Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

42 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

What was the Rangers' reasoning?

They didn't want to be the away team in September because then they'd be on a 12-game away roadtrip instead of 9. Boo hoo.

• Love 4

What difference does it make to the Rangers? It's not like they're a contending team.

And so the Astros are looking at something like 19 away games, and playing for a city which has been decimated.

Another reason to hate the Rangers.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

What was the Rangers' reasoning?

Apparently, flipping the series would've given the Rangers a prolonged 12 game road trip at the end of the season when they might be contending for the playoffs.  So, they offered to host both series and give the Astros the proceeds from 'their' series and donate to hurricane relief.  When Houston balked at giving up the home games, MLB stepped in and sent the series to Florida.  And, yes, worrying about their playoff hopes while people have lost their homes, their lives does make the Rangers look pretty small.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

I'm watching the Rays game (they're in KC) and Dewayne Staats, while keeping the reason in perspective, loves how Todd Kalas is back in the home team broadcast booth at the Trop.  He was so great as the on field reporter and occasional play by play guy for the Rays and I hope Astros fans love him as much as I did.

• Love 3

I'm on vacation this week and if I didn't have a retirement luncheon to attend tomorrow for a dear friend and coworker I would drive over to St. Pete for the day game between the Rangers and Astros.  This is one time baseball can't win out.

• Love 3

The Astros are coming home to Houston for the Mets series. There was supposed to be a Correa jersey giveaway Saturday for the first 10,000 fans but they're donating all of them to shelters. 

• Love 5

It looks like a normal sized crowd for Tampa to me as well but I'm thrilled that anyone showed up, to be honest.  The stadium may suck but the Rays are a great organization and there are obviously some wonderful people living in the Tampa/St. Pete area.

• Love 7

I was watching Vixen last night, and I was flipping sporadically to SNY.

Me; Wow, Rafael Montero is pitching a helluva game! He's still going and he only gave up the one hit! This is gonna be an episode of Mets Classics for sure.

(Ninth inning, Montero is out, Reds have two runners on)

Me: Why was he pitching into the ninth? At over 100 pitches?!?

(Bases loaded; one out)

Me: I know where this is going . . .

(Bases loaded, two out, 3-2 count on Scooter Gennett)

Me: Greeeeeeeeeeat. Nice that I can see the ship sinking as it happens.

(AJ Ramos strikes out Gennett to end the game)

Me: Huh. Way to go against the script, guys.

(Later . . . )

Me: They're flying into Houston? Sure. Why the fuck not?!?

• Love 3

The Judge's Chamber seats at Yankee stadium will never again be as cool as they are tonight. Bronx native and real freakin' life Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor is holding court.

• Love 11

Well, I guess the Tigers are not planning on playing in the post-season for the next several years.  Trading Justin Upton this afternoon and now Justin Verlander - for prospects.  To recap - they traded their best hitter, J.D Martinez, for prospects, their best relief pitcher, Justin Wilson, and best hitting catcher, Alex Avila, for prospects, their hottest hitter, Justin Upton, for prospects and their best pitcher for the last decade, Justin Verlander, for prospects.  (Heh, I just realized the Tigers traded 3 Justins in one season.)  

What are the Tigers' prospects for happy fans?  Poor, at best.

• Love 2

I have to admit, I teared up a little hearing about JV being traded.  He really seemed like he wanted to stay a Tiger for his whole career.   Part of me understands the desire to win a World Series, which wasn't likely to happen with Detroit in the next few years.  But another part of me feels like loyalty to the fans doesn't mean a damn thing any more.

I know the Tigers PTB are trying to sell these trades as a good thing, but fans just want to see a good team.  Cutting the bankroll isn't exactly thrilling to watch.   And trading five good, established big leaguers for 10 prospects that may never see a day in the bigs isn't exactly a popular move.  

Consensus among fans is that Ausmus needs to go next.  Then Avila.   Should be an interesting off-season.  Sad that's all I have to look forward to.

My only consolation is that Verlander didn't go to the Yankees.

Edited by Mittengirl

Mets are heading to Houston, and I heard that they'll be joining the Astros in the relief effort today. I'm willing to put money on a Met injuring himself lifting something heavy. Or breaking his foot by dropping something heavy. These are the Mets, after all. I don't know if being the first team to visit Harvey-ravaged Houston is as bad as coming to Miami last year, when Jose Fernandez would have started.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I know the Tigers PTB are trying to sell these trades as a good thing, but fans just want to see a good team.  Cutting the bankroll isn't exactly thrilling to watch.   And trading five good, established big leaguers for 10 prospects that may never see a day in the bigs isn't exactly a popular move.  

That's exactly what the Astros went through several years ago. Sold off all the vets, collected prospects and now look. The rebuild process works, but it ends up being several years of crapitude until the prospects come to fruition.

• Love 3
On 8/31/2017 at 7:55 PM, xaxat said:

The Judge's Chamber seats at Yankee stadium will never again be as cool as they are tonight. Bronx native and real freakin' life Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor is holding court.

