Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

I mean, Rachel's not WRONG, but it's pretty clear what Mike's "type" is... and it's not women who look like Rachel either. So Mike as the Bachelor might've meant a white brunette influencer is the "winner" instead of a white blonde influencer. Yay for diversity! (And weren't 3 out of Rachel's final 4 guys white?)

Edited by dom16
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, dom16 said:

I mean, Rachel's not WRONG, but it's pretty clear that what Mike's "type" is... and it's not women who look like Rachel either. So Mike as the Bachelor might've meant a white brunette influencer is the "winner" instead of a white blonde influencer. Yay for diversity! (And weren't 3 out of Rachel's final 4 guys white?)

Two.  Her fiancé Bryan is Hispanic.  

I really can't stand Rachel and I never was able to. She just has always reminded me of Andi and just doesn't have a pleasant personality.

Also, I know many will disagree with me, but how is it not racist to say that "we have another white bachelor, so what is this 24 peters? Boring". So just because he's white, he has to be boring and every single one of them has to be the same? Believe me, if Mike were the bachelor, he'd have to follow the same exact script that the rest of them do. It's not the men who are boring, it's the format of the show and the lines the leads are given that they have to say season after season.

• Love 8

Mike's not the Bachelor, not because he's black, it's because he's an obnoxious ass. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/mike-johnson-says-a-black-bachelor-should-have-been-cast-after-peter-weber-reveal-exclusive/ar-AAHuYL2?li=BBnb7Kz

According to Reality Steve, no other potential were even approached.  he said Mike was never even contacted about being the lead, so all I smell are sour grapes.  Steve has amazing sources, so I believe him.  

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Mike's not the Bachelor, not because he's black, it's because he's an obnoxious ass. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/mike-johnson-says-a-black-bachelor-should-have-been-cast-after-peter-weber-reveal-exclusive/ar-AAHuYL2?li=BBnb7Kz

According to Reality Steve, no other potential were even approached.  he said Mike was never even contacted about being the lead, so all I smell are sour grapes.  Steve has amazing sources, so I believe him.  

Mike did not speak ill of Peter. But I thought this was a strange answer.....

Why do I think it wasn't me? I have no idea. I can only speak on my personality and the wonderful man that I am.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I heard his behavior at the reunion show was very controlling and condescending, though I didn't watch.  I never cared for him in either show he was on.  Peter does look a bit chipmunkish, and I'm sure his girls will be superficial,backstabbing and critical beauties.  But he'll be cooperative and compliant, so the producers will love him. 

Filming begins tomorrow, so let the fun begin!  

• Love 4

I started listening to Ali & Rachel's podcast. Though she did not bash Peter, she was quite angry about Mike not being Bachelor. She said the past years, the men have all been white and boring. I am all for a person of another race being the lead. However, what bothered me about Rachel's rant is that 3 out of 4 of her final 4 were "boring white men". And so is her husband. That's a bit hypocritical, IMO.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, leighdear said:

Yeah, I think the show would love to have had Mike as Bachelor because they know people are anxious for "The First Black Bachelor" but Mike just wasn't the guy to do it. 

I don't think every Bachelor has been the same it's just that as the show goes on, they all realize it is a game and they have to play a role in order to get what they want (fame, followers and a passport to Bachelor Nation). Mike would have played it too but IDK that he was as popular once he hit Paradise, and there were a few moments on Hannah's season that also cost him some fans. 

Peter is very... safe. He's generic, he's agreeable, he's got a good job, and he has the whole "windmill" thing they can hang all their puns and jokes on. I also think, more for Bachelor than Bachelorette, they look for the most bland lead they can and then cast the women to be the crazies, because if this franchise is anything it is misogynistic and is desperate to reinforce the idea that "women be crazy!" Peter is the perfect blank canvas to cast a couple dozen famewhores against. 

• Love 11

It's just trendy at the moment to say "Mike should have been Bachelor" to prove no racial bias.  I guarantee loads of those women wouldn't actually choose to go out with him over Peter, but it's "inclusive" and "color blind" to say so.    Just my opinion, of course.

There are plenty of black men that I have, and do find attractive, compelling and downright sexy.  Mike is NOT even close.  I find his attitude, bearing and manner of speaking unattractive.

However, I would debase myself to unimaginable depths for Tyson Beckford.  *LOL* 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 8

I am listening to Rachel and Ali's podcast. Rachel is interviewing Mike right now. He told a story about having a disabled parking permit because he is a veteran.  No one respects veterans more than me. But I did not see one thing that would lead me to believe he has a physical disability that warrants a disabled parking permit. Am I missing something?

