Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E23: Maddie vs. Mackenzie

• Start Topic

For the first time in years, Maddie and Mackenzie are competing with solos against each other in the same at category. The pressure is even higher for Maddie--who, in addition to practicing her risky tap solo, has a new video with Sia premiering this week. Abby brings in celebrity guest choreographer Travis Payne to teach the girls a routine inspired by voguing, a style with which they are unfamiliar. They have to not only impress Abby, but also this high-profile choreographer who is a power player in the dance industry.

I'm anxious to watch this episode because I love Travis Payne - but come on - Mac against Maddie not even close. Mac is not even as good as Maddie was when the show started. And I hate comparing the kids - they may be sisters but they have different strengths, although it will be good to see Maddie tap as that is what she loves to dance.

• Love 3

The results are obviously producer driven as well. I'll just say that Mackenzie's routine is more of the cutesy stuff she's been doing and Maddie's tap is one that I really enjoyed. 

Why the hell does Shia LeBeouf have Maddie's phone number?

YES seriously.  Why is Melissa acting like Shia LaBeouf is the most amazing actor ever.  

Maddie is such a brat and Melissa is the worst..ugghhh why do I watch this show

• Love 2
(edited)

I have never rolled my eyes so hard at an episode.   I also have no idea when I fell in love with Jojo, but I did.

I'm sure the results of the competition were manipulated for storyline purposes, but geez.  Just let Mack have her "win" and move on.  

Production hates Abby with a passion.

I hesitate judging Maddie because I think the talking heads are manipulated and they try to get her to say certain things, plus Abby and Melissa have been building her up so long that it's somewhat understandable she probably believes her own hype to some degree.  But I have no problem judging Melissa.  That woman is awful.

Also Melissa...don't be bragging about Shia having Maddie's phone number.  Hopefully the text came through an agent or something.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

Note to Melissa - I am not ten years old but I thought that last Sia video was super boring and weird.  I'm sure Maddie's a great kid and all, but some people are allowed to dislike the video.  If you really want Maddie to be a "star" you have to learn to deal with negative feedback.

• Love 4

Seriously, enough with the pig tails, one piece animal costumes, and these cutesy cartwheel routines. Mackenzie is 11 years old, not 6. Its time to move on and give her more challenging and mature routines that advance her, not regress.

Maddie was clearly pissed off at the end "Mom you don't have to cry its just a stupid competiton", "Mom shut up, I'm happy for her"!. What a spoiled egotistic brat. Humble my ass.

Melissa once again shows she is the worst mother on the show.

Abby only cares about her cash cow Maddie winning and continues to be a bully and bitch. That whole bit with JoJo was uncalled for, making the kid cry for no reason when she in the corner minding her own business practicing her routine. I think its fairly obvious Abby doesn't like JoJo which sucks because she's a smart kid with a bright personality.

Wtf, does Shia Labeuf have Maddie's phone number, and that is supposed to be a good thing??? And that latest Sia video was horrible and boring. I don't find entertainment in a music video of a 12 year old girl acting schizophrenic and pretending to get choked.

Only people I give a crap about anymore on this show are JoJo and Nia, and that is why I'm still watching this trainwreck.

• Love 4

I cannot believe that Melissa is so blatant concerning her favoritism for Maddie.  It's disgusting.  

I loved Nia sassing Abby at the beginning.  It's about time she stood up for herself.  Maybe she's realizing that she's super talented, and she doesn't need Abby.

Abby was so cruel to JoJo during rehearsal.  Who does that?  It's like Abby is jealous of a little girl.  She's nothing more than a bully.  And nothings worse than an adult bullying a child.  

Maddie's video with Shia was ridiculous.  I'm happy that she's getting exposure, but it was such a waste of time and inappropriate.  Leave it to Abby and Melissa to think that it's artistic and meaningful.  

I feel sorry for Mac.  Maddie is like the Ricky Bobby of the team.  If you ain't first, you're last!  Being part of a team is being a team player and being happy for someone when they win.  We all need to suck Maddie's butt when she wins, but if she loses...watch out.  That beautiful, mature, artistic dancer is going to throw a temper tantrum like a two year old child.

• Love 2

I have been just dvr-ing the episodes and then ff to the dances and the awards and the end. Less stress and I thought mack's reaction to winning (faked win or not) was the best thing I have seen on this show in a long, long time. Melissa should be ashamed of herself along with Maddi.

