Type keyword(s) to search

Willises Got Talent

I really can't believe how beautiful the entire family is. Not saying that's all that matters, but it's kind of strange.

It's amazing that all of those horrible things happened to them and they kept trucking through. I've heard about the car accident before in a political science class, but seeing the family it affected drove it that much deeper. And thank goodness no one was home for the fire at the homestead!

I wonder if they'll be bringing up their beliefs. Apparently, they're fundie (?) but they dance and "party" (according to Brenda). That's not very fundie-like.

• Love 4
I wonder if they'll be bringing up their beliefs. Apparently, they're fundie (?) but they dance and "party" (according to Brenda). That's not very fundie-like.

And the girls wear pants. And we saw the boys with their shirts off. So yea, I'm curious to see more of this family. They definitely seem more open minded than a certain other family full of "J" names. I am finding them likable myself so far. Their property is absolutely beautiful and I hope they do get to rebuild on it one day. 

I also loved when the one brother said that Irish step dancing was invented due to large families having to wait for a bathroom to open up!

• Love 6

So far, I find this family very likable. I hope that it stays that way as the series continues.

That was my thought as well. It seems that so many times, reality show families start off seemingly normal and fun, but then things go awry. The fame and attention may play a role. Also, the producer initiated "activities" become more ridiculous over a show's run.

I certainly understand the allure of money, and for these folks (who are already performers) the fame must also be an attraction. But I cannot imagine ever wanting the notoriety and negative outcome that often comes with these shows.

• Love 4

I think that they are very talented. I enjoyed the America's Got Talent clip immensely. I rewatched it several times. I thought it was adorable when the little girl stepped up to the front and started dancing. It seemed as though the audience did too. I wish I would have seen the act in it's entirety on America's Got Talent.

So far, I find this family very likable. I hope that it stays that way as the series continues.

I liked the bit when Howard said each child was more attractive than the last, and the oldest girl was all "Thanks, Howard" in a sarcastic tone. I can't imagine the Duggar girls being all outspoken and talking back like that.

• Love 4

I didn't hear this family label themselves as fundamental believers.  I did get that they were believers, but as far as I can tell, not fundies.  I LOVED them, and I, too am hoping my bubble isn't burst after a few more views.  What GREAT kids with such popping, positive personalities.  How refreshing!

• Love 4

I wasn't able to watch the show this week because I was working but hope to catch the next one.I had seen the Americas Got Talent audition on you tube a long time ago and ended up watching alot of their videos.I just hope their show is less offensive to me than another large J name family I could mention but won't.I will give it a chance.Fingers crossed!

I didn't hear this family label themselves as fundamental believers. 

I don't think they did. I was reading articles on them and I believe their wiki has that they are. I don't think they are, though. Brenda did say that she and her husband were both raised "very conservative". I think the articles might have jumped on Dad Willis' dad being a preacher and made the leap. But as for their own family, they don't seem to be raising them that way. YMMV.

They seem to be adhering to a fundie-light kind of faith.  I didn't notice them being too descriptive about the particulars and that's fine with me.  The kids don't date in a traditional way, so I imagine we'll hear more about it as the episodes go by.

If there's a consensus that we need to change the title on the Kids thread (They Put the "Fun" in Fundie), that's fine, but it would be great if people could suggest alternative titles. Maybe we could do a poll if there are several compelling ideas. 

But let's start suggesting them now. We'll leave the title as is until we have something better.

BigSkyGirl is the lead mod on this forum and I'm the helper, btw.

Thanks!

I don't think they did. I was reading articles on them and I believe their wiki has that they are. I don't think they are, though. Brenda did say that she and her husband were both raised "very conservative". I think the articles might have jumped on Dad Willis' dad being a preacher and made the leap. But as for their own family, they don't seem to be raising them that way. YMMV.

