Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 5/11/15

5/11: John Legend (musician & Executive Producer of HBO documentary “Southern Rites”)
5/12: Tom Brokaw (author – promoting book “A Lucky Life Interrupted: A Memoir of Hope”)
5/13: Reza Aslan (religious scholar)
5/14: Rebel Wilson (actress – promoting movie “Pitch Perfect 2”)

Week of 5/18:  DARK!

• Love 2

5/12: Tom Brokaw (author – promoting book “A Lucky Life Interrupted: A Memoir of Hope”)

5/13: Reza Aslan (religious scholar)

I figured both of these people had to be coming on at some point before Jon leaves us.

Richard Quest is a fucking knob. I kept waiting for Ollie to show up and scold Jon over his "bad" attempt at creating a British Daily Show. Has anybody noticed Jon doesn't say "Helllll-lOOOOOO!!!!!" anymore?

And now, he's an executive producer of an HBO documentary. Is there nothing John Legend can't do that isn't awesome?

• Love 2

John Oliver went there before but the way the Labour chief was defeated makes me feel like the UK's voters aren't much smarter than the US. He makes an ugly pauseface while eating? Seriously? That is a major moment that affected people's votes? It seriously sounds like it wasn't much better than our 2004 campaign, even with the better campaign rules.

• Love 1

Raises hand!  I also thought Ollie would do a walk on and show Jon how to do a proper British late night show.  Also miss the "HELLLLOOOOOO!"

I really, really hope there was more the defeat of Labour than Edward Miliband being photographed eating outdoors.  He does look kinda like a younger Mr. Bean at times.  But other than that, I don't see the reason why that would swing the election one way or the other.  Reminds me of papa Bush visiting a flag factory during his first run at the White House.  And Michael Dukakis' unfortunate photo op in a tank that supposedly swayed our election as well.  Guess voters can be shallow on both sides of The Pond.

• Love 1

I saw one of the British debates (the one where Cam and Clegg didn't attend) and all the other candidates painted Miliband as Tory-lite. Which makes the results make sense, to me, anyway. If you like Tory policies, vote Tory, not Tory lite. Echoes of the fates of all the blue-dog dems of late.

• Love 1

Thanks attica, that makes a lot more sense (so was it just an idiotic media making eating in pubic a campaign issue? that clip did make it sound like that was a bigger deal than John Kerry going windsurfing) I rember John Oliver making fun of how the campaigned on womens issues but even that felt superficial, as a lot of it was about whether the van they were using was pink.

I'm on anyone's side that Jonny-bun's coverage of the UK election could've been sweetened by Ollie-Scone; but let's be fair, Ollie already covered his own version of the election (along with the unicorn reference) on his latest episode, so why should he harbor any appearance for TDS that has already covered UK-related stories without his presence?

Jordan Klepper going to London... so does that dub him as the new Jason of International Pieces? At least his piece demonstrated how UK elections are less contrived and less money-focused. And "To be continued?", it's been a while since a correspondent submits a piece beyond one segment. 

I heard about the segregation proms in Georgia in a Seventeen magazine article back in 2009. Glad John Legend is keeping the issue relevant to this day. Bless his soul. What can't John Legend do?

The video description for Jon and Larry's Toss sounds close to accurate without watching the video itself. Then again, now that TNS is new in the late-night roster, so he must be eager to join the softball fray and kick TDS' ass. Too bad there's no pictures capturing the competition.  

The woman Jordan was talking to was hilarious to me because she played everything so straight.

Citizens United has got to be the second worst judicial decision of all time at the least.

I'm incredulous that there is a segregated prom.

Well... tonight's revelation of Tom Brady followed by the 2016 election: Very awkward. Segue. Ever. 

As for the candidates themselves, can we just finalize Hillary and Jeb as the Democratic and Republic Nominations for Presidency???? Pleeeeaaaaassse?

I'm starting to have second thoughts about Jeb. I thought for sure he'd probably be the nominee, but tying himself to his brother, really? He may be even weaker of a candidate than I thought.

• Love 1

Mike Huckabee, fuck off! Trying to pimp a snake oil remedy for diabetes does not qualify you to be dog catcher, much less president.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about Jeb. I thought for sure he'd probably be the nominee, but tying himself to his brother, really? He may be even weaker of a candidate than I thought.

Even with his idiot of a brother lending him a hand, Jeb Bush still looks like best choice for Republican nominee when you compare him to the ever growing passengers in the GOP clown car. And I could have really done without Jordan as Warren G. Harding's ghost. So unnecessary.

If it's all well and good, I'll keep my dadbod covered up (and I'm not even a dad). Pride goeth before the fall, you know. Good of Kristen and Jon to show the double standards of body shapes for men and women.

Continued best health for Tom Brokaw.

• Love 1

I liked the piece on our election. Made me smile, which is more than the actual event did. And don't believe that money has no part in the UK system. Virtually all the press has been used to build a narrative of blame against those with the least amount in our society. Somehow, all our problems have become the fault of the people with no power.

