Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

Peacheslatour, I didn't buy the same wallet, but I got one on Amazon that is the same sort of thing, I've had it for about 6 months, I love it. I read reviews and selected one that was available in blue, I think it was about $7. I am car-less for a while, so I walk and it was bothering me to put my debit card in my jeans, I was worried that I would destroy it that way. I love this aluminum wallet, it holds my medical card, debit card, driver's license, a few dollars, slides into my jeans pockets. I never carry a purse anymore, it's not really a safe thing to do in the neighborhood I have to walk in.

• Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Peacheslatour, I didn't buy the same wallet, but I got one on Amazon that is the same sort of thing, I've had it for about 6 months, I love it. I read reviews and selected one that was available in blue, I think it was about $7. I am car-less for a while, so I walk and it was bothering me to put my debit card in my jeans, I was worried that I would destroy it that way. I love this aluminum wallet, it holds my medical card, debit card, driver's license, a few dollars, slides into my jeans pockets. I never carry a purse anymore, it's not really a safe thing to do in the neighborhood I have to walk in.

Wait... are you me? That's exactly what I do!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2

I bought my Aluma wallet at Bed, Bath, Beyond to take on my Road Trip. When I go to take a scenic RR trip or something like that, I don't want to lug around a purse. Damn thing kept sliding out of my pocket when I sat down, so I had to put duct tape on the outside, just to give it some traction so it wouldn't be so slippery. Stays put now!

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I bought my Aluma wallet at Bed, Bath, Beyond to take on my Road Trip. When I go to take a scenic RR trip or something like that, I don't want to lug around a purse. Damn thing kept sliding out of my pocket when I sat down, so I had to put duct tape on the outside, just to give it some traction so it wouldn't be so slippery. Stays put now!

I have duct tape on my Aluma wallet too. It holds it together because it broke, but I will never part with it! I refuse to carry a purse.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1

I've never carried a purse, although I have a messenger bag for work stuff and a small day bag for traveling that holds a water bottle, camera, and guide book. For passport, credit card, and cash while traveling, I have several t shirts with a zipper pocket sewn into the front just big enough to carry those things.

I've lost about 30 lbs in 2 years, that's a lot for me, I'm 4'11" and with losing that over that length of time, I'm hopeful it will stay off, I'd like to lose about another 10 lbs. But because I'm horribly broke all the time, I'm still wearing my fat jeans, very little slides out of those pockets! I have a couple pair that I bought this year that are 2 sizes smaller, those are almost becoming fat jeans, one pair has really small pockets, hate those, and I have to be careful with them. May consider putting some duct tape. 

But, back to pockets for women's clothing for a minute, I just read an article about why women's clothing doesn't have pockets. Because if women have pockets, they can carry more things, things like subversive reading materials, to give them ideas, money, to give them freedom. Before forced retirement, I wore pants and refused to buy any without pockets, I worked in a psych hospital and even though I didn't work on any of the patient units, I still had to unlock every door along the way, so I had to have keys on me all the time. The last couple of years I worked, my pants were getting pretty sad because I couldn't find replacements. Back in ancient days, when I wore dresses, I made all of my own clothes and I put pockets in everything, and they got deeper with every dress or skirt. I hated making pants and actually in the last few years I only sewed doll clothing. If I ever get to move out of the current hell in which I live, I have to get rid of a lot of dresses, all with pockets. They're packed and I can't get to them. I have a couple I'm keeping, but most will be gone.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, friendperidot said:

But, back to pockets for women's clothing for a minute, I just read an article about why women's clothing doesn't have pockets. Because if women have pockets, they can carry more things, things like subversive reading materials, to give them ideas, money, to give them freedom.

I thought it was to save manufacturing costs after fanny packs became popular. Since customers had somewhere else to stash what they needed to carry, they were willing to buy the clothing without pockets. How do you feel about cargo pants? Apparently a less-baggy version, but still with the traditional pockets, has gained some popularity recently, although I think some designers have gone overboard; the pockets look odd tacked onto something more akin to leggings.

