Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 05/04/15

• Start Topic

No new weekly thread yet

Imagine that.... The View hosts are promoting Carly Fiorina another Right wing candidate.... although they didnt mention how she ran businesses into the ground and took golden parachutes from them

During the boxing discussion..... Nicholle shut down Martha Stewart's comment on the fight so they could snark about Jamie Foxx singing the National Anthem.... never went back to her either.

• Love 6

Monday (5/4)

Martha Stewart and Raven Symone guest co-host; Taya Kyle (author, American Wife); Harry Connick, Jr. (“American Idol”); “Must Have Monday” flash sale hosted by ABC News correspondent Rachel Smith.

Tuesday (5/5)

La La Anthony and Raven Symone guest co-host; Brad Garrett (author, When the Balls Drop); performance from Chris Stapleton (album, “Traveller”).

Wednesday (5/6)

Jeff Garlin (ABC’s “The Goldbergs”) and Raven Symone guest co-host; music legend Willie Nelson (author, It’s a Long Story: My Life); performance from Ciara (album, “Jackie”).

Thursday (5/7)

Raven Symone guest co-hosts; Tony Goldwyn (ABC’s “Scandal”); Patti LaBelle.

Friday (5/8)

Candace Cameron Bure and Raven Symone guest co-host; Abigail Breslin (“Maggie”); dog makeovers with Jill Rappaport; “Viewer of the Week.”

• Love 1

During the boxing discussion..... Nicholle shut down Martha Stewart's comment on the fight so they could snark about Jamie Foxx singing the National Anthem.... never went back to her either.

I noticed that big time!!  How rude!  And again RP puhleease I beg you get to your point FASTER!

• Love 5

Well so far Martha Stewart has been allowed to say like 10 words....

I hated the way they cut her off when she wanted to get into a serious discussion about boxing. I didn't catch the name of the boxer who she said is now as Martha put it "a vegetable in a bed". Once she said that Nicole made sure to turn the discussion to something different. I wonder if it was her idea or if she had the producers screaming in her ear? I could see it being either.

• Love 5

You know what never gets tired, year after year? I'm laughing just thinking about it. Every time there's a product section Whoopie interrupts the segment to steal a freebie! God that's funny. Year after year! No wonder she's a star! She's so spontaneous and fun!

• Love 14
(edited)

I hated the way they cut her off when she wanted to get into a serious discussion about boxing. I didn't catch the name of the boxer who she said is now as Martha put it "a vegetable in a bed". Once she said that Nicole made sure to turn the discussion to something different. I wonder if it was her idea or if she had the producers screaming in her ear? I could see it being either.

I watched only about ten minutes of the show, before turning it off in disgust.    I wanted to see Harry connick Jr,  I'll catch it on the DVR tonight.  

i was furious.   Who do they think is the audience for this show?   Most of the women, and many of the men, i know, refuse to watch boxing.  It's a terrible brutal sport, and I HATE  the glorification of a person as an "athlete"  when their only skill is to punch someone in the head so hard they get a concussion (Oh, let's call it a knock-out, that way we can gloss over the whole brain damage thing) .

Nobody will present an anti-boxing point of view?  Oh, Martha Stewart will.  OOps!   let's shut her down.  I guess she didn't get the memo that we're all in love with the "sport".  

Seriously, they're talking about the entertainment value of a FIGHT?   That the two boxers didn't hit each other enough, the ladies got BORED???  

Is there really such a large cross-section of people who watch The View, and people who love Boxing?   

And then the Jamie Foxx anthem - it was bad.  VERY bad.  Foxx is a comedian.  He should have stuck to comedy.   And they shouldn't bring it up on The View if the discussion is then going to be shut down with "don't hate on Jamie."  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 7

OMG-will they ever stop talking about that GD fight? This is the longest they have ever talked about a subject.

This was the first day after the fight..... at least they didnt do a full segment on the new Royal Baby

• Love 1

This was the first day after the fight..... at least they didnt do a full segment on the new Royal Baby

Not for nothing, but wouldn't that be what matches the interests of the audience more?  There was a heckuva lot of newsworthy things that went down since they've been live to cover outside of boxing.  And as much as I hate horse racing now (used to be a huge fan) I would think discussion of the Derby would interest more of the audience than the match.

• Love 3
(edited)

Raven, you want to be ENTERTAINED, with a boxing match with more punches, etc. I guess it just wasn't violent enough for you to be "entertained". Here is the article about former boxer Mago in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/04/sports/meet-mago-former-heavyweight.html?hpw&rref=sports&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

Check out the entertaining photo of Mago getting his head bashed.

