Type keyword(s) to search

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

blixie
  • Start Topic

I'll I can say is RUN do not walk to your local theater to see this near masterpiece by George Miller (as ever it could have lost 5-10 minutes and been that much better). Every frame is saturated with epic beauty, and an achievement in action choreography, the art direction is stunning. I was reminded while watching how often imagery of Millers films has been borrowed (Ghost of Mars, and Whedon's reavers most immediately come to mind), and it was joy to see him sort of re-appropriate his visual narrative and expand and improve on it with Immortan Joe, the War Boys, and their beautiful terrible machines.

Furiosa is pretty much my everything, Nick Hoult as Nux also does a great work, but while Hardy is incredibly generous in his lack of need to dominate the screen and story he still holds all the pieces together, in the way Max can and should.

• Love 11

I was glad I took the bus to the cinema, so that afterwards i could walk home. I was just too keyed up at first, needed to use up that adrenaline.

There were some fun things for me, like seeing Aussie HITGs here and there. But what the hell was with the doof wagon? The guitarist should be stone deaf after a couple of hours of that. Great image, but sort of jarring too. Also, I get that the evil regime was defeated at the end, yay. But turning on the water and leaving it on is going to lead to them running out sooner or later and the area will be fucked all over again. I know aquifers do contain a heap of water, but still. Some kind of roster system seems like a better idea.

I think turning it on was just symbolic, I'm sure they intended to learn their lesson about precious (if renewable) resource management (the heirloom seeds).

I do wish I understood better what exact issue made the War Boys in need of perpetual blood transfusions, I mean I assumed they had radiation sickness, but like only dudes had radiation sickness? Or only dudes could be War "boys"? Especially when Immortan Joe's favored/best warrior was a woman. I loved meta shout to Master Blaster in the form of

IJ's half wit hulk of one son, and the smarter half man/dwarf that was the other.

• Love 1

This morning, the WGN (in Chicago) film reviewer was completely plotzing over this movie. He called it a "visual and visceral masterpiece," said it was the most fun he'd at the movie theater in years, and even suggested that Charlize Theron could be nominated for an Oscar for her work.

I'm definitely going to see it tomorrow!

I went to see the film last night with 3 friends. When the film ended, the friend to the left turned to me and said "We made the wrong decision" (We had talked before and made the last minute decision to see it), the friends to the right were raving about how amazing it was. 

I hadn't (and still haven't) seen the original films, but I did not enjoy this film at all. 

It looked good, and a lot of the stunts were well done, but when that's all there is, it's not enough. There is next to no plot and the plot that is there, is so predictable and linear that it's hard to care about. After having seen the film, I only know the name of two characters. Max and Furiosa. I didn't feel any sense of caring toward any of them. The whole film was just noise.

I genuinely don't understand what people are seeing in it that I didn't.

• Love 5

To quote Chris Rock, that was nuttier than an Almond Roca.

I loved that a lot of the soundtrack was the fire-shooting guitar player with Immortan Joe's war party. And was it me or did Tom Hardy have more dialogue in the expository intro than in the rest of the movie?

• Love 2
(edited)

Just saw it and I thought it was a hell of a ride.  After maybe the first five minutes, it was just wall to wall action, with minor breaks that felt more like they were there just to let everyone catch their breathes, then anything else.  And it more then worked for me.  I loved that George Miller focused more on real effects then CGI, the look of it (a bright one, instead of the typical, post-apocalyptic dour looks in other films), all the stunts and choreography, and that Furiosa and the rest of the women were just as important (in Furiosa's case, maybe even more), as Max was to the film.

If I had a to pick a favorite character, it would probably be Furiosa.  Charlize Theron nailed it as I figured she would.  Nicholas Holt was a big surprise: I figured Nux was just going to be a kooky bad guy in the trailers, so seeing his journey was great to watch, and I bought him becoming an ally at the end.  And while more of the glue in the story, I still thought Tom Hardy held is own as Max.  He had the look, the attitude, and toughness, I would expect from the character.

While it was nice seeing the other female characters do a lot and not just be damsels, I do agree I never learned any of their names.  They were just "The Pregnant One, that's kind of the de facto leader", "The Short-haired one played by Zoe Kravitz", "The Red-Head, who ends up having a thing for Nux", "The Blonde who seems a bit off her rocker", and the "Long-Haired Brunette who starts as the weakest, but ends up stepping up at the end."  Still, I enjoyed the performances and was rooting for them to make it.  

