Type keyword(s) to search

One is the Loneliest Number: Unpopular GG Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)

I really really can't stand Rory at the beginning of season 6. The way her friends held the party where everyone dressed as prisoners...and she just laughs it off. I can't imagine even the most jaded kid just laughing off a conviction and community service. And her friends making a joke of it... ugh I think back to when I was a kid, and if that had happened to me or my friends, I think we would have died of embarrassment at the very least. 

And her relationship with Logan makes me want to vomit--sorry for the vividness of my hate. She just mewls after him in a way that just disgusts me. Especially since he does nothing to help her get back on track. 

Edited by Deevee45
Because mews isn't really the same as mewls
  • Love 3
(edited)

The thing that really stands out to me during that time period is that even more unbelievable than Rory partying it off a conviction with a bunch of rich kids was her playing socialite!barbie so impeccably.

I get that Rory was basically trying out another personality because her last one failed her (?) but her becoming the DAR darling stretches my disbilief. The way she seems to pull out leadership skills and hosting skills out of Lord knows where and turn on the fake charm like the best sociopath again and again in season 6... I just!!!

People's social skills change as they age, I get it, mine sure took a turn for the better as I hit my twenties but even if I fanwank Rory figured out some sort of switch in her head where she can just channel Lorelai at the drop of a hat, I still don't buy the ultimate introvert such as her, a girl whose mother throws her a party the first night in college so she can get started on meeting new people and still who goes through college without making a single real friend, would managed to pull off befriending "Lacey" and her many cigarette patches at community service, or becoming chummy with the people at the internship in less than two weeks, or activelly making herself popular with Emily's friends at the DAR.

I don't think it's a coincidence we don't actually see her making those connections. We only see her strutting about, acting entitled, having already earned their love off-screen.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, JaggedLilPill said:

Lorelai likes ranting Luke and even when they were just friends, I think back to "One Has Class and the Other One Dyes," when she finds the Butch picture and he walks away and sits on the bench while she's still poking fun at him, I don't know if it was in the script or not, but you see Luke smiling in spite of it. They don't want to change each other, although I am sure Lorelai wanted Luke to be more communicative after finding out about April, and I think that is extremely important.

She  does exactly the same thing for him in that scene. When he is oversimplifying his work at the diner, she puts on the sweetest smile as she listens to him minimize his efforts as a business owner.  There's true affection there. 

image.jpeg

• Love 2
4 hours ago, junienmomo said:

She  does exactly the same thing for him in that scene. When he is oversimplifying his work at the diner, she puts on the sweetest smile as she listens to him minimize his efforts as a business owner.  There's true affection there. 

image.jpeg

What a nice shot of her.

• Love 1

Rory expected to get her ass kissed by Legan's family. She looked like she was looking forward to similar FND treatment at the Huntzberger dinner. Maybe she wasn't socially awkward but just stuckup after all that "But I'm a Gilmore!"

The thing that really stands out to me during that time period is that even more unbelievable than Rory partying it off a conviction with a bunch of rich kids was her playing socialite!barbie so impeccably.

I thought this was consistent only because Rory has always gotten along better with older adults than her own peers. And among the DAR, she might be forgiven some awkwardness and lack of polish because she's Emily's granddaughter and well, she looks like little birds dress her in the morning. :)  They treat her almost like a doll to dress up in Presenting Lorelai Gilmore, too.  And it might not take much to make your average DAR event more exciting, either - add some music, a theme, and take the salmon puffs off the menu and there you are. 

• Love 2

And it might not take much to make your average DAR event more exciting, either - add some music, a theme, and take the salmon puffs off the menu and there you are. 