• Love 1

I was trying to find the actual competition results and couldn't come up with a Center Stage Competition - was this just staged? Per ALDC web site - they did a sheer talent competition in mid March where Maddie did place 1st for her tap.

What surprises me is that even on her web site - Abby is ignoring anything Nia is doing - big banner about Kendall K's solo being #1 on itunes download - but nothing about Nia.

Back to finishing this episode. Sorry but if I don't stop and post something when it's on my mind - I'll forget about it!  It's called old age! I now make notes to myself - which I used to laugh at my mom for doing - what goes around comes around!

• Love 1

OK my 2 cents - Travis Payne was like a breathe of free air. I loved the number. I just don't get Abby's comment of he's doesn't choreograph for competitions - aka that's why we lost. Then why did you invite him in as guest choreographer? Wasn't it you that said that you were bringing the girls to LA to learn about diff dance styles? If the girls were more versed than just your plain old lyrical and contemporary routines - maybe it would have looked a bit more polished.

I don't know what the other dancers looked like but I would never awarded the girls 1st 2nd or 3rd with those routines. Jojo has so much potential but Abby watered down that routine - nothing spectacular. That type of routine with the correct choreography had Jojo's name written all over it.

Mac winning with that routine was a joke. I agree with Melissa - she looked like a 7 yr old but I don't think that Maddie's routine was any better. I actually thought she was going to dance to These Boots were Made for Walking. It sounded like a bad comedy western intro.The poofed hair and white dress and boots reminded me of a secretary on Mannix. Bad, bad, bad.

I thought Abby was horrible to Jojo and very unprofessional  going at her like that for no reason in the middle of someone else's dance time. TYG that Travis shows some compassion and encouragement. Let's get rid of Abby and have Travis run the LA studio - Abby can go back to Pittsburgh and continue  making "stars" off camera.

• Love 2

I don't care if it's scripted, Melissa is hateful.  To me the fact that it's scripted almost makes it worse.  Poor, poor MackZ.

Abby is a bitch.  The way she treats JoJo and Nia is despicable.

I know these are not new opinions but this show puts me at loss for words.

My 10-year old had some words, though.  "Melissa needs to go to jail." lol

• Love 3

I dunno, I thought Melissa and Abby seemed happy for Mackenzie.  Melissa was crying for crying out loud.  And I don't think Abby cares that much, because she also favors Mackenzie a lot.

And I'm usually a Maddie defender, but when Abby went to hug all the kids and Maddie says to Abby "I deserve to beat her, but thats ok!"... that left a bad impression on me.  It felt like Maddie was waiting for Abby to do what she usually does when Maddie doesn't win -- announce how unfair the results were and tell everyone how she should have won -- and when she didn't Maddie was a bit taken aback and said something to her.

However, I do understand Maddie a bit -- whenever she doesn't win, she knows that EVERYONE in the room is watching her for a reaction.  It must be very uncomfortable and awkward, especially with your oaf mother telling you to "BE HAPPY BE HAPPY" for the cameras.  Maddie gets disappointed when she looses, doesn't mean she isn't happy for the person who did, and sometimes I think she just wants everyone to leave her alone about it.  She did look very happy for Mackenzie when they were onstage together... the problem came after, which makes me think perhaps it has more to do with her relationship with Melissa and Abby then it does with her.  

Also, Abby is clearly acting crazy - I suspect on purpose.  Seems like she is in a battle with production.  She's forced to do things like the pyramid, etc.  but she is just going through the motions.  Her making Jojo cry for no reason was despicable.  That is actual bullying of an innocent child. 

Travis Payne was amazing.  

• Love 2

I listened to it 3 times to make sure I'm right, Melissa didn't say Shia was texting she said sia texted. To me that makes a big difference

I thought there were two seperate encounters.  Melissa said that Sia texted her, about the new video I guess.  But then I thought that Melissa said Shia texted Maddie to congratulate her on the new video.  But I didn't go back and relisten and I realize Shia and Sia sound alike.

