Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E25: Live Semifinal Performances

• Start Topic

Here are the song spoilers for tonight

India Carney – Earth Song by Michael Jackson – Download from iTunes
India Carney – Gravity by Sara Bareilles – Download from iTunes
Koryn Hawthorne – Oh Mary Don’t You Weep – Civil War spiritual – Download from iTunes
Koryn Hawthorne – One by U2 – Download from iTunes
Joshua Davis – When I Paint My Masterpiece by The Band – Download from iTunes
Joshua Davis – I Can’t Make You Love Me by Bonnie Raitt – Download from iTunes
Meghan Linsey – I’m Not the Only One by Sam Smith – Download from iTunes
Meghan Linsey – Tennessee Whiskey by George Jones – Download from iTunes
Sawyer Fredericks – A Thousand Years by Christina Perri – Download from iTunes
Sawyer Fredericks – For What It’s Worth by Buffalo Springfield – Download from iTunes

Living 40 minutes from Albany, all my local stations have been touting Sawyer for awhile.

With that being said, I've always routed for him, but felt he was stuck in a rut for awhile. I can't help but have watched his last performance with a stupid grin on my face. He finally showed a bit of dynamics, and less static.

On a shallow note, I HATED India's dress on Earth Song, but this is the first time I've felt her emotion. (Plus, I love that MJ song.)

Can I just vote for Nate Ruess?

Thank gosh my brain finally caught up to the plot of the "Love" trick.  For half the song I thought we were going to see a tragic fire breakout or Nate's hair catch flame.  Cute, show.

The MVP of tonight was whoever oversees the staging. There were some really awesome staging. I really liked Meghan's Sam Smith number and the staging or Koryn's second song.

I was so happy at the beginning of One. Koryn was softer and her voice sounded pretty. Then she went into her usual power mode and my ears were no longer happy. She has talent, but she needs to learn to use her voice in different ways. When she's in full power mode it isn't enjoyable for me to listen to, even if I can appreciate her talent.

I loved India in Gravity and at the end of Earth Song. I do not understand Earth Song as a song choice though. Her hometown visit was New York. There are thousands of New York songs to pick from. I would have also preferred about any inspirational song to Earth Song.

Josh is boring.

I liked Sawyer in his first song. It sounded distinguishable from what he usually does.

Meghan is probably my favorite left. She's the best singer for me in terms of controlling her voice and really impressing me with her vocal ability. I also feel like she's shown a good amount of range while still feeling like she's consistent artistically. 

• Love 3

How did I get all the way to this point in the show and not give a damn about who wins? Based solely on tonight's boring and strangely unmusical set of performances, I guess I'm rooting for - - I don't know - - Megan? Nah, never mind.

• Love 4

As I watch:

Team Adam

Joshua: Not bad with the first song, but he'll be hurt by going first, perhaps.  Yet again, though, he suffers from a good voice, but no really good stage presence to go with it.  I felt bored again, and it felt like it repeated itself.  I also get the feeling that Blake and Christina didn't really like it as much as they said.  The second song was a touch better, but I realize the complaints of his lack of range really have been showing lately.  It's like he never went past his mid-range, up or down.  And sheesh.  Even in his hometown package, he was boring as fuck.

Team Pharrell

Koryn: Amazing job.  Good beat, nice control, and she actually performed it, not just sang it.  I just love her voice so much.  The second one could've used way more dynamic variation, but still, the performance itself was solid enough that I think she could actually get through.  You could by the applause that the studio audience really loved her! :)

Sawyer: Good vocals, as usual.  But I felt like the first song could've dragged a bit less, even with the nice beat it had.  The second song was also very well done, and at least Blake dropped all pretense by calling him the frontrunner.

Team Christina

India: That first one was just beautiful, and she used her lower register very well.  Her upper register also came out really nicely.  As for her second one, doing Michael Jackson songs is always a risk.  But hopefully, this one paid off!  That was breathtaking!  Vocally, visually, musically, she was spot-on!  I really hope she either gets the votes or gets the last Twitter save, if there is one!

Team Blake

Meghan: Doesn't know dynamics, huh?  I think that first song showed that she absolutely gets them, starting out quietly and gradually getting louder.  As for her second one, that was amazing all-around!  She did an amazing job!

On a side note, why is Joshua's son always wearing those huge headphones?  Seems like he always has them on.