I agree with you. I think some of the basics may have stuck, but it seems they went their own way and didn't follow in their families super conservative footsteps. The mom commented on how boring their wedding reception was and she seemed pretty wistful about not having music and dance, which they clearly love, at their wedding. I think they have some core beliefs, but appear to be fairly open minded. Time will tell. 

I am blown away at how normal (in comparison to the other "J" family) this family is. They have such great attitudes and its easy to see they really do love each other. They are very talented and I hope that this series is continued! I found myself looking forward to last night's episode.

• Love 2

I love this family and how they interact with each other. Doesn't seem fair the Talent Fairy obviously broke down and dropped a load over their house. Why did I think they lived in Colorado from the first show? Clearly they live in Tennessee. Still, said the grumpy middle aged Mama with grandchildren: I wish the kids didn't "wallow" all over the kitchen counters. Loved their dedication to dance! Woot woot! Either the Talent Fairy skipped my family altogether, or the waiting list is exceptionally long. (Hard work and determination have nothing to do with it, right?). I think I want a refund.

• Love 4

This family seems a lot more palatable than some of the other mondo families we've seen, but I find myself waiting to see that TLC frogs around with the editing and they become as messed up as most of the other families and groups  TLC manages to exploit.

• Love 1

I wonder if the kids are still involved in competitive dance or if they are only dancing now as part of their stage shows.  I've been watching videos from some older competitions, mainly Jeremiah and Jennifer, but I adore this 2010 dance by Jackson and Jasmine in the US Open Swing Dance Championship.  Very cheeky and fun! 

I love this one, but my absolute favorite has to be Jair and Jennifer dancing to "Now or Never" - talk about talent!!

Aren't they great!  I like that one too, but I think I like the one from the previous year (2010) better.  I like the look of the jeans and plaid shirts, but to me it was a little distracting and I feel the moves were showcased better when they were wearing something else.  Anyway, I'm slightly embarrassed by how much I keep watching these.  They are so good.  I'd love to see a video of Jeremiah from an Irish dance competition, but I don't think you're allowed to film those.

(edited)

I didn't hear this family label themselves as fundamental believers.  I did get that they were believers, but as far as I can tell, not fundies.  I LOVED them, and I, too am hoping my bubble isn't burst after a few more views.  What GREAT kids with such popping, positive personalities.  How refreshing!

I feel like there is a lack of understanding of what fundie, or to use the full term, fundamentalist Christianity, means. People here seem to think it necessarily means you wear skirts/dresses and forbid dancing like the Duggars but that's not the case. Check out the Wikipedia definition: https://en.wikipedia..._fundamentalism

The Willises are absolutely fundies by their own admission; they follow the bible literally. They would, if asked, readily tell you that they believe in the creation of Adam and Eve 6,000 years ago, reject evolution, think the unsaved are going to hell, that wives should submit to husbands, and much more. That all goes with the territory and Brenda said on camera that they believe dance teaches their children that men should lead and women should follow. As for how successful they are, it comes at a high price. I have some amazing talent in my family and I bet most people here do too. The difference is that my parents were not stage parents and did not devote their lives to our lessons and competitions. They admit on their website that they can put in 16 hour workdays. Anyone's going to get good under those circumstances.

Edited by becca3891

I liked this show, but I can't respect anyone who really, truly thinks the earth is only 6,000 years old.  I can't watch and enjoy it, knowing what's going on in their heads.  :(

• Love 1

This family tried to launch a similar series on another channel several years ago - maybe CMT? I watched and was disturbed by how controlling and driven the father was. I kept wondering if there was a Beach Boys and Cowsills dynamic going on behind the scenes. I'm very wary of parents who insist on shoving their children onto reality TV.