• Love 5

When Melissa curls her upper lip, I swear, she looks like Snidely Whiplash.  Give her a mustache and black hat and the look will be complete.  I can't believe that Maddie, the Wunderkid, lost to Mac but OTOH, JoJo was better than both of them.  Whether staged or not, Maddie's reactions in the dressing room did not paint a very flattering picture.  Her sense of entitlement is going to be her ruin down the road.  I'll echo the Melissa is the worst sentiments.  While she was "happy" that Mac won, she was appalled that her most special angel lost.  Her true nature was displayed when she answered the question about Mac vs Maddie and trashed Mac entirely.  Travis Payne was great, a true choreographer who gets the best out of young dancers by supporting and nurturing them.  Of course Abby had to make sure that Maddie was front and center in the group number. Wonder what Travis really thought about that.  I love Abby saying that she wanted to watch Travis and learn but then was seen with her face buried in her cell phone as usual. Nia, in a very cool and assertive way, throwing Abby's nonsense right back at her was priceless. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I know some things are scripted, but the emotions shown on the faces can't be scripted. Melissa is just an awful person. She might have been happy for a second for Mac (and Abby clearly was happy), but a minute later she was upset that Maddie didn't win. Any parent who has a kid in any type of competitive environment knows their child will not always be number one. How is Maddie going to go on in life if she and her mother get upset if she comes in second?

Maddie acted like a little brat and I think she is far from humble. And I never cared for JoJo, but it made me sad to see Abby so awful to her. Of course if her mother cared about her she would take her elsewhere, but she doesn't. I also don't get why Abby allows herself to be filmed looking so nuts.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

Just from the dance teachers and choreographers that I know - no one thinks much of Abby. They don't feel she's any better than the rest of them when it comes to choreography ( most not her own we know ) and that her teaching methods do not bring out the best in especially a young dancer - no matter what you're preparing them for. And with all the preparation she's given them, as at some point they will lose to someone else, whether it be a competition or job, I don't think these girls act any differently than any other child when it comes to losing. Chloe was a gracious loser - but I think that just was her nature.

Travis appeared to be taking the whole incident between Abby and Jojo in and I think he really didn't expect it from his expression. He obviously knew the kid needed positive reinforcement and he was gracious enough to give it.  Despite all the Michael Jackson stories, I honestly believe that Michael was a very good and kind hearted person. I believe if he was tough on anyone - it was himself. The fact that Travis worked with him for so many years says a lot about both of them.

I'm wondering what kind of turnover, as far as teachers, Abby has in her studio. I've always questioned the insertion of Gianna into the tapings. We know that Gianna does at least some if not a lot of the choreography but a lot of the other staff are also talented and much more well known. Gianna is an Abby Alum - ( past Maddie in Abby's eyes probably ) We heard Gianna's name mentioned a few times season 1 but I don't think it was actually until the end of season 3 or 4 that she became a more reg cast member. In the first few years, she seemed nice and the girls like training with her but once she became more of a reg - she turned into a mini Abby.

Matt Saffron does the tap and hip hop at ALDC and I'm assuming that he teaches Maddie her tap classes. He used to teach at TapDogs until sometime in 2014 and was previously one of the tappers in their US shows. He's suppose to be a great choreographer for tap. Link to 1 of the routines - these guys are good!

Rachael Thoma has a Business Management minor and she's probably who takes care of the books. Here's her Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/rachael.thoma

James Washington - contemporary jazz and hip hop teacher - another great choreographer. http://abbyleedancecompany.com/faculty/#/636 1 of his pieces with Payton

The other couple also seem to be fairly new to Abby's studio. I wonder if some of the teachers left once Abby's head got so big and maybe Gianna threatened to do the same unless she got more credit.

Travis appeared to be taking the whole incident between Abby and Jojo in and I think he really didn't expect it from his expression. He obviously knew the kid needed positive reinforcement and he was gracious enough to give it.  Despite all the Michael Jackson stories, I honestly believe that Michael was a very good and kind hearted person. I believe if he was tough on anyone - it was himself. The fact that Travis worked with him for so many years says a lot about both of them.

Travis also demonstrated how a true teacher handles young kids when they don't finish first.  No hissy fits or histrionics from him.  He just said. very simply, that second place is good but not as good as winning but it's OK because it shows you how much more you have to work to move up.  That, ladies and germs, is the person I want training my kid, not me, me, me, Abby Lee Miller.

