Type keyword(s) to search

Life In Pieces - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Never saw this show, but when I saw Ann Morgan Guilbert on the screen, I had to watch.  Are all this episodes this disjointed?  Four or so minutes per story?  I kept thinking she would be back later in the episode.  (She's 87!  Was much younger than I thought when she was Millie Helper!) 

Yes, that's the premise of the show. Each episode is 4 different short stories about 4 couples at different stages in their relationship - although many of the segments focus more on the family and less on a single couple. The stories rarely tie into one another. 

Many of the people on this forum dislike the format, although I actually kind of like it :)

The "annoying cousin" story line is one every family sitcom is obligated to do. I guess? A little over the top for me, but it had a few good moments.

Tyler and his girlfriend were great with Gigi.

I loved how they showed us the solution to sleeping on the couch. Linger on the TV in the bedroom, then slowly pan over to reveal all the cushions are on the bed too.

And the solution th the soccer story line was a good one. It's hard to find original stories for a sitcom, so if the best you can do is take that typical plot and twist it in a new direction then this show does an incredible job with it some times.

• Love 2

Gee Greg Grunberg sure is getting a lot of work lately; just finished Heroes Reborn, was on Mysteries of Laura Wednesday and this show on Thursday. It's like he knows somebody. 

Liked the story with the grandma even if it was a little bittersweet and sad. The one with Greg falling asleep on the sofa was kind of dumb though and so was Cousin Mikey. 

I guess this is where an argument can be made in favor of the current four-story format. If the whole episode had been about the grandma, it would have been good. But if the whole episode had been about the cousin, it would have sucked. So maybe it's best they don't spend an entire episode on one story since their ideas are kind of hit or miss. And I don't think the story about Greg and the sofa could fill out an entire episode.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

The soccer segment was definitely my fav, and the little kiss on the forehead when the little girl told her uncle she was going to shred the comment cards was just the perfect touch.

I have really got to learn their names.

• Love 2

I love to watch Colin Hanks. I was never a particular fan of his dad, never thought Tom Hanks was anything special as an actor at all, but Colin is HILARIOUS to me, in every role I've seen him in. If you like him here, you should try to find and watch "The Good Guys" (a one season TV show where he and Bradley Whitford are cop partners). The nuance in his eyerolls alone is genius-- I never really thought there could be more than one way to give an eyeroll, but this guy speaks more ways with that gesture than some people say with their whole body.

Also: the "rice husband" was funny to me.

That couple bickers a lot, but I like that in the end it wasn't that he didn't want to sleep with her, it was just something about the "screen effect" and the couch. So weird, but harmlessly so. I don't like comedy based on couples who hate each other, so I like that this show is really consistent about the couples actually getting along and valuing each other, even if they have some bumps along the way.

And the comment cards-- haha!! As a kid who psucked at most sports, I love that they showed some kids would prefer not to be played. I love that uncle-- he's hit or miss as a boyfriend, brother, or son, but as an uncle he is THE BEST.

I was OK with the great-grandma story, appreciated what it was doing even if it was not rip-roaringly funny to me.

Uncle Mikey was my least favorite. I tend to agree that Mikey was obnoxious and everyone needed to enforce some boundaries on him. You don't do yourself or him a favor by letting him get by without learning any basic respect or social skills. Greg G has a vulnerability to him that makes it hard to completely hate his characters, but still-- Mikey needed an intervention. At least the bulk of the family was in agreement about this, even if they were too cowardly to stick with it. In the end, it seemed like they went back to the bbq to support their mom, not out of guilt about not wanting to be around Mikey. But it would have been better if they had found a way to actually deal with the situation, not just put up with it. UM seemed like a pathetic person more than a genuinely malicious one, but he was still beyond the tolerance point with the roughhousing and so on. Very bad example for the kids, to let that go. So, all in all, that story was a total dud and not funny at all, to me.

• Love 3

And the comment cards-- haha!! As a kid who psucked at most sports, I love that they showed some kids would prefer not to be played. I love that uncle-- he's hit or miss as a boyfriend, brother, or son, but as an uncle he is THE BEST.

In general, the parents of the sports-challenged kids think that, if their kid doesn't get to play as much as the others, their kid's self esteem will take a hit.  Meanwhile, the sports-challenged kids usually know they are not as good as the others and are fine with warming the bench because they don't want to be the reason the team loses  

Many parents put their kids into team sports so they can learn about teamwork, but the kids understand the concept of doing what is best for the team better than the parents do.  

