Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Just found something that might make people stop thinking about Bauer for a while. I’m glad I’m awake now.

The no-hitter definitely does help, but there was the NFL Draft & NBA postseason that it didn't take much to ignore that mess

13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

YES!

Mets went fifty years before their first no-hitter. Second one? Less than ten.

Where are ya, @Moose135?!?

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the game. I didn't find a deal on MLB TV yet, so I don't get many games. ☹️

(edited)

Just got home, found out the Mets won the first game of a traditional doubleheader. For future reference: is there an established period of time between games?

I can’t remember the last time I saw two games for one price. I saw some as a kid. Went to Banner Day several times  . . . even walked the field with my father one year.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

For future reference: is there an established period of time between games?

If I remember, it is 30 minutes after the final pitch of the first game. 

• Useful 3

Standard is 30 but it can be extended to up to 45 by the umpire, if and only if, the umpire notifies both managers as soon as the first game concludes and only if the ump feels they need the extra time in between for some reason. Like if the ump thought they needed 35 minutes, could call for that. It just can't go more than 45.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was watching the game.  The crying and hugging went on for much longer.

Then, he had to be consoled by his father afterwards.

Oh god!  I cried too.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I was watching the game.  The crying and hugging went on for much longer.

Then, he had to be consoled by his father afterwards.

Oh god!  I cried too.

I would also sob my face off if I were to meet Aaron Judge. 

• Love 4

It was nice to see the Angels clobber the Red Sox today, and for Ohtani to pitch very well at Fenway. The Angels definitely look better with a healthy Trout. 

• Love 5

Flip to SNY. Mets are down 7-1. So I burn through some DVR space, occasionally turning to the Pens/Rangers game. I flip back to SNY . . . and the Mets are up 8-7 in the bottom of the ninth. They wind up beating the Phillies on the road, and they had a 7-run ninth inning.

It's too early to start thinking positive, right?

• Love 2

The crying Yankees fan story gets cuter - he and his family, plus the Blue Jays fan, have been invited with nine guests each to the Bronx later in the season to watch a game from The Judges Chambers.

Also the nine year old boy’s first name is Derek and bet you can’t guess the inspiration for that name.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The crying Yankees fan story gets cuter - he and his family, plus the Blue Jays fan, have been invited with nine guests each to the Bronx later in the season to watch a game from The Judges Chambers.

Also the nine year old boy’s first name is Derek and bet you can’t guess the inspiration for that name.

Even better, his name is Derek Rodriguez.  LOL.

18 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Five games postponed due to rain, including Rangers-Yankees and Mets-Phillies.

Glad we live in central New York and not the southern tier, it was so beautiful today I was still surprised the game was postponed even though I knew they said it was going to rain in the south.

• Love 1
(edited)

Miguel Cabrera got his 600th double today, joining only Hank Aaron & Albert Pujols with at least 3000 hits, 500 HRs and 600 doubles.  Still waiting on stolen base #40.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

A doubleheader today?  Happy Mother’s Day indeed.

We're only staying for the first game.

Oh, you weren't talking about my team... 😄

Also, Happy Mother's Day to all who celebrate!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I loathe pink merch for teams whose colors are not pink. I am an actual fan. I want stuff that looks like the actual team.

That said, the Nationals' City Connect unis looked better than any of their normal unis, and while I'm not a fan of the team, I would totally support them: making those cherry blossom unis official moving forward and switching their team colors to pink. They've looked totally generic since the team's inception. Generic name. Boring unis. Embrace the cherry trees!

• Love 2

Good grief!  What's happening with the Red Sox?  So many of their hitters are below the Mondoza line (.200). Only two are over .300. 
Plus I recall that the Sox owners were devotees of Bill James, the pioneering baseball statistician. Was it James who issued warnings about formerly star pitchers over 30 being risks for maintaining their previously superior performance?  Thus, you do not give them long term contracts for a bajillion dollars. Just what they actually did with Price and Sale. And we see what happened to these two former stellar performers.

I haven’t listened to sports shows today (4.5 hour car trip to New Jersey + getting home at 3:30 a.m. Sunday x cat who thinks letting me sleep in means he will starve to death = PTO day on Monday) but I hope they have teased the Rangers manager mercilessly for his silly home run comment.

Looks like not many people can manage a surprise day game.  If you pause the YES app I bet you can count the spectators in the stands.

• Love 1

This doesn’t really have anything to do with anything, but I’m watching the re-air of yesterday’s Yankees game (which I also watched live, this is a sickness, I tell ya) and it made me wonder - do you think that Anthony Rizzo has ever looked like he is mad?  I bet his face isn’t even capable of DOING that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

So much to love while the umps were trying to toss every Blue Jay in sight - the stadium guy playing “Why Can’t We Be Friends” and “(Party) Up In Here” while Toronto’s manager was arguing, everyone angry about Donaldson getting plunked but no one really seeming to be concerned with how he is doing, and during a slow-motion replay, Bo Bichette’s hair blowing magnificently in the background.

• LOL 7

Congrats to Detmers and his no hitter, and he’s a rookie too! Plus it was on the night they presented Ohtani his MVP so there were actually fans there. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, mojoween said:

So much to love while the umps were trying to toss every Blue Jay in sight - the stadium guy playing “Why Can’t We Be Friends” and “(Party) Up In Here” while Toronto’s manager was arguing, everyone angry about Donaldson getting plunked but no one really seeming to be concerned with how he is doing, and during a slow-motion replay, Bo Bichette’s hair blowing magnificently in the background.

My favourite tweet said that Charlie Montoyo got ejected for the crime of looking upset.

