Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I might sound like a commercial, but I've found some good deals at GoodRX.com. Honestly.  Some things actually work like they say they do!

Good RX works (I do use it) as long as the med you are on has been generic for some time, or you don't have to take large quantities of it.  When it reaches that point, nothing can really help.  :/

Have you asked your Dr about or checked out the Patient Assistance Program for that medication?

Jaded, I was able to get assistance from a local health care clinic in a big way. I now have prescription assistance and that's relieved a lot of stress on my mind and the stress I thought my bank account would be feeling. :)

• Love 4

I worked in a Los Angeles County hospital for a while, in the pharmacy, where we were responsible for getting medications for all of the patients, paying or not.  We were the office that worked with pharma to get the medications for free or at a discount.  The patients never had to pay for anything anyway, but by using the pharma companies' discount programs, we were able to save the hospital a lot of money. Practically every pharma company has free and discount programs, but you have to fill out a lot of forms and give the patients' financial information.

• Love 4
On 5/14/2018 at 10:55 PM, mmecorday said:

Jaded, I was able to get assistance from a local health care clinic in a big way. I now have prescription assistance and that's relieved a lot of stress on my mind and the stress I thought my bank account would be feeling. :)

I'm glad things worked out for you. It's sad that people can go broke just trying to obtain medications they need to survive.

• Love 6
(edited)
34 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Deviled eggs look nice on a platter but as far as taste, their name fits them, as I have learned the hard way (repeatedly--and no, I have no idea why I would think "this time I will like it!" knowing I have never liked eggs in the first place).

This is me with hollandaise sauce (well, sort of - I don't eat it, just keep thinking it looks tasty); I like egg whites, but I hate the yolk.  I will dump my egg whites and start over if the yolk breaks while I'm separating and more than a speck of it gets into the white.  Yet hollandaise sauce always looks appetizing to me.  And then I get close enough to smell it.

Oh, but mayonnaise?  Love it.  If it wasn't so fatty, I'd eat it by the spoonful.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I love deviled eggs. A couple of years ago I started bringing them to various functions of a club I belong to. Now I'm known as the deviled egg person, even though I haven't brought any in a while. Once I added backfin crab meat to the filling and sprinkled with Old Bay - that was a big hit.

• Love 3

It is kind of funny that my limit for eggs is 2, maybe 3.  When I am presented with deviled eggs, though.... oh Boy!  I can eat at least six, just with mayo and mustard and a little salt and pepper and paprika.  Crab meat sounds delicious!!

• Love 4
(edited)

Y'all need to put spoiler bars over your comments because I'm about to ralph from reading about eggs with crabmeat and eating mayonnaise with a spoon.

jN0weVW.gif

I'm cracking up!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, but mayonnaise?  Love it.  If it wasn't so fatty, I'd eat it by the spoonful.

Kinda like Hugh Grant's flatmate in "Notting Hill"?  Mind you, he did think it was yogurt at first, but didn't stop eating it when he found out it was mayonnaise.

Y'all are too much, I tell ya. :D

I only like devilled eggs without mayo or relish and lots of mustard and vinegar.

You are my twin! My girlfriend makes deviled eggs like this and I love them!

Mayonnaise is the Dallas Cowboys of condiments -- you either love it or hate it.

• Love 4

And it's a good thing I love it, because it's pretty much the only condiment/condiment base I do like.  I hate vinegar and mustard (because of the vinegar; I like mustard made only from ground mustard seed and water, but the spice level in that would overwhelm many things) and don't like ketchup anymore; it used to be okay, but in the last 10-15 years I've lost my taste for it.  (If there wasn't any ranch dressing to dip fries in, I would eat a few with ketchup, but that's it, and even back when I liked ketchup, I hated it on hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.)

I've seen deviled eggs with crab meat added to the filling, and I never thought about it until this discussion, but a version where the yolk is scraped out and thrown in the compost bin, and the white is filled instead entirely with a crab meat mixture sounds good; the crab and the hard-boiled egg white would go well together.  Thanks for the idea.

• Love 1

Tech talk from the Annoying Commercials thread...

I never say never, but I won't be buying a "smart home" contraption. We already know they are recording people's conversations. A remote control can't listen in on my discussions with the cats.

I love my phone (which I use as a computer, really) and I am not going to live in the metaphorical dark ages, but I'm also not going to hand over every function of my life to a "smart" device. Someone discussed in one of these forums how difficult it was to get a streaming movie running with all the account setups and permissions, etc., when all you have to do with a DVD is open drawer, insert disk, close drawer, hit play.

My lightbulbs don't need to be "smart". If I need them on a timer, I have one that plugs into the wall. The lamp plugs into it and the glorified egg timer turns the lamp on and off. I have a $30 digital thermostat that I installed. I programmed it and it works. I use a physical key to unlock my door.

When the power goes out, none of the "smart" devices work. When the power comes back on, they have trouble reconnecting to the network. Who wants to reconnect everything in their house to their network? And what happens when there's an internet outage from your ISP?

