Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Wreckage

A FAMILY BOUND BY MORE THAN BLOOD IN THE THIRD SEASON PREMIERE OF "THE FOSTERS," AIRING MONDAY, JUNE 8 AT 8:00PM ET/PT ON ABC FAMILY

Burbank, CA (May 11, 2015) - The Adams Foster family attempts to rebuild after a serious car accident, in the third season premiere of "The Fosters," airing Monday, June 8, 2015 at 8:00PM ET/PT on ABC Family.

"The Fosters" picks up during summer, a few weeks after the terrible car accident involving Mariana, Jesus and their pregnant biological mother, Ana. As the family deals with the aftermath of the situation, Stef is determined to find the driver responsible for the crash. Callie continues to volunteer at the drop-in center where she meets AJ, a foster teen runaway searching for his older brother. Brandon starts at the Idyllwild Music Program and quickly realizes that he will be faced with serious competition. Meanwhile, Jude tells Connor he prefers to keep their relationship private at school.

"Wreckage" was written by Bradley Bredeweg & Peter Paige and directed by Peter Paige.

Damn you writers for faking me out with the "I miss Jesus line" Gah, and I fell for it!   I feel bad for saying it but I was a little surprised they didn't kill someone off. But ultimately, I am fine that everyone was ok. It was good that they had Jesus where he was(was it a wrestling academy or something like that? I forget. And thankfully Anna kept the baby.  Was she the one on the stretcher?

• Love 1

I wasn't totally surprised that the 'one fatality' was a fake out. I was fairly certain no one important was going to die. But, I did think that the baby was going to be dead so that did surprise me. Overall, it was an alright episode.

Stef is annoying me again with her usual bull headed schemes. When is she going to get fired? She consistently has made poor decisions in favour of her own emotional turmoil and I am sick of it. Lena needs to tell Stef what went down with that Principal whose name I can't recall right now. Honestly, I'm not even sure I ship these two any more. They're riddled with so many issues and don't seem to be helping each other in the least. 

Jude and Connor were believably middle school. Jude is being unclear about what exactly he desires whilst Connor is scared that Jude doesn't like him. Totally middle school and I love it. Bring on all the cute early relationship angst. I feed on it. I am completely over Taylor. Outing someone can have such horrible ramifications. Doesn't matter that she was doing what she thought was right or was 'helping'. I hope Jude puts her on blast for that just so she understands how badly she messed up.

Mariana was all over the place. Idk what they plan on doing with her. She just seemed really wrong-footed? I'm guessing we're going to expand on that more. Maybe it's Jesus being gone. Or the Anna/baby situation. But, right now this feels really meh. And sleeping with Wyatt was totally out of nowhere. Really stupid also in my opinion. Mostly I'm upset that her and her little boyfriend are now probably over. They were really cute. And there are better ways they could have had them break up instead of the played out cheating route. Also I'm sad that Mariana is now going to regret her first time. She was so happy going into it. I'm sad she's going to think badly of the experience.

I feel for Callie, but she deserved to be fired. Really stupid stunt she pulled. She of all people should know how desperate a foster kid can get and what they can be capable of with all that anger hidden just beneath the surface. Obviously, she was blind to it because she probably saw herself in him, but she should have used more common sense than emotion before making the decision. 

Brandon was being a baby. 

• Love 1
I am completely over Taylor. Outing someone can have such horrible ramifications. Doesn't matter that she was doing what she thought was right or was 'helping'. I hope Jude puts her on blast for that just so she understands how badly she messed up.

Yeah, not cool Taylor, not cool.

So how fast are we thinking the foster kid Callie met will soon be living with Lena and Stef?

• Love 3

Can't they ever just leave Callie alone? Just for maybe two episodes? Yes, she made a really really bad judgment call, and she seriously deserved to be fired, but seriously. Can't they give the poor kid an episode without any drama?

So much for the one fatality, I should have known that was a fake out. Glad they sent Jesus to whatever school program he's at. I felt for Mariana in this one. I know she was just trying to help out Ana, and even though she went overboard, I totally get why she was feeling rejected. I really like her and her boyfriend together, so I'm hoping her sleeping with Wyatt won't end them. That was such a bad decision, but I get why it happened because of her emotional state and where her head was at.

