Type keyword(s) to search

One is the Loneliest Number: Unpopular GG Opinions

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Not only that but:

Judging by this entire conversation, I highly doubt Christopher's parents were ever going to accept Rory into their lives. They had their minds set about getting to know their grandchild early on, seeing as they stopped seeing her when Rory was between 1 and 3 years old. It does go to show that some effort was made, but it clearly didn't work out. Plus, they made no effort to get in touch with the Gilmores to find out how Rory was. Christopher was in contact with his parents in some capacity, but they never asked him about Rory. His parents put the sole blame on Lorelai, not Christopher. And thus, by proxy, Rory would have always been the blame to Christopher's failures, even though he might not have been any more successful even if he had been active in Rory's life. He wouldn't have gone to Princeton, and his parents would have known Rory, but not been any more civil toward her than in this conversation. 

That entire conversation. Every time I watch it I always hope that when Lorelai sees Rory's acceptance letter to Princeton, she either sends it or makes a copy of it and mails it off to the Haydens to show that Rory got into their precious Princeton along with a great comment or remark about Rory turning down Princeton because they decided it wasn't good enough or something. And maybe even Emily makes one too like she did Logan's mother to Christopher's parents when she saw them in passing at a fundraiser or something.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Not only that but:

Judging by this entire conversation, I highly doubt Christopher's parents were ever going to accept Rory into their lives. They had their minds set about getting to know their grandchild early on, seeing as they stopped seeing her when Rory was between 1 and 3 years old. It does go to show that some effort was made, but it clearly didn't work out. Plus, they made no effort to get in touch with the Gilmores to find out how Rory was. Christopher was in contact with his parents in some capacity, but they never asked him about Rory. His parents put the sole blame on Lorelai, not Christopher. And thus, by proxy, Rory would have always been the blame to Christopher's failures, even though he might not have been any more successful even if he had been active in Rory's life. He wouldn't have gone to Princeton, and his parents would have known Rory, but not been any more civil toward her than in this conversation. 

That conversation is just. Ugh. Christopher just allowing this to happen makes my blood boil.

I'm still dying to know how Lorelai and Rory ruined his life when he was never there for either of them; financially or personally.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, langway said:

That conversation is just. Ugh. Christopher just allowing this to happen makes my blood boil.

I'm still dying to know how Lorelai and Rory ruined his life when he was never there for either of them; financially or personally.  

Me too. Christopher clearly could have still gone to Princeton. There was really nothing preventing him from doing so. Christopher was pretty much left off the hook when it came to raising Rory. And why did he just sit there while his father horribly insulted his daughter? How can a father just sit there and not say anything? Or later to Rory? Emily talked to Rory and was quick to reassure her that she was never regretted and that Christopher's father was an ass. Lorelai later reassured Rory too. But we didn't even get a quick scene of Christopher doing the same thing. Poor Rory. She already nervous enough about meeting this set of grandparents and to hear all those horrible things being said because she was born.  I wonder how Rory felt a few years later when Christopher's mother was babysitting Gigi. The woman rejected her but had zero problem being around her little half-sister.

• Love 3

In "Dear Emily and Richard" Christopher tells Lorelai he's not going to Princeton, he's going backpacking in Europe (writers sure love that story line). There was absolutely no reason Rory's existence prevented Chris from going to college. Also in that episode isn't it Straub who suggests Lorelai "just get rid of it"? And Francine suggests they send Lorelai away (as in go to a home and give the baby up for adoption). I graduated high school in 1968. We had one girl who got pregnant was allowed to stay in school and graduate. Another did the going away to a home thing. I have a hard time believing by the time Lorelai was in high school they were acting like it was 1960.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, langway said:

Christopher was never going to be who his parents wanted him to be.  Lorelai (and Rory) provided a convenient scapegoat so the Haydens never had to face the fact that their harsh parenting may have had something to do with the "failure" their son turned out to be.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, junienmomo said:

IIRC he had a few non-exclusive dates with Anna and parted ways without regret. Therefore, I'm guessing that Anna and Lorelai both had character or beauty elements that attracted Luke, but the chemistry wasn't there with Anna. He certainly wasn't pining for her. Unless of course you retcon the fact that no one never mentioned her as a past love, even though the townies knew about her. Then it could be argued that he was pining for her and settled for Lorelai. Who knows what else is hidden in that wallet?

