Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

I'm so sorry RJ. You are a good Canadian kid who deserves more then the fiery crash that is the New York Knicks. 

Stay strong buddy. This too shall pass. 

He seemed pretty happy, and has been lobbying hard to go there ever since the Lottery was decided. I'm sure he'll be just fine.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering where Zion ends up in four years, after labouring away in a city that would trample him into the dirt just to get a look at Drew Brees or Archie Manning in the distance.

Edited by Danny Franks
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

He seemed pretty happy, and has been lobbying hard to go there ever since the Lottery was decided. I'm sure he'll be just fine.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering where Zion ends up in four years, after labouring away in a city that would trample him into the dirt just to get a look at Drew Brees or Archie Manning in the distance.

I was just making a joke about the Knicks. 

Yeah I know he's pretty happy to go there. Apparently his grandpa was a big Knicks fan and he always dreamed of RJ playing for them. Hopefully it works out for him there. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
(edited)

My expectations for Collin Sexton is very low to begin with & now my expectations for some guy from Vanderbilt  (PG Darius Garland) is absolutely rock bottom. I can't find a good reason to get even remotely excited about him. 

As for RJ Barrett, he is going to need all the luck he can get playing for that dumpster fire of a franchise (Knicks). Even if he became a good NBA player in the future, the Knicks will find a way to mess it up like they always do. Either on or off the court, the Knicks will find a way to mess it up. 

Edited by Magog

Great awards night for the NBA to show it's global side. 

Giannis Antetokounmpo, The Greek Freak (of Nigerian descent) won MVP

Cameroonian Pascal Siakam (also an NBA Champion with the Toronto Raptors) won Most Improved Player

Solvenian Luka Doncic won Rookie of the Year

Frenchman Rudy Gobert won Defensive Player of the Year. 

Very gratifying to see so many international players rising to the top of the NBA, especially after seeing the Raptors capture the ultimate prize and a record 6 Canadians get taken in the draft (and 4 in the first round.)

The game is growing.  

• Love 11
(edited)

According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Kemba Walker plans to be in Boston on Sunday to finalize a 4 year deal $141 million dollar deal with the Celtics. Adrian is also reporting that Kyrie and the Brooklyn Nets are looking to move towards a 4 year deal as well when they meet on Sunday as well.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27083706/sources-walker-celtics-finalize-deal-sunday

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27084045/irving-nets-moving-4-year-deal

Edited by Jx223
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Kemba Walker plans to be in Boston on Sunday to finalize a 4 year deal $141 million dollar deal with the Celtics.

As a Hornets fan, I understand not re-signing Kemba to a huge contract, even though he wanted to be here. This team is loaded with terrible contracts, and going nowhere (besides being a perennial contender for the 8th playoff spot).  It is in desperate need of a tear down and rebuild.

That being said, if your plan is to rebuild, you trade Kemba for something. You don't let him walk away for nothing.  More inept management from the Hornets. 

The NBA returned to Charlotte in 2004.  If fans had known what we would be getting, they might've said, "No thanks". 

(edited)

According to Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter, (as well as other reporters) league sources are saying that Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and DeAndre Jordan will sign with the Brooklyn Nets.

Adrian is reporting that Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving will both sign four year deals. ( He's saying KD will be for  4 years-164 million/ and Kyrie 4-Years 141 million.)

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

According to Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter, (as well as other reporters) league sources are saying that Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and DeAndre Jordan will sign with the Brooklyn Nets.

Adrian is reporting that Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving will both sign four year deals. ( He's saying KD will be for  4 years-164 million/ and Kyrie 4-Years 141 million.)

That is big news on the first night of Free Agency. Stephen A Smith is going to have a meltdown tomorrow about it & I'm going to enjoy every minute of it. His Knicks will be even more worthless than they already are. Its just too bad that he is also a shill & a cheerleader for the Lakers. Hopefully, Kyrie can keep it together while KD is recovering during next season.

I can't imagine how Draymond is feeling right now. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Magog said:

That is big news on the first night of Free Agency. Stephen A Smith is going to have a meltdown tomorrow about it & I'm going to enjoy every minute of it. His Knicks will be even more worthless than they already are. Its just too bad that he is also a shill & a cheerleader for the Lakers. Hopefully, Kyrie can keep it together while KD is recovering during next season.

I can't imagine how Draymond is feeling right now. 

The Nets signing KD and Kyrie is definitely great news for them. Especially since they did a nice job last year and made the playoffs. These signings give them a very optimistic future.