I figured one would end up dying, but I was surprised it was the pregnant once since a) duh, the pregnant ones rarely die and b)Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was probably the most known actress of the group, outside of Zoe perhaps.

Can't say enough about the actions scenes. Besides all the car chases, that just seemed to keep topping each other as the film progressed, I loved the Max vs. Furiosa brawl, and all the factors that kept coming into play, like the rest of the women helping Furiosa, Max still being chained to Nux, and then he and Nux even started working together.

I am so picking up the soundtrack.  It was a perfect fit for all the moments in the film.

Enjoyed seeing all the Australian actors in minor roles.  Definitely spotted Melissa Jaffer from Farscape at one of the older women near the end.

Overall, huge fan.  Might even try and see it again.  A definite must-by DVD, which is rare for me these days.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4
(edited)

And was it me or did Tom Hardy have more dialogue in the expository intro than in the rest of the movie?

He has a LOT of really hilarious off the cuff dialogue (that I suspect might have been improvised?), BUT it's like barely audible because of the fact that he's doing his Hardy low growly thing in the midst of a loud ass car chase. My favorite is when he realizes

The War Boys have appropriated his car. "FIRST, my blood, now my CAR?!"

There were some other good dead pan asides and cracks, but I guess I'll have to see it again to remember them all.

Miller focused more on real effects then CGI, the look of it (a bright one, instead of the typical, post-apocalyptic dour looks in other films)

Agreed, one thing I find interesting is that one of the most noticeable CGI/Digital effects was the way he had the characters eyes gleaming, hyper surreally colorized, it seemed like the most natural thing about an actor he wanted to actually make you feel was fake. Ahh I have to see this again ASAP.

Edited by blixie

I loved it. So many contemporary popcorn movies are all CGI, and the effect is like watching someone else play a video game, which is not my idea of a fun way to spend 2.5 hours.

But this movie is so visually beautiful, and so visually *original* that it never flags. A work of genius if you ask me.

• Love 3

I love action movies and I always have but I realized after seeing AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON that I am beyond tired of CGI laden films.  MAD MAX: FURY ROAD is a breath of fresh air.  There really isn't much of a plot just survival and getting away from a tyrant.....it's just a constant adrenaline rush.  A big thanks to George Miller for the live-action and the good editing.  Charlize Theron is the heart of the movie and Tom Hardy the glue.  Nicholas Hoult was a nice surprise.  The Namib Desert setting was beautiful but so harsh.  If you haven't seen the original MAD MAX movies, then treat yourselves so you know what to expect.  This new MAX does not take away from the old ones, it just adds to this world.

• Love 4

I love action movies and I always have but I realized after seeing AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON that I am beyond tired of CGI laden films.  MAD MAX: FURY ROAD is a breath of fresh air.  There really isn't much of a plot just survival and getting away from a tyrant.....it's just a constant adrenaline rush.  A big thanks to George Miller for the live-action and the good editing.  Charlize Theron is the heart of the movie and Tom Hardy the glue.  Nicholas Hoult was a nice surprise.  The Namib Desert setting was beautiful but so harsh.  If you haven't seen the original MAD MAX movies, then treat yourselves so you know what to expect.  This new MAX does not take away from the old ones, it just adds to this world.

I too really enjoyed it.  I was a little surprised at how much.  I watched the three originals probably a dozen times a piece when I was a kid and I like that it wasn't really a remake of them, but rather a continuation of that world.  I was actually really impressed with the acting, especially with the fact that there was so little dialogue.  Charlize Theron is fantastic and both her and Tom Hardy did a lot with just looks and facial expressions. My only quibble is that I had a hard time understanding some of the actors, even in the few quieter scenes.  I usually don't have a problem with accents, so maybe it was the sound mix at the theater I saw it in.

• Love 1

I LIVE.  I DIE.  I LIVE AGAIN!

For a movie with so little exposition the worldbuilding is astounding.  The various factions, yes, but also Immortan Joe and his pseudo-Nordic warrior cult of Warboys.  You can get a very thorough understanding of Joe and the Warboys' motivations just by piecing together the scraps of information as they are delivered.  It's a perfect example of "show don't tell" storytelling.

VIP of the film is either Furiosa or Nux.  I can't decide.  Charlize Theron deserves award nominations for her role as Furiosa (and at least 40% of the script must be acting directions for her eyes) and I'm a sucker for redemption arcs.

