Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Now that Durant has his ring I wonder if he will go back to OKC a la Lebron style and try to win a championship for them. I doubt it because Westbrook and those fans want nothing to do with him, but I would like to see it happen. 

(edited)
4 minutes ago, twoods said:

Now that Durant has his ring I wonder if he will go back to OKC a la Lebron style and try to win a championship for them. I doubt it because Westbrook and those fans want nothing to do with him, but I would like to see it happen. 

I believe that he wants to and is going to try and stay long term with the Warriors. He has said he is willing to take a paycut and he wants to stay with the Warriors. I do wonder however, how the Warriors winning the title this year will affect who other teams pursue/end up with. I wonder who the Cavs might try and get to make their team even more competitive against the Warriors. I also wonder where free agents like Chris Paul may end up. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
On 6/6/2017 at 11:25 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

David West is really the one that glommed onto the Warriors for a ring. 

KD is at least a bit contributor and has made them better.

I'm wondering if you meant to write "KD is at least a big contributor"?  :)

So happy for Kevin, long time coming.  I would have been happy just to see him get the championship, but to be Finals MVP as well...so thrilled. I'm so glad nothing happened to derail them.

• Love 2

Great game, congrats Warriors they dominated. I expected them to take it tonight at home.

33 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I doubt it because Westbrook and those fans want nothing to do with him, but I would like to see it happen. 

Cavs fans wanted nothing to do with Lebron either, were burning his jerseys.

I love the Warriors.  They play with a lightness and a joy that Steph Curry, in particular, really manifests, and I love them/him; plus, they play as a team.  I'm thrilled for them.  Kevin Durant is something else.  An incredibly deserving MVP.

On the other hand, nothing about the Cavs or LeBron James inspires me.  James is smug, entitled, and whiny and plays with no enjoyment; it's completely uninspiring and unappealing.

I think Game 3 was my favorite.  It was utterly devastating for James and the Cavs, which just delights me; it was also a gutsy, exhilarating win for the Warriors, which delights me even more.

There is so much obvious meddling in the outcomes of games, though, that it's really hard for me to get too invested in the NBA.

• Love 6
(edited)

Watching last night's game & victory lap by those Warriors was downright torture. I had a bad feeling earlier in the day, that Game 5 could get very bad for the Cavs & I was right. 

I love the Warriors.  They play with a lightness and a joy that Steph Curry, in particular, really manifests, and I love them/him; plus, they play as a team.  I'm thrilled for them.  Kevin Durant is something else.  An incredibly deserving MVP.

Other than maybe David West, seeing the rest of the Warriors in the glory last night has just about made me violently ill. It also irritated me seeing Javale McGee & that dunce Mike Brown are also getting a ring. I always laugh at Javale McGee when he was on Shaqtin A Fool on a daily basis because he always makes me laugh & puts a smile on my face while on there. Now, he is a crybaby & Shaq can't mock him anymore because he finally got a ring. Mike Brown is a fool & sad excuse of a coach. He did absolutely nothing while Steve Kerr was out due to his back. Those Warriors didn't need him for their success. I'm still shocked that he is still in the NBA in any capacity.

Overall, this season (just like the 2017 NBA Finals) was a complete bust. GM David Griffith has got some work to do right now because I'm already certain that those Warriors will be there when the 2018 NBA Finals comes around next year & he need to make some improvements on the Cavaliers so that what happen this year doesn't happen again next year.

And it will hopefully put an end to this stupid resting players bull crap that ESPN & NBA are making a big deal out of it because it sure as hell didn't do us any good. 

I believe that he wants to and is going to try and stay long term with the Warriors. He has said he is willing to take a paycut and he wants to stay with the Warriors. I do wonder however, how the Warriors winning the title this year will affect who other teams pursue/end up with. I wonder who the Cavs might try and get to make their team even more competitive against the Warriors. I also wonder where free agents like Chris Paul may end up. 

Kevin Durant might be willing to take a paycut, but what about the other Warriors? I think some of them want to really get paid because of the championships. 

ESPN was most definitely thrilled that their favorite NBA team won the title last night. To them, it's like the Dallas Cowboys (another one of their favorite teams) winning the Super Bowl.

Edited by Magog

It's so funny about perception, because how I see it, ESPN wanted the Cavs to win and push the series out more, and also, they love LeBron James more than any other athlete on Earth.

Which, incidentally, is part of the reason I loathe LBJ as much as I do and I am happy that the Warriors won, and sad they didn't sweep.

• Love 6

If you watch the Warriors play and don't appreciate the team oriented, modern, truly outstanding game that they exhibit on the court then :

1.  You have a very high standard and.....

2.  I actually pity you a bit for not being able to enjoy what you are watching. 

The same goes for Lebron as a player.  I am not Lebron fan, but I don't dispute, he is a truly remarkable player and almost without peer in his all around game.  He used to be much more of a driver and power player, but his outside game in particular in the last few years has been amazing.  Some of the 3 he hits are unreal.  Guys right in his face from 25 feet. 

they were talking this morning about how this warriors team compares to the greats of the past, the lakers/Celtics 80s, the early 80s 76ers and the 90s bulls.  I have seen all those teams.  I was a huge fan of the Celtics in the 80s.  This team is every bit as good as those. 