I'd agree.  Rory was clearly successful with the party planning, but I don't think anything she did was all that dynamic.  She chose a theme that was relevant, and set up the details.  It's hard work, but it's not like Rory was balancing a multitude of commitments or running a business. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, amensisterfriend said:

Hippielamb, yes, I don't get how the women in his lives are so fine with his passive-aggression, temper, relentless and pointless negativity and lack of basic communication skills, but maybe he occasionally built and fixed things for them to make up for the daily dreariness of actually trying to date him, which seems to be the main thing he has going for him as a partner :)  

Personally, I would pay someone to fix my house just to avoid the constant negativity. But that's my bias. I find all the antagonistic characters on this show to be people I would cut ties with immediately. There's nothing positive I can say about Luke, Jess, or Michel. The nice things they do are supposed to overrule the rude, mean behaviour but it doesn't work for me. I like Paris when she is used as comic relief but she does some unforgivable things to Rory, that make me question why Rory would ever speak to her again, let alone be friends with her. Emily also says and does things to her daughter that make me wonder why Lorelai takes it. Especially after Lorelai admitted way back in season 1 the effect that Emily's words have on her. That's when I have to remind myself this is a tv show and those characters are there to challenge the Gilmore girls.

13 hours ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

I don't have a problem with the prisoners party as I think Rory felt adrift and Logan and his cronies were something she clung to. But socialite!Barbie (lol) was too much. As I recall, Logan never wanted her to be like the other girls in his social circle. He liked that she was smart, and driven to pursue her journalistic dreams. It does show how easy it is to influence Rory. Without Lorelai around, she follows Emily's lead. I haven't watched those early season 6 episodes in a long time. I hope to feel more sympathetic to Rory in the rewatch but I suspect it will be difficult.

• Love 2

It does show how easy it is to influence Rory. Without Lorelai around, she follows Emily's lead. I haven't watched those early season 6 episodes in a long time. I hope to feel more sympathetic to Rory in the rewatch but I suspect it will be difficult.

Very true.  I can see Rory feeling lost and clinging to Emily in the sense that Emily was providing her with structure and focus.  But it also shows how Rory was clearly unable to guide her own path. 

• Love 2

To cuddlingcrowley's point, though, I did roll my eyes at Rory being instantly successful and selling out her first event - like, of *course* Rory is as good at this as she is at journalism. But season 6 didn't really show that, imo; Rory is more a struggling, still slightly awkward girl who happens to have the right family connections to be where she is. It's funny that she doesn't make many journalism connections other than Stamford, the Yale Daily News, and Mitchum Huntzberger....and this is another version of the Harvard/extracurricular activities lesson she was supposed to learn in season 2. Which just points back to the fact that Rory isn't as suited to her chosen career as she hopes. 

• Love 3
On May 9, 2016 at 2:27 PM, CheeseBurgh said:

I really don't want Lorelai and Luke to reunite for many reasons.  I have one really shallow reason; Scott Patterson has not aged well or as gracefully as Lauren Graham. I think they would look even more mismatched than they did years ago.

Lauren Graham is still SO. PRETTY. 

• Love 3
On 6/21/2016 at 6:21 PM, amensisterfriend said:

---As some of you know, my mom is very ill and I'm in desperate need of distraction :) So I thought it might be fun to think of some of our favorite moments/attributes of the least popular characters. For example, Dean is a pretty unpopular character, but I'm sure the fine minds here can come up with some of his good points and best scenes...right?! :) I'd love to hear what people come up with! 

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. ♥ Mine has been in the hospital for two weeks, and had two surgeries (one on her heart, one on her hip) and has another coming up when she's strong enough. She hasn't been home for just over two weeks, and I started watching the Gilmore Girls again on Netflix, in the waiting room, the first week she was in there (and I practically lived there myself).

Season one is also like comfort food to me. That snuggle up on the couch, with a blanket and a hot drink thing - that's why I started to watch it again. I also started watching it with mum, four years ago, because they remind me of the two of us. 

I lost the quote, somehow, but I compared Jess and Lorelai, a few times. They both made similar remarks about certain things (like Rory ordering the Indian food), and had similar attitudes to certain things, although I can't remember them all right now. 

