly was no longer insecure, she thought she was the shit and the audience was supposed to find her pushiness "cool" and "honest").    

I always wanted Robin to develop more of her parents' fun, witty side.  She actually would have been well-served to be a lot more arrogant and stop caring what anyone else thought - rather than sighing and looking put-upon while everyone calls her sanctimonious and victimizes her.  

• Love 6

Stone>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jason AND Patrick.

From what I can tell, Robin hasn't a guy truly committed to her since she was a teenager. I've only seen clips/read about each of these stories, not watched them in real time (minus some Scrubs stuff), but as far as I can tell, Robin's true love has been dead for 20 years.

Or, at the very least, Patrick and Stone tie for her true love.

It's kinda easy to be a "true love" when you're a teenager - especially if you die tragically young. Real adult day to day life is a grind.

I do believe that Stone would've adored Robin but I don't know that they'd have been a good match as they grew into adulthood

I always wanted Robin to develop more of her parents' fun, witty side. She actually would have been well-served to be a lot more arrogant and stop caring what anyone else thought - rather than sighing and looking put-upon while everyone calls her sanctimonious and victimizes her.

She was pretty earnest even as a kid and whoever she might've been without the HIV diagnoses, I do think that made her lonelier and more serious - especially in that time period.

It wasn't a disease you lived with - it was a disease you died from and she watched Stone die from it. That's haunting - and quite frankly, having her only post HIV relationship with a man who couldn't understand/feel fear wasn't helpful in terms of developing a normal relationship with another person

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 4

It's kinda easy to be a "true love" when you're a teenager - especially if you die tragically young. Real adult day to day life is a grind. I do believe that Stone would've adored Robin but I don't know that they'd have been a good match as they grew into adulthood

Oh, absolutely. But it just seems like her chance at a good true love kind of stopped with Stone, and that's sad. At least as far as her side of a romantic relationship was concerned, anyway.

I've always thought that Stone was the young love/first love and Jason was the second-chance/transitional love. None of the relationships were long enough or adult enough to be the love of Robin's life, IMO. They were all so, so young.

I think people pick on Patrick (I mean, hello, I'm the president of doing that) for various things that happened during Scrubs, but that's what happens when soap couples last so long. More crap is thrown at them. They have to endure more and fight for the relationship more.

I always wanted Robin to develop more of her parents' fun, witty side.

That's who Robin was around Patrick.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 4

I believe, that Patrick is the love of Robin's life, and that Robin was the love of Jason's life. I only have to recall, and pull up and watch all the Jason and Robin clips (which I have been doing ever since Tuesday's scenes) as proof. It may have been Steve's real life crush on Kimberly, I don't know, but Jason has never looked at anyone, the way he looked at Robin. And until their nasty break up, which was ushered as Kimberly left the show, he really, really really loved her. She's the only one he left the mob for, even if it was for a short while.  And that is one of the main reasons Cujo is jealous of her--that Jason loved Robin, but just screwed her; that Robin had Jason first and was able to keep him until she managed to manipulate him so that they would break up, by dangling Michael over his head.  In the end, I laughed my ass off, because she didn't get him.  And Cujo can spout all the "you're my best friend!" all she wants, but Jason always looked at her in sufference when she would demand his attention.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 9

I've always wanted Jason to wake up and respond to Carly's 'you're my best friend' shit with 'I'm not your friend, I'm your maid. I'm your hired help. Friends know how to let go and allow each other space and room. You think I'm constantly at your beck and call. That's not friendship. That's ownership!'

And hey, since Carly barely mourned when he died, I don't buy her 'best friend, need so much' crap anyway.

• Love 11

I've always wanted Jason to wake up and respond to Carly's 'you're my best friend' shit with 'I'm not your friend, I'm your maid. I'm your hired help. Friends know how to let go and allow each other space and room. You think I'm constantly at your beck and call. That's not friendship. That's ownership!'

And hey, since Carly barely mourned when he died, I don't buy her 'best friend, need so much' crap anyway.

Exactly. The way she just barged into Jason's hospital room after Patrick removed the tumor? and while Robin was telling him to take it easy, she's all like 'What are you still doing here?' Your job is done, go leave because he belongs to me, and I'm so insecure that you might become friends again and I can't have that after all the trouble I went to to break you guys up.

Same attitude when Robin was asking him for help to make her disappear.  As if Robin doesn't have the right to breathe the same air as Jason, and besides, Jason is supposed to be at her beck and call.  And it took Jason yelling at her to shut her up. But it was Robin pointing out that something was wrong and he needed to go back to Patrick for a check up, to actually see something was wrong with Jason. 

