Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: The Fallen

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I know a few people didn't see the chemistry between them, but for those of you who did, I honestly thought this was a really heartbreaking kiss... Even moreso than the one in episode 1:

tumblr_nn8vmvLGT11szp5l4o1_250.gif

They really knocked this 'not goodbye' scene out of the park!

• Love 17

I enjoyed the episode - with all the spoiling I felt safe enough watching live, so that was something. About the only thing I can think of to add is that once again, I feel the loss of Moira even more. What I would have given to have her acknowledge the force Felicity can be. Or to see her pain with her son selling his soul to save her daughter. Instead we get MM, not a fair trade at all in my book. (And I love the guy elsewhere.)

Agreed. She was so regal and elegant. I miss her too. This show needs more women who aren't used as plot devices for Oliver's pain.

• Love 7

I enjoyed the episode - with all the spoiling I felt safe enough watching live, so that was something.  About the only thing I can think of to add is that once again, I feel the loss of Moira even more.  What I would have given to have her acknowledge the force Felicity can be. Or to see her pain with her son selling his soul to save her daughter.  Instead we get MM, not a fair trade at all in my book.  (And I love the guy elsewhere.)  

I know Susanna Thompson isn't coming back and MG said the Lazarus Pits won't be used to bring Moira back, but I'd give anything to have her back. Oliver, Thea, and this show miss her so much. Killing her off was the worst choice the show has made IMO.

• Love 9

I'd actually like to talk about Felicity, more specifically, Felicity's plan to break Oliver out of Nanda Parbat. I see a lot of people around the internet sort of groan about how that plan was ridiculously stupid and I think that's the point? The plan was stupid, but it wasn't because Felicity is an idiot or anything. It's because Felicity was desperate, because there wasn't enough time to think things through, there was only time for action. Felicity trying to break Oliver out of NP was selfish ("I can't lose you again") too... I mean she just had a taste of what it was like to be with him fully, and she didn't want to lose that. And I know all of this sounds so terrible, but it made me love her more because it humanized Felicity all the more. It showed us that she doesn't always have a plan, that she makes rash decisions too, that she's not perfect at all. I really appreciated this moment of desperation from Felicity. People tend to hold onto things tighter when they feel like they're losing them. This was Felicity holding onto Oliver even tighter by trying to smuggle him out because she feels like she's going to lose him. 

Also I think that this episode worked for Felicity because it was a journey. She started off being skeptical of Oliver's decision, then supportive by tagging along to bring Thea back, then angry when she confronted Ra's and threatened him with all of TAs resources because that was her way of dealing with the whole situation... But after Ra's gave her that speech, I can see that Felicity started to realize that she could threaten Ra's all she wanted, but in the end, she'd still be saying goodbye to Oliver and I don't think that really registered until Ra's gave her that speech. That's why she went to Oliver after she talked to Ra's and honestly? I really don't mind that Ra's gave her the final push. Why? Because her instincts are usually to fight when she doesn't accept something, I think if it weren't for Ra's, she would've continued fighting and not have had the opportunity to tell Oliver how she really feels before saying goodbye once again. 

Was Felicity foolish to go to Ra's and confront him? Yes. But that just shows she has balls of steel and that whenever someone threatens the one she loves, all gloves are off. Ra's could easily kill her and Felicity knows that. But I don't think Ra's would kill without purpose (whether it's a part of a plan, training, trial by combat etc.)and would kill someone who's barely a blip on his radar which is why he didn't harm her. I think that's why the scene came off so well to me. Because he's genuinely amused by Felicity's 'fire' but respects it all the same.

I really don't like the whole Ra's/LoA storyline, but I do appreciate that Ra's isn't the conventional villain. His conversation with Felicity showed just that. 

• Love 24

I love that part of her plan hinged on Diggle or Malcolm lugging Oliver's dead weight around.  I can just imagine Diggle sighing and shaking his head upon realizing that he would be tasked with carrying 180 lbs. of pure muscle through the secret escape passage.  Good times.

• Love 14

I love that part of her plan hinged on Diggle or Malcolm lugging Oliver's dead weight around.  I can just imagine Diggle sighing and shaking his head upon realizing that he would be tasked with carrying 180 lbs. of pure muscle through the secret escape passage.  Good times.

I need a scene of Diggle and Felicity drowning their sorrows and everything is all sad and heavy and all the sudden Diggle is just like "What the hell were you going to do if I was Roy?"

