Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't think she's being lazy, because every time she says, "EVOO," she then translates that into "Extra Virgin Olive Oil."  Why didn't she just say that in the first place instead of inventing a "cute" abbreviation for it?  She's an idiot.

She didn't invent EVOO. It was around for a while before she came around, but a lot of non-foodies didn't know about it. She just made it a "thing".

I think she was trying to make a name for herself so she used all these cutesy catchphrases and abbreviations to draw attention. Like calling a thick soup a "stoup" (cross between stew and soup) and abbreviating delicious into "delish" (also not her invention). And let's not forget "Yum-o". Ugh. But obviously, it worked.

• Sad 2
17 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Like calling a thick soup a "stoup" (cross between stew and soup)

In the early sixties, a woman named Virginia Graham had an afternoon talk show called "Girl Talk."  My mom watched it & Mike Douglas religiously.  One day, Virginia had on a guest who had a restaurant in NYC, across from the newly-built Lincoln Center. She specialized in thick soup and her restaurant was called "Thoup."

• Like 5
On 7/19/2024 at 2:24 PM, SoMuchTV said:

On the bright side, does this mean we've moved on from "sammies"?

OMG one can only hope so. Adults (well, anyone) using cutesy terms like that sorta grates me. On a travel site I frequent, it seems to be de rigueur to refer to the first meal of the day as “brekkie” and to a pre-booked travel or restaurant arrangement as a “ressie/rezzie.”  I narrowly avoided a rage blackout when I saw Covid referred to as the “pandemmy.” 

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 1

Those are all disgusting, with a possible grudging exception of "brekkie" when used by an Englishman/woman.   Worst of all for me is "veggie", which has even made its way into the names of many meatless products as printed on their packages! I boycott those, which can be hard to do but the right thing so often is.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

Those are all disgusting, with a possible grudging exception of "brekkie" when used by an Englishman/woman.   

A British person would call it brekkie, not just English. 

We (I'm Welsh) would also call a sandwich a "sarnie" for short, don't ask me why.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

In the early sixties, a woman named Virginia Graham had an afternoon talk show called "Girl Talk."  My mom watched it & Mike Douglas religiously.  One day, Virginia had on a guest who had a restaurant in NYC, across from the newly-built Lincoln Center. She specialized in thick soup and her restaurant was called "Thoup."

She couldn't just call it stew?

In response to recent discussion as to where the words soda, pop, etc. are used, here are the results of the famous Harvard dialect survey: Most of the country says soda, with pop coming in second (53% and 25%, respectively), and being most heavily concentrated in the Midwest.  You can see details and a map here.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

By the time I went to college, I knew soft drinks were called pop outside of my Southeast PA area. What I didn't expect my freshman year in Northwest Arkansas was people saying they were going for a Coke and getting Mountain Dew. 😂

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Like I said in the other thread, I'm from Iowa and we say "pop" here - I remember trying out saying "soda" once when at some famiy gathering and everyone looked at me strangely p. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

In response to recent discussion as to where the words soda, pop, etc. are used, here are the results of the famous Harvard dialect survey: Most of the country says soda, with pop coming in second (53% and 25%, respectively), and being most heavily concentrated in the Midwest.  You can see details and a map here.

I always love seeing that study and the maps again, thanks for posting it.

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Like I said in the other thread, I'm from Iowa and we say "pop" here - I remember trying out saying "soda" once when at some famiy gathering and everyone looked at me strangely p. 

The first time I went to Indiana the people I visited kept saying they were thirsty and could go for a Coke, or "How about we all go grab some Cokes?" Unaware of their usage of the term I very innocently said, "I like Pepsi better", and you can just imagine the strange looks I got, LOL. 😜

• LOL 1

When my father was very young, it was called "dope" where he grew up.  I called it Coke, but it usually meant Coke.  I don't remember when I started calling it soda, but that's what I say now.

