Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

My rotten child is again questioning why I watch spring training games “if they don’t even count” and seriously I do not know what I am going to do with him.

49 minutes ago, cleo said:

I'm already tired of hearing about Ohtani. 

Now this, I can get behind.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 4/4/2022 at 1:06 PM, mojoween said:

My rotten child is again questioning why I watch spring training games “if they don’t even count” and seriously I do not know what I am going to do with him.

My family doesn't seem to care either.  Not fun.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I had no idea that monsoon-like conditions will be happening in NYC tomorrow.  There is going to be a revolt if they rescheduled the game more than 24 hours before and nothing happens.

• Love 3

That sucks after waiting so long. I've been looking forward to Jays opener for ages.....also bc I have the next two weeks off so I am planning the whole day to celebrate the start of my vacation lol. 

• Love 6
(edited)

As a Padres fan, I am all in with measured, cautious, yet cynical optimism. But I'm so happy opening day is here, and hoping I can squeak out of work early to trek home so I can be in front of the TV in PJs.

ETA: I'm not feeling cautious optimism anymore, lol. Poor Darvish.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 4
(edited)

Nice tribute to Max by the Nats. Holy crap, he’s put up hotter stats than deGrom. Two no-hitters in one season?!?

Music to introduce the Mets . . . is that from Iron Chef?

Clarification: it’s the music from right after they introduced the chefs, when Chairman Kaga stood alone in Kitchen Stadium, dramatically munching a pepper.

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 4
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Nice tribute to Max by the Nats. Holy crap, he’s put up hotter stats than deGrom. Two no-hitters in one season?!?

Music to introduce the Mets . . . is that from Iron Chef?

Clarification: it’s the music from right after they introduced the chefs, when Chairman Kaga stood alone in Kitchen Stadium, dramatically munching a pepper.

Iron Chef famously stole that music from the film Backdraft.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Phanatic parachuted into The Bank, no matter what happens today is a success!

My prediction is that Didi hits a homer.

ETA: Welcome to Philadelphia Kyle!

Edited by bosawks
Kyle Schwarber is awesome
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Woo!  Opening day for the Yankees!  Been looking forward to the start of the game all day….oh.  Well fuck.

I, on the other hand, totally forgot the game started at 3 and only turned it on about 3:25.  Fortunately, it's not ugly...yet.

It's gonna be that kind of season.  Sigh... 

(edited)
27 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I, on the other hand, totally forgot the game started at 3 and only turned it on about 3:25.  Fortunately, it's not ugly...yet.

It's gonna be that kind of season.  Sigh... 

Seconded. And I'm not even an O's fan.

eta My game has already hit ugly status, and it's only the bottom of the 3rd. 😭

Edited by emmawoodhouse

Yesterday, the Pirates signed their third baseman, KeBryan Hayes (son of Charlie) to the largest contract in franchise history. 

Two hours later he experienced a muscle strain in his arm that resulted in him being pulled in the first inning.

Gonna be a long season.

“Just going to watch stuff off the DVR and poke around online. I’ll go to YouTube . . . and someone posted a clip of Lindor taking one to the face.

”Lovely.”

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Yesterday, the Pirates signed their third baseman, KeBryan Hayes (son of Charlie) to the largest contract in franchise history. 

Two hours later he experienced a muscle strain in his arm that resulted in him being pulled in the first inning.

Gonna be a long season.

Misery isn’t unique for specific fans. I have to remember that.

• Love 3

Obviously I couldn’t understand a word of the Ukrainian national anthem, but that 11 year old girl who sang it at Yankee Stadium was adorable and she sounded great singing it.  Nice touch by the Yankees (and I loved the pointed remarks by the stadium announcer).

(edited)

That Jays game.  Holy Moly Cannoli.  They were losing 7-0 and I went to sleep, woke up around midnight and watched Jays in 30.  Never in a million years would I assume they would have won that game, I was getting ready to watch a terrible loss.

I think they ended up winning 10-9.  They must really like having 47,000 people on their side watching them for once.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I watched the whole thing. I am usually a pessimist but I had faith. Im not going to many games this year but the new light system etc at Rogers looks amazing.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That Jays game.  Holy Moly Cannoli.  They were losing 7-0 and I went to sleep, woke up around midnight and watched Jays in 30.  Never in a million years would I assume they would have won that game, I was getting ready to watch a terrible loss.