• Love 1

I feel like there is a lack of understanding of what fundie, or to use the full term, fundamentalist Christianity, means. People here seem to think it necessarily means you wear skirts/dresses and forbid dancing like the Duggars but that's not the case. Check out the Wikipedia definition: https://en.wikipedia..._fundamentalism

Ah, I see. I was always told that it was the "stricter" group, which I took to mean in behavior, not Biblical interpretation. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ah, I see. I was always told that it was the "stricter" group, which I took to mean in behavior, not Biblical interpretation. Thanks for clearing that up.

I guess we need an official title for people who are not only fundy/bible literalists, but also are really against wives working outside the home, women's independence, pants for women, and dancing. I've seen them called Gothardites, but not everyone with those views is into Gothard, so I can see why you thought fundy was the best word. 

• Love 1
(edited)

This family tried to launch a similar series on another channel several years ago - maybe CMT? I watched and was disturbed by how controlling and driven the father was. I kept wondering if there was a Beach Boys and Cowsills dynamic going on behind the scenes. I'm very wary of parents who insist on shoving their children onto reality TV.

http://www.greatamericancountry.com/shows/the-willis-clan/episodes

All of the episodes are on YouTube; I'm about to binge watch it. 

Edited by Loves2Dance
  • Love 1

This family tried to launch a similar series on another channel several years ago - maybe CMT? I watched and was disturbed by how controlling and driven the father was.

Watching that show it's easy to see where/why Jair has anger issues. He's spent his life having to be excellent and failure wasn't an option. Plus, Toby has a temper that he could barely contain on the show, so who knows how it manifested without the cameras. 

In the new show, Toby seems to take more of a backseat to Brenda. I wonder if it's just for the show or if they realized his constant pressure to be the best wasn't healthy or productive?

Watching that show it's easy to see where/why Jair has anger issues. He's spent his life having to be excellent and failure wasn't an option. Plus, Toby has a temper that he could barely contain on the show, so who knows how it manifested without the cameras. 

In the new show, Toby seems to take more of a backseat to Brenda. I wonder if it's just for the show or if they realized his constant pressure to be the best wasn't healthy or productive?

Given that they weren't picked up for Season 2, I think they learned a lot of lessons about what is/wasn't engaging and what to say/reveal. I absolutely understand Jair now after watching those 6 episodes than I ever did before, while it also shows the rosey shades TLC filmed through. 

Don't get me wrong, they aren't the worst parents in America; but, Toby is not the type of father I would want raising my daughters. 

As for me, I like them because, while they may be fundie, they aren't continually hitting me over the head with it.  You can see by their actions and interactions that they have a relationship with each and have respect for each other.

Then there's that other group from TLC.  The contrast is stark and clear.

The Willises seriously have the love of their faith in their hearts and their heads and work together to demonstrate that faith every single day.  

• Love 1

It sounds like their version of ABC is in the new Target ad. That's got to be pretty good exposure for them

I've been wondering if that was Jessica.  It sure sounds like her singing.

I was SHOCKED to see that the Willis family is supposed to perform for the first time since their father was sentenced for multiple cases of child rape.  They are set to perform in May 2018.  This must be quite an undertaking for them to take the stage and perform again.   I wish them ALL THE BEST.  

http://www.theashleysrealityroundup.com/2017/10/16/the-willis-clan-announces-first-public-performance-since-toby-willis-arrest/

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I've found more updates on the Willis Family.  I've been posting, but, apparently no one is that interested any more.  Anyway, for those who are, I'll provide this link. Just in case someone stops by.

EXCLUSIVE: 'It was like a black presence in our lives.' Children of 'American von Trapp family' tell of the horror they suffered under their rapist father – but say they are making music again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5336675/American-von-Trapp-family-reveals-horror-rapist-father.html

• Love 12

Good God. I've only been following the trial/sentencing from what's been posted here, but that's the first I've seen confirmation that that the victims were the daughters, never mind which ones. Those poor kids, and Brenda.

I wish them all the best in their conscious decision to be happy in their current lives.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 5

It's really shocking, but, I suppose I shouldn't be.  You never know what people are really like.