I wish that Martha Stewart had been allowed to speak and open the discussion about the brutality of the sport, but as others have stated, she was shut down. (It might have made Rosie's head explode though, so I'm sure the producers made Nicolle switch back to Jamie Foxx and his bizarre rendition of the national anthem.)

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 11
(edited)

I enjoyed seeing Martha today. The panel sure shut her down with her opinion on boxing..... I happen to agree with MS. Then RP has to educate us and explain Mayweather is a boxer, not a fighter. WTF? I imagine the women he has physically beatened consider him a fighter.

Connick's interview may be in the running for one of their shortest interviews ever.

I think Raven is one of the worst co-hosts. She wants to be entertained by the boxers but she doesn't entertain viewers, imo. And good grief - her expressions are so damn judgemental.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 6

Raven, you want to be ENTERTAINED, with a boxing match with more punches, etc. I guess it just wasn't violent enough for you to be "entertained". Here is the article about former boxer Mago in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/04/sports/meet-mago-former-heavyweight.html?hpw&rref=sports&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

Check out the entertaining photo of Mago getting his head bashed.

I wish that Martha Stewart had been allowed to speak and open the discussion about the brutality of the sport, but as others have stated, she was shut down. (It might have made Rosie's head explode though, so I'm sure the producers made Nicolle switch back to Jamie Foxx and his bizarre rendition of the national anthem.)

Not to mention the long term effects, which she only has to look to Muhammed Ali to see.  I guess this is our version of gladiators.

• Love 5

I think Raven is one of the worst co-hosts. She wants to entertained by the boxers but she doesn't entertain viewers, imo. And good grief - her expressions are so damn judgemental.

Today really made me rethink my opinion of her. The more she's on the less appealing her co-host potential gets. At first she didn't seem to let Whoopi influence her that much if at all but now it seems like she's relented and given in like everyone else so the show can continue to be Whoopi's View.

• Love 5

Not for nothing, but wouldn't that be what matches the interests of the audience more?  There was a heckuva lot of newsworthy things that went down since they've been live to cover outside of boxing.  And as much as I hate horse racing now (used to be a huge fan) I would think discussion of the Derby would interest more of the audience than the match.

That is a good point NextIteration but as we know from years of watching this show... the audience is pretty irrelevant to the powers that be.... in fact.... Whoopi has told us over and over how much we dont matter. The reason this fight is being discussed is because of the history of the fight... They started negotiations in 2009.... It has been a huge issue in boxing circles..... It is also important to Rosie Perez.

• Love 2
(edited)

OTOH it was an opportunity to discuss the pros and cons of boxing as well as the character of  the boxers in this case. And tell us, RP, the whole point of men boxing to begin with.  

ETA actually women as well are boxers. Nevertheless....the point?

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 4

I watched only about ten minutes of the show, before turning it off in disgust.    I wanted to see Harry connick Jr,  I'll catch it on the DVR tonight.  

i was furious.   Who do they think is the audience for this show?   Most of the women, and many of the men, i know, refuse to watch boxing.  It's a terrible brutal sport, and I HATE  the glorification of a person as an "athlete"  when their only skill is to punch someone in the head so hard they get a concussion (Oh, let's call it a knock-out, that way we can gloss over the whole brain damage thing) .

Nobody will present an anti-boxing point of view?  Oh, Martha Stewart will.  OOps!   let's shut her down.  I guess she didn't get the memo that we're all in love with the "sport".  

Seriously, they're talking about the entertainment value of a FIGHT?   That the two boxers didn't hit each other enough, the ladies got BORED???  

Is there really such a large cross-section of people who watch The View, and people who love Boxing?   

And then the Jamie Foxx anthem - it was bad.  VERY bad.  Foxx is a comedian.  He should have stuck to comedy.   And they shouldn't bring it up on The View if the discussion is then going to be shut down with "don't hate on Jamie."  

The entire media world has gone bonkers over the fight. It was covered everywhere, from PBS NewsHour to SNL to every local station in America. It's just the way things are in 2015. That's what The View has been for the past half-decade.  A cursory cheerleading shout-out to whatever pop culture phenon is making news.  It doesn't help when two of the co-hosts are fervent fight fans. No depth, no critique.  And Raven only disliked it because it was too boring, unlike the hideous UFC.

I am half-surprised Martha didn't get up and leave halfway through the Hot Topics.  To be fair, it as sorta like Grandma back at the table, though.  She apparently thought the program was an open discussion of views, and hasn't watched the show this millenium.

