Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I cannot believe how well this all worked out for me. The one game I could not see live (I had concert tickets from months ago) was the one in which the Giants got royally drubbed, no pun intended, and the bright side of their failing to wrap it up on the first try was that I would get to see (1) a Game 7, and those are always good, (2) Joyce DiDonato singing the National Anthem. I think they offered her Game 6, but because she insists on being awesome in every quantifiable way, she would only do the if-necessary Game 7 -- she had a prior commitment in New York on Tuesday to teach music to middle-school kids, and she said that if she had been 13 years old and someone (relatively) famous had canceled on her, she would have cried, and she couldn't do that to her kids. This is a lifelong Royals fan here, who can name every player of the 1985 team. What a heroine.   

So, in order, I got to see the concert, I got to miss every single moment of the Game 6 ass-kicking, I got Joyce DiDonato (who rocked it, although I'm not loving the current 'do), and I got to see a Giants win (again). Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

Best postseason in many a moon, in my opinion. Congratulations to every team who made it so compelling, from the wild-card aspirants onward, but to the Giants above all.  

And now, my television viewing habits being what they are, I'll quite possibly never have to hear that Chevy song again.

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Love 3

I actually think this Game 7 will take on Jack Morris-like mythic dimensions as years go by. I mean, a starter coming in to throw five innings of shutout ball three days after a 117-pitch shutout? Who does that? I was on pins and needles in the later innings, and thanking God I do not have Bruce Bochy's job, because 85 percent of those people calling him a genius all postseason would have turned on him like a pack of hungry jackals if it had gone wrong either way -- "How could he leave Madison Bumgarner in that long?"/"How could he take Madison Bumgarner out when he was cruising, and entrust the series to [Lincecum/Romo/Casilla/et al.]?"  

And of course the Giants could not give MB any cushion at all to that lead, going quiet again against the Royals bullpen, because it's the Giants. That "t" word again.  

To me, an anticlimactic Game 7 would have been something like the last game of the 2013 series, when the Red Sox just feasted on Wacha and there was never any doubt after about midway through the fourth.  

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Love 2

(2) Joyce DiDonato singing the National Anthem. I think they offered her Game 6, but because she insists on being awesome in every quantifiable way, she would only do the if-necessary Game 7 -- she had a prior commitment in New York on Tuesday to teach music to middle-school kids, and she said that if she had been 13 years old and someone (relatively) famous had canceled on her, she would have cried, and she couldn't do that to her kids. This is a lifelong Royals fan here, who can name every player of the 1985 team. What a heroine.   

Thank you for the name of the singer.  I was in another room when the National Anthem aired so I missed hearing or seeing Joyce's name but was blown away by her beautiful voice.

Congratulations to the Giants and their fans.  I was rooting for KC but it's hard to be unhappy when the Series was so exciting and compelling in general as when it all boils down I just really love good baseball no matter who is involved.

• Love 3

I felt bad for KC and their fans having to watch the Giants celebrate the win on their (KC's) home turf.

Bumgarner was a beast. Knew very little about him before the playoffs, but he has earned all the plaudits he'll be getting in the next few days.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

Something really nice written by Joyce DiDonato (not about baseball, but it's a good snapshot of the person behind the voice). I'm wild about her, and so glad she got to have her moment. Not sad that the Royals lost afterward, because hey, I'm a fan, I can be selfish, and she's taking it in stride and wrote a nice Tweet about how proud of the 2014 team she is. Anyway, here's her pro-LGBT-rights piece. Her blog in general is a wonderful read.

http://joycedidonato.com/2013/09/05/5820/

• Love 1

dammit if I'm not digging Nick Swisher and all of his hyper energy.  Who knew?

Me. I knew. I miss my Nicky. (God help me, I even miss the unctuous Sterling's call of "Swishalicious!" ) I know many people find his enthusiasm grating, but he's always struck me as genuine and adorable.

Me. I knew. I miss my Nicky. (God help me, I even miss the unctuous Sterling's call of "Swishalicious!" ) I know many people find his enthusiasm grating, but he's always struck me as genuine and adorable.

I loved Nick when he was the Yankees and his (and many others) departure from the team has bummed me out quite a bit the past few years. So glad to see him this series and he's really good at it too! A little over the top at times but that's Nicky.

I loved the KC fans staying after the game was over, chanting, "Thank you Royals".

Oscar Taveras was buried in the Dominican Republic on Tuesday.  Among the Cardinals present:  Matt Carpenter, Carlos Martinez, Mike Matheny, and GM John Mozeliak.  Thousands lined the streets, reaching out to touch the casket as it passed.  Oscar had attained the dream of playing in MLB.

Mike Matheny's statement:

In my opinion, 'love' is the most misused, and misunderstood word in the English language. It is not popular for men to use this word, and even less popular for athletes. But, there is not a more accurate word for how a group of men share a deep and genuine concern for each other. We loved Oscar, and he loved us. That is what a team does, that is what a family does. You will be missed, Oscar.