20 hours ago, Anela said:

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. ♥ Mine has been in the hospital for two weeks, and had two surgeries (one on her heart, one on her hip) and has another coming up when she's strong enough. She hasn't been home for just over two weeks, and I started watching the Gilmore Girls again on Netflix, in the waiting room, the first week she was in there (and I practically lived there myself).

Season one is also like comfort food to me. That snuggle up on the couch, with a blanket and a hot drink thing - that's why I started to watch it again. I also started watching it with mum, four years ago, because they remind me of the two of us. 

There's something so comforting about nostalgia. I recently saw a couple of shows from the '90's and felt cozy watching characters I hadn't seen in almost 15 years. Season one of this show always makes me feel warm & safe no matter how many times I see it.  I do hope things improve for your mom. When my father was ill, we spent time watching old films together. 

Anyway, something unpopular to add. I liked Lorelai's house better before the big remodel. It seemed homier in the first few seasons. I don't understand why they had to remodel the house before Luke could move in (which he never did). Maybe it was a stalling tactic until things were fixed with Rory. I still like the original version on the CrapShack better.  

• Love 2

I don't understand why they had to remodel the house before Luke could move in (which he never did). Maybe it was a stalling tactic until things were fixed with Rory. I still like the original version on the CrapShack better.  

Wasn't the idea that he and Lorelai wanted it to be "their" house instead of just Lorelai's house? 

(edited)

Speaking of the Crap Shack - apologies, as I may have posted it here already - but I really despised that for each of the three men Lorelai was going to marry / spend the rest of her life with, she was so damn selfish that she refused to move out of her damn house. It was unfair to them that she never really even considered moving into a new house and starting a life with her new husband in somewhere that would be jointly theirs. When it came up with Max, she acted like she didn't even want him there, and she quickly shot down the idea of buying a new house with Luke and Chris. She's meant to just be alone. Hmph!

Edited by timimouse
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, timimouse said:

Speaking of the Crap Shack - apologies, as I may have posted it here already - but I really despised that for each of the three men Lorelai was going to marry / spend the rest of her life with, she was so damn selfish that she refused to move out of her damn house. It was unfair to them that she never really even considered moving into a new house and starting a life with her new husband in somewhere that would be jointly theirs. When it came up with Max, she acted like she didn't even want him there, and she quickly shot down the idea of buying a new house with Luke and Chris. She's meant to just be alone. Hmph!

Yeah, she lacked maturity in decisions like that.

She wasn't willing to let Max in her life, much less the house. She was so far into denial with Christopher that it was worse for her to stay at the Crap Shack.

For Luke, at least, she wanted to create new traditions, like him being a part of her Halloween festivities. I think the Twickham House thing threw her off, along with the Rory stress, and all of that kept her from being able to think rationally. Paul Anka may have been a replacement for Rory, but his fears and quirks were all manifestations of Lorelai.

• Love 2

I'd agree that she was immature when it came to making decisions as part of a couple.  She wanted to remain in control, and didn't want to cede much to the person who was going to be her husband/partner.  Having said that, I do sympathize with her desire to have the guy move into her home, rather than both of them moving into another place.  Moving sucks! 

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Heck, the Twickham House threw ME off.  First of all , it looked like a mausoleum.  Then the thought of living where Taylor had his creepy talking manikins.  Yuck!

Outside the "I love Jesus!" one said. This was a prime example of Taylor really wasting the town's money on things. Having the Twickham House being the set up. Yes! That is something a Town Selectman would do. However, having him: get traffic cameras with his own men, trying to move the Dragon Fly over, his constant throwing out money for insane ideas. That was not what a Selectman does and the mayor and town treasurer would have stopped him in his tracks. I'm surprise that Stars Hollow had any type of budget year round. I can pass the various town events, because I know people who do that round robin in towns, including my home down, but its a yearly thing that is usually headed by the same people like they did with the Summer Fest, Winter Fest and Easter Egg hunts on the show. Because those are usually ran by the same people until either they die or get too old to run them. Yet, AS-P had it like Taylor was mini Hitler and Kirk was his protege in the making and it was too much in the later seasons. 