It would make me so happy if she'd wear the Yankees logo robe at SCOTUS. Do it for the Bronx!!!

• Love 2

So in last night's Giants/Cardinals game, Brandon Crawford hit a 2-run HR in the 9th inning that was caught by a fan. The Cardinals challenged it (it was clearly a HR) and the umpires in NY took 4 minutes to reverse it and rule it a double instead. They claimed they know the ground rules for AT&T Park but clearly they do not. And they ejected the fan who caught the ball and took it away from him. IT WAS A HOME RUN!!! http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/mlb-admits-ump-made-wrong-replay-call-crawfords-should-be-homer-loss 

So now the MLB is saying they fucked up and it indeed was a home run. But it won't be added to Crawford's record. It would have been his 13th HR which beats his record from last year. That's fucked up. Crawford and his wife are sending the fan who got ejected a signed ball and tickets to a game. Fuck you, umpires. Fuck you, Mike Matheny. Your team was ahead anyway. Fuck you, 2017.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

So, only a hundred years to wait?  And that is assuming the prospects work out.  

Hee! I concede the point that things can go terribly awry for a decade or a century or so if you aren't careful:)) 

Edited by pennben

I have a question about Extra Innings:

I know some team broadcasts don't appear on them like Dodgers & the NY teams & Philadelphia except on occasion.

Recently the Root Sports/AT&T Sportsnet haven't appeared there either.  (which I think I get), but what I don't get is MASN (Nationals only), not being shown this weekend.

Is there a limit of how many games can be shown through EI, or was it just a glitch this weekend?

Mets go swept.Went to the gym, looked at the screen, they were up, 4-1. I hit the machines, I look up again, they're down 6-4. Sounded right to me. Oh, and Wilmer Flores fouled a ball off his nose yesterday. I hope that hurricane-slammed areas take (and will take) priority, but could we get people to see what the hell is wrong with the Mets? I mean, there's underachieving, and then there's dislocating a should by swinging.

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Flores fouled a ball off his nose yesterday.

Of course he did...the Mets lead the league in bizarre injuries.

3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

My understanding is Flores broke his nose on that foul ball.

He did, but there doesn't seem to be any other injuries, and he may play as early as Tuesday.

Flores seems like the type who doesn't want people to forget about him, so he'll play through the pain/show up so Sandy Alderson won't forget him and try to trade him.

Oh and is it just me, does Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling sound alike?

Edited by jennifer6973
12 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Of course he did...the Mets lead the league in bizarre injuries.

Nah, Astros already had the Mets beat there. Colin Moran fouled a ball off his face back in July. Fractured his cheekbone and had to have surgery. Flores is lucky, if he's gonna be back Tuesday. Moran still hasn't come back off the DL from that.

1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

I just read on twitter that Lady Gaga had to postpone her Montreal concert after getting sick playing Citi Field in the rain this weekend.

I believe someone was joking about this above somewhere in this timeline.

That would be me. I'm guessing performing in the rain did her in, but I don't think we're talking Diana Ross/Central Park in 1983. That said? Bring on all of the holy men. All of them.

I missed most of today's game. The Mets wound up winning 11-7, because the Phillies are the bigger whipping boys. Phillies had something going in the ninth, and Gary Cohen noted that the Mets had never blown a ten-run lead. My reaction? "WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?!?" They won, but that was a harrowing few minutes.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I missed most of today's game. The Mets wound up winning 11-7, because the Phillies are the bigger whipping boys. Phillies had something going in the ninth, and Gary Cohen noted that the Mets had never blown a ten-run lead. My reaction? "WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?!?" They won, but that was a harrowing few minutes.

I wouldnt say the Phillies ate bigger whipping boys.The Phillies were always supposed to be bad because they are rebuilding and playing a lot of young guys to see what they have. . They have won more games than the mets have in the last 30 games. In fact the phillies had better records than the Metsin April Jul and August (not great but still better) They are both .500 agaist the rest of the division. Plus as bad as the Phillies have played  The Mets are only 7 games better than them . And as this is the 10th anniversary of the Phillies playing ridiculously good baseball to win the NL East in 2007 who is to say they cant overtake them for 4th place (they probably won't  but you never know ☺)

Edited by shoregirl
3 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Dear At Bat people:

Maybe announcing that "So-and-So has a perfect game through five innings" is just a little soon? Methinks you might want to wait until, say, after the seventh?

kthxbai 

Six innings for no-hitters. I don't think five for perfectos isn't that out of line. Fifteen up and down is rare, even if it isn't right off the bat.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Six innings for no-hitters. I don't think five for perfectos isn't that out of line. Fifteen up and down is rare, even if it isn't right off the bat.

You never talk about no hitters while they are in progress!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

yeah, if you're at the game itself.

Are you trying to tempt the fate of the whatever from high atop the thing? The Baseball Gods are fickle, my young friend, you don't want to go poking them unnecessarily lest they come back and smite thee!

• Love 3