Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Do any of these toilet paper commercials actually influence what brand people buy?  

My decision is made when I'm in the TP aisle, and it's not based on bears wiping,  or women telling me to go commando.  It's based on this -   Charmin makes too much dust, so whatever brand is on sale that is not Charmin is what I buy.  

• Love 4

That freeze-frame with Elliott Gould's lookalike showing me that he's not wearing underwear and I know he's carrying them in that little gift bag? I feel faint...

Admittedly, when I started buying my own toilet paper in college, I bought what my mom used because it was economical. Once I became more ecologically educated, I bought what wasn't made from razing forests, but made from recycled paper. (No, not recycled toilet paper, kids.)

• Love 2

I wasn't quite sure where to put this...I didn't hate the commercial, but I don't necessarily like it either.  

After the first 10 or so seconds, I thought, "Whoa, what?!  Julie's life totally sucks."  Then, by the end, I found Julie to be totally hardcore, living a boss life feeding safari animals and tooling around in some sort of safari jitney with a cool dog.  You go, Julie...

• Love 1

I wasn't quite sure where to put this...I didn't hate the commercial, but I don't necessarily like it either.  

After the first 10 or so seconds, I thought, "Whoa, what?!  Julie's life totally sucks."  Then, by the end, I found Julie to be totally hardcore, living a boss life feeding safari animals and tooling around in some sort of safari jitney with a cool dog.  You go, Julie...

lol.  I was all WTH Julie?!  Who shot you?  And why?   How am I to relate to this???

• Love 4

I saw this GoDaddy ad this morning.  Um..yeah.  Something tells me she won't get many non-related customers if she keeps doing that.

UO: I thought the "stick it" woman was kind of funny.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 2

Buick is running a series of ads pushing the idea that their cars look just like everyone else's; so much so that you might get into the wrong car. How is that a good thing?

Yeah, the whole "It sure doesn't LOOK like a Buick" is something I don't get.   I guess I don't have some image in my mind of what a "Buick"  is supposed to  look like, but the commercial is making me think I should have the idea that Buick = old and boring?  So the NEW Buicks are challenging that idea - but also reinforcing it. 

• Love 3

The Buick ad that makes me 'scratch my head' is the one where the woman gets into the wrong car. The one with the guy eating the sub. It looks like she was standing right in front of her friend's Buick before she crossed the street, so why didn't her friend stop her from crossing the street and getting into the wrong car ?

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 2

The Buick ad that makes me 'scratch my head' is the one where the woman gets into the wrong Buick. The one with the guy eating the sub. It looks like she was standing right in front of her friend's Buick before she crossed the street, so why didn't her friend stop her from crossing the street and getting into the wrong Buick ?

Yeah, there's that.  I don't know car makes/models.  they all look the same to  me.  If someone is picking me up and tells me on the phone 'I'm in the Buick" - that tells me NOTHING.  Why  would you be telling a friend on the PHONE what car you're in?  Put down the phone, honk the horn, flash the headlights, roll down the window and wave your arm yelling your friend's name.  

• Love 8

The Buick ad that makes me 'scratch my head' is the one where the woman gets into the wrong Buick. The one with the guy eating the sub. It looks like she was standing right in front of her friend's Buick before she crossed the street, so why didn't her friend stop her from crossing the street and getting into the wrong Buick ?

That ad bugs the hell out of me mainly because the guy eating his lunch looks so startled when she gets in the car with him. Like, does he not lock his doors so that random strange women can't get into his vehicle? Because if that was what he had in mind, that's just creepy.

• Love 1

That ad bugs the hell out of me mainly because the guy eating his lunch looks so startled when she gets in the car with him. Like, does he not lock his doors so that random strange women can't get into his vehicle? Because if that was what he had in mind, that's just creepy.

"Buick.  Our redesign is so unexpected, we're complicit in kidnappings."

• Love 1

The State Farm "never" commercial:

Guy says he's never getting married <gets married>

Says he's never having kids <has a kid>

Says he's never moving to the suburbs <moves to suburbs>

Says he's never getting a minivan <gets a minivan>

Says he's never having another kid <has another kid>

Says he's never letting go of his family <commercial ends>

So ... it follows that he's totally going to let go of his family, right?

