Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E21: The Night in Question

Henry tackles the most important case of his career: the disappearance of the love of his life, Abigail, after she left him. Desperate to find out where she might have gone, Abe, unbeknownst to Henry, secretly contacts Lucas to help find clues to her whereabouts. Already involved in a murder investigation with Jo, Henry involves Lucas and the team of detectives under the guise of searching for "Abe's mother" -- never letting on his own relationship with Abigail. Henry and Abe's anxiety is ratcheted up as one terrifying domino falls after another until Henry uncovers the horrifying details of Abigail's last secret.

Promo:

If you guys hear a loud scream that echoes across the country, it will be me if my TV goes out during the storm tonight. :P

I'm really looking forward to this one.

• Love 1

If you guys hear a loud scream that echoes across the country, it will be me if my TV goes out during the storm tonight. :P

I'm really looking forward to this one.

The good news is that you don't have to worry about the storm knocking out your electricity or cable tonight and making you miss this episode.

The bad news is that's because this episode doesn't air until next week.

• Love 1

Yeah. I ended up watching the thing with the Avengers cast instead. I was disappointed that it wasn't on. I just hope its clear weather next Tuesday.

I really want to see what happens in this one.

I loved this so much! I started yelling "Adam" at my TV about halfway through, round about when Hanson went to the hospital to dig up info on the hit and run victim, but the whole thing was so heartbreaking. The final autopsy scene when Lucas had to correct Henry about how Abigail died was so well acted by all three of them. I was blown away. 

Obviously Jo doesn't know the whole story because no regular person is going to jump to the conclusion that her friend is an immortal human but its also very clear based on how ADLG played it all episode that she gets the emotional truth even if she can't make rational sense of it. She knows that Henry loves that woman somehow and its more than just caring about his friend's mom.  

I'm so sad for Henry. I wanted Abigail to be alive so bad somehow even if it didn't make sense. Knowing she died to protect her family is small comfort but hopefully it will help Henry. Also, poetry sex is super hot.

• Love 15

I loved this so much! I started yelling "Adam" at my TV about halfway through, round about when Hanson went to the hospital to dig up info on the hit and run victim, but the whole thing was so heartbreaking. The final autopsy scene when Lucas had to correct Henry about how Abigail died was so well acted by all three of them. I was blown away.

Obviously Jo doesn't know the whole story because no regular person is going to jump to the conclusion that her friend is an immortal human but its also very clear based on how ADLG played it all episode that she gets the emotional truth even if she can't make rational sense of it. She knows that Henry loves that woman somehow and its more than just caring about his friend's mom. 

I'm so sad for Henry. I wanted Abigail to be alive so bad somehow even if it didn't make sense. Knowing she died to protect her family is small comfort but hopefully it will help Henry. Also, poetry sex is super hot.

Great episode. So emotional. For a short while, I thought they were going to have Abigail be the person who killed/was somehow involved in the young woman's death. But when she was picked up by a dark-haired stranger, I was like, Adam!

But man, slitting your own throat to protect your husband. That is some powerful love. Beautiful strong person for doing that too. Wow.

I completely agree and Jo knew that somehow Abigail was important to Jo - maybe an aunt or some close relative. But doesn't Jo know Abe is Henry's "father" - I thought at the beginning of the series, she knew that, but I guess not, because then Jo would just assume Abigail was Henry's grandmother.

That final scene  - that I bolded in your post - broke my heart. And Lucas' reactions didn't help. He's always so jokey and goofy, but the last two episodes he's been serious, professional and supportive. Great character. And think about how Lucas, who so looks up to Henry, would flat out without hesitation say "I completely disagree with you Henry" and point out his observings. Amazing.

Poor Henry. At the end, when he gets angry with Abe when he needs time alone - that is a rarity from him to his son, so it packs a punch. Great episode, emotional, great characters.

It took me a sec to realize that yes, it was poetry sex. Holy cow!

Renew this show, ABC!!

• Love 6

THIS. So much! I love that she's reading him intuitively like this. Giving him a moment when Henry finds the wreck and Abigail's bones.

But man, slitting your own throat to protect your husband. That is some powerful love. Beautiful strong person for doing that too. Wow.

I completely agree and Jo knew that somehow Abigail was important to Jo - maybe an aunt or some close relative. But doesn't Jo know Abe is Henry's "father" - I thought at the beginning of the series, she knew that, but I guess not, because then Jo would just assume Abigail was Henry's grandmother.

That final scene  - that I bolded in your post - broke my heart. And Lucas' reactions didn't help. He's always so jokey and goofy, but the last two episodes he's been serious, professional and supportive. Great character. And think about how Lucas, who so looks up to Henry, would flat out without hesitation say "I completely disagree with you Henry" and point out his observings. Amazing.