• Love 2

Why would she mourn Jason when she had Fraaaanco?

Ugh. I still can't believe RC pulled that shit

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 5

It was Todd she had first (vomit.) Remember how ticked off she was when she found out that Todd had kept Danny from Jason? I mean, sure, it was lukewarm compared to how Carly would actually react but still... Did she ever get ticked off at Johnny because it 'wasn't his secret to tell?'

But then, immediately following Todd (who went back to where he belonged, praise to the Aesir) she had Fraaaanco.

She's the worst.

• Love 7

It just shows Ron ruined everyone. There's no way in hell Carly would get involved with the man who facilitated her favorite child's rape. Carly is a lot of terrible things, but she's not that terrible. And the way everyone basically handwaved her doing that was absurd. Michael should have cut her dead from the minute she got together with Franco.

• Love 8

I still kind of love that they had her quickly glom onto Franco, the guy who had caused Jason so much pain (along with facilitating her favorite child's rape).  I feel like it showed exactly how selfish Carly truly is.  Jason was dead, he wasn't around to do shit for her any more.  She needed a new guy to prop her up.  And she thought he was Jason's twin, so he was the closest she was ever going to come to screwing Jason.  It clearly illustrated what a shitty, self-centered person Carly truly is.  

• Love 7

I hate Carly, but I think the Franco shit isn't something even she would've done if FV/RC weren't so desperate to bring OLTL to GH, whether their pets fit or not.

And if they didn't, the GH characters would be warped to MAKE them fit.

• Love 8

I hate Carly, but I think the Franco shit isn't something even she would've done if FV/RC weren't so desperate to bring OLTL to GH, whether their pets fit or not.

And if they didn't, the GH characters would be warped to MAKE them fit.

Oh, you're absolutely right. Ron wanted to pair up Todd and Carly. Period. Never mind that these characters are not suited for each other at all. Never mind that all of those who insisted that Blair was 'too stupid' for Todd conveniently forgot that Carly is a fucking imbecile. It's what Ron wanted and when he lost Todd, he jammed the closest character he could think of on Howarth (Franco) and shoved him at Carly to live out his little wet dream. 

Again, never mind that it was fucking ridiculous to even go there with that character too.

Ugh.

• Love 7

I think it encapsulated how selfish she is along with how incapable she is of going without a man for 10 seconds.  

My UO - I see zero reason for Patrick to be mad at Liz.  As today's repeat episode reminded us, once Sam knew Jake was Jason but that knowing who he was didn't send him running to his ride or die twu wuv, she decided to go full steam ahead with the divorce, because staying latched on to her second choice was preferable to giving her husband two seconds to process his identity and see how the recovering memories and feelings thing was going to go for him, and Patrick was perfectly happy to go along with that.  The only reason she and Patrick ended up breaking up (aside from the writing decisions that needed to be made to accommodate JT's exit) was because Sam got reason to believe that Liz knew Jake was Jason, and she latched on to that.  

Given that behavior from both Patrick and Sam, had Liz been open about who Jake was from the time she found out (when Patrick and Sam were already involved), there's no reason to think that Sam wouldn't have pulled the same "well he knows who he is and still wants Liz, so I'm going to marry a guy I clearly don't love enough to marry," and Patrick would have happily gone along with it because Robin wasn't back, and he needed someone to warm his bed and raise his daughter.  

Add on that both Patrick and Robin love Liz and have been close with her for years, and while they don't approve of what she did with Jason, she's still their close friend who they love, who didn't do anything to either of them.  

I know, I know, the only respectable response from either is to pull out a gun, shoot Liz, put her through a wood chipper, burn those pieces down to ash, and spread the ashes in multiple, non-connecting bodies of water so they can't re-form.  But, considering the shit each of them has forgiven in loved ones in the past (and, in Patrick's case, has received forgiveness from loved ones in the past), it makes more sense to me that both have drawn on their own life histories and realizations that even decent people do some messed up stuff some times.  Add in their longstanding friendship with her, and they're not choosing to put her in stocks in the town square where they sell rotten vegetables for the all of Port Charles to throw at her.  

And, let's be real, if Liz had told Patrick the truth back when she found out, based on how he's acted the past year or so, he would have likely agreed to the line of thinking that "everyone is better off this way," and wanted to keep it between the two of them so as not to rock the boat.  

I love Liz, but I agree that there are a lot of people who should be long term mad at her.  Patrick and Robin just don't fall in that category for me.  Patrick because Liz keeping the secret fell right in line with what he wanted to happen in his life.  And Robin?  Liz didn't do anything to her.  She had zero idea that Robin was being held against her will.