Jamie Foxx has had a somewhat successful music career, with a couple number 1 hits.  Methinks he was (partly? mostly?) drunk in Vegas.

• Love 5

So, Raven didn't mention her upcoming appearance on Black-ish this week? After all, Black-ish is and ABC show, and she'll be playing Dre's (Anthony Anderson's) sister, who is coming home for Mother's Day, and just happens to be a lesbian. Or is that too much taboo for this show to discuss?

• Love 2

So, Raven didn't mention her upcoming appearance on Black-ish this week? After all, Black-ish is and ABC show, and she'll be playing Dre's (Anthony Anderson's) sister, who is coming home for Mother's Day, and just happens to be a lesbian. Or is that too much taboo for this show to discuss?

That may lead to people asking her about her own sexuality and based on her comments she doesn't seem comfortable delving into it.

• Love 1

That may lead to people asking her about her own sexuality and based on her comments she doesn't seem comfortable delving into it.

As I recall, she did come out a while back. I'm not sure but think it was a couple of years ago. Maybe she doesn't want anyone to remember she was on this show after it sinks all the way down.

(edited)

Raven is very eccentric..She does not want to be label Black or bisexual....She has admitted to being attracted to both sexes..It would be cool if she were talk about bisexuality on the show and her experiences as a bisexual black woman...The show lacks depth and engaging conversation. It is all about stroking Whoopie's massive ego.  Martha was a non-factor yesterday she was not allowed to talk about the dangers of Boxing..I hate the fact that Rosie Perez seems to not care about talking about the dangers associated with Boxing. I will not call it a sport because it is barbaric...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4

When boxing fans don't want to discuss the brutality of boxing, they call it "a serious sport." Right, Rosie?

I always enjoy Brad Garrett. I so wish he'd come out looking perplexed and asking where Sherri was, like he was expecting her to still be on the show. She played his cop partner on ELRaymond.

• Love 6

OTOH it was an opportunity to discuss the pros and cons of boxing as well as the character of  the boxers in this case. And tell us, RP, the whole point of men boxing to begin with.  

ETA actually women as well are boxers. Nevertheless....the point?

boxing is a discipline. It is a form of combat that goes back hundreds of years... boxing was part of the ancient Olympics. It takes years of training to understand and develop the techniques for boxing. The purpose is not just to bash someones head in. Although, it did use to be that way but boxing has evolved just like most things in the past couple hundred of years.

Once you have gone through the training you will want to compete against people of the same skill level. The purpose of the competition is to test what you have learned.... to utilize the lessons learned to protect yourself... to put your skill level to the test. Boxing is not easy.

There are basically 2 types of boxers.... brawlers which is basically what Pacquiao is... he throws a lot of punches without much defense.... throws a lot of body shots to help wear out his opponent. Mayweather is more of a boxer... a defensive fighter.... which was why people were complaining about a "boring" fight

Wouldnt it be so much better if conflicts were solved through sending champions in the ring against each other... instead of meeting on the battlefield to kill each other??

• Love 4
(edited)

Roger, isn't it the objective of boxing to knock someone out? I realize that it takes skill and discipline to become a boxer, but spectators seem to love the gore and violence, and that's what I can't understand. I don't want to see someone pummeled and possibly harmed for life for my enjoyment. ​ I guess I'm just a wuss, because I can't even watch someone getting beaten up in a ficticious TV show without putting my hands over my eyes. :)

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 9

The first segment was ever so charming -- watching Whoopi eat & talk.  GAWD!!!  (I know, I know, I said I wasn't going to watch live, but my downstairs DVR "cacked" on Sunday night & I have to wait til Thursday for the Technician.  Bummer!)

• Love 7

I'm a woman who used to like boxing. I did pay for that fight and I found it boring and unsatisfying. Don't really follow the sport now. I like most sports (go Blackhawks!) and fought in a couple of Tae Kwon Do bouts myself. That said, It gets tedious listening to Rosie talk about boxing. If I brought up hockey at every turn, I'm sure people would want me to stfu.

I usually don't pay attention to the interviews but I thought this one was a train wreck! Good grief is Nicole embarrassing. Did Brad G try to make her stop talking by waving his hand over her to put her to sleep? Lmao. He kept looking at Whoopi as if to say, why am I here and who are these people?

Glad the show sucks so bad. It's making it easier to wean off. Hiatus could fo it for me! :)

• Love 5

Darn....we were interrupted by an Emergency Alert System test during the Michelle Obama comments on museums. What I gathered was Rosie jumped on her soapbox and said SHE visited museums as a kid. What Michelle said was "many" children...not every single one. But I missed the rest of RP's defensive attitude which is fine since I missed some of WG chowing down. 