I'll be over here grousing about kids today while driving my manual, non-smart car with crank windows, eating food out of my non-smart refrigerator, and doing laundry with my non-smart washer and dryer under stupid lighting.

• Love 12
(edited)

I don't even have a smartphone, so you know I'm with you.  It's not that I find all "smart" technology inherently bad, but I don't need it, so it's not worth giving up any of my privacy for.  If this stuff was just helpful, without also being intrusive, I might find some of it fun to have (much of it I'd still think was just pure silly).  But I think about how much even someone like me is tracked and catalogued, and extrapolate to how it would be if I was so much more connected, and it boggles my mind.  We as a society are steadily changing the "reasonable expectation of privacy" standard, and it bothers me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

Someone will have to pry my iPhone and my iPad out of my cold dying hands. I had 2 Android smart phones before we decided 2 years ago to go Apple. We love them. I use my phone as my camera. It's great using Google Maps for directions. I have digital coupons from my grocery store, check my emails, can watch TV (I couldn't get through 60 minutes on the treadmill without it, download books on the iPad). I can control my DVR from them. The Weather Channel app is amazing - we used it every day on our trip to Europe this year. Once you're on WiFi, it knows what the local weather is at your location. No looking back.

• Love 2

I love my iPhone and iPad, too, but I don't need Alexa listening in all the time.  I don't need a refrigerator to tell me what food I have (or need).  I have to walk to the washer and dryer to put clothes in anyway, so there's no point (to me) in being able to talk to them and tell them what cycle I want.  My manual thermostat works just fine, as do the manual locks on my doors.  I do have wi-fi in my house, but it's erratic at best (I've lost count of how many times I've had to reset the modem on this occasionally windy, rainy day), so even if I had those smart devices, they wouldn't work half the time.

• Love 6
(edited)

Back to the egg discussion, when I worked at Burger King, the eggs were poured out of a carton onto the griddle, and a spatula was used to divide them into fast-food sandwich size(I don’t know if that’s still the case).  And no deviled egg(made with mayo, a little mustard, and paprika)is safe around me.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 3
(edited)

I read once that people only make/eat deviled eggs at some sort of party or function - nobody ever makes 'em for regular, daily consumption. Since then, I periodically make myself some just because I have the hard-cooked eggs.  I was at a small, mom'n'pop restaurant (actually called "Pop's") in NC that had deviled eggs as a side on the menu. They were delicious.

This was years ago and I still think of that lunch - pepper steak & rice, small salad, 3 halves of deviled egg, beverage and a small "sweetie," as Pop called it - bread pudding, no less - all for $5.71, including tax.  At dinner, I was in Wilmington, NC at a German restaurant and they had pepper steak & rice, with no other sides, beverage, nor dessert for $18 (plus tax.) Needless to say, I ordered something else.  Hahaha.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I use Eggland's Best Hard Boiled peeled eggs for deviled eggs. You can make a dozen in about 10 minutes.

Oh, MY!  I never knew there was such a thing!  Gonna look next time I'm shopping, thanks!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I use Eggland's Best Hard Boiled peeled eggs for deviled eggs. You can make a dozen in about 10 minutes.

I'll have to try those.. But it's the mashing up the yolks, and adding the mustard etc, mixing and stuffing the egg halfs that takes me forever. 

• Love 1

I once made deviled eggs with avocado instead of mayo. Lime juice and parsely (both my husband and daughter can't stand cilantro) and maybe something else I think? It was pretty good, but discolored quickly so it's not something I would do for company again. Not knowing how it would turn out, I also made a batch of regular deviled eggs. 

Now I want egg salad. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/24/2018 at 2:03 PM, Brattinella said:

Oh, MY!  I never knew there was such a thing!  Gonna look next time I'm shopping, thanks!

My local Costco also sells hard boiled eggs.  They're a bit weird because they're individually water-packed, but if you're making a bucket load of egg salad they're very convenient.

Otherwise, my fail safe method for cooking them:

Eggs in water to cover

Bring to boil

Remove from heat

Wait ten minutes

Drain eggs

Tap once under running water to break shell

Leave in shells in cold water until cool (15 minutes?)

Peel

Works like a charm

[Edits, clarification, corrections welcome!]

Edited by Brookside
Clarification of method
  • Love 6
(edited)
56 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Huh, never heard of the tap method, gonna have to try that. You do that after the cold water rinse or while they're still hot? Thanks!

Under cold running water while still hot (just one hearty tap).  Something to do with air getting in?  Anyway, shell should come off in literally a couple of pieces and no "skin" left behind.

I'm going to go and make one now and see what memories are jogged!

