Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Lord Clayton will get you tom87! 

4 games, lots of ups and downs.  Ya gotta love this.

Maybe next time but not today. :)

Nothing against him, great pitcher. Just you know the announcers go overboard with some players and tend to forget there are other people on the field.    I mean it was like pulling teeth to have Harold Reynolds just accept the Cards got the best of him this time.

Once again I missed the finish of the KC game but damn if there isn't something magical about to take place. Perhaps instead of an actual person my post season baseball boyfriend will be the color royal blue.

Proud of myself for not checking baseball scores during Kol Nidre last night. It was tough but I survived.

Edited to add:  Apparently KC's Salvador Perez and Lorenzo Cain are close buddies, "brothers from another mother."  These short videos taken by Perez cracked me up.  http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article2481205.html

Oh, and damn Lorenzo Cain is good looking.

• Love 2

I am pleased but pretty astounded that the Royals took both games in Anaheim. In particular, I've been impressed by how well their pitchers have handled Mike Trout. We'll see if the Royals can sustain this, but the K will surely be rocking on Sunday. And following Sung-Woo Lee on Twitter (their Korean superfan) has been entertaining. 

Random aside:  I haven't watched the Angels much this year before now, and I was admiring Angel Stadium's landscaping.  "Hey," I thought to myself.  "Those rocks with the waterfalls look like something out of a Disney log flume ride."  And then I look it up and realize that Disney Imagineering actually DID the renovation for the stadium, so there's a reason for the resemblance!

Yes, the rocks in the outfield is one of my favorite parts of Angel Stadium! Also, prior to going there myself for the first time this summer, I always thought that the Jack in the Box sign was simply an advertisement but no, there's an ACTUAL Jack in the Box out there! 

Edited by rippleintime17

How in the hell have I never really heard of Anthony Rendon before tonight???

If you lived here in the Capital of The Free World , you'd hear a lot about him.  He's really been nothing short of fabulous since his debut last year.  And he's made the return of the Face of the Franchise - Ryan Zimmerman - a bit problematic.  

I am flummoxed at Matt Williams' decision to take Jordan Zimmermann out.  I think he outsmarted himself there.

• Love 1

After a TERRIBLE strike call against Asdrubal Cabrera the camera was on Williams and he said "that was fucking high" and it was clearly heard on TV. Love live moments! And incidentally, that was basically the same thing I said in my living room.

• Love 1

I can't believe Mattingly left Kershaw in that long. I mean, five out of six singles went to the exact same spot. It was clear Kershaw lost it, and look what happened. What a bummer. I don't want to live in a world where the Cardinals make the NLCS again. Both home teams I was rooting for lost boooooo.

Mattingly said he spoke to Kershaw, and Kershaw assured him that he was fine.  Doesn't every pitcher who's lost his stuff say they're fine?  He also denied Harold Reynolds' suggestion that the Cards were stealing signs from second base.  I'm a Cardinals fan, so I loved every pitch (and every hit) of it.

• Love 1

Rick I know the tracker did show that, but that one pitch that was strike two looked way high to me, Williams, Cabrera and all the totally neutral not at all biased fans at the park.

And boooo on Belt hitting that homer since he should have been out, I mean even Smoltz thought that one ball was a strike.

Come on Nats, you have at least another run in there, don't you? I mean, you've played two games tonight.

Having the camera guys running alongside the baserunners could make for an interesting viewpoint...except that they keep getting the cameramen in the picture when another camera takes the shot.  Blech.

Right?!? Especially when Panda was coming up, you leave in your second ace for cod's sack.

I was listening to ESPN radio for a few minutes and the broadcaster was like "this is the best game Zimmerman has pitched all week, and he threw a no-hitter on Sunday!"

I wish I knew what Williams and Cabrera chatted about during the looooong time they had together in whatever room they are shuffled off to after getting ejected.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

When Cabrera first came up I heard someone poke fun at his first name and call him 'Ass dribble' and while I'm not proud of myself I still hear that in my head when his name is mentioned.

That's right up there with Albert Poo Holes.

• Love 2

I am flummoxed at Matt Williams' decision to take Jordan Zimmermann out.  I think he outsmarted himself there.

