Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/19/2016 at 8:43 AM, DeLurker said:

Taco Bell uses soylent green.

@erikdepressant - I'm thisclose to asking you to marry me!

You two could totally get married Second Life style, and that way we could all attend.  Sweet!

If I go to your Second Life wedding, I'm totally gonna make my character a big boobied cyberslut -- I will wear next to nothing at your wedding.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, erikdepressant said:

I wouldn't wish a relationship with me on my worst enemy.  Come to think of it, the transition from the former to the latter is as seamless as it is inevitable.

Relationships are much better in Second Life.  The minute someone starts getting on your nerves you just turn off the computer.  What could be better?

I also think people can fly in Second Life, so you can just fly away from someone that annoys you.

I'm not on Second Life, but I've seen two documentaries on the subject, and its positively fascinating.  But I didn't even like The Sims, so I don't think its for me. 

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

All the talk of Taco Bell reminded me of this story from 2011. (I stopped eating from the bell, so I don't know if they've improved).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/25/taco-bell-meat_n_813864.html

Also I think the king of commercials with with inappropriate songs might be this one from Dr Pepper:

about once every 5 years I make the mistake of eating Taco Bell.  It is always the very worst.  Last time I was there, I think I got a "Mexican Pizza" and the shell was stale.

Del Taco may not be the best, but it is heads and shoulders better than Taco Bell.  I don't even understand who is eating that food....its so awful.

As regards this commercial -- where the hell is Stacey?  Or is this bitch just trying to get young boys into her car with Dr. Pepper?  I'm smelling a future addition to Megans List.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

The Taco Bell near me is a Taco Bell/Pizza Hut.  the best item they have is the individual pepperoni pizza.   I've never been a fan of Pizza hut pizza.  But the individual size, the way they make it, the crust is crunchy and chewy, and the pepperoni has just a little bit of char.  Every now and then I get a craving, and it's not available at the regular Pizza Hut, only at the Taco Bell.  

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, backformore said:

The Taco Bell near me is a Taco Bell/Pizza Hut.  the best item they have is the individual pepperoni pizza.   I've never been a fan of Pizza hut pizza.  But the individual size, the way they make it, the crust is crunchy and chewy, and the pepperoni has just a little bit of char.  Every now and then I get a craving, and it's not available at the regular Pizza Hut, only at the Taco Bell.  

Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC are all Yum! brands.  They have a lot of co-locations.

On 6/20/2016 at 10:51 AM, ZaldamoWilder said:

Finally saw what is the first in the series of that Volvo commercial.  Now I'm so pissy that they're out of order I don't care that the dad is all in his feelings.   Speechwriting, sentimental looks into the foggy beyond, lighthouses.    Um, what am I supposed to be paying attention to again?

I just saw that one today.  At least it's clear that he's preparing a speech, but why the hell did he drive up to a lighthouse to do it?  Is the the lighthouse keeper?

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC are all Yum! brands.  They have a lot of co-locations.

I've seen places where all 3 are under one roof.  We started calling them Kentucky Taco Huts.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, backformore said:

So....when I was eating glutens, Pizza Hut pizza was my all time favorite.  For some reason, I just loved it, and it was so wrong, it was greasy, and I always got it with the cheese in the crust, which was HORRIBLE for you.  But I just loved it, and preferred it to ZPizza, or PizzaRev or any of those fancy places.  But my Pizza Hut had that pepperoni char, an it was fantastic...like a little crunchy on the edges.

9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

My sister's name is Stacy. Oh, the hilarity.

So, your mom is a cougar?  Puma?  Saber tooth?

• Love 2
On 6/18/2016 at 4:09 PM, Ubiquitous said:

In the newest steak Taco Bell ad, is there something particularly special about the museum exhibits is staring at while he chows down on a steak burrito? Is one even allowed to have food in a museum?

Definitely not in the exhibition areas. As a museum employee I feel the need to yell at my tv every time I see this ad to get that disgusting burrito away from the display. The one with the waiter handing the 2 women drinks off a tray right in front of a painting bugs me too.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

You know that Starburst commercial where the guy says that they shoot the juiciness into Starburst using "wicked small fighter jets"? What does he say at the very end? It sounds like "six cuts"? Help?

"Takes guts".

• Love 1

From an Oral-B commercial: "I asked my dentist if an electric toothbrush would clean better than Emmanuel." I've turned up the volume and rewatched the ad several times, but that's what she says. Who is this Emmanuel? Has she been using Emmanuel Lewis to clean her teeth? Is her boyfriend named Emmanuel? Is that her nickname for her Waterpik? Or was she trying to say "a manual?"

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 8:49 PM, erikdepressant said:

Taco Bell would use Grade D Soylent Green, too (made of lawyers, junkies, and Kardashians).

But they never use clowns. They taste funny.

• Love 13

Samsung is running an ad that touts how easy it is to add more clothes just after you've started doing a load in their shiny new digital washing machine. Really? I've been doing that for decades in plain old ordinary washing machines. Must be something wrong with me, doing all those futuristic laundry tricks without having the proper technology.

• Love 9
On 6/24/2016 at 7:34 PM, janie jones said:

Yeah "a manual."  I hate that commercial.  I hate the way she says, "But don't get just any one."

It's because people don't enunciate anymore. She means any toothbrush, but because she doesn't speak clearly it sounds like she's saying "anyone" like any person.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Samsung is running an ad that touts how easy it is to add more clothes just after you've started doing a load in their shiny new digital washing machine. Really? I've been doing that for decades in plain old ordinary washing machines. Must be something wrong with me, doing all those futuristic laundry tricks without having the proper technology.

that's because one of the big complaints about the newest front-loading digital  washers with all the new technology has been that once the washer starts, you can't stop it (you'll have water all over).   The older washers, top-loading ones, have always let you add clothes.   Though the one I have now, I have to push a button to stop it if I want to add anything.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Our new washer (well, about a year old) won't let you open the lid once the water starts running.  If it's a top loader, it's for safety purposes.