• Love 6

My favorite part of the whole night (and I rewound it a few times for the pure joy) was Melissa bragging about the video with her proud mama smile and saying how everybody loved it and everybody thought it was amazing. Cut to Jessalyn looking up reviews and reading all the negative reviews and then cut back to Melissa with stink pouty face well I don't care what those 10 year olds think. Priceless. Might be my favorite Dance Moms sequence ever.

• Love 7

I forgot about that! Score 1 for Jesslyn! No wonder Melissa and Abby get along so well - whenever someone points out a negative against Maddie - they both come up with childish replies. I don't tweet or instagram - but I did post of my dislike of the video on Facebook and ah - sorry to tell you Melissa - most of us are 35 yrs + commenting on there.

Melissa is a very spoiled woman. I did some background searches on Melissa and Greg. Melissa and Kurt had to declare bankruptcy a couple of times I think while they were married. Melissa reminds me of my mother ( who I adore ) but she's a compulsive spender and my dad worked until 70 so they could pay off the bills - which she has since worked back up there. I'm sure between the dancing, competitions and giving the girl every thing they wanted - Kurt and she neglected the other things.

Now Greg, not at all what I expected him to look like - is older than Melissa and is a vice president at Westinghouse. Both Melissa and the girls moved in with him prior to his messy divorce. I guess Abby's studio was doing OK until the economy went sour. This was after she had already remortgaged the studio to do updates. Greg steps in to bail her out. The latest is that Melissa and Greg as of Jan 2015 have moved out of their old home in Pittsburgh and into a newly built home, also in Pittsburgh but in a more upscale neighborhood.

• Love 4

I struggle so much with this show. I know that common sense dictates that reality shows, by and large, are scripted. But what I get stuck on every single time I watch an episode is that I just don't think these girls are that great at acting. We see these girls crying (sometimes hysterically crying) and clearly upset and frustrated with the way Abby treats them. How do we reconcile that with a scripted reality show? I'm not being sarcastic - I'm truly asking for some input.

And I have no idea why Melissa thinks that only 10 year olds are criticizing these Sia videos. I am a grown ass woman and I have absolutely no desire to watch a 12 year old writhing around in a cage with a grown man.

• Love 6

The captions said that Shia texted Maddie, and Sia texted Melissa.

Why was Maddie practicing on what looked like maybe a 6x6 piece of wood flooring? Wouldn't the studio have a tap studio with an appropriate floor?

Mackenzie's solo looked like a gymnastics floor exercise, down to the leotard and pigtails. Get the girl into a gymnastics gym or cheer gym, drop any pretense of a music "career", and let her succeed out of Maddie's shadow. When even her own mom can't be happy for her because it took away from the golden child, that's a sign of trouble.

Maddie's tap solo didn't seem super-advanced to me, unless they cut parts that were more technical (my DD is at a studio which focuses on tap/Jazz (with lots of ballet technique), and pretty much any of the tappers who are 10 or older could have done that pretty easily, and they're not dancing near the hours Maddie is.) I'm guessing that Maddie's tap technique simply isn't developing as much as it should because she's spending too much time on other stuff, and that's kind of sad because she does seem to really love tapping. It's an unforgiving dance style.

JoJo was on fire. She's just plain good at putting on a show. And that dates to pre-Abby because she had it on AUDC, too. I'm also really liking Jessalyn more and more-I think she's replaced Holly as the only sane mom.

• Love 3

I like Jessalyn too. Screw Melissa for saying that Maddie deserves more attention than JoJo since she's been there longer.

Did anyone watch the episode that was on after? It was a super old one that they added "bubbles" to like Pop Up Video. The girls were so small. Abby was so big. And she did actually give praise and constructive criticism instead of just screaming like a lunatic.

• Love 3

My favorite part of the whole night (and I rewound it a few times for the pure joy) was Melissa bragging about the video with her proud mama smile and saying how everybody loved it and everybody thought it was amazing. Cut to Jessalyn looking up reviews and reading all the negative reviews and then cut back to Melissa with stink pouty face well I don't care what those 10 year olds think. Priceless. Might be my favorite Dance Moms sequence ever.

That made me laugh so much.  Mainly because I remember when the video came out, all the feedback I saw was negative.  I don't know what Melissa could have been looking at. I get not wanting to be brought down by "haters" who will find fault with everything, but pretending there was no negative feedback whatsoever is just odd.  But it's also typical Melissa.

