Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: History Rhymes

Amanda and Doc Yewll must enlist the Omec for help rescuing Nolan and Irisa, who have fallen into an unexpected and potentially fatal tour of their own past. Meanwhile, Datak and Stahma prepare a decisive move against Gen. Rahm Tak, leader of the Votanis Collective.

Get some Nolan/Irisa flashbacks.  Ah, such memories!  Hey, remember the time when Nolan use to hate all non-humans and even used one as target practice?  Or how Nolan taught Irisa how to kill your first unarmed man?!  Yes, but I'll counter that with this: here's the time Irisa almost murdered Nolan in his sleep!  Good times!  And now they find out thanks to that tech in their head, they can be more then a mile from each other.  Sounds like fun times for that duo.

Damn, they sure went as far as they could at having Jaime Murray show as much skin possible during that Stahma/T'evgin, without actually showing enough to get them into HBO territory.  Impressive!  Of course, T'evgin wasn't willing to put his ship at risk for Alak; she's not that good, apparently; but they still seem to enjoy each others' company, and that's clearly pissing off Datak, which I'm finding highly amusing.

Speaking of Alak, he escapes General Rahm!  And goes straight after Stahma, for what she did to Christie.  Alak ain't fucking around.  I wonder if he's going to tell Amanda and the rest about Rahm's plan?  Noticed we're are getting signs that some are buying into Rahm's hype, with that bit where the Tarr's servant was praising him.

Loved getting plenty of Yewll tonight.  The snark was awesome as always, but I do like that she actually seems to respect the new former vet dude.  I hope he sticks around: I'm sure she could use the help.

Kindzi/Omec lady clearly isn't going to pay attention to her dad, and is going to do something with whatever that material she is that she got from Yewll.

Well, at least Berlin did go find Irisa, once she realized Nolan was going to die.  Still not sure that quite makes up for just leaving her to die, but, hey, in Defiance, they'll probably forget about it by next week.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, now we know why Nolan is so ruthless and trained Irisa to be that way. I think that Irisa not wanting to kill and wanting to leave is all manufactured drama to create tension between them rather than genuine conflict.

Yewll, "You are asking Dr. Doolittle?" Bwah!

Datak and Stahma always get away with their crimes so I don't expect that Alak will get his revenge, but I will enjoy watching him try.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Why was Nolan able to close his sister’s eyes when he couldn’t touch anything else? And what were they supposed to be learning/knowing with all the flashbacks? Or are we supposed to think the memories were completely random?

Little Irisa was adorable.

Interesting that Alak is choosing Christie over Stahma, I don't think he would have done that before.

• Love 1

Wow Alak found his balls and escaped General Genocide all on his own. I'm so proud of him. I am curious if he'll be less cranky once he finds his baby in the house.

The Omec are fascinating. I like that Papa Omec is being more considerate of risks than in his first episode where he was expecting the 'lesser races' to capitulate to his demands.

Perhaps the town of Defiance would like an army of Doc Yewel clones. Imagine the snark of a clone army ...

(edited)

Knives are an up close and personal weapon of choice for someone who, deep down, doesn't want to kill. Seems a little ret-conny, but I'll go with it. I wasn't too fond of her wild child portrayal anyway.

When Alak got home, I'd totally forgotten that he had a reason to hate his mother. I wasn't surprised - he was prepared to leave with Christy (though skeptical) when Mad Mama kidnapped them.

Stahma and Datak are such bad people - but boy are they a hoot to watch. They, and Yewell, are much more complicated than any of the other characters - even with the layers of memories they've added for Nolan and Irisa. I bet they're fun to write for.

I enjoyed the banter with the veterinarian. I had hoped it would go something like that.