On 7/23/2024 at 3:32 AM, Browncoat said:

When my father was very young, it was called "dope" where he grew up.  I called it Coke, but it usually meant Coke.  I don't remember when I started calling it soda, but that's what I say now.

"dope".  Good to know.  I'll be over later.  I'm assuming small bills are preferred?

• LOL 5
11 hours ago, Ancaster said:

"dope".  Good to know.  I'll be over later.  I'm assuming small bills are preferred?

That probably started when Coke had actual cocaine in it, although my father was born not too long after they stopped using cocaine.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 7/22/2024 at 5:41 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I DO worry about the folks in Connecticut, who told me they refer to the entire state of NY as NYCity. (This was in a hotel in Hartford where I was trying to get to directions to head west, not south, to NY state.)

I'm originally from NYC and I've lived in two very different areas of CT (Fairfield County and the Hartford area) for over 33 years now and I've never heard that. Years ago I did hear people up here in the Hartford area refer to Fairfield County as a suburb of NYC (which I agree with to some degree), but it's been a long time since I've heard that. Fairfield County is in the southernmost part of the state and actually is on a notch that juts into Westchester County, NY, which is a suburb of NYC, and the culture there is more similar to NY's than it is to Central and Northern CT.

I brought this here from the "Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage" thread.

• Like 1

I had asked the front desk lady in the evening how to get to New York - the state, not the city - without getting on the interstate highway. She told me there is no New York State; it's all New York City.  I told her not to tell the folks in Albany and Buffalo. She couldn't give me an answer about the way to New York.

The next morning, after extensive google-mapping, I was checking out and told the morning front desk lady about the NYC/NYS exchange from the previous night and she laughed and said, "Oh, yes! We think all of New York State is the City."  This was at the Best Western, 185 Brainard Road, Hartford.

I didn't understand that then and I still don't understand it.  AND the Welcome Center no longer has paper road maps.

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I get annoyed every time I hear a young woman on a commercial say, "Mine and my husband's favorite thing". I never remember what they're advertising because I'm always reacting to what I consider to be incorrect grammar. Shouldn't it be "My and my husband's favorite thing"? People online seem to disagree on this but if I'm reading it right the so-called "experts" seem to agree with me.

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Almost; traditionally, you put yourself last, so: "My husband's and my favorite thing".

6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Right, I think it is technically OK but not as polite so not preferred. I was going to change it to say that but you got there first. I was too busy moving my response to that other post to the Small Talk thread to get to it in time, **sigh**.

Duhh, don't you people watch tv at all?!  It's obviously "My husband and I's favorite thing"! (/sarcasm, if that's not obvious)

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had asked the front desk lady in the evening how to get to New York - the state, not the city - without getting on the interstate highway. She told me there is no New York State; it's all New York City.  I told her not to tell the folks in Albany and Buffalo. She couldn't give me an answer about the way to New York.

The next morning, after extensive google-mapping, I was checking out and told the morning front desk lady about the NYC/NYS exchange from the previous night and she laughed and said, "Oh, yes! We think all of New York State is the City."  This was at the Best Western, 185 Brainard Road, Hartford.

I didn't understand that then and I still don't understand it.  AND the Welcome Center no longer has paper road maps.

I know exactly where that Best Western is. On the other side of the highway is an area of Hartford with one of the highest crime rates. On the opposite side of Brainerd airport is E. Hartford and Pratt & Whitney, where I worked for 8 years. Without saying anything that could be considered presumptuous or unkind, this is one of those situations about which I would say, "Consider the source". Anyone that really knew anything about all areas involved would never say that. Just my opinion!