So happy that Brandon sucked it up and went back. Loved Lou calling him out on giving up.

Jude and Connor were so great, I just wanted to hug them both. Everything they're both going through with the newness of their relationship rang so true. Well done, show.

Lastly, I can't help it. I feel like the worst fan in the world, but I still really like Monty. Kiss or not, she makes me smile.

Stef needs to be brought down a couple of pegs. She needs to quit making unilateral decisions and stop using her job to heal her emotional wounds. Lena needs to confess the kiss and stand up for herself. There's no way she's been letting Stef bulldoze her for all the years they've been together. Surely she knows how to get her thoughts across by now. Make her hear you, woman!!

Yeah, not cool Taylor, not cool.

So how fast are we thinking the foster kid Callie met will soon be living with Lena and Stef?

Knowing them like 5 minutes. I'd say next episode Callie is going to be dealing more with the whole Father's Day stuff so we won't have time for an A.J. plot. Maybe she'll see him and confront him or something, but I don't think much more than that will happen. And then by episode 3 him moving in will come up. That dinner from the promo will probably happen then too. 

My problem now though, is that I'm worried about Callie's whole 'I'm not going to let you hurt my family' biz. I get she's upset and she does have every right to be, but now A.J. seems really sympathetic as a character. All he wants is his brother. I hope Callie doesn't let her anger and betrayal get the best of her and ruin what might actually be good for him. She made some really bad decisions in her day too. 

(edited)

Is Jude trans, and that's why he doesn't want to be thought of as gay? I didn't really buy the thing about not wanting to be labeled. He's been bold and put himself out there before, and he didn't want to be in a secret relationship before, so...?

I don't care about teens "cheating"; I think it's way too young to make a marriage-like commitment, so whatever on Mariana's bf drama. I get that Wyatt being Callie's ex is kind of a problem, but even that-- I just don't care. I don't see those relationships as being the sort where that makes it a betrayal. I didn't get that they might be implying date rape. I thought she was just feeling worried about Callie or Matt being upset. Or maybe she thought "losing her virginity" was going to be some epic wonder, but I really hope the show isn't actually promoting that kind of script.

I did feel for Mariana with Ana. I think she thought she and Ana would finally bond and she expected Ana to finally be ready to be like another almost-mom to her, but Ana has moved on and let go of her and Jesus. I got how it must look to Mariana like if Ana can bond with Isabella, she doesn't understand why Ana isn't warmer to Mariana, too.

Brandon is Brandon. Boo hoo, baby boy. I love how at Autostraddle they always talk about the kids more or less like this: "Mariana does something foolish and/or amazing, Jude and Connor are SQUEEEEEE, Callie's life is almost destroyed by another massive catastrophe, and Brandon sells a ball." So this week I guess what I'll say about Brandon is: His life is ruined because someone noticed he has a rare talent he didn't even know he had, everyone tells him it's even more special than the one he thought he had, and he's really depressed about it.

Stef having flashbacks seemed reasonable to me. And she did reach out to Lena about it. I thought that was good of her.

Lena seems to have feelings for Monty more than Monty for Lena? Boo hiss. I don't want her to be sexually harassed by her boss, but I don't want her to give up on Stef without even trying, either. For her to have an affair to me seems really lazy and out of character. So I hope that's not where it's going. Stef may be a little rough around the edges. but I don't see her actually bullying Lena or shutting her out this episode. I see Lena just folding and withdrawing and at the moment Lena's the one who's keeping secrets and not communicating.

I wonder how long they keep up the "Jesus is on the phone" ruse.

Edited because I missed answers that were given upthread while I was typing. Also, I forgot to say: Callie still doesn't trust that she can go to the adults in her family when she needs help. I get it, I feel for her, but I hope someday she can do that and not be disappointed. I liked A.J. but he really did blow it and betray her trust. I wonder whether he was telling her the truth, and if so, then what happened to his brother.

Edited by possibilities

So they had Callie being a "regular teenager" for five minutes before they created more drama for her, and once again a story line entirely separate from everyone in the family.  Ridiculous. 

Marianna, your bf had the right idea..."not like THIS." 