• Love 8

Very good movie. Thin on plot but very impressive, non-stop engine. At two hours, it absolutely never wore out its welcome unlike so many films nowadays. Charlize Theron was great.  Tom Hardy was really good too.

Nicholas Hoult was Nux?!  Didn't realize that, I agree that he was terrific.  Wonderful direction, cinematography and world-building.

I absolutely loved this movie. I seriously contemplated buying a ticket for the next showing before deciding to wait until tomorrow to see it again. It's the best movie I've seen this year.

It was like George Miller took the best part of The Road Warrior and turned it into a 2 hour movie. It was so visually stunning and the action was clear and easy to follow; it was like anti-Transformers. All the glorious practical effects with little CGI, lots of wide shots, and no shaky camera work.

The world-building was incredible, particularly since the movie isn't exposition/dialogue heavy (of course, Max was never a loquacious dude). It never felt thin in that regard; it felt like this world could actually exist. 

I was really impressed with Charlize Theron, Tom Hardy, and Nicholas Hoult. Theron was the standout for me (Furiosa was an amazing character), though Hardy and Hoult definitely held their own. Hardy had the look and attitude of Max, even had some hilarious dialogue/moments, and was the guy who held it all together. Hoult was great as Nux and I really enjoyed his character arc. And as a Farscape fan it was nice to see Melissa Jaffer (Noranti with guns!).

Mad Max: Fury Road was like an 80s action movie, and that's a compliment. Most action movies in recent years haven't been very good, and this movie was like returning to those great action movies of the 1980s.

• Love 7

OH MY SWEET JESUS was this one badass insane beautiful piece of art that I just witnessed. My eyes were glued and my adrenaline up for the full two hours, and how gratifying was it to see so many women being so essential to the plot and action. 

• Love 10

Just saw it this adternoon, with my 75 year old dad, for his birthday. Dad's comment afterwards was "Not much plot there." I told him the plot is beside the point in a Mad Max movie; it's all about the car chases and the style. I told him that before the film, actually, but he didn't know I was being serious!

Personally, I loved it! Loved Hardy's Max, really loved Hoult's WarBoy, and simply adored Theron's kickass Furiosa!!! Having the chases being about women who were not damsels in distress but proactive women taking charge of themselves and their bodies was just terrific.

"Oh, what a day, what a lovely day!"

Just got back from seeing this, and I'm still trying to catch my breath. While this is pretty much Charlize Theron's movie, Nicholas Hoult more than held his own, and Tom Hardy was the underpinning that kept everything together. I may have to see it again just so I can process it all. It moves so fast most of the time that I must have missed things. But it was indeed a lovely day.

My only quibble is that I had a hard time understanding some of the actors, even in the few quieter scenes.  I usually don't have a problem with accents, so maybe it was the sound mix at the theater I saw it in.

I also had a hard time understanding some of the dialogue. Didn't know what to expect, but a few of the people I saw it with really wanted to see it and were convincing me with the awesome rating this has on rotten tomatoes. It was good and I'm glad a saw it. Hoults character is my favourite.

A pretty subtle plot point that I liked was that, in contrast to the first three films, at the end Max walks away from the victorious, instead of being left behind by them. It solidifies the fact that he is a lone warrior, not one of the crowd.

(edited)

I've been reading some of the reviews. The New Yorker's is fun to read; not only did it remind me of a great moment (when Max misses the headlight in the swamp and then hands off the gun to Furiosa, with no discernible hesitation of being out-shot by a woman, and then offers his shoulder as her gun-support), it also has some terrific references and imagery of its own:

Miller's directorial instincts] connect Miller not so much to the panicky despots of the modern blockbuster, like Michael Bay, as to directors of Hollywood musicals, and to the early choreographers of the chase, in the wordless days when pictures lived by motion alone. In “Mad Max: Fury Road,” the Polecats—aggressors who arc from one vehicle to another, in mid-race, on the end of long stakes—are the descendants of Buster Keaton, who, in “Three Ages,” fell from a roof through three awnings and clutched at a drainpipe, which swung him out into the void and back through an open window...All this is such fun, and it teeters so close to insanity, with a hundred and fifty vehicles at Miller’s disposal, and with a pack of cameras sent into the fracas like baying hounds on a scent, that you come out asking, Why is this movie not an unholy mess?