When I first moved to Norwalk, a nice city in lower Fairfield County, I experienced pretty extreme culture shock. I was by the Wilton border so it was quite nice. I lived in Fairfield County for 8 years before moving to the Hartford area. I experienced a bit of a culture difference moving up to the Hartford are but nowhere near the shock of moving from NYC to Norwalk. And that was decades ago. I would say that this area of CT has changed since then as more New Yorkers have move up here especially since the pandemic, and the rise in real estate prices. I keep hearing about this on our local news all the time. From my point of view that's both good and bad. It's good because I'm a NY transplant so I actually don't mind seeing more of them up here. But on the other hand after over 2 decades in this area I have come to appreciate its quaint New England culture and don't like anything that might change that too much.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Applause 1
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Duhh, don't you people watch tv at all?!  It's obviously "My husband and I's favorite thing"! (/sarcasm, if that's not obvious)

OMG, are you me? This is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves! I started hearing this several years ago here and there on TV and it's only snowballed from there. The thing that really gets me about this is that the rule is very simple and not even as confusing or ambiguous as some other rules can be.

I am not a parent but don't parents correct their children anymore? If I had ever said that my mother would have lectured me about it every time I did it! I'm presuming that parents of my generation would know better because I know I never heard this anywhere near as much years ago.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I am not a parent but don't parents correct their children anymore?

The parents have to know what is correct in order to correct their children!

• Like 6
6 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

OMG, are you me? This is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves! I started hearing this several years ago here and there on TV and it's only snowballed from there. The thing that really gets me about this is that the rule is very simple and not even as confusing or ambiguous as some other rules can be.

I am not a parent but don't parents correct their children anymore? If I had ever said that my mother would have lectured me about it every time I did it! I'm presuming that parents of my generation would know better because I know I never heard this anywhere near as much years ago.

Thanks for backing me up, but I'd have to say that my BIGGEST peeve (at least grammar/pronoun related) is not understanding when to use "me" vs. "I" when speaking.  I can't keep track of how many journalists/authors/politicians/educators/celebrities say things like "joining Mark and I in the studio..." or "Fred gave my wife and I the nicest gift..."  It's only rarely that I hear it the other way around ("me" when it should be "I").  But I almost never see it in writing (books, news articles, etc.) so I guess it's been hammered into everyones' heads so much that "me" is incorrect/informal that they hypercorrect when they don't have a chance to stop and think about it.

But I'm sure I've ranted enough about that in the regular Grammar thread, so I'll try to leave it at that, here.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

I have a stepdaughter who is a lawyer and knows better, uses "I" in objective cases. When her father calls her out on it, she says - I know, and I don't care. 🤷‍♀️

• Sad 4
31 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I have a stepdaughter who is a lawyer and knows better, uses "I" in objective cases. When her father calls her out on it, she says - I know, and I don't care. 🤷‍♀️

I changed my laughing emoji to sad because...that's sad that she doesn't care.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Thanks for backing me up, but I'd have to say that my BIGGEST peeve (at least grammar/pronoun related) is not understanding when to use "me" vs. "I" when speaking.  I can't keep track of how many journalists/authors/politicians/educators/celebrities say things like "joining Mark and I in the studio..." or "Fred gave my wife and I the nicest gift..."  It's only rarely that I hear it the other way around ("me" when it should be "I").  But I almost never see it in writing (books, news articles, etc.) so I guess it's been hammered into everyones' heads so much that "me" is incorrect/informal that they hypercorrect when they don't have a chance to stop and think about it.

But I'm sure I've ranted enough about that in the regular Grammar thread, so I'll try to leave it at that, here.

Oh you're still me because I have to agree that that one is probably my bigger  pet peeve in the grand scheme of things, LOL. I know what you mean about the hypercorrection. I've thought that too, but then they go and make the opposite mistake and use "me" when they should say "I", every single time! Like they just can't ever get it right! I have to say that I hear that mistake as much as the other way around. Every time they start a sentence with "Me and my friend went...." I cringe. It's gotten so bad I've even recently read it in newspapers and heard newscasters use it on TV. That's a very recent thing and a sign of the end times, I'm sure. 😉

I don't know why I never visit the grammar thread. I probably should.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

saw a meme the other day that had both "your" and "you're" in one sentence. They were both used incorrectly

did no one ever teach people the (easy) way to know which one is which? !!!!!

