Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television

Drat!  I'd hoped to be the first poster (I had no idea the show dropped so early on Tuesdays). 

Well, it was nice to see Nicole Yvette Brown, and she's sure looking good!  I guess that other show agrees with her, and it was nice of her to come back for the finale.  I wish Troy had come back, but I guess Donald Glover is still on his world tour?

I took the show to be the series finale, with broad hints (outright pleas, actually) that they'd really like to have another season.  Intervention?  Intervention?  Intervention?

They tried to hint that Annie was the Ass Crack Bandit, but she was in the gym standing with Jeff and the Dean when Vicky got Cracked, so that doesn't wash.  Didn't miss not seeing Pierce, but I'd have loved it if it'd turned out that the Dean and Gilbert were now an item and trying to redecorate the Mansion together.  Sounds like Annie has put a period to any question of she and Jeff getting together at least at this point in her life.  Chang is gay?  Didn't see that happening.

If we get another season or a movie I want more of the Deans costumes, more crazy dances and school activities, and a campus-wide game of Humans vs. Zombies.

• Love 1

It's been released Mondays midnight Pacific time since the season premiere.  But aside from the first night, it's been unavailable on Xbox (my preferred viewing system) till sometime Tuesday morning. Go figure. So for the finale, I just decided to watch it on the web so I could get it super fresh.

Lots of silly little inside gags sprinkled throughout.  The board game -- Harmon talked a long time ago about how the Cheers board game was inspiration for him, that a show could so clearly define itself and its characters that they could be translated into such a foreign format.  The IMDB ID codes for the cast and Harmon and maybe others, on the whiteboard.  (and I guess GC613 is a nod to this being ep 13 of season 6.)  Chang sort of metaphorically farting on the fourth season.  Dan Guterman's character peeking out from the back room again.  Abed's pitch, in particular, sounded a lot like what Harmon calls a "spit draft", where dialogue is totally placeholder if necessary.

But aside from that, as a story that might be the end of the show... it was pretty perfect and I'm actually kinda too choked up about it to talk about that any more.

(well, except that as someone who's around Jeff's age, that whole bit about wanting to be 25 again hit way closer to home than I'd like.)

• Love 5

It's official. This show has become the twenty something hanging around his old high school offering to buy beer.

I hope a Danny Pudi's show gets picked up. He's a good actor and it really will put this zombie show out of its misery.

• Love 3

It's official. This show has become the twenty something hanging around his old high school offering to buy beer.

That was pretty much the point, at least with Jeff's character.

I thought that was a really perfect ending to this show. I'm okay with it being a series finale.

Abed missing Troy made me tear up.

I wonder if the shots against the Marvel movies were made before it was announced that the Russo brothers were directing all the next big Captain America and Avengers movies?

Damn, the tag was dark.

• Love 2
I wonder if the shots against the Marvel movies were made before it was announced that the Russo brothers were directing all the next big Captain America and Avengers movies?

Nah, the Paintball episode had a bit (the elevator scene) that was completely an homage to their Captain America movie. I think Harmon is just trolling.

• Love 3

I hope a Danny Pudi's show gets picked up. He's a good actor and it really will put this zombie show out of its misery.

Wait, Danny Pudi is really doing a show (or trying to)? Yay. :)

I have to admit Community was a bit lost on me in the end, in a way I'll always see season three as where it really ended, but this was pretty good.

Though I do feel bad for Allison Brie, two shows she's in ending at once! I do hope Community gets a movie though. That really would be perfect. Then maybe Shirley and Troy could come back. 

• Love 4

Well, we thought it was just about perfect.

Also, would have liked to see Troy but I liked that they acknowledged him the way they did.

I also got a bit misty when Jeff was hugging Abed at the end.

I'm pretty pleased.  

• Love 2

I hope this is the series finale. I have enjoyed this show to varying degrees for all six years, but this is the time to end it, and that was the way.

Really enjoyed it. Gonna miss it. Would I keep watching if there IS a season seven?

I think so!... Probably... Maybe.