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I know I wouldn't have looked forward to hearing Mike tell 25 different women, "I have two queens in my life, my mother and my sister and now I'm searching for my third queen."  Blerk.

Kenny the wrestler would be my pick for first black Bachelor, but I'm sure he wouldn't fit the standard mold enough.  Kenny has so much charism to me, he just sparkles.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, nutty1 said:

I am listening to Rachel and Ali's podcast. Rachel is interviewing Mike right now. He told a story about having a disabled parking permit because he is a veteran.  No one respects veterans more than me. But I did not see one thing that would lead me to believe he has a physical disability that warrants a disabled parking permit. Am I missing something?

Nope, just an additional sense of entitlement that we haven't seen so blatantly before.  He sure had a time cavorting on that Mexican sand, tossing back the alcohol and basking in the sunshine.  Poor guy, must have been miserable for him.  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I know I wouldn't have looked forward to hearing Mike tell 25 different women, "I have two queens in my life, my mother and my sister and now I'm searching for my third queen."  Blerk.

Kenny the wrestler would be my pick for first black Bachelor, but I'm sure he wouldn't fit the standard mold enough.  Kenny has so much charism to me, he just sparkles.

I liked Kenny too. And Eric (?Bigger - I am bad at names) too.

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 3

Black candidates for this show are held up to some pristine standard.  They must act like the Pope -- why?  Wasn't Juan Pablo obnoxious?  Didn't Chris Soules murder someone?  True equality means treat black people like human beings the way white people are treated on this show.  White candidates are allowed to do whatever the hell they want before being cast.  Arie was a playboy who had been around and around and around and around before he was cast.  Why can't black candidates be given that same luxury?  Why couldn't Mike have been the first black Bachelor?  Who cares if some people think he's an "ass"?  That's true for almost every Bachelor in history, is it not?  I'm sure the women the Bachelors have rejected in the past have some shit to say about some of them.  Some people hated Nick before he was cast.  Nick was tarnished and had a lot of baggage for slut-shaming Andi - didn't he?  This was BEFORE he was cast.  A lot of people didn't like Kaitlyn because she asked Chris to plow her field -- So?   The standard that Mike or any black person has to live up to before Bachelor Nation will accept them is ridiculous.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Black candidates for this show are held up to some pristine standard.  They must act like the Pope -- why?  Wasn't Juan Pablo obnoxious?  Didn't Chris Soules murder someone?  True equality means treat black people like human beings the way white people are treated on this show.  White candidates are allowed to do whatever the hell they want before being cast.  Arie was a playboy who had been around and around and around and around before he was cast.  Why can't black candidates be given that same luxury?  Why couldn't Mike have been the first black Bachelor?  Who cares if some people think he's an "ass"?  That's true for almost every Bachelor in history, is it not?  I'm sure the women the Bachelors have rejected in the past have some shit to say about some of them.  Some people hated Nick before he was cast.  Nick was tarnished and had a lot of baggage for slut-shaming Andi - didn't he?  This was BEFORE he was cast.  A lot of people didn't like Kaitlyn because she asked Chris to plow her field -- So?   The standard that Mike or any black person has to live up to before Bachelor Nation will accept them is ridiculous.

I think that is a little unfair. I think if all is equal, we can talk crap about, or fawn over, any contestant, regardless of skin color. For example, if Peter said he had a disabled parking permit (per my last post), I would be all over that also. I am not afraid to speak positive or negative about any of them. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

An interesting tidbit from Mike's interview. He definitely interviewed to become the Bachelor and just found out the day of the taping of the BIP reunion that he was not chosen. He was quite bummed.

Isn't that what they all say?   I don't believe a word of it.  

2 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Isn't that what they all say?   I don't believe a word of it.  

What don't you believe? That he was interviewed? He told all about the spreadsheet he made of the type of women he likes. He said (and Rachel agreed) they do ask for your preferences.

• Useful 1

Based on the fact that Mike chose Caelyn over Oneyka, I can't help but wonder if Rachel believes that him being the Bachelor would change his thought process.  Speaking of Rachel, this is the same woman who had two white men as her final two and actually married the last one standing.  All of a sudden she remembers that she is black.  Bitch, please. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Black candidates for this show are held up to some pristine standard

Thinking about it I can sort of agree. I had to remind myself that the show really only cares about ratings, if they cared about advancing society they wouldn't have started a show where 25 women vie for the love of one man in the first place.  Yet they want their fans to think the show is relevant, so we have little bones tossed our way, like mixed couples and (gasp) lesbians kissing. 