• Love 3
(edited)

For the Warrior fans that have been long time fans, and not these recent bandwagon-ers throwing all their $ around, I'm glad they were able to win in their court and experience it live.  So congrats to them.  And to KD, who finally got his ring, even if he had to join an already stacked team.  He played out of his mind - ala Kyrie last year.

If the Cavs are intact next year, maybe we'll see another run.

I just think the Warriors wanted vindication more.  Similar to last year, when they played so lacklustered down the stretch, and Cleveland was hungrier.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

On the other hand, nothing about the Cavs or LeBron James inspires me.  James is smug, entitled, and whiny and plays with no enjoyment; it's completely uninspiring and unappealing.

I think Game 3 was my favorite.  It was utterly devastating for James and the Cavs, which just delights me; it was also a gutsy, exhilarating win for the Warriors, which delights me even more.

There is so much obvious meddling in the outcomes of games, though, that it's really hard for me to get too invested in the NBA.

These last two finals have actually made me appreciate LeBron more. I think that he has come across as very mature and has really come into his own as a man/player. Steph is the one that seems arrogant. I wish he would keep his mouthpiece in his mouth.

I think that the biggest difference maker in this series was definitely Kevin Durant. He is the main reason why the Warriors won. Without him, I think that the Cavs would have beat them. He kept them on top this series. Some of their shots last night weren’t falling, including Steph’s. I think they are a beatable team especially if you get physical with them. If the Cavs had just scored a bit more last night they would have won last’s night game. I think they will learn from this experience and come back stronger. I also think that the Spurs will come back stronger as well, and that things may not end up being as easy for the Warriors next year. I hope they aren’t. Them dominating the NBA in the manner they did this year is not the least  bit exciting, IMO. I honestly felt nothing watching them win. I was less enthused about them winning then I was about teams like the Spurs/ Kobe/Shaq Lakers winning, during times they did in the past. And I wasn't a fan of the Spurs/ and really disliked the Kobe/Shaq Lakers.

2 hours ago, Magog said:

Watching last night's game & victory lap by those Warriors was downright torture. I had a bad feeling earlier in the day, that Game 5 could get very bad for the Cavs & I was right....

Kevin Durant might be willing to take a paycut, but what about the other Warriors? I think some of them want to really get paid because of the championships. 

ESPN was most definitely thrilled that their favorite NBA team won the title last night. To them, it's like the Dallas Cowboys (another one of their favorite teams) winning the Super Bowl.

I think they are going to try and stay together but I wonder how they are going to work things out financially. I also wonder about Klay who didn't play that well in this series, (outside of like one game) and who's play has diminished this season. 

I do feel like the Cavs can compete with the Warriors and may come back stronger against them next year if they make the finals again. They could have won against them last night if another player (or a couple of other players on the team has slightly better game. LeBron did a good job of bringing them back mulitple times. I don't think they going to have as easy of a season next year. I believe they will lose more games in the playoffs. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Also I don't think Durant leaves the Warriors. 

If anything I think Steph may leave at some point to go and play in Charlotte.  Not in the next few years, but after that.  And as a Hornets fan living in Charlotte, I would love to see that happen.  Even without playing for the Hornets he is already a cult hero locally.  Everyone loves him here, kids and adults alike.  If he was able to joint the Hornets and make them a contender, or win a title, he would be God-like in Charlotte. 

(edited)
14 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

If you watch the Warriors play and don't appreciate the team oriented, modern, truly outstanding game that they exhibit on the court then :

1.  You have a very high standard and.....

2.  I actually pity you a bit for not being able to enjoy what you are watching. 

The same goes for Lebron as a player.  I am not Lebron fan, but I don't dispute, he is a truly remarkable player and almost without peer in his all around game.  He used to be much more of a driver and power player, but his outside game in particular in the last few years has been amazing.  Some of the 3 he hits are unreal.  Guys right in his face from 25 feet. 

they were talking this morning about how this warriors team compares to the greats of the past, the lakers/Celtics 80s, the early 80s 76ers and the 90s bulls.  I have seen all those teams.  I was a huge fan of the Celtics in the 80s.  This team is every bit as good as those. 

I don't deny that the Warriors are a very talented team, but I'm just not that impressed that they won a championship. It's like being impressed that a very rich person dresses well, because they can afford a stylist.  (And them getting KD is like a rich person marrying a lottery winner). There just isn't much to root for them, IMO. As far as them being one of the greatest teams, I think this current version needs to win more championships to booster that claim. As of right now they are one of the best constructed teams and teams built through the draft, but I think they need to prove their dominance for a bit before they should be called "The Greatest Team of all time" like I am seeing some analysts do. I think the brakes need to be pumped on that claim. I think that the Cavs could have beat them had they played more consistently and I don't think they are going to have it as easy next year. I think that a healthy Spurs team could challenge them and some moves are going to be made in the offseason by teams and players that could challenge them. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

It's so funny about perception, because how I see it, ESPN wanted the Cavs to win and push the series out more, and also, they love LeBron James more than any other athlete on Earth.

Which, incidentally, is part of the reason I loathe LBJ as much as I do and I am happy that the Warriors won, and sad they didn't sweep.

