Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Nothing says Spring Training like Pink Eye. I can't believe the Brewers have to ban high fives and touching each other's stuff because they are still passing it around to each other.

• Love 4

Good thing your link is blocked by my company firewall so I can't potentially cry until I get home from work!!

ETA:  Oh hot damn, he still looks good.  And the cut was done for charity so extra bonus points for Cutch!

Edited by MyAimIsTrue
  • Love 1

I'm a big fan of chicken and waffles, and mashed potatoes, and mustard - but honestly that looks pretty vile.  This is coming from someone who has (more than once! sheesh!) eaten a Gabila's Knish at Shea Stadium (I haven't had one since they opened CitiField - although I have many criticisms of CitiField one BIG improvement is that there are many superior food options even in the cheaper seats).  It's the chicken - it looks dry, overbreaded, and overcooked.  Much like a Gabila's Knish, in fact.

That Phillies opening day lineup is just, wow, at least the stadium's nice.

There are worse things than drowning your sorrows in Chickie's & Pete's crab fries and Tony Luke's cheesesteaks.

Worse things such as wondering why your team traded away the best closer in the game last night?  I guess management expects the Braves to be pretty shitty this year and with little to no chance of using Craig Kimbrell.  Or maybe including Kimbrell was the only way they could unload BJ/Melvin Upton?

(edited)

That Phillies opening day lineup is just, wow, at least the stadium's nice.

There are worse things than drowning your sorrows in Chickie's & Pete's crab fries and Tony Luke's cheesesteaks.

You never know people didn't think the '93 Phillies would do anything. I doubt it (thanks Ruben Amaro) but I can be optimistic today. That's what I love most about opening day, baseball is back and anything can happen.

Or Phillies pitching could give up 4 Home Runs and Grand Slam.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2

Really not liking ESPN's strike zone for every pitch.

Some of the stuff networks have done with on screen graphics (score boxes, first down markers) has worked out really well, but I hope this one goes the way of the glowing puck.

• Love 4

They're 1-1, not too terrible.  The A's game last night was pathetic.

It's more that they're dropping like flies already! The offense actually looked pretty good last night, if they can keep that up, things might be alright even with the pitching falling apart.

I have tickets to the 45 degree and raining Phillies/Sox Masterson vs Buchanan duel.  Should be a delight.

You know it's the first week because I'm not even being ironic about the delight part.

• Love 1

I take it that isn't Bat Masterson vs. President James Buchanan, but otherwise I can't think of who those pitchers are.

Justin and David but the end result might not be that different.......

• Love 1

This week has been brutal for me. First, I stay up late East Coast time to watch a Dodgers game, because Vin Scully is awesome. Then, I stay up late to listen to my Bucs play after a two and half hour rain delay. And finally, I watched a good chunk of the nineteen inning Sox/Yankees game. 

I need some sleep.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

I think it would be more correct to say that the Angels don't want Josh Hamilton under the huge contract that they willingly signed him to despite knowing his previous problems with drug/alcohol abuse. 

• Love 6

Yes, the Red Sox and Mr Clay Buchholz looked bad last night, and with 7-0 after the first, I didn't hang too long, gave up in the 3rd inning.

But, the Kruk- Olney dynamic is just off as commentators. Did anyone else think they were having a stare-down off camