Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

They should have gotten Olivia Newton-John on roller-skates.

Even better symbolically, but I'm not sure she's still that recognizable. The Village People's outfits and John's SNF suit are both pretty well known.

• Love 2
On 11/4/2016 at 7:04 PM, ennui said:

Oops. I don't know if I didn't know or if I forgot. I apologize.

Death hasn't stopped advertisers from using images of celebrities.  Shoot, Marilyn Monroe is still selling Snickers.

• Love 2

Shoot, Marilyn Monroe is still selling Snickers.

That commercial just will not go away! Wasn't it a Super Bowl commercial? It's time to bring back the grumpy "Great googly moogly" guy who paints "Chefs" instead of "Chiefs" on the football field. Him I liked.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

That commercial just will not go away! Wasn't it a Super Bowl commercial? It's time to bring back the grumpy "Great googly moogly" guy who paints "Chefs" instead of "Chiefs" on the football field. Him I liked.

What ?

19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The groundskeeper was painting "Chiefs" on the football field and he accidentally painted "Chefs", when he realized his mistake, he went "Great googly moogly!"

Heh, that's all I can think of whenever my husband's watching football and they're playing in that stadium. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Slow-motion jaw drop moment - the Schoolhouse Rock song "My hero zero" has been licensed for a zero-down car ad.

Yeah, I saw that too. Why do they think that making me sad will make me want to buy their crapmobile?

• Love 2

I'm a little confused by this Volkswagen ad. Why are they looking so disturbed at the eagle getting a fish?  Did they think it would pick them up and taking them too? Relax, people. I think that seeing an eagle in nature would look cool in person.

P.S. That isn't how an eagle really sounds.

• Love 2

P.S. That isn't how an eagle really sounds.

Having taken up the - at times very difficult to watch - habit of monitoring nest cams of several (wild) bald eagle nests last season, that is what is most distracting to me about the commercial. 

• Love 1
On 11/8/2016 at 7:28 AM, withanaich said:

Heh, that's all I can think of whenever my husband's watching football and they're playing in that stadium. 

For me, that's every home game.  That commercial's probably 20 years old, and it still gets referenced pretty frequently.

• Love 4

I get the concept of the LetItGo ads (someone needs convincing to get rid of something they're not using)...but it's basically someone being a real jerk to someone else about something the other person would clearly really like to keep.  It does not make me want to use the site in any way.

• Love 6
On 11/9/2016 at 7:05 PM, Brattinella said:

I regularly watch eagle cams, owl cams, osprey cams, etc.  They all are predators and eat live prey.  And you are right, eagles don't sound like that.

I've seen the commercial a few times, and the part that puzzles me is that predator animals don't normally announce their arrival. "Yo, dinner, here I come, ready or not!"

Edited by ennui
Prey and predators are two different critters.
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ennui said:

I've seen the commercial a few times, and the part that puzzles me is that predator animals don't normally announce their arrival. "Yo, dinner, here I come, ready or not!"

I think that depends on the predator. Some prey will freeze when they think they're in danger, hoping not to be spotted, so a predator that's already got a bead on dinner could use that reaction to its advantage.

• Love 1

This isn't a headscratcher in that I don't get the commercial, it's that in the VSP direct ad it's driving me bonkers that I can't place where I know the dark-haired guy in the glasses from.  I feel like whatever I saw him in he played a jerk.  

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

This isn't a headscratcher in that I don't get the commercial, it's that in the VSP direct ad it's driving me bonkers that I can't place where I know the dark-haired guy in the glasses from.  I feel like whatever I saw him in he played a jerk.  

This one? 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AAys/vsp-the-strangest-things

Do this guy's dumbass coworkers really think he's Superman? Hopefully, they're just making jokes.

On 10/26/2016 at 9:19 PM, xaxat said:

Anyone you have just met who seems that hesitant about holding your baby. . . 

IS SOMEONE YOU DON'T WANT HOLDING YOUR BABY!

I was thinking that the parents were hoping he'd let them hold the tacos while he was holding the baby. 

• Love 4
On 11/9/2016 at 11:29 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm confused by the Toyota "You Don't Own Me" ads - they're NOT advertising a leasing program, so what is it about non-ownership they want us to grasp? Don't they want us to BUY the cars?

You'd think I know the answer, since I've seen this commercial dozens of times. It's on constant rotation during NFL games. But I think Toyota is saying that owning a Corolla gives you confidence and the courage to be your own person.  --Oh, look. It's on again right now.--

What I'd like to know is why there are bicyclists in a car commercial. Aren't bicycles the anti-cars?

The only thing I like about this ad is that the first woman we see (the chef whose boss throws her food in the garbage) reminds me a little of the actress Tatiana Maslany. 

• Love 4

There's a commercial for some wealth management firm with a girl scrambling up the stairs to her apartment. She gets a phone call from her dad. "How was your first week?" asks dad. "Long," says the exhausted and disheveled girl. She gets to her apartment and the conversation continues. Dad is with his financial adviser and she wants to talk to the daughter about her long-term financial goals. The daughter correctly surmises that dad is just working out a way for daughter to maximize her money so that she can "pay him back." Pay him back for what? For raising her? For putting her through college?

ETA: Here it is. It's an ad for Edward Jones. The comments have been disabled, which usually means that people had unkind things to say.

Edited by mmecorday
to add video
  • Love 2

So, in the latest Campbell's soup commercial I've seen, Dad is waiting up for daughter (who is late for curfew) and puts bubble wrap on the stairs so that she can't sneak in unnoticed. My big question is this- who in the heck fixes tomato soup and grilled cheese when they are waiting up for their kids to come home in the wee hours of morning?!

• Love 5

Whoa, if you had started to quote a comment with a video in it, then decided not to but didn't clear it, then came back to the same page later, it'll start auto-playing even though it's not visible on the screen until you click in the reply box.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Speaking of music, Estee Lauder is using Lady Marmalade in their new ad. The original and not the cover from Moulin Rouge, but still. I'm like, Ya'll know that song is about a hooker, right?

I'll put this in the nominations for the Iggy Awards this year.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ennui said:

Today I heard a radio ad for VW's "Sign Then Drive" event. I suspect the kidnapped car salespersons can't be too far behind. I wonder if we'll get new ads, or repeats.

Currently we're getting the desecration of childhood memories through the use of My Hero, Zero from Schoolhouse Rock.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:43 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

When has Subway EVER placed sauce with a spoon instead of a squeeze bottle?

When does Subway ever put that much meat on a sandwich?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Currently we're getting the desecration of childhood memories through the use of My Hero, Zero from Schoolhouse Rock.

When does Subway ever put that much meat on a sandwich?

If you pay for double meat. :(

It sounds like the Pillsbury 'Friendsgiving' commercial voiceover guy is saying 'For all you Friendsgiving ho's, invite who you want....'  I think he's supposed to be saying 'hosts' (I don't know what other word it could be), but even the close-captioning says 'hose'.  

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2
On 11/16/2016 at 3:52 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Speaking of music, Estee Lauder is using Lady Marmalade in their new ad. The original and not the cover from Moulin Rouge, but still. I'm like, Ya'll know that song is about a hooker, right?

Well, the model is one of the Kardashian clan, so...

• Love 6

This commercial is cute, but I don't understand why there is a disclaimer right in the middle (when they show the dog) that says that 'no animals were harmed during the filming of this commercial'.  The kid is petting the dog;  they aren't making it jump out of an airplane or something.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1