Poor Henry. At the end, when he gets angry with Abe when he needs time alone - that is a rarity from him to his son, so it packs a punch. Great episode, emotional, great characters.

It took me a sec to realize that yes, it was poetry sex. Holy cow!

Renew this show, ABC!!

I'll address the second bolded part first. Lucas-and the actor that plays him-was great all episode. From the moment with Jo and his throwing out he's Henry's bestfriend and then stating her and Henry would be his favourite couple ever, to him finding out about Henry's home lab (which I'm so happy for him to have been invited into the inner circle to be told about it), and then for the more serious sections. Just perfect.

Now as for the the first part. I'm kind of curious as to why Abigail felt so strongly about keeping Adam away from Henry that she'd go through such drastic measures. I mean, was it just because he threatened to kill that girl? I know Adam said she thought he was going to harm Henry, but how did she come to that conclusion? And again, Henry's an immortal... yes torture could happen, but what would make her jump to that conclusion?And then it only set Adam back by 30 years, which I'm now curious why that long and how did he find Henry exactly? I guess, despite Adam's extreme measures at times, I don't feel like he's quite so terrible. I'm not even sure he'd have actually hurt that woman, so far he's only killed Henry-who he knew would come back-and set up a serial killer to die. (And I think I'm missing another, but also think that was a killer as well.)

And yes that intimate poetry scene... wowee hot!

Also, Dt. Hansen's "love them on a budget" and going out of the way to help out Jo, and the fact that she's his favourite person/partner in the precinct made me love him even more. I think that may factor into the story later when Henry's secret is outed to Jo (and maybe even Hansen?). Gah! Sooo hoping this get's renewed. I need more! 

Edited by Check Sanity
  • Love 4

There is no such colour as British Racing Green.  Colours close to that on the judge's car are popular, but over the years, British racing cars have been painted a wide range of hues and shades of green, from a light olive to a very dark.  It is not correct to point to any one shade of green and say that it is, or is not, British Racing Green.

Henry's face after Lucas's "You're a beautiful man..." comment:  Priceless!

As soon as I heard about Abigail leaving with a mysterious stranger, I knew it was Adam.  In no time, I had figured out that it had to be him that was knocked off the motorcycle.

Good episode.  ADLG wasn't all weird about the moment  at the end of the last episode.  Hanson was his usual capable, affable self, the Lt. was cool, and Lucas was great.  Abe and Henry also played their parts well.  My only nit-pick is that I doubt you can spot a shallow grave by soil subsidence all of 25 years later.

• Love 1

So is Henry going to tell Abe the whole truth about Adam's involvement? Or will he keep that a secret because he somehow thinks that will protect Abe?

I, too, was hoping against hope that Abigail was somehow alive, not because I like her as a character but because Henry and Abe both love her. Her death does provide some closure so at least they aren't wondering if she is still out there somewhere hiding. And now they know that she wanted them to be a family again, which must be a small comfort.

When Henry went to look for the root cellar, I wondered why he didn't just ask the woman who owned the property. Then I thought that maybe he thought she was somehow involved and covering up details of Belinda's murder, but if that were true then you'd think Jo wouldn't go to the house and ask to use her landline to call Hanson back.

As soon as the judge said that Abigail left with dark haired man in his 30s, I just knew it was Adam because, duh, tv rules. I liked the twist at the end knowing that Adam tried to save her, even if it was for his own selfish purposes. I know that it's easy for Henry to villainize Adam as the bad guy (and for good reason), but it's nice to see that Adam isn't a complete caricature of evil. But I do find it hard to believe that Adam would tell a random nurse to kill him because he's immortal and would come back to life unharmed. That could get you thrown in the psych ward!

Jo and Lucas were awesome this week (as were Mike and the lieutenant - loved her once again giving her tacit permission to Henry to get to the bottom of things). Just when you think that Lucas's man crush on Henry can't get any bigger, it does. He's flush with the thrill of being Henry's new BFF (hee!) and then his heart and brain almost explode with happiness when he sees Henry's lair. I love that Henry now trusts Lucas enough to let him know about his home lab. Their relationship has really grown since the beginning of the season. But what I also really liked is that despite Lucas idolizing Henry, he was brave enough to share his conclusions about the cause of Abigail's death, but in a gentle way (when he said her throat had been cut, I was afraid that Adam cut her throat while she was driving which was what caused the car crash).

Similarly, I loved that Jo recognized very early on that the person they were looking for was important to Henry too, not just Abe, and that she wanted to give him space when they found Belinda's body. I'm surprised that she pressed him so hard about what Abigail meant to Henry, not just Abe. Since she knows that they were looking for Abe's mom and Abe is twice as old as Henry, I thought she would assume that Abigail was like a grandmother to him but she seemed to know that it was more than something that simple.