I haven't been this sad as a Cardinals fan, since Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile died suddenly, in my hometown of Chicago in 2002.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 1
(edited)

I always liked Mike.

ETA:  Isn't Joe Maddon supposed to be introduced as Cubs manager today?  I like Joe as much as anyone, but I have to believe there's a lot of PO'ed fans in Tampa right now.

Edited by smittykins

The Twins allegedly hired Paul Molitor to be their next manager. Shouldn't he coach for the Brewers? Traitor.

On a unrelated note, everything that I have read in the last couple of days says that "Brothers in Exile" is a powerful story and one of the better 30 for 30's. Since one of those brothers is El Duque obvs I will be watching. It's on tomorrow at 9 EST (or EDT, whichever it's called from now to March).

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

CBS Sports reported that Maddon gave the Rays a shot to resign him after he opted out at a rate less than what he eventually signed for with the Cubs. And the Rays said no.

Rays ownership let a contract bump similar to the cost of a middle reliever get in the way of keeping Maddon? That's insane. And for Rays fans it must be incredibly depressing.

CBS Sports reported that Maddon gave the Rays a shot to resign him after he opted out at a rate less than what he eventually signed for with the Cubs. And the Rays said no.

Rays ownership let a contract bump similar to the cost of a middle reliever get in the way of keeping Maddon? That's insane. And for Rays fans it must be incredibly depressing.

I'm a secondary Rays fan (they're the closest team to me geographically and I get their games on TV) and yes, it's upsetting.  At first my anger was directed toward Maddon thinking he pulled a fast one but now that the true story is coming out I can't believe how inept the Rays organization is.  Now I can say good for Maddon.

ETA:  I just read that Joe Maddon owns a Winnebago he's nicknamed 'Cousin Eddie.'  Awesome.

The other strange thing about letting Maddon go is that ownership torched a lot of the good will they will need in their never ending quest to get the people of the area to pay for a new stadium.

It really doesn't make sense.

Edited by xaxat

Wow, what a shock. [/sarcasm]

Remember the 2004 game against the Red Sox in '04 when Jeter dove into the stands to catch the fly ball by Trot Nixon and banged his face up?  The Yankees' starting pitcher in that game, Brad Halsey, has died, reportedly in a recreational climbing accident near his home in Texas.  He was just 33. :(

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/article/100571592/former-big-league-lefty-brad-halsey-dies-at-33

Aww, that's a shame about Halsey. He always looked so young on the mound, my mother and I took to calling him The Paperboy.  

Congrats to the woebegone Metsies, who at least got themselves a Rookie of the Year in De Grom. And to the White Sox's Jose Abreu on the AL side.

Kershaw and Trout for MVP. The latter is a no duh, but I can already hear the clamor about giving a pitcher the MVP. It of course is within the letter of the law, but I can understand why some people think it violates the law's spirit.  (Me, I think Mariano Rivera should've won it for like 5 years running...)

• Love 1

I can't verify if this is true, but one of the shows said that Kershaw faced more batters over the season that Stanton and McCutcheon had plate appearances.

Now, they both missed time due to injuries but so did Kershaw. I don't have an issue because he WAS the most valuable.

My issue is ESPN making sure to announce that for the first time ever (EVER) no Yankee or Red Sox (Sock?) got even one vote.

Um, let's see. The Sox were terrible and the Yankees had a revolving door of players. I think what they really wanted to express is that Jeter didn't get a vote but they didn't want to be total homers. Yes, it may be historic but it would only be surprising to people who have never heard of baseball.

• Love 3

A pitcher who was a reliever in Boston in the 90's, Greg Harris, was known to be able to switch pitch. He had a special reversible glove. He only pitched lefty once, in 1995 while with the Expos, according to wikipedia. He walked one and got one out lefty before going back to righty.

• Love 2

Hanley Ramirez AND Pablo Sandoval?  Man, I just wish Middlebrooks had been at least MLB capable because I hate these mega-rich deals. I'm not down on the players -- I mean good for them. But I wondered "WTF" about Carl Crawford and I'm in the same boat with these signings as well.

A pitcher who was a reliever in Boston in the 90's, Greg Harris, was known to be able to switch pitch. He had a special reversible glove. He only pitched lefty once, in 1995 while with the Expos, according to wikipedia. He walked one and got one out lefty before going back to righty.

When he was with the Phillies apparently a coach was explaining to Dykstra that Harris was ambidextrous only to have Lenny go over to Harris and ask him how he was able to breathe underwater.......

• Love 1

Am I a bad fan if I don't recall who Cory Kluber is?

Corey pitches for the Indians and is Awesome! Even more awesome, he said he was going to celebrate by getting his daughter ready for bed and reading her a bedtime story. Sure enough, the picture that evening showed him at home with daughter holding balloons. The smile he gave her is the most emotion we have ever seen from him; usually he looks like you should check for a pulse. Nothing phases him. We love him here in Cleveland!