For anyone who denied that “Titus Andronicus” could ever be mashed up with “The Cannonball Run,” here is your answer, and we are only too happy to follow Nux as he cries, “What a lovely day!,” and accelerates into a whirlwind of fire. Enjoy the movie, but for God’s sake don’t drive home.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

I agree, some of the great work done here with the Plot is that it's not laid out in expository detail, it's there, you just have to pick up on it. I loved how the various characters of the motley crew took charge in the height of the situation when it was required, but were an overall council on their decisions during the "stop and think moments"

• Love 2
(edited)

I watched this in IMAX 3D on Saturday and loved it!  It was really non stop action,so much so that during the quiet moments I felt like gasping for air.  I was swayed after seeing the 99% rating Rotten Tomatoes gave it and the trailer with Nux saying what a lovely day. There was something so manic and hyped about the way that line was delivered that struck an adrenaline junkie chord within me.

I had a hard time understanding some of the dialogue but I don't feel like I missed too much.  Furiousa and Max were quite the team and I loved seeing them go toe to toe with each other and eventually work together.  I wanted to see more of the rocker guy because when he and the drummers started playing it really revved it up to an even higher level.  I wanna see the originals now especially the one with Tina Turner.

Edited by funkopop

but were an overall council on their decisions during the "stop and think moments"

Ahh this is a great point, and I think it's another feminist beat, that "trick of cooperation", as Germaine Greer said the opposite of Patriarchy isn't Matriarchy but *fraternity*.

I wanted to see more of the rocker guy because when he and the drummers started playing it really revved it up to an even higher level.

I read a post on reddit describing The Doof's creepy backstory,

apparently his mother/family were murdered and Immortan Joe found him in the aftermath playing music, and IJ adopted him, but in honor of his mother he wore a mask made of her FACE.

So I am very grateful for no close up shots of him. Heh.

Ahh this is a great point, and I think it's another feminist beat, that "trick of cooperation", as Germaine Greer said the opposite of Patriarchy isn't Matriarchy but *fraternity*.

I read a post on reddit describing The Doof's creepy backstory,

apparently his mother/family were murdered and Immortan Joe found him in the aftermath playing music, and IJ adopted him, but in honor of his mother he wore a mask made of her FACE.

So I am very grateful for no close up shots of him. Heh.

Now that you mention IJ, I could have sworn his son was wearing a belt with a baby's (a dead sibling, maybe) face on the buckle area.

• Love 1

For anyone who hasn't seen the original three films yet, understand that they are very different from each other and from the new one, except for the action scenes, which are uniformally pretty darn awesome (except for the first film--I've only seen it once, wasn't impressed, and only have vague memories of any action scenes in that film at all). Even though Thunderdome does not have a good rep, at least not by critics, I personally think that the Bartertown segments (basically, anything with Tina Turner and her cronies/adversaries) is some of the best stuff in the first three films--it's the other half of the film, with the kids, that gets weird, even though it does more world-building, which is always good.

• Love 1

The first one has great action scenes! It opens on a ten minute chase, with a car going through a caravan. Miller had it right from the start.

I saw this movie over the weekend and I absolutely love it. This has to be the finest movie that I ever saw and I love it.

Now that you mention IJ, I could have sworn his son was wearing a belt with a baby's (a dead sibling, maybe) face on the buckle area.

It looked liked a baby doll's face loaded with spikes and leather. 

The first one is interesting because there's still the remains of a civilization: police, courts, businesses--but you can see it's all falling apart, and the monsters, led by Toecutter (same actor who plays Immortan Joe), are the future. The second, The Road Warrior, is IMO the best of the original 3, and resembles Fury Road in many ways. I like it for its clear delineation between civilization and barbarism. I did not care for the muddled and relatively muted Thunderdome.

(edited)

It looks like Miller is willing to make a 5th Mad Max... if this movie makes any money:

After a long-delayed production, Mad Max: Fury Road finally made its way into theaters this past weekend, and shocked audiences around the globe. After some mild early box office estimates, the film has managed to succeed thanks to extremely positive buzz, and has so far been performing well. But does this mean that we could soon see a sequel? According to writer/director George Miller, it seems like a very real possibility.

To this point, Miller has been pretty quiet about the idea of making another sequel in the Mad Max series, but it now seems that silence has been broken. The Australian filmmaker joined Twitter this weekend, and used the social media tool to announce that we should expect more Mad Max stories in the future:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Mad-Max-5-Happen-Here-What-Director-Says-71502.html

Edited by TVSpectator

I love when good word of mouth can reward excellent film making.