It was great to see Mike offer to stop at the hospital on his way to skiing with the family. I'm sure the kids were thrilled about that!

As much as I liked everyone in this episode, I am still circling back to poor Henry and Abe. They must be so heartbroken.

• Love 2

There is no such colour as British Racing Green.  Colours close to that on the judge's car are popular, but over the years, British racing cars have been painted a wide range of hues and shades of green, from a light olive to a very dark.  It is not correct to point to any one shade of green and say that it is, or is not, British Racing Green.

Officially and historically, a variety of shades have fallen under the title, but Henry's colloquial use is common and widespread, and if you use the term currently, nine out of ten people would picture a forest or hunter green like the judge's car.

• Love 3

...Obviously Jo doesn't know the whole story because no regular person is going to jump to the conclusion that her friend is an immortal human but its also very clear based on how ADLG played it all episode that she gets the emotional truth even if she can't make rational sense of it. She knows that Henry loves that woman somehow and its more than just caring about his friend's mom...

I love to speculate, in general, and this plot point is still wide open. Maybe Jo thinks Abe's mother is Henry's grandmother and that Henry's mother or father was illegitimate, so he never met his grandmother. Or if Jo, as a detective, has noticed Abe's number tattoo from the Nazi camp, she would have to suppose that his mother was a survivor as well. Then, with Henry being British, she might wonder if Abe's mother was Henry's nanny.

...It took me a sec to realize that yes, it was poetry sex. Holy cow!

Indeed! Directors, camera people, editors, and actors take note: When done right, less really is more.
  • Love 5

Officially and historically, a variety of shades have fallen under the title, but Henry's colloquial use is common and widespread, and if you use the term currently, nine out of ten people would picture a forest or hunter green like the judge's car.

So, we are agreed! 

If and when I ever paint a sports car, it will be BRG, by which I mean a shade similar to that which the Judges car was painted, because I actually like it.  I've had friends paint cars a lime green, and also a shade so dark it was nearly black, and in both cases refer to it as BRG.

The point I was trying to make in my original post was that Henry wasn't correct to say that the Judge's car was slightly the wrong shade for it to be BRG, because there is no definitive shade of green that can claim to be the One True BRG.

• Love 1

We are totally agreed! Especially with your addendum- I was just coming back to add something similar after a moment of  "wait, shoot, I forgot to say...!" The judge's car was totally what most people would call BRG, and Henry was just being difficult. Which is not exactly unusual, I guess.

• Love 1

I love how everyone on this show is so good-- good at their jobs, good hearted, good friends, just good. The entire ensemble is good-- not just the characters, but also the acting and the writing and the sets and costuming, just everything about it is good. Even half the crimes are done by accident, or out of patheticness, rather than deliberately and for profit. The show is so lacking in cynicism, while still delivering a deserved condemnation of corruption, "insane asylum" abuses, slavery, concentration camps, the really big bads are acknowledged and yet the core of the show is so insistently love-based-- amazing.

I thought tonight's episode was going to be the finale, but I'm glad to see there's one more.

Also, the characters are such adults! They aren't acting like overgrown teenagers. It's refreshing.

• Love 22

Wao, I liked this episode so much! I wasn't expecting a good resolution to the Abigail plot, but they surely delivered! They restored the character of Abigail, who I thought of selfish and cruel if she had just left her family like that. But I'm also glad that they didn't go the convoluted route of someone kidnapping her or some larger mystery.

And I'm also glad that they didn't had Adam kill her just because. It was a serious of unfortunate gratuitous events that led to her death. Of course, Adam has some kind of responsibility, but like Check Sanity said, why was she so afraid of him that she decided to take her own life rather than telling Adam about Henry? Granted, he was sounding very menacing and creepy (his sole face gives me the creeps!), but she must have understood how desperate an Immortal would feel to finally meet one of their own. Plus, I know she was trying to protect him, but she didn't think Henry would be highly interested in meeting someone like him? It's not like they knew Adam was a psychopath yet. That's something that at least they should have discussed together. Henry had a right to know about Adam and together they should have decided the best course to take. That's the only part I didn't like. Well, that and Henry not telling Abe about Adam's involvement in his mother death. It's the constant keeping of secrets I hate. Like these people don't have decades dealing with the most dangerous secret of all, you'd think they'd have more faith in talking things through, instead of not sharing anything to "protect" the other. But I hope he does tell him in the next episode and I hope we get at least a second season!!!

• Love 1

I'm not completely convinced Adam didn't intend to harm Abigail after she told him what he wanted to know. Also, Adam has been alive long enough to know that looking really sad and explaining to Abigail that he just wanted to meet someone like himself so he didn't feel so alone would have been a more effective tactic than threatening a young woman.