So you're going to hate a player not because of what he does or does not do, but because someone else tongue bathes him?  So you must hate MJ, too.  And Nicklaus, Palmer,  Jesse Owens, Babe Ruth (who the media WORSHIPPED), Serena, Rod Laver, Montana etc etc etc

Seriously? 

That's like saying you hate Abraham Lincoln because historians and African Americans worship him.

(edited)

I don't deny that the Warriors are a very talented team, but I'm just not that impressed that they won a championship. It's like being impressed that a very rich person dresses well, because they can afford a stylist.  (And them getting KD is like a rich person marrying a lottery winner). There just isn't much to root for them, IMO.

This is so weird to me. How is the Warriors building their way up to two championships in three years with huge contributions from three homegrown players not impressive? People talk about the Warriors like they paid for five of the best NBA players to win this championship when in actuality, a very good player made his own decision to join them and they succeeded (again, after doing it two years ago, which was also impressive!). The Warriors were at the bottom of the standings at the beginning of this decade and they've turned that around to be a team that other fans can't even allow themselves to enjoy because they believe them to be a dynasty, that's pretty impressive as it is!  So it's a bizarre narrative to me, this idea that the Warriors have been rolling in gold and deserve this championship less because KD was on their team, as if any fan of any other team would have said "actually, KD, if you come here, our championship will be bought!" 

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 6

The Warriors have made their "heel turn" from scrappy underdogs to overbearing overlords incredibly quickly, with not really that much meat to the issue. As noted their nucleus is homegrown and Durant can choose whoever he wants. NBA players being able to choose their place of work for any reason is a fact of life now, and I don't think there's any going back. The NBA's imposition of a max contract has eliminated franchises from breaking the bank to lure superstars to them, so it's really down to lifestyle and basketball choices. Durant going to the Warriors doesn't annoy me nearly as much as the prospect of multiple superstars going to the Lakers in the next couple of years to give them an insta-contender. Paul George has made it known he wants to go there.  LeBron has a house in Brentwood and his contract is up after next season. If that happens it will make me ill. Miami may also be able to reload with free agents as that's an attractive place to play with no property taxes as well.

I have to say though I generally like the Warriors, their style of basketball leaves me a little cold with their tendency to take the quick threes without running much of an offense. It obviously works, but aesthetically my favorite recent championship team to watch was the last Spurs championship team. Their dismantling of the LeBrons was just such a beautiful team effort. I'm a Celtics fan, but the last Celtics championship team was more blood, guts, and effort than beautiful basketball.

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

So you're going to hate a player not because of what he does or does not do, but because someone else tongue bathes him?  So you must hate MJ, too.  And Nicklaus, Palmer,  Jesse Owens, Babe Ruth (who the media WORSHIPPED), Serena, Rod Laver, Montana etc etc etc

Seriously? 

That's like saying you hate Abraham Lincoln because historians and African Americans worship him.

I never said that was the only reason.  And for the record, of the athletes who I could have seen play in my lifetime, I cannot stand Joe Montana or Tom Brady, I hated the Chicago Bulls.  

It's my own personal opinion why I hate LBJ as a player and Cleveland.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

If anything I think Steph may leave at some point to go and play in Charlotte.  Not in the next few years, but after that.  And as a Hornets fan living in Charlotte, I would love to see that happen.  Even without playing for the Hornets he is already a cult hero locally.  Everyone loves him here, kids and adults alike.  If he was able to joint the Hornets and make them a contender, or win a title, he would be God-like in Charlotte. 

I'm another Hornets fan who lives in Charlotte. Steph Curry will only come here after he's broken down and washed up. No thanks.

Congrats to the Warriors, but there's no way this is good for the league. Cleveland will re-load over the summer, and the other 28 teams will be irrelevant. Again.

2 hours ago, Jx223 said:

I don't deny that the Warriors are a very talented team, but I'm just not that impressed that they won a championship. It's like being impressed that a very rich person dresses well, because they can afford a stylist.  (And them getting KD is like a rich person marrying a lottery winner). There just isn't much to root for them, IMO. As far as them being one of the greatest teams, I think this current version needs to win more championships to booster that claim. As of right now they are one of the best constructed teams and teams built through the draft, but I think they need to prove their dominance for a bit before they should be called "The Greatest Team of all time" like I am seeing some analysts do. I think the brakes need to be pumped on that claim. I think that the Cavs could have beat them had they played more consistently and I don't think they are going to have it as easy next year. I think that a healthy Spurs team could challenge them and some moves are going to be made in the offseason by teams and players that could challenge them. 

I don't think the Warriors as of now are the best team of all time.  I cannot even claim they are as good as the late 90s bulls who won three titles and had a similar 3 year record since they couldn't finish the deal last year.  That hurt them, blowing a 3-1 lead. Jordan would never blow a 3-1 lead in anything.  So yes, at this point all you can say is they are in the discussion.  They need probably two more titles in a short time to try and claim the best ever or better than those other teams. 