This was just an amazing experience. It was just so so GOOD! I heard all the hype, but I was afraid I would be disappointed, but it was amazing. I`m almost sad that it was this early in the Summer, because now every other Summer blockbuster will live in the shadow of this work of awesomeness. 

Tom Hardy is always great, and he is an amazingly generous actor. He was what kept the whole movie together and grounded, without overwhelming it. Charlize Theron, was a freaking force of nature. So fierce and intense, but very human. Nicholas Hoult has so much freaking range. Watching this, I was amazed that it was the same guy who played nerdy young Beast in X Men. He did a great job, and I loved his whole arc. And the wives were all wonderful too. Even if I had to look up their characters names, they all has distinct personalities, and reactions to things. 

Lots of interesting world building as well. Its interesting to see the Mad Max world become more filled with actual tribes and civilizations (even if they are REALLY messed up ones). 

My only problem? I want more! And now, a sequel hopefully is giving it to me! It truly is a lovely day. 

• Love 7

So I just rewatched the first one. And noticed a couple of interesting things. First, one of the gang members uses a long pole to get onto a fuel truck. Also, there's a badass old woman! I don't know her name, but she holds the gang at gunpoint, and later takes a shot at them. She misses, but at least she tries. So it's clear some ideas stuck in the back of Miller's mind all this time.

I'm going to see Fury Road again tomorrow, and I'm taking my mum. She likes action and SF movies, but real life interfered last week. Should be interesting to hear her thoughts on it. Anyway, I might notice more connections between first and current.

• Love 1

Toecutter (same actor who plays Immortan Joe)

Toecutter/Immortan Joe was played by Hugh Keays-Byrne, and I didn't recognize him because of the mask. Byrne played Lord Vile way back in 1989's The Blood of Heroes, a similar character.

Clever. I bet it makes more sense if I'd seen Kimmy Schmidt. Anyway, I saw Fury Road again. Funny thing. After Max wakes up when the sandstorm is passed, he sees a truck, half a dozen beautiful women, water, and bolt cutters. His dream come true.

And Road Warrior parallels. A dud shotgun shell. Wez uses a pole to escapt the refinery. People strapped to the front of a car. A big rig equipped for battle.

And you know what? I didn't like RW that much. Currently I prefer the original Max. There's something about a society in decay. People are trying to hold it together, and pretty much failing. RW, it feels like society has hit its lowest point, which I find quite depressing.

Ok, full disclosure here: I had never seen any Mad Max movie before a week ago. I saw the trailer for Fury Road and said "wow, that looks awful". Then I saw how highly it was rated and, after coercion from friends and the husband, I consented to watch the Mad Max trilogy in preparation to watch the new one.

I absolutely fucking hated the first Mad Max. HATED IT. Was ready to turn it off after half an hour.

The second one was fine and the third one was ok.

We saw the new one in DBox (where the chairs move) and that ended up being a very good decision! :)

It's funny because, after watching Fury Road, I wasn't sure whether I liked it. Only now, days later, I think I can say that I did. It's weird because I have a lot of complaints about it, but there was also a lot in its favour. It was visually stunning and it was so lovely to see kickass ladies without it really being mentioned within the movie. Max didn't say or appear surprised that the lovely young breeders pitched in and helped defend the rig, themselves and each other. I LOVED that the pregnant chick used herself as a shield to protect Furiosa, knowing that Joe wouldn't risk harming her or the baby.

I didn't know that Nicholas Hoult was in this but surprised myself by immediately recognizing him. Glad they gave him a complex character, rather than a one-note baddie.

I did not understand how this world worked. I didn't understand how the Citadel and its citizens functioned; I didn't understand the blood transfusion stuff; I didn't understand how the breeders, who are so precious to Joe, managed to be smuggled out and stored in the rig for so long, and no one noticed their absence (I have trouble believing they weren't under guard); I didn't understand why, in a world where gas is precious, roughly 8 million vehicles were sent out to retrieve the breeders; I didn't understand why, in a world where gas is precious, you would waste a vehicle on a fucking human stereo system; I didn't understand how/where the remaining "green place" survivors were living; I didn't understand why the Citadel's citizens were totally fine with Furiosa returning with Joe's dead body and readily accepted her as his replacement.

But, despite all that, I have to conclude that I enjoyed the movie. It was a visual spectacle with surprisingly strong female characters and the lead female was disabled and kicked ten kinds of ass.