I think they ended up winning 10-9.  They must really like having 47,000 people on their side watching them for once.

My former big league boyfriend Adam Jones was very excited about it, if his tweets are any indication.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, cleo said:

I watched the whole thing. I am usually a pessimist but I had faith. Im not going to many games this year but the new light system etc at Rogers looks amazing.

I obviously didn't have faith (LOL) but by Fridays I'm exhausted.  I swear I would have kept watching if it was a different night.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
43 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I think my team will challenge the '62 Mets in the misery factor. I think 60 wins is a big ask. 

Don't say that. Those Mets went 40-120. That's a record in futility that will never be reached, mostly because that team was for nostalgia and entertainment purposes.

Mets are 3-0. I'd ask "Who needs deGrom?" . .. . but the Mets do. They really do. Douse him in holy water? Fuck it, dunk his ass into a Lazarus Pit, and it wouldn't be enough. Also, the Nationals seem to be fond of plunking the Mets. They do that tomorrow, I think Buck will go into the other dugout and personally choke out some of the Nationals.

Forgot to post this link a while back . . . Deadspin trashes the Guardians' theme song. I haven't heard it, but they make it sound awful.

Looking at boxscores . . . Syndegaard won his Angels' debut. Five-and-one-third innings, no runs. Good for him. I think the team got him because Ohtani needed someone who knows about a team not backing him up. I also saw Javy Baez's walkoff replay hit. Once again, I am thankful he chose not to sign with an NL East team for the purpose of running over the Mets and their fans 22 times a year.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Forgot to post this link a while back . . . Deadspin trashes the Guardians' theme song. I haven't heard it, but they make it sound awful.

It's beyond awful.  The tune isn't catchy, the lyrics are cliched and barely mention Cleveland, let alone baseball.  There is nothing about this song that makes me want to sing along, let alone go to a game.  A massive swing and a miss for strike 3.

12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Why wasn’t ESPN using Karl Ravech, David Cone and Eduardo Perez the whole time?

Because you can spell Common Sense without the letters E.S.P.N

• LOL 4

K*** Hernandez had the most uncomfortable mic’d up session in history.  It was great.

A nine inning Yankees/Red Sox game that goes three hours, fifty minutes … baseball is BACK, baby.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 2
On 4/10/2022 at 12:37 AM, emmawoodhouse said:

I think my team will challenge the '62 Mets in the misery factor. I think 60 wins is a big ask. 

You must be a fellow  Pirates fan. Here's my first time posting this (this season): Nutting needs gone.

Edited by Colleenna
Can't type for $#!+
Just now, Colleenna said:

You must be a fellow  Pirates fan. Here's my first time posting this (thi season): Nutting needs gone.

Nope. A's fan. They totally destroyed their playoff roster from last season. Won a laugher tonight at Tampa, but I expect those to be few and far between. 😭

40 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Nope. A's fan. They totally destroyed their playoff roster from last season. Won a laugher tonight at Tampa, but I expect those to be few and far between. 😭

I'm so old I remember the A's from the days of Rollie and Catfish. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm back in familiar territory: "If I watch the Mets on TV, they will go downhill fast." I know, it's bullshit, most people have believed that at one point or another . . . but these are the Mets. Up 4-0 in the eighth, and they blew it.

1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

I'm so old I remember the A's from the days of Rollie and Catfish. 

Are you old enough to remember they played in Kansas City?

Edited by Lantern7
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm back in familiar territory: "If I watch the Mets on TV, they will go downhill fast." I know, it's bullshit, most people have believed that at one point or another . . . but these are the Mets. Up 4-0 in the eighth, and they blew it.

Are you old enough to remember they played in Kansas City?

Oh please.  I'm so old that when I was a little kid, they were in that-other-PA-city-which-cannot-be-spoken.

[Best description of PA: Two cities that hate each other,  separated by the Amish.]

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Oh please.  I'm so old that when I was a little kid, they were in that-other-PA-city-which-cannot-be-spoken.

[Best description of PA: Two cities that hate each other,  separated by the Amish.]

Ah, Connie Mack! Not that I'm old enough to remember him. 😁

15 hours ago, Colleenna said:

You must be a fellow  Pirates fan. Here's my first time posting this (this season): Nutting needs gone.

I am! Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that Nutting is never going to sell. It wouldn't surprise me if he is the "poorest" owner in the league and the Pirates are his cash cow.