I don't know how long they dated but when Luke tells Liz that he has a 12yo daughter, she immediately understands it was with Anna. She says that he is a serial monogamist and that the timing fits. Seeing that Luke and Liz did not have the greatest of relationships before she came to SH (for God's sake, she didn't even know who Nicole was in "A Family Matter" and thought Lorelei was her), I would assume he told her about Anna only if is was serious, or at least more than a few dates.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, langway said:

Well, Straub and Francine clearly thought that they did, but in all honesty, Christopher would have not gone to Princeton, or he would have found a way to drop out/flunk. Rory coming along just gave him an excuse to not go. Christopher had no intentions of going to college, as mentioned above. He was going to run away, much like Lorelai wanted to do. Neither of them wanted to be part of that lifestyle anymore. However, if the pregnancy wouldn't have happened, the questions becomes if Lorelai and Christopher would have just left at eighteen, or if they would have done what their parents wanted them to do. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, marineg said:

I don't know how long they dated but when Luke tells Liz that he has a 12yo daughter, she immediately understands it was with Anna. She says that he is a serial monogamist and that the timing fits. Seeing that Luke and Liz did not have the greatest of relationships before she came to SH (for God's sake, she didn't even know who Nicole was in "A Family Matter" and thought Lorelei was her), I would assume he told her about Anna only if is was serious, or at least more than a few dates.

Which also doesn't jive with April's DNA test, now does it? Unless Anna was a freewheeling cheater while Luke was the serial monogamist. Out of all these things, Liz is the most unreliable, because she would have been in her drug/alcoholic/whatever phase. I think the Liz comment was simply an illogical plot device to justify the kid from nowhere. 

1 hour ago, junienmomo said:

Which also doesn't jive with April's DNA test, now does it? Unless Anna was a freewheeling cheater while Luke was the serial monogamist. Out of all these things, Liz is the most unreliable, because she would have been in her drug/alcoholic/whatever phase. I think the Liz comment was simply an illogical plot device to justify the kid from nowhere. 

My recollection is that April did the DNA test as a project to determine who her father was on her own, not because Anna necessarily had any doubt. I've never re-watched so I'm doing this from memory, but I think April said she went through her mom's old boxes of photos and narrowed it down from there.  It seems reasonable if there was a photo of Luke and Anna from early in their dating and another photo of her mom from a similar time period with another guy and/or shortly after Luke and Anna broke up, April wouldn't necessarily be able to fill in the months of timing in between without talking to her mom, which she expressly did not do.  

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

My recollection is that April did the DNA test as a project to determine who her father was on her own, not because Anna necessarily had any doubt. I've never re-watched so I'm doing this from memory, but I think April said she went through her mom's old boxes of photos and narrowed it down from there.  It seems reasonable if there was a photo of Luke and Anna from early in their dating and another photo of her mom from a similar time period with another guy and or shortly after Luke and Anna broke up, April wouldn't necessarily be able to filling in the months of timing in between without talking to her mom, which she expressly did not do.  

Completely agree. Plus I don't see Luke dating a woman who is dating 2 other guys. But Anna does say that she had no idea her daughter was doing this.

100% agree. I've always felt that Anna and Lorelai were deliberately written with extremely similar personality traits and lifestyles - and daughters - and it often made me wonder if there was a planned reunion for Luke and Anna. That way, some viewers would actually like her as she reminded them of Lorelai? I dunno.. but it really bothered me how much Anna came off as a Lorelai 2.0. That's exactly what I used to call her. And April was the knock-off Rory. As much as I have a soft spot for Vanessa Marano, she's not a very good actress... especially in those early years.

I completely thought Anna was originally meant as a potential romantic rival for Luke's affections.  She mirrors Lorelai way too much for it to be a coincidence.    Obviously, they put the kibosh on that quickly by making it clear that Anna was batshit crazy, and a truly awful person, but yeah, I totally envisioned some weirdo love triangle going on at some point. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I completely thought Anna was originally meant as a potential romantic rival for Luke's affections.  She mirrors Lorelai way too much for it to be a coincidence.    Obviously, they put the kibosh on that quickly by making it clear that Anna was batshit crazy, and a truly awful person, but yeah, I totally envisioned some weirdo love triangle going on at some point. 

Yeah. Although if you look closely at everyone of her decisions, would they really surprise you coming from Lorelei? Not saying they weren't shitty, just that they are Lorelei-like.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, RachelKM said:

My recollection is that April did the DNA test as a project to determine who her father was on her own, not because Anna necessarily had any doubt. I've never re-watched so I'm doing this from memory, but I think April said she went through her mom's old boxes of photos and narrowed it down from there.  It seems reasonable if there was a photo of Luke and Anna from early in their dating and another photo of her mom from a similar time period with another guy and/or shortly after Luke and Anna broke up, April wouldn't necessarily be able to fill in the months of timing in between without talking to her mom, which she expressly did not do.  

Then she wouldn't have needed to take new pictures if she had the old ones. The serial monogamist still doesn't hold water because if they were steady for X months to meet some minor definition of serial monogamy, and they broke up right after conception, she would have been unlikely to have been with two other guys as rebounds from Luke. 

The Palladinos were not really good at retroactive continuity. 

I don't understand why should wouldn't have needed current pictures.  If it was for a project, current photos of her candidates would make sense.  Did she say something that made it clear the photos were for some other purpose for which old photos should have sufficed?

1 minute ago, RachelKM said:

I don't understand why should wouldn't have needed current pictures.  If it was for a project, current photos of her candidates would make sense.  Did she say something that made it clear the photos were for some other purpose for which old photos should have sufficed?