• Love 1

Much as I suspected, without Kimberly, I don't really care. Joshua may be a perfectly nice guy, but bores the crap out of me. Koryn should have been long gone (a "solid" performance by her is amazing, of course). I don't like Meghan's music much. Sawyer is too mannered by half for my taste--and FWIW is one of my favorite songs (so thanks for bringing it to folk's attention, too bad there was no emotional there there. Oh, there's emo, but that's not the same thing, is it?) That leaves India, who I like, but wasn't my favorite Team C singer--not enough for me to keep watching anyway.

How did I get all the way to this point in the show and not give a damn about who wins? Based solely on tonight's boring and strangely unmusical set of performances, I guess I'm rooting for - - I don't know - - Megan? Nah, never mind.

I'm right there along with ya. In fact, I didn't even bother watching tonight.

• Love 1

Watched the full episode (save for walking out of the room during the homecoming portions).  My goodness, Pharrell says the most meaningless things.

Voting for Joshua and India tonight. I've firmly established Joshua as my favorite of this bunch.  Except for that one horrible week, I enjoy everything he does and I want to see more. Really liked both of his songs tonight.  My India vote is based solely on tonight's performances. Haven't cared much for her in the past, but her second song was my favorite of the night.  Her first song was okay.  

Meghan was mixed.  Great second song, but really horrible first song.  

Koryn performed at her normal standards which means I was just annoyed at her style once again.  Especially on the second song.

For Sawyer, granted I don't really care for him, but I thought he performed below his average on both songs.  First one needed a lot more energy.  The second performance had obvious technical issues and seemed like an odd song choice for him.

Once again, Hair Boy closes the show in the pimp spot? Come on. At least PRETEND that you don't have a preferred winner, show. Oy.

I have a love/hate relationship with this show's tendency to pimp the front runner. It can be incredibly frustrating when I don't like the artist, or like last year when it felt like they were pimping two of Adam's artists. 

On the plus side, it doesn't always work (again, last season). I also can almost respect how blatant it is. Like they don't even try to pretend it's not happening. If you're going to pimp an artist, just go for it. At least the game they're playing is clear.

• Love 1

I thought Sawyer sounded beautiful on both of his songs, but the staging was a little much for him. They should have kept it simple for one. And stop having him go over to the audience to take their hand. It's cute..but stop. That's not what Sawyer is. 

Joshua was boring. Doesn't have any range. Doesn't change the phrasing of his songs. Doesn't change dynamics. And has a tendency to sing songs I don't know. At least I knew the first one..and it was pretty..just..as Xtina said..like a lullaby. 

India deserves to be in the finale. She had to great performances. Good for her. I don't know if she will, but she absolutely deserves it. 

Meghan..second song was great. That's her style. But she took a bulldozer to Sam Smith's pretty ballad. Let's just keep her in southern rock and blues. 

Koryn..her first song might have been the worst of the night, and her second might have been the best. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Charts so far: http://www.livepopbars2.com/lpb1024.php?Region=143441&Albums=0&ref=lpb5&t=1431399903

9. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "For What it's Worth"

10. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "A Thousand Years"

21. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "Tennessee Whiskey"

33. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "I Can't Make You Love Me"

39. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "I'm not the Only One"

47. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep"

62. India Carney - Team Christina - "Earth Song"

64. India Carney - Team Christina - "Gravity"

72. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "When I Paint My Masterpiece"

102. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "One"

Yeah.  Sawyer's getting his iTunes votes doubled for two songs once more.  I think Meghan could rise enough to get one of hers doubled, as well.  Looking like it's among Joshua, India, and Koryn for the bottom two tomorrow night.  At least so far.  I think India could snake it out since while her two songs are below one each of Joshua and Koryn's, they are both still beating one each of those two.

Edited by Donny Ketchum

On a side note, why is Joshua's son always wearing those huge headphones?  Seems like he always has them on.

Because the loud music and applause will hurt his baby ears. They are sound dampeners.

• Love 2

Meghan improved slightly in 2 areas for me tonight:  at least at the beginning of her first song she wasn't screaming at me (then of course she ruined that midway through) and for once her hair didn't look like a neon white/yellow space helmet.

(edited)

Charts as of midnight - http://www.livepopba...b5&t=1431399903:

6. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "A Thousand Years"

7. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "For What it's Worth"

17. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "Tennessee Whiskey"

29. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "I Can't Make You Love Me"

34. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "I'm not the Only One"

39. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep"

49. India Carney - Team Christina - "Earth Song"

51. India Carney - Team Christina - "Gravity"

62. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "When I Paint My Masterpiece"

85. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "One"

Edited by Donny Ketchum
(edited)

Traverse CIty, MI is not a "little, tiny town" as Josh would like you to believe.   No, it is not a huge city, but it is a major city in northern Michigan.   Can't see him doing more than he has done for the rest of his career.

