Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I have to wonder why Ted Danson is in so many cell phone commercials lately. Surely he hasn’t spent all that Cheers  and Good Place money, has he?  But he looks like he’s having fun, so good for him, I guess. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have to wonder why Ted Danson is in so many cell phone commercials lately. Surely he hasn’t spent all that Cheers  and Good Place money, has he?  But he looks like he’s having fun, so good for him, I guess. 

Maybe he wants a new house or a boat of something.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 6/28/2022 at 4:41 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Probably one day of work and a year worth of residuals on top of whatever base they gave him for the initial shoot? Why not. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

It helps if your spokesperson is familiar to people, i.e., Shaq. With Danson, "everybody knows his name."  I bet he gets free Consumer Cellular phones/service, too. 

I like them. I've never had a problem that wasn't easily solved. Customer Service is good, and for an extra $3 a month, I get roadside assistance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Those are rally caps, hence the name of the ad. If you're hoping your team will rally (come back from behind/take the lead), you turn the cap inside out. That's called "rally cap". It's sort a symbolic hopeful not-really-superstitious-but-I-can't-think-of-a-better-word thing.

In the context of the ad, I think the premise is, the game is tied, the woman is hoping for a rally (she puts on her rally cap); the guy sees her do it, does it too. They're having a moment. Also their team then takes the lead. 

But she suddenly wants a taco and despite all that stuff which presumably should've been more important to her, she leaves and goes to get the taco. Hence the tag at the end.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Why do the wolves that the children are riding in the ad for Great Wolf Lodge appear to be obese and 3 legged?

I don't know about the 3 legs, but in Pigeon Forge, where GWLodge is, there's a pancake house on every block.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
18 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Why do the wolves that the children are riding in the ad for Great Wolf Lodge appear to be obese and 3 legged?

It takes a stocky wolf to carry a person?  They are some solid wolves. Maybe they were saving on the CGI by occasionally dropping a leg off of each wolf.  There is a time or two where it could be considered the angle from which you see them.  However, there are many more times when those are three-legged wolves.  Very fast, very athletic, stocky, three-legged wolves.  Once you notice it, you cannot unsee it. That one back leg must be very strong to allow the wolf to leap like that. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, janie jones said:

There are Great Wolf Lodges all over the country. They can't all be surrounded by pancakes. 😀

Sorry. The time I looked up GW Lodge, it showed it existing solely in Pigeon Forge, TN, north of Dollywood.

• Useful 1
On 6/30/2022 at 12:13 PM, theatremouse said:

Those are rally caps, hence the name of the ad. If you're hoping your team will rally (come back from behind/take the lead), you turn the cap inside out. That's called "rally cap". It's sort a symbolic hopeful not-really-superstitious-but-I-can't-think-of-a-better-word thing.

In the context of the ad, I think the premise is, the game is tied, the woman is hoping for a rally (she puts on her rally cap); the guy sees her do it, does it too. They're having a moment. Also their team then takes the lead. 

But she suddenly wants a taco and despite all that stuff which presumably should've been more important to her, she leaves and goes to get the taco. Hence the tag at the end.

I just realized something about that commercial. Those two people are sitting in the dugout, not the bleachers with the people watching the game. 🤔

2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Why do all the Blue Bunny ice cream commercials look like they were filmed in an underground bunker? If it's because rabbits live in burrows because even Bugs had nicer accommodations than that.

I don't know, but, damn, their products are good! I'm eating a vanilla mini cone right now. Yum!!

• Love 5

Why do all the Blue Bunny ice cream commercials look like they were filmed in an underground bunker? If it's because rabbits live in burrows because even Bugs had nicer accommodations than that.

I love Blue Bunny ice cream, but the commercials make it look like there's some additive in the product that makes adults act like they're tripping on acid.

• Wink 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I love this idea but will we have to produce ID to buy ice cream now? And in WA, all cannabis products must be purchased with cash. So cash only B&J?

Worse part is after eating the ice cream you'll still have the munchies.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 14
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I love this idea but will we have to produce ID to buy ice cream now? And in WA, all cannabis products must be purchased with cash. So cash only B&J?

I think that's the case with all cannabis selling businesses as it's the same in CA. The reason being that as it's still illegal on a federal level no bank will process any credit card receipts from them so every transaction has to be in cash & their products are paid for in cash from their suppliers for the same reason. I think it was on a Marcus Lemonis show that I got this info when he was looking to invest in a grower in Colorado or California. It has also been mentioned in "Growing Belushi".

• Useful 3

The Orkin commercials kind of amuse me, but the hiring a pro thing is silly. It amuses me because when we moved into our current house 12 years ago in November, we found out in the spring we had an ant problem. I contacted both Orkin and Terminix on their websites. I got a call from Terminix within 10 minutes. I'm still waiting for Orkin to call. Maybe if they answered requests from their website they wouldn't need the tv ads.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The Orkin commercials kind of amuse me, but the hiring a pro thing is silly. It amuses me because when we moved into our current house 12 years ago in November, we found out in the spring we had an ant problem. I contacted both Orkin and Terminix on their websites. I got a call from Terminix within 10 minutes. I'm still waiting for Orkin to call. Maybe if they answered requests from their website they wouldn't need the tv ads.