Edited by KerleyQ
  • Love 9

The better story would've been Roger as Dr. Stephen Lars. You have another doctor, instaconflict with Carly/Olivia, conflict between Sonny and Stephen Lars because Stephen Lars saved AJ's life and is a mostly law abiding citizen while Sonny is a criminal, no Franco, no Roger Howarth playing a shit character, no Roger Howarth as a blonde, and Roger/Robin scenes.

But a doctor wasn't interesting enough for Ron. Too bad because Roger/Becky/Billy/Kelly/Laura would be having killer scenes now.

• Love 4

Correct me if I am 100% wrong, but aren't Nina and Franco rather superfluous to the show now?  Even as comic relief they fall flat.  I don't get why, other than author contracts they are still on the show.  They're pathetic storylines go nowhere and accomplish nothing.  Why hasn't Nina just bought Crimson from Julian?  Why is Franco still in town at all? 

• Love 5

Why is Roger Howarth on GH? He's a great actor. Why is he playing Franco? That question is debatable. But we all agree it was a shit choice. Why is Nina? Because Frank hates us all.

Here's my early entry for most unpopular unpopular opinion of 2016: I think the character of Nina has potential. The idea of a character awaking from a decades-long coma and having to deal with the modern world is decent. I was meh at best about Phyllis on Y&R the few times I watched but I think Stafford can give good performances with the right material. Playing a 20 year old in a 45-something body, however, can only work as a story line for a limited time. That time has passed. I don't see Nina as a horrible person - she's messed up and what she did to Ava was horrific but given the show's choice to play those scenes as demented comedy it's hard take it seriously. Also, Nina spent more time in the looney bin for kidnapping then Ava or Sonny spent in prison for murder. The writers were smart to pair Maxie with Nina. Now they need to have Nina mature. She can still be occasionally baffled by 2016 but she needs to, well, grow up.

On the RoHo front, I never got the Todd Manning love on OLTL. I've seen a few of RoHo's performances on YT and some were good, some were ok. I saw more of RoHo on ATWT and I liked him better there. The whole Franco thing needs to be retconned away. Just like AJ's death.

• Love 4

I agree that Nina could have potential, if the writing and the way MS is being directed to play her would take advantage of that potential.  Ever since they decided to reel her back in from the scheming woman she was when she first hit town and the woman who forced Ava into labor and stole her baby, they've been playing her and her "love story" with Franco as some weird melding of OLTL's Jessica thinking she's a 17 year old virgin again and AMC's teenage autistic Lily falling in love with the brain damaged "they cut the bad out" Jonathon.  

• Love 9

I know this is an UO, but I like MSt when she plays a for real grown up. That's why I liked her initial scenes with Roger. I also get Nina being pissed at Ava, as she can't very well be mad at Murdered Silas anymore. Even moreso because I do think her Coma Baby survived. I'd like a Morgan/Nina fling to get back at Ava/Carly. Why? Because it seems like the kind of off the wall thing that Morgan would do after learning Avery is his, and heads would explode. But only if MSt is grown up and sexy and BC is all in like Amor.

• Love 1

I do think Nina still has potential in theory and toning down the crazy was a good first step to making her viable with at least a portion of the audience. I also think giving her a career and having her interact with someone *normal* like Maxie is good. But, if the writers are serious about trying to integrate Nina into PC and make her somewhat normal they have to get her away from Franco. Franco is an irredeemable disaster and he's never going to be a successful character on this show. Stop trying to make fetch happen, stupid writers. 

• Love 7

Am I the only one who feels ANY sadness for Keesha over losing Jason after his head met the tree, even if moving to AJ afterwards was probably an upgrade?

I know J&R have a lot of fans, but a girl still lost her boyfriend because he couldn't remember her (and didn't care to remember her). The fact that they were distantly related (both Jason & Keesha AND AJ & Keesha) is kind of weird and creepy, but still. 

• Love 5

UYI, You aren't the only one that felt bad for Keesha. I had a bit of fondness for Jason/Keesha and it must suck when the your first love and lover doesn't remember you but treats you like shit.

I am really pissed off at the writers that they made Maxie fail yet again at something, and not only that something that she should be good at. I want to tweet Jean Passanante to focus less on her left wing causes on twitter and focus more on the show after the green magazine incident today. I don't blame WeNeverCared, not because I think she is a immature sociopath (which I do) because she wouldn't know what the hell she was doing because she should be an intern, not the editor and chief, but it made Maxie look incompetent and stupid. She had been working at Crimson for years under the tutelage of perfectionist Kate Howard. If this was Maxie circa 2007- 2009, Maxie would be camped out at the printers herself. I will go as far and say this incident is out of character for Maxie. 