But when it comes to picking their lead, it's all about who they think will pull in viewers --Juan Pablo and farmer Chris both had a huge fan base after we first saw them.  Women couldn't say Juan Pablo's name without fanning themselves and because of some little stabs at peace making Chris had made during his first appearance on the Bachelorette, we all mistook him for the salt of the earth. Soft spoken Nick had a ton of fans who thought Andi should have picked him.

So then along came Mike with his twinkling eyes and bright smile and I think they would really have liked to have him as their first black bachelor, but he wasn't getting the fan approval they hoped for.  Is it that the show is holding black men to a higher standard or was it that the buzz from the fans wasn't good enough for them to think ratings will stay high?  I think we just need a lot more African American men to chose from in the next B'ette crop.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

Based on the fact that Mike chose Caelyn over Oneyka, I can't help but wonder if Rachel believes that him being the Bachelor would change his thought process.  Speaking of Rachel, this is the same woman who had two white men as her final two and actually married the last one standing.  All of a sudden she remembers that she is black.  Bitch, please. 

Rachel only had long term relationships with black men, pre-Bryan. So I’m pretty sure she’s never forgotten that she’s black. And while Bryan may be viewed as a white Latino to some, I think it’s a little disingenuous for some to act like, especially in the current social climate, that people like him don’t face their own discriminations. Also, I may be wrong but I’m not sure that Bryan has ever said he identifies as white. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, nutty1 said:

What don't you believe? That he was interviewed? He told all about the spreadsheet he made of the type of women he likes. He said (and Rachel agreed) they do ask for your preferences.

I believe he was interviewed, I think he just said what he wanted to be true.  What does a spreadsheet have to do with anything?  It's used to compare numerical data using mathematical formulas, and that makes absolutely zero sense, no matter what Rachel said.  

Why would you need a spreadsheet to say you prefer tall, athletic blondes, or busty, brunette dancers?  Ridiculous. 

Whatever, he'll go back to being a whining nobody and Peter will be a good, malleable smooch machine.  

Rachel strikes me as wily.  She knows how the game is played.  If she wanted a black Bachelor, then perhaps she should have taken three black guys to her final four, which would have upped the odds, instead of three white guys.  This woman is nothing but a damn hypocrite.  Who cares what she thinks?!

• Love 7

And who would have been those three guys from her season, because apparently she had SO many to choose from?

Demario who turned out to be a liar, Will who made little effort with her and then admitted he’d actually never dated black women and Josiah who could never stop being on, long enough to ever seem completely genuine. I guess she should have brought Ivy League educated Anthony to the end despite the obvious lack of chemistry between them.

And then she would have been accused of only bringing black guys to the end to make some statement and so that would be read as disingenuous too.

Rachel brought a black guy she genuinely liked to the end, whether or not it was just friendship. And he was a nice guy and some did suggest him as a potential lead. But the reaction to him by some viewers was to criticize how he spoke and decide he just didn’t look right. And well we all know the producers decided Peter was going to be their next lead, until he wasn’t.

And seems to me people are caring an awful lot what Rachel thinks. I personally don’t care that Mike is not the Bachelor because one, I don’t care that much about this franchise and it was clear the producers were set on Peter months ago. The only thing that caused a potential snag was the insane popularity of Tyler that they clearly didn’t expect. But lucky for Peter, Tyler wasn’t interested.

So all that to say I have no issues with Peter’s being the lead but I understand Rachel’s feelings and opinion on the issue. An opinion she is certainly entitled to and the intense reactions to said opinion is certainly interesting.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Rachel only had long term relationships with black men, pre-Bryan. So I’m pretty sure she’s never forgotten that she’s black. And while Bryan may be viewed as a white Latino to some, I think it’s a little disingenuous for some to act like, especially in the current social climate, that people like him don’t face their own discriminations. Also, I may be wrong but I’m not sure that Bryan has ever said he identifies as white. 

Totally agree.

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

And well we all know the producers decided Peter was going to be their next lead, until he wasn’t.

Was Rachel's hot Peter going to be the next Bachelor after her season?  What ended up happening?  He didn't want to do it?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Was Rachel's hot Peter going to be the next Bachelor after her season?  What ended up happening?  He didn't want to do it?

Did any of Rachel's guys ended up bachelor? I forget who was Bachelor after her. 