Trying to vote for Sawyer on the "Official Voice" app and I can't it won't accept the votes.

Edited by Koffee Kup
(edited)

Someone finally installed the emotion chip in fembot India - I usually tilt half an ear to the TV and surf the web during much of the singing because this season, kinda boring, but I actually hit the 15 second rewind to hear India sing.  High praise indeed.

Edited by MaryM47
  • Love 1

Lol, the T10 songs on iTunes from previous weeks are 90% Sawyer:

Previous weeks:
92 Sawyer Shine On
106 Meghan Amazing Grace
112 Sawyer Simple Man
132 Sawyer Take Me to the River
179 Sawyer Imagine
188 Sawyer I'm a Man of Constant Sorrow
203 Sawyer Iris
207 Sawyer Collide
234 Sawyer Have You Ever Seen the Rain
235 Sawyer Trouble

I found Joshua more interesting than usual tonight, and I usually like him anyway. I didn't even know "When I Paint My Masterpiece," but I enjoyed it very much. My hubby was impressed enough to mention that the performance was great. I thought when Carson mentioned The Band, Joshua was going to do "The Weight" which is a favorite of mine, so at first I was disappointed that the song wasn't that, but then I ended up really enjoying it despite not knowing the song. That was surprising.

Also surprising was that I didn't mind "I Can't Make You Love Me" (though I preferred "When I Paint My Masterpiece"), because I hate that song ::ducks in case of rotten tomatoes:: and it's so over done for me.

Poor Meghan. She's good, but hubby and I both were watching her and sort of smiling when she was singing "I'm Not the Only One" and saying "She's holding back." and "She wants so badly to just go for it and belt it... aaaand there she goes." I'm a bad, bad person.

Koryn was already starting out at a disadvantage for me, because I don't really like "One" (or U2 all that much * ) See above: re bad person.

I really liked Sawyer on "For What It's Worth." He managed to switch up the song without losing the melody or making it unrecognizable, and I ended up really enjoying his interpretation.

* I really love a couple U2 songs, but they are not typical U2 songs, and not ones people would sing on a competition show, so usually when I hear someone is going to sing a U2 song, I know I'm not going to like it. (Side note: my favorite U2 songs are Bad {which in my opinion should be called "Not Fade Away"} and the awesome, in my opinion, "Angel of Harlem". I also think "Mysterious Ways" is okay... but that's pretty much it).

Uggh.  All this Sawyer love is just bizarre.  While he might put out a record that sells well, I can't imagine him doing concerts that are electrifying.  To say the least.

It's just so odd.

• Love 5

Sawyer could easily open for someone big. Hold a crowd for a show of his own? Hard to picture.

I am really annoyed that --yet again-- he got the pimp spot. He doesn't need it, obviously, at all. (That 9 of 10 of his songs occupying Top 10 on iTunes for the season is pretty amazing.)

There's no doubt he's winning unless something very odd happens to everyone else's votes. So why not give the pimp spot to those who need a boost and put him at #1 each week instead of Hanna...Koryn....India....Kymberly (just guessing about the last two, but even if it's "Joshua" instead, you know what I mean. It's never Sawyer! And he's the one whose votes probably wouldn't be the least effected by putting him first--unlike some of the others.)

Given some of (what I believe are) Pharrell's staging choices, I wonder if he's somehow imagining him as the next Justin Bieber? If so, that's not going to end well.

• Love 2

Charts as of one a.m. - http://www.livepopba...b5&t=1431399903:

3. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "For What it's Worth"

4. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "A Thousand Years"

11. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "Tennessee Whiskey"

24. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "I Can't Make You Love Me"

31. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "I'm not the Only One"

34. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep"

45. India Carney - Team Christina - "Earth Song"

46. India Carney - Team Christina - "Gravity"

51. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "When I Paint My Masterpiece"

70. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "One"

(edited)
Uggh.  All this Sawyer love is just bizarre.  While he might put out a record that sells well, I can't imagine him doing concerts that are electrifying.  To say the least.

Yeah, I don't get it either. It's not like he's that much better than everyone else who has ever been on this show. To me, he's monotone and flat. He's a cute kid, he sings okay, and that's basically it, as far as I'm concerned. 