How is that any better than the old system of automatically shutting off the motor and activating a brake if you open the lid? Not letting you open the lid sounds like something prone to malfunction and eventually lock you out of getting your clothes.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I don't understand this ad.  Why is the guy having to paint the place before the girl gets home?  And is she not supposed to smell the paint smell?

Technically this commercial is about paint. But for true connoisseurs of the butt. This add is all about her truly magnificent butt. When this commercial first came out I had to find out who that woman is.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

How is that any better than the old system of automatically shutting off the motor and activating a brake if you open the lid? Not letting you open the lid sounds like something prone to malfunction and eventually lock you out of getting your clothes.

If you hold the release button down (for far too long), it will release the door.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Watcher0363 said:

Technically this commercial is about paint. But for true connoisseurs of the butt. This add is all about her truly magnificent butt. When this commercial first came out I had to find out who that woman is.

Your rump post just broke the internet.

• Love 10
On 6/26/2016 at 9:13 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

I don't understand this ad.  Why is the guy having to paint the place before the girl gets home?  And is she not supposed to smell the paint smell?

I don't understand it either!  And how early could she possibly be that the dude shouldn't have been rushing in the first place?  He was already painting at the last minute.

• Love 2

It's not in this version of the commercial, but I figured if I posted this shorter version, people who've seen the longer version will know what I'm talking about.  So in the longer version, after she opens the box, the mom makes a hand motion like she's breaking something, and I have no idea what she's trying to say with this gesture. 

(edited)

Here's the long version, but I don't know what it's about. They're clearly talking up the joys of camping to get the kid out of the house for a week or two, the extra gift to the wife looks like game controllers, but the breaking motion? No idea. "I'm going to break you?" 

Edited by riley702
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, janie jones said:

So in the longer version, after she opens the box, the mom makes a hand motion like she's breaking something, and I have no idea what she's trying to say with this gesture.

I think she's saying she's going to kill him at the game.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

OMG George Hamilton is the new Crispy Colonel Sanders! Ha ha ha get it? He's so tan he's "crispy"! That commercial will send people screaming into Walgreens for sun screen instead of KFC.

Seriously, Geo Hamilton as Extra Crispy Col Sanders?  LMFAO!

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:51 PM, ZaldamoWilder said:

Lol!!  My daughter still hasn't accepted the improbability of a thing containing *real* meat costing 89 cents.  We just don't talk about it anymore.

Hey, raccoon meat is real!

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:37 AM, RCharter said:

As regards this commercial -- where the hell is Stacey?  Or is this bitch just trying to get young boys into her car with Dr. Pepper?  I'm smelling a future addition to Megans List.

"Hey little boy, want some... Doctor Pepper?"

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:50 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

Our new washer (well, about a year old) won't let you open the lid once the water starts running.  If it's a top loader, it's for safety purposes.

Did you mean "side loader"?

12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

OMG George Hamilton is the new Crispy Colonel Sanders! Ha ha ha get it? He's so tan he's "crispy"! That commercial will send people screaming into Walgreens for sun screen instead of KFC.

Oh my gosh! I wondered who that was and thought George Hamilton would be perfect!

9 hours ago, janie jones said:

It's not in this version of the commercial, but I figured if I posted this shorter version, people who've seen the longer version will know what I'm talking about.  So in the longer version, after she opens the box, the mom makes a hand motion like she's breaking something, and I have no idea what she's trying to say with this gesture. 

It was some sort of sex toy, wasn't it?

• Love 3

Normally I can't be bothered to look up from my game of Spider Solitaire or whatever to watch commercials, so I didn't realize George Hamilton was the new Colonel Sanders.  It only registered with me that the new Colonel didn't have a southern accent.  Now I'll have to pay attention.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, riley702 said:

Here's the long version, but I don't know what it's about. They're clearly talking up the joys of camping to get the kid out of the house for a week or two, the extra gift to the wife looks like game controllers, but the breaking motion? No idea. "I'm going to break you?" 

um, maybe..."Oh you want me to play video games without our son trying to interfere? Gosh, twist my arm!" (I jokingly say "Oh, twist my arm" when what someone is suggesting is something for which you really don't have to try at all to convince me to do.) Other than that, I got nothing.

• Love 2

I have two new questions about the Viberzi ad:

1) Why is the woman's IBS or whatever the hell it is still following her around after she goes to the doctor and gets a prescription for the medication? Because it's still with her when she's in the diner with some guy she met and everything, and I'm just like, Isn't taking Viberzi supposed to make her go away?

2) How do you suppose the woman who's portraying the symptoms lists that on her acting resume? I can only presume she's a professional actress, bt I'm having a very difficult time imagining her putting that down under experience when she looks for a job, much less on IMDB.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

How do you suppose the woman who's portraying the symptoms lists that on her acting resume? I can only presume she's a professional actress, bt I'm having a very difficult time imagining her putting that down under experience when she looks for a job, much less on IMDB.

So totally agree with that.  I mentioned it the first time I saw the ad.  :)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

So totally agree with that.  I mentioned it the first time I saw the ad.  :)

I totally understand why she's still there - the drug controls the symptoms, doesn't "cure" the disease. Notice how the character says you can't go to a meeting because you're going to be in distress before the drug, but after the drug becomes cooperative and helpful. My husband has ulcerative colitis. It's controlled with medication - stop the meds and the symptoms return. It's not like an antibiotic that kills bacteria and isn't needed after the bacteria are gone. It's a chronic condition that cannot be cured, but symptoms can be controlled/alleviated.

• Love 4