• Love 3
(edited)

I really wish Troy showed up. Britta also got the shaft. She was there from the beginning too. Hell the whole reason there was a study group was because she invited everyone else. But somehow the focus was mainly on Jeff and Annie again.

I admit I'm sad to see this show end. It still has it's funny moments. Even season 4. But really, there's nowhere else for these characters to go story wise. It's time to move on before it turns into even more of a shadow of itself.

Pop pop everybody. Pop pop.

Edited by Samsnee
  • Love 2

So, as a person who used to really love the show in seasons 2-3 but anti-ships the hell out of Jeff/Annie,should I watch season 6? I've heard they've kissed in the finale (ugh) but didn't hook up?

I understand that it's possible to watch a show and just ignore stuff you don't like (I do it with many shows), but for some reason Jeff and Annie have managed to kill all my enjoyment of Community every time that inane romance got brought up.

• Love 1

So, as a person who used to really love the show in seasons 2-3 but anti-ships the hell out of Jeff/Annie,should I watch season 6? I've heard they've kissed in the finale (ugh) but didn't hook up?

I'm anti ships too and it never really occured to me throughout the season that Jeff/Annie was a thing (because I blacked it out of my own head) until the finale. That part made me roll my eyes, but I do think they handled it well. 

Did the Dean swear at one point? I swore he said that Chang was 'fucked up' and it completely threw me. I guess it is online, but I'm so used to it being an NBC show that to hear it was a bit shocking. It almost seemed like a blooper, since Joel made a face afterwards.

• Love 2

I understand that it's possible to watch a show and just ignore stuff you don't like (I do it with many shows), but for some reason Jeff and Annie have managed to kill all my enjoyment of Community every time that inane romance got brought up.

I felt like what happened with Jeff and Annie in the finale was really forced. For the most part there hasn't been a 'Jeff and Annie' until the last 2 episodes of the season and then they sort of just rammed it in. Jeff felt very uncharacteristic to me.

Then again everyone above seems to have really loved it and I have come away from it thinking "well if the funniest part is the fart jokes made my Chang then something is pretty wrong". For me, the best parts were transgender Dean, the shout out to Mr. Meeseeks/Rick & Morty, Chang's season 4 'gas leak' fart and the board game ad at the end because it basically summed up the show completely and made me wonder why I've kept holding on so much.

I feel like I've missed a whole season with this episode.. Maybe there was another gasleak between last episode and this one.. how would Annie ever get an internship at the FBI? Whaat. That's just crazy! I just can't imagine them picking up some Community College student who has been there for 6 years. It just seems so unlikely.

I don't think I've ever missed Troy more than I did this episode. And I miss Troy every episode.

I think I'd love to see a spin off of Abed's new job and how he interacts in the 'real world'

I'm anti ships too and it never really occured to me throughout the season that Jeff/Annie was a thing (because I blacked it out of my own head) until the finale. That part made me roll my eyes, but I do think they handled it well. 

Did the Dean swear at one point? I swore he said that Chang was 'fucked up' and it completely threw me. I guess it is online, but I'm so used to it being an NBC show that to hear it was a bit shocking. It almost seemed like a blooper, since Joel made a face afterwards.

I can't believe I forgot about that in my post above!

Yeah and Britta said 'fucking' as well.. I was like 'woaaah, what the hell?' I had to ask my boyfriend whether that's what had been said by the Dean and then when Britta followed up I figured it must have been. It was so unexpected, I don't really understand the purpose.. to say they're not network tv?

• Love 2

The FBI employs 35,000 people. It's not all special agents like you see on TV and movies. Not much different than a big corporation. I don't find it unbelievable that someone from a community college could get an internship somewhere within the FBI.

• Love 1

Hehehe, Brewster came from a show where she worked at Quantico, and Annie is going to Quantico... mmm

That F bomb really surprise me and from the Dean! Britta's not so much..

Not a fan of Annie hooking up with Jerkf, if there's a season 7, please don't.. and Jeff wants them blonde/red haired, Annie not even his type! 

