Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

You know one thing that I wish Kobe had discussed more following his retirement was his injuries. Bryant suffered from injuries throughout his career and they spanned from the very worst (popped his Achilles tendon) to some chronic injuries (it seemed as if he like many basketball players had a permanently bad ankle that he was always re-spraining). I know it was part of the Kobe legend that he played through his injuries, but I do wish he had spoken more about how to recover from injuries to NBA players who also struggle with injuries. 

I guess I'm biased because 6 months ago a routine run made me tear three ligaments, break a metastarsal, and much more unpleasant stuff. I'm still in PT and in pain. I really wish elite athletes who also struggled with injuries would talk more about their recovery.

That was a very sad, but touching and beautiful tribute that the Lakers gave to Kobe. Especially the part where the cellist was playing and Kobe was talking his own words, about his life, love of basketball and especially his family. He really love all of these things, especially his family and seeing that reflected in the tribute was very sad, but also very touching. I thought that the Lakers organization did a lovely job of honoring him tonight. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 5

I was a fan of Kobe on the court, he was just unreal to watch. I have a hard time reconciling the man on the court, the doting father, the man who secretly did huge amounts of charitable work he never wanted revealed vs. the man who was charged with rape and allowed his attorneys to destroy his accusers' life. I've struggled with that a lot this week. 

At the end of the day, I hope he is at peace, his family somehow finds peace, I hope the other families can find peace, and I hope the woman he settled with all those years ago is okay, as well.

It was hard to watch the tribute during the game tonight, several of the players were just sobbing at points and that started the tears for me. It was just gutting to see the pics and videos of Gianna. She and those other beautiful girls deserved so much more time and life.

• Love 8

Before the game I was thinking that the Trail Blazers would "throw" the game so the fans would have something to cheer for in Kobe's name.  So good for the Trail Blazers, especially Damian Lillard, for playing their butts off and winning because I think that's what Kobe would've wanted.  Mamba Mentality.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 8

I was going to watch the All star game then I read about the format. I'm all for charity but resetting the score every quarter? I won't even get into the fourth quarter. 

It's a shame I wanted to see Nick Nurse coach but I don't think it can be considered a basketball game. 

Edited to correct- bc resetting the clock and the score are not the same thing.

Edited by cleo

This is going to sound awful, but it is time for these Kobe tributes to end. (Minus the All Star game.) 

Not only has everyone in the media had air time to do their personal thought pieces/eulogies, we are now getting thought pieces on other people's thought/pieces eulogies. 

Putting that aside, for all of his fame, for all of his wealth and influence, at the time of his death, Kobe was just a guy with a group of parents who were going to see their kids compete. And that's about as human as it gets.

• Love 11

It hasn't yet been a week since the tragedy, so I don't mind the tributes and eulogies.  Plus, it was a shock to all of us.  However, I suspect that after the Super Bowl (where there'll probably be more tributes) we won't be hearing that much about Kobe anymore.  The talk will be focused on the SB.    

• Love 2

The NBA trade deadline is today and now it's about to end in a few minutes, lol. But some major trades have been made including Andre Drummond being traded to the Cavs and D'Angelo Russell being traded to the T-Wolves. The Warriors also acquired Andrew Wiggins the trade.

I am interested in seeing how these moves shake out, I Think that D'Angelo has been having a nice season. And has shown a nice amount of growth in the past couple of years. I wonder how he will fit in with KAT and the rest of the T-Wolves.

The Knicks have also agreed in principle to trade Marcus Morris to the Clippers.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

But some major trades have been made including Andre Drummond being traded to the Cavs

Meh... That's nice.

D'Angelo Russell being traded to the T-Wolves. The Warriors also acquired Andrew Wiggins the trade.

I am interested in seeing how these moves shake out, I Think that D'Angelo has been having a nice season. And has shown a nice amount of growth in the past couple of years. I wonder how he will fit in with KAT and the rest of the T-Wolves.

I don't think it matters. The Timberwolves suck. I also feel sad that Andrew Wiggins is going to the Dark Side (those Warriors). I always want him to do well in the NBA. Now, I have to root against him & that makes me sad.

The Knicks have also agreed in principle to trade Marcus Morris to the Clippers.

What team does his brother play anyway? I find both of them very annoying & there is nothing special about either of them. BTW, the Clippers also get another loser (IT aka Isiah Thomas), the Wizards get Jerome Robinson, and the Knicks get Moe Harkless & a 2020 1st round draft pick from the Clippers.