• Love 1

The Twickham museum was paid for by Twickham via his donating his house to the town. 

Defibitely agree on the mini Hitler, but I like to think that the people regularly involved in these events, like Patty, knew how to make an event fun in spite of Taylor's overbearing presence.

• Love 1
On 7/10/2016 at 9:28 PM, txhorns79 said:

Wasn't the idea that he and Lorelai wanted it to be "their" house instead of just Lorelai's house? 

I remember she came home and he already had construction guys on the roof which they had not discussed. Better her than me, if someone did that with my house I would be upset. 

On 7/12/2016 at 10:15 PM, timimouse said:

Heh, she was set in her ways about certain things. I understood why Chris wanted her to move, not only did it give everyone their own room but it also would have got her out of Stars Hollow and they could start a new life together. The problem is Lorelai's house is her home, it's where she raised Rory. I totally get her attachment to it. 

I thought the Twickham House was another example of how off things became in her engagement to Luke. It didn't seem to fit either of their personalities and it was huge. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, hippielamb said:

I remember she came home and he already had construction guys on the roof which they had not discussed. Better her than me, if someone did that with my house I would be upset. 

She came home and saw the architect on the roof; she was so funny in this scene. This was after their crazy discussion about laying down tracks, and she ended it by saying they should think about something to do with the house.

Luke brought in the architect to see if they could enlarge the bedroom. They hadn't started any work. He made a beautiful speech acknowledging her wish to keep the house, how the Twickham house was too big, and that the CS would work fine for them, maybe even forever.

It was only later after they'd agreed on plans and were ready to start construction that Liz and TJ screwed up another important part of Luke's life. Anvils for both of them. Seasons 6 and 7 could have been so much fun with them working on their communication problems in a quirky Stars Hollow way. <cutting rant short>

• Love 5
On July 13, 2016 at 8:46 AM, txhorns79 said:

I'd agree that she was immature when it came to making decisions as part of a couple.  She wanted to remain in control, and didn't want to cede much to the person who was going to be her husband/partner.  Having said that, I do sympathize with her desire to have the guy move into her home, rather than both of them moving into another place.  Moving sucks! 

She got pissy when Chris wanted to slightly change/add Christmas traditions once they were married- after he and Gigi delayed celebrating so they could do it on Gilmore Girls time. In stuff that she considered sacred and part of her and Rory's thing, she was obnoxiously controlling.

(edited)
On 6 July 2016 at 5:20 AM, hippielamb said:

I don't have a problem with the prisoners party as I think Rory felt adrift and Logan and his cronies were something she clung to. But socialite!Barbie (lol) was too much. As I recall, Logan never wanted her to be like the other girls in his social circle. He liked that she was smart, and driven to pursue her journalistic dreams. It does show how easy it is to influence Rory. Without Lorelai around, she follows Emily's lead. I haven't watched those early season 6 episodes in a long time. I hope to feel more sympathetic to Rory in the rewatch but I suspect it will be difficult.

I'm with everyone on disliking how Rory suddenly became popular and comfortable with rich socialites. I just didn't get how she could go from reading a book through her first college party and not enjoying the Spring Break experience to going out drinking/partying/clubbing with Logan & co almost nightly. It doesn't feel believable. (I'm also biased because I was similar to Rory at university and totally preferred staying in with a book/movie and small group of friends to going out. So I was annoyed when they got rid of that aspect of Rory's character which imo had been pretty integral to her since S1).