Jomboy also shared a video of the umpire saying "BOOM, GOT YA" as he ejected him but I think he deleted it.  Maybe he misread the lips and felt bad.

Also, Charlie Montoyo covering the bottom of his face the entire time he was yelling because he didn't want Jomboy and other online commentators to do the lip-reading.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I have similar feelings about Lourdes Gurriel Jr.'s body.  To me he's like the model that they based the uniforms on, because his lean lanky body actually fits the horrible uniform properly and he makes it look so nice.

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 10.49.23 PM.png

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have similar feelings about Lourdes Gurriel Jr.'s body.  To me he's like the model that they based the uniforms on, because his lean lanky body actually fits the horrible uniform properly and he makes it look so nice.

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 10.49.23 PM.png

Also, the hair.  Never have I seen a baseball team more follicularly magnificent than the Blue Jays.

• LOL 6
(edited)

With like 3 exceptions the Rays players all seem completely unmemorable to me. Like I feel like I've probably watched some of these guys for a few years- Diaz? Margot? And when they come up to bat I'm still like who the fuck are these guys? They're always like vaguely familiar but I have no idea who they are, if they're good players.

I know Kiermayer. I know Arozarena from the WS. I know of Franco but I couldn't pick him out of a lineup without help lol.

I guess lack of media.

Edited by cleo

I caught the final inning of Mariners/Mets. Mets were down 8-5, narrowed the lead to one, had the bases loaded (thanks to the Mariners giving Lindor the walk) . . . and Alonso struck out on a check swing on a pitch that would’ve pushed in the tying run.

The funny thing is I can’t say something like “Yeah, that’s what I get for hoping.” Mets got a few lucky hits in the ninth, and I was watching to see if they could pull it off.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

The Pirates just got no hit but won the game 1-0.

Is “Only The Reds” a thing? All I know about Cincinnati is that their ballpark is good, Fiona the hippo is the star of the zoo, and Joe Burrow figured the Bengals didn’t get that many COVID cases because the nightlife was lacking.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I caught the final inning of Mariners/Mets. Mets were down 8-5, narrowed the lead to one, had the bases loaded (thanks to the Mariners giving Lindor the walk) . . . and Alonso struck out on a check swing on a pitch that would’ve pushed in the tying run.

The funny thing is I can’t say something like “Yeah, that’s what I get for hoping.” Mets got a few lucky hits in the ninth, and I was watching to see if they could pull it off.

Is “Only The Reds” a thing? All I know about Cincinnati is that their ballpark is good, Fiona the hippo is the star of the zoo, and Joe Burrow figured the Bengals didn’t get that many COVID cases because the nightlife was lacking.

Yes it is

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

All I know about Cincinnati is that their ballpark is good, Fiona the hippo is the star of the zoo, and Joe Burrow figured the Bengals didn’t get that many COVID cases because the nightlife was lacking.

The ballpark is okay.  I didn't go to the zoo.  And (nothing personal, anyone from Cincinnati) I'm not sure why the city is there at all.  There's really nothing going on, including nightlife.  I've been there twice (for 2 ballparks - the new one is definitely better, but still just okay) and I'm not sure why the city exists.  

13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I wonder if baseball fans complained hearing about Babe Ruth?

There are people in this very thread who bitched about too much Ohtani coverage.  Because why wouldn't there be a lot of talk about a guy who is doing something that hasn't been done in a century?  Fans get irked when their favorites are pushed off the front page in favor of someone else.  It could be worse (or better, if you like him) - if Ohtani played for the Yankees or Red Sox he'd get five times the airtime.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

It could be worse (or better, if you like him) - if Ohtani played for the Yankees or Red Sox he'd get five times the airtime.

If Ohtani was white I think he'd get 10 times the airtime.  I don't think that Michelle Tafoya would say such a thing if that was the case - that's my guess.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

If Ohtani was white I think he'd get 10 times the airtime. 

If he played for the Yankees, he would get 100 times the airtime.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I know Anaheim isn't exactly Los Angeles, but isn't it the same market? Maybe the real issue is the prevalent popularity of the Dodgers, when the Angels would always be eclipsed.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

There are people in this very thread who bitched about too much Ohtani coverage.  Because why wouldn't there be a lot of talk about a guy who is doing something that hasn't been done in a century?  Fans get irked when their favorites are pushed off the front page in favor of someone else.  It could be worse (or better, if you like him) - if Ohtani played for the Yankees or Red Sox he'd get five times the airtime.

Seriously. With what he’s done he barely gets any media coverage because he’s on the Angels. At least there was an article about his 100th home run, unfortunately it was at an A’s game where the stadium was mostly empty. Most Angels fans are in Orange County  because the Dodgers own LA. The atmosphere in both stadiums are night and day because Angels fans are pretty chill and don’t fill the stadium like the Dodgers do.

And Michelle Tafoya needs to go away. I thought that the sports world was done with her bitter ass.

Edited by twoods
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

I was someone annoyed but it was more- there was coverage before the season even began about how he should be/would be the MVP this year. 

Last year there was media saying that he should automatically win MVP bc of hitting/pitching even if his numbers were mediocre simply bc he was doing both. Follow up question was- based on that logic Ohtabi should be MVP every year of his career simply bc he is pitching and hitting, again even if the numbers were kind of mediocre. Answer was yes. 

All of that is completely absurd imo. And so what I get tired of- like if he is playing well and hits home runs- then I understand the coverage. But the hysteria simply over his existence that comes and goes is a little over the top.

But I agree since the season has started he hasn't gotten much attn, which is kind of ironic bc the Angels are doing well.

He seems like a fun, likeable player from what I saw last year at the All Star game. 

Edited by cleo