1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I thought it was to save manufacturing costs after fanny packs became popular. Since customers had somewhere else to stash what they needed to carry, they were willing to buy the clothing without pockets. How do you feel about cargo pants? Apparently a less-baggy version, but still with the traditional pockets, has gained some popularity recently, although I think some designers have gone overboard; the pockets look odd tacked onto something more akin to leggings.

I thought it was to reduce "dreaded" bulk.

• Love 1
(edited)

janie jones and loneharanguer, in modern times, it's all of those reasons, but apparently in the 18th century when pockets in men's clothing became popular, women's clothing went pocketless. I guess I should have put the historical notation in there. Edited to add that also in recent times, manufacturers and designers make a h*ll of a lot of money on purses, totes, clutches.

Loneharanguer, I hadn't really thought about cargo pants, at work they were not allowed because of danger to the employees because...psych patients. We were also not allowed to wear open toe shoes. 

Because of limited transportation, I am sort of stuck with Walmart and Amazon, but I may look into cargo pants, it isn't really all that important anymore, I live in jeans, I'm basically an old hippie. And at over 60 years, it's a hard habit to break. Edited again, because in some of the articles I was reading on this, several people suggested buying men's pants. At 4'11", I usually have to hem all pants, even petite, because apparently manufacturers don't think you can be short and fat. I have had a 30 lb weight loss over the past couple of years, but still have hips and a butt, men's pants are not an option.

This isn't the article I read, it covers many of the points discussed here. https://mic.com/articles/133948/the-weird-complicated-sexist-history-of-pockets#.AilQtvnZP

I kept searching, here's the article I read: https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/the-disturbing-reason-womens-clothing-historically-never-had-pockets/ar-AAopCOf

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I have had a 30 lb weight loss over the past couple of years, but still have hips and a butt, men's pants are not an option.

Have you actually tried men's pants?  I only ask because I've worked at a clothing retailer for most of 12 years, and I've found that there are some curvy women (women with hips and a butt) who do better in men's jeans than even the women's ones made for that body type.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

How do you feel about cargo pants? Apparently a less-baggy version, but still with the traditional pockets, has gained some popularity recently, although I think some designers have gone overboard; the pockets look odd tacked onto something more akin to leggings.

Alas, somewhere between the time the iPhone came out - when I suddenly had an urgent need for side pockets :) - and today, Fashion has decided that women's cargos can only come in capris.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Alas, somewhere between the time the iPhone came out - when I suddenly had an urgent need for side pockets :) - and today, Fashion has decided that women's cargos can only come in capris.

Right? WTH is up with that?

• Love 3

Capris might work for me! Buy the tall and they'd hit at my ankle! That gives me a whole new bunch of pants I could look into! lol. Janie, haven't tried on men's pants, but the idea of cutting half of them off to get them short enough just wears me out. But I could make doll pants with the left over legs! When I was young, I wore boys sweaters and tee shirts. I don't know if I've lost enough weight to do that again. In those days I weighed less than 100 lbs., I'm not there yet and probably won't ever be again, but I might take a peek in the boys department for plain tee shirts.

• Love 1

I maintain that "skinny" pants need to die a fiery death. I'm 5'3" and wear a size 18. Skinny pants aren't a good look on me, but that's all I can find/afford. And "ankle length"? That's instep length on me, but not long enough for boots. "Regular" is an odd length and "tall" is a foot too long.

My mother made all our clothes when we were growing up, so everything fit perfectly, plus no one else had what I was wearing. I miss that.

• Love 4

Several years ago I bought a bunch of "husky" boys shorts. Not only did they have much better pockets, but they were less than ten dollars! Sadly, I'm now huskier than a husky boy and can't wear them anymore.

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

My mother made all our clothes when we were growing up, so everything fit perfectly, plus no one else had what I was wearing. I miss that.

Mine too, but I always longed for "store bought" - I never realized how lucky I was! If I saw something in the store, mom could make it and together we always found cuter fabric than the store version. But homemade clothes always reminded me that we were poor. She's 85 now and with scoliosis she's about 4'10" and her spine is all bent. She buys her pants now, but sits and pulls out the stitches then hand sews them back into something that will fit the unique issues her body has now. She will not abide poorly fitted clothes!