• Love 1
(edited)

Brandon still sucks! Every single scene he is in has some sort of complaining or whining going on. Dude, are you ever satisfied with anything? Callie's never ending excessive drama is getting ridiculous. She can't catch a break.

That mentor/boss at the Foster care center is such a terrible actor. I cringed at his acting in those final 30 seconds of the episode. Overall, this was dissapointing and boring season premiere. Jonner is the only reason I'm still hanging in there.

Every other character has lost their appeal or are becoming very unlikable.

Edited by NickDisnCart

I'm so over Stef constantly abusing her power to go after people. She shouldn't still have Mike as a partner. She shouldn't be intimidating people with her badge. She should almost definitely have been fired by now. Her abuse of power makes the character almost entirely unsympathetic to me.

I'm so sad about Mariana and Wyatt. I loved Mariana with Matt. He is way more patient with her than anyone should be. Plus, this is going to drive a wedge between Callie and Mariana. I love their relationship, so I really don't want to see more drama created there.

I thought Jude not wanting to put a label on things was very authentic for his age. He's still trying to figure out exactly who he is, so he doesn't want to jump right into this predetermined box. Connor's worry was also totally authentic. I love that relationship so much.

• Love 1

First off, I apologize, I can't seem to figure out how to say who I'm quoting when I quote a comment.

Jeez, can Callie catch a break. Ever?

No, never!... it's the law!  :)

Well, I guess that explains why she's been to juvie so many times! Wait... no... that doesn't work... she'd need to catch breaks first. :P

I did feel for Mariana with Ana. I think she thought she and Ana would finally bond and she expected Ana to finally be ready to be like another almost-mom to her, but Ana has moved on and let go of her and Jesus. I got how it must look to Mariana like if Ana can bond with Isabella, she doesn't understand why Ana isn't warmer to Mariana, too.

I... I definitely see why she's feeling rejected and insecure. But whatever's going on with Mariana seems like more than that. I mean, apparently she quit her coding class (!!), wiped out anything else she might have been doing all summer, and hasn't even been seeing her boyfriend the week before he leaves, to devote ALL her time to her mother and baby sister when it doesn't look like anyone asked her to. That's weird and unhealthy. Not wanting to help and spending time with them, of course, but abandoning EVERYTHING else in her life to do it? I feel like there must be some other, underlying issue that drove her to act that way in the first place.

Of course, Mariana feeling rejected and unwanted by her mother when Matt turned down sex with her (for extremely valid reasons) made her react much more poorly to that then she otherwise might. Twice unwanted in the period of a few hours... that does make it a little more plausible that she would decide to sleep with Wyatt, needing to feel like SOMEONE wanted her. She's definitely going to regret it though and that's sad.

So this week I guess what I'll say about Brandon is: His life is ruined because someone noticed he has a rare talent he didn't even know he had, everyone tells him it's even more special than the one he thought he had, and he's really depressed about it.

HAH! This. Absolutely, precisely THIS. Very well said. He really is the Special Snowflake of this show, isn't he? Gah. His problems are like the opposite of problems.

I thought Jude not wanting to put a label on things was very authentic for his age. He's still trying to figure out exactly who he is, so he doesn't want to jump right into this predetermined box. Connor's worry was also totally authentic. I love that relationship so much.

I love them too. :) My feelings about that particularly storyline are a little weird though. I mean, I buy that Jude, at his age, wouldn't want to rush to label himself and would want to take some more time to figure everything out before everyone has him down as one thing. I also buy that Connor, having actually done what had before seemed impossible and CAME OUT TO HIS FATHER, would want to tell everyone. He was living in fear of this truth being discovered for so long, and now he doesn't have to be afraid anymore. I completely believe that Connor would want to finally be completely free from hiding.

But, despite the fact that it makes sense, while I was watching the storyline play out, it just felt like they wrote it that way just for the sake of having the opinions be opposite of what we'd expect. For some reason, I kept imagining they said, "Oh, you'd think Jude would want to be out and Connor wouldn't, so let's do the opposite," and it felt ham-handed.

I don't know. I'm probably just crazy. :P

• Love 4

I didn't think the one fatality would be a main character but as far as I can tell there weren't any fatalities.   I wasn't expecting the one fatality to be a lie.   Thought it would be the other driver or a passenger in that car.  