• Love 3

I like Jessalyn too. Screw Melissa for saying that Maddie deserves more attention than JoJo since she's been there longer.

Did anyone watch the episode that was on after? It was a super old one that they added "bubbles" to like Pop Up Video. The girls were so small. Abby was so big. And she did actually give praise and constructive criticism instead of just screaming like a lunatic.

I watched it!!!  I'm wondering if we have a separate thread for it?  It was hilarious, not to mention telling, to see the fourth episode the show ever had during the first season.

• Love 2

I think the competition was staged, but I don't necessarily think the girls reactions to said competition were staged.  If Maddie knew she was going to lose, she would have been better prepared to handle it.  She's too image conscious not to know better.  Plus there is no way they would script the show to have Maddie be a brat as showing Maddie in a bad light can actually hurt her real career.  I don't even think Melissa would be stupid enough to agree to that.

What was odd though, and of course I don't know the order of actual filming, but Maddie looked genuinely okay when she was on stage.  It was after, if indeed the backstage stuff was taped after, where she got all bratty.  I wonder if maybe she was expecting to get off stage and have Abby crowing about how she should have won over Mack and how she was robbed and then Abby didn't say any of that.  I think maybe Maddie was expecting Abby to not be happy about Mack's win and commiserate with her, which Abby didn't do and that set her off.  Plus probably Melissa and everyone being in her face.  Not making excuses for the girl, but she did seem okay when on the stage.

• Love 1

I have to believe that the solo situation was scripted , because the alternative being that Melissa said that about Mackenzie on national television, where inevitably she will see that someday is incredibly sad to me.

And Maddies fit "why are you crying it's a stupid competition" in the same episode where at some point she said " the competition team comes first for me". I mean I know she's only 12, I inow she can't reason like an adult, but if all they are doing is dumb competitions, why is her whole family (and everyone else's for that matter) uprooted on the other side of the country if it's not important. I thought she looked happy in the stage, but we also know they have been grilled about not looking disappointed on stage, so I wonder if her reaction was more shock/ overcompensating to cover her sadness.

I have to believe that the solo situation was scripted , because the alternative being that Melissa said that about Mackenzie on national television, where inevitably she will see that someday is incredibly sad to me.

And Maddies fit "why are you crying it's a stupid competition" in the same episode where at some point she said " the competition team comes first for me". I mean I know she's only 12, I inow she can't reason like an adult, but if all they are doing is dumb competitions, why is her whole family (and everyone else's for that matter) uprooted on the other side of the country if it's not important. I thought she looked happy in the stage, but we also know they have been grilled about not looking disappointed on stage, so I wonder if her reaction was more shock/ overcompensating to cover her sadness.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow I do not like Abby picking on JoJo. Its like the woman cannot handle a happy, independent, spirited child. So immature and unacceptable behavior. I hope Jojo never changes!

DIED laughing at "mckenzie is working on her second album... people are buying her record." BAHAHHAHAHHA. 

Edited by hqtextbook
  • Love 3
Maddie's tap solo didn't seem super-advanced to me, unless they cut parts that were more technical (my DD is at a studio which focuses on tap/Jazz (with lots of ballet technique), and pretty much any of the tappers who are 10 or older could have done that pretty easily, and they're not dancing near the hours Maddie is.) I'm guessing that Maddie's tap technique simply isn't developing as much as it should because she's spending too much time on other stuff, and that's kind of sad because she does seem to really love tapping. It's an unforgiving dance style.

Exactly.  That wasn't an advanced tap routine at all.  Perhaps they cut more difficult parts out.  I was wondering if that was one of their staged competitions.  The auditorium seemed to have more people than the usual staged ones, but it's probably easier to do that in Orange County with the show not regularly filming there than it is in Pittsburgh. 

• Love 2

So many things.

Nia's standing up to Abby at pyramid? Brilliant. How she was bottom of the pyramid other than for hatred is beyond me

Abby's treatment of Jojo when she was just in the corner practicing was despicable. Abby should be ashamed. And you could see it on Travis's face that he was having none of it. Abby says it to Jojo because she won't say it to her mother, but none of it was necessary. Obviously Jojo isn't teaching class. Abby just wanted an excuse to be mean.