The fact that he showed up to her house with a knife and so casually threatened that girl would have convinced me Adam might hurt Henry so I understand why Abigail thought that. People with innocent intentions don't threaten others with knives.

Is it just me or had Adam's voice gotten more menacing than in previous episodes? I've seen the acor in several different roles so I know the raspy voice is a choice for the character and not his natural speaking voice.

So cute the way Henry showed Lucas the home lab--it was like the medical examiner version of a secret clubhouse.

Edited by Athena5217
  • Love 9

I know that Henry is supposed to be the character we are really invested in, with Jo and Abe coming in a close tie for 2nd.

But every episode has me loving Lucas more and more!

I love the way the actor has taken a similar part to the one he played in Bones (lab rat / squint) and made it a COMPLETELY different character. And a very compelling one at that.

By contrast, Ioan G seems to be over-acting some of the time. That scene with Jo in the last episode (when she reveals she bailed on the Paris trip) showed he can do subtlety quite well... I just wish he would more often. Tonight struck a good balance though.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 6

I've just started watching so I'm a little lost on a few things but most of it is easy to follow.  I love Judd Hirsch and this ep really had so many wonderful twists and turns. 

the heartbreak of Henry and yet he seems to forget that his son is feeling it too.  My only nitpick.

I agree about the poetry and everyone has already said what I liked about the ep.  Hopefully the ratings have improved so we can get a second season.  Lots to love about this one though.

• Love 1
Wao, I liked this episode so much! I wasn't expecting a good resolution to the Abigail plot, but they surely delivered!

I think the character most prominently featured must be the contrivance fairy.  Adam just happened to be biking down a road and become embroiled in a murder plot (two murders if you count the Judge who thought he'd killed a guy) and just happened to get nursed back to health by one of the two people on earth who knew immortals exist.  And Adam was convinced that Abigail knew this because she showed no reaction to his explanation that he's immortal, not, you know, just showing blank sympathy to an accident victim who's obviously out of his mind and thinks he can't be killed.  That's some amazing coincidences.

And what made Abigail think that cutting her own throat would protect Henry?  Surely Adam would have enough to start investigating Abigail's life and come across Henry anyway (which is what may have happened).  And protect Henry from what?  Finding out that there's another immortal around might be as wonderful a bit of news for him as it was for Adam.  Of all of Abigail's possible moves, this one seemed the most odd and plot-advancing.

Also, no way Henry wouldn't have been able to tell at a glance that the first pile of bones was way too young to be Abigail, the teeth alone would have been a dead giveaway.  

• Love 1

Everyone's said pretty much all about this episode. I'll just chime in my agreement. Heartbreaking, so heartbreaking. And that final scene in autopsy when Lucas corrects Henry (and Henry tells him "well done" or something like that)... oh, my heart. So powerful and beautifully done. 

I felt Henry's heartbreak as he got more and more desperate for answers, and when he finally dug up Abigail's grave. I loved how Henry shepherded Abe away from the first body, when they thought it was Abigail, giving his son support. I loved how Jo held back the police officer, telling him to give Henry a moment. And I love how Reese gave Henry leeway to go interrogate the sheriff. It was just so well done.

I really want them to renew the show. I know there's probably not much hope in that at this point, and maybe it's for the best because they'd have to string out Henry's secret for far too long and annoy the audience when we want to see character development and relationship development. But I really would like to see this all play out. One final episode is not enough.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 4

This one packed good emotional punch, but of course I do have some nitpicks. Was it just me, or was there something odd about the sound when they were walking downt he hallway questioning the judge the first time? Some music kicked in that was louder than it should have been and I couldn't even hear some of the dialog. It was like some of the dialog was muffled briefly, and the annoying music continued for a bit. And then I felt that the music near the end was distracting.

I will just accept that they are going to fudge things in terms of forensic evidence and such, because I really don't think there is a way to determine that someone cut their own throat from just bones.

I loved that Lucas knew when to be serious and he could tell how upset Henry was, but didn't ask questions about it. He just accepted that Henry was upset and he seemd to be concerned about him.

I loved the look of panic on Adam's face as he was trying to save Abbigail in the flashback. Now, for plot nitpicks: I actually can sort of buy that Adam let slip that he was immortal because he had a head injury and might not have been thinking logically. I don't really buy that he would have been lucid enough to have noticed that Abbigail believed him or come to the conclusion that she'd met another immortal person before. And then why did Abbigail think Adam wanted to hurt Henry? Wouldn't it have made more sense for her to assume that it might make Henry feel better to know he wasn't alone? I don't think her intuition alone would have been enough to get her to slit her own throat. That part didn't really make sense. But what's done is done.