• Love 1

In episodes 1-11 there's not even a hint of it. You'd never know.  In ep 12 Annie shows an unhealthy draw to Jeff, and then Paget Brewster's character shuts it down. (And this was a minor plot point.) And then the finale they kiss and in so doing establish that they are NOT a suitable couple.

So S6 didn't pretend J/A doesn't exist, but did stomp on the idea and say "no." Personally I think it's the best way to handle the history without indulging it, but if you're trying to forget it was ever a thing you'll be disappointed.

Yeah, that was an odd choice. I don't really care if a show uses profanity, but it has to be true to itself. If they wanted to swear and then hang a 4th wall lantern on it because NBC is gone, then that would be CommunityRandomly doing it because the actors felt like it is just weird.

I loved that a lot more than I expected to. I think, as someone around Jeff's age, that hit a bit too close to home, but in a good way, too.

I am also a Jeff/Annie anti-shipper, but I was ok with what they did in the finale. There wasn't too much there until it was clear that Annie was leaving, so to me it read as more Jeff (and her too) working out the little bits of "what-ifs" that there have clearly been season after season. It made sense to me that those little feelings would be heightened and brought to the front in response to them realizing they might never see each other again, and that they really should tie that up and get some closure on all of that subtext. I thought that was handled very well. 

I normally despise fart jokes, but "I did that on the fourth one, inside joke"? I'll allow that one.

It didn't hit me until I was watching it that it really, truly is over (probably, maybe). Right in the feels.

• Love 2
I am also a Jeff/Annie anti-shipper, but I was ok with what they did in the finale. There wasn't too much there until it was clear that Annie was leaving, so to me it read as more Jeff (and her too) working out the little bits of "what-ifs" that there have clearly been season after season.

I've read that it was basically a "Maybe ever after" conclusion with Annie leaving but confirmed to be mutually in love with Jeff and possibly returning some time after. But it's possible that it was just some shipper's interpretation.

So S6 didn't pretend J/A doesn't exist, but did stomp on the idea and say "no." Personally I think it's the best way to handle the history without indulging it, but if you're trying to forget it was ever a thing you'll be disappointed.

My problem with this pairing is that the show itself seemed to forget it ever happened from time to time and then remembered without any build-up whatsoever. It felt jarring and out of place. Personally,  I've always considered that ship sunk as early as "Virtual Systems Analysis" (an episode that I loved) so it being brought up from time to time felt like fanservice and/or bad writing.

(edited)

I don't know if I want this to be the series finale. It probably should be. It was kinda like the finale for all sitcoms. Like, they could stop making new ones now because this pretty much said it all. I'm setting up a display for this episode right next to the Six Feet Under finale in my mind museum.

Edited by Liqidclark
  • Love 3

It ages pretty well, at least it seems to... based on the one day since I've seen it. Mostly what I'm left with is a lingering sense of closure mixed with occasional random giggles as, completely out of the blue when I'm at work, I suddenly remember something like "dean class."

No way in hell can they lose another original nipple-dipper and carry on, though. 

And if there's a just a movie? I want everyone in it. Not just Troy and Shirley, but also Pierce. Even if he's just a video or hologram or Abed hallucination, he belongs there. I don't even like Chevy Chase, but Pierce was a huge presence in most of their best episodes.

• Love 3

I've read that it was basically a "Maybe ever after" conclusion with Annie leaving but confirmed to be mutually in love with Jeff and possibly returning some time after. But it's possible that it was just some shipper's interpretation.

I think that person was probably reading what they want into it. Going by memory, the line about J/A being together was Annie saying something like "Is this really what I would want"? (They were discussing hypotheticals/dream sequences. At one point Annie even said "Wouldn't the audience feel sorry for me?)

Ultimately the dismissal was age-based, with Jeff wishing he was still 25 and Annie embracing her 20s and wanting to go pursue dreams, which includes a Jeff fantasy more than a reality. One might reason in years time she might might want to settle down when they're 30 and 45 or something, but I definitely wouldn't say "confirmed to be mutual".