It does suggest she's worryingly easily led, but it would have been nice to at least have her acknowledge that she still doesn't actually like partying and feels uncomfortable around the L&D Brigade lot but goes with it because she wants to fit in. She was spiralling and going through an insecure phase so that would be believable while still keep her as Rory. But of course they had to keep her *in denial* and not thinking anything deeper than table decorations. 

If they wanted Rory to take risks at College and "get out there" it would have felt more authentic for her to fall into a crowd that's "edgy" in a different way: Political groups who hold protests, quirky writer/actor/arty/intellectual types pushing back against the system, people almost like Jess's independent arts scene friends in S6. Those are people who'd push Rory's comfort zone but she'd still enjoy hanging out with. For someone who wants to be an international correspondent she seems to take little interest in current affairs or activism aside from one petition signing stall she did in S4. 

On 6 July 2016 at 7:47 AM, moonb said:

To cuddlingcrowley's point, though, I did roll my eyes at Rory being instantly successful and selling out her first event - like, of *course* Rory is as good at this as she is at journalism. But season 6 didn't really show that, imo; Rory is more a struggling, still slightly awkward girl who happens to have the right family connections to be where she is. It's funny that she doesn't make many journalism connections other than Stamford, the Yale Daily News, and Mitchum Huntzberger....and this is another version of the Harvard/extracurricular activities lesson she was supposed to learn in season 2. Which just points back to the fact that Rory isn't as suited to her chosen career as she hopes. 

I hated that Rory was super successful as a socialite and party organiser as well as her being perfect at everything else in her life. (Her taking charge of the other people doing community service was sickening). This was meant to be her dark, failing period. Let her suck at working for the DAR, be hated by the others serving Community Service because she's sheltered and spoiled, be an outsider with Logan's friends. Let her struggle with all that and realise actually College and nerdy friends is where she belongs. But as usual they couldn't let Rory fail at anything or have anyone dislike the perfect princess. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 8

It REALLY bothers me the way Emily spoke to Luke at the hospital in season 7. I actually done even understand why she was so rude to him. If she didn't want him around, she shouldn't have said anything when Lorelai was telling him there was nothing to do. Instead she jumps up with "yes there's a lot to do" and proceeds to order him about like hired help. She didn't speak to Logan in that manner.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Sadly, this is true.  As much as I love the dance scene, when they pull back so you can see their feet it is, um, distractedly horrible.

Agreed. They must have practiced, because they weren't too spazzy during the vow renewal. 

Lorelai's  opinion that Luke could waltz I'm simply attributing to the sex appeal. 

Edited by junienmomo
Added her opinion
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Qoass said:

Luke can't waltz.

Scott Patterson however can waltz. It always makes me sad that they didn't have them waltz. But it would have been hard for the two of them to dance closer and closer together during actual waltzing. They should have chosen a different kind of dancing to begin with. While the close ups of the dance are nice I have to agree with this...

16 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

As much as I love the dance scene, when they pull back so you can see their feet it is, um, distractedly horrible.

I always stop watching the dance before they go to the wideshot because that totally ruins the magic with it's awefulness.

• Love 2

I always liked Jason and was surprised he seems so hated in the fandom. I never really shipped him and Lorelai; mostly because they had "temporary" stamped all over them, what with being a filler relationship to stall Luke/Lorelai for another season and that Lorelai would never want to be like her parents and fulfill the Emily-style, society girlfriend/wife role in his wealthy, business world.

But Jason himself was funny, one of the few characters who could keep up with Lorelai's wit and amusingly neurotic. And I enjoyed his storyline/dynamic with Richard and Emily. (And I loved his first date with Lorelai when they bailed on the fancy restaurant and ended up eating outside the supermarket, it felt very sweet and quirky). So I'm not sure why he's so unpopular. :/ I hear more fan support/defenses of Chris even though Jason didn't pull half the crappy stuff Chris did. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 6

(Her taking charge of the other people doing community service was sickening). 