I am looking forward to the next episode. I'm sort of hoping that Jo will finally be brought in on the secret-- although I would love it if Lucas found out. I do wish that Henry and Adam weren't enemies though. Adam is a very interesting character and there is a lot they could do with his background and such. I still did enjoy this episode.

I think the character most prominently featured must be the contrivance fairy.  Adam just happened to be biking down a road and become embroiled in a murder plot (two murders if you count the Judge who thought he'd killed a guy) and just happened to get nursed back to health by one of the two people on earth who knew immortals exist.  And Adam was convinced that Abigail knew this because she showed no reaction to his explanation that he's immortal, not, you know, just showing blank sympathy to an accident victim who's obviously out of his mind and thinks he can't be killed.  That's some amazing coincidences.

And what made Abigail think that cutting her own throat would protect Henry?  Surely Adam would have enough to start investigating Abigail's life and come across Henry anyway (which is what may have happened).  And protect Henry from what?  Finding out that there's another immortal around might be as wonderful a bit of news for him as it was for Adam.  Of all of Abigail's possible moves, this one seemed the most odd and plot-advancing.

Also, no way Henry wouldn't have been able to tell at a glance that the first pile of bones was way too young to be Abigail, the teeth alone would have been a dead giveaway.

You are, of course, as right, henripootel, as was the little boy who declared that the emperor had no clothes. But rather than being angry at you for bursting my bubble of happiness with the episode's conclusion of the mystery of Abigail, I am going to assume that this plot resolution either was contrived to tie up loose ends in the event of it being a one-season series, or that Evil Adam is lying. Perhaps he slit her throat in a way to make it look like she did it. But that doesn't explain Henry's failure to recognize the age of the young woman's skeletal remains more readily. IDK, would 20 years in the ground make them harder to determine? Perhaps the teeth had changed through some natural process?
  • Love 1

I could see Henry being too emotionally distraught (already thinking it's Abigail) that he couldn't concentrate on the details. Even in that final scene in autopsy, he was just so overcome with loss that he didn't notice the fine details. He couldn't or didn't want to see it, because it was too painful. So Lucas had to speak up. (And I loved that he did, so much more carefully than his description of the first victim's death.)

• Love 11

I thought both his misdiagnosis had more to do with his emotional state than anything else. That's a major reason why love ones are often not allowed to work on their murder cases. Emotions cloud your judgement more often than not.

Henry was overwrought the whole episode.

I really enjoyed the episode. I'm glad that Abigail was redeemed in the end.

I understood why she didn't want Adam to find Henry and took such extreme measures. Adam is not a nice person. He made no effort to conceal that in his dealings with Abigail. All I heard while he was trying to "save" her is me,me,me.

I would also wager that Abigail and Henry had met zealots like Adam before. I have no doubt that Henry's secret was discovered before now.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 5

On a side note, I really loved the look Henry gave Jo when he told her that her stopping by his place (when she didn't go to Paris) was hardly anything that would make him uncomfortable. The expression on his face was delicious. *GRIN*

• Love 4

I can't believe we have to wait another two weeks to see how Henry and Abe deal with the news about Abigail!  I came to this series in mid-season, but it has totally won me over, especially the last two episodes.  Last night's show especially highlighted how supportive all the main characters are of each other.   No drama queens, just quiet support.  Lucas becomes more adorable every week; I think he would be the most open-minded if Henry had to spill his secret to someone in an emergency. 

• Love 3
But that doesn't explain Henry's failure to recognize the age of the young woman's skeletal remains more readily. IDK, would 20 years in the ground make them harder to determine? Perhaps the teeth had changed through some natural process?

Not to compromise my secret identity, shifter, but this question is 'in my wheelhouse' so here's my professional opinion: nope.  The kinda things that make it possible to estimate age in skeletons (more or less) are readily apparent after you clean them up, some (like teeth wear) even before that.  It's not a perfect science this but a 20-year-old vs. someone in their 70s?  That'd be like not noticing the difference between a tesla and a 57 chev - some things are readily discernible.

I could see Henry being too emotionally distraught (already thinking it's Abigail) that he couldn't concentrate on the details.

If it was anyone other than Henry Morgan I might buy this, but the most pedantic man on earth looking right at the most important thing to him in his long immortal life?  He'd have to be nearly incoherent to miss that.  More likely he'd be hyper-inductive (and jump to conclusions like 'Abigail must still be alive!' or other unsupported conclusions) rather than his vaunted faculties deserting him in time of crisis.  It was a nice scene with Lucas with him getting to draw Henry's attention to something for a change, but I didn't buy it for a second.  

And I'll skate right past Henry deducing from a 30-year-old memory of a half-seen man that Adam was involved.  Oy gevalt.  

