Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E21: Chapter Twenty-One

Jane's apprehensive about going to her high-school reunion because she hasn't achieved her goals. Meanwhile, Rafael tells Petra about Jane's custody request; Jane accepts Michael's offer to attend his commendation ceremony; and Rogelio confuses Xo.
(edited)

That was my reaction.  Granted I blew off my 10 year and there may have been a 15 year that I completely ignored, so who knows if there was a five I missed too.  But it seems ludicrous that at five years out of college, much less high school, any one would be expected to have achieved their life goals. She isn't even 25.  

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3

People really have 5 year high school reunions? And expect to have achieved their dreams by 23?

Maybe if their dream didn't involve going to college. Anyone who did would be just starting a career, or still be in school. My high school didn't have a 5-year reunion, but I know of one that specializes in teaching students who want to go directly into a "trade" or 2-year program; a school like that might.

I try really hard not to be, but...Team Michael here. I'd be okay with Jane on her own, too, but she and Michael are just so GOOD together. I think the actors have a lot of chemistry. I don't mind Rafael, but I'm starting to get tired of him and his issues.

Not the best episode so far, but a lot of funny little moments, mostly from the narrator. I wonder if Alex the high school crush is going to come back? Seemed like an odd, unfinished scene, the way he freaked out about Jane being pregnant. Looking forward to the baby FINALLY being born next week!

• Love 7

People really have 5 year high school reunions? And expect to have achieved their dreams by 23?

My high school had a 5-year reunion, but it was pretty much just about 30 people going to a bar together. I've got 3 more years until my 10-year reunion, but I don't have very high hopes for that one.

I think this episode made me switch to Team Michael. They're more stable. Michael is such an adorable goofball. I still think Rafael and Jane are hot as hell together, but Michael is the person I see her living with in the long run.

• Love 1
(edited)

I still have a tough time with the things Michael has done as a cop and the fact that he considered sacrificing her child in the beginning for me to ever truly Team Michael.

But hell, I'm kind of mad at Jane for threatening full custody which she would have done if she didn't have her mean girl epiphany because it wasn't about Petra or Magda, it was about being mad at Rafael.  She was going to punish her baby beause she was mad at its father.

But it doesn't matter.  This episode bored me to tears.  And I hate triangles because it's kind of rare that they let them develop organically.  So instead this episode was full of the triangle tropes I loathe.  Well, they have all been triangle tropes I loathe.  Stupid reasons for break ups that come out of nowhere (not the first one but the morning after "I almost had sex with her" one.)  Girl in the middle breaking up with one guy and wanting to be with the other so quickly--once can make sense in context but twice makes her look like a flake, guy hesitating on spitting out the truth and then the voice mail thing--which I'm sure will get lost somehow.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

I think small schools might have reunions closer together, but probably because everyone still lives in the area so it's more of a get-together than anything else.  My reunions started off as every 10 years, but as we all got older and started losing members, we now have them every 5 years, because you never know who won't be there in another 10 years.

I try really hard not to be, but...Team Michael here. I'd be okay with Jane on her own, too, but she and Michael are just so GOOD together. I think the actors have a lot of chemistry. I don't mind Rafael, but I'm starting to get tired of him and his issues.

I just find Michael so much more interesting and likeable than Rafael.  I'd be shocked if Jane doesn't end up with the father of her baby at the very end, but the relationship between her and Michael seems so much more real and deep, the kind that could actually lead to a long and happy life together.

Rogelio's patent leather lavender shoes cracked me up.

• Love 3

Jane seems so much better with Michael, he gets her and understands. Knows her and takes to time to actually be there. She seems more at peace with him.

• Love 5
(edited)

I just find Michael so much more interesting and likeable than Rafael.  I'd be shocked if Jane doesn't end up with the father of her baby at the very end, but the relationship between her and Michael seems so much more real and deep, the kind that could actually lead to a long and happy life together.