• Love 1

I don't mind this story, and as I said in the episode thread, I think we're supposed to believe Julian sabotaged the issue. I like that everyone is being active about how to solve the problem instead of wringing hands and being all in despair. 

I agree that it's dumb Nina hasn't made an offer to buy Crimson. Wouldn't Julian be able to write off the debt no matter what? We've seen Nina willing to put her own money into the magazine; they need to at least pay lip service to her buying it. Julian can give some dumb reason why he won't sell, but float the idea, FFS.  

• Love 4

I guess it's um a long con tax scheme. And um something about weird Julexis sex. I tend to not pay great attention during their scenes. I replace NLG with Danny Divito and Will DeVry with Charlie Day. So really, I could've heard Nightman Cometh or rules to Chardee MacDennis. Dennis is a bastard man.

• Love 2

Julian can give some dumb reason why he won't sell, but float the idea, FFS.  

That's what I'm saying half the time with this show. At least the writers should show us they see the same holes we see. 

• Love 3

I would at least be intrigued, possibly interested in Liz being paired with Scott/Heather's son if he wasn't also f'ing Franco.

But I'm not willing to pretend he's a completely different character because TIIC finally seem to realize that Franco was a mistake. They shit the bed; they get to lie in it

• Love 10
Liz being paired with Scott/Heather's son

Wouldn't they be cousins or something, given that Stephen Lars is Heather's son and Liz's brother? I guess not technically, but still, that's too close for me. 

ETA: Franco is her half-brother's half-brother, so I guess he's her quarter-brother, if I remember my genealogy.

Edited by dubbel zout

I would at least be intrigued, possibly interested in Liz being paired with Scott/Heather's son if he wasn't also f'ing Franco.

But I'm not willing to pretend he's a completely different character because TIIC finally seem to realize that Franco was a mistake. They shit the bed; they get to lie in it

Here's what it would take for me: this was an epic mistake so the bigger the mistake the more senior the person making the apology needs to be. So, Mickey Mouse would need to stroll on screen and offer his sincerest apologies for inflicting this on us. And he'd have to kill Sonny to prove he means it.

• Love 8

Wouldn't they be cousins or something, given that Stephen Lars is Heather's son and Liz's brother? I guess not technically, but still, that's too close for me. 

ETA: Franco is her half-brother's half-brother, so I guess he's her quarter-brother, if I remember my genealogy.

I um think that um.... magnets? No I really don't think Liz/Franco are related at all. It's just fucking weird.

Well, well, well. Never thought I'd get to work that IASIP reference in.... but eh.

Here's what it would take for me: this was an epic mistake so the bigger the mistake the more senior the person making the apology needs to be. So, Mickey Mouse would need to stroll on screen and offer his sincerest apologies for inflicting this on us. And he'd have to kill Sonny to prove he means it.

I won't lie, there is literally no story line I wouldn't embrace if Mickey Mouse strolled on screen, begged my forgiveness, and offed Sonny as a peace offering.  None.  I don't care how stupid, how insulting, how beyond credibility it is, I'm in.  Just give me a cartoon mouse offing the Moobster.  I'll take two awful story lines if it's Daisy Duck who offs him instead.  

• Love 13

I won't lie, there is literally no story line I wouldn't embrace if Mickey Mouse strolled on screen, begged my forgiveness, and offed Sonny as a peace offering.  None.  I don't care how stupid, how insulting, how beyond credibility it is, I'm in.  Just give me a cartoon mouse offing the Moobster.  I'll take two awful story lines if it's Daisy Duck who offs him instead.

I'd be ok with Sonny if the following happened :

Zombie Kid starts drawing weird pictures that scare Franco, but no one cares beyond him and Liz. The pictures depict a man being shot, a man in a hospital bed, and a man sad... etc. Jason gets confused, as he has flashbacks, confiding in Sonny. Zombie Kid tells Sonny, as he's beginning to walk "I know you shot my uncle." Sonny begins having anxiety and nightmares and can't walk or do anything. He gets paranoid and guilty, thinking he will get some retribution for killing AJ.

Why? Because I do think that Helena would have some ultimate mind fuck wild card with Jason/Carly/Sonny/The Q's. I also think having Sonny feel something besides aww I lost Michael or wanting to bang Carly over murdering a legacy character would look better, plus it makes what happened to the kid more interesting.