• Love 11
In the Arrow fandom, at least, I see "fanservice" mostly being used as shorthand for "stuff I don't like about the show".

That cant be true in all cases can it, Thea/Roy barely had any shippers yet I rarely if ever came across anyone calling it fan-service. And a number of other examples. 

On the other side of the coin, those who are told that "its fan-service to you because its stuff you dont like" might say "if you cant see the fan servicing , its because you benefit from it". Maybe its just something easy to completely dismiss when its about a ship one likes. Of course it doesn't have to be a dirty word, like hacking it can be used for good, except CW shows have killed themselves due to misuse and extremes of fan servicing/pandering. So it actually is a thing to be cautious of for a show on this network.

Anyway considering Olicity has not attempted sex for almost 3 years, I would say thats the least fan service-y part of their relationship, it actually feels earned to me. Shocking.

Edited by Conell
  • Love 1

Did we ever find out why Felicity withheld her ILY?

In the ETonline article posted in the Spoiler thread, the following non-spoilery explanation is provided:  "As we teased, there was a very good reason why Felicity never reciprocated Oliver’s 'I love you’s' until tonight. 'That was very deliberate,' [MG] added. 'We were holding that back this season, the same way we were holding back them sleeping together. We wanted it to be part and parcel for that moment.'”

ETA:  What apinknightmare said above.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Fan service doesn't even go with Olicity imo. Their relationship grew organically until the showed forced Them apart this season. Though I guess the forced apart fits some kind of potential Fan service Olicity end game. I rather think about what the writers can create to fit the characters naturally and worry about end game a bit later.

Fan service to me is forcing Laurel into the BC role because the comic fans wanted it. Even though Sara was already the perfect BC in nearly everything except Name. And our Laurel fits nicely into a Kate Spencer Manhunter arc.

The show has already played around with names So I rather go with what fits the characters and story.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 10

Just watched the airing on Sky in the UK. They cut the god damn love scene. I didn't realise they actually cut the show. Will have to be careful how I watch it from now on!

I feel cheated...

• Love 2

Edit: I mostly see "fan service" used as shorthand for "romantic stuff I don't like about the show." 

Can we call what is going on this season with Malcolm "fan service" because seriously, why is this guy escaping any sort of punishment for drugging Thea to kill Sara???

• Love 5

Can we call what is going on this season with Malcolm "fan service" because seriously, why is this guy escaping any sort of punishment for drugging Thea to kill Sara???

And the fans the writers are servicing are themselves.

• Love 3
The plan was stupid, but it wasn't because Felicity is an idiot or anything. It's because Felicity was desperate, because there wasn't enough time to think things through, there was only time for action.

Hence why Diggle should have been the man with the plan

• Love 1

I wonder if she was going to let Dig in on the plan, but then Ra's gave her a talk and Olicity happened so she just didn't have time. I really liked that scene from her saying she can't lose him, to chewing Malcolm's behind out because (awesome). She did seem somewhat crazy and desperate but it was great. Even Malcolm could see she was not to be messed with.

• Love 3

Hence why Diggle should have been the man with the plan

I don't think he could've done any better? I'm more just really appreciative that while everyone else was just accepting the fact that Oliver was going to be the new Ra's Ollie Ghul, Felicity was the one who didn't give up and actually TRIED. Yes it was ridiculous, but she tried. And that's all that matters to me.

• Love 11

He's been in Nanda Parbat before and was a soldier...in a crisis situation I think he would be the go to guy.

He's been in Nanda Parbat, but that doesn't mean he knows all the secret passageways, exits, the schematics of NP, etc. Just because he was a Soldier doesn't mean that all his plans are going to work out. Trying to smuggle Oliver out of NP was always going to be a lost cause regardless of who planned it. I'm not trying to lessen Digg here, but he wouldn't be successful either. I would've appreciated it if he/Felicity/Malcolm tried to at least come up with a plan in the jet? But they didn't. That was sort of disappointing that Diggle just accepted Oliver's fate.

In the end smuggling Oliver out was Felicity's last hail mary. It was done with little thought, a lot of desperation, and urgency which is why I get why the plan wasn't meticulously thought out. It was very last minute. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 11

Just watched the airing on Sky in the UK. They cut the god damn love scene. I didn't realise they actually cut the show. Will have to be careful how I watch it from now on!

I feel cheated...

Isn't SKY the network of STRIKE BACK? Where Scott humps every willing female? And they cut a considerably tamer Olicity?