However in regard to the impression of them being a rich team and being like a rich person winning the lottery, I would ask this :  Say five years ago, if given a choice of any trio on any team in the league plus coach to try and win multiple titles in the next five seasons, how many people would have picked Steph Curry, Draymond Green and Klay Thompson with Steve Kerr as coach?  I am doubting anyone would have picked them first.  Yes that is the core of the team that has done this.  Everything else is built around them.  Even Durant, yes he was added, but without them winning a title two years ago and beating OKC last year, Durant never ends up on that team.  They had to be a great team to start to do that and get him on the team.  And they have done it in a unique way that was different than anything done before.  These players were not sure fire all stars let alone all pro players coming out of college.  They didn't just go out and buy established stars or attract established stars to win, which is much of what you see done in this league.  Celtics did it.  Lakers did it.  Heat did it......not once but twice.  You attract a big name free agents, package something for sure fire lottery picks, get a group of 3 all stars to come together and you are a contender.  Even the hiring of Kerr, he had no head coaching experiencing when hired.  Any team could have hired him.  They didn't. 

As for comments about GS style not being impressive, I completely disagree.  Just because they get open and shoot fast is not fun to watch?  If its not five passes and 10 seconds into the shot clock its not as impressive?  When they are at the top of their game and hitting on all cylinders on offense, I am as mesmerized by their play as any team I have ever seen.  It is much more than just run down the court and shoot the three ball.  Houston does that too, they shoot far more threes than GS each season.  And they are good, but  they are not GS

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

This is so weird to me. How is the Warriors building their way up to two championships in three years with huge contributions from three homegrown players not impressive? People talk about the Warriors like they paid for five of the best NBA players to win this championship when in actuality, a very good player made his own decision to join them and they succeeded (again, after doing it two years ago, which was also impressive!). The Warriors were at the bottom of the standings at the beginning of this decade and they've turned that around to be a team that other fans can't even allow themselves to enjoy because they believe them to be a dynasty, that's pretty impressive as it is!  So it's a bizarre narrative to me, this idea that the Warriors have been rolling in gold and deserve this championship less because KD was on their team, as if any fan of any other team would have said "actually, KD, if you come here, our championship will be bought!" 

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

However in regard to the impression of them being a rich team and being like a rich person winning the lottery, I would ask this :  Say five years ago, if given a choice of any trio on any team in the league plus coach to try and win multiple titles in the next five seasons, how many people would have picked Steph Curry, Draymond Green and Klay Thompson with Steve Kerr as coach?  I am doubting anyone would have picked them first.  Yes that is the core of the team that has done this.  Everything else is built around them.  Even Durant, yes he was added, but without them winning a title two years ago and beating OKC last year, Durant never ends up on that team.  They had to be a great team to start to do that and get him on the team.  And they have done it in a unique way that was different than anything done before.  These players were not sure fire all stars let alone all pro players coming out of college.  They didn't just go out and buy established stars or attract established stars to win, which is much of what you see done in this league.  Celtics did it.  Lakers did it.  Heat did it......not once but twice.  You attract a big name free agents, package something for sure fire lottery picks, get a group of 3 all stars to come together and you are a contender.  Even the hiring of Kerr, he had no head coaching experiencing when hired.  Any team could have hired him.  They didn't. 

As for comments about GS style not being impressive, I completely disagree.  Just because they get open and shoot fast is not fun to watch?  If its not five passes and 10 seconds into the shot clock its not as impressive?  When they are at the top of their game and hitting on all cylinders on offense, I am as mesmerized by their play as any team I have ever seen.  It is much more than just run down the court and shoot the three ball.  Houston does that too, they shoot far more threes than GS each season.  And they are good, but  they are not GS

Yes, I am really not impressed with an already stacked team with a previous 73-9 record adding a superstar (from a team that was one of the few teams that could challenge them/almost beat them last year ) winning a championship.  (Really the KD addition is one of the things I dislike the most about them even though of course I acknowledge that was free agent and had the right to go wherever he wanted).  I am not entertained by them dominating the league/beating up teams in the league largely because of that addition.  And taking out the one of the other few teams that could challenge them during these playoffs by injuring their best player. Golden State was not really challenged much this year and I don't find that impressive.  I have my favorites (like the Pacers) but I am a basketball fan in general and I don't like how Golden State acquiring Kevin Durant has impacted the league and affected parity/competition. Yes, other teams have done it, but not all of them have won championships doing it, and the league was still more competitive during some of those times. This is the most extreme case I have ever seen of team stacking and I don't like the effect it is having on things in the league like the playoffs.

That is not to say that Golden State is not an extremely talented team. They are. And I think their ability to draft well is impressive. I give them credit for drafting Steph, Klay Draymond and someone like Mark Jackson believing in them and planting the seeds for a great team. They showed a lot of heart during that emotional series against the Clippers during the Donald Sterling fiasco.  And I am not going to say they didn't deserve to win. They played like the better team and they won. I just wasn't excited or that entertained by it. I was more entertained watching finals with teams that I wasn't a fan of/disliked like the Spurs/Kobe/Shaq Lakers because the league was more competitive then and the playoffs weren't as dismal. I know that teams will dominate but when there isn't even much competition going on , that is not good, IMO.

3 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Congrats to the Warriors, but there's no way this is good for the league. Cleveland will re-load over the summer, and the other 28 teams will be irrelevant. Again.