I wish Labour would actually stand for something again. Sod it, if you're going to lose, have some bloody principles in doing so. The tories are ghoing to usher in more cuts for the poor, more ridiculous Union bashing, and this deliberately vague bit of legislation:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/13/counter-terrorism-bill-extremism-disruption-orders-david-cameron

Please note the astonishing quote:

“For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."

• Love 5

Wow.  That is a scary quote.  Yikes.

What Labour did sounded strikingly similar to what the Democrats did in the midterms.  They didn't seem to fight for their principles at all, and pretty much let the Republicans control the narrative.  Still gets me annoyed at how so many ran scared during those midterm campaigns.

• Love 3
(edited)

On the prompters the end of the segment with Kristen was supposed to go something like (paraphrase):

Jon - Can I please stop

Kristen - Good good, now you're getting the idea.

In fact, there were definitely some not scripted moments in the segment.

Jon really liked those maraca type things. Played with them into the commercial break. He also seemed to scribble on the script at the start of some of the video clips.

Monday nights show was done MacGyver style. Jon said they blew a fuse late in the afternoon so they basically had to string things together to keep the show running to be able to tape. Laptops for the script instead of prompters and brought in TV lights etc...

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 1

Tom Brokaw has certainly lost some height. (I dread that happening to me. I don't have that much to spare.)

Anybody check the Harding wiki entry yet?

Mark Halperin, stop making me feel sorry for Ted Cruz.

No one can make me feel sorry for that horrible man.

I heard a bit more about the fishing story Brokaw told: Apparently he had to be taken to the hospital via ambulance, which bumped along the unpaved road for 40 minutes or so. I think he checked out fine, but he knew he had to take it easy after that.

I think Halperin was playing a little gotcha with Cruz, but still, ha ha. You kind of had it coming. Someone has got to call out these people on their garbage. 

I heard the Huckabee interview on the radio Sunday with the "if that's the worst you can come up with." Deliberately misleading people with false medical claims? I think that's actually quite damaging to your integrity. He said that the infomercial was promoting good health and taking diet supplements. Bob was like, "uh no, it wasn't." And Huckabee deflected.

I have to think Jeb allying with W on foreign policy is rather short sighted. Surely, he has people on his team that take the temperature of the public to know this might not be the best idea. 

That was a terrible answer too. "Yes, I would have done exactly the same thing." Really? You would? You don't have your own ideas on how you'd handle that as president? Come on. 

have to think Jeb allying with W on foreign policy is rather short sighted. Surely, he has people on his team that take the temperature of the public to know this might not be the best idea.

A lot of Jeb's foreign policy team are the same guys who were advising his brother, so I'm sure they don't think anything was wrong with war in Iraq and don't give a crap about the temperature of the public.

• Love 2

President Obama has shown he has no fucks to give regarding Fox News. And neither does Jon. Picking on the poor, then denying you've picked on them when there's video evidence that says otherwise. Everyone who participated, line up for your beatings with a sack of doorknobs, starting with you Stu Varney you documented piece of shit you.

• Love 9
(edited)

Just like their viewers, the Foxholes have to be victims in all things.

Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster, Resa is still so freaking hot.

Edited by attica
  • Love 2

I don't know why Obama would give Fox News the satisfaction of calling them out. It's not like their response wasn't completely predictable. 

RA is well meaning, and certainly has something to say, but I have to completely disagree with him. If pro-slave/anti-slave groups are literally using the same verse to justify their positions, then I'd say the book itself is fundamentally flawed and should in no way be used as means to justify public policy. Yes, the bible was intended to be malleable, but if it's so malleable that it's falling apart, then what's its use? 

He is right though, if you're a bigot, you'll find something in the bible to justify your position. Sure. Completely correct. So if anybody can find anything to justify anything, again, why is this even brought into the public debate.

Getting into the religious pov, I don't get why people like RA don't just say, 'people who use the old testament to justify their positions are wrong and don't know anything about religion. The whole point of Jesus was that god wanted to renew his covenant with humans so Jesus came to make a new testament to replace all the old stuff." It's not like that's some radical position. 

I didn't watch the extended interview, so excuse me if this was addressed, but I would have liked Jon to have asked RA about the recent Pew study that showed millenials are increasingly less religious now. I would have disputed his 7 out of 10 number. 

He's partially right too. Let's put up all the good things religion has done versus all the bad things. I think bad wipes the floor with the good. 

• Love 1
I didn't watch the extended interview, so excuse me if this was addressed, but I would have liked Jon to have asked RA about the recent Pew study that showed millenials are increasingly less religious now. I would have disputed his 7 out of 10 number.

Aslan touched on this in the main interview. It wasn't about being religious per se—going to church regularly, praying, etc.—it was about using "Christian" as a cultural/social/ethnic label.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of identification by age group.  If you define "millenial" as between 18 and 34 (as Pew does), that still 24.5% of the population.  If absolutely none of the millenials identified as Christian, and 86% of the remaining population did, you'd arrive at 6.5 out of 10, which rounds up to 7 out of 10.