22 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ugh, that is such a pet peeve of I's mine.  I always yell at the tv "that is not a word!"

22 hours ago, Yeah No said:

When I first moved to Norwalk

Small world!  I grew up in Norwalk.  Lived there til I was in my 30s.  Wanna talk culture shock?  I moved to IN.

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Every time they start a sentence with "Me and my friend went...." I cringe. It's gotten so bad I've even recently read it in newspapers and heard newscasters use it on TV.

And it's not only young people doing this now.  I've heard older adults saying this too.  Yes, it's the end of the world!

4 hours ago, dleighg said:

did no one ever teach people the (easy) way to know which one is which? !!!!!

There's an easy way, please tell so that I can let others know rather than just telling them to use the correct form. I just presumed we were all taught in school & that grammar is no longer important enough to teach so nobody young knows any better

the easy way is that you're is short for "you are" (just remove the a and replace it with an apostrophe) and "your" is not short for "you are"; it's just a word for possession.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Small world!  I grew up in Norwalk.  Lived there til I was in my 30s.  Wanna talk culture shock?  I moved to IN.

What area of Indiana? I traveled to the Indianapolis area for many years. Indiana has different cultures depending on how far North or South you are in the state. They don't call it "the crossroads of America" for nothing.

I loved Norwalk, BTW. I still miss it but still visit a few times a year to meet friends and/or go shopping.

Edited by Yeah No
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw a meme the other day that had both "your" and "you're" in one sentence. They were both used incorrectly.

I'm not on Twitter, Facebook, etc. so I only see memes emailed to me or posted on these forums; I don't know how representative a sample that is, but about 95% of them have incorrect punctuation and/or grammar.  Some of them are incredibly funny, but all I can see is the error.

• Fire 1

The thing with homophones like your and you're, there and their, is that I find myself making a mistake in writing. But that's what proofreading is for!

• Like 1

I can understand where people are getting "me and my husband," but I don't understand how something like "myself and my husband are going on vacation" sounds correct to anyone's ear.

On 7/28/2024 at 1:27 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I want to know who this "we" was that she was talking about. It was probably just her. I can see how guests might mostly only ever be asking about New York City and not the rest of the state, so it might not occur to her that someone might be asking about the state. But saying that there is no state doesn't make any sense.

• Like 3

Plus, asking how to get to New York (state) doesn't make a whole lot of sense to begin with. From Hartford, it might be southwest, west, or very far north. It depends where you're going!

• Like 3
10 hours ago, dleighg said:

Plus, asking how to get to New York (state) doesn't make a whole lot of sense to begin with. From Hartford, it might be southwest, west, or very far north. It depends where you're going!

It wasn't just getting there. It was getting there withOUT getting on the interstates.

Re: Life Alert.  My mom had one from a local company. She wore the button all the time.  I went to her apartment (170 miles away from me) to pick her up to drive to a family wedding.  We were in her bedroom because she was showing me (asking me) the dresses she couldn't decide on wearing.  She held each one up to her so I could see how they look.  Suddenly, I hear a voice coming from the living room... "Margaret, are you all right?  Margaret?"  I yelled out to the machine, "She's fine; she's showing me dresses & accidentally hit the button with a hanger."  The lady on the machine laughed along with us and said these are the kind of calls she likes - nobody's hurt.

She had a rambunctious cat who used to knock the handset off the phone. The night my father died in the VA nursing home, the doc couldn't get a hold of her - the line was constantly busy - so he called me as next in line for contact.  I had to call her local police to go tell her to hang up her phone.  They knew why I needed to call her, so they stayed until she talked to me.  They made sure she was OK before they left. I really appreciated that.

When she moved into assisted living, she cancelled the "Help, I've Fallen" button. I got her a cell phone. Afraid she might lose it, I took her picture and made it her wallpaper, so if anyone found it, they'd know whose phone it was. LOL

• Like 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It wasn't just getting there. It was getting there withOUT getting on the interstates.