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3

bringing over from commercials that annoy. Philo is better than Sling, and cheaper and they don't put up annoying commercials. But they don't have a lot of the big channels like USA or TNT or CNN, on the other hand they have a couple that Sling does not have like TLC (for Trading Spaces and Say Yes to the Dress) fans, OWN and BBC World News, and some I never heard of but are quite interesting, Velocity, Axs, People and Tastermade. I haven't really looked at People, it looks like a knockoff of E! It looks like Sling does have Velocity and Axs, but I never noticed them and I find Sling's guide hard to navigate. Philo has a guide that is a grid with the time at one side, all the channels across the top and lists what's on now and that's on line so I can look for 3 days in advance. On screen, there's a grid of all the channels, alphabetically with what's on now and all shows start at the beginning, which is kind of a pain at times, if you want to change the channel 2 minutes before the program starts, you're stuck with the entire previous program, but I've learned and I don't put on a channel until it's a minute or so after starting time. But, if you've forgotten that something started at the top of the hour and it's now 45 minutes past, you do get to see the entire program. It's also rather a pain if you're switching back and forth with antenna tv, but I've adapted. 

I might consider Sling in addition to Philo sometime, but not until this annoying campaign of commercials has run out and they find something better.

For what it’s worth, Ruby Tuesday’s has a new bacon deviled egg appetizer and the filling stuff is a coral color, not yellow like I usually see, and my husband said the eggs are ok, but the filler was weird and not terribly yummy.

I would have no idea because I can’t even smell a boiling egg without wanting to vomit, let alone eat one in any fashion.

And that is my useless two cents to the conversation, heh.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

For what it’s worth, Ruby Tuesday’s has a new bacon deviled egg appetizer and the filling stuff is a coral color, not yellow like I usually see, and my husband said the eggs are ok, but the filler was weird and not terribly yummy.

I would have no idea because I can’t even smell a boiling egg without wanting to vomit, let alone eat one in any fashion.

And that is my useless two cents to the conversation, heh.

That's maybe because they smell like farts.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

That's maybe because they smell like farts.

Growing up I remember stinky farts being referred to as smelling like rotten boiled eggs.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But if you left it on, you'd get that test pattern of the Plains Indian in a feathered headdress.

indian.jpg

Wikipedia tells me that the test pattern was used in the U.S. before 1970, so that's why I don't remember it. I'm old enough (43) to remember the anthem with the footage of the flag and then static after that. It always scared me, for some reason. This was pre-Poltergeist. I didn't see it until I was a teenager.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Wikipedia tells me that the test pattern was used in the U.S. before 1970, so that's why I don't remember it. I'm old enough (43) to remember the anthem with the footage of the flag and then static after that. It always scared me, for some reason. This was pre-Poltergeist. I didn't see it until I was a teenager.

There was a test pattern that was a simplified version of that in the old (pre-OSX) Apple Monitor Control Panel. I drew it as a placeholder when I was an engineer there - I expected it to get replaced by something from the art department, but they shipped it.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

It was the black & white test pattern. I'm sure once color arrived, they came up with something totally different that would work on both types of TVs.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It was the black & white test pattern. I'm sure once color arrived, they came up with something totally different that would work on both types of TVs.

We had a huge console color TV in the living room for as long as I can remember until it either died or we got rid of it. My mom had a small black-and-white TV in her bedroom.

My parents now have a TV in the living room and all three bedrooms. There are only two of them living there. One of the bedrooms is mom's sewing room/craft room/dad's gun safe room/computer desk. My dad sleeps in the master bedroom and mom sleeps in the remaining bedroom with her CPAP machine.

• Love 2

We had a little black and white portable until I was in about sixth grade, but everyone I knew had color. When my parents put the addition on our house we got a portable color tv. My parents were of the opinion that tv just wasn't that important. I remember going to the neighbors to watch the Beatles on Ed Sullivan with my parents.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

My parents now have a TV in the living room and all three bedrooms. There are only two of them living there.

Oh, I'm worse; it's just me - and I don't watch a lot of TV - yet I also have four televisions.  One in the living room, one in the bedroom, one in the office, and one in the game room (a bonus room attached to the garage [which is not attached to the house]).  I use the bedroom and game room TVs most, so the two nicest sets go there.

• Love 1

I had two at one time a decade or so ago; the one I had in the living room was a hand-me-down CRT TV that must've weighed 85 pounds. It was a size upgrade from the one I'd had since college. It went to Goodwill eventually.

In my bedroom, I had a hand-me-down 23"(ish) flat screen that a friend used as a computer monitor. I gave it away for use in a daycare. I upgraded a few years ago to a 32" flat screen on Amazon Prime day. That's all I have now, and it's in my bedroom. I refuse to move it to the living room. I'd just fall asleep on the couch, so I'm eliminating a step by having it in the bedroom.

• Love 2
(edited)

It went to Goodwill eventually.

Lol, we got a old black and white tv at Goodwill. One night my DH and I were in bed watching it and I fell asleep. The next thing I knew he was running out of the bedroom, clutching the smoking tv  wearing my pink satin robe. He ran into the back yard and got the hose just as it burst into flames. Moral? Don't fall asleep with a ten dollar Goodwill tv on.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 12