• Love 3

It's tough to coach a team with kids that age. You want them to learn the basic rules and skills to play the game, but if they only lose they get discouraged.

Going off topic: I coached a team that age, and I tried to play everyone, but I made sure that the 2 or 3 weakest players weren't out there at the same time. I taught basic skills and teamwork and our team was getting beaten by teams that would let the strongest kids do all the scoring. But one game the little girl who NEVER scored put in the winning point, and the team picked her up and carried her around the court on their shoulders. I know she'll remember that as long as she lives; I will too.

• Love 2

The thing is, your self-esteem is not built up by having all the kids ridicule and resent you for being a shitty player. If you think being bullied will make your kid happier, think again. It's not enough to just play the kids, you have to foster an atmosphere where they are able to actually participate and not just fall on their faces while the other kids mock them and grow resentful. Mary Mitch, it sounds like you are doing a good job, but I think there are a lot of coaches and parents who don't manage this situation well. I think this is the first time I've seen a TV show admit that the adults are often at odds with the kids in the "being benched" department. I loved how they didn't just show the benched kids sitting sadly doing nothing. They were amusing themselves and having a good time on the sidelines while the parents were stressing out.

• Love 2
When Tyler and Clementine go to a guitar store, Tyler gets uncomfortable when the attractive salesman, Ian, repeatedly hits on her. Also, Tim’s tattoo artist, Lois makes a spelling error on a tattoo he got as a Valentine’s Day surprise for Heather, Matt’s plan to celebrate Valentine’s Day with Colleen doesn’t go as well as he hoped, and Greg and Jen discuss whether they should have another baby

I missed this epi since my DVR doesn't like it when shows run over so I'm going to have to check On Demand. 

When John starts feeling old, he attempts to make himself look younger, much to the dismay of his family. Also, Heather worries that Sophia’s piano recital will be a disaster; Jen, Greg and Lark go to an over-the-top birthday party full of overachieving parents who make them panic about getting Lark into a good preschool; and Matt meets Colleen’s mother, Mia, for the first time.

Tim’s tattoo artist, Lois makes a spelling error on a tattoo he got as a Valentine’s Day surprise for Heather

Well, to be fair to Lois, Tim is the one who misspelled Heather's name.  He forgot the second h, so to cover he tried giving Heather the nickname "Heater", which, not so much...

I really liked this one. Although, that was not a stork you'd see in the wild in North America unless it escaped from a zoo.

It cracked me up in an evil way how everyone kept hitting the guy on his newly tattooed shoulder.

• Love 1

Well, to be fair to Lois, Tim is the one who misspelled Heather's name.  He forgot the second h, so to cover he tried giving Heather the nickname "Heater", which, not so much...

His handwriting was atrocious!  If I were a tattoo artist I would have drawn it out for him first anyway; don't they do that?

And now at least I can remember "Heather" is the name of the daughter.

I really liked this one. Although, that was not a stork you'd see in the wild in North America unless it escaped from a zoo.

I have never seen a stork before outside of baby announcements. They sure look like herons.

I missed this epi since my DVR doesn't like it when shows run over so I'm going to have to check On Demand. 

I had it set to record on the DVR, even confirmed it about an hour before seeing it properly highlighted on the guide that it would be recorded... and it failed to record.   This is not the first time that has happened with this show.  Now, after reading the comment above, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Big Bang Theory running over.

• Love 1
His handwriting was atrocious!  If I were a tattoo artist I would have drawn it out for him first anyway; don't they do that?

Haven't watched the epi yet, but based on my 2 tattoos, they draw it out on a paper and then transfer it to a different kind of paper that they use to transfer ink to your skin that they then trace with the tattoo needle and the tattoo ink (I think I'm explaining this poorly). So there's multiple opportunities to check and recheck before the real ink goes on. No tattoo artist worth their salt wants someone to be unhappy with their tattoo.

I don't know, I've seen an Internet click-bait story called "greatest tattoo fails" and there are some pretty hilarious misspellings among other stupidity. Maybe all tattoo artists don't have that much integrity. I imagine you sign some sort of waiver? Anyway, I thought the whole Heater thing was hilarious. Especially when Matt called from the restaurant and was like "That Worked? Really".