Rogelio's patent leather lavender shoes cracked me up.

I don't really ship anyone, but for me, this is a similar situation to "My So-Called Life" (an old and short teen drama with young Claire Danes). Both had the typical "Betty and Veronica" set-up - a "friendly nice guy" and a "seemingly unattainable dream guy". The latter was, as usual, more popular, but the relationship the heroine had with "nice guy" (whom, in most cases, I tend to dislike, actually) felt more real and more layered (although I suspect she would have ended up with neither were the show not canceled after 1 season). I think with JtV, it all boils down to what exactly this show wants to be - a telenovela or a closer to earth drama that tries to show real life and not wish fulfillment. Because Jane/Rafael is very much wish fulfillment.

There is also a huge problem with Rafael's actor (who just bores me) and Rafael being very underwritten compared to most other characters. He doesn't have enough personality and he also isn't funny (which is a serious flaw, considering how funny the show is).

Overall, I'm on the fence whether to continue watching the show after this season, mostly because the romantic parts of it feel very perfunctory and clichéd.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Ah, my TeamRafael heart was broken by Jane's glowing heart for Micheal last night. I like Michael - in fact, I like all the characters on this show. I love them, or I love to hate them. LOL At any rate, I was glad Jane changed her mind about custody. Rafael was relieved, but was still so sad that Jane wants to only be friends. Sigh.

Petra...  ARGH! Gosh I love to hate her. LOL I was wondering where Jane's mean girl epiphany was going, and then Petra and her mom and everything... Oh, it made so much sense, and it was so sweet! This was a cute moment between Rafael and Jane. Finally working together for the good of the baby.

The reunion thing was boring to me. I mean, knowing Jane, we all knew she was going to freak out. And she did.

Michael accepting that award was awkward knowing what he did (and what they showed us in the flashback). I'll admit, Jane and Michael are cute together. It's easy to be comfortable and at ease with someone you've known for a few years...

Xo interfering with Rafael calling Jane... RRRRRR! Xo! Mind your own damn business!

Rogelio, the singing, the platform, how Xo pretended to be afraid of heights... The whole thing was very funny.

The narrator had a big part in last night's episode. I love the Latin Lover Narrator, but it felt a tad odd that he had such a big role last night.

• Love 1

The show would be better if Raf died.

Now he's bogging down both Jane and Petra because of their Feelings for this empty shell of a character.

I prefer to see Petra interacting with Michael or Milos or even Lachlan than him.

• Love 1

Jane's been coming off a bit unlikable for me the past couple of episodes. I'm not sure what it is, or maybe it's just that I haven't loved the episodes in question.

I'm still steadfastly Team Rafael. There's something about Michael that rubs me the wrong way, and he's definitely not all "good guy" as he tends to come off. I'd be fine with Jane just being Team Baby for the foreseeable future. I also don't like how now all Petra wants is Rafael back when it's always been about the money for her. The corresponding love triangles are weak.

Rogelio continues to be he best!

• Love 5

Speculation: they really are going to kill Michael this season. Or maybe leave it as a cliff-hanger. I think Sin Rostro's going to want revenge on him for exposing her operation, and now she thinks Jane's his gf because of that photo of them together. Jane will be targeted but Michael will be shot saving her.

• Love 3

Speculation: they really are going to kill Michael this season. Or maybe leave it as a cliff-hanger. I think Sin Rostro's going to want revenge on him for exposing her operation, and now she thinks Jane's his gf because of that photo of them together. Jane will be targeted but Michael will be shot saving her.

And that would fit with the trope I've seen in telenovelas, where if there are two good, decent men in love with the main character, one of them has to die a tragic death.

• Love 1

I found the reunion boring, both Jane's predictable freak-out about it and the actual event. It's only been five years and they all have social media... what's the big deal? And I adore Gina Rodriguez but I thought she was overdoing the cutesy voice.