Edited by Magog
28 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Watching Giannis make his All-Star picks is KILLING ME.  He is way too nice.  

He could have had Dame if he had taken him first because LeBron was not taking Khris Middleton.

Sounds like what he did last year. As a result, Team LeBron was loaded, and Team Giannis got killed.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the dunk contest during tonight's All Star skills competition. Both Aaron Gordon and Derek Jones had great dunks. But I do feel like Aaron Gordon should have won it, making this IMO the second time he should have won a dunk contest. (The first being the 2016 dunk contest). I thought his windmill dunk was very impressive. I think he's had some of the best dunks that have been done since Vince Carter.

• Love 1

It should have been tied so there is no controversy. He clipped Tacko’s head (I preferred the other Buck player dunking over Giannis because he didn’t touch him and hit the backboard first) so I can see why he didn’t get a perfect 50 for it. Apparently the judges decided to award the same score so it was a tie but then D Wade changed his vote so his ex teammate would win. Who knows.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:01 PM, Jx223 said:

I enjoyed the dunk contest during tonight's All Star skills competition. Both Aaron Gordon and Derek Jones had great dunks. But I do feel like Aaron Gordon should have won it, making this IMO the second time he should have won a dunk contest. (The first being the 2016 dunk contest). I thought his windmill dunk was very impressive. I think he's had some of the best dunks that have been done since Vince Carter.

None of those dunks, impressive that they are, are close to being on the level of Vince Carter in 2000. I wouldn't have a problem with it ending in a tie. Aaron Gordon & Derek Jones really put on a show. Both of them didn't irritate me like "Stuporman" (Dwight Howard) did. His presence in the Dunk Contest annoys me & he is already annoying enough as it is. I'll root for Steph Curry before I'll ever root for Dwight Howard. 

As for the ALL Star Game, The first 3 quarters of the All Star Game was nap-inducing. I had more fun watching the Rising Stars Game on Friday Night than that. At least Zion Williamson was in that game. The Halftime Show was very meh & DJ Khlaed absolutely sucked like he always does. But, that 4th Quarter format was fun to watch. It was just too bad that Anthony Davis made the winning free throw instead of LeBron James. BTW, Kwahli Leonard deserved that MVP. 

BTW, next years All Star Game will be in Indianapolis. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

According to Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter, the Lakers are waiving Boogie Cousins. They have just decided to sign Markeiff Morris and needed to free up a spot for him. 

I wonder where Boogie may end up playing next. Frank Vogel said recently that he could be ready come playoff time. Maybe he can find his way on to another team that is bound for the playoffs. 

Edited by Jx223

I liked Kobe Bryant, but ESPN's incessant coverage of his death is making me sick.  This morning, they actually ran a story about how Elle Duncan's Kobe Bryant story led the term "girldad" to trend on social media.  So ESPN's main takeaway from this tragedy is that the network somehow made Kobe Bryant's death bigger on Facebook and Instagram and taught people that daughters are good.  What a self serving, masturbatory bunch of garbage.  Fuck you, ESPN.

• Love 6

I watched most of the memorial service and cried a bunch, I just wish the camera would not have panned across the audience like grief vampires trying to catch someone crying.

Especially Vanessa.  She is mourning her DAUGHTER.  We don’t need to see her maintaining her composure when a speaker would mention GiGi.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Who the fuck cares where LeBron was during Kobe’s memorial?  He plays for the Lakers, he’s not *a* Laker IMO.  Stop making this about LeBron, media.

Le Bron already gave a eulogy for Kobe at the first game after his death, there was no reason for him to be featured prominently at the memorial service, especially when so many other former team mates of Kobe's were there and spoke.

Of course, I think a 3 hour memorial service attended by 20,000 and nationally televised is perhaps just a bit much myself.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Who the fuck cares where LeBron was during Kobe’s memorial?  He plays for the Lakers, he’s not *a* Laker IMO.  Stop making this about LeBron, media.

I'm certain that he was watching the memorial at home like the rest of us. I didn't even realize that he wasn't there. 

Besides, what would ESPN & FS1 talk about on a daily basis in the NBA if it wasn't for LeBron? Everytime LeBron tweets something & put something on Instagram, its newsworthy on ESPN & FS1. 

As for LeBron, he scored his usual 40 points in beating up the Pelicans 118-109 last night. Zion Williamson scored 29 points in the loss. I thought Zion did OK. He is on his way to bring a star in the NBA & he will get better. I will be rooting for him to succeed. At least, he won't be an irritating nuisance like Mr. Happy Go Lucky is (Stephen Curry).