Maybe if they stopped this stupid recycling cast shit we could get a good black lead. But as it is, most of the Bachelorette's are going to go with the guys they like, and so far not a lot of them have favored more than one or two of the black candidates, so the black guys tend to go out early, we don't get to know them so they can't build up much of a fan base and therefore will not be considered for Bachelor. 

I do think that Mike was a fan favorite before he went to Paradise, not THE favorite, but he was pretty well liked for the most part. There were a couple times on Hannah's season where I did see fan tides turn against him so I think sending him to Paradise was TIIC's way of testing his popularity to see if he'd be able to sustain a season and he failed. His popularity while on Paradise took a massive hit and cost him the chance. Not because he's black but because fans turned on him due to his Paradise behavior. 

The only thing I really liked about Mike was that smile. He does have a great smile that lights up. Other than that I can't say I would have cared one way or another for a season of him. He's about as bland as all the rest and seems like he'd toe the company line much like Peter, but Peter won with the double whammy of being a pilot (so they could dust off their LP of "On the Wings (or Windmills) of Love") and the whole windmill backstory which will give them SOOOOO much to work with. Mike just didn't have that hook. 

• Love 8

Arie came after Rachel. 

Supposedly her Peter didn't want to be Bachelor because he'd just gotten his Personal Trainer business running and didn't want to go through more ABC bullshit.  At the end, he seemed to barely be containing his frustration with the process, and to me, seemed completely over the whole thing.  

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/peter-kraus-reveals-why-he-turned-down-the-bachelor-w509381/

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:
18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Did any of Rachel's guys ended up bachelor? I forget who was Bachelor after her. 

Arie was made the Bachelor after Rachel's season because talks with Peter fell through. There was a lot of rumor and conjecture for awhile and Reality Steve was adamant that Peter was going to be The Bachelor and they had gotten as close as making the announcement and negotiations fell through.

I do remember a whole clusterfuck of GMA tweeting that the new Bachelor would be announced and a few hours later the tweet being removed and it was another week before they finally announced Arie. But more importantly, Peter himself did an interview with Lauren Zima a few months after Arie was announced and all but admitted he was going to do it but then he let the criticisms he got online about his being a hypocrite if he became The Bachelor get to him enough to make him sabotage it.

• Useful 3
40 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I like him better with the face scruff, rather than clean-shaven.  He's got great lips. 

He's got such a baby face I think he needs a bit of scruff to counter that. He's a good looking guy, he just looks so incredibly boyish a lot of the time. (Of course I also like a guy with a little bit of scruff so I'm biased.)

• Love 3
On 9/21/2019 at 11:03 AM, Mabinogia said:

I do think that Mike was a fan favorite before he went to Paradise, not THE favorite, but he was pretty well liked for the most part. There were a couple times on Hannah's season where I did see fan tides turn against him so I think sending him to Paradise was TIIC's way of testing his popularity to see if he'd be able to sustain a season and he failed. His popularity while on Paradise took a massive hit and cost him the chance. Not because he's black but because fans turned on him due to his Paradise behavior. 

Which was what?  What did Mike do on Paradise that was so atrocious?

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Which was what?  What did Mike do on Paradise that was so atrocious?

I don't remember what the reason is, I'm going by things I've read online. The vibe I have seen is that, as usually happens, he was liked on the first show he did and lost some of that appeal when he did the second show. Not sure why. I stopped watching this season because it was total rubbish to me and I realized it was a waste of time spending hours a week watching people I can't stand.

I could be wrong, but the vibe I've seen online was originally very pro Mike then about half way through this shows run seemed to take a turn.  

• Love 2

He didn't really do anything on Paradise to make people turn on him, per se... but it definitely plummeted his Bachelor stock. You need to appear desirable and sought after, and he went after Caelynn, who chose Dean over him, then he went after Sydney, and their "relationship" ending was seemingly so boring we didn't even see it. Then he went after Angela, who chose Chase over him, and he was eliminated at a rose ceremony. Compared to the two Bachelors who went on BIP, who were both involved in one "serious" relationship throughout their Paradise run and were the ones to break it off at the end.