On the shallow side, I was sad that Tom Hardy's face was covered for most of the movie. I was having unpleasant Bane flashbacks. :D

• Love 4
(edited)

I understand your points, and agree with most of them. But hell, what a spectacle. That's the whole point of the movie, not to show a functioning post-apocalyptic society. A Canticle for Leibowitz is good at that, IIRC. :)

Later. Man, Thunderdome really feels like two different movies. The first part, Bartertown, is all about making hard choices and living with them. Suddenly it's about these kids and the little paradise they've built? There should really be a little more compare and contrast between them, make them twisted reflections of each other. Suggest that the ideal society lies somewhere in between. Switching between the two is jarring. Also, it's uncomfortable watching all this teen flesh prance across the screen. Say what you like about the fanservicey wives in Fury Road, at least they're all legal.

Outside the plot... even in the big ending action scene, it's clear Miller's heart wasn't in it. Too torn up by the death of friend and producer Byron Kennedy. The scene just doesn't have the same spark as all the others. There's some attempts at comedy in there that just fall flat too. Furthermore, the others don't flinch away from violence. Don't cut away from the impact, aren't shy about showing the consequences. This one does, a few times. It was rated PG-13. Unlike the train, this one went heavily off the rails.

So, parallels and commonalities. Bolt cutters again, this time freeing Pig Killer. He also clobbers someone with them. Pigs play a large part in this. I didn't mention it yesterday, but there are a few running around the oil refinery. Ironbar spends some time pinned to the front of the train. One kid has his face painted white with black eyes. He never wears a shirt. Max is involuntarily groomed. There are two action girls, Savannah and Anna. Part of the plot revolves around them leaving their home in search of somewhere better.

So, Fury Road is kind of a highlight reel of the series, plus a heap of extra awesome on top. I sort of want to see it a third time, if only I could round up someone to go with me.

All in all, I feel that Mad Max is the best story. Fury Road is the best spectacle. I can't pick a favourite, they're both great in their own ways. Next would be Road Warrior and last is Thunderdome.

Edited by Joe
  • Love 1
(edited)

As a huge fan of Thunderdome,I get tired of how it's shit talked (generally not by anyone here specifically), and I personally find it the most narratively satisfying of the three films, and further see Fury Road as a fairly obvious retelling of it. The Citadel is an obvious analog to Bartertown (with it's own analog of Master Blaster in Rictus/Collosus), Furiosa could easily have been the girl leader, stolen from that children's paradise (A Place That's Green) and she could even be seen as recognizing Max (again generally, Miller has stated the films were not meant to have an linear continuity, but instead be myths of this loner that may or may not have happened and who may or may not actually exist).

Having said that Fury Road is 200 times the movie Thunderdome was, and definitely is more of a culmination of all three films, the hallowed out Max and natural resource critiques from the first film, the landscape and imagery, and jittered nerves of the Road Warrior, and the simple, but to me moving, narrative of hope as a physical place, free from the madness that the world has become of the third film.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 2

I did not understand how this world worked. I didn't understand how the Citadel and its citizens functioned; I didn't understand the blood transfusion stuff; I didn't understand how the breeders, who are so precious to Joe, managed to be smuggled out and stored in the rig for so long, and no one noticed their absence (I have trouble believing they weren't under guard); I didn't understand why, in a world where gas is precious, roughly 8 million vehicles were sent out to retrieve the breeders; I didn't understand why, in a world where gas is precious, you would waste a vehicle on a fucking human stereo system; I didn't understand how/where the remaining "green place" survivors were living; I didn't understand why the Citadel's citizens were totally fine with Furiosa returning with Joe's dead body and readily accepted her as his replacement.

Totally understand those complaints, here are my thoughts on them.

It seemed like there was no one guarding the wives because Joe is crazy levels of possessive over his "wives". He wouldn't want to take the chance of anyone else touching his "property". Or,he already had them under a giant lock, in a compound where pretty much everyone there worships him as a terrifying god. Either explanation works for me. He is convinced no one would touch his wives, and the only thing he would need to do is keep them locked up. 

As to how they could tell what Blood type Max was, I just figured they has some kind of system for that, whatever that is. There has to be some way to know that. Hell, maybe they have some modern stuff lying around that the doctor knows how to use. And is using Super Blood Donor Max as a hood ornament a bad idea? Yes, its an awful idea, but the people who made that call were the crazed, brainwashed war boys, and their mad doctor, so I wouldn't expect them to think too far in the future, or think of what a waste this would be. 