Didn't realize we (the universe) were spiraling down a black hole. Must be a huge hole......

It drives me crazy when people use cutesy words for horiffic  deeds.....WG - bonehead, RP  saying something about bad apples (?)  in every group.

At least Garrett now knows  NW is a Republican. 

• Love 8

Roger, isn't it the objective of boxing to knock someone out? I realize that it takes skill and discipline to become a boxer, but spectators seem to love the gore and violence, and that's what I can't understand. I don't want to see someone pummeled and possibly harmed for life for my enjoyment. ​ I guess I'm just a wuss, because I can't even watch someone getting beaten up in a ficticious TV show without putting my hands over my eyes. :)

Well Kenz... that is the question of humanity..... human society is quite violent..... most of our entertainment is controlled violence.... knocking someone out happens when the fighter is not able to protect him/herself.... but I see a huge difference between boxing and MMA/UFC fighting

• Love 2

The producers must be terrified of Whoopi.  No one would dare tell her in her ear not to chomp on camera.  Geez.  I remember watching the Oprah's behind-the-scene documentary and I was so surprised at how much control her producers (especially her EP) had on what she did and said.  And she listened to them.  Maybe that is why her show was so successful for so long.  Whoopi will pull her ear piece and slam it on the desk and yell at the booth to stop yelling in her ear.  Remember that?  I think I remember Star doing that one time as well.

I enjoyed how Brad Garrett controlled the interview.  They don't need to talk.

Loved the singer!

Still don't like the show.

The ladies were extremely high up in Whoopi's colon today. 

• Love 10

Whoopi is the great and powerful wizard of Oz. She controls the clueless. But all will be revealed when the curtain is pulled back and we see that she's a phony and not deserving of all the fawning and accolades. At least I hope so. A good actress? Yes, on occasion. A good comedian? Debatable. A good talk show host. Just no.  

• Love 16

The first segment was ever so charming -- watching Whoopi eat & talk.  GAWD!!!  (I know, I know, I said I wasn't going to watch live, but my downstairs DVR "cacked" on Sunday night & I have to wait til Thursday for the Technician.  Bummer!)

And what a cheap-ass show;  Whoopi announces (with her mouth full) that they "stole" all the leftover food and set decorations from the set of The Chew next door.  And yet somehow, the idea of this show scrounging sounds about right. 

I didn't even make it through the first segment.  As soon as Rosie P started up  explaining what the Met Gala is (and what a museum is and why it's important blah blah blah) I flipped over to Wendy Williams to see her dish on the celeb fashions from the Met Gala.

• Love 2

We have a Joy sighting today.... and the dad from the Goldbergs is a co-host.... he is really funny today.... and neither of the fake laughers are there today so the laughing is quite genuine....... although again The Goldbergs is another one of Nicholle's "favorite shows"... and she is a Republican ya know

they did talk about politics some... and both Joy and Jeff Garland were able to share their views

Willie Nelson is being interviewed today..... I wonder if Nicholle knows who he is

• Love 4

Whoopi had to announce that ABC & Disney do not condone the use of marijuana before they could discuss pot with Willie. So weird. It was funny when she tore up that card.

The show is all over the place today but having Joy, Jeff and Willie on is worth it. Jeff interrupted EVERYBODY, including Whoopi.

• Love 3
(edited)

Rosie Perez has been a disappointment..I love her, but, she is all wrong for this show..She is unable to put her thoughts together in a coherent manner. I liked her dynamic with the other Rosie...Raven Symone's hair is a mess, the blond hair ages her and her hair looks like hay...She needs to go back to a darker shade of brown or black....Whoopie is enjoying being the queen in her kingdom....She has nobody there to challenge her...I loved Joy today, I miss her...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5

Whoopie's fish comment was too much, so classless. I just can't believe they let her get by with some of her comments. Also she said her mom was a nurse. I always heard she was a teacher. Wonder how many professions her mother had. I like Joy but the fat joke wasn't funny.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't have a DVR anymore so I am not sure Exactly what was said, but something to the effect of someone said they smelled fish? and Whoopi said she would close her legs then. The panel and the audience laughed and cheered, I think.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 2

I find it odd that Ciara's song was so very similar to "I Will Survive." 

And the fish comment was completely out of line, imo. so crude. I can't even imagine knowing how she behaves in real life and not national tv.

• Love 4