On the other news, this is bad news for the Knicks, who cleared up cap space and was hoping to sign/obtain somebody big. Especially after trading Porzingis. But now it looks like they won't really get anybody big, they missed out on getting Zio, and KD/Kyrie didn't choose them. I don't really see them getting a big acquisition in free agency now. 

NBA free agency season is the most expensive, best game of musical chairs ever. For both the players and the teams.

And I love it. (Even though my Sixers might be left without a chair.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

LOL Knicks. 

OTOH Dolan should get some really great blues songs out of this.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

According to Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter, the Miami Heat are finalizing a sign and trade deal to acquire Jimmy Butler. It was previously reported that Miami was a place that Jimmy was interested in.

• Love 1

As my Warriors' beloved Andre predicted last week: "ain't no one going to the Knicks" LOL!

Of course they may still wind up with Boogie which is too bad because I have grown fond of him this year and was hoping we could figure out a way to keep him (not likely).

In my not so humble opinion, the Nets will not win a chip in the next few years despite signing KD, Kyrie and De'Andre. By the time KD is ready to compete they will all be too old to run effectively against whatever team (like Toronto this year) that assembles a full charging super fast offense and defense.

• Love 3
(edited)

In what world is D’Angelo Russell worth 117 million? Yes they are still stacked despite losing KD but he’s not worth that. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

And suddenly the last domino left is Kawhi. 

There's tons of noise around the Lakers, but I'm not buying any of it just yet. He asked Magic about the Lakers dysfunction and if they even tried to trade for him when he got dealt to the Raps but obviously wanted to go to the Lakers. Some people see that as interest, I see that as wariness. Will you take care of me once I'm here? Did you even want me enough to give up something last year? Kawhi doesn't want to get stuck in a problem like he was in San Antonio. 

He knows what he's got in Toronto, so there's no need to ask a lot of questions of Masai and Co. 

Come back North my friend, we wanted you, we took care of you. We still want you, we'll still take care of you. 

Come back North. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I think if he was going to return to Toronto it would have been a quick announcement. My guess is the Clippers though. 

ETA I also find all the public begging in Toronto embarrassing. If he doesn't want to be here after experiencing the year then go. Begging is not going to change it. Not really directed at you @Maximum Taco just the public angst and begging. 

Edited by cleo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
49 minutes ago, cleo said:

I think if he was going to return to Toronto it would have been a quick announcement. My guess is the Clippers though. 

ETA I also find all the public begging in Toronto embarrassing. If he doesn't want to be here after experiencing the year then go. Begging is not going to change it. Not really directed at you @Maximum Taco just the public angst and begging. 

I'm not as convinced. If he had been in Toronto for a long time, I'd expect a quick decision, but he hasn't. I mean if I was Kawhi, I'd probably be thinking about having it all. "Can the Lakers/Clippers offer me everything Toronto has (a chance to compete, a commitment to my health, a world class FO staff) and also give me a chance to live in California?" and these meetings are him exploring that.

He asks the Lakers about their recent struggles: Can they can clear up the drama and get back to basketball? Will they make his health as much a priority as the Raptors have? If they did want him, why weren't they the ones who traded for him last year?

I can only imagine he's asking the Clippers similar questions about health and why they didn't get him last year but also questions like: How do they expect to contend with LeBron and AD? Butler and Durant were clearly targets that they missed out on, how do they intend to spend that extra cap space now? Can they afford to load manage when they are trying to compete with the Lakers not only in basketball but also in an effort to grab more of the LA market?  

I think it's still possible, even likely, that he goes out there and decides that, no, they can't offer what Toronto has, and re-signs with the Raptors. Or maybe he goes out there and decides that Toronto still has the better situation next year, and signs a 1+1 which would give him the opportunity to run it back with the same squad that just won the Championship and then try it with LA after Toronto loses a lot of its guys (Gasol, Ibaka, and maybe even Lowry are poised to exit next off season.)

As to the thirstiness of the Toronto fanbase I think the signs at the parade saying "Stay" and the "One/Five More Years" chants at the parade and the trending hashtags are just fine. I think any fans would do that. That's just the fans showing appreciation. 

I am a little embarrassed by the free food, free drinks, free multi million penthouse apartment in the downtown core, free trips to Barbados, etc. That's a little overboard, and comes off as pretty desperate. 