I don't think they are going there with Jude being trans.  I was all about that when we first met Jude but now they have done a trans story and the show on after it is transcentric so I don't fee that is how they are going with Jude now.   I think it was a missed opportunity but I can't see them going back to it now.  Love Connor and Jude.

I'm actually okay with M and Wyatt, assuming it wasn't a drunk-date rape story.    

• Love 1

Marianna asking Wyatt about his hair care regime was the best. Hee! But ugh, I really wish they hadn't gone with the drunken first-time sex route for her. I mean it's realistic (sort of) but it made me sad. And I'm bummed about what this will do to Marianna and Callie's relationship as sisters.

Why won't this effin' show ever give Callie a break?! They're relentless in screwing up her life. Now she's not going to graduate and that will delay her adoption? F. U. show!

• Love 1

Oh, Mariana. You were doing so well. You'd become the wisest of the Foster-Adams kids (Well, aside from Judicorn, of course). Then, one glance of Wyatt's hair dancing in the moonlight and you're right back in the pack.

I was hoping to see more of Mariana and Jesus' Grandparents.

• Love 4

Not happy that Mariana quit her coding class and apparently unilaterally decided to become the overpowering and hovering mother's helper to her birth mother. I am happy that Ana did not die and can continue to bond with Mariana. Loved seeing Mariana and Callie's deepening sister relationship -- which will likely be negatively impacted by the Mariana/Wyatt hook up. Did not see that coming.

So nice to see Callie happy and working to help others at the foster center -- for about two minutes before her life went to hell again. This had better not just be a ploy to delay her adoption and hold out more time for Brallie. I think that would make me quit the show.

Really liked all of the Stef/Lena interactions -- especially their quiet moments in bed and Stef breaking down in front of Lena at the beach party. Good idea to have Stef be the mom most impacted by the crash. Would like to see them get the Monte issue out of the way quickly. Not thrilled with Stef the Cop; she comes across as too overbearing.

Could care less about Jesus. The big benefit there is that we are free (for now) of his endless girl trouble storylines. Could also care less about Brandon and his composer/pianist issues. It seems that everyone forgot that, until recently, his hand was so damaged that he wasn't able to play any classical music.

Loved Jonnor. Very interesting that Jude doesn't want to be labeled as anything but "Jude" for now.

• Love 2

Damn it, what did Callie DO in a past life? Why does she deserve such pain, show? WHY?!

I binged the hell out of this show, so I`m pumped to actually get to watch live now! I just made it!

Jude and Connor continue to be the cutest cuties who ever cuted. Yeah, I can understand Jude wanting to not be known as "the gay kid". Its also very middle school thinking. I can also see why Connor would be confused. He thought he was doing what Jude wanted, after all. Still, they actually seem to be in a decent place, unlike every other relationship an Adams-Foster kid has. So keep going strong guys!

Oh Marianna. Look at your life, look at your choices. I love Callie and Marianna`s sister bond, and this is going to hurt it, therefore I hate it. Why did they have to go there?

Glad Jesus is just at boarding school, and not dead. I like Jesus, but not his endless girl trouble stories.

So happy to get more show now! 

Its funny this is the second series that has a storyline that involves Alex Saxon sleeping with his ex's sister, Finding Carter the other one

Ha! You're right.  Though I appreciate that this show at least included the fan service of discussing his lovely, lovely hair.

• Love 4

This episode seemed a little thrown together, to me. Not that it wasn't good. It was just... everywhere.

Highlights for me were:

-Callie saying the phone call with Jesus was the longest conversation they've ever had. True. They've never had a scene together that I can recall.

-Stef poking the leak, and the water falling on her. I can relate to that.

-The cute Stef and Lena scene at the party

I really feel for Mariana. She was so exicted about the baby, and Ana didn't seem to want her around. In a way, as much as she loves Bella, it has to be hard for Mariana to see her birth mom embracing this new baby girl when she couldn't do the same for the twins. I think her feeling rejected is why she ended up "pulling a Callie," and making a rash, impulsive decicison at the party.