I think they just about ruined the playoffs/postseason, but believe it or not I enjoyed the regular season, and still think that the regular season could be consistently enjoyable. I love basketball in general and I thought there were some good storylines during this regular season. I enjoyed the way that James Harden/Russell Westbrook played, Giannis emerging as a talented and more unique player, Miami starting off terribly and then going on like a 13 game win streak with a team that doesn't have much star powers, etc.... I actually feel like the regular season can still be enjoyable, but that the playoffs might end up being pretty boring for the next few years,  unless some things happen.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

The unrecognized hero during the Warriors run? Steph Curry's ankle.

If there aren't any injury questions about it after his rookie contract, then he signs for at least twice what he is being paid for now. So no deep bench or no Durant.

(edited)

There is a 30 for 30 special airing tonight and tomorrow night on ESPN about the Lakers/Celtics rivalry for anyone who is interested in watching. I think it will be a good documentary.

Also, I heard a report that the Lakers weren't that impressed with Lonzo's Ball workout and that some of them think he's out of shape. I wonder if they really think that, and/or if they are trying to sell the notion that they really aren't desperate to draft him (even though they may really want him). If that report of him is true, then I believe he will get in better conditioning.  The Lakers so far are the only team he's worked out for, ( I did however read a report that he might be willing to work out for the 76ers). I am looking forward to the draft.

Edited by Jx223

I fail to understand why it's the Warriors fault that the other teams in the playoffs didn't provide enough of a challenge and so they should be hated upon and that they "ruined" the playoffs. Sounds like people should be hating upon their own teams with that kind of logic. 

• Love 7

I was bummed when Kawhi got hurt- I think the Spurs could have challenged the Warriors pretty well and we would have gotten a good series. The Warriors took advantage of that and destroyed them. I can't stand them, but they have accomplished a lot the past few years with some unselfish basketball. I'm sure they have another few championships left in them- I just want the other teams to challenge them. I know it's hard because the Warriors are stacked. 

Also, a team who refuses to go to the White House because of their principles is okay in my book. 

• Love 2

ESPN's Lakers/Celtics 30 for 30 is fucking excellent.

Great player interviews, narration and clips. After years of watching them play, it was fun to hear what was going on behind the scenes.

It also reminds me why I hate the other team..

46 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

ESPN's Lakers/Celtics 30 for 30 is fucking excellent.

Great player interviews, narration and clips. After years of watching them play, it was fun to hear what was going on behind the scenes.

It also reminds me why I hate the other team..

I think this 30 for 30 is great. It is very insightful and informative. I liked the interviews from the different players and people from both teams and learning more about the history of each team.  There was definitely some big contrasts between how each team was run. Seeing behind the scenes clips and old pictures of people like Danny Ainge and Dr. Buss was also interesting. Dr. Buss was a colorful character, lol. 

I also liked seeing some parallels from things back then to things that have happened in today's NBA. (Such as players being accused of getting a coach fired, not being clutch, playing dirty, a team blowing a series lead etc...) I am looking forward to part 3 tonight. 

• Love 1

So now rumors of Lebron to the Lakers. 

So that means it could be :  Lebron, Lonzo Ball and Paul George leaving the pacers to go to the Lakers. 

I never thought I could possibly hate the Lakers more than I do now, but that would do it.

That might even out the lakers over the Patriots in my list of team sports hatred. 

30/30 is always good.  I haven't seen the Lakers/Celtics one, but want to see it.  I read the Magic/Bird book a few years back that covered much of it. 

I think its interesting Bird only beat Magic one time head to head in the finals, in college or the pros.  Two of the Celtics titles came vs. the Rockets in the 80s. 

The antithesis to 30/30 in the sports documentary genre is A Football Life.  God those suck and are boring.  ANd I love the NFL and the history of the league, but they make it so damn dull. 

• Love 2
On 6/13/2017 at 8:00 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I fail to understand why it's the Warriors fault that the other teams in the playoffs didn't provide enough of a challenge and so they should be hated upon and that they "ruined" the playoffs. Sounds like people should be hating upon their own teams with that kind of logic. 

Last year, nobody seemed that deflated that a 73-9 team could lose the NBA champhionships blowing a 3-1 lead,  but a team with a "weaker" record the following year goes 15-1 in the playoffs and suddenly they are the reason for the league's decline.

I will say there were several reasons why Kevin went with the Warriors, including the "unselfish" team concept that Durant wouldn't have to play every minute of every game, and even then there was serious speculation as to whether he would ruin the Warriors "chemistry."  

Superteams/dynasties spring up because of a mix of good lottery picks/good coaching/trades/and luck.   The Warriors haven't stacked the deck anymore than other super team as far as trades and it certainly wasn't preordained they were going to take it all this year.  It seems what irks many is that they actually put together an impressive playoff run, arguably the best in history, and respect for that seems grudgingly given, if at all.  

As to Lebron going to LA, it almost seems inevitable to me, and with Lebron seemingly having to carry the Cavaliers on his shoulders the whole damn game, dare we say "age" is a factor that he has to consider as to which team might be the best fit for him.

• Love 4

If LeBron goes to the Lakers, Lonzo won't.  It won't be both.