They were just a visual aid to make her poster attractive. Old photos would have been fine and possibly a slightly less egregious violation of privacy. She didn't care about the guys, she just wanted to win. 

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I heard Anna was cast originally to cause problems for L&L but that would make Luke ever more OOC than they made him with a kid. On my first watch I thought he was attracted to Anna and kept Lorelai away because of he attraction and that Lorelai would notice their similarities. 

10 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

They were just a visual aid to make her poster attractive. Old photos would have been fine and possibly a slightly less egregious violation of privacy. She didn't care about the guys, she just wanted to win. 

Both old and current would be better.  And she clearly didn't give two craps about the potential privacy issues since she not only took his picture without asking permission, but technically committed a battery to take a hair sample without permission while talking to him and then skipped out the door. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3

I mean let's be honest. April was a twelve year old girl. I don't think privacy issues or committing battery was ever in her mind... And I agree that the new photos being taken were clearly for the project.

Transcript from "He's Slippin’ ‘Em Bread... Dig?":
LIZ: That's Anna Nardini, isn't it?
LUKE [stunned]: How'd you know?
LIZ: Luke, you're not Warren Beatty. I mean, you could have been, girls like you, but you're a serial monogamist. That's why you're you. I remember Anna, I liked her!

I mean that kind of lets me understand that Anna and Luke's relationship was not a one night stand.....

• Love 1

I always took that to mean that when Luke dated it was with intention to be with that person exclusively and seriously, but not that every relationship necessarily lasted years.  I assumed Anna and Luke dated for six months give or take (I guess when he was not with Rachel at some point?). I could see April finding a handful of photos of her mother from 1992-1994 from which it was not easy for a 12 year old in 2006 to determine which photo was from which month/year.  I mean, lots of people don't date photos at all or just put the year unless it's an event like a holiday.  

Granted, I was a teenager, but back then I usually just wrote the first names of everyone in the photo.  I have to date them based on the bands on the shirts my friends are wearing or my best friend hairstyle/genre of style.  Fortunately for me, she did a different style every six months - preppy, to grunge, to cheerleader, back to preppy, with different hair for each. If she's in the shot I can narrow it down to within a few months - grunge makes season difficult to assess because of all the fucking flannel and thermals.  Seriously, guys.  I lived in Tucson. WTF was with the flannel? 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 1

It wasn't photos, it was letters.

ANNA: But we really don't need anything. It was not my idea for April to call you. It was all her thing. She got obsessed with winning that science contest, and she's really a smart, driven kid. She's already written a short novel, and she's got her own website. So she went through my old letters and put the whole thing together and, frankly, didn't tell me anything about it till way after the fact. I did not send her to you.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

It wasn't photos, it was letters.

Okay.  Like I said, I that was from memory.  Though, even reading that, I can see why I interpreted that as potentially including photos.... I'm terrible at organizing things like mementos; if you pulled out an old box of my stuff, letters/postcards and photos would likely be lumped together haphazardly along with concert tickets, crappy poetry (mine), and possibly one of the aforementioned flannels that, at 15, I felt certain would mean something to me forever. 

I'm assuming they were letters to Anna from someone other than Luke since he didn't seem the love letter type.   I don't know many people who wrote actual letters in the 90s (other than my grandmother who typed letters on her mechanical typewriter until she was 85) rather than calling people, but it's totally possible.  E-mail was still not prolific in 1993.  If they were letters, I assume they had dates on them; but if they were not from the boyfriends, they likely only had passing references to the boyfriends and still wouldn't necessarily pin down specifics of which months Anna was dating Luke versus other boyfriends whom could have been mentioned letters from a period roughly contemporaneous with April's conception.  So it still doesn't seem that the intention was to make it seem that Anna was dating multiple men at the time April was conceived, just that April only gleaned enough from her mom's old correspondence to narrow it down to three potential candidates.  I never got the impression Anna was at all uncertain who April's father was. 

Edited by RachelKM
Typos
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, patchwork said:

Letters are even worse than photos, why would not one but three of Anna's boyfriends be writing to her in a very short space of time?

Was she travelling a lot or something? 

Let's be honest. The whole storyline was a stretch.

• Love 14

Let's be honest. The whole storyline was a stretch.

Yes.  Let's remember that Anna decided it was better to deny April a father, and Luke a daughter, for over a decade, because she thought Luke didn't like kids.  That's just insane.  I would have been fine with it if there had been some scene with Anna like in the movie Airplane where the woman is being hysterical and the entire plane lines up to beat her back into being calm.   

• Love 4
On 9/5/2016 at 8:36 AM, clack said:

AS-P is a fine writer of comic dialogue, but a terrible writer of comic situation. This is especially true of the actions of "wacky" characters like Sookie and Kirk.

For instance, Lorelai and Luke are estranged, but still in love. They are each helping out, behind the scenes, the production of a grade school play, making awkward conversation and casting longing looks at each other. Potential for a compelling dramatic situation, right? But no, because fucking Kirk is starring in the play, acting scenes with a 10 year old playing his wife.