Edited by canter
  • Love 13

The State Farm "never" commercial:

Guy says he's never getting married <gets married>

Says he's never having kids <has a kid>

Says he's never moving to the suburbs <moves to suburbs>

Says he's never getting a minivan <gets a minivan>

Says he's never having another kid <has another kid>

Says he's never letting go of his family <commercial ends>

So ... it follows that he's totally going to let go of his family, right?

Yep, I get the feeling from that that something horrible happens to his family and he cashes in on their life insurance.

• Love 3

I guess that mistake was less dangerous than this one: http://7online.com/news/man-beaten-to-death-after-livery-cab-mix-up-in-long-island-city/527867/

Yep, I get the feeling from that that something horrible happens to his family and he cashes in on their life insurance.

Then his family can be in Nationwide commercials explaining that they never grew up.  

• Love 6

To be fair, Narwhals are pretty awesome. It's about as close to truth in advertising as we'll ever get.

I like the Narwhals song. Never did know they were real animals.

Speaking of toilet paper....oh no, Cottonelle, oh HELL no.

Too horrible for words. How far are they willing to go with this?

• Love 1

Wow, xaxat, that is horrific!!

It made me remember this other gem from the 70s, with Anjelica Huston selling perfume. It's bizarre and definitely a WTF moment.

Edited by canter
  • Love 2

That Love's Baby Soft commercial was just used in a TV show. It must have been The Americans, which is set in the early 80's. I had forgotten about that commercial. I'm sure at the time I thought it was good, but of course now it's pretty appalling.

• Love 2

The hell?

To be fair, Narwhals are pretty awesome. It's about as close to truth in advertising as we'll ever get.

Ye Gods, I'm old and out of touch. I'd never heard of mrweebl before. Much less did I know there was a LONG version.

It's nice to see Weebl hit the big time. I remember back when Badger became a runaway meme in 2003. He's been churning out flash animations ever since.

Designed to appeal to (the internet at large's idea of) Reddit, I take it. (The whole 'Redditor secret handshake' thing that in reality most Redditors actually hate and it's perpetuated to this day by 'rival' aggregator sites 9gag and 4chan making fun of Reddit - "When does the narwhal bacon" "At midnight.")

I legitimately don't know what any of this means.  I guess I am officially old!  I mean, I know what Reddit is. But that is about the extent of it. 

Yes, I am old enough that, while I don't remember that creepy Love's Baby Soft commercial posted upthread (and yes, it was shown on The Americans this past week), I did lurvvve me some LBS when I was young!

• Love 1

I keep seeing an ad for a weight loss drug called Belviq.  One of the disclosures they show during the commercial says "the exact mechanism is not known" (in regards to how it works - about 40 seconds in). From the website it says: It is not known if BELVIQ when taken with other prescription, over-the-counter, or herbal weight-loss products is safe and effective. It is not known if BELVIQ changes your risk of heart problems, stroke, or death due to heart problems or stroke.

How the hell is this FDA approved?

• Love 8

In a few months the ambulance-chaser law firms will have ads on late night TV offering to sue the manufacturers of Belviq on behalf of the people who ignored the warnings and had those heart problems, strokes or died.

Regarding the Belviq commercial, I wish willpower did come in a pill.

This would solve oh so many problems, and not just the one about getting people to put down that cheeseburger.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 6
Then there's that other one where the woman's clothesline has been "rolled" and she asks the kid hiding in the bushes what brand his mom buys.  What normal 11 year old kid pays attention to the brand of TP in the house?

Yes, I agree, but there are so many other things wrong with that commercial. First of all, you don't TP someone's property during daylight hours. It must be done under the cover of darkness. And you don't hide in plain sight, giggling to give away your position. And, finally, you only TP with toilet paper stolen from fast food restaurant and convenience store bathrooms.

I fear for the future if kids today think that this commercial represents appropriate TPing technique!!! ;-)

• Love 7

There's an ad for for a new credit card that's a real head-scratcher. They claim to give you a cash-back reward for every purchase you make, AND when you pay it. Unless I plan on maxing out my credit card and never paying for it, how is this a great thing?

• Love 1