And the pimp spot each and every week?  If he's not singing in the FINAL spot, he's at least second to last, so that he's always singing in the last 15-20 minutes of the broadcast each week  Has Sawyer opened the show this season AT ALL? They  REALLY want a Pharrell or Christina win, and it looks like Pharrell has the best shot, so they're not taking any chances. That's what it looks like. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4
(edited)

How did I get all the way to this point in the show and not give a damn about who wins?

I think that's a good question that's related to another good question. How did we get all the way to this point with such a collection or boring, run of the mill singers?

Not that I remember any of the earlier eliminated contestants as being huge talents, but at least they weren't pageant bots like Koryn and India, who represent a style of super serious, OTT singing that I thought American Idol ran into the ground years ago. Joshua and Sawyer are equally boring in their own way, although I appreciate that tonight they sang songs from my musical era. I might've enjoyed Sawyer's "For What It's Worth" if I kept my eyes closed. His sheepish grinning conveyed that he had no idea what the song was actually about, and those prancing, hand clapping singers were equally clueless. Joshua's interpretation of The Band song at least showed some connection to the lyrics, but he remains the definition of mediocre.

So as someone else said, that leaves Meghan, who is a pro and as such probably deserves to win this show, but won't.

I never heard that "Tennessee Whiskey" song before, but what a blatant rip-off of "I'd Rather Go Blind." If Pharrell can be successfully sued over "Blurred Lines" then the writers of "Blind" should have a big fat check coming. (Though I don't know how much money "Tennessee Whiskey" actually made)

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1
(edited)

Charts as of two a.m. - http://www.livepopba...b5&t=1431399903:

3. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "A Thousand Years"

4. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "For What it's Worth"

23. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "I Can't Make You Love Me"

25. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "I'm not the Only One"

32. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep"

36. India Carney - Team Christina - "Earth Song"

41. India Carney - Team Christina - "Gravity"

51. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "When I Paint My Masterpiece"

64. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "One"

Edited by Donny Ketchum

I loved India's "Gravity," too bad it isn't doing better on iTunes. I missed Sawyer's first performance, but I thought he sounded pretty bad on "A Thousand Years," which is odd since I'd expected he'd sound great on it. I wonder if the studio version is any better. Turned it to Dancing with the Stars during Meghan and Joshua.I just cannot get into Koryn even when I try. I'm still in shock she's done as well as she has on this show, because I don't hear it.

• Love 1

Charts as of three a.m. - http://www.livepopba...b5&t=1431399903:

3. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "A Thousand Years"

4. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "For What it's Worth"

23. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "I Can't Make You Love Me"

25. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "I'm not the Only One"

31. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep"

36. India Carney - Team Christina - "Earth Song"

39. India Carney - Team Christina - "Gravity"

50. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "When I Paint My Masterpiece"

63. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "One"

My last for tonight.  Hope someone can keep track in the morning.  Though I will say that someone's really trying to save Christina's final member, because India's numbers have been jumping throughout the night!

(edited)

All these little girls and boys and grandparents with crushes on Sawyer. I like the kid but the bloom is off the rose considering he has a free ride to the win. He can be great but his likeability is disproportionate to his talent and that sucks.

Meghan is the only one left I enjoy and don't have to fast-forward through.

LOL at Christina saying Joshua put her to sleep--but lest you hold it against her, she "loved" it!

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3

Traverse CIty, MI is not a "little, tiny town" as Josh would like you to believe.   No, it is not a huge city, but it is a major city in northern Michigan.   Can't see him doing more than he has done for the rest of his career.

Trying to vote for Sawyer on the "Official Voice" app and I can't it won't accept the votes.

I guess your definition of "major city" and my definition of "major city" are very different. I'm from Michigan.  I'd classify Traverse City as a tourist town, definitely not a major city.  It may be one of the larger towns in Northern Michigan but its not large.  And its is remote.  I don't know if it qualifies as "little, tiny" but according to some definitions a population of 15,000 and under is considered a small town so Traverse City meets that definition.  I don't think Josh was misleading anyone on the size of his home town.  Its little & tiny compared to major metropolitan areas such as New York, Los Angeles or Nashville or other places associated with Music opportunities.

(edited)

I just want Joshua to be safe along with Sawyer. They've been my favorites all along. I love Blake and Meghan's been growing on me as the season progressed, so I hope she makes it too. I don't care for India, but I'd hate for Christina to be the only coach shut out of the finale. So "Go India!"