I'm glad they cleared up the Abigail story, still kind of shitty to abandon your family at any age, but she sacrificed herself for Henry. It was heartbreaking to see Henry and Abe find out what happened to her, however I'm glad that stories closed, I didn't want her popping up again.

I'm in agreement that we finally have a show where people act like adults and support each other, it's refreshing. That's probably why it's going to get cancelled. We can't have that on television, everyone needs to act like teenagers to make forced drama. Jo being worried that things would be awkward from her almost confession of wanting to go to Paris with Henry and he was like it would take a lot more than that to make me uncomfortable. Then having Lucas being the youngest one but still managing to be charming when asking if Jo and Henry are together and them being his favorite couple if they were.

I wonder if Jo will ask more questions about Abigail, Henry's reactions were those of someone finding someone else's loved one. I hope she finds out before the show's cancelled. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

This would have worked better for me (with the usual necessary handwaves for TV) if Abigail had simply died in the wreck. Adam still would have borne some responsibility for kidnapping her in the first place, but the whole cutting-her-own-throat was just more annoying than sad to me. Having said that, I like the show for the most part and would still be watching if a second season miraculously appeared. I love Abe and Lucas especially.

• Love 2

This is one of my favorite shows on TV, but I didn't like this episode at all.  Everything was so coincidental that I finally gave up on it making any sense.  

So 2 women disappeared from a single house 30 years ago, and nobody ever thought that was strange, or deserved a follow-up.  Both women died within 5 minutes of each other, and the different, unrelated men who "caused" their deaths were upset by the outcome.  These men then buried the bodies in shallow graves simultaneously.  For a house located out in the sticks, miles away from anyone, there sure was a lot going on that day!  Sorry, that's a little too much for me to swallow.

Adam stated that he was 10,000 years old!  He was born around the time writing was invented.  He was "only" about 5000 years old when Moses floated down the Nile.  You would think that, being history and antiques fanatics, Henry and Abe would be eager to sit down with this guy and compare notes and learn some stuff.  Heck, that could be the entire show--Adam reminiscing about world events.  It does seem like he would have either mellowed over the eons or gone completely bonkers, though.  As it is, he's a guy who seems creepy and occasionally kills people for no reason; wouldn't he have "progressed" past that point by now?

I think the reason, logistically, for the throat-slitting was to make it clear that Adam didn't kill her. Otherwise we'd only have his word that he didn't cause the crash himself. Not to mention the dramatic convenience of Abigail having some last words.

ETA - Adam is 2000 years old, not 10,000. I know it must've been hard to hear when he's speaking half-english / half-batman growl.

Edited by Jaded Sapphire
  • Love 5

...So 2 women disappeared from a single house 30 years ago, and nobody ever thought that was strange, or deserved a follow-up.  Both women died within 5 minutes of each other, and the different, unrelated men who "caused" their deaths were upset by the outcome.  These men then buried the bodies in shallow graves simultaneously.  For a house located out in the sticks, miles away from anyone, there sure was a lot going on that day!  Sorry, that's a little too much for me to swallow...

All of this points to the current resident of the house being in on it, right?
  • Love 3

^^^^^^  Yes, it does.  

And yet, she was just a little old lady who had no knowledge of any of this.  "Where did those 2 women who were staying in my house get to?  Oh well, maybe they'll return some day.  I'll keep a box of their stuff just in case somebody asks about either of them eventually."

• Love 3
I think the reason, logistically, for the throat-slitting was to make it clear that Adam didn't kill her. Otherwise we'd only have his word that he didn't cause the crash himself. Not to mention the dramatic convenience of Abigail having some last words.

I agree that's what they meant, that Adam didn't mean to kill her (which might lessen his responsibility a bit) and that Abigail didn't die a meaningless death (she was protecting Henry).  My problem is that neither of these are true - Adam is still on the hook for Abigail's death as far as I'm concerned no matter how much he regrets it, and Abigail's actions in no way seem to have protected Henry, not that we know of.  

It may have been noble in intent but it's rather like Abigail's abrupt disappearance - I think we're supposed to believe she was off finding herself a la Eat, Pray, Love.  Seems to me what she really did was callously abandon two men condemning them, I would have thought, to never resting another night until they found her.  I know I'm taking the less romantic interpretation here and it's clearly not the one the writers want me to take, but here we are. 

"Where did those 2 women who were staying in my house get to?  Oh well, maybe they'll return some day.  I'll keep a box of their stuff just in case somebody asks about either of them eventually."

Hee - exactly.

• Love 2

Only Abigail was staying at the house. She just brought the young woman home from the hospital and everything with Adam and the sheriff boyfriend played out within a couple of hours. The property owner never knew that anyone else was there.