Lebron has had words with his father recently, plus the nasty dig he gave Kyrie won't sit well.  LeBron has to have some level of control & off the court.  I can't see LA giving him that right now.  They could very well decide to, and then pass on drafting Lonzo.

(edited)
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

So that means it could be :  Lebron, Lonzo Ball and Paul George leaving the pacers to go to the Lakers. 

I never thought I could possibly hate the Lakers more than I do now, but that would do it.

That might even out the lakers over the Patriots in my list of team sports hatred. 

30/30 is always good.  I haven't seen the Lakers/Celtics one, but want to see it.  I read the Magic/Bird book a few years back that covered much of it. 

I think its interesting Bird only beat Magic one time head to head in the finals, in college or the pros.  Two of the Celtics titles came vs. the Rockets in the 80s. 

The antithesis to 30/30 in the sports documentary genre is A Football Life.  God those suck and are boring.  ANd I love the NFL and the history of the league, but they make it so damn dull. 

I heard that reports LeBron could be going to the Lakers or the Clippers. I could see him possibly being interested in going to either team when his contract is up again. Jerry West is now going to work for the Clippers so maybe if Chris Paul stays, Jerry might be able to persuade LeBron to go there. The Lakers are an interesting choice for him to go to, but I don't know what state they are going to be in when his contract is up. They are a younger team and I don't know how good they will be looking when his contract is up. They might not be looking so good, even if they get Lonzo. I think that regardless though If LeBron goes out west his path to the finals will become harder. He may try and really think things out before he possibly decides to move to a west team.

Also, I thought that 30 for 30 did a very nice job of highlighting the history and rivalry of the Celtics/Lakers. I thought it did a good job of showing how they both were dominant in the decade, but also had their struggles. And also showing that some other teams were competitive and did play spoiler to them and prevented them from meeting in the finals against each other more (like the Bucks, Sixers, Rockets and later in the decade the Pistons).  It was a very well done documentary.

11 minutes ago, roamyn said:

If LeBron goes to the Lakers, Lonzo won't.  It won't be both.

Lebron has had words with his father recently, plus the nasty dig he gave Kyrie won't sit well.  LeBron has to have some level of control & off the court.  I can't see LA giving him that right now.  They could very well decide to, and then pass on drafting Lonzo.

I have read reports of the Lakers working out and being impressed by other draft prospects besides Lonzo. I wonder if there is some truth about them not being that sold on Lonzo. I think that will be interesting if they didn't draft him, (though I think there is a good chance they will.)

Edited by Jx223
4 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

Last year, nobody seemed that deflated that a 73-9 team could lose the NBA champhionships blowing a 3-1 lead,  but a team with a "weaker" record the following year goes 15-1 in the playoffs and suddenly they are the reason for the league's decline.

I will say there were several reasons why Kevin went with the Warriors, including the "unselfish" team concept that Durant wouldn't have to play every minute of every game, and even then there was serious speculation as to whether he would ruin the Warriors "chemistry."  

Superteams/dynasties spring up because of a mix of good lottery picks/good coaching/trades/and luck.   The Warriors haven't stacked the deck anymore than other super team as far as trades and it certainly wasn't preordained they were going to take it all this year.  It seems what irks many is that they actually put together an impressive playoff run, arguably the best in history, and respect for that seems grudgingly given, if at all.  

As to Lebron going to LA, it almost seems inevitable to me, and with Lebron seemingly having to carry the Cavaliers on his shoulders the whole damn game, dare we say "age" is a factor that he has to consider as to which team might be the best fit for him.

You're not seriously trying to make the argument that last years' Warriors were a better team, are you? They aggressively chased down that regular season record, only to discover that it only really matters if you win the title. This years' team could've won 73 games if they wanted to.  They didn't want to. They did enough to secure home court, and then put the pedal down during the playoffs.  Smart. 

All that being said, neither the Warriors nor Durant did anything wrong. Golden State is supposed to do whatever they can to make the team better. and as a free agent, Durant was free to go wherever he wanted. 

But if you don't think that a 73-win team adding one of the top-2 players in the league skews the overall competitive balance, I don't know what to tell you. 

• Love 1

This parade is giving me all the feels. Dub Nation!!

It giving me all the feels too. Like getting sprayed by a skunk. 

That 30 for 30 about the Celtics & Lakers was a lot of fun to watch. It was more fun to watch than watching this year's NBA Finals. 

I heard that reports LeBron could be going to the Lakers or the Clippers. I could see him possibly being interested in going to either team when his contract is up again. Jerry West is now going to work for the Clippers so maybe if Chris Paul stays, Jerry might be able to persuade LeBron to go there. The Lakers are an interesting choice for him to go to, but I don't know what state they are going to be in when his contract is up. They are a younger team and I don't know how good they will be looking when his contract is up. They might not be looking so good, even if they get Lonzo. I think that regardless though If LeBron goes out west his path to the finals will become harder. He may try and really think things out before he possibly decides to move to a west team.

