Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I had discovered Reelz before the demise of Directv and their demise is directly related to being taken over by AT&T.I miss Major Crimes on TNT the most, but I think I can see it on line. Haven't seen anything about the Justice. I enjoy Netflix, but I'm getting a little bored. I'm not a big movie fan, and I've binge watched almost all the tv shows I'm interested in.Snapped in on Escape several times a day, it's not a big favorite of mine, but I am getting re-addicted to Unsolved Mysteries. Escape also has FBI Files and American Justice. I would enjoy it if they would show the series about a particular city - cannot think of the name, but each episode was set in a smallish city and a sensational murder that happened there, at the beginning, the narration was about the city, a little history, a little about it's citizens, then into the story. 

Problem with Escape is they run dreadful movies on weekends, especially late at night.

• Love 2

I have been waiting for a show like Bad Blood for awhile. I think it is about people who are falsely accused of killing a family member. I can't think of anything worse. To have your family accuse you and worse yet believe you killed someone. Three cases come to mind.

The most famous case is the Clarence _______ case from Akton, Ohio where someone raped & murdered his MIL and raped the young niece. She was 6, I believe, and fingered her uncle.

There was never really 'bad blood', he never blamed her, and neither did other family members. Unfortunately after spending 12 years in prison, it really did a number on his psyche, though.

• Love 4
Third was the case of the couple and the mortgage broker.  Boy did her family throw her under the bus.  Maybe she had something to do with, I didn't think so.  Just know I came away thinking what a crappy family.

I think that the family knew that there were problems between the girl and her parents.  And her affect seemed very cold and quite off to me.  I can see someone being bitterly angry at family members accusing them, but her whole affect screamed "sociopath" in my opinion.  Which doesn't mean she is one or had anything to do with the murders, but I can see where her family was coming from.

I'm  enjoying, if you can use that word, "A Crime to Remember".  They really make an effort to get actors that actually look like the perpetrators/victims.  The Speck case, last night, had me wondering what I would do in that situation.  I'm afraid that if I was in my early twenties, like those girls, I would have just gone with Speck, as they did, one by one.  I would like to think, that as an older woman with more experience (and lots of ID channel watching under my belt), I would try screaming bloody murder--5-6 girls screaming at the top of their lungs would have gotten some attention.  Maybe he would have fled.  Maybe he would have gone back into the room and shot them all.  No right or wrong answer (no victim blaming).  So glad that the one woman hid and was able to finger him.  I saw a documentary with Speck in it a few years ago.  It showed him, middle aged, with a big gut, wearing nothing but small pink silky panties and women's breasts that he'd gotten from taking hormones.  Talk about needing brain bleach.

Edited by Yokosmom
  • Love 4

Barbara Walters feeling somewhat sympathetic to Jean Harris is one thing, but now she reveals that she's pen pals with one of the Menendez brothers? Ugh. What's next, a secret love child with John Wayne Gacy?

Yup, I've canceled my reservation at this table after seeing the Menendez episode. If Baba wants to be an apologist for sociopaths she can go do that on her own time. EVEN IF we buy into the story of death threats from their faither, that in no way explains why their mother was brutally gunned down in cold blood as she tried to crawl away. Bah.

• Love 4
EVEN IF we buy into the story of death threats from their faither, that in no way explains why their mother was brutally gunned down in cold blood as she tried to crawl away. Bah.

Not sure that I buy into their whole abuse story, though it it certainly is possible.  If the abuse story is true, they must have hated their mother for standing by their father and not protecting them.  Even if the physical abuse didn't happen, she allowed her husband to bully the sons. She apparently tried to give them away to other relatives when they were quite young, so she may not have been all that enamored of parenthood.  Which is still no excuse for shooting their parents.  I have some sympathy for young teenagers who think that they have no way out of their situation, shooting an extremely abusive parent.  However the brothers weren't 13 year olds--they were adults that could have walked away from the family and their father.  Agree that Barbara was way too sympathetic.

• Love 8

Oh, I liked City Confidential so much! I must have seen multiple repeats of every episode. And I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Absolutely!  Bill Kurtis & Peter Thomas - the two best narrators in all of television! 

• Love 2

I watched the show Your Worst Nightmare on Netflilx.  The episode "When the Lights Go Out" was really creepy.  It was scarier than a horror movie because you knew it was true.  It is about Cassie Jo Stoddart housesitting for her aunt.  Truly creepy and scary.  Very well done.  