• Love 1
The better story would've been Roger as Dr. Stephen Lars.

Oh, I like this idea. Because the one good thing coming out of this present story? Becky Herbst and Roger Howarth work very well together. He isn't doing anything out of the ordinary by his standards, but she's really stepping it up. She's very vibrant in their scenes together, giving as good as she gets. Maybe she's bought into the whole "Roger Howarth, daytime legend" thing.

I do have respect for Howarth. Few could do what he did in making the Todd Manning character one OLTL felt it should keep around and try to rehab. I watch those 1993 scenes and think that with 99% of the other actors who could have played that role, the character would have been worm food in a year. At his best I find RH riveting. 

Franco should have remained James Franco's little side project, though. Howarth as Steven Lars would have been better. Neither of the two actors who have played that character in this century have worked for me at all. Shaun Benson seemed too lightweight for this soap as it was at the time, and Scott Reeves looked and acted way too old. He always seemed more like Liz's father than her brother. Howarth isn't much younger, but he's a livelier performer and he hasn't tanned himself into the consistency of beef jerky. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 1

I think Roger Howarth is vastly wasted on Franco. But tbh anyone would be wasted on Franco. I think it was a waste of GH time to even have Franco in the first place. I also think ME got screwed by having a boring character like Silas and then being anchored down to MSt doing that baby voice. Ron screwed a good bit of actors on both GH and OLTL.

• Love 3

Best Post of 2016

• Love 3

I won't lie, there is literally no story line I wouldn't embrace if Mickey Mouse strolled on screen, begged my forgiveness, and offed Sonny as a peace offering. None. I don't care how stupid, how insulting, how beyond credibility it is, I'm in. Just give me a cartoon mouse offing the Moobster. I'll take two awful story lines if it's Daisy Duck who offs him instead.

If Fin, Jane, and Genie had done a PSA that essentially said "hey everyone, we know this show is complete shit right now, but we promise it's going to get better", and then it actually did even marginally, I would stick around.

That said, I totally would have 'settled' for Mickey Mouse shooting Sonny in the back and then Minnie kicking his body into the harbor.

Hell, then pay the South Park guys to record a voiceover: "oh my god, they killed Sonny", "you bastards took long enough".

Oh, I like this idea. Because the one good thing coming out of this present story? Becky Herbst and Roger Howarth work very well together. He isn't doing anything out of the ordinary by his standards, but she's really stepping it up. She's very vibrant in their scenes together, giving as good as she gets. Maybe she's bought into the whole "Roger Howarth, daytime legend" thing.

I do have respect for Howarth. Few could do what he did in making the Todd Manning character one OLTL felt it should keep around and try to rehab. I watch those 1993 scenes and think that with 99% of the other actors who could have played that role, the character would have been worm food in a year. At his best I find RH riveting.

Franco should have remained James Franco's little side project, though. Howarth as Steven Lars would have been better. Neither of the two actors who have played that character in this century have worked for me at all. Shaun Benson seemed too lightweight for this soap as it was at the time, and Scott Reeves looked and acted way too old. He always seemed more like Liz's father than her brother. Howarth isn't much younger, but he's a livelier performer and he hasn't tanned himself into the consistency of beef jerky.

I think RoHo would have sucked as Steven Lars, Alexander Cascading, or whoever because has extremely limited range. Edited by Tiger
  • Love 2

Instead of Mickey Mouse killing Sonny, he should kill Jason the saint Morgan instead

This, always. If we have to have one of Alan's sons, we should get to have AJ-the interesting one. Jason, in any form, with any pairing, during any SL, has always bored me. I think BM  looks bored/confused in most of his scenes, and I guess that's his amnesiac interpretation, but it doesn't endear him to me. I'm willing to give him more attention if he actually interacts more with the Qs, but otherwise, I don't really care about him.

I'd be fine with it being revealed he isn't really Jason, or with him dying again, if he isn't going to actually BE a Q, and get a personality this time around.

• Love 4

This, always. If we have to have one of Alan's sons, we should get to have AJ-the interesting one. Jason, in any form, with any pairing, during any SL, has always bored me. I think BM  looks bored/confused in most of his scenes, and I guess that's his amnesiac interpretation, but it doesn't endear him to me. I'm willing to give him more attention if he actually interacts more with the Qs, but otherwise, I don't really care about him.

I'd be fine with it being revealed he isn't really Jason, or with him dying again, if he isn't going to actually BE a Q, and get a personality this time around.

Would the timing work for nuJason to actually be AJ? Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Edited by JaneDigby
  • Love 3