I like Papa Omec, but the daughter gets on my nerves. I don't really like characters (on any show) who are heedless and stubbornly do whatever they want without understanding, or appreciating, the consequences. Nolan veers into that territory now and again, and it bugs me.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

Why was Nolan able to close his sister’s eyes when he couldn’t touch anything else? And what were they supposed to be learning/knowing with all the flashbacks? Or are we supposed to think the memories were completely random?

IMO, the flashbacks were meant to show that originally baby!Nolan was this tolerant, sort of reluctant, non violent kid and young adult until he joined the war. He idolized his big sister who he basically mimics throughout the entire series if you go back and re watch (the Johnny Cash, "this isn't how I raised you" & "we live or die together" to Irisa). But he lost her due to his fear and inability to act so NOW he's never going to lose someone else he loves again due to their inability to pull the trigger. He's going to drill this thought process into baby!Irisa's head until it sticks hence killing the Casti bounty hunter.

Cut to the Nolan the audience knows, who's brash and isn't afraid to kill those if they're putting the people he protects in danger. And about Irisa I think we're meant to learn that she was NEVER comfortable with the violence, the whole pacifism post the destruction of New York is her true self and she's finally admitting it aloud. She was just doing all those things in the past because she loved Nolan so much.

• Love 3

But he lost her due to his fear and inability to act so NOW he's never going to lose someone else he loves again due to their inability to pull the trigger.

I'd say that he lost his sister due to the fact that the enemy soldier played upon his trust and naivety, getting Nolan to lower his weapon, giving the enemy an opportunity to shoot the sister.

• Love 3

I like Papa Omec, but the daughter gets on my nerves.

And of course he just assumes she's going to do what he says and destroy the vial.  Suuurrrre.

The Nolan/Irisa mindmeld was interesting but to what end?  So they could understand each other better?  I hope we get past this "one mile separation" problem quickly, how (in)convenient.  They're still my favorite relationship on the show. 

Did like seeing Alak get his badass on.  Go Alak!!  Of course he's not going to kill Stahma. Stahma has found a new parter with Papa Omec, a challenge for her right now.  With Alak back will she continue that relationship?  Though they work well together, she doesn't need Datak.  I wonder about Datak and being sidelined for so long; he's a wild card.

• Love 1
Damn, they sure went as far as they could at having Jaime Murray show as much skin possible during that Stahma/T'evgin, without actually showing enough to get them into HBO territory.  Impressive!

Seriously.  I was wondering if that's how Casti women look au natural, or if that was some sort of skin-hugging lingerie. I suppose it was sort-of the same type of material they use on Mystique in the X-men movies.   I guess she still figures that she can use T'evgin in some way, even if he won't risk his ship for her/Alak.  And now, of course, he won't have to.  I'm sure that "last minute", someone will come into the room with the baby and Alak will release Stahma.

Nice fill in back story for Nolan and Irisa, though as good as she got with using weapons and violence, it didn't seem like it bothered her all that much before.  So seems a little ret-con there.

Great snark, as always, from Yewll.  And of course, the Omec daughter won't destroy the brain scan and skin piece.

• Love 1
(edited)

Damn. I thought I was finally going to see the tail end of Ms. Nyira and her visions and mystical, trembling ignorance and pant, pant, pant, acting. So tired of her.

Loved getting plenty of Yewll tonight. The snark was awesome as always, but I do like that she actually seems to respect the new former vet dude.

She continues to be my doll parts. My enjoyment of each episode lives or dies by how much she's in it.

One thing I'll say for this show -- the writers eventually give everyone their comeuppance, temporary or permanent. Series regulars included. They set up the hateful baddies, like Black Jonah Keller, as low-hanging peaches, and boom, plucked and dead. It's awkward to admit how satisfying that is for me as a viewer.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1
(edited)

Kindzi/Omec lady clearly isn't going to pay attention to her dad, and is going to do something with whatever that material she is that she got from Yewll.

Daddy dearest had better have done something to ensure the scan's destruction.  Trusting his daughter when she says "Yes, Commander" would make him far more stupid than he's seemed.