Lake Gal--I just watched the ID show "Your Worst Nightmare" about poor  Cassie and googled her killers Bryan Draper and Tori Adamcik.

{sorry, I can't do linkies}.  Draper seems to have grown up, but if you check out Adamcik's pages  you will see how deluded he is and the trip on the River of Denial he and his parents are on.

• Love 2

I was watching Paula Zahn on demand -- don't judge me -- about a young mother who was murdered in 1979. The victim was abducted with her 2 year old son and strangled. The killer also tried to kill her son but somehow failed.

Before she was abducted, a man had been seen driving a yellow car around the neighborhood several times, including the day of the abduction, or a few days before.  The victim and the victim's sister saw him and noticed he was paying too much attention to them. The police had a few suspects, but eventually, the case went cold.

30 years later, the case was re-opened when a woman called police to report her suspicion that her estranged husband might be murderer. The man vehemently denied it and offered, without any suggestion from the police, to take a DNA test. It was only then that the police thought to test the victim's clothing for DNA.

Thanks to the DNA tests, and a confession the killer made to a cell mate that included details only the killer and police would know, they caught the killer.

It wasn't the caller's estranged husband, but someone the police knew back in 1979 had a yellow car similar to the car driven around the victim's neighborhood. However, the police didn't follow-up on him in 1979 because, according to one investigator, he had no criminal history at the time and was known to the victim and her husband.

To summarize, in 1979 the original investigators failed to follow-up on a potential suspect who matched the few facts then available because apparently only strangers with criminal records commit crimes.  30 years later the cold case investigators had to be reminded about DNA evidence by a suspect.

WTF

• Love 10

I was watching Paula Zahn on demand -- don't judge me -- about a young mother who was murdered in 1979. The victim was abducted with her 2 year old son and strangled. The killer also tried to kill her son but somehow failed.

Before she was abducted, a man had been seen driving a yellow car around the neighborhood several times, including the day of the abduction, or a few days before.  The victim and the victim's sister saw him and noticed he was paying too much attention to them. The police had a few suspects, but eventually, the case went cold.

30 years later, the case was re-opened when a woman called police to report her suspicion that her estranged husband might be murderer. The man vehemently denied it and offered, without any suggestion from the police, to take a DNA test. It was only then that the police thought to test the victim's clothing for DNA.

Thanks to the DNA tests, and a confession the killer made to a cell mate that included details only the killer and police would know, they caught the killer.

It wasn't the caller's estranged husband, but someone the police knew back in 1979 had a yellow car similar to the car driven around the victim's neighborhood. However, the police didn't follow-up on him in 1979 because, according to one investigator, he had no criminal history at the time and was known to the victim and her husband.

To summarize, in 1979 the original investigators failed to follow-up on a potential suspect who matched the few facts then available because apparently only strangers with criminal records commit crimes.  30 years later the cold case investigators had to be reminded about DNA evidence by a suspect.

WTF

GAH!!  How ridiculous is that??  Do you remember the names of the people?  Or the city/state?

GAH!!  How ridiculous is that??  Do you remember the names of the people?  Or the city/state?

The murder victim was Kathy Jo Baker and she, her husband and son lived in Riley, Indiana.  It's a small town, so I believe much of the investigation was handled by state police.  The name of the episode is "A Killer in the Sun".

• Love 6

It feels like ID has abandoned much of its original programming.   Web of Lies and Fear Thy Neighbor were my favorites, but they do only a handful of episodes every season. 

Of course, godawful Brenda Strong and Blood Relatives is still around.   Guess they rented all those bugs, so they have to do something with them (I swear, there was even a walking stick in one episode).

Now the programming seems overwhelmed by repackaged reruns of Barbara Walter interviews, Paula Zahn, Dateline, 48 Hours and the rest of the rehashed primetime network garbage.   If I wanted to watch the big three networks, I'd watch the big three networks.   I turn to channels like ID because I'm looking for something different, so it's really annoying when the bullshit I'm trying to escape starts showing up on my alternative channels, too.  I have zero desire to watch anything about OJ, Jean Harris, Jon Benet Ramsey or any of the so-called mysteries those shows have done to death over the years.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5

It feels like ID has abandoned much of its original programming.   Web of Lies and Fear Thy Neighbor were my favorites, but they do only a handful of episodes every season. 

Of course, godawful Brenda Strong and Blood Relatives is still around.   Guess they rented all those bugs, so they have to do something with them (I swear, there was even a walking stick in one episode).