Jojo may be annoying and over the top at times, but she's a kid. I really like her and I hope she has a real teacher that uses her energy. Abby's comments about Jojo embarrassing her? What a load. Abby embarrasses herself.

Melissa is disgusting in how she treats Maddie v. Mackenzie. Mack is either already aware of it, or she will be aware of it soon enough. She knows she's on camera, she knows her kid is going to see this at some point, don't say what you said. Now, she's right that Mack looked like a 7 year old, but you don't say that on camera. You say, "I'm sad for Maddie that she got 2nd place, but I'm really happy that Mack got first. How amazing to be  mom of the first and second place winners!" Maddie can tap but that dance looked stupid. 

Abby and her weave? You could see that thing bobbing away on Maddie's head. It was amazing. 

• Love 2

At the end when Holly and the other moms asked if she thought kenzie should've won she said no. What kind of mother does that. I truly believe Melissa has some sort of mental illness

I forgot about that! Score 1 for Jesslyn! No wonder Melissa and Abby get along so well - whenever someone points out a negative against Maddie - they both come up with childish replies. I don't tweet or instagram - but I did post of my dislike of the video on Facebook and ah - sorry to tell you Melissa - most of us are 35 yrs + commenting on there.

Melissa is a very spoiled woman. I did some background searches on Melissa and Greg. Melissa and Kurt had to declare bankruptcy a couple of times I think while they were married. Melissa reminds me of my mother ( who I adore ) but she's a compulsive spender and my dad worked until 70 so they could pay off the bills - which she has since worked back up there. I'm sure between the dancing, competitions and giving the girl every thing they wanted - Kurt and she neglected the other things.

Now Greg, not at all what I expected him to look like - is older than Melissa and is a vice president at Westinghouse. Both Melissa and the girls moved in with him prior to his messy divorce. I guess Abby's studio was doing OK until the economy went sour. This was after she had already remortgaged the studio to do updates. Greg steps in to bail her out. The latest is that Melissa and Greg as of Jan 2015 have moved out of their old home in Pittsburgh and into a newly built home, also in Pittsburgh but in a more upscale neighborhood.

I read that this is why Maddie is favored. And Kurt blames dance on ruining their marriage. I truly believe Melissa was probably putting dance over everything else including her marriage. Also read she cheated on Greg while he was still married. In season 1 she left the girls with Abby and gianna while she went on vacation with her bf. I feel bad for Mack and Maddie. Melissa is physically there but not emotionally
  • Love 2
(edited)

The video that dropped in this episode was the third one, no?  The boring all weird facials one, so why was Shia Lebouf texting Maddie?  OOGIE!!!!  Melissa is one big ole pile of bad parental decisions.

Loved Travis Payne, especially for his JoJo pep talk and his reaction to the girls coming in second.  That, Abby-You-Monster, is how you teach dance!

I was really hoping since I was spoiled that Mack won with a good solo and not a gymnastics-in-pig-tails solo.  That tap of Maddie's didn't look very challenging to me for a 12-year-old either.  I figured that they had Maddie rehearsing on a square of parquet because they had the floor at 3rd street so massively marley'd that Abby and Maddie wouldn't have been able to clearly hear her tap sounds to make corrections.  Pretty sure it's not like that normally (the black overlay on the floor), when we've seen it on SYTYCD and DwTS, I think it's normally just wood.

Oh, and when did I go from hating to loving JoJo?  I couldn't stand her in her AUDC season.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 2

Guys, my DVR must have cut off the end -- what did Melissa say about Mack that was so horrible? I must have missed it...

What was odd though, and of course I don't know the order of actual filming, but Maddie looked genuinely okay when she was on stage.  It was after, if indeed the backstage stuff was taped after, where she got all bratty.  I wonder if maybe she was expecting to get off stage and have Abby crowing about how she should have won over Mack and how she was robbed and then Abby didn't say any of that.  I think maybe Maddie was expecting Abby to not be happy about Mack's win and commiserate with her, which Abby didn't do and that set her off.  Plus probably Melissa and everyone being in her face.  Not making excuses for the girl, but she did seem okay when on the stage.

Yeah, I figured this was the case too...