• Love 1

I wonder why no one stopped Mariana from dropping the coding class. A parental: "you drop the class, you are grounded" would have taken care of that problem. It seems like she is suffering from some post-accident/we all could have died trauma, maybe? But also, she has always had trouble around abandonment issues, and her twin moved out, her boyfriend is leaving (only for 3 weeks, but he admitted he didn't want her to go with them, even if she could find a way to do it), she just had a terrifying accident, and I think she was clinging to the idea of bonding with Ana and Isabella kind of as a substitute for all that other stuff. It seems right up her alley to want to be Ana's BFF/perfect helper and Isabella's surrogate mom/bestest older sister. She's always wanted a new baby in the family, especially a sister, and she was trying to get close to Ana in Season 1, even when Ana was blatantly using her for money for her drug addiction.

I don't understand how Callie's latest catastrophe would delay her adoption. Did they say that it would, or is that just a fear because so far everything else has had that effect? My thinking is that they won't do the adoption til they recast Jesus, because for sure he'd come home for the ceremony.

I don't understand how Callie's latest catastrophe would delay her adoption. Did they say that it would, or is that just a fear because so far everything else has had that effect? My thinking is that they won't do the adoption til they recast Jesus, because for sure he'd come home for the ceremony.

I don't think it would delay her adoption. It's her graduation from high school it would delay.

(edited)

I did appreciate the fan service to Alex Saxon's hair. :-)

deleted because I failed to read 4 posts down to see someone else make the Carter/Taylor - Callie/Mariana point .

Edited by Humbugged

What bugs me is that Callie being behind on credits should have been caught when she transferred in-and it would have been expected that a kid with that much prior instability would have been behind. Similarly, since Jude was behind to start with, it would have made more sense to put him in 6th grade classes, vs 7th, particularly since we've been shown Anchor Beach is a K-12 school (since that was how Stef met Lena when Brandon was going into Kindergarten).

I could kind of understand pushing ahead to graduate on time if Callie were going to age out of the system and be on her own without a hope of finishing high school, but she's in a stable, long-term situation with the Adams-Fosters and has a backup that would also see her through high school (since Robert is willing to pay for college for Callie, I can't imagine he wouldn't be willing to pay for a grade 13 to pick up two remaining credits, plus maybe some dual-enrollment classes or higher level electives. She could even go away to a private school with an official program for that last year and effectively have the same experience as her Anchor Beach classmates, because Robert has the money to make it happen).

I do wish ABC family would just let their lead teen female characters be happy for once. Having binge-watched and caught up on Switched at Birth before The Fosters, I'm starting to feel like Bay and Callie need to get together and form a support group!

• Love 1

Jesus' face was all bloody and mangled when he was being carried on that stretcher, right? Are they going to use that as the reason that his face looks different when the new actor shows up to play him? Like, are the other characters going to mention it?  "Jesus, I can't believe how different you look after all that reconstructive surgery that was done on your face!"  For some reason, this possible scenario is hilarious to me. 

• Love 3

Wasn't the car accident only 3 weeks prior or am I mis-remembering? Anna was in a back brace and the car hit on Jesus's side. How on earth was he able to resume wrestling so quickly. (not to mention Mariana appeared unscathed even though she had no seatbelt on)

Wasn't the car accident only 3 weeks prior or am I mis-remembering? Anna was in a back brace and the car hit on Jesus's side. How on earth was he able to resume wrestling so quickly. (not to mention Mariana appeared unscathed even though she had no seatbelt on)

No, you're correct. I'm thinking the same thing.

Jesus' face was all bloody and mangled when he was being carried on that stretcher, right? Are they going to use that as the reason that his face looks different when the new actor shows up to play him? Like, are the other characters going to mention it?  "Jesus, I can't believe how different you look after all that reconstructive surgery that was done on your face!"  For some reason, this possible scenario is hilarious to me.

I was so hoping that we would get the "big reveal" with the white gauze bandages being slowly removed from Jesus' face - a la a mummy!

• Love 2

So, I'm finally catching up on Netflix. I'm struggling to give a shit about... everything, really, BUT I wanted to mention that I loved the appreciation of Wyatt's flawless hair. I really love this dude´s hair.

Edited by natyxg
  • Love 2