I also think Toronto needs to just chill, I post online, but I'm 99.9999% sure that Kawhi isn't spending his time on Primetimer reading my comments (but if you are out there Kawhi: Hi buddy! Thanks for the Chip!) Bothering him on the street isn't gonna be my bag. Don't get me wrong if I saw him at cactus club or home depot I'd probably whip out my phone to try and grab a candid shot, I might ask him for a selfie if he didn't seem busy (I've never really been shy about that kind of thing.) But screaming at him to stay or even asking that when he's trying to go about his business is a jerkbag move.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

As to the thirstiness of the Toronto fanbase I think the signs at the parade saying "Stay" and the "One/Five More Years" chants at the parade and the trending hashtags are just fine. I think any fans would do that. That's just the fans showing appreciation. 

Philly fans took out a billboard telling LeBron he should come here. So yeah, fans get thirsty. LOL

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

The longer Kawhi takes, the funnier the jokes get about how he is going to make the announcement.  So far the winner is AIM.

What's AIM? And maybe Kawhi will have a Decision Special. JK. I think every one has learned form LeBron. And that doesn't seem like Kawhi's personality anyway. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, topanga said:

What's AIM? 

AOL Instant Messanger ?  Is that even a thing anymore ? I know it's a joke but I'm curious if AIM exists anymore. (Also of its not that I have definitely just aged myself ) 

• LOL 4
(edited)

Since DeMarcus Cousins is not getting any offers at this moment & he (thankfully) failed at getting a ring for those Warriors, he might as well beg & plead for those Lakers to sign him. That way, he will get another chance to get himself a ring & (hopefully) fail again. 

Besides, with Kwahi possibly going to the Lakers (ESPN is most certainly hoping for that to happen (especially Laker "fan" Stephen A Smith)), a lot of people are basically giving the Lakers the NBA Trophy next season if Kwahi goes there. DeMarcus & Carmelo might as well tag along for the ride. 

Kawhi should stay in Toronto. I wouldn’t hate it if he went to the Clippers. But I’d put money on him going to the Lakers. I don’t get the allure, but it’s there. 

1. Its the Lakers.

2. He is from the area (His house is in Rancho Santa Fe.)

3. ESPN will be rooting for Kwahi & the Lakers next season and beyond instead of rooting against Kwahi like they did last season.

4. Stephen A Smith will actually have something to get excited about & can stop thinking about the not worth a damn Knicks.

5. SHOWTIME is back. 

6. LeBron will finally get the help he needs since he basically making all of this happen. There is no way in hell that Rob Pelinka, Linda Rambis, & Jeannie Buss would of been able to convince Anthony Davis & Kwahi Leonard to come play for the Lakers.

Edited by Magog

If Kawhi goes to the Lakers, he will have lost all the respect of fans from all the other NBA clubs that he so rightfully won playing this year for the Raptors. I would rather see him with the Clippers if he wants to be in L.A. for some reason. There is no way that the LeBrons are going to mesh successfully or be anything other than a dumpster fire with a LeBron, the uniBrow and pretty much that's it. (Boogie would not make a difference as we saw this year on the Warriors team.) Kawhi is an alpha dog and should stay with the Raptors (or at a distant second, go to the Clips). I'm hoping L.A. doesn't even make the playoffs AGAIN!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 7/2/2019 at 11:38 AM, Maximum Taco said:

Even the players are doing that.  Kyle Lowry instigated the 5 year chant and Serge Ibaka is posting thirst tweets for Kawhi all the time.  I love it.  I think it's hilarious.  Toronto/Canada is going nuts and I think it's so funny.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Even the players are doing that.  Kyle Lowry instigated the 5 year chant and Serge Ibaka is posting thirst tweets for Kawhi all the time.  I love it.  I think it's hilarious.  Toronto/Canada is going nuts and I think it's so funny.

Is Kawhi still weighing his friggin' options? Why is he waiting to announce his plans?

• Love 2

Sarah D. Bunting and Mark Blankenship's music podcast did an episode about all the songs that had the title "Stay".  Toronto radio stations should rotate all those six songs endlessly until Kawhi finally makes his decision. Maybe mix in a few songs with the title "Don't Go" or "Don't Leave Me"...  and Tom Petty's "The Waiting (is the Hardest Part)". 

• LOL 2

One thing's for sure, I no longer believe he doesn't like drama. Also I'm getting to the point where I no longer care. Masai is staying and that makes me happy.

Yep I am crabby and old at heart 😁 

• Love 1

I’m not mad at Kawhi in any way.  Free agency technically opens tomorrow, so if he doesn’t want to announce anything before then that’s his prerogative.  The media’s thirsty ass needs to get off his jock.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm sick of hearing about Kawhi.  Just go somewhere dammit.

53 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’m not mad at Kawhi in any way.  Free agency technically opens tomorrow, so if he doesn’t want to announce anything before then that’s his prerogative.  The media’s thirsty ass needs to get off his jock.