I'll be shocked if Juicy isn't revealed to be Rose. I mean, I don't think Luisa could lie to Rafael like that, or could resume a relationship with the woman who killed her father... but Juicy's hanging around a little too much. Why was she in that meeting with Rafael and Luisa? Yeah, she had the idea for the wrestling match last week but otherwise... bye?

Of course, now that I've swung over to #TeamMichael, he's probably going to be killed off... but perhaps like on Rogelio's show, he'll come back thanks to a bulletproof vest...??? LOL.

I'm hoping next week's finale will bring back more of that mystery and shock factor because it's been missing for the last few weeks in favor of (rather boring) romantic stuff. I feel like the show was better when there was more of a balance.

I think with JtV, it all boils down to what exactly this show wants to be - a telenovela or a closer to earth drama that tries to show real life and not wish fulfillment. Because Jane/Rafael is very much wish fulfillment.

It's a telenovela with tons of wish fulfillment.  If this were "reality" Michael's multiple break-ins, obstruction of justice and letting an accomplice go free wouldn't be given a pass simply because he was chasing down the bad guys--which was only sometimes his excuse.  Twice his decision was motivated by feelings.

Yeah, I get that I'm harping but it happened. 

Speculation: they really are going to kill Michael this season. Or maybe leave it as a cliff-hanger.

I could see there being a cliffhanger but I don't see them killing Michael off this season...not when they seem to be gearing up to swing the triangle back in the other direction. 

I'm hoping next week's finale will bring back more of that mystery and shock factor because it's been missing for the last few weeks in favor of (rather boring) romantic stuff. I feel like the show was better when there was more of a balance.

And this is the biggest reason why I think I'm leaving the show.  As so often happens, and happened with Ugly Betty, the show is feeling the weight of knowing what it wanted to do for the first thirteen episodes but not knowing what to do for the back half.  There was Aaron/Roman but that wasn't all that interesting or even that suspenseful.  Instead of building up a story to have a twist, it's going to try to use at twist to launch a story which I suspect may be a retread of things that have come before. 

I still have a tough time with the things Michael has done as a cop and the fact that he considered sacrificing her child in the beginning for me to ever truly Team Michael.

But hell, I'm kind of mad at Jane for threatening full custody which she would have done if she didn't have her mean girl epiphany because it wasn't about Petra or Magda, it was about being mad at Rafael.  She was going to punish her baby beause she was mad at its father.

But it doesn't matter.  This episode bored me to tears.  And I hate triangles because it's kind of rare that they let them develop organically.  So instead this episode was full of the triangle tropes I loathe.  Well, they have all been triangle tropes I loathe.  Stupid reasons for break ups that come out of nowhere (not the first one but the morning after "I almost had sex with her" one.)  Girl in the middle breaking up with one guy and wanting to be with the other so quickly--once can make sense in context but twice makes her look like a flake, guy hesitating on spitting out the truth and then the voice mail thing--which I'm sure will get lost somehow.

Xo interfering with Rafael calling Jane... RRRRRR! Xo! Mind your own damn business!

Jane's been coming off a bit unlikable for me the past couple of episodes. I'm not sure what it is, or maybe it's just that I haven't loved the episodes in question.

I'm still steadfastly Team Rafael. There's something about Michael that rubs me the wrong way, and he's definitely not all "good guy" as he tends to come off. I'd be fine with Jane just being Team Baby for the foreseeable future. I also don't like how now all Petra wants is Rafael back when it's always been about the money for her. The corresponding love triangles are weak.

ITA, with all these posts. I know I'm repeating myself but I hate love triangles, even when I like all the characters involved (and, though TeamRafael, I like Michael too).

The fact is, in this specific case, the one I'm liking less is Jane. Two weeks ago she was devastated because Rafael broke up with her. Now -again, after only 2 weeks- she's already falling back in love again with Michael? Seriously? Ok girl, you may be confused because, in your opinion, Rafael is now a monster and Michael a saint, but come on!