Also agree about Maddie's tap.  I don't know much about tap, but it didn't seem very advanced to me -- plus her hair looked silly and the costume was awkward.  Maddie's previous tap solo - game of love - I liked better!  It had more charm... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0VONrWeJjM

Mack's was just trick after trick... but she does seem to have learned some cool new tricks!  If only they could incorporate a little dancing in between the tricks...

• Love 1

That's so true, and we know she actually CAN dance judging from the groups where she's certainly better than JoJo and often Nia. I'd love to see her with a real solo that was all hers and see how she does - one where she isn't pushed into doing "Maddie Face" to make the dance.

But really, I think the kid belongs on the gym floor not a dance stage. Had her Mom been paying attention to anyone other than Maddie we might be talking about MackZ and a possible Olympic berth. Melissa really hasn't done well by that kid. I want to bring her home with me, send her back to school, sign her up for gym class, and let her eat chips to her hearts content on the weekends. 

• Love 1

Abby has hated every little girl with blonde hair.  It doesn't seem like a coincidence.

Are tap gogo boots practical?

I've come to dislike Maddie face #3 (Bell's Palsy half-smirk) as much as #1 (abject misery) and #2 (glue-sniffing euphoria).

I just don't think Abby's crazy act is for show.  I could watch a full hour of Abby fussing with her hair piece with protruding tongue, while the moms point and laugh.  Jill's belly laugh got me going.  They truly despise her - all of them.

• Love 10

RedheadZombie, at the risk of mixing scripted reality shows - will you accept this rose? Hilarious Maddie-face names.

Cali, I think you have coined the perfect new name for our beloved dance teacher - Abby Mee Miller.

• Love 1

Maddie is great at tapping, and it's not an easy dance style. If she could develop a great voice, she could actually become someone big on broadway. But just dancing is not enough. That's why I laugh when Abby talks about kids on broadway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but although it's awesome to be in the ensemble, it's really not what I would call a great job. (And I have family who are professional stage actors, and it's a side job for them.)

I don't want to be mean towards a 12 year old little girl, but I completely agreed with her on looking terrible with her hair. When she tapped, the weave literally bounced around like it was barely attached and it didn't match the color well enough. Even if I hadn't seen Abby take it out and put it on her, I would have known it was a poorly done hair job. I've used those types of things for dance and cheer myself, and if you just plop it in---like it looked like, it looks terrible.

The whole episode was bleh---Maddie's tap was good but not advanced for her age (I did it, I know how hard it is and that dance was very basic), Mackenzie's solo was same old though some newer tricks, and frankly, Jojo should have won. Abby's behavior towards Jojo was ridiculous and the group dance was good, but definitely not a comp dance. 

Same ole same ole---when is this show ending?

• Love 2
Why the hell does Shia LeBeouf have Maddie's phone number?

I know right?  I have a 12 year old daughter and while I MIGHT allow her to perform in a video with LeBeouf with next to nothing on (wait . . . . no I wouldn't, but anyway . . ) there's no way in hell I'm giving him her phone number.  Gross.

• Love 1

I think we need to invent new words to describe how incredibly done with this whole shit show Holly and Nia are.  They don't roll their eyes in the glorious way that Christie did.  Instead, it shows in their entire bodies and their demeanor.  You can't even say they're over it because they are so far past that into literally counting the seconds until their contracts expire.  We really do need a word for that.  We could use it for Meri on Sister Wives also.

About that, I don't think I've seen or heard anything about Nia and Holly's contract with the show.  Nia's been on since the beginning and so I assume they originally had the same contract the other girls did, which apparently ended last year, hence Chloe and Christie's leaving.  Since Nia and Holly didn't leave then (which I don't understand--they must have been really hard up for the money) does that mean they signed another contract?  If so, how long is it for?  I'm completely anticipating this season ending with Holly and Nia leaving, and the rest is just marking time.  So does that mean they would have just extended their contract for one year?  Can they do that?  I have no idea how this works.

Normally the contract extensions are for one or two years so yes, they could have done a one year extension easily  It's frequently really  a separate contract but that's a technicality. 

(edited)

You know who makes great money? Doctoral-level school administrators.

;)

I can only imagine fame/"opportunities" is the real reason the Fraziers stay. There's no way they're replacing Holly's lost income on this rinky-dink show.

Very foolish and short-sighted.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 2