That is something that would not happen. Even in the broadest, silliest farce, the writers would expend some effort in setting up such an impossible situation, so that the viewers might briefly suspend their disbelief.

The comic situations that Sookie is placed in, while maybe not as cartoonish, are even more credibility-shredding, as Sookie is Lorelai's business partner, and supposedly a trained chef.  But for "comedic" effect, she is portrayed as incapable of catering a children's party. When incapacitated by pregnancy, she hides out at the inn and has Luke's entrees sneaked up to her room to taste them. That's not funny, that's actually disturbing.

I still hate the entire subplot to this day. It made zero sense that Kirk would be the starring role, the only adult where the oldest kid in the play wa 10 YEARS OLD! I don't care if it was because Lulu was the stage manager and a teacher for the school, or the director was: "oh that Kirk, my friend loves him, I'll make him the star of the play." How he could have auditioned for the play, no parent didn't go: "What the fuck is wrong with you?" "This is a grade school play!" Or the fact that Kirk decides to act like a 10 year old like raising his hand to use the bathroom, leaving because his mom called him, ect. It didn't come off as: "See kids, be like Kirk, and always raise you hand and say: please and thank you." It came off as: "Why is this guy not ran out of the school and told to never come back?"

Edited by readster
  • Love 6
57 minutes ago, readster said:

Or the fact that Kirk decides to act like a 10 year old like raising his hand to use the bathroom, leaving because his mom called him, ect. It didn't come off as: "See kids, be like Kirk, and always raise you hand and say: please and thank you." It came off as: "Why is this guy not ran out of the school and told to never come back?"

True. Although that was kind of the point of Kirk. They made Kirk childish from the beginning with the "Kirk living at his mom's" plot, or when he moves out and ends up sleeping at Lorelei's in "Live and let Diorama" when he completely acts as a child by getting a candy hangover or making a fort out of cereal boxes... Even his night terrors thing was completely over the top and immature.

Another UO: The actors who play young Lorelai and Chris in "Dear Richard and Emily" were really miscast. As much as I loathe Christopher, DS and LG had way more chemistry than their younger counterparts. Even young Lorelai was.....just not what I would have expected. I can't pinpoint it, but whenever I see DRAE, I can't help but be a little disappointed. 

And again, JMO, younger Chris and Lorelai had zero chemistry. I guess this is technically half UO and half nitpick, but I don't really know if we ever got a clear picture of what Lorelai and Chris were like when they were dating. Rory finds the pictures of them in LWAS, and obviously they were sleeping together, but my impression from what we saw and what we heard was that Lorelai and Chris were two kids who grew up together, came from a similar background, and decided to date. I think had it not been for Rory, they would have cut ties with each other sooner. Maybe not forever, but the conclusion that they were better as friends would have been reached. Again, their scenes in DRAE are played more platonic than romantic to me. Or more friends-with-benefits than two teens in love. 

• Love 4

That seems to be a pretty common opinion. :) Although I think any actress cast would have a tough job to live up to older Lorelai and have it be believable. Young Lorelai comes across as a Francie and Madeline mix, imo, rather than the kind of rebellious, headstrong, joyriding Lorelai Christopher is always talking about. I wonder if that version of Lorelai that Christopher remembers so fondly is something he made up in his head after Rory was born. Kind of like their star-crossed love story that looks so meaningful after they didn't get married. Because I agree with you that Lorelai and Chris come across as friends with a sexual history rather than some sort of great thwarted love. 

• Love 2
On 9/5/2016 at 6:55 PM, marineg said:

Definitely agree with all written above. On a somewhat unrelated note, anyone else see Anna Nardini as a Lorelei 2.0? I mean, of course, two single quirky moms who accidentally got pregnant and had genius teenage daughters. But more than that, I felt so hard that they were SO much alike.

Even her house is similar! I have whinged about not liking Lorelai's house after the big remodel. Anna's house has that same cozy, quirky charm that Lorelai's had pre-season 6. She is very similar to Lorelai which is why I don't mind her. Come to think of it, Sherilynn Fenn's other character as Jess' dad's girlfriend was also very Lorelai-like.

On 9/6/2016 at 1:05 AM, timimouse said:

100% agree. I've always felt that Anna and Lorelai were deliberately written with extremely similar personality traits and lifestyles - and daughters - and it often made me wonder if there was a planned reunion for Luke and Anna. That way, some viewers would actually like her as she reminded them of Lorelai? 

I thought that too when I first watched those episodes. Especially since they had shown so many miscommunication and trust issues in his relationship with Lorelai.

2 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Even her house is similar! I have whinged about not liking Lorelai's house after the big remodel. Anna's house has that same cozy, quirky charm that Lorelai's had pre-season 6. She is very similar to Lorelai which is why I don't mind her. Come to think of it, Sherilynn Fenn's other character as Jess' dad's girlfriend was also very Lorelai-like.