Now the programming seems overwhelmed by repackaged reruns of Barbara Walter interviews, Paula Zahn, Dateline, 48 Hours and the rest of the rehashed primetime network garbage.   If I wanted to watch the big three networks, I'd watch the big three networks.   I turn to channels like ID because I'm looking for something different, so it's really annoying when the bullshit I'm trying to escape starts showing up on my alternative channels, too.  I have zero desire to watch anything about OJ, Jean Harris, Jon Benet Ramsey or any of the so-called mysteries those shows have done to death over the years.

I can't tell you how much I hate the insects, lizards, snakes, etc. on Blood Relatives. So much so I quit watching it. Totally takes me out of the story and grosses me out, especially when the bugs are crawling around on the food.

I was watching Fatal Vows yesterday. That show is pretty well done. But the trend towards showing old network shows and rehashing media saturated crimes is boring. And why is Barbara Walters being so sympathetic to the criminals? Weird.

• Love 2

I couldn't watch Barbara Walters long enough to even determine whether she's sympathetic.   I hate her.   HATE her.   She jumped the shark back when Gilda Radner was poking fun at her but she just refuses to go away.   How old is she now, 110?   And if I didn't already have sufficient reason to dislike her, she's responsible for inflicting that round table of shitheads a.k.a. The View on human civilization.

I just looked at the rest of today's ID schedule -- nothing but 48 Hours and Paula Zahn.

• Love 6

Ok, I admit it, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's episode of American Scandals, which features Kimberly Mays, who was switched at birth, spent years proclaiming that she considered the man who raised her to be her dad, then ran away to her biological family. I've always wondered how that turned out.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1

I've always wondered what happened to Kimberly Mays too, smittykins. On the topic of much mourned ID shows, my greatest loss is the Disappeared series.  It introduced the viewers to all kinds of fascinating cases--that's where I first heard of the McStay and Jamison family disappearances.  It also showcased many disappearances that may have been well known in their regional areas, but not across the whole U.S.  Of the newer shows, I really like A Crime to Remember.  Homicide Hunter is a big favorite too.

Now the programming seems overwhelmed by repackaged reruns of Barbara Walter interviews, Paula Zahn, Dateline, 48 Hours and the rest of the rehashed primetime network garbage.

I hate to admit that I don't mind the reruns, as I rarely catch the originals in prime time.  My biggest complaint is that all of these shows cover the same cases, over and over again.  There are a lot of weird/outrageous cases out there, but it is probably less work for the network to just go over the same old ground.

I couldn't watch Barbara Walters long enough to even determine whether she's sympathetic.   I hate her.   HATE her.   She jumped the shark back when Gilda Radner was poking fun at her but she just refuses to go away.   How old is she now, 110?   And if I didn't already have sufficient reason to dislike her, she's responsible for inflicting that round table of shitheads a.k.a. The View on human civilization.

Agree that she should have retired at least 15 years ago.  Not being ageist here, as there are older journalists/entertainers that I don't mind, but she's been past her sell date for a while now.  Much bitterness on my part, because if I had her money, I'd be traveling the world, catching all the new Broadway shows, and generally enjoying myself.

Edited by Yokosmom
  • Love 5

I just watched another re-run of the Darlie Routier story. My question: When will this bitch die? For fuck's sake, I'll inject her, tell me when and where.

DNA released this June show no intruder.  Only Darlie.

https://youcouldbewrong.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/dr-06262015103716.pdf

Her request to have them sealed.  Why? Because it just proves there is zero evidence of an intruder.

http://justice4ever.com/wp-content/uploads/Darlie-Court-Order-DNA-sealed_edited.jpg

Suz at Large and all other Joe Kenda fans:

Today (cyber Monday) there's a sitewide 30%-off sale on all Discovery merchandise, including Homicide Hunter stuff. Suz, check out the Christmas ornament, the blankie, the tote and lots more.

Use code CYBER for discount.

Happy Monday :)

http://store.discovery.com/homicide-hunter-joe-kenda-standee/detail.php?p=597608&v=investigation-discovery_shows_homicide-hunter

Love the Wives with Knives cutting board.  Too funny!  I didn't buy it, but was tempted to get the "I'd Rather Be Watching ID" tote.  Thanks for the link, sleekandchic

• Love 2

Suz at Large and all other Joe Kenda fans:

Today (cyber Monday) there's a sitewide 30%-off sale on all Discovery merchandise, including Homicide Hunter stuff. Suz, check out the Christmas ornament, the blankie, the tote and lots more.