Why all this is happening, and why Joe is using all his resources, actually does make sense to me. Joe`s whole society and power is based on him being an all powerful god, who has total control over everyone in his society. When Furiosa went rouge and the wives ran away, it showed that he didn't have perfect control over everyone, and some people were actually not afraid or in awe of his "god-like" awesomeness. This could be a huge threat to his power. After all, he`s just an old sick guy without his army and his cult. Plus, from a practical standpoint, he wants an heir, and two of the girls were pregnant. There don't seem to be many young, beautiful, non mutated woman around, so it would make sense that he would want to get them back. This is clearly just how Joe operates. One of the other war lords he`s allied with even complained about using all their resources on "family squabbles", so this is clearly just Joe and his desire to prove his power, and his feeling that the women and their unborn children are his, and he believes he deserves to have his property.

Everyone accepting Furiosa as the new leader made sense to me as well. Joe styled himself as this immortal badass god leader. When the gang dropped him body in front of everyone, it proved Joe was a big fat liar. He`s not immortal or unstoppable at all, so his whole religion is clearly full of shit. Plus, I can accept this society would run on the Klingon style of politics. You kill the leader, your awesome enough to become the new ruler. People already knew what a badass Furiosa was, so of course they would accept her as the new leader. Who else do they have?  Plus, it works on a more thematic level, with the oppressed poor people, the younger war boys in training, and the women being used for milking all being the ones to accept Furiosa and the wives as the new leaders, taking back their lives, and the theme of people reclaiming themselves and their bodies and lives from being used as objects. So, to me, it works on multiple levels. 

But these are just my morning rambles, it all a matter of opinion. 

• Love 8

Totally understand those complaints, here are my thoughts on them.

It seemed like there was no one guarding the wives because Joe is crazy levels of possessive over his "wives". He wouldn't want to take the chance of anyone else touching his "property". Or,he already had them under a giant lock, in a compound where pretty much everyone there worships him as a terrifying god. Either explanation works for me. He is convinced no one would touch his wives, and the only thing he would need to do is keep them locked up. 

As to how they could tell what Blood type Max was, I just figured they has some kind of system for that, whatever that is. There has to be some way to know that. Hell, maybe they have some modern stuff lying around that the doctor knows how to use. And is using Super Blood Donor Max as a hood ornament a bad idea? Yes, its an awful idea, but the people who made that call were the crazed, brainwashed war boys, and their mad doctor, so I wouldn't expect them to think too far in the future, or think of what a waste this would be. 

Why all this is happening, and why Joe is using all his resources, actually does make sense to me. Joe`s whole society and power is based on him being an all powerful god, who has total control over everyone in his society. When Furiosa went rouge and the wives ran away, it showed that he didn't have perfect control over everyone, and some people were actually not afraid or in awe of his "god-like" awesomeness. This could be a huge threat to his power. After all, he`s just an old sick guy without his army and his cult. Plus, from a practical standpoint, he wants an heir, and two of the girls were pregnant. There don't seem to be many young, beautiful, non mutated woman around, so it would make sense that he would want to get them back. This is clearly just how Joe operates. One of the other war lords he`s allied with even complained about using all their resources on "family squabbles", so this is clearly just Joe and his desire to prove his power, and his feeling that the women and their unborn children are his, and he believes he deserves to have his property.

Everyone accepting Furiosa as the new leader made sense to me as well. Joe styled himself as this immortal badass god leader. When the gang dropped him body in front of everyone, it proved Joe was a big fat liar. He`s not immortal or unstoppable at all, so his whole religion is clearly full of shit. Plus, I can accept this society would run on the Klingon style of politics. You kill the leader, your awesome enough to become the new ruler. People already knew what a badass Furiosa was, so of course they would accept her as the new leader. Who else do they have?  Plus, it works on a more thematic level, with the oppressed poor people, the younger war boys in training, and the women being used for milking all being the ones to accept Furiosa and the wives as the new leaders, taking back their lives, and the theme of people reclaiming themselves and their bodies and lives from being used as objects. So, to me, it works on multiple levels. 

But these are just my morning rambles, it all a matter of opinion. 

The blood type test is actually easy and all you need is  eldon cards some and knowledge of blood groups (and what they would look like once they clump together):

As with the scene where Max, Furiosa, and the suriving wives arrive back at the Citadel.... I took it as that Joe was a shitty leader and the people were just happy to see him dead. 