I'd never thought about Anna's house, but it's true. At least from the little we see of it. I did like Lorelei's kitchen floor after the remodel though. And I never saw Jess's stepmom as Lorelei-esque TBH... I thought she was more like Liz than Lorelei, although with a better grasp of real life.

Edited by marineg
  • Love 1

I absolutely hate everyone in Stars Hollow. In the episode "Christopher Returns", Patti actually says she, and lots of other people in town, are basically parents to Rory. What in the actual hell? No, no one is "basically a parent" to Rory except her actual mother. That comment really got on my nerves. I understand she was trying to knock Christopher, but quite frankly, that whole situation is no one's business except for Rory, Lorelai, and Christopher's.

And then when Dean and Rory break up after their 3 month anniversary. Everybody and their mother is trying to talk to this poor girl about it, and Babette just walks into Lorelai's house saying how she "HAS to talk to Rory". Uh, how about, you back away slowly and stay the hell away from my house and child? These people just have no boundaries and Lorelai is an idiot for continuing to allow this crap. I wouldn't mind these damn townies in all of their quirkiness, craziness, and general weirdness if they didn't act like they were legitimately parents to Rory. It's fucking creepy, if I'm honest.

Edited by langway
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, langway said:

I absolutely hate everyone in Stars Hollow. In the episode "Christopher Returns", Patti actually says she, and lots of other people in town, are basically parents to Rory. What in the actual hell? No, no one is "basically a parent" to Rory except her actual mother. That comment really got on my nerves. I understand she was trying to knock Christopher, but quite frankly, that whole situation is no one's business except for Rory, Lorelai, and Christopher's.

And then when Dean and Rory break up after their 3 month anniversary. Everybody and their mother is trying to talk to this poor girl about it, and Babette just walks into Lorelai's house saying how she "HAS to talk to Rory". Uh, how about, you back away slowly and stay the hell away from my house and child? These people just have no boundaries and Lorelai is an idiot for continuing to allow this crap. I wouldn't mind these damn townies in all of their quirkiness, craziness, and general weirdness if they didn't act like they were legitimately parents to Rory. It's fucking creepy, if I'm honest.

OMG yes.  I cannot stand most of Stars Hallow.  I will add to the above, the entire town betting bent out of shape because they couldn't go to Rory's Yale Graduation.  Setting aside the fact that I don't recall this BS for the Chilton Graduation, WTF was that?  Has no one in Stars Hallow ever attended a University from which they graduated? There are always limits on tickets (usually 4-6) and even if you can manage to acquire one or two extra, you'd never be able to get the 100+ you would need even to accommodate all the a-holes that go to all the meetings (I assume there are other residents in SH and surrounding who do not attend the meetings since there are more kids in its High School than the idiots at those meetings ). Then demanding a local reenactment.... ugh. 

As a side note, what must it have been like to be a contemporary of Rory's in Stars Hallow?  I mean, the whole town treats her like some combination of mascot and Ivy League Jesus.  

SH Mom: Jennifer is about to graduate from Columbia

SH Residents: Meh....

Lorelai:  Rory is graduating Yale.

SH Residents: Praise Jesus, I must attend. 

SH Mom: Josh is in the hospital and needs a bone marrow transplant.

SH Residents: Okay... I guess we'll ask Babette to shout/announce it at our next town meeting.

Lorelai: Rory skinned her knee

SH Residents:  WE WANT TO DONATE BLOOD AND EACH WILL BE INDEPENDENTLY OFFENDED IF ANY ONE OF OUR DONATIONS IS NOT USED BY HER!!!!!!!

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 12
15 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

OMG yes.  I cannot stand most of Stars Hallow.  I will add to the above, the entire town betting bent out of shape because they couldn't go to Rory's Yale Graduation.  Setting aside the fact that I don't recall this BS for the Chilton Graduation, WTF was that?  Has no one in Stars Hallow ever attended a University from which they graduated? There are always limits on tickets (usually 4-6) and even if you can manage to acquire one or two extra, you'd never be able to get the 100+ you would need even to accommodate all the a-holes that go to all the meetings (I assume there are other residents in SH and surrounding who do not attend the meetings since there are more kids in its High School that idiot at those meetings ). Then demanding a local reenactment.... ugh. 

As a side note, what much it have been like to be a contemporary of Rory's in Stars Hallow?  I mean, the whole town treats her like some combination of mascot and Ivy League Jesus.  

SH Residents: Okay... I guess we'll ask Babette to shout/announce it at our next town meeting.

SH Residents:  WE WANT TO DONATE BLOOD AND EACH WILL BE INDEPENDENTLY OFFENDED IF ANY ONE OF OUR DONATIONS IS NOT USED BY HER!!!!!!!

First of all, my college graduation (that took place this year YAY!) was actually a "no ticket needed" event so you could have as many people you want. And it was a pretty big school even if not Yale. But yeah, that scene + watching back the Chilton graduation felt crazy. Like no one ever helped her in any capacity to get into Yale, or help her once she was attending Yale. There was no big "Rory got into Yale" party or anything. It kind of came out of nowhere...