I thought this was a great episode and all the stories wove together seamlessly.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 1

It sounded like Tim was too eager to get out of the tattoo parlor to bother checking on whether the artist was doing it right. She should have asked him flat-out if he really wanted it to say "heater," just because that would be such an odd tattoo...but I can hand-wave that.

I'm glad they went with the "doctor has horrendous handwriting" cliche rather than the "tattoo artist is an idiot" cliche. In my experience, the former cliche is a lot more true to life.

Anyway, I loved this episode. I feel like the show just gets better and better.

My one complaint was that I wish they hadn't established that when Tim met Heather, he was bald with a mustache that connected to his sideburns. The two of them together is enough of a ridiculous example of the "hot wife/slobbish-looking husband" Hollywood trope...did they have to take it even further?

I loved this episode, and loved that at least twice in the other segments other family members were calling Heather 'Heater'. A recent 'Grandfathered' epi had the same premise where John Stamos's character was getting a tattoo of his granddaughter's name which is Edie but the tattoo artist spelt Eddie instead.

Kind of funny - though I am not sure if it is intentional - that the not-so-great-looking dad has a hot wife and the not-so-great-looking son has a hot girlfriend. I loved the guitar salesman who put on the Irish (or was it Scottish) accent for customers but was actually American.

I love this show, along with my other favourite that I have only recently discovered, 'The Grinder'. I hope neither end up being cancelled.

• Love 1

I just came back to add that to my post MaryMitch! It's funny because as I was watching the show I was thinking that the guy looked alot like Josh Groban! Then I rewatched with my hubby and noticed on the TV guide info about the epi that it was indeed Groban. I thought he did a great job!

• Love 2

It cracked me up in an evil way how everyone kept hitting the guy on his newly tattooed shoulder.

It is like how you never realize how much people touch you until you have a sunburn, or realize how much you swallow until you have a sore throat.

I thought this was a great episode and all the stories wove together seamlessly.

I thought this episode was the perfect example of how this show should be.  Separate stories told separately, but they have little bits that keep them connected.  Some of the other episodes felt more like they filmed a bunch of stories then figured out how to put them into episodes based on how much time they took.  The dinner reservation story, the stork story, and the tattoo/heater story all had connected somehow.  I don't remember anything in the guitar story that was a reference to anything else.  

So, now I know the following names - Lark is the baby, Heather is the daughter and the mom of the three kids.  I think that Heather's husband is Jimmy, but I might be making that up. 

I am horrible with names, and my not remembering the characters names doesn't surprise me - I often learn character names best from reading these forums.  However, with this show, everyone seems to be having as much trouble as I am.  Perhaps they don't use the names as much in the episodes as other shows do?  Maybe we should have a forum called "Who are these people?"

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 2

Heater's husband is Tim! I just think there are a ton of characters in a 22 minute show, so their names will take a while to learn since each only gets so much air time.

Yeah, it took me most of the first season to learn the names on Modern Family, and this is an even bigger cast.

So far I know Heather + TIm and their kids (Tyler, Samantha, Sophia) as well as Jen, who is Collin Hank's wife, and their daughter Lark.

They put up some outtakes from this episode on the CBS website.

I am still just learning names as well. And it took me a couple of epis to figure out how everyone was related. Even in this epi when the mother went to Jen and said "My baby is having a baby" I thought "I thought that was her daughter in law" which of course it is. I love James Brolin and Diane Wiest but had to look up their character names - John and Joan - as I didn't know them. I would like them to be on more but you can only do so much with 22 minutes.

I agree with needschocolate (and love that name as I need chocolate every day) that this epi was a perfect example of how the show should be, with at least most of the 4 segments connecting in some way. The funniest thing in this episode was that in the second segment when Matt calls Jen and Greg to ask them to come to dinner at the last minute Jen mentions that there are people on their lawn taking pictures of a bird. But the stork segment where the bird on the lawn comes into play is the last segment of the episode. Too funny.

This show reminds me of Modern Family (in its earlier and funnier years) where the whole family clicked from the start. I don't think there is a weak character in the group. I also love the names, like Lark for the baby. And particularily Clemetine for Tyler's girlfriend. They are so mismatched looks wise that it works. And her name suits her perfectly. I remember years ago when Cybill Shepherd had a daughter she named Clementine I thought what a horrible name, but it suits the character well.  Hunter King is also on The Young and the Restless and while I have never liked her on the soap I do like her on this show.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2

I am still just learning names as well. And it took me a couple of epis to figure out how everyone was related. Even in this epi when the mother went to Jen and said "My baby is having a baby" I thought "I thought that was her daughter in law" which of course it is. I love James Brolin and Diane Wiest but had to look up their character names - John and Joan - as I didn't know them. I would like them to be on more but you can only do so much with 22 minutes.