• Love 2

I'm a little confused about the timeline... how long was Abigale gone before the night in question?

She'd had time to set up a false ID, get a home and a job. But she had decided to go back to Henry according to the letter.

So she was gone at least long enough to do those things, AND feel obligated enough to the new life not to just ditch it and go home immediately when she'd decided to, instead of writing a letter that never got mailed. Maybe she thought they may not want her back and she did come from a time when people wrote letters.

So add to the contrivance fairy in charge of coincidences the fact that all this happened in a very short time after she wrote the letter but before she could mail it. There was no mention at the hospital that she had plans to resign. It actually would have made more sense from the perspective of her landlady and coworkers not questioning her disappearance, that she had said that she'd be leaving.

But then Henry would have tried to figure out where she went next rather than being certain that she was killed and buried there. (and yeah,, I don't buy the sunken ground thing either after several decades) Nor the keeping of a box of her stuff that was all trinkets and junk. It's not like that cottage had ample extra space!

Yeah... this show is better if you don't look too closely at the details and just focus on characterizations.

Which is why I want to see more of ADAM!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

This would have worked better for me (with the usual necessary handwaves for TV) if Abigail had simply died in the wreck. Adam still would have borne some responsibility for kidnapping her in the first place, but the whole cutting-her-own-throat was just more annoying than sad to me.

Maybe they've read how so many fans were down on Abigale and wanted to go the extra mile to redeam her. And they wanted to make sure Henry knew that Adam had tried to SAVE her.

Oh who knows... like I said... best not to focus on the details  ;)

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 4

Lucas: Lucas is just the sweetest guy! :) He wants to help, and he says he and Henry are best friends! Awwww! BFF's forever?! :)

Abe and Henry: I love when Abe said sorry dad in the beginning!!!! :)

Abigail: Wow!!!!! So she wanted to go back to Abe and Henry, but she died before she could do that?!!?! When they first started showing Abigail with a guy, I was thinking it was ADAM!!!!!! ADAM ADAM ADAM IT'S ADAM!!!!!  Then I thought Adam killed Abigail, but he didn't!!! She killed herself to save Henry!!! I was crying at the end! Oh Abigail! You have been redeemed!!! Thank you writers for writing this!!! I am so glad we got a resolution to where Abigail is! Cus I was afraid we weren't going to find out where she is,before the show is cancelled. I hate not having closure!!!

1 more episode left. :( Good bye Forever. I will miss you. :(

• Love 1

I'm a little confused about the timeline... how long was Abigale gone before the night in question?

She'd had time to set up a false ID, get a home and a job. But she had decided to go back to Henry according to the letter.

So she was gone at least long enough to do those things, AND feel obligated enough to the new life not to just ditch it and go home immediately when she'd decided to, instead of writing a letter that never got mailed. Maybe she thought they may not want her back and she did come from a time when people wrote letters.

So add to the contrivance fairy in charge of coincidences the fact that all this happened in a very short time after she wrote the letter but before she could mail it. There was no mention at the hospital that she had plans to resign. It actually would have made more sense from the perspective of her landlady and coworkers not questioning her disappearance, that she had said that she'd be leaving.

But then Henry would have tried to figure out where she went next rather than being certain that she was killed and buried there. (and yeah,, I don't buy the sunken ground thing either after several decades) Nor the keeping of a box of her stuff that was all trinkets and junk. It's not like that cottage had ample extra space!

Yeah... this show is better if you don't look too closely at the details and just focus on characterizations.

Which is why I want to see more of ADAM!

Abigail wasn't planning on leaving, though... according to her letter, she wanted Henry to join her at the cottage- that's why she had so much description about it, the root cellar etc. I think she thought it would be more isolated and therefore they would face less judgment or need to explain what they're relationship was.

Abe wouldn't necessarily come with, but he would then at least know where she was in order to be able to visit and stuff.. She didn't want to be without Henry, but that doesn't make the age difference go away.

I do think Adam comes across as creepy, so him threatening the girl etc was enough for me to believe that Abigail thought he was dangerous and didn't necessarily want to make friends with Henry.

ETA: To clarify, she wasn't planning on leaving the cottage/ her job, so she had no reason to talk of retiring or anything... but it is still strange that the landlord just was sort of... oh she left... oh well.

Edited by Jjrmt
  • Love 5

She did leave, in her letter she said she made a mistake and didn't want to be apart from him. When she changed her mind that's when she found a cottage for them to live in far away from other people. 

She did leave, in her letter she said she made a mistake and didn't want to be apart from him. When she changed her mind that's when she found a cottage for them to live in far away from other people. 

Right, she wasn't going to leave the cottage/ her new job... she was going to ask Henry to come be with her in the new place she found as opposed to returning to him in NY. She missed him and wanted to be with him, but she thought it would be better to be together in this small town/out in the country setting.