Knives are an up close and personal weapon of choice for someone who, deep down, doesn't want to kill. Seems a little ret-conny, but I'll go with it. I wasn't too fond of her wild child portrayal anyway.

I actually prefer the "wild-child" vs the softer, gentler Irisa.  Either way, it's definite a ret-con and a heavy-handed one at that.

==================================================

I really, really hate that glop like vindaloo is presented as the epitome of human cuisine.  The Omec are carnivores -- take them to a place that celebrates meat -- a Brazilian steakhouse, a Korean barbecue, An American burger stand, etc.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2

.. There is the slight problem that those cusines are likely suffering from somewhat of an.. ingredient shortage. Uhm..  how *does* defiance eat, anyways? Hydropondics? Farming seems a whee bit problematic, given the hellbugs. Or do people eat hellbug? 

• Love 1

I just want to say that I enjoy this show. I can nitpick, but compared to Fallen Skies amd other ilk, Defiance usually is entertaining and sometimes is surprising. And I love the various alien cultures. Feels very Farscape-ish.

So the Omec father just keeps lying to everyone about he and his daughter being the last of ther race, right? Given we have seen a shot of Omec in stasis on the orbiting ship?

Damn, they sure went as far as they could at having Jaime Murray show as much skin possible during that Stahma/T'evgin, without actually showing enough to get them into HBO territory.  Impressive!

Seriously.  I was wondering if that's how Casti women look au natural, or if that was some sort of skin-hugging lingerie.

I know I had my eyes glued to the screen and I'm a heterosexual woman. Whoever did the makeup and clothing for her in those scenes is a genius and deserves an Emmy.

Imagine all the parents who think the Syfy channel is OK for their 14yo boys!

• Love 2

.. There is the slight problem that those cusines are likely suffering from somewhat of an.. ingredient shortage. 

If they're going vegan, there are still better options.  Loma Linda, a company run by Seventh Day Adventists who don't eat meat, has all sorts of yummy meat-like dishes (and several that are unabashedly vegan).  Chinese and Japanese cuisine has evolved without using meat -- green beans with hoisin sauce beats vindaloo any day.

Imagine all the parents who think the Syfy channel is OK for their 14yo boys!

If I was a 14-year-old boy, i would think it was more than OK!

• Love 1

.. There is the slight problem that those cusines are likely suffering from somewhat of an.. ingredient shortage. Uhm..  how *does* defiance eat, anyways? Hydropondics? Farming seems a whee bit problematic, given the hellbugs. Or do people eat hellbug? 

The first episode specifically mentioned people in town raising cattle and ranching so I would imagine they have most of the standard farm fair like potatoes, grain, veggies etc

Wow Im kinda surprised the scene with Nolan using the Irath as a dart board got past the sensor, that was really was disturbing. Mostly because of Irissa presence. I actually found that hard to watch. I don't blame her for being afraid of Nolan, him seeing it for the first time was heartbreaking though.  I like that the show isn't afraid to show that everyone in this new world is a little fucked up.

Alak actually showed he is a Tarr this episode. In a lot of ways Alak is the least fucked up of all our characters and has the solidest moral compass. Which is why I hope he can work things out  with Stahma,  For all her faults she actually a good parent and probably the main reason Alak is as solid as he is. Lord knows Datak was probably no help in that department

• Love 2
The first episode specifically mentioned people in town raising cattle and ranching so I would imagine they have most of the standard farm fair like potatoes, grain, veggies etc

Or they could be raising Pow -- a pig/cow hybrid.  Last season, I seem to recall there was a sign at a butcher shop about Pow for Sale.

• Love 1

Wow Im kinda surprised the scene with Nolan using the Irath as a dart board got past the sensor, that was really was disturbing. Mostly because of Irissa presence. I actually found that hard to watch. I don't blame her for being afraid of Nolan, him seeing it for the first time was heartbreaking though.  I like that the show isn't afraid to show that everyone in this new world is a little fucked up.