Use code CYBER for discount.

Happy Monday :)

http://store.discovery.com/homicide-hunter-joe-kenda-standee/detail.php?p=597608&v=investigation-discovery_shows_homicide-hunter

Thank you! I've had my eye on a Kenda mug for a while. 

Not to victim shame here, but sometimes people do things (marry or move in with someone after knowing them 3 weeks, continue to send thousands of dollars to a "boyfriend" they've never met, etc), that just have you rolling your eyes. Case in point: today I saw the Web of Lies episode about the guy whose leg got blown up by a pipe bomb. He saw it in the driveway, said it looked like a pipe bomb, so, instead of picking it up, he kicked it. Oy. It's just so hard to have sympathy sometimes. 

Having said that, it was a very interesting episode, but I was SHOCKED that the bomber spent so little time in jail. With the havoc he caused and his multiple, sickening crimes, I would think he should have gotten a life term. 

• Love 5

The pipe bomb I remember was sent to the kid who spent his time scamming people selling bad electronic things, then refusing refunds.

I had a bit a sympathy with the sender.

No, that was a different story. This kid wasn't doing anything wrong, and it was his dad that got his leg blown off. 

• Love 1

On a Forensic Files, they found a man's body, sans head and arms.
They ended up identifying him by DNA, but I wondered, since they did have his feet, and were pretty sure of his identity, couldn't they use his footprints, if they could idenifty his birth hospital?
I've always wondered why this resource is ignored, except for baby mixups.

Was that the one where the sister sent it for the brother in jail?

No, that was yet another bombing story (and now I'm shocked at how many there are of them). This was the one that involved the creepy 40-something-year-old pedophile who didn't like when his 14-year-old girlfriend moved on to someone her own age. 

• Love 2

I like the reruns of Dateline and 48 Hours too. I don't usually watch them when they first air so most of the episodes are new to me.

I used to like Paula Zahn but the stories are all so similar that I don't watch it much anymore. A beautiful young mother found murdered... A beautiful young bride disappears... A beautiful young co-ed vanishes... Just about every story is solved twenty years after the crime with DNA evidence.

Anyway, I don't mind some of the cheesier shows but some are too corny for my taste and they feature the same cases over and over.

I admit that I liked Scorned when it first came out but I quit watching it awhile ago because they cases have been covered a million times already. I also don't mind Fatal Vows, Your Worst Nightmare and Fear Thy Neighbor. They're not the best shows but most of the cases are new to me so I'll still watch them.

I'm still bitter about Disappeared being cancelled and the only new show that I really like is Chris Hanson's show. I know I'm alone in this but I like Aphrodite Jones too.

Edited by grumpypanda
  • Love 5

No, that was yet another bombing story (and now I'm shocked at how many there are of them). This was the one that involved the creepy 40-something-year-old pedophile who didn't like when his 14-year-old girlfriend moved on to someone her own age.

I haven't seen this one yet.

And I don't see Aphrodite Jones on anymore, and haven't for several months.

Anyone else watch the Barbara Walters show with Kimberly Mays? I know the woman has been through hell so I feel mean for saying this but damn she grew up to be quite a loser. Six kids by four different men, two divorces, lost custody of her oldest kid and hasn't seen him in fifteen years, pregnant and homeless, stripping and to top it all off she blew through millions of dollars and is now working at a call center. But she claims her life is practically perfect now.

She really annoyed me when she got all high and mighty saying she didn't believe in abortion. Apparently she doesn't believe in birth control either.

Edited by grumpypanda
  • Love 6

Did the show say if she had therapy? If so, obviously did not work. Or she had a bad therapist or didn't do the work required in therapy.

Did she say if she keeps in touch with either side?

I don't recall her talking about therapy but her father, Robert Mays passed away a few years ago. She was estranged from him at the time of his death over some money issues.

She isn't in contact with her biological family either. I believe she said that she hadn't spoke to her bio mom, Regina Twigg in ten years.

Edited by grumpypanda
  • Love 2

And I think I only saw three kids at the table, so what about the other two? Are they being raised by their fathers as well?

And IMHO, although I hate to say it, Regina Twigg seems like a nutcase, "Mah baybee was STOLEN FROM ME!!!"