How quickly did the Irish Dancer respond? 😀

Those Orkin commercial make me scratch my head because these people actually show up to help, but the female tennis player sarcastically thanks him for wasting her time. Did she not understand what he hired her to do? For that matter, I don't think a tennis racket would be effective against mosquitos. 🤔

• Love 2

The Great Wolf Lodge commercial came on several times last night, and I kept looking at the wolves' legs, and they all appear to have four legs to me. There is one shot where you can only see the toes on one hind leg though.

23 hours ago, janie jones said:

The Great Wolf Lodge commercial came on several times last night, and I kept looking at the wolves' legs, and they all appear to have four legs to me. There is one shot where you can only see the toes on one hind leg though.

Something about them doesn't look right but apparently it isn't the number of legs.

I think those Great Wolf Lodge commercials are geared toward fans of the "Twilight" movies. Maybe one day there will something called The Great Vamp Dugout where "Twilight" fans can go to play virtual reality baseball games with the Cullens.

• LOL 1
On 7/17/2022 at 9:39 AM, janie jones said:

There are several different Great Wolf Lodge commercials and the CGI on the wolves varies from horrific to bad.  The worst problem is that the aspect ratio is terribly off, probably in order to keep the kids looking normal and like they are actually riding something.  Wolves are low slung and long - the GWL wolves are high and too short from nose to rump.  When they introduce movement, the legs appear and vanish leading me to label them as three legged.  Shortening the aspect also results in the wolves looking overweight.  I don't know why they appear overly fluffy.

No one actually goes to these places expecting to see wolves, do they?  Put the kids on ponies.

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

No one actually goes to these places expecting to see wolves, do they?  Put the kids on ponies.

But, but, but - the name of the franchise is Great Wolf Lodge, not Great Pony Lodge. 😉

• Wink 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If they used CGI ponies instead, they would have to be huge to hold the parents up. 

It's all a fantasy anyway, so why not unicorns? 

Because the name of the business in the advertisement is "Great Wolf Lodge". Why would they use any animal other than a wolf?

• Love 1

Isn't the great Wolf Lodge essentially an indoor water park? You'd think the advertiser would put the emphasis on that aspect, rather than give kids the impression that they're going somewhere to ride wolves.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Isn't the great Wolf Lodge essentially an indoor water park? You'd think the advertiser would put the emphasis on that aspect, rather than give kids the impression that they're going somewhere to ride wolves.

Are these ads airing during children's programming?

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I suppose Hamm got paid a lot of money to do these commercials.  It just seems like an odd thing.  It is sort of funny that Flo isn’t impressed by him at all.  

Horrible cringey commercial!  I'm kind of embarrassed for Jon Hamm, but apparently the pay is more important to him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I love Jon Hamm in these commercials with Flo, and I think it's hilarious that Flo isn't impressed at all.  Besides, if highly paid athletes (Shaq!) and celebrities are doing commercials, I don't see an issue with Hamm doing them.  

• Like 4
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Horrible cringey commercial!  I'm kind of embarrassed for Jon Hamm, but apparently the pay is more important to him. 

I’m not. I think it’s a good joke. I think he probably would have done it for free.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
On 7/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, mmecorday said:

I thought Wolf Lodge was some time of kid-friendly vacation resort.

22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I suppose Hamm got paid a lot of money to do these commercials.  It just seems like an odd thing.  It is sort of funny that Flo isn’t impressed by him at all.  

I think it's hilarious that Flo has no clue who Tom Hamm is! 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I thought Wolf Lodge was some time of kid-friendly vacation resort.

I think it's hilarious that Flo has no clue who Tom Hamm is! 

In one of the commercials she gets his first name wrong…….lol.   Hard to believe a man who looks like that made such a little impression.  Lol

On 7/24/2022 at 11:36 AM, Suzn said:

He seems like he's probably a goofball. I bet he thinks the commercials are funny.

• Love 6
On 6/23/2022 at 12:18 PM, sempervivum said:

Expedia: something about lemons. 'Look how nice these lemons are'. Also old man in a pool or tub full of lemons. 

Huh?

And now, bubbles.  I really don't get this series of ads.  This will not make me use Expedia.  Ever.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

I saw a commercial last night for some sort of IBM (AKA "poopybutt") medication with a woman driving around with a toilet in the backseat.  Is that for the times she cannot find a public bathroom? 🤔

• Mind Blown 2
3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I saw a commercial last night for some sort of IBM (AKA "poopybutt") medication with a woman driving around with a toilet in the backseat.  Is that for the times she cannot find a public bathroom? 🤔

I haven't seen this and I don't want to.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1