Didn't we go through this rumor last offseason? Its like ESPN wants him or is hoping that will want to go to the Lakers & make them relevant again because in their way of thinking, "The NBA is a lot more fun when the Lakers are relevant & are contending for a title." Frankly, I rather see the Lakers stay in that ditch & Magic have egg on his face than them be relevant again. Besides, why would he want to put up with that loser Big Baller Brand & Paul George (Mr $200 Million Dollar man) while they keep getting smoked by those Warriors? LeBron will be 34 by this time next season & its another year of wear & tear on his body. I don't know how long he can keep this up before he starts to break down. I also don't think Chris Paul would be a good teammate for him because Paul is always hurt & he's not as effective against the Warriors. The Warriors are not scared of him or Carmelo Anthony. 

Personally, I much rather see LeBron retired as a Cavalier than see him get egg on his face being with the Lakers or Clippers. 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:47 PM, Artsda said:

Great game, congrats Warriors they dominated. I expected them to take it tonight at home.

Cavs fans wanted nothing to do with Lebron either, were burning his jerseys.

I didn't blame them! LeBron treated all concerned despicably! Gilbert's trying to get in touch with him during the summer to see what the next season would bring, totally ducking him and the media, finally landing in South Beach! It was one of the shadiest things I've seen of a veteran with so many accolades about maturity! I'm still appalled! They even fired the coach thinking that would bring "the King" around! He just left like a thief in the night! The only thing more horrific was the self-entitlement of Bron and his posse thinking they should be able to have the same parking accommodations when returning to Cleveland as a member of the Heat! They were told to hit the public lot like any other visitor! 

• Love 3
(edited)

The Warriors were the first team since Michael Jordan’s Bulls to be favored against the field in the preseason for a championship. Whether or not its odds actually were that high, Golden State made the betting odds look correct, dominating its way to the 2017 NBA title.

The Warriors are already favored to repeat in 2018 – but the degree is astounding.

David Purdum of ESPN:

The Warriors, fresh off Monday night’s 129-120 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers to clinch the NBA title, are listed as -200, odds-on favorites to win next year’s championship, a historic price on a preseason favorite.

“They’re going to be the highest favorite we’ve ever had going into a season, any team in any sport,” Jeff Sherman, NBA oddsmaker at the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook, told ESPN.

Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant are free agents, and I can’t even begin to argue with Golden State as overwhelming favorites. Both players appear all but certain to return with Draymond Green and Klay Thompson – and in a way that allows Golden State to retain Andre Iguodala and Shaun Livingston if it spends.

Is this a problem for the NBA? Commissioner Adam Silver has given simplistic responses about making other teams better, and TV ratings were up for the finals. But Silver previously said the perception of overwhelming favorites was bad for the league, and betting odds reflect perception.

Las Vegas Oddsmaker-2017-18 Warriors Biggest Preseason Favorites In Any Sport. Ever.

Not that Warrior fans should care about any of this. If I were one, I'd just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kip Hackman said:

Not that Warrior fans should care about any of this. If I were one, I'd just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Winning teams do find ways to sabotage themselves; look at the BULLS! Even though winning to the last in '99, all concerned were nicking one another between management, the coach, and players! I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did due to massive egos! 

12 hours ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

I didn't blame them! LeBron treated all concerned despicably! Gilbert's trying to get in touch with him during the summer to see what the next season would bring, totally ducking him and the media, finally landing in South Beach! It was one of the shadiest things I've seen of a veteran with so many accolades about maturity! I'm still appalled! They even fired the coach thinking that would bring "the King" around! He just left like a thief in the night! The only thing more horrific was the self-entitlement of Bron and his posse thinking they should be able to have the same parking accommodations when returning to Cleveland as a member of the Heat! They were told to hit the public lot like any other visitor! 

And now after all that and going back to Ohio there are reports of him going to the Lakers! For what! More money. He might be a gifted basketball player but he is the epitome of a selfish current NBA player if he leaves the Cavs again.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, rcc said:

And now after all that and going back to Ohio there are reports of him going to the Lakers! For what! More money. He might be a gifted basketball player but he is the epitome of a selfish current NBA player if he leaves the Cavs again.

This idiot has a 2nd chance to retire in his home state; few get that chance and he's ready to throw it all away! What a TOOL! ;-(

• Love 1
(edited)

There are now reports out that the Celtics are in discussions to possibly trade the #1 pick to the sixers. The discussions include the Sixers possibly sending some draft picks(including the #3) to the Celtics in exchange for the #1 pick.  If this happened, I wonder who the Sixers would end up taking at #1. It's being reported that they like Markelle Fultz and Josh Jackson. Markelle has met with the Celtics and said that he would like to go to Boston. But maybe that won't happen now if this trade goes through.

There is also another report out there that Magic Johnson loves Markelle and might be willing to give Boston the Lakers #2 pick and Julius Randle to move up to#1 and get him. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19656331/boston-celtics-philadelphia-76ers-talking-trade-no-1

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716144-lakers-reportedly-weighing-trading-julius-randle-to-land-markelle-fultz-in-draft?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Edited by Jx223
(edited)

It is now being reported by ESPN that the Celtics and Philly have agreed in principle to swap the #1 and #3 picks. (The Celtics are the #3 pick in a package of picks from the Sixers). This deal is expected to be finalized on Monday.  It is also being reported that Philly will be taking Markelle Fultz. (Markelle also worked out for the 76ers today.) 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19665119/boston-celtics-philadelphia-76ers-agree-swap-nos-1-3-draft-picks

Edited by Jx223

And here I thought that Ainge might be actually satisfied with the #1 pick and keep it.