BTW, he is coming back on Sunday. I'm surprised that ESPN didn't find a way to put that game on their network, so they can start gushing & rooting for him and those Warriors again.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2

In February 1999 I was spending 50% of my time running after a sixteen month old, 40% in AOL chat rooms and 10% playing D&D/Magic the Gathering (it took awhile to get the whole mom thing down) so wasn’t paying much attention to sports.  I was surprised to find out today that Vince Carter’s first game was February 5, 1999.  I guess I always assumed he started his career at the beginning of the season.

I have no idea why I thought that.

• Love 2
(edited)

Bucks - Lakers played again last night & the Lakers won 113-103. The first time they met, the Bucks won in a blowout & it meant nothing. Last night, it still meant nothing, even though the Lakers clinched a playoff spot with the win (yay "eyeroll"). Even with LeBron, It was very difficult for me to get even remotely excited for this game.

The West will probably be Lakers 1, Clippers 2, & the rest of the teams can get lost & stay lost. The Western Conference playoffs are going to suck & ESPN (especially SAS) are on the Lakers bandwagon. They want them in the Finals by any means necessary. 

The 76ers (who really suck on the road) & those Warriors are playing tonight & it will be on ABC. I know that ESPN will be very excited seeing their "golden boy" back in action again. The 76ers are going to get their sorry butts kicked tonight & I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Happy Go Lucky hits a half-court shot.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
On 3/7/2020 at 10:20 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Curry has the flu. 

Awwww........ That's too bad.

What is not bad is seeing the 76ers finding another way to lose on the road by losing to those Warriors (118-114) over the weekend. Joel Embiid & Ben Simmons are flat out garbage, overrated, & will never win a championship. The 76ers are dead man walking. Those 2 losers & that team might as well start going fishing. 

Frankly, I can't wait for the Raptors - Bucks Eastern Conference Finals rematch. 3-8 in that conference (especially the revolting Celtics) have no chance.

The Lakers finally beat the Clippers 112-103. It was actually a fun game to watch (because of LeBron) & it also shows why the first 2 rounds of the Western Conference Playoffs are going to be a snoozefest.

• LOL 1
(edited)

You're aware that both Embiid and Simmons were out with injuries. They contributed nothing to the Sixers' loss. The Warriors, OTOH, are a walking MASH unit. Half their team is on two-ways or 10 Days.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

You're aware that both Embiid and Simmons were out with injuries. They contributed nothing to the Sixers' loss. The Warriors, OTOH, are a walking MASH unit. Half their team is on two-ways or 10 Days.

As was Josh Richardson (he's in the concussion protocol) .  Listen I'm not going lie they suck on the road and they really good at home at thats not going to be a good recipe for going far in the playoffs but at this point it might be time for a coaching change instead of writing off Embid and Simmons. Maybe Jay Wright wants to go to the NBA he wouldn't even have to move. 

Also they are still playoff bound. There is something like 18 games left and the majority of them are at home where they have lost 2 games. 

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2

According to Shams Charania on Twitter, Rudy Gobert has reportedly tested positive for the Coronavirus. Just a few days ago Rudy put his hands over reporter's microphones and over an area after he spoke to the media. The Thunder/Jazz game was postponed tonight and now there is a report that both teams are being quarantined.

And the NBA has now suspended it's season. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Also if Rudy touching all those mics was two days ago, that’s not how he got it, yeah?  Cuz that’s not a long enough incubation period.

Incubation period is 2-14 days. But yeah, he probably already had it. And spread it.

• Love 2

So Mark Cuban was giving a really thoughtful assessment of the challenges facing the league with the coronavirus. As he did so, this guy walked by.

MKXOY7IMNLULJZT2TJDG2MT3SA.jpg

I laughed. Because right now, I'll take them were I can get them.

• Love 9

The Pelicans game was supposed to start at 10:30 and my friend was at the arena in Sacramento and she just IM’d me that they cancelled the game and sent everyone home.  We had been joking that the NBA announced the suspension was going to start after tonight’s games because ESPN was airing Kings/Pels.

10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Pelicans game was supposed to start at 10:30 and my friend was at the arena in Sacramento and she just IM’d me that they cancelled the game and sent everyone home.  We had been joking that the NBA announced the suspension was going to start after tonight’s games because ESPN was airing Kings/Pels.

ESPN was there. I heard the PA announcement to the for that the game was canceled. There was audible booing.