Why didn't you want to get on the interstates? Do you mean just interstates or other highways as well like parkways and state highways? There really isn't any good or easy way to get to NYS from Hartford on the secondary roads. Most secondary roads going to NYS go diagonally South and East of Hartford and eventually feed into Rt. 84, which enters NYS around Brewster, in upper Westchester County or Rt. 15 (the Merritt Parkway), which is not an interstate, but a parkway that Rt. 7 feeds into in Fairfield County. Trying to get into NYS from one of those secondary roads without eventually getting on an interstate, parkway or state highway would be circuitous and take some time. And where you enter NYS in Brewster is a semi-rural area so there aren't many great ways to travel without getting on some kind of highway or interstate. And forget taking Rt. 44 all the way to Poughkeepsie, LOL. Getting anywhere from there without getting on I-87 (The NYS Thruway) would take a long time and nothing is direct to anywhere.

My husband is a limo. driver and he is up and down from Hartford to Westchester County, NY and NYC all the time. After living up here for almost 25 years and having traveled myself to NYS many times I know the roads pretty well myself.

I live near Rt. 44 which is a major secondary non-highway route that goes West from Hartford into Torrington in Litchfield County, where people who want to travel to NYS get on Rt. 8 South to feed into Rt. 15 (The Merritt) or a little further South, I-95. It's not a bad route, and quite pretty in spots, and as long as you didn't have any objection to getting on non-interstate highways like Rt. 8 or the Merritt Parkway, it's a good alternative. My husband does it sometimes to avoid traffic on Rt. 84.

The biggest problem is that from the hotel you mentioned staying at near Brainerd Airport you'd have to get on Rt. 44 in one of the worst neighborhoods for crime in Hartford, and even getting there is not easy to explain to anyone and involves lots of twists and turns no one could really describe off the top of their heads and would even be hard using a map app. We locals know how to get around that area but Google Maps, etc. does not, and it often seems to want to put you at "Ground Zero" for gunshot incidents. One reason getting on the Interstate might actually be a better idea unless you know an area!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1

It occurs to me that the "avoiding interstates" part may have also tripped the person up. If someone asked me how to get to a neighboring state without taking the highway, my next question would be what city they were going to, because it's a very different answer depending on their ultimate destination. So maybe the person just assumed New York City?

But that still doesn't explain the "no state" thing. Was it a way of saying that no one ever cares about the rest of the state, not that there's literally no New York state?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

She had a rambunctious cat who used to knock the handset off the phone. The night my father died in the VA nursing home, the doc couldn't get a hold of her - the line was constantly busy - so he called me as next in line for contact.  I had to call her local police to go tell her to hang up her phone.  They knew why I needed to call her, so they stayed until she talked to me.  They made sure she was OK before they left. I really appreciated that.

My great aunt lived in place that wasn't assisted living, more like a step down from that. One night she woke up to someone standing over her bed and it scared the crap out of her. She had knocked the phone off the hook in the middle of the night, and if someone's phone was off the hook for a certain amount of time, they'd send a nurse to check on them, so it was a nurse, not an axe murderer.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

It occurs to me that the "avoiding interstates" part may have also tripped the person up. If someone asked me how to get to a neighboring state without taking the highway, my next question would be what city they were going to, because it's a very different answer depending on their ultimate destination. So maybe the person just assumed New York City?

But that still doesn't explain the "no state" thing. Was it a way of saying that no one ever cares about the rest of the state, not that there's literally no New York state?

I'm not really sure but I do know that a lot of people from New York State feel that NYC gets all the attention and that people from outside the state don't even realize or care that there is a part of the state with an entirely different culture than the City (or the entire NY Metro Area) and what that culture might be like depending on where in the state is being discussed. So they feel as though in the eyes of others they don't and might as well not even exist. So it's probably more like that nobody cares about the rest of the state.