When she was hounding the old folks at the nursing home with that baby voice I almost got my rubber brick out to toss at the TV.  It was so over-the-top ridiculous.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

I always liked Jason and was surprised he seems so hated in the fandom. I never really shipped him and Lorelai; mostly because they had "temporary" stamped all over them, what with being a filler relationship to stall Luke/Lorelai for another season and that Lorelai would never want to be like her parents and fulfill the Emily-style, society girlfriend/wife role in his wealthy, business world.

But Jason himself was funny, one of the few characters who could keep up with Lorelai's wit and amusingly neurotic. And I enjoyed his storyline/dynamic with Richard and Emily. (And I loved his first date with Lorelai when they bailed on the fancy restaurant and ended up eating outside the supermarket, it felt very sweet and quirky). So I'm not sure why he's so unpopular. :/ I hear more fan support/defenses of Chris even though Jason didn't pull half the crappy stuff Chris did. 

I'm a huge Jason hater. He's right down there on my list next to Christopher (I cannot decide which I despise more). I think it initially stemmed from their relationship - she only agreed to go out with him when she was upset with her mother and knew it would piss off Emily. And their first date to me showed from the get-go that they were NOT compatible. 

But looking at him deeper, I realised I just didn't like his personality. I found him:
1) Treacherous. He didn't approach Richard with the proposal to go into business together because he wanted to build a name for himself and prove his worth outside of his father's company... he just wanted to stick it to him.
2) Shallow
Lorelai: "Digger, why didn't you call me back?"
Jason: "I would've if I'd known you looked like this now."

3) Inconsiderate & Selfish. Throwing Lorelai out of bed because he's a really light sleeper (get some therapy Digger, seriously). Then later showing up uninvited to the opening of the inn - a night that should've solely been about her accomplishment was tainted by his presence. (and Rory, but that's another story)
4) Arrogant. Unnecessarily tailgating Luke just because he can? -_- And again, showing up at the inn on the opening night and thinking that would work?

And this isn't coming from somebody who is team Luke. I was initially, but after my many re-watches, I think Luke of later seasons was too angry and surly. If they had brought another male character as Lorelai's love interest I would be completely on board but Jason did not do it for me at all. 

Edited by timimouse
  • Love 4

I like Lane, but she worked best as a supporting character. It was a mistake to give her her own storylines after Rory went off to Yale.

The writers had no plan for her character, but with her no longer involved with Rory's storylines, the writers winged it : they just improvised -- she likes music, let's have her join a band! hey, she can fall in love with one of her bandmates! what if we make her pregnant? etc -- and eventually bright, promising Lane winds up, barely out of her teens, already a mother, married to sweet but dim Zack, and working as a waitress in a diner.

Lane needed to be attached to one of the main characters' storylines. If not Rory, then Lorelai. Have her go to work at the inn, interact with Lorelai, Sookie, and Michel, become assistant manager.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, clack said:

I like Lane, but she worked best as a supporting character. It was a mistake to give her her own storylines after Rory went off to Yale.

The writers had no plan for her character, but with her no longer involved with Rory's storylines, the writers winged it : they just improvised -- she likes music, let's have her join a band! hey, she can fall in love with one of her bandmates! what if we make her pregnant? etc -- and eventually bright, promising Lane winds up, barely out of her teens, already a mother, married to sweet but dim Zack, and working as a waitress in a diner.

Lane needed to be attached to one of the main characters' storylines. If not Rory, then Lorelai. Have her go to work at the inn, interact with Lorelai, Sookie, and Michel, become assistant manager.

Great idea about the inn, and a natural follow on to working at lukes. Can you imagine Lane and Michel in a battle? That would have been fabulous. I also wanted Lane to become Selectwoman. A far better choice than Jackson. 

In afterthought it's a little weird that we didn't see Sookie, Lorelai, Rory and Lane doing things together outside of the Bangles. 

• Love 4

And again, showing up at the inn on the opening night and thinking that would work?