I agree with needschocolate (and love that name as I need chocolate every day) that this epi was a perfect example of how the show should be, with at least most of the 4 segments connecting in some way. The funniest thing in this episode was that in the second segment when Matt calls Jen and Greg to ask them to come to dinner at the last minute Jen mentions that there are people on their lawn taking pictures of a bird. But the stork segment where the bird on the lawn comes into play is the last segment of the episode. Too funny.

This show reminds me of Modern Family (in its earlier and funnier years) where the whole family clicked from the start. I don't think there is a weak character in the group. I also love the names, like Lark for the baby. And particularily Clemetine for Tyler's girlfriend. They are so mismatched looks wise that it works. And her name suits her perfectly. I remember years ago when Cybill Shepherd had a daughter she named Clementine I thought what a horrible name, but it suits the character well.  Hunter King is also on The Young and the Restless and while I have never liked her on the soap I do like her on this show.

That actually saved the last segment for me because it felt a little long.   And I did really like how they were tying the segments together.  Pretty much what I thought they could and should do from the start.  I'm in the minority though in that I did not like the Josh Groban character.  It was written and played a little too sleazy.  It would have made more sense if he was played as being somewhat attractive and therefore a threat.  Sometimes I think the show does not get nuance.   And not just because they cast Hanks and Bakkedahl or have the parents written as huge entitled selfish assholes. 

So many laugh out loud moments tonight. I loved the hair story (I wish more segments featured the parents). While the dad's hair was a little dark I do think there is a double standard where it isn't unusual for women to dye their hair (I would imagine the mom's is) but for men it is frowned upon. When I first met my mother in law she was 63 and had gray hair. A few years later she started dying it and now at 82 still dyes it dark brown.

The rainbow segment was a hoot. I loved the one mother saying she married a woman to move up a couple of places in the list to get her kid in the preferred pre school. That, and to have orgasms. Lol. Also loved the petting zoo with stuffed animals. All petting zoos, particuarlily at birthday parties should be stocked with stuffed animals.

Also loved the mom's ringtone in the last segment of the howling wolf. Too funny. Also realistic I think that Matt got dumped in the end.

So many laugh out loud moments tonight. I loved the hair story (I wish more segments featured the parents). While the dad's hair was a little dark I do think there is a double standard where it isn't unusual for women to dye their hair (I would imagine the mom's is) but for men it is frowned upon. When I first met my mother in law she was 63 and had gray hair. A few years later she started dying it and now at 82 still dyes it dark brown.

If it had just been the hair dye, maybe it wouldn't have been such a big deal, but the whole young skater style and persona he adopted to go with it took it over the top in to weird territory. If Joan suddenly started dressing and acting like a teenage, I think there would have been a similar reaction.

• Love 1

If it had just been the hair dye, maybe it wouldn't have been such a big deal, but the whole young skater style and persona he adopted to go with it took it over the top in to weird territory. If Joan suddenly started dressing and acting like a teenage, I think there would have been a similar reaction.

I didn't think his clothing in the store was OTT - I thought it was the fact that his hair was black that the clerk thought he was Joan's son. John actually wanted Joan to buy the leather jacket. In the end he didn't say that he would dress differently, he said he would stop dying his hair.

It gave me a chuckle as back when my hubby's brother was first dating his now wife he was in his early 40s and she her late 30s. He had (prematurely) gray hair and after they had been dating awhile she talked him into dying his hair. Then people that met him for the first time thought he was younger than she, so she made him stop dying it. Ha.

• Love 1

I am now loving this show!  The way they are FINALLY tying the storylines together is such a relief.  My only complaint still is James Brolin's character is still too dementia-like to suit me.  If they could figure him out then I think I'd be happy with them all.  I love Colin Hanks and his wife--- I'd watch a sitcom of just them.

• Love 1

Loved the episode, though the recital was weak. Too bad because Sophia is one of my favorite characters. Was very sad about the breakup, poor Matt.

My recording cuts off at 9:00, so it ended just after Colleen arrived and Greg left.  They were hugging when it cut off, so I had no idea she broke up with him until I read it here.  ;)

Loved the episode, though the recital was weak. Too bad because Sophia is one of my favorite characters. Was very sad about the breakup, poor Matt.