• Like 1

I wanted to avoid city interstates during rush hour.  In an unfamiliar city, too many right-hand lanes become "exit only" and the folks to the immediate left are way too territorial about their lanes. They take a blinker as a challenge.  Not to mention the huge trucks vs. my wee Honda Fit.

I found my way, but it led me past TWO schools, for which I had to wait interminably for school busses. LOL.  Good thing I brought an extra banana from the hotel breakfast.  You can get hungry watching all those lunchboxes get off the bus. Once away from the city, getting on the interstate was fine.

I never did come to understand why the hotel ladies think there's no NYS.

• Like 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wanted to avoid city interstates during rush hour.  In an unfamiliar city, too many right-hand lanes become "exit only" and the folks to the immediate left are way too territorial about their lanes. They take a blinker as a challenge.  Not to mention the huge trucks vs. my wee Honda Fit.

I found my way, but it led me past TWO schools, for which I had to wait interminably for school busses. LOL.  Good thing I brought an extra banana from the hotel breakfast.  You can get hungry watching all those lunchboxes get off the bus. Once away from the city, getting on the interstate was fine.

I never did come to understand why the hotel ladies think there's no NYS.

I hear you although I'm a road warrior from way back so stuff like that doesn't bother me (I learned to drive in NYC after all). Also, in CT the exit only lanes are extremely long and drivers are used to letting people in from them because they're usually paired with cars entering the road too. Plus since the pandemic the rush hour traffic is not anywhere near as bad as it once was, which is a very good thing. Just from experience I'd rather risk dealing with that than finding myself lost in unfamiliar neighborhoods that might not be so safe. Interestingly the ultimate road warrior, my husband agrees with me and pointed out that the side streets can be worse and more dangerous during peak times, so I guess it's a matter of "pick your poison".

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2

Re: Indiana

I went with a group of friends on a trip to the midwest and none of us had ever been to Indiana before. We stopped off at a welcome center in Hammond, Indiana, and it turned out to be a really fun experience. Jean Shepherd of "A Christmas Story" fame grew up in Hammond and there was a leg lamp on exhibit that had been signed by the cast of "A Christmas Story." You could also have your picture taken in front of a display that was made to look like the front of Ralphie's home with the leg lamp in the window. There was also a statue of Flick out front. Everyone was so nice there. 

Leg lamp signed.jpg

Leg lamp in window.jpg

Flick.jpg

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

My favorite Al Roker story comes from 1996, when he was still fat and the Olympics were in Atlanta.  The local newspaper "gossip" column was reporting every day on which celebrities/broadcast news people were dining in which tony restaurants.  Al Roker was spotted coming out of the Krispy Kreme.

• LOL 3
53 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Al Roker was spotted coming out of the Krispy Kreme.

Hopefully he at least had the sense to go when the Hot Now sign was lit.  Hot, fresh Krispy Kreme are sooo tasty!  It's like eating warm, sweet air.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

I could walk to a Dunkin Donuts (which I don't like) but the nearest Krispy Kreme (which I love) is about 15 miles away, so I don't go there often. 

Then I thought about it and if Krispy Kreme was there instead of Dunkin Donuts, I'd be about 20 lbs. heavier! 😅 

• Like 4

My Al Roker story, back in the late 70s he was a meteorologist at WKYC in Cleveland, and my dad worked in the building next door. One evening in the middle of winter during a snowstorm, my dad and a coworker were out on the roof when they spot Al and a cameraman setting up to do a report. My dad and his buddy see Al standing there while his cameraman was busy and decide to test their aim with some snowballs. They do not miss. Al thinks his cameraman is pulling a prank on him and starts berating the innocent guy never realizing there were 2 guys on the roof of the next building.

• LOL 7
On 6/12/2023 at 9:33 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

My dad and I went the other direction - he was immune to poison ivy and so am I.

Response more than a year after your post

Does this blessing run in your family genes?

I was thinking of different scenarios that might have been the Eureka moment for family members....