Really, Mike's best move would've been to pair up with Onyeka (who was vocally into him), stay with her for most of Paradise, and then break up with her towards the end like Nick and Colton did. I don't think he ever would've gotten the Bachelor over Pete (and frankly, Mike's mega thirsty, embarrassing campaigning on Instagram has instilled me with a deep sense of schadenfreude that he wasn't rewarded), but his Paradise run was not what they want in a future Bachelor.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Mike also demanded that Blake apologize to Caelynn for text-gate. This situation wasn't about him at all, and it seemed like he was only siding with Caelynn to make himself look good to the largely female audience. He seems calculated and fake.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Mike also demanded that Blake apologize to Caelynn for text-gate. This situation wasn't about him at all, and it seemed like he was only siding with Caelynn to make himself look good to the largely female audience. He seems calculated and fake.

Yes, for the same reason, I sort of quit liking him when, at Hannah's ATFR,  Luke P apologized to the group and Mike took it upon himself to speak for the group and say that he just couldn't accept the apology.

Another thing that made him seem calculated  was hearing him use the "I already have two queens..." line a second time.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Mike also demanded that Blake apologize to Caelynn for text-gate.

Ugh. Well that's all I needed to know. Anyone who sides with her after the truth came out is either an idiot or up to something and I think you are dead right, we was trying to work the female vote. I think Mike, with his "my queens" BS, his defending Caelynn (clearly just because she's female, since what she did is far worse than anything Blake did) and just a general feeling I got from him on Hannah's season sees himself as some kind of white knight/defender of women. But I think it is a calculated persona to get him laid. 

Thank you guys for the Paradise intel on Mike. I didn't think it was anything huge he did, I just noticed a chance in how he was being received and I do think that helped cost him the lead. That and the show not having anything windmill equivalents to play with all season. 

I'm starting to think even more than I did before that Hannah and Peter concocted the whole windmill thing as a way to get him the gig. It certainly put him on the Bachelor Radar. The way they acted when she was all "it was more than two times" gave me such an "inside joke" vibe that I knew it wasn't true, I just couldn't figure out how much of it wasn't true or why they were going there. It would also explain why his family was happy about it, since I doubt they were that happy about Peter banging a girl four times and getting dumped shortly after, but they might be happy to have him get the well paid Bachelor gig if they know he is a fame whore. 

• Love 7
On 9/20/2019 at 9:42 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's very possible that Mike wasn't as suggestible as these other fellows were.

The only way the Bachelor works is if the guy (or the girl for Bachelorette) can take direction and not argue about it.  Mike strikes me as very much a guy who would look at a producer and say, 'no way am I doing that - it's stupid/hurtful/impractical/malicious.....  whatever.  Look at the stupid stuff Hannah was pushed or pulled into doing.

Not everyone is that mean or stupid or ignorant or suggestible.  Once that contract is signed, the victim (meaning the lead) is stuck doing whatever they're told.

I applaud Mike for having more common sense than some of the knuckleheads we've seen the last few seasons.

• Love 2

Long IG post from Cassie....it was an impressive post, IMO. Sometimes in pictures I see, she just doesn't look happy. I think it is in her eyes....and smile. I hope they make it, if it is what they both really want. I think Colton would marry her tomorrow. But she is doing this the sensible way, and I give her credit for that!

110.png210.png310.png410.png

• Love 2
On 9/26/2019 at 8:26 PM, nutty1 said:

Long IG post from Cassie....it was an impressive post, IMO. Sometimes in pictures I see, she just doesn't look happy. I think it is in her eyes....and smile. I hope they make it, if it is what they both really want. I think Colton would marry her tomorrow. But she is doing this the sensible way, and I give her credit for that!

110.png210.png310.png410.png

Yeah Cassie seems likable once you get past her inarticulate ways . But I agree with you , I just don’t sense that she’s into it . I think that she felt like she had to be with him so she didn’t live up to her rep as trying to be the next bachelorette and not wanting to be with the lead on her season. She takes pictures with him but she seems more in Love with her sister than with him . I just don’t see it lasting and it doesn’t seem like she has any interest in taking their relationship to the next level . But who knows 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Sigh.  I'll always remember how Ben said she stepped out of the limo and the world stopped. Then he took her on a hot tub date and said he couldn't stop kissing her, he could kiss her for the rest of his life.  I never saw anyone so besotted and I guess she performed the same magic with Chris Lane.

Cassie, Lauren Bushnell, Arie's Lauren -- all three ultra thin blondes and no obtrusive personality to interfere with the fantasy. Dream girls.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, nutty1 said:

I would not have even recognized Lauren in the People photo. She at least has gotten Botox in her lips. Why do these young girls do that?

I didn't recognize her and since this show has had so many Lauren's I couldn't for the life of me figure out which one she was. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1