• Love 10
(edited)

Yeah, as a young teenager, I felt like our poorness was glaringly obvious by my homemade clothes, but no one ever picked on me, so it was just my insecurity. I had beautiful floral dresses that looked like Laura Ashley (popular back then). I wore store-bought jeans and tops more as I got a little older, but I still wore homemade shorts, dress shirts and dresses. Picking out patterns and fabric was fun. Mom can make anything.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

Nordley Beaumont, I am considering looking into "husky" boys pants and shorts, I may have lost enough weight to get into them. And they might be short enough that I wouldn't have to cut half of them off to hem them! My mother made all of our clothes too when I was a kid and what she didn't make, my grandmother did. I too felt that we were poor and I longed for store bought clothes, now I know how lucky I was to have beautifully made dresses, and that was all were were allowed to wear to school in the 50s and 60s. I'm lucky that they passed that sewing gene onto me even if currently my machines are in storage. I long to get out of this place and into my own place again and get all of my stuff unpacked and start sewing and making doll houses again. I am calling this my time in exile.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Picking out patterns and fabric was fun.

I loved that, too.  Sitting down with all those pattern books spread out on the slanted table, picking a couple out and going to the big filing drawers to get them, and then wandering around to select fabric and notions.  Good memories.

• Love 8

Like many of you, our family was poor.  My mom made all my clothes; two were my particular favorites.  My green gingham square-dance skirt, with matching head scarf and a white peasant blouse with green gingham bows.  Store-bought crinolines, though.  She also made my 6th or 8th grade graduation dress and she made it with silk satin (the REAL stuff) overlaid with the prettiest lace we could find.  It had an empire waist and empire sleeves and I felt like a princess.  I also longed for store-bought stuff, though.  My older neighbor used to give me her hand-me-downs, and her family was well-off.  I had a great childhood!

• Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:35 PM, Maharincess said:

What is ossieraries?  I searched the word but google said there is no such word. 

Sorry, I meant "Dakhma".

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:01 PM, smittykins said:

After all these years, the theremin(?) on the NBC Mystery Movie theme still kind of freaks me out.

Man, that theme song haunts me to this day!

• Love 1

Brattinella, my parents were square dancers, my mom made all of their outfits, my dad's shirts, her dresses, and petticoats, I envy that ability. I've tried making dolls size petticoats and fail miserably. I also admire her ability to put all those gripper fastners on my dad's shirts, they lined up perfectly. I've tried to something similar in doll clothes, grommets instead of grippers, but the application is the same. I can't get 3 of them to line up. I even bought a special tool to do it, it's packed in a box somewhere. One year, mom made matching square dance outfits for the entire family, dresses and petticoats for herself, me and my sister, matching shirts for my dad and brother. I loved that dress, I wore it to school without the petticoat. I almost want to learn square dancing again, just for all the colorful outfits. But on the other hand, I hate the music.

• Love 5

On a different note, I think the Heroes & Icons network may be about to add The Rockford Files to their fall lineup. I was checking On Demand to see what's available, and some episodes from the fifth season were listed as coming up. *fingers crossed in anticipation*

• Love 3

can anyone tell me how to delete a mistake quote box?

Have you ever tried melting butterscotch chips in with the marshmallows and butter?

No, but I've melted butterscotch chips with butter, then added chow mien noodles, those are good too. After mixing, dump spoonfuls out on buttered wax paper. And I've melted chocolate and butter, added oatmeal and walnuts, dump spoonfuls on buttered wax paper. Haven't done those in years. 

Jim Rockfish on H&I? Whoopie, I'll be there!!!! And, Cobalt Stranger, I kind of had that feeling the other day, I think I saw an ad with James Garner talking on H&I. I wasn't paying attention, so I'm not sure what it was. But as far as I'm concerned, Star Trek could go away, Enterprise is on about it's 5th run, Voyager & Deep Space Nine are on their 3rd runs. I don't watch Next Generation or the original series, so I don't know how many times they've been on, they started last August. Of course Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue have been on, I don't know how many cycles, but I've seen them at least 2 cycles. I still enjoy them though. And I've never been fond of Hercules and Xena, so they could both go away. I'm ready for a lot of the retro channels to do a line up change. 