[PS: Just realized I've been typing "Lorelei" instead of "Lorelai" for the past 3 days... Bendelschnitz... You should definitely dud me!]

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RachelKM said:

OMG yes.  I cannot stand most of Stars Hallow.  I will add to the above, the entire town betting bent out of shape because they couldn't go to Rory's Yale Graduation.  Setting aside the fact that I don't recall this BS for the Chilton Graduation, WTF was that?  Has no one in Stars Hallow ever attended a University from which they graduated? There are always limits on tickets (usually 4-6) and even if you can manage to acquire one or two extra, you'd never be able to get the 100+ you would need even to accommodate all the a-holes that go to all the meetings (I assume there are other residents in SH and surrounding who do not attend the meetings since there are more kids in its High School that idiot at those meetings ). Then demanding a local reenactment.... ugh. 

As a side note, what much it have been like to be a contemporary of Rory's in Stars Hallow?  I mean, the whole town treats her like some combination of mascot and Ivy League Jesus.  

OH MY GOSH YES. I was going to use the Yale graduation as another example, but my eye starting twitching from irritation. Lorelai having to defend herself for that was ridiculous. I always thought that they all were just a bunch of dumbass morons with no common sense, but they legitimately believe they are owed all of these things on the basis of "Well, we've known her since she was a kid and I babysat her that one time so I'm basically a parent!" Complete numbskulls. I hate them. Every single one. 

• Love 2

There's also the fact that these assholes feel entitled enough to vote on the L/L relationship, and then, when there is a breakup, hand out f-ing ribbons? I mean, really? Like any of these people are qualified to judge what went wrong and whose side to pick? But besides that, how about having a modicum of decency and respecting their privacy? Nope. It's another quirky town thing. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, marineg said:

First of all, my college graduation (that took place this year YAY!) was actually a "no ticket needed" event so you could have as many people you want. And it was a pretty big school even if not Yale. But yeah, that scene + watching back the Chilton graduation felt crazy. Like no one ever helped her in any capacity to get into Yale, or help her once she was attending Yale. There was no big "Rory got into Yale" party or anything. It kind of came out of nowhere...

[PS: Just realized I've been typing "Lorelei" instead of "Lorelai" for the past 3 days... Bendelschnitz... You should definitely dud me!]

I was typing Lorelei for about two days last week... I think we can forgive you.  Okay, I stand corrected.  Every college graduation I've been a part of or attended in which there was an actual walking across the stage portion with announced names has been a ticket event.  Technically, when I graduated from undergrad, there was a college graduation on Friday that was a limited ticket event in which we had college a valedictorian speeches and announced individual  names and then there was a university wide graduation in which we sat with our college and just stood as a group.  That one was open attendance.  However, it was pretty impersonal and even finding your friend in the crowd could be a pain. 

ETA: BTW, Congratulations on your graduation! 

2 hours ago, JaggedLilPill said:

There's also the fact that these assholes feel entitled enough to vote on the L/L relationship, and then, when there is a breakup, hand out f-ing ribbons? I mean, really? Like any of these people are qualified to judge what went wrong and whose side to pick? But besides that, how about having a modicum of decency and respecting their privacy? Nope. It's another quirky town thing. 

Right?  And WTF was with them getting to either approve of Chris or disapprove and see if he could fit in?  I happen to like Chris, but even if you didn't, he was Lorelai's husband at that point.  Not really up to them to put in their two cents on the relationship and it's just down right assholery to make him feel excluded and/or fail to accept him. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2

I agree about the town acting like assholes about Rory's Yale graduation. But why was there no one from Stars Hollow at Rory's graduation party?  Did Emily just leave them off the list or did she ask Rory for a guest list and Rory didn't name anyone? Wouldn't she have wanted Lane there at least? Maybe Sookie and Jackson? Maybe Babette and Miss Patty or Michel It would have been cool for once to see Rory's Stars Hollow life and Yale life together and what better place then at her graduation party?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, JaggedLilPill said:

12 hours ago, RachelKM said:

Right?  And WTF was with them getting to either approve of Chris or disapprove and see if he could fit in?  I happen to like Chris, but even if you didn't, he wasLorelai's husband at that point.  Not really up to them to put in their two cents on the relationship and it's just down right assholery to make him feel excluded and/or fail to accept him. 

And those two things make even less sense when you think about the discrepancies in terms of population of SH. Like someone said earlier, the people who attend the town meetings regularly (as they seem to suggest is "obligatory" for all SH people) cannot be more than a 100. But look at the high school and all the f-ing businesses... Even if all those 100 were indeed like parents to Rory, and that is a big if, that would not warrant the HUGE party they threw in "Bon Voyage" that went against every town (or more Taylor) law imaginable.

11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I agree about the town acting like assholes about Rory's Yale graduation. But why was there no one from Stars Hollow at Rory's graduation party?  Did Emily just leave them off the list or did she ask Rory for a guest list and Rory didn't name anyone? Wouldn't she have wanted Lane there at least? Maybe Sookie and Jackson? Maybe Babette and Miss Patty or Michel It would have been cool for once to see Rory's Stars Hollow life and Yale life together and what better place then at her graduation party?