I'm choosing to be optimistic about this. Of course if Fultz or Ball for that matter turn out to be the next Michael Jordan, this trade will look bad even if the Celtics draft, say, the next Clyde Drexler.

(edited)
17 hours ago, Fukui San said:

And here I thought that Ainge might be actually satisfied with the #1 pick and keep it.

I'm choosing to be optimistic about this. Of course if Fultz or Ball for that matter turn out to be the next Michael Jordan, this trade will look bad even if the Celtics draft, say, the next Clyde Drexler.

Maybe the Celtics will choose Josh Jackson and he will be a good addition to their team.

Also, it's being reported by Adrian from Yahoo Sports that Paul George has informed the Pacers that he will indeed be leaving in free agency in 2018 and that he prefers to go to the Lakers.  I will miss him as a Pacer but I wish him the best. I could see Paul's decision affecting if the Cavs try and go after him and also possibly affecting what LeBron does in the future. I wonder if the Cavs could persuade him to possibly go to them, even thoughthe Lakers are his top choice right now. I am also interested in seeing what other teams may try and pursue him in 2018.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-paul-george-tells-pacers-plans-leave-franchise-prefers-joining-lakers-191520531.html

Edited by Jx223

Fuck Paul George with a chainsaw. I wish they could do something about player self collusion. Like if a player publicly expresses a wish to play for another team, that team is forbidden to acquire that player. At least make George wait until he's a free agent. 

(edited)

I am glad that Paul was upfront about his intentions. At least he didn't string them along and wait until the very last minute to tell them. They still could trade him and try and get something of value for him(though he might not stay with the team). Either way though the ball is really in his court because even if they trade him he doesn't have to stay with that team. He's ultimately going to go where wants to go anyways, at least the Pacers are getting a heads up about it a year in advance. As a Pacers fan who expected him to leave, I am glad he at least did that much. I am glad the Pacers are not going to be blindsighted by this like OKC was with Kevin Durant.

I'm honestly not mad at him, he made the Pacers competitive for a while. They just fell apart during the playoffs a few years back and then a lot of the players from that team left and they really haven't been the same since. I give him credit for helping them have the record as the best team in the league a few years ago and helping them challenge the Heat for control of the Eastern Conference. And he is from California, so I understand him wanting to go back home. 

***Now I am seeing reports that the Pacers and Cavs are engaging in trade talks for him., which I think makes sense. At least the Pacers can get something for him and he might end up deciding to stay with the Cavs after a year if he thinks they can win a title. At the very least he would get to go farther in the postseason than he's been in a while (maybe ever) with the Cavs.***

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

LeBron was going to the Lakers last year, too.  Remember?

If he wants to leave, more power to him - just no tv specials abt it.

But one of the reasons he came back, was because his wife wanted to raise their kids near family.  They have a 3, 11, & 9 yr old.  Now that Jr. is getting offers from colleges, if he wants to play any sport, now's the time to really start upping the practices and tutoring.  That means stability.  So he either makes a move next summer, or he probably will retire a Cav.

As long as he doesn't go to the Warriors. ?

(edited)

There are some new reports coming out now that say that the Cavs are trying to acquire Jimmy Butler for the Bulls in a multi team deal. It is also being reported that the Timberwolves are trying to engage in talks with the Bulls regarding Jimmy Butler and that the Suns are interested in him too. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19682394/cleveland-cavaliers-trying-engage-chicago-bulls-multi-team-trade-scenarios-jimmy-butler

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-cavaliers-jimmy-butler-bulls-timberwolves-celtics/1vkijfjxg3lcx1ecp1hb3nsd7w

Edited by Jx223
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:06 PM, Jx223 said:

I am glad that Paul was upfront about his intentions. At least he didn't string them along and wait until the very last minute to tell them. They still could trade him and try and get something of value for him(though he might not stay with the team). Either way though the ball is really in his court because even if they trade him he doesn't have to stay with that team. He's ultimately going to go where wants to go anyways, at least the Pacers are getting a heads up about it a year in advance. As a Pacers fan who expected him to leave, I am glad he at least did that much. I am glad the Pacers are not going to be blindsighted by this like OKC was with Kevin Durant.

I'm honestly not mad at him, he made the Pacers competitive for a while. They just fell apart during the playoffs a few years back and then a lot of the players from that team left and they really haven't been the same since. I give him credit for helping them have the record as the best team in the league a few years ago and helping them challenge the Heat for control of the Eastern Conference. And he is from California, so I understand him wanting to go back home. 

***Now I am seeing reports that the Pacers and Cavs are engaging in trade talks for him., which I think makes sense. At least the Pacers can get something for him and he might end up deciding to stay with the Cavs after a year if he thinks they can win a title. At the very least he would get to go farther in the postseason than he's been in a while (maybe ever) with the Cavs.***

Paul George screwed them over with this move.  Not by telling them that he is opting out next year, but by saying he wants to play for the Lakers.  That completely screws up the Pacers chances of trading with other teams and diminishes what they can get for him because most teams know its likely one year at most and the lakers have no incentive to trade anything for him. 

They will now work out a trade and likely get little in return.