As questionable as that decision as was, I'm even more flabbergasted that Vasersian and Smoltz never really mentioned the idea that it may not have been the right move. I heard more about it from Ken Rosenthal in the first five minutes after turning on the Dodgers/Cardinals game than I did while watching the final 9 innings in Washington.

While driving home last night (I was about an hour away) I tuned into the game on AM radio and heard both of Cain's amazing catches.  Thanks to Boog Sciambi and Chris Singleton of ESPN radio for painting enough of a picture for me to "see" the plays.

I'm going with the Royals due to their long playoff drought.  At first, I didn't know who to pick in the Detroit-Baltimore series, being a Yankees fan, but I figured that it wasn't the O's fault that the Yanks sucked this year, and it was a more mature response than "My team didn't make it, so I don't care--WAAAAAHH! ;)

Matt Williams is doing what he can to make sure the Nats don't make it. I am still angry with him for Saturday. Only good thing to come out of it were the jokes about the length of the game on Twitter ("when this game started, Jayson Werth was clean-shaven", etc.).

• Love 2

I don't agree about Williams. If Storen hadn't given up a hit, there would have been little question about his move. He's a first-year manager and it's possible his inexperience of managing in the postseason did get in his way but I can't entirely blame him for the move (and I'm saying that as objectively as possible). Bruce Bochy's forte is the postseason. That he brought in his closer in the 11th to get the heart of the Nats order says a lot about him and how he manages his bullpen. He was also damn lucky to have Yusmeiro Petit.

Can't say I am sorry to see the Angles go.

Interesting we have 2 east coast teams, two mid west teams and 2 west coast teams still in the race.   I here for kicking out the west coast teams.

So I'm cleaning out the DVR and watched "Derek Jeter: Salute 2 the Captain" so clearly it's going to be a while before I'm over it. Until next year when number 13 takes his place at shortstop bwahahaha.

Also, I was thinking during some of the highlights that they were playing during the Jeter show that I'm kind of going to miss ol' Tim McCarver.

Apparently, I have lost my marbles.

• Love 3

I'm kind of going to miss ol' Tim McCarver.

Egads!

And dammit- just as I was writing this, Wong hit one out. StL 3-1 up on the Dodgers. My dislike of the Cardinals > my indifference to the Dodgers. Go Blue!

Also, I was thinking during some of the highlights that they were playing during the Jeter show that I'm kind of going to miss ol' Tim McCarver.

urg he is still doing about 30 or so Cardinal games each year.

Speaking of the Cardinals.

Got to be impressed with Matt Carpenter  . 500 BA, 3 doubles, 3 HRs in 3 games.

• Love 1

Yes you have but we still love you.

They even mentioned Jeter tonight during the Nats-Giants game:  "Madison Bumgarner has hit more grand slams this season than Derek Jeter has in his 20-year career."

I wasn't sure if I heard that correctly.  Color me surprised.

• Love 1

I am going to come out of grief counseling and defend Jeter's measly GS stats. He only hit one grand slam in his career, but his BA/OBP/OPS with bases loaded were .321/.383/.772. I remember once hearing Reggie Jackson talk about that very thing, and he had nothing but praise for Jeter sticking with his strengths in those situations, not to swing for the fences, but to get hits.

Might it happen that we get an All Birds WS? Ornithologists everywhere will wet their pants in excitement!

• Love 2

I love Madison and his ability to rake. Dude can really run into one and he's actually stayed in to bat for himself in situations where a pitcher would normally be pinch hit for because he really can get stuff done. I do wish he had just gotten a single with the bases juiced yesterday though. 

I would prefer the Giants not have to go back to Washington. The hitting in this series has been light for both teams so it's really a matter of who can get it done first and hold it. Bring it tonight, Vogey!

• Love 1

I know I'm biased because I like them but this Giants team is a lot of things and boring is not one of them. Part of why I became as invested in the Giants as I have over time is because they are just so much fun to root for and have such a great cast of characters. I didn't really pay attention to NL ball until 2010 when the Giants were all of a sudden on national TV and I fell hard. I know it's boring that two teams that have been there a lot in the past few years are there again but the current makeup of these two teams, their current abilities and the current struggles both teams have are going to make this a crazy series, I think. It's going to be fun to watch. I'm excited.

• Love 1