I usually like Sophia too, but thought the recital segment was annoying. I'm sure this puts me in the "get off my lawn!" category, but when I was a kid, there was no way I was going to get away with not practicing for a recital, whether I felt so inclined or not. It was odd to me that the parents were passively sitting by and dropping hints, hoping she'd decide to practice on her own. How about telling the kid to put down the candy bar and get to work? Of course if sitcom characters always did the logical thing, there'd be no stories, so there's that...

• Love 4

I didn't really understand why Sophia was taking piano lessons to start with. She obviously has no interest. It reminded me of my childhood when we got a piano and both my mom and I took piano lessons. I soon discovered that I could play by ear, and reading notes bored me. I dropped out and was lucky enough not to have parents who made me continue to take lessons when I had no interest. (Though I did continue to have fun playing by ear for several years). I have never agreed with parents making their kids take lessons in an extra curricular activity that does not interest the child. I remember having this conversation with a co worker many years ago.  She said she wished her parents had made her continue to take piano lessons as she would be able to play today. My answer to her was similar to Sophia's to her mother - that nothing was stopping her from taking lessons as an adult when she was actually now interested!

My comment above regarding Matt may have been premature. I stated that his breakup with Colleen was inevitable. I only started watching the show several weeks ago so did not know that Matt moved into his parents' garage due to a marriage ending. I assumed that he was single and loafing off his parents because he isn't terribly ambitious. (Not an uncommon thing unfortunately). Though it doesn't appear that he has kids so not sure why he couldn't afford his own place. Other than that it makes a funnier sitcom that he lives in his parents' garage and sponges off them - like bringing wine to a family dinner from his parents' wine rack. I'd have to watch the series from the start to see if I still feel that way. It is funny that Colleen's mother didn't know he had been married and referred to him as never having been married. But I do think as Greg said that Colleen was out of his league though she did seem to be good for him. Who knows, maybe they will get back together.

I didn't see the breakup coming : (   but it was so great to see Mercedes Ruehl again! 

Funnily enough, just the other day Big was on television (love that movie!) and I was wondering what Ruehl was up to and then just like that, she was on life in pieces!

This show cracks me up. James Brolin kills me in this role.So funny!

Joan isn't happy with John's new pet; Heather sends the wrong message to Tyler; Samantha tries to win back her boyfriend; Heather and Jen offer solace to Colleen and Matt.

I'm beginning to think James Brolin rolls up to set, they give him a cocktail and some props and then just follow him around with a camera.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 7

I love this show pretty much all the time, but this episode might have been the best one yet in terms of the various stories and how they balanced each other out. All were funny and the last ended on a nicely emotional note in regards to Matt's breakup. I laughed through a lot of the horse stuff. I like this goofy James Brolin (with a little heartbreak at its core because Sophia is growing up), but really it's Diane Wiest who sells it. Her reactions to Lemonade were perfect and that she got him the little dog, who promptly turned on her, loved.

Heather's sexting her son was perfectly done as well. From the moment where Tim shows her who actually received the text and she dropped her phone in horror to the last scene where she's lit up in the headlights and ordering Tyler and Clementine out of the car, genius. Then on to Greg and Jen at the mall and trying to help Sam with her boyfriend! So much funny there. Greg and the hat. Sam sneering at FB and explaining her deep love for the boy she's only texted and instagram'ed with. Greg and Jen pretending to be employees culminating in Greg starting to take his shirt off. I could go on.

And the last story about the breakup of Matt and Colleen, funny and touching.

What I really appreciate about the show is how well the actors play off of each other and how genuine each interaction feels (even the silly ones). These people really do feel like a family and no one is a caricature or too screechy or too doofus-y. 

• Love 2

I'm assuming Colleen and Matt will be back together fairly soon.

Her rationale for leaving him was pretty dumb if you ask me. "I have a history of dating guys like you, and it hasn't worked out" isn't a good reason to leave someone when things are going well.

I've always dated a certain type of guy. I had a bunch of unsuccesful relationships with them, until I met one who's perfect for me, and we've been together for 12 years. It would have been ridiculous for me to leave him a year into the relationship because my previous attempts to date guys like him didn't work out.

Her only reasons for thinking he's in love with love and not with her are because he's divorced, and he's an artist. I get that she doesn't want to turn into her mother, but dumping him was an extreme overreaction.

• Love 2