Edited by kelnic86

Was it me or were the Judges a little "off" last night.  All of them but in particular Adam.  He just looked pissed off the entire night and it seemed like they were all very guarded and noncommittal....or maybe it was that all the performances were bland.  I realized last night that without Kimberly it was a big ole  snoozefest.  Things got better with some of the second songs but still pretty boring. I guess I'm rooting for Meghan (side note: Naomi Judd frightened me just a little bit).  

• Love 1

Was it me or were the Judges a little "off" last night.  All of them but in particular Adam.  He just looked pissed off the entire night and it seemed like they were all very guarded and noncommittal....or maybe it was that all the performances were bland.

They did tend to speak very complimentary words about the performer, but not necessarily the performance they just saw.

I was unexpectedly surprised by liking Joshua's I Can't Make You Love Me.  I kinda loathe that sort of song in general, but Bonnie Raitt apparently can make me love anything.  She's got the power.

I enjoyed the first part of Koryn's One, but at some point she fell out of the niche I was enjoying and it got kind of gravelly (not in a good way).

Really appreciated a toned down India and Meghan, but Awesom04000 nailed it that Meghan wanted to turn it up to 11.

There's a nice quality to Sawyer's voice, but I don't care for his singing or performances.  Apparently, it does not matter.

I'm kind of surprised Meghan is doing well this late in the game. She's good but I thought she go the same way as Danica. Ladies with powerful voices, a more mature presentation (even though they are young) and bit of old fashion way of singing.

I guess your definition of "major city" and my definition of "major city" are very different. I'm from Michigan.  I'd classify Traverse City as a tourist town, definitely not a major city.  It may be one of the larger towns in Northern Michigan but its not large.  And its is remote.  I don't know if it qualifies as "little, tiny" but according to some definitions a population of 15,000 and under is considered a small town so Traverse City meets that definition.  I don't think Josh was misleading anyone on the size of his home town.  Its little & tiny compared to major metropolitan areas such as New York, Los Angeles or Nashville or other places associated with Music opportunities.

I have to agree with KCat71 here. TC can feel larger than it is because of its amenities (wineries, breweries, beer and wine festivals, Cherry Fest, world class restaurants, beaches, bike trails, Interlochen Center for the Arts, live music scene -- which is directly tied to the bars and wineries, the Michael Moore created TC Film Festival, etc), but those exist because it's a tourist destination. It's year-round population in the city limits is under 15,000. That goes up to somewhere in the 125,000 to 150,000 if you include all the outlying townships, tiny towns and lakes in four counties.

It's also seriously remote. The four lane freeway portion of the main route there (US-131) ends 40 minutes south of town, and the closest city of 150,000 (with a greater metro area over a million) is Grand Rapids, a good 2 if not 2.5 hours south. It's the kind of town where I regularly run into people I know every time I leave my house. I can't even take my husband (who has a public facing job) to the grocery store with me because it will take 3 hours just because he runs into so many people it would be rude not to talk to. Chances are, from October through April, Joshua is playing to the same couple hundred people who come out for live music during the week. (He also plays regular in Bellaire, which there can be no quibble is a small town. Population less than 1500. However, it has Short's Brewing company's brew pub, and so is a regional destination.)

People here are WILDLY proud of Joshua. (It helps that he really was well-loved even before the show. Steppin' In It has been one of the anchors of the local music scene for years, and regularly draws crowds to festivals.) One of my co-workers took a guitar class from him and just raves about him. 

As for not doing more than he has done his whole career -- I think that's absurd. The exposure that has come from the show will absolutely open doors, even if they're not pop-star, heavy radio play doors. I can't imagine that he'll be playing the local bar on a Wednesday night next year at this time for $100 and a $50 bar tab! It's really too bad the show feature original music, because at the very least I can see this leading to lots more songwriting work for him. I also see him playing larger folk festivals (i.e. Lyons, CO) rather than just the local ones. And I think it will also lead to more opportunities for collaboration outside his usual channels.  

I Tunes at 10:00 AM, Tuesday. Not much has changed:

2. Sawyer: A Thousand Years

3. Sawyer: For What It's Worth

6. Meghan: Tennessee Whiskey

13. Joshua: I Can't Make You Love Me

22. Meghan: I'm Not the Only One

25. Koryn: Oh Mary, Don't You Weep

32. India: Earth Song

38. Joshua: When I Paint My Masterpiece

40. India: Gravity

54. Koryn: One

Looks like it comes down to fan votes for Koryn and India. I think it HAS to be Koryn. Christina being a lame duck coach for the final is not something that the show wants to see. If Koryn leaves tonight, the show gets what it really wants. Each judge with a horse in the race.

• Love 2