• Love 1
(edited)

As to how they could tell what Blood type Max was, I just figured they has some kind of system for that, whatever that is.

In that chase scene before the title card when Max is first captured he is shown getting a tattoo done on his back that has his blood type on it (O negative) and a notice saying that he is eligible for organ donation. The camera pans on it very briefly. That's when he tries to escape

ETA: found a screenshot

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--u5Jd7_2D--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/d2topj9n8bu5psqqszg1.png

Edited by JustaPerson

In that chase scene before the title card when Max is first captured he is shown getting a tattoo done on his back that has his blood type on it (O negative) and a notice saying that he is eligible for organ donation. The camera pans on it very briefly. That's when he tries to escape

ETA: found a screenshot

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--u5Jd7_2D--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/d2topj9n8bu5psqqszg1.png

But wasn't it the War Boys who were the ones who put that tattoo on Max's back (while Max was chained up and unconscious)?

Here's a theory about the blood type controversy:

Max had his old license on him. That license had his blood type and also stated he was an organ donor. I think Australia is one of the places that puts blood type on DL's.

Here's a theory about the blood type controversy:

Max had his old license on him. That license had his blood type and also stated he was an organ donor. I think Australia is one of the places that puts blood type on DL's.

Good theory. I keep forgetting that Max didn't grow up in a post apocalyptic world. The government was still sort of functional when he was young so he would have stuff like a drivers license or a birth certificate.

(edited)

Later. Man, Thunderdome really feels like two different movies. The first part, Bartertown, is all about making hard choices and living with them. Suddenly it's about these kids and the little paradise they've built?

Oh God, I hated the Lord of the Flies part of that movie. SO MUCH. I was under the impression that the big boom hadn't been THAT long ago, so why were these young adults talking in some fucking Jar Jar Binks bullshit muddled English? It's like TPTB wanted to make the characters understandable but juuuust a little different to show that they're very separate from the rest of the population.

As to how they could tell what Blood type Max was, I just figured they has some kind of system for that, whatever that is.

Oh, my question wasn't how they could tell his blood type. I didn't understand the blood transfusion plot point. Why was it needed? Why did only some need it? Why was he deemed suitable? Who is deemed worthy of receiving a transfusion? Why aren't the donors better treated/protected?

Why all this is happening, and why Joe is using all his resources, actually does make sense to me. Joe`s whole society and power is based on him being an all powerful god,

Sure, but him taking EVERY. LAST. ONE. of his warriors out to retrieve his wayward ladies only makes him look weaker. Why does he need so many men?

Everyone accepting Furiosa as the new leader made sense to me as well. Joe styled himself as this immortal badass god leader. When the gang dropped him body in front of everyone, it proved Joe was a big fat liar. He`s not immortal or unstoppable at all, so his whole religion is clearly full of shit. Plus, I can accept this society would run on the Klingon style of politics. You kill the leader, your awesome enough to become the new ruler. People already knew what a badass Furiosa was, so of course they would accept her as the new leader. Who else do they have?  Plus, it works on a more thematic level, with the oppressed poor people, the younger war boys in training, and the women being used for milking all being the ones to accept Furiosa and the wives as the new leaders, taking back their lives, and the theme of people reclaiming themselves and their bodies and lives from being used as objects. So, to me, it works on multiple levels.

I didn't have a major problem with this plot point since there are ways to explain/justify the choice (as you've demonstrated). I'm just surprised that in their male-dominant society (barring ONE female warrior) that no one who was in Joe's inner circle jockeyed for power. I get the lowly people being all "hey, if she can take out Joe, let's support her as new leader!" but I have a little more trouble believing that the guys who enjoyed the benefits of Joe's reign would be so willing as well.

Edited by NoWillToResist

What a beautiful, badass movie.  My only nitpick is that I keep thinking about all of those armed and armored War Boys out there with nowhere to go but to try to take back the Citadel.  I would have loved a scene where the people from the canyon came swarming down on them as they tried to clear the path through the gateway.

Nicholas Hoult always impresses me, and Charlize is a Goddess.

• Love 5

Liked this movie a lot.  It felt like The Warriors in the desert.

One question: Why were there so many fantasy images of his dead daughter and wife? I thought that his child from the first movie was an infant boy, not a little girl.

Also, were the War Boys purposely painted white, or was it an illness (as Nux began to look more normal after his blood transfusion)?