Alak actually showed he is a Tarr this episode. In a lot of ways Alak is the least fucked up of all our characters and has the solidest moral compass. Which is why I hope he can work things out  with Stahma,  For all her faults she actually a good parent and probably the main reason Alak is as solid as he is. Lord knows Datak was probably no help in that department

If he gives Stahma a chance to explain, it's clear that she killed Christie to save the baby. We all know Christie was dead either way and if Stahma didn't do it, Datak and Christie would be dead and possibly the baby too. She got them out of the house before he cried. I'd think that would at least give him a little pause before straight up slitting her throat.

I'm glad Alak was able to escape on his own... but I do wish Datak and Stahma had told Nolan what was going on... he probably would have helped them get Alak and they could have worked together to protect Defiance by feeding the VC wrong info etc. But I guess that's too much teamwork when the Tarrs are so often the 'bad guy.'

So the Omec father just keeps lying to everyone about he and his daughter being the last of ther race, right? Given we have seen a shot of Omec in stasis on the orbiting ship?

I am under the impression that it is a half-truth. He has said that the reason they want to get the Gulanite is to repair their ship and then they plan to take it to see if there are other surviving Omec ships. So he is not admitting that there's a crapton of Omec in stasis on his very own ship, but he's acknowledging the notion that there may be other Omec out there.

More to the point, there is presumably a reason why he hasn't just revived the X number of Omec aboard his ship. I suspect that part of the reason is that Gulanite/repairs are needed to get them out of stasis, and if they can't accomplish those things, the Omec on their ship are effectively dead.

I think even when he was talking privately to Daughter Omec he said something like "we might be the last of our race."

• Love 1
I am under the impression that it is a half-truth. He has said that the reason they want to get the Gulanite is to repair their ship and then they plan to take it to see if there are other surviving Omec ships. So he is not admitting that there's a crapton of Omec in stasis on his very own ship, but he's acknowledging the notion that there may be other Omec out there.

More to the point, there is presumably a reason why he hasn't just revived the X number of Omec aboard his ship. I suspect that part of the reason is that Gulanite/repairs are needed to get them out of stasis, and if they can't accomplish those things, the Omec on their ship are effectively dead.

I think even when he was talking privately to Daughter Omec he said something like "we might be the last of our race."

Ah, thank you. So here is the part that confuses me: The two Omec have a choice. They can revive their crewmates, or at least as many as they would need to start colonizing Earth, and make Earth a home base to support their later efforts to find other Omec, or they can get enough ore/fuel to revive some (or none) of their fellow Omec in stasis and just take off and look for more Omec ships, leaving Earth behind.

To me, option one makes the most sense. So logically, how much ore/fuel would they need simply to bring other Omec out of statis? I would think it would be a lot less than is needed to propel the ship elsewhere. And the daughter (Ithink) said they were 60 percent there to what they needed to power the ship.

I guess I keep thinking that a Wraith-like culling of the Earth and eventual colonizing is doable now, and yet everyone (including the Omec) keep saying they might be the last two of their kind.

^I think it's too early to say.

Maybe Daddy and Daughter Omec need/want the ship to be at 100 percent before trying to revive other Omec. Maybe they actually know that there are no other surviving Omec ships and the notion that they'll go away peacefully to search for other ships is a complete lie. 

We know there are a lot of Omec in stasis, but even with their presumed technological and biological superiority, is that enough to colonize Earth on their own?

Part of what we're lacking right now is a sense of perspective. 

We haven't really heard from anybody affiliated with the Earth Republic or seen much in the way of fallout from New York being destroyed. We have no idea what the Earth Republic's reaction is to a potentially operational Omec ship in orbit. Or for that matter, of the official VC's since we now know that Rahm is rogue.

We don't know what defenses Earth has to spaceships, if any. 

• Love 1