Kawhi is the popular kid in school, and we’re all waiting to see whom he’s doing to ask to Prom. Some of us anyway. 🙂

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I"m not mad at him.  Sure, the media is to blame but my point is I'm just sick of hearing about him.  Lebron 2.0.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I"m not mad at him.  Sure, the media is to blame but my point is I'm just sick of hearing about him.  Lebron 2.0.

It’s weird, because really I should be right there with you.  It’s part of why I have loathed LeBron since he was in high school, but for some reason, I think because Kawhi is giving NOTHING, I just like the guy.

Also, I really am an asshole for not liking a high school kid.

• LOL 1
(edited)

Damn, the Thunder will get 4 unprotected draft picks and one protected draft pick. Pretty sure George isn't worth that 

Edited by Court
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was somewhat certain thar Kwahi was heading for the Lakers. ESPN was hoping that it would happen. 

I am shocked that he is going to the Clippers & Paul George is going to join him. I didn't see Paul George going to the Clippers coming. Now, LeBron & Anthony Davis will really have some competition in the Western Conference. DeMarcus Cousins & Carmelo Anthony are still available.

It sucks for the Raptors, though. I was kind of hoping that he would stay with the Raptors.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2

Kawhi to the Clippers is the weirdest timeline, but I'm here for it.

I'm hoping the next few years are full of reports like "Lebron was having dinner at so and so high end restaurant when Kawhi rolls in. It got awkward."

Someone online said "Why does it feel like OKC is going to send Westbrook to the Knicks?" and suddenly I want nothing more than that.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Magog said:

I was somewhat certain thar Kwahi was heading for the Lakers. ESPN was hoping that it would happen. 

I am shocked that he is going to the Clippers & Paul George is going to join him. I didn't see Paul George going to the Clippers coming. Now, LeBron & Anthony Davis will really have some competition in the Western Conference. DeMarcus Cousins & Carmelo Anthony are still available.

It sucks for the Raptors, though. I was kind of hoping that he would stay with the Raptors.

I was hoping he would stay with the Raptors, too. I think they could have went back to the finals next year if he had. But it looks like he always wanted to go to LA and Clippers it is.

I'm a bit surprised by the Paul George stuff. I wonder what will happen with this team now.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
(edited)

Kawhi going to the Clippers is great. The Lakers learn that they don't have a divine right to any players they want (and also, will now have to actually build a team around their two superstars, after most free agents worth anything have already signed deals). The Raptors have to consider that title their sole reward, and that even Drake's creepy presence and adulation can't convince Kawhi to stay in Toronto.

Paul George going there with him makes it even better, because the Lakers were supposedly trying to get him last year too. George clearly doesn't mind being second fiddle to another star, so it should be a good fit.

As for Oklahoma City, I'm not sure how they figure they'll fit Gilgeous-Alexander in with Westbrook. And it wouldn't surprise me if they moved SGA on to another team, just to keep Westbrook happy.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3
(edited)

Welp.  It's done, thank goodness.  Enjoy the Clippers, Kawhi.

I do hope that fucking Drake is somewhere crying in his beer, or whatever the hell he drinks.

Edited by Ohwell
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Court said:

Damn, the Thunder will get 4 unprotected draft picks and one protected draft pick. Pretty sure George isn't worth that 

He's worth it for the Clippers. Kawhi wasn't coming without him. 

Now we know the reason for the delay. 

Edited by Kip Hackman
41 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I do hope that fucking Drake is somewhere crying in his beer, or whatever the hell he drinks.

Eh, he's got "his" title.

So the power center in the West moves from San Francisco to L.A. Those Clipper-Laker games should be verrrry interesting.

(edited)

Wow. In the end Kawhi found a way to

A) Go Home to California

B) Be "the guy" on a team

C) Join a team with the best chance to win a championship. 

They were saying he had to choose between his best chance at winning, and taking a back seat on LeBron's team or joining an inferior team and being their first option and he said "Screw that". Respect man, mad respect.  

I'm not all that surprised in the end (I mean I'm surprised it worked out this way, but I'm not surprised he left Toronto.) and I can't say I'm not disappointed, I was really hoping he'd stay in Toronto with my Raptors, and it really seemed possible (if not especially likely), especially after he flew into Toronto to take his final meeting with Masai.

I'll also say that it is still a pretty satisfying story to have a stranger come to town, change everything and then, as mysteriously as he arrived, he was gone. 

Thanks for the memories Kawhi. No hard feelings here. Good luck in LA. Apple time, Apple time. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 5