My problem with this pairing is that the show itself seemed to forget it ever happened from time to time and then remembered without any build-up whatsoever. It felt jarring and out of place. Personally,  I've always considered that ship sunk as early as "Virtual Systems Analysis" (an episode that I loved) so it being brought up from time to time felt like fanservice and/or bad writing.

I felt like the show never meant to pair them, but accidentally hinted at it enough times until it was an elephant in the room. And then was indecisive about it at best, oblivious at worse. But some blame should go to the fanbase in general, who have never seen any two characters they couldn't ship.

• Love 2
(edited)

Here's the board game disclaimer:

• Dice not included,
  • Some assembly required.
  • Lines between perception, desire, and reality may become blurred, redundant, or interchangeable.
  • Characters may hook up with no regard for your emotional investment.
  • Some episodes too conceptual to be funny, some too funny to be immersive, and some so immersive they still aren't funny.
  • Consistency between seasons may vary.
  • Viewers may be measured by a secretive obsolete system based on selected participants keeping handwritten journals of what they watch.
  • Show may be cancelled and moved to the internet where it turns out tens of millions were watching the whole time.
  • May not matter.
  • Fake commercial may end with disclaimer gag which may descend into vain Chuck Lorresque rant by narcissistic creator.
  • Creator may be unstable.
  • Therapist may have told creator this is not how you make yourself a good person
  • Life may pass by while we ignore or mistreat those close to us.
  • Those close to us may be those watching.
  • Those people may want to know I love them but I may be incapable of saying it.
  • Contains pieces the size of a child's esophagus
Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think that person was probably reading what they want into it. Going by memory, the line about J/A being together was Annie saying something like "Is this really what I would want"? (They were discussing hypotheticals/dream sequences. At one point Annie even said "Wouldn't the audience feel sorry for me?)

Ultimately the dismissal was age-based, with Jeff wishing he was still 25 and Annie embracing her 20s and wanting to go pursue dreams, which includes a Jeff fantasy more than a reality. One might reason in years time she might might want to settle down when they're 30 and 45 or something, but I definitely wouldn't say "confirmed to be mutual".

I felt like the show never meant to pair them, but accidentally hinted at it enough times until it was an elephant in the room. And then was indecisive about it at best, oblivious at worse. But some blame should go to the fanbase in general, who have never seen any two characters they couldn't ship.

This is what Dan Harmon said of Jeff and Annie in the finale.

This is what Dan Harmon said about Jeff and Annie

Q. Let's talk about the Annie and Winger relationship and that kiss. There's still a big age gap between the two, but on an emotional scale they're on the same level.

A.Yeah, with each passing year it gets a little less creepy. I did just marry a 29 year old at 42. And in real life, Allison Brie is 43. No. I just wanted her to read that and freak out. I have no idea how old Allison is. Age aside, it's more an issue of how much life experience you have had. Do we really believe in our heart of hearts that the current version of Jeff Winger and the current version of Annie Edison would be happily ever after if they ever got together? Or is it more likely their souls are intermingled and there is such a thing as true love that is genuinely star crossed? This person hasn't lived their life yet. I'm comfortable with the realization that he's genuinely in love with her, but that's a separate thing from whether that's actually good for her.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/2052/community-finale-dan-harmon/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Mike

Edited by calguy
  • Love 1

Give me some more
Time in a dream
Give me the hope to run out of steam
Somebody said it can be here
We could be roped up, tied up, dead in a year

But I love you more than words can say
I can’t count the reasons I should stay
One by one they all just fade away
But I love you more than words can say

Community can't die.

Not just yet.

What other show could possibly have the power to make me feel the consequences of political machinations?

What other show can bring back people from the the dead?

What other show can make me feel happy, only to take that away, put it into a garbage disposal, walk away, build them up again, light it up again with some gorgeous animation?

What other show has some handsome protagonist, a hot ensemble and two terrific new additions?

Ah fuck it, Game of Thrones, but screw that show, I want my Community back!

#sixseasonsandalifetime

• Love 3

It ages pretty well, at least it seems to... based on the one day since I've seen it. Mostly what I'm left with is a lingering sense of closure mixed with occasional random giggles as, completely out of the blue when I'm at work, I suddenly remember something like "dean class."