She's always very judgemental and her vision of life seems to be the only one universally acceptable to the point that, I agree, she's kind of unlikable now and I used to like Jane a lot. Gina Rodriguez's performance is what saves Jane to be, to me, completely unsufferable at the moment.

Besides, I don't like her behaviour towards both Rafael and Michael. She's feeling something for Michael only because she and Rafael broke up, but 2 weeks ago she was very different when he was around. Also, I'm afraid she's now more open to forgive him (and, by the way, as much as I like Michael's character I think what he did to Jane and her baby was unforgivable) because she's afraid to raise her child as a single parent, not out of love for Michael. At the same time, I agree that she wanted to punish Rafael -and therefore, her own baby girl- because she was mad at him, not because she really thought he couldn't be a good father or because of all the bad people at the hotel. And by the way Jane, have you ever heard of the term coherence? You didn't want your child to be around Petra because of what she did to have your baby... but, very conveniently, you're ok to have Michael around your child even though he was basically helping Petra achieving her goal?

Sorry, but I'm not liking how this season is ending, at all. I thought TPTB were better than that.

• Love 7
(edited)
And this is the biggest reason why I think I'm leaving the show.  As so often happens, and happened with Ugly Betty, the show is feeling the weight of knowing what it wanted to do for the first thirteen episodes but not knowing what to do for the back half.
She's always very judgemental and her vision of life seems to be the only one universally acceptable to the point that, I agree, she's kind of unlikable now and I used to like Jane a lot. Gina Rodriguez's performance is what saves Jane to be, to me, completely unsufferable at the moment.

ITA.  I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago.  For me, this show made a wrong turn after the first 13 episodes and GR won an emmy.  After that, the writers started to focus almost exclusively on Jane.  GR is a talented actress, but Jane is a tad insufferable in heavy doses, and, while JtV is billed as a comedy, Jane is not a particularly funny character.  She's the straight man.  She needs the characters around her to be funny and outrageous. They had that in the first 13 episodes.  XO was much more outrageous than she is now. I loved watching Petra scheme with her mother.  There was Roman and Luisa and Rose and Rogelio and Milosh. Now, Rogelio is the only truly OTT character routinely on the canvas, because XO has lost her edge and Petra is a tad boring without her mother.  In fact, I find ALL of the regular cast (except Rogelio and the narrator) kinda boring.  And I really cannot abide that silly love triangle.

They need to go back to their original formula. 

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 5

This show has really fallen off imo.  I used to be must see tv for me and I have skipped it for probably the second week in a row.  I too find Jane to be insufferable at times.  The whole full custody thing was a real turn off for me, considering the history that her and Rafael have together.  He didn't ask for any of this to happen and he has been very accommdating with Jane's requests.  He didn't use his money to get full custody for himself which he could of done all things considered.

I knew that when the writer's said that they love the triangle that it was going to be a lot of back and forth with Rafael and Michael but I'm already over it.  It just makes Jane look shallow.  She was totally heartbroken when he and Rafael broke up but less than two weeks later she's still in love with Michael?  Neither Rafe or Michael have wavered on their love for Jane so they come out smelling like roses.  I can't say the same for Jane.  

To be honest her quick leap from Michael to Rafael was poorly written in the first place.  It was kind of justifiable because her and Rafael had a moment a couple of years ago but they made her relationship with Michael seem shallow.  And Xo needs to mind her own business, she doesn't exactly have a great relationship record herself.

I would be far more interested in Jane focusing on being a co-parent with Rafael than in a romance with him or Michael.

• Love 4
(edited)

He didn't use his money to get full custody for himself which he could of done all things considered.

No court would ever give Rafael full custody.  This is one area where the court have an extremely strong preference for mothers, even if there were any other reason to deny Jane, which their isn't, as she's of pretty much unblemished character.