That's the thing that really bothered me.  I don't remember much about Jason except how he showed up at the inn acting like he was still Lorelai's boyfriend after she broke up with him.  It was creepy and made him seem like a stalker.  On a darker show, he would have been armed or tried to hurt her.  I would have been calling the police after he just would not leave.  Even if he'd been perfect up until then, that wrecked it.  

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Sweet Tee said:

That's the thing that really bothered me.  I don't remember much about Jason except how he showed up at the inn acting like he was still Lorelai's boyfriend after she broke up with him.  It was creepy and made him seem like a stalker.  On a darker show, he would have been armed or tried to hurt her.  I would have been calling the police after he just would not leave.  Even if he'd been perfect up until then, that wrecked it.  

Heck yes. But the stalkery thing wasn't new at that point, it was Jason's style right from the start - he asked Lorelai out, she said no, so he kept bugging her and bugging her (as in, not acknowledging her refusal at all, just acting like her eventual agreement was a fait accompli) until he eventually wore her down and she agreed. It's a tactic we see over and again on TV, a guy stalking a girl into submission, because obviously she doesn't really mean it when she says no so if he keeps trying his persistence and devotion will eventually be recognised and rewarded, and I think we're meant to see it as romantic, but to me it comes across as all kinds of creepy. She said no, dude - respect her wishes and leave her alone! So Jason turned me off right from the start, and although he does have some cute and funny moments, and Lorelai did seem to enjoy the relationship once it started, I could never like him.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 8

See,I didn't even remember all that.  Ew ew ew.  And you're right.  That is something we see too often on tv and usually the girl is made out to be in the wrong for having the audacity to turn him down.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, junienmomo said:

I also wanted Lane to become Selectwoman. A far better choice than Jackson. 

OMG.  That is quite possibly the best idea I've ever heard.  Can you imagine Mrs. Kim running her electoral campaign?  Priceless.

• Love 5
On Monday, July 04, 2016 at 7:44 PM, JaggedLilPill said:

I think that what makes L/L work is those facets of their personality that others may get tired of, i.e. Luke's ranting and Lorelai's babbling, they find endearing. Lorelai likes ranting Luke and even when they were just friends, I think back to "One Has Class and the Other One Dyes," when she finds the Butch picture and he walks away and sits on the bench while she's still poking fun at him, I don't know if it was in the script or not, but you see Luke smiling in spite of it. They don't want to change each other, although I am sure Lorelai wanted Luke to be more communicative after finding out about April, and I think that is extremely important.

I love Luke building Lorelai the skating rink and telling her that he doesn't want her to hate stuff. And even though Luke misinterpreted it, albeit due to Lorelai's not so great communication skills, I thought it was sweet that Lorelai didn't want Luke to lose the part of himself that enjoyed camping and the woods, etc, just because they were together.

I would have enjoyed more affectionate scenes, but I think the way they were portrayed worked for them. I think you can tell how deeply they care and love each other in the small gestures they make. For example, Luke getting the TV for Lorelai to watch when she stayed over. Or Lorelai buying Luke's dad's boat - even though that was an argument at first - proved that she cared enough about Luke to not let him throw away something that was meaningful to him in a moment of rashness on a day where Luke should not have been making emotional decisions anyway.

More affection would have been nice but do you think maybe it was the brilliance of ASP writing (not including the end of season 6)?  It always kept fans wanting more but their passion was hinted to; Luke joked about forgetting Lorelai's pants on purpose, Lorelai  talking about the "dirty stuff" they do, the Mountie hat, the hot limo ride.  Just a thought, sometimes less is best.

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 10:13 PM, timimouse said:

I'm a huge Jason hater. He's right down there on my list next to Christopher (I cannot decide which I despise more). I think it initially stemmed from their relationship - she only agreed to go out with him when she was upset with her mother and knew it would piss off Emily. And their first date to me showed from the get-go that they were NOT compatible. 