No way in hell can they lose another original nipple-dipper and carry on, though. 

And if there's a just a movie? I want everyone in it. Not just Troy and Shirley, but also Pierce. Even if he's just a video or hologram or Abed hallucination, he belongs there. I don't even like Chevy Chase, but Pierce was a huge presence in most of their best episodes.

I was pretty disappointed to see that nippledippers.com is just a parked domain on godaddy :( It was a perfect opportunity to do something fun with the domain.. especially for an internet tv show.

You're right, if they do a movie it needs to have everyone. It could be something cliche like a reunion but it needs to have them all.. granted I'd be ok for Pierce's involvement to be a photo of Pierce and no talking required :P

• Love 2

Never got the hate for Jeff/Annie so I had no issue with the finale. I don't care about the F bomb. People curse. What's actually weird is that it's somehow still a big deal in 2015. All the violence in the world on TV but a bare breast of a F bomb? Time for pearl clutching by some people. I don't care. My first movie experience in the theater was Coming to America. F bombs all over the place (I was taken by my parents). I turned out fine.

I'm ready for the show to end. Just because a show could go on doesn't means it needs to. Sometimes it's good to just end with the feeling is right. This feels like as good of a time as you are going to get.

• Love 3

I pretty much agree with all the above except the being ready with the show to end. It is not the Community I started watching but that's been true of every season (and in fact every other episode), so I am still willing to go along for the ride. And as someone who has and does ship Jeff/Annie, while I appreciate Harmon acknowledging Jeff loves her. I'm not sure why he had to make the romance star crossed in a frigging comedy. I hope they find their way back to each other, though I'll always be sad I didn't get to see the promise bloom. 

I would have liked Britta to be in on the good-byes at the airport, but with everyone getting ready for other projects, Gillian may not have been available. But one last bit with the four remaining study group members would have been nice.

I'd be up for a season seven only if it means not having another cast shakeup. Shirley was in a pretty good place when written out, but I'd hate to see a lack of Britta resolution -- she deserves to get her groove back. And I really can't see the show without Abed -- to me, he's the heart and soul. I also got really attached to Frankie, so I'd hate to see her go the way of Hickey.

But if it's a movie, it would have to be a "reunion special" -- so much Abed meta goodness would come out of that. And I'd only accept it with Troy and Shirley in the mix.

So, Jim Rash is the only one I haven't heard any post-Community plans about. I'm thinking about a write-in campaign for him to take over Hedwig after Taye Digg's run.

• Love 1

Community can't die.

Not just yet.

What other show could possibly have the power to make me feel the consequences of political machinations?

What other show can bring back people from the the dead?

What other show can make me feel happy, only to take that away, put it into a garbage disposal, walk away, build them up again, light it up again with some gorgeous animation?

What other show has some handsome protagonist, a hot ensemble and two terrific new additions?

Ah fuck it, Game of Thrones, but screw that show, I want my Community back!

#sixseasonsandalifetime

Please tell me who the protagonist on Game of Thrones is. I've never been clear on whether it's supposed to be Jon Snow or Dany or any of the people in House Tyrell, Lannister or Stark.

Anyway this episode was good but I think it would be good to end the show on a relative high instead of dragging it out until it becomes a pale imitation of itself.

Please tell me who the protagonist on Game of Thrones is. I've never been clear on whether it's supposed to be Jon Snow or Dany or any of the people in House Tyrell, Lannister or Stark.

Do you want my answer or Abed's? Please tell me it's the latter.

Some closing thoughts on Community, courtesy of Mazzy Star:

Surely don't stay long

I'm missing you now.

It's like I told you

I'm over you somehow

Before I close the door

I need to hear you say goodbye

Baby won't you change your mind?

Do you want my answer or Abed's? Please tell me it's the latter.

Either or both. I'm never quite clear on who qualifies as part of the ensemble in GOT

With this show it's easy the main characters are the study group and everyone is either secondary characters or tertiary characters with GOT I can't even narrow it down to 20 main characters with ease.