• Love 2

Thanks for the description of the Kimberly Mays interview--I totally forgot that it was on.  I'm sorry that I missed it. She does sound like a wreck.  She needed some real therapy when all of this went down and I suspect that she didn't get any.  I think that her life simply fell apart after that.  I really think that the Twigg family should have waited until she was older to contact her--they didn't seem to have any common sense about the situation at all and seemingly believed that she would just became a part of their family in an instant (from what I can remember).  Hate to say it, but from your description, her oldest kid is probably better off without contact.

• Love 2

Regina Twigg did come off as a total nutcase. I don't blame her for wanting a relationship with Kimberly but the way she went about it was all wrong. I don't necessarily think that the Twigg family should have waited until Kim was an adult to make contact but they should have taken things slow so the kid could adjust to things.

I don't think Robert Mays helped matters either. I think he purposely tried to poison Kim's relationship with her bio family. It's very telling to me that six months after Kim was granted a divorce from her bio parents she went on to live with them for two years.

Anyway, I believe Kim has custody of her other five children but for whatever reason only three were shown. Maybe the other two just didn't want to be on camera or were visiting their fathers that day. I didn't think much of it.

• Love 2

Is anyone else watching the docudrama Badlands, Texas on NatGeo?   It's different and quite interesting so far (2 episodes of 8).

Episodes available On Demand : http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/badlands-texas/

Articles (with spoilers) : http://bigbendnow.com/2015/12/national-geographic-channel-airs-controversial-docudrama-about-terlingua/

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2015/11/badlands-texas-may-be-the-next-great-reality-series/

• Love 2

Apparently Regina Twigg's personal vendetta against the Mays continued during Kimberly's time with her.  Kimberly's  remarks suggested that Regina trash talked both her father and her deceased mother, as well as the grandparents.  Kimberly also stated that Regina should have properly grieved the loss of her daughter before embarking on her crusade to gain custody of Kimberly.  I'd say Regina was unhinged - she certainly came across that way in her interviews, and psychological evidence presented in court seems to confirm this.

Damage done to kids often manifests in "adulthood", and therapy doesn't fix everything.  Sad case.

• Love 4

I thought it was horrible that Regina and her lawyer insisted on calling Kimberly "Arlena."  The lawyer even said Kimberly was dead and that she was Arlena. So incredibly insensitive to Kimberly, not to mention the memory of the daughter that died and that she loved as her own for nine years.  Very odd.  I wonder if it was a way to cope with the loss.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 4

I know we've discussed the True Crime Show Bingo Card before(either here or on the ID thread), but I thought it would be fun to see what additions we could come up with.

Mine:

Victim's SO* goes on TV to tearfully plead for her safe return, and ends up being the perpetrator.

*or parents if the victims are children

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 6

Has anyone watched Bad Blood.  I have and have liked it so far.  My heart did go out to Kevin Kyne in the death of his mother.  I would want to have some family members believe in me.  I was curious why he had the last name of his stepfather though.

The other one about the preacher, I believe he did it but I can see where the daughter may have been convinced of his innocence in the end. It is hard to be estranged from people you love.  

Does anyone have any thoughts, I know from my other post about this that I was alone in some of my thoughts.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying it too, applecrisp.  I was so glad the sisters reunited.  The other one about Kevin, I haven't finished, but I remember seeing that story on another one of the shows, and I didn't know that he had a new trial and had been found not guilty.  I'd like to see a show just about that.

ETA, I finished the one about Kevin, and can I say how much I love Aunt Joanie?  He needs to hang with her if he wants to move forward in his life.  You can sit on your pity pot for a bit, but then you've got to move on.

Edited by tobeannounced

The most recent Your Worst Nightmare (which I'm really enjoying) was creepy as hell. The guy was like the terminator. I can't even imagine.

I vaguely remember the Kimberly Mays story from when I was younger. It's really sad to see how she turned out. She was such a sweet, soft-spoken teenager and you could just imagine that she'd grow up to be a teacher or counselor or some other noble profession but her parents (all of them) seem to have done a number on her.

• Love 6

The latest A Crime To Remember was about a triple murder that took place during Easter Weekend in 1937, and that received a lot of press because one of the victims was a 20 year old women who posed for "true crime" magazines.

It was well done, but I wish they wouldn't use cases that old.  The case isn't beyond living memory, but there aren't many people alive today who could have an adult memory of the case or or life in 1937.  In short, there aren't many people alive today from my grandparents' generation (none of my grandparents are).  I prefer cases from my parents' generation.  Even if my mother doesn't remember a particular case, I can at least get her perspective on the times.

• Love 1