But looking at him deeper, I realised I just didn't like his personality. I found him:
1) Treacherous. He didn't approach Richard with the proposal to go into business together because he wanted to build a name for himself and prove his worth outside of his father's company... he just wanted to stick it to him.
2) Shallow
Lorelai: "Digger, why didn't you call me back?"
Jason: "I would've if I'd known you looked like this now."

3) Inconsiderate & Selfish. Throwing Lorelai out of bed because he's a really light sleeper (get some therapy Digger, seriously). Then later showing up uninvited to the opening of the inn - a night that should've solely been about her accomplishment was tainted by his presence. (and Rory, but that's another story)
4) Arrogant. Unnecessarily tailgating Luke just because he can? -_- And again, showing up at the inn on the opening night and thinking that would work?

And this isn't coming from somebody who is team Luke. I was initially, but after my many re-watches, I think Luke of later seasons was too angry and surly. If they had brought another male character as Lorelai's love interest I would be completely on board but Jason did not do it for me at all. 

Agreed! And the hollow acoustics and cold sterile environment of  Jason's apartment versus Lorelai's warm and slightly messy home.

Edited by FictionLover
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

But Jason himself was funny, one of the few characters who could keep up with Lorelai's wit and amusingly neurotic.

I agree with this. (And your entire post.) I can't see Jason and Lorelai long term, but I did enjoy him. When Chris tried to banter with her, it always felt forced and cheesy, to me. Jason seemed like a true kindred spirit and I thought they had a good report together. 

(I don't know if I can ever forgive him for that white turtleneck, however.)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, JayInChicago said:

I love Lane but I don't really like the band storylines, particularly after Dave left. That probably isn't an UO actually but I'm gonna post it here and you can't stop me! :)

I too love Lane and didn't really care for the band stories. Never really bought her as the amazing drummer who just picked up some sticks one day and became instantly great. I did however like the story about her moving out of her mom's house because of them wanting different things and I would've liked to see that explored deeper. I feel like Mrs. Kim's personality changed very drastically. So the band broke up and Lane just moves back home? That's it? I don't buy it.

• Love 3
On 24.8.2016 at 4:13 AM, timimouse said:

See I'm with you on not being an L/L shipper anymore (except in fanfiction) after a few rewatches. But IMO Luke is just fine as long as you keep him away from Lorelai romantically. Because then (like ALL men on this show) it's all downhill very fast.

16 hours ago, Llywela said:

Heck yes. But the stalkery thing wasn't new at that point, it was Jason's style right from the start - he asked Lorelai out, she said no, so he kept bugging her and bugging her (as in, not acknowledging her refusal at all, just acting like her eventual agreement was a fait accompli) until he eventually wore her down and she agreed. It's a tactic we see over and again on TV, a guy stalking a girl into submission, because obviously she doesn't really mean it when she says no so if he keeps trying his persistence and devotion will eventually be recognised and rewarded, and I think we're meant to see it as romantic, but to me it comes across as all kinds of creepy. She said no, dude - respect her wishes and leave her alone! So Jason turned me off right from the start, and although he does have some cute and funny moments, and Lorelai did seem to enjoy the relationship once it started, I could never like him.

Maybe ASP watched a bit too much Buffy and thought the whole Buffy/Spike thing was hot so why not do that on her own show? *shrugs*

Edited by Smad
  • Love 1

The Lane storylines were limited by the show's need to keep her in Stars Hollow.

They couldn't send her off to college and still keep her in the show. Hep Alien couldn't become successful just playing in town. What is there for Lane to do in a small town? The writers' solution was for her to get married, have kids, move back home with her mom, and get a dead end job as a waitress in a diner.

From a certain outside perspective, the turn Lane's life took was tragic. If it were Rory -- if Rory had never gone to college, had married Dean, was a mother at 20, was serving pancakes at Luke's for $5 tips -- that wouldn't be a happy ending, would it?

• Love 9