• Love 2

Yes, I remember that now about her wanting him to join her at the cottage. Thanks.

But it doesn't change my point that all the events happened in the (probably short) space of time between her writing the letter and having time to mail it... which again... contrivance fairy. It would have been less of a huge coincidence if she had written in her journal instead of a letter.

And I still don't know how long it was between the time she left and when she wrote the letter.

• Love 1

If they had the possibility of a 2nd season, an interesting twist could have been that by resuscitating Abigale, Adam bestowed immortality on her too. Of course, that wouldn't have solved the question of "why didn't she ever get back to Henry?", but the immortality ramifications of saving someone or killing another immortal would be an interesting place for this show to go

Except that Henry has probably already resuscitated lots of people too as a physician, so guess that wouldn't work.

• Love 2

There were of course coincidences and inaccuracies, but no more than most TV shows. Bones and The Good Wife (two other shows I watch) have far greater excesses in this area, so I was able to handwave quite easily. It is after all a show about immortals.

How many hospitals are there in NYC? Quite a few, but still-- a motorcycle accident victim will show up at the ER of one of a dozen, and a nurse working at an ER is a plausible contrivance. I thought it was more unusual that Adam didn't die immediately and had time to recover in the ER than that he wound up there, in Abigail's care, to start with. From what we've seen, Henry vaporizes pretty quickly, and Adam had to actively kill himself to get away. I also have no trouble believing that Adam would drive recklessly and get into accidents a lot, since he's morbidly obsessed with his own condition; this also ups the odds of him winding up in the ER where Abigail happens to work. Maybe the guy courts accidents. We saw him walking along a very narrow edge high above the street a couple of episodes ago, in high winds.

Henry didn't notice the youth of the first skeleton, but he also didn't notice broken ribs from chest compressions in the second. I think even I, as a total lay person, would notice broken ribs! Throughout the episode, he was so upset that he was basically not himself. As soon as he saw her keychain in the first grave, he went into being convinced it was Abigail. I take it as truth when a poster upthread said that it was an outrageous lapse of observation, and not even remotely possible that even in extremis he wouldn't see it, but as a lay person unfamiliar with details like this, I think it's less of a handwave than many others they could have come up with to cause the confusion-- for a TV show.

I get how frustrating it is to watch if you do know how obvious it would have been. It's like every other lawyer or doctor show, where more liberties are taken with procedure than anyone would believe. But that's TV for you. At least they tried to pass it off as Henry being out of his mind with grief, rather than just being randomly bad at his job or something normal for people to miss. And it gave Lucas an opportunity to show his competence and compassion.

I have no problem thinking Adam comes across creepy and dangerous, or that Abigail is uncommonly brave-- she was partnered with an immortal, she was a nurse during WW2, she has fled from discovery and lived under false names. So her being heroic or highly suspicious of Adam are not problematic for me at all. Adam telegraphs his creepiness, and he did threaten her and Belinda, so why would she trust him at all? If he had shown up and spoken rationally, maybe it would have been different, but he went from zero to homocidal in less than 5 minutes. AND she knows he's impossible to get rid of, and that Henry would have no escape either. They could be locked in a horrible battle eternally. Adam could disclose Henry's secret (kill him publicly) and cause no end of misery for him, if he wanted. Or he could kidnap Henry and keep him locked up somewhere, killing him over and over again. I'm sure Abigail knows all about the kind of trouble Henry feared and Adam didn't even try to present himself as friendly or benign.

I nitpick plenty of shows, so I can't complain about anyone nitpicking this one. I'm just saying that for me the handwaves on this show are not outweighing the things that make it rewarding to watch, and that they don't seem more implausible than what most shows try to get away with (if you accept the original immortality premise at all, of course).

• Love 7

Yes, I remember that now about her wanting him to join her at the cottage. Thanks.

But it doesn't change my point that all the events happened in the (probably short) space of time between her writing the letter and having time to mail it... which again... contrivance fairy. It would have been less of a huge coincidence if she had written in her journal instead of a letter.

And I still don't know how long it was between the time she left and when she wrote the letter.

That was covered in Punk is Dead. Abigail was gone for at least a year. Middle-aged Abe said something to that effect when he cleared her things out of Henry's apartment. Abigail was also well established in Tarrytown. The landlady said she had been living there for a while and she had been employed at the hospital for some time. She was there long enough to plant flowers and put up preserves. They also made a point of showing the date of April 7th on the letter she wrote Henry but never got a chance to mail.

I do agree it's crazy that neither the landlady nor the people at her job reported Abigail as missing, especially since the people at wor knew she'd taken Belinda home because Belinda feared her boyfriend. That's a typical set up for foul play.