• Love 2

In the end smuggling Oliver out was Felicity's last hail mary. It was done with little thought, a lot of desperation, and urgency which is why I get why the plan wasn't meticulously thought out. It was very last minute. 

I get the Hail Mary, because they wanted us to realize that there really wasn't any way to get Oliver out of there at that point in time. They were within the confines of Nanda Parbat, and Ra's had just tried to kill his sister. There isn't anywhere Oliver can go to hide now, and if he left, Ra's would for real off Thea or Felicity or Diggle, and there would be no coming back via the Lazarus Pit this time around. 

So, the Hail Mary worked for me here. Maybe we'll find out later that it was some kind of a test run for something or to suss out how the League handles escape attempts for a plan to be hatched later? Doubtful, but maybe. I'd like if there was something more to it.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4

The episode kind of dragged for me. I also don't know if there was a big "payoff" with the first love scene being in moments of crisis instead of a planned seduction.   I actually don't care about Thea as a character one way or the other, so I am a little appalled that the pit was used on her, and not saved for someone else later on   Let's continue the bed hopping..was Felicity's body even cold from being with Ray just prior?  Then the line, "you're the last person I wanted to hurt," but I knew I was using you from minute one because I couldn't have what I wanted....ugh!   Instead of fire and spunk, I see a doormat in Felicity. She has all but went out and purchased the "morning after" presents for many of Oliver's lost loves, and even had to be gal pal to Sara. Waits around for him to "notice," her, now spends her time giving him inspiring lectures.  I love the tech side that she brings to the team, but they exaggerate her mannerisms and speech so much it is not cute anymore. 

I just feel overall last night confirmed that the writing this year has not been that great. The whole Ra Al Ghul (sp) has been a big bore.  The team of Diggle, Felicity and Oliver worked...as did the anonymity, and the bad guy of the week.  Now everyone knows who they are and we are subjected to these long arcs of one boring big bad.   Oliver being the rich playboy by day and growing business man was interesting, and the playboy aspect of it was just part of it.  Now it seems like a big soap opera totally dedicated to his finding his "moral" core. 

• Love 1

I feel cheated...

Other than Felicity grinding on Oliver like her life depended on it*, I can't imagine what was so explicit in the love scene that it needed to be cut, even for 8 pm.

*I am not mad. Werk those hips, Felicity!

• Love 2

Other than Felicity grinding on Oliver like her life depended on it*, I can't imagine what was so explicit in the love scene that it needed to be cut, even for 8 pm.

*I am not mad. Werk those hips, Felicity!

Slaaaaaay.

I loved Felicity's "plan" because it was so desperate and stupid. And especially because Felicity is never desperate and stupid, I found it endearing. 

On the day you say ILY, after three years, and after THAT*HAPPENED, a little stupid is pretty likely.  Even if you are a computer genius.  

What's really charming and endearing is that no super villain can even fight against OTP.  R'as is all "totes understand, Maseo -- I was shipping Olicity back in the throne room, myself."  And I caught last week's Flash, where Dr. Wells is fighting giggles when Felicity drops the mic.

• Love 7

Look at it this way, oh Brits: you get complete episodes of Downton Abbey, we get complete episodes of Arrow.

This does surprise me, though: doesn't Sky broadcast Game of Thrones? That flies, but Felicity removing her bra and showing us her back doesn't?

• Love 1
Let's continue the bed hopping..was Felicity's body even cold from being with Ray just prior?  Then the line, "you're the last person I wanted to hurt," but I knew I was using you from minute one because I couldn't have what I wanted....ugh!   Instead of fire and spunk, I see a doormat in Felicity. She has all but went out and purchased the "morning after" presents for many of Oliver's lost loves, and even had to be gal pal to Sara. Waits around for him to "notice," her, now spends her time giving him inspiring lectures.  I love the tech side that she brings to the team, but they exaggerate her mannerisms and speech so much it is not cute anymore.

Bingo, this hits the nail on the head how  good characters can get ruined by ships, how they can get sacrificed at the alter of a ship/male character. I would call this the Olicity version of Felicity, certainly not the character I was amazed with since the beginning. The worst part is that this isnt even the worst part...long way to series' end.

Edited by Conell

I think that's all the show runners' fanBOY service. They have a mad on for John.