I had never thought about that! But yeah, whenever Emily organized a party for Rory, she asked who she wanted to invite. At the very least Jackson and Sookie, and Lane and Zach would have been there. Especially because it was supposed to be "it", her only graduation party. Although now that I'm typing, I'm realizing that Rory invited Lane, Zach, Paris, Doyle, Lorelai, and Luke, but no Sookie or Jackson AT HER 21st BIRTHDAY PARTY (EDIT!!!). Which is weird because Sookie WAS like a second mom to her, or at the very least, a very constant presence in her life since she was a kid (contrary to the bunch of crazy SH people).

Edited by marineg
  • Love 3

Although that was kind of the point of Kirk. They made Kirk childish from the beginning with the "Kirk living at his mom's" plot, or when he moves out and ends up sleeping at Lorelei's in "Live and let Diorama" when he completely acts as a child by getting a candy hangover or making a fort out of cereal boxes... Even his night terrors thing was completely over the top and immature.

I would say his behavior in those instances was beyond immature and well into "special."

I'm fairly certain the town would have a dance contest to determine who had the strongest knee, and the "winner" would get to donate their un-skinned knee to Rory. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, marineg said:

I had never thought about that! But yeah, whenever Emily organized a party for Rory, she asked who she wanted to invite. At the very least Jackson and Sookie, and Lane and Zach would have been there. Especially because it was supposed to be "it", her only graduation party. Although now that I'm typing, I'm realizing that Rory invited Lane, Zach, Paris, Doyle, Lorelai, and Luke, but no Sookie or Jackson. Which is weird because Sookie WAS like a second mom to her, or at the very least, a very constant presence in her life since she was a kid (contrary to the bunch of crazy SH people).

I don't think she did in the first season, when she threw that birthday party for Rory. She just sent invitations to all of her classmates. 

5 hours ago, Anela said:

I don't think she did in the first season, when she threw that birthday party for Rory. She just sent invitations to all of her classmates. 

True. But she included them. For her 21st, she did ask her though.

• Love 1

Aw, you guys. Coming down so hard on the townies? That's just ASP's way of showing how wonderfully welcoming a small town is, how everyone's like family.  (just kidding, they were occasionally irritating as hell)

I'm going to come down on the unpopular side of the last episode and say how much I hated it. No tears, just WTF coming out of my mouth way too often as I watched it. Even the LL kiss at the end left me angry and dissatisfied.

Bon Voyage, How Do I Hate Thee? Let me count the ways (plus a few things I loved):

1. Christiane Amanpour - wooden acting, dull as dirt dialog, no way would Amanpour be so impressed with Rory at that moment to offer to look over her material. (Michel was my hero here)
  2. Lorelai the dumbass saying Luke never does anything right before she gets into the car that he busted his butt to have repaired. Saying she's done with him. She's given him all the time in the world? Please.
  3. Liz coming into the diner to foist her latest offspring on Luke. (It was nice, though, to see the clear demonstration of how Luke had changed for the better by his laughing, happy exchange with Charlie the meat guy)
  4. Richard's OTT "as if anyone could forget" Rory once they met her. (The rest of the dinner was sensitively done and enjoyable)
  5. The townie outrage at the party cancellation. Not even one congratulations from the townies. (Luke was there for Rory as always)
  6. The town meeting premise was stupid because everyone agreed "it is Rory, for God's sake" (the townies were hilariously townie-like, which was fun)
  7. The retconned fact that 'say everything to Rory' Lane didn't tell her about her first kiss (loved the townies on the square carrying tables)
  8. Taylor's speech. No. Just no. I found myself yelling "Rat's Tushy!" at the screen
  9. The OTT 'let's give all townies one more closeup before the end' and Kirk's disgusting sash
  10. Emily and RIchard stopped judging Lorelai. Not that it was bad, it was just illogical and not supported by other behavior

There were a bunch of good moments like the party setup and Lorelai's visit to Rory's room and Luke's tarp sewing and the necklace appearing on Lorelai's neck and the closing diner scene.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, junienmomo said:

Aw, you guys. Coming down so hard on the townies? That's just ASP's way of showing how wonderfully welcoming a small town is, how everyone's like family.  (just kidding, they were occasionally irritating as hell)

I'm going to come down on the unpopular side of the last episode and say how much I hated it. No tears, just WTF coming out of my mouth way too often as I watched it. Even the LL kiss at the end left me angry and dissatisfied.