47 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

can anyone tell me how to delete a mistake quote box?

put your cursor over the box, there will be a darker outline.  In the upper left hand corner is a resizing plus sign which you can drag make the box bigger.  In addition, click on the plus sign, then press the Delete button on your keyboard.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

On a different note, I think the Heroes & Icons network may be about to add The Rockford Files to their fall lineup. I was checking On Demand to see what's available, and some episodes from the fifth season were listed as coming up. *fingers crossed in anticipation*

For me, COZI has Rockford Files on weekend nights. He follows Columbo. 

• Love 3

That commercial where the mom is rearranging the dishwasher comes around every so often and annoys everyone and someone wondered why you rinse the dishes if you're just going to put them in the dishwasher.  We've only had a dishwasher since November (a portable one because we can't have a built-in, and we got it because I was tired of going to the ER for stitches because I've cut myself on a glass or a knife {it's happened three times since 2000 and even with insurance ER visits are not freaking cheap}) so I don't know if it's because I was used to rinsing dishes before I washed them by hand, but I rinse everything before it goes in the dishwasher.  Even the silverware.

On a completely unrelated note, I've discovered the best hand and body wash ever.  I've used Bath & Body Works soaps for two decades at least.  A while back I had a coupon if you bought a Dial body wash, you got a hand soap for free and I'm all about free things that aren't really free because I'm spending money on something else.  Can I just say that until I used the Dial, I always thought I had rough hands and couldn't really do anything about it?  The Dial soap made everything so soft I couldn't believe it.  And it was coconut, to boot, which is my favorite scent ever.  Of course I still have a ton of Bath & Body stuff to go through because I stocked up, but once it's gone it's Dial all the way.

• Love 3

It's recommended to scrape, not rinse, dishes before putting them in the dishwasher; it wastes water to rinse (because rinsing isn't necessary in order for the dishes to come out clean*), plus there's something about the enzymes in the detergent needing some food particles to attach to so it doesn't rinse away pretty much as soon as the cycle starts.  I haven't explored that second prong in any depth since I don't have a dishwasher (I will once I finally renovate my kitchen, though, and man do I miss having one).

*This wasn't true of my crappy dishwasher back in the day, but for decent machines of recent decades, that's how they're supposed to work and generally do.  When I am someplace that has a dishwasher, I scrape - and the dishes seem perfectly clean when they come out - but something with avocado or melted cheese, I rinse or even soak (depending on how much time has passed before putting it in the dishwasher), because otherwise it may not come off in the wash.

• Love 1

That assumes one's landlord replaced one's 30-year-old dishwasher with something nicer than this. Look at all the options! This fell off the back of a truck at Discount Larry's Crazy Deals.

everything_here_is.something-1502292652913.thumb.jpg.b6d420dbf6105b0b42a62d00664e535e.jpg

P.S. Flooring is "wood-look" adhesive rolls. I'd have no qualms with any of this if my rent wasn't raised $100 a year.

• Love 5

The management office loves to tell me the reason for the increases is "the market", as if I don't know about the market from working in commercial real estate. I know what I rent and what it's worth.

My 1969 apartment complex and my unit with circa 1987 finishes isn't competing with Midtown and Uptown new construction that's $2000-3500(!!) a month and includes stainless appliances, granite countertops, "wood-look" blinds, laminate flooring throughout, valet trash and laundry, a pet washing station, etc. I sat and heard the multifamily guys (sellers of apartment complexes) talk about this stuff all.day.long.every.damn.day. Don't at me with "the market" when my carpet is pulling apart at every seam and edge. Ugh!

I want to move to the middle of Colorado with no people around. Just give me the internet and delivery service, since I hate cooking.

I'm fiesty tonight!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The management office loves to tell me the reason for the increases is "the market", as if I don't know about the market from working in commercial real estate. I know what I rent and what it's worth.

