Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I feel like Detroit had to wait a good long time before Game 1 of the WS in 2012, only because I remember how everyone assumed the Tigers would beat the Giants (especially my friends who were A's fans and bitter that the Tigers knocked their team out) because they had had suuuuuch a long time to rest while the Giants vs. Cards went to 7 games in the NLCS.

This happened to Detroit twice. MLB just did an article about it: Nats will now look to avoid fate of '06, '12 Tigers.

17 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I am unreasonably annoyed with FOX’s lazy ass graphics department for showing the Yankees starting lineup in the grays and the Houston outfield in white.  Respect the pinstripes!

I noticed that too. They did the photo shoot for FOX in Houston the day before the first game. I guess the Yankees didn’t bring their home uniforms for the shoot.

Fox had a pre-game segment showing a graffiti artist spray painting a truck with a Bronx Bombers theme with the Manhattan skyline in the background.

I'm pretty sure it was filmed in Queens, home of the Mets.

8 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Seriously Joe?  The Yankees fall behind 3-1?  Shouldn't that be the Astros take the lead 3-1?  Yikes... 

Joe Buck isn't calling this game. Some FOX flunkee I've never heard of is filling in.

2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Joe Buck isn't calling this game. Some FOX flunkee I've never heard of is filling in.

The Google machine says Joe Davis.  So I'm just going with "I knew that..."  🙂 

I'm still peeved. 

Buck is in Denver calling the football game.

Yeesh. The Yanks are leaving more people on base than I've had in my class the last two years.

I know small ball isn't much of a thing anymore, but you'd think in a must win game, you'd scratch out runs where you can. I can't see them getting 3 more runs with 9 more outs.

23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I like multi-dimensional offenses, and all I have seen them do is swing away.

I was saying basically the same thing. The offense was stalled by game 3. They were getting people on base but no runs. You've got to make some adjustments. I mean, yeah, you're not going to have Judge bunting, but try a hit and run.

It's a short series. Over 162 games, you want to stay steady, but you're in danger of going down 3-1, and they didn't really do much.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, theatremouse said:

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but do they give everyone those rally towels or did 80% of the stadium buy them?

They’re giveaways at the gate. 

• Useful 2

How hot is in in Houston? Chapman’s face looks damp as hell.

ETA: WALK-OFF HOME RUN. Like the Astros let the Yankees tie the game just to give them hope for a Game 7.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Well obvs I could not BE more fucking disappointed, but the Yankees were better than all but two teams and they went through a hell of a lot this year.

I love these savages SO much and I hope Washington wins in four.

• Love 5

After the walk, as soon as I saw Altuve take the plate in the bottom of the 9th, I was like, welp.

Houston played better. The Yanks left more people on base than my rural hometown, and came up with two great defensive plays. The Yanks didn't really make any adjustments and wasted a lot of at bats.

• Love 2

Congrats Astros fans!  It was so cool seeing my childhood faves Nolan Ryan and Craig Biggio at the game 

I am a Houston native but live in DC and root for the Nats during the season.  The Astros are very hard to beat when Correa and Altuve are both on.   My prediction is an Astros victory in 6.

I have a new bright orange Astros shirt arriving tomorrow.  I wore my red Nats shirt all weekend and will wear the Astros next weekend. I just cannot stomach spending 800 a ticket for standing room,  so I will go and watch the game at a sports bar near Nats park. The great thing about DC is that it's full of transplants, so I won't be the only one in orange.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

I have a new bright orange Astros shirt arriving tomorrow.  I wore my red Nats shirt all weekend and will wear the Astros next weekend. I just cannot stomach spending 800 a ticket for standing room,  so I will go and watch the game at a sports bar near Nats park. The great thing about DC is that it's full of transplants, so I won't be the only one in orange.

But watch out for those baby sharks!

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Factoid I find interesting: Astros and Nationals share spring training facilities.

They have for at least 2 years.  When I lived in Florida, both teams spring facilities were less then 25 miles from me.  Then they both moved South.

I love this pairing because they will see each other again in February, also they are playing each other during the season next year.

3 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

They have for at least 2 years.  When I lived in Florida, both teams spring facilities were less then 25 miles from me.  Then they both moved South.

I love this pairing because they will see each other again in February, also they are playing each other during the season next year.

Oh, I know, I went to an Astros/Nationals spring training game the first year they opened the new park and had moved in together. But it's a factoid that wasn't very interesting until now.

8 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Oh, I know, I went to an Astros/Nationals spring training game the first year they opened the new park and had moved in together. But it's a factoid that wasn't very interesting until now.

I know, I think it's pretty cool.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Cheaper too. I'm going to the World Series, but I'll be doing a drinking vorspiel. 

Indeed.  Face value tickets here are $375 for standing room and $545 for upper deck outfield corners.  I was not sorry I did not get a lottery pick since I wouldn't have bought them anyway (especially since I'm not really fond of Nats Park). 

I love my couch!

• Love 4
On 10/19/2019 at 7:01 PM, kariyaki said:

Craig Biggio threw out the first pitch. That man is still super hot. 

I used to vote for him in All-Star balloting. I didn't know who any of the National League players were so I voted for the guy with the strangest name in each position. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 10/19/2019 at 11:35 PM, basiltherat said:

Woot!  Woot!  My Fun-Sized Baseball Boyfriend, Jose Altuve, is THE BIGGEST MAN IN BASEBALL !!

I thought it was hilarious how, when he was jogging toward the throng waiting for him at home plate, he was telling them not to rip his shirt off.

bx0hbc3jqmdrjnlhbzht.gif

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I'm amused by the fact that Altuve hit the game winning home run to get to the World Series and his thoughts while running toward home were not about the big win, but about how pissed his wife would be if his teammates ripped his jersey off.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1