Im not a fanboy & I love JB. But man have they seriously messed up his storyline this season!! Even I was calling bullshit when Thea woke up and remembered that Ollie was dead but Malcolm was her father. It doesn't even make sense in the timeline. I know she was supposed to be confused. But still that felt like the writers attempt to make us feel some empathy which I just can't in MM's case. He literally set in motion everything that happened to Thea. I can empathize with some villains on unfortunate or bad choices they made or bad things that happened to them. But I just can't do that for MM. He needs to be a villain you love to hate, instead he is just barely a villain that just runs around getting away without any punishment for the crimes he did. At least, remind us that he has an immunity deal (is hes does) or something so I don't think even less of the criminal justice system (or lack thereof) in SC.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 8

Look at it this way, oh Brits: you get complete episodes of Downton Abbey, we get complete episodes of Arrow.

This does surprise me, though: doesn't Sky broadcast Game of Thrones? That flies, but Felicity removing her bra and showing us her back doesn't?

Could it just be a time thing?  The intent was clear by the time he picks her up and walks to the bed so they would be able to save close to a minute of time and not affect the understanding of the episode.  I wonder what else was cut. 

I also wonder if there will be a number of missing or extended scenes on the DVD. 

Ermm..? *confused*

Let me share my twisted mind.  This was the original post:

No, no, no. Don't conclude it just yet. Tell me more about these observations and data... I mean, the science is so fascinating and all the gifs on Tumblr certainly make it look even more fascinating. Heh.

About the Lazarus Pit, how deep is that thing? Is it a bottomless pit?

When I first read it, I thought the question about the Lazarus pit was still tied to their request to continue my "science" research (about you know which scene) rather then them moving on to a different topic.  When I realized my mistake, I thought where my mind went was too funny not to share.

Hence my further "scientific" observations, this time about the LP.  AKA you can make anything sound dirty if you try hard enough. 

It's a deep pit.  Very deep.  And hot.  And wet.  Very wet.

Edited by BkWurm1

Some fans on Tumblr and Twitter have already been asking for the "extended" version of the love scene, but MG said it was "uncut." A total load of BS because Oliver and Felicity were definitely under the sheets after the flip! If they're smart (something we've questioned often on this board), they would have had a "director's cut" saved. Especially given how lukewarm the reaction has been to this season. They'll need to sell those DVDs ;)

Edited to add how much I enjoyed Felicity's crazy, desperate plan because it was crazy and desperate. It probably just struck after they made love that this was it. They were saying goodbye. So I can totally buy her suddenly panicking and going, "No! It's not going to end this way." Loved how she ordered Malcolm around and I'm with Morrigan, I really want to hear the story of how David Ramsey carted around Stephen Amell and for how long.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 10

So, to be honest, yesterday I was dealing with massive sleep deprivation, which I figured colored my response to things. So I decided to rewatch the episode tonight. For science.

New thoughts and things I missed the first time around:

1. Did the paramedics just head off after putting Thea on the plane, and if so, did they not ask if a medical person would be available for Thea on the plane? I get releasing Thea to Star Labs, but I'd still think they'd want someone there.

2. It's a small thing, but the episode does have a moment where the camera/edits pan between Felicity and the drugs they are using on Pitted Thea. Nice setup for later.

Kinda a pity that she didn't use the drugs on Ra's.

3. Is it significant that Thea recognized Malcolm – the evil guy – before recognizing Oliver – the hero?  Or am I just reading too much into this, especially since the show seems to have mostly forgotten that Malcolm isn't a good guy?

4. Felicity being very sure to shut the door to Oliver's room behind her.

5. Kudos to Amell for a half-second reaction shot to Felicity's "You have changed so much…" Amell has Oliver look away, as if feeling he really doesn't deserve this. 

6. The way the sex scene is set up to be both a love scene and Felicity's way of tricking Oliver. You can see that for the first three seconds Oliver would have been ok with leaving it with just a kiss. Felicity is like, yeah, no, we're doing this, and starts pulling off clothing, at which point Oliver is like YES THIS IS HAPPENING TIME FOR SHIRT REMOVAL.  Nice call back to her "A girl with boobs can get a frat guy to do anything." Well, almost anything, Felicity.