For reference, per this article, a breakdown of US population by age brackets:

• 12-17: 25 million (7.8%)
  • 18-24: 31.5 million (9.9%)
  • 25-34: 43.5 million (13.6%)
  • 35-44: 40.5 million (12.7%)
  • 45-54: 43.5 million (13.6%)
  • 55-64: 40.1 million (12.6%)
  • 65-74: 26.4 million (8.3%)
  • 75+:    19.8 million (6.2%)

Rounding up 5% is a significant amount of error and anyone submitting a paper with that methodology would be rejected out of hand. However, I'm surprised that the numbers are in fact that close. 

I do think Jon should have asked the question though. I don't agree with RA's conclusion that the USA is still a religious country, when the 'relative religiosity' for lack of a better term, is clearly declining due to millenials. Well, I guess, saying the USA is predominantly a religious country is a true statement, but there's way more to it than that. If the white, Christian population % is in decline and the millenials are kind of over hearing about abortion and marriage equality, what's this going to do to the political makeup, for example. 

I don't think RA was being disingenuous. He was making the case that there's still a place for religion in society, and I tend to think that it needs to be separated from politics far far more than it is, and I don't think it's overall influence on society is as great as it's claimed. 

PBS actually did a good piece on this. 

• Love 1

Please Jon, keep calling out Faux News every day until you leave.  And then keep doing it whenever and however you can.   Their hubris and lack of self-awareness is just incredible.

• Love 7
I don't think it's overall influence on society is as great as it's claimed

That was essentially his point -- many people who call themselves "Christian" aren't actually religious.  They're just replying with a label they acquired in childhood which no longer applies in practice.

• Love 1
(edited)

oh Reza, I will miss you, this is the only place I ever see you. I always want him to sit in Jon's lap (or Jon in Reza's) and cuddle.

It's not weird that I would like to see that, too? Not just cuz Reza's cute, but seeing two people cuddle makes me happy.

Anyways, Jon burned Jeb post-interview with Megyn Kelly that the only thing that can top that is the college student firing back at him. Such bravery to say that... :P I'll have to take back what I said about Jeb being the nominee if he can't run his presidential campaign under the campaign rules. It's becoming sad that money is always the priority in every issue. 

I haven't seen the tribute to Letterman yet, but I'm glad that after reading over the Twitter feed Jon did it anyways. NOW it makes sense why TDS is dark next week, unless someone can second my assumption. Makes me excited about watching the tribute tomorrow on their website. 

*RE-EDIT: Never mind. I found a clip online. Makes my assumptions even stronger. What a sweet tribute, Jonny-bun. Now I'm freaking out that it will be his turn soon

Edited by The Luvly Junkie

oh Reza, I will miss you, this is the only place I ever see you. I always want him to sit in Jon's lap (or Jon in Reza's) and cuddle.

Ewwww. Don't give me any bad mental images please.

After asking Jeb Bush a question like that, it wouldn't surprise me to think Roger Ailes would summon Megyn Kelly into his office so she'd be on the receiving end of several dozen horse whippings across her bare ass (and it wouldn't surprise me to think Ailes would enjoy it). But seriously, would the Liberal Mainstream Media™ go after Jeb the way they go after Hillary? (don't answer, as we already know what it would be).

Is there one more Back in Black before Jon signs off for good?

I figured Jon would pay Letterman a tribute before he would host his last show. WHY DIDN'T I CALL IT HERE???!!!

• Love 1
After asking Jeb Bush a question like that, it wouldn't surprise me to think Roger Ailes would summon Megyn Kelly into his office

Why? It wasn't a gotcha question, and Bush was the one who whiffed it. And whiffed it. And whiffed it.

Why? It wasn't a gotcha question, and Bush was the one who whiffed it. And whiffed it. And whiffed it.

And he's had years to think of the answer because only an idiot would NOT know this would be asked.

So Jeb is doing what Fox News accused Hillary of doing, not announcing candidacy so he can continue to coordinate with his super pac.  Course, Fox News isn't calling him out on it.  Instead they are throwing him soft-balls that he's still missing.

So Jeb is doing what Fox News accused Hillary of doing, not announcing candidacy so he can continue to coordinate with his super pac.  Course, Fox News isn't calling him out on it.  Instead they are throwing him soft-balls that he's still missing.

I could've sworn I heard Jeb say he was running for president during some news clip, and it turns out I was right. He DID say it, though he immediately tried to backtrack.

Loved loved loved the clip of DL on The Jon Stewart show. I watched that episode live when I was in high school and was sad for weeks. I even kept the final few episodes on VHS until earlier this year. A nice, nostalgic touch for the end of two eras. Thanks to the person who preserved that on the internets.

• Love 1

That was essentially his point -- many people who call themselves "Christian" aren't actually religious.  They're just replying with a label they acquired in childhood which no longer applies in practice.

They're what I call "sunburned [fill-in-the-blank]" ("Ooohh! Look at how sunburned I am!).  My brother-in-law's stepmother is a sunburned Jew - it's only on display when it suits her - as in to get out of attending Christmas or Easter dinners.

• Love 1