People can be masters at covering up evil.  This supports my contention that while most of the public say that they abhor child sex abuse, hate child molesters, cannot tolerate such horrific behavior..........they are lying.  MANY of them are actually child abusers themselves.  If child sexual abuse was that hated, it wouldn't be so prevalent, imo.  The more that comes out in various industries, churches, communities, schools, organizations like the Olympics, the more we can see that a hell of a lot of people are doing it.  And we don't even know the half of it......yet.  

Congratulations to this brave and talented family.  I wish them all the best and hope that their tour goes well.  They certainly have my respect. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5

So it seems like it was just the 4 eldest daughters? The article said the abuse went back 15 years. So it probably started when the oldest girl (Jessica?) was around 10. It's so crazy to think he was so controlled about it that the other girls didn't know about each other. They said the whole thing was brought to attention when one of the daughters (Jennifer or Jessica, I get confused) told a counselor. I guess he hadn't started preying on the younger girls....yet. Those poor boys too. They must beat themselves up for never noticing. And Brenda....can you imagine? I would feel so much guilt. You trust the man you're married too. You never think it could happen to you. I'm glad they have each other and are attempting to move forward, but I hope they're all getting adequate counseling. Sexual trauma is something that can affect you in ways you never even imagine. 

• Love 4

The children have no issue with their mom, that we can see.  I suppose they need the entire family to heal together for recovery and that's their business, but, I have my own skepticism about how a father sexually abuses 4 daughters in a home where they are home schooled for many years and there is no vibe or attitude issue that the mother would pick up on.  It's just outside my imagination to see how that could happen.  To me, you would have to ignore a lot.  And, that's pretty troubling. 

Do any of you recall how one of the older sisters had something troubling her back on their tv show?  I can't recall her name, but, the issue was aired, but, no one seemed to know what it was.  It came out when she was struggling with singing and collaborating with her siblings.  Does anyone else recall that? 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The children have no issue with their mom, that we can see.  I suppose they need the entire family to heal together for recovery and that's their business, but, I have my own skepticism about how a father sexually abuses 4 daughters in a home where they are home schooled for many years and there is no vibe or attitude issue that the mother would pick up on.  It's just outside my imagination to see how that could happen.  To me, you would have to ignore a lot.  And, that's pretty troubling. 

Do any of you recall how one of the older sisters had something troubling her back on their tv show?  I can't recall her name, but, the issue was aired, but, no one seemed to know what it was.  It came out when she was struggling with singing and collaborating with her siblings.  Does anyone else recall that? 

I wonder how the mom could have persuaded the Dad, who seemed like the type to respond in anger to leave. Were the police on their way, did her sons stand beside her. It just seems odd that he left on foot with seemingly nothing. Scary guy and I always thought so.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I remember an episode where one of the dark-haired older girls didn't want to be the lead singer on a particular song or had stage fright -- some type of performance anxiety and was withdrawn and argumentative because of it. Didn't she decide to stay behind in the tour bus one night while the others performed? It's too sad in hindsight to read through previous posts to find the specifics.

I also remember a lot of us were looking at Toby through narrowed eyes because he came off as so controlling and unbending towards all the kids. Everything must be kept tight and uniform, just like his haircut.

• Love 2

I remember the episode where Jessica was sick, so I think it was Jasmine that was going to fill in for her. Jasmine seemed petrified to sing lead vocals and was crying during rehearsal because Toby was forcing her to sing. It was uncomfortable to watch when it aired, but it sure does put it in a new light.

On a side note, is the guy Jeanette (Jett) married the same guy that appeared on the show? I think she was shown on a date or something during the shows run.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 4
On 2/3/2018 at 2:22 PM, Misslindsey said:

On a side note, is the guy Jeanette (Jett) married the same guy that appeared on the show? I think she was shown on a date or something during the shows run.

Aw, so she married Cory, the musician.  Cool!  I liked him.