Conversely, I don't know that I think Jane's argument against Rafael would have worked, but it was less about whether that would have worked than what ugliness would have resulted from such a battle.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1

I'm not sure I agree about that. I think it could go either way. When it first happened Jane was basically an unwilling surrogate. But in the eyes of the law she and Rafael are legally both parents of the child.

If Rafael were still with Petra, I think he could have easily proven that they could provide a better home for the child. His money doesn't hurt either. With the best lawyers money could buy and/or Rafael using Alba being an immigrant against her, Jane wouldn't have stood a chance.

Jane's neurotic personality is starting to grate, along with her back and forth feelings between Rafael and Michael. I see chemistry with both of them and it seems like every week I am switching sides. I hope next season focuses on motherhood and less couple angst.

Bad feeling that the wrestler is Rose. She keeps butting into Raf and his sister's conversations. Poor Petra- she is going to get her heart broken.

• Love 1

I was so frustrated by the show, it took me a while to watch this episode. I usually can understand the point of love triangles, but here I really, really can't. I may be living in on the big river De Nile, but I just fail to see how Michael is a viable romantic option for Jane as long as Rafael walks the earth.

Single, not-pregnant Jane? I'd be all over this triangle, and all its amazing "wish fulfillment vs. reality" potential. But pregnant Jane, with Rafael as the father, and the show is expecting me to believe a viable romance could potentially exist between Michael and Jane? That is the wish fulfillment relationship, in my mind. That a young, single guy would be completely fine with becoming a stepfather to his ex-fiancee's child with another man who is still in love with Jane...I can't do it. I can't make it work. If Rafael was dead, maybe. But every time the show tries to tell me "Michael is totally a legitimate romantic option," I just burst out laughing. The show pretending that new mother Jane, with Rafael still in the picture, would pursue a relationship with Michael, who would become the stepfather to Rafael's baby and...I can't. It defies real world logic (or real-world-via-TV anyway).

So, this episode struck me as one giant exercise in service to the theoretical love triangle between the pregnant woman, the father of her baby and her ex-fiance. I suppose in order for me to get on board with a ship, I have to see an endgame, and I can't see one with Jane and Michael. Not with Jane's pregnancy and Rafael's continued existence. Kill Rafael and we'll talk, show. But until then, stop spinning your wheels and present this in a way that makes sense: that Jane is lonely, remembering old times, and that Michael is a nice, safe option to fantasize about when it's three weeks until your due date and it would be really nice to have a sweet guy who loves you around for support after the baby comes.

Come back to me when one of them is dead, show. Otherwise, kill this love triangle with fire. Or better yet, logic.

• Love 1

I missed this Jane/Michael. I remember the early, early episodes where they could talk about anything (besides the Michael lying bit...) and I just find that I really, really root for these two. It's a shame the show had to go the 'Jane forgets that she dated Michael for two years and they were engaged' route not long after her and Rafael got together. I wish they could have had more scenes together, instead of throwing them back into this love triangle. Barely five episodes ago, they were hardly talking. The writing for the triangle isn't as good as I thought. But I will say, I like both couples a lot so they did right on that. But I'm not sure if I should still love Jane/Michael like I do. Michael did her wrong, but Jane forgot about her love for him and treated him like just some ex, for the most part.

I liked Xo for doing that for Rogelio. That was sweet.

I can see that Petra is getting back to her mean girl ways, now that her mom's back. Now she wants Rafael back randomly? Uh, ok then. 

That high school reunion was boring, and that Stephanie Kocobitch (or whatever her name is) really was a bitch.

I really do like independent Jane. I may not like her custody battle, but I like single Jane who's Team Baby. I also liked her scheming to get justice for her abuela. So...I guess go Jane? Unpopular opinion? I don't mind her getting dirty. I get more annoyed at whiny, needy Jane. I like independent, sassy, gives no fucks Jane. But I will say, Team Rafael for almost getting into a custody battle. That was uncool.