Bon Voyage, How Do I Hate Thee? Let me count the ways (plus a few things I loved):

1. Christiane Amanpour - wooden acting, dull as dirt dialog, no way would Amanpour be so impressed with Rory at that moment to offer to look over her material. (Michel was my hero here)
  2. Lorelai the dumbass saying Luke never does anything right before she gets into the car that he busted his butt to have repaired. Saying she's done with him. She's given him all the time in the world? Please.
  3. Liz coming into the diner to foist her latest offspring on Luke. (It was nice, though, to see the clear demonstration of how Luke had changed for the better by his laughing, happy exchange with Charlie the meat guy)
  4. Richard's OTT "as if anyone could forget" Rory once they met her. (The rest of the dinner was sensitively done and enjoyable)
  5. The townie outrage at the party cancellation. Not even one congratulations from the townies. (Luke was there for Rory as always)
  6. The town meeting premise was stupid because everyone agreed "it is Rory, for God's sake" (the townies were hilariously townie-like, which was fun)
  7. The retconned fact that 'say everything to Rory' Lane didn't tell her about her first kiss (loved the townies on the square carrying tables)
  8. Taylor's speech. No. Just no. I found myself yelling "Rat's Tushy!" at the screen
  9. The OTT 'let's give all townies one more closeup before the end' and Kirk's disgusting sash
  10. Emily and RIchard stopped judging Lorelai. Not that it was bad, it was just illogical and not supported by other behavior

There were a bunch of good moments like the party setup and Lorelai's visit to Rory's room and Luke's tarp sewing and the necklace appearing on Lorelai's neck and the closing diner scene.

Considering they were not sure it was the last show I thought they did a pretty good job of wrapping it up; rushed but okay.

I agree with all your points but I give Lorelai a pass on Luke's feelings for her because of his reaction to her after her song. It would make sense of what her frame of mind was. What I did find weird was she told Sookie she needed to figure our her feelings for Luke but no mention of how he might feel about her...he was the one that "pushed her away"...in his own words. 

1 hour ago, FictionLover said:

I agree with all your points but I give Lorelai a pass on Luke's feelings for her because of his reaction to her after her song. It would make sense of what her frame of mind was. What I did find weird was she told Sookie she needed to figure our her feelings for Luke but no mention of how he might feel about her...he was the one that "pushed her away"...in his own words. 

Yes. And although Luke did push Lorelai away, it was unintentional on his part, and understandable to an extent and just in typical Luke fashion. But that is like Friends' "We were on a break" debate. And I love that Lorelai, because she sang a romantic song while totally drunk, and stating that she is singing it for her daughter, totally assumes that the ball is in his court and if he does not answer her "gesture", it's because he's moved on. She has pressured him every step of their relationship, from the proposal to the wedding (let's not forget that she planned the ENTIRE wedding without consulting him even though he clearly stated that he wanted to be a part of the planning...) to forcing him to move into HER two bedroom house* to pushing to be a part of his daughter's life. Now, I love Lorelai, and she was right that Luke was just not including her in everything, but that's Luke, and after seeing his relationships with Rachel and Nicole, and knowing him for 8 years, she should have known better...

* This may have been said over and over again but HOW IN THE WORLD did they not expand the house, as in add more rooms and bathrooms rather than just make Lorelai's bedroom bigger? They basically did just that, and painted the place. She didn't even do anything to her daughter's room. In my family, my parents would have first made the kids' bedrooms bigger (or existent), and then thought about their own... Poor Rory, sleeping in a twin bed at 22 years old....

2 hours ago, junienmomo said:

I love SH. To be honest, I love every single one of them. But they are all crazy. We should call the guys with the butterfly nets to come and get them!

The Christiane Amanpour thing was crazy. How why... WHY would 1. Lorelai let Rory walk out in her PJs. Even if she didn't believe her, you don't leav your house in your PJs, especially if there is a 1% chance that she could meet her hero. and 2. Why would Amanpour ever be impressed by Rory. She's only a college graduate, and speaking as a recent one, trust me, NO ONE is impressed when looking for work!

Edited by marineg
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, junienmomo said:

I really enjoyed the last episode but I have to agree with you about the outrage of the townies in the diner when Lorelai explained that the party was cancelled because Rory got a job. Considering how much the town loves Rory, you'd think they would at least say congratulations. But no, it was only Luke (again!!) who congratulated and reassured an already nervous Rory.

• Love 1
On 9/8/2016 at 0:33 PM, marineg said:

And I never saw Jess's stepmom as Lorelei-esque TBH... I thought she was more like Liz than Lorelei, although with a better grasp of real life.

It was the way she talked. When Jess comes to her house she gives a long Wizard of Oz spiel instead of asking who he is. I could imagine Lorelai saying the same thing. Also when she's walking through the town and talking to Jess, she seemed like a California Lorelai. All the locals knew her and she had a friendliness with the quirky community she lived in. 

9 hours ago, elang4 said:

I really enjoyed the last episode but I have to agree with you about the outrage of the townies in the diner when Lorelai explained that the party was cancelled because Rory got a job. Considering how much the town loves Rory, you'd think they would at least say congratulations. But no, it was only Luke (again!!) who congratulated and reassured an already nervous Rory.

This town lives for parties, events, festivals, etc. Deprive them of it and things get ugly. I didn't care for how the townies were used in season 7. As for Bon Voyage, I love the Gilmore family stuff and Rory and Lane. The rest I could care less about. 

• Love 3