My 1969 apartment complex and my unit with circa 1987 finishes isn't competing with Midtown and Uptown new construction that's $2000-3500(!!) a month and includes stainless appliances, granite countertops, "wood-look" blinds, laminate flooring throughout, valet trash and laundry, a pet washing station, etc. I sat and heard the multifamily guys (sellers of apartment complexes) talk about this stuff all.day.long.every.damn.day. Don't at me with "the market" when my carpet is pulling apart at every seam and edge. Ugh!

I want to move to the middle of Colorado with no people around. Just give me the internet and delivery service, since I hate cooking.

I'm fiesty tonight!

Seattle is just as bad. We own our home but our son rents. His rent goes up $100. a month every year.

I really don't like most dairy products, don't eat cheese or sour cream and only tolerate milk if it's in cereal, so I don't like the taste of butter.  To me, it tastes rancid no matter how fresh it is

??!! No pizza? No tacos? No lasagne? How do you live?

• Love 4

I rent a very, very, small house and my rent has gone up a total of $200 since I moved in, in May 2000. The landlord has replaced the furnace, the hot water tank, the refrigerator, and the stove since I moved in.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

??!! No pizza? No tacos? No lasagne? How do you live?

I eat tacos, just don't put cheese on them.  I do occasionally eat pizza, but only with light cheese.  Mozarella isn't that obnoxious to me, flavor wise, anyway.

I one time was invited to a friend's house for dinner.  They served lasagna, Greek salad (with feta) and cheesecake.  I just sort of pushed stuff around on my plate.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I eat tacos, just don't put cheese on them.  I do occasionally eat pizza, but only with light cheese.  Mozarella isn't that obnoxious to me, flavor wise, anyway.

I one time was invited to a friend's house for dinner.  They served lasagna, Greek salad (with feta) and cheesecake.  I just sort of pushed stuff around on my plate.

I am so sorry. I think if I had to choose one food over all others it would be cheese.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ABay said:

I rent a very, very, small house and my rent has gone up a total of $200 since I moved in, in May 2000. The landlord has replaced the furnace, the hot water tank, the refrigerator, and the stove since I moved in.

Can I live in another home he owns?

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I am so sorry. I think if I had to choose one food over all others it would be cheese.

I realized within the last year or so that I'm lactose intolerant. I weep for my lost loves that were cheese and sour cream. I can do goat cheese and have gotten used to soy and almond milk. Trader Joe's versions are quite good. Vegan cheese is eh.

20 hours ago, riley702 said:

OMG, I'd have had a cow over the rent going up that much! Here in the Indy area, $10-25 a year is average.

Wait, I'm confused. Do you mean, once a year, the monthly rent goes up $10-25, as in for all of 2016 paid (intentionally fake number) $100/ month, then 2017 rolled around and it went up to $125/month (ie $1200/year vs $1500/year) ? Or do you mean for all of 2016 combined, you paid $1200, but then it went up in 2017,  and by the end of December the grand total for the year will end up having been $1225?

I understand it to mean that annually, when the lease renews, the monthly rent goes up $10-25.

I used to work for a "slumlord" - a guy who owned a bunch of small houses that he rarely did any maintenance on - who also conducted seminars on how to be a landlord. He taught that you should raise the rent annually by small amounts - so small that it's not worth moving over.  Of course, he never did that with his own rental properties, which may be why almost all his homes were taken in foreclosure.

On 8/10/2017 at 9:00 PM, theatremouse said:

Wait, I'm confused. Do you mean, once a year, the monthly rent goes up $10-25, as in for all of 2016 paid (intentionally fake number) $100/ month, then 2017 rolled around and it went up to $125/month (ie $1200/year vs $1500/year) ? Or do you mean for all of 2016 combined, you paid $1200, but then it went up in 2017,  and by the end of December the grand total for the year will end up having been $1225?

Sorry. They'd raise it $10-25 per month. I was responding to ennui's comment that their rent would go up by $100/month and that they wouldn't even notice an increase of $100/year.

And I agree with peachelatour - I couldn't give up cheese. I'd be popping those lactaid tablets and keep eating!

Edited by riley702
  • Love 3

I do take lactaid when something I know has dairy in it but it doesn't help sometimes. And if I just eat "too much" dairy for my system, well...there's an inevitable unpleasant outcome. I'm sure you don't want to know more!

• Love 2