7. I'm still really dubious on the flashbacks this episode, but I think they might have worked if they'd been moved around a lot. Put the car/truck chase in earlier, and have the bit where Oliver, Tatsu and Maseo are questioning Bamford (heh) about the bioweapon after the bit where Oliver tells Felicity the story about killing the Starling City drug dealer, and then put the Hong Kong let's go get the food vendor scene directly after the chase through the secret tunnels of the League of Assassins, grouping that together. That way, you can follow Oliver's "I failed" on the plane with a scene that leads directly to failure, and, more importantly, you don't have the jarring moment where Oliver finally, after three seasons, sleeps with Felicity and then finds himself flashing back to interrogating a soldier, and Tatsu's dragging a blood stained sword down that soldier's chest which NOT THE IMAGE WE WANT AT THIS MOMENT, SHOW.   Also, it would have meant not interrupting the Oliver joins the League of Assassins with a stunt sequence, cool and dramatic as it was. I get that the show wanted Tatsu's "We can't just let people die," bit before Felicity's little drugging stunt, but I think that decision ended up forcing the other flashbacks to be where they didn't quite fit tonally.

8. Still cracking up at Felicity's little "Yeah," after Oliver's all "We can toast to us!"  Well, there's the drug problem….

9. Count me as puzzled as to why, exactly, Malcolm thinks he's free to wander around Starling City.  I mean, sure, he's off the hook for the League of Assassins, but this is kinda like the Boston Marathon bomber dude trying to argue he can walk freely around Boston. I hope Laurel arrests him. 

10. Is anyone else wondering what the other assassins watching that branding are thinking?  Like, thanks, Ra's, we deliberately worked our asses off to get here, and this guy? Not only do we have to kill people to get him here, but what does he do his first night here? Sex and drugs.  Ra's, you sure about this?

• Love 12

I actually have a question for you guys... While Felicity's plan on drugging Oliver and smuggling out of NP was ridiculously stupid, were any of you 'horrified' by her actions by actually drugging Oliver? I know for some people it would cause issues because drugging people even if it's for a good cause isn't the way to go. 

9. Count me as puzzled as to why, exactly, Malcolm thinks he's free to wander around Starling City.  I mean, sure, he's off the hook for the League of Assassins, but this is kinda like the Boston Marathon bomber dude trying to argue he can walk freely around Boston. I hope Laurel arrests him.

Yeah. Unless murder has a "sell by" date in Starling City, Malcolm needs to have someone find his LoA-free ass and test that theory about no prison can hold him. The Glades would probably send folks to help patrol just to make sure Merlyn stayed and paid.

Is anyone else wondering what the other assassins watching that branding are thinking?

New marketing line--arrowheads!

• Love 1

I actually have a question for you guys... While Felicity's plan on drugging Oliver and smuggling out of NP was ridiculously stupid, were any of you 'horrified' by her actions by actually drugging Oliver? I know for some people it would cause issues because drugging people even if it's for a good cause isn't the way to go. 

It didn't bother me (aside from my surprise that she did it) because it's one of those "would be horrific in real life, but accepted in fiction because it happens all the time" tropes. I understand why it bothers people, but considering that Oliver was tranq-ed by Diggle/Felicity last season "for his own good" and Barry got tranq-ed just because they needed his help and had no time to explain, I 'm a little confused by all the "she's crossed the line this time!" handwringing that's going on.

Plus, Felicity does apologize immediately and acknowledges that it was a desperate, wrong thing to do.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 12

It didn't bother me (aside from my surprise that she did it) because it's one of those "would be horrific in real life, but accepted in fiction because it happens all the time" tropes. I understand why it bothers people, but considering that Oliver was tranq-ed by Diggle/Felicity last season "for his own good" and Barry got tranq-ed just because they needed his help and had no time to explain, I 'm a little confused by all the "she's crossed the line this time!" handwringing that's going on.

Plus, Felicity does apologize immediately and acknowledges that it was a desperate, wrong thing to do.

Second this, plus, Oliver understood, wasn't upset, and loved her more for trying.  This was a desperate act.  That was made clear from the start but it's like before Oliver knew Roy was alive, he was wishing he'd tried and failed rather than not even tried, he understands the desperate need to do something. 

It wasn't about control, it wasn't about taking away Oliver's agency or breaking his trust.   She was risking their lives trying to save his.  He was sad that they had to face the inevitable but he was also moved that they and specifically she would go to such lengths.   

If Oliver isn't upset, then I'm not.  It's a non issue for me. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 11

How much will Thea remember about Roy? Will it be a reboot of that Channing Tatum movie where his fiancee got amnesia? Or what if she only remembers DJ Jazzy Douche

I think the amnesia was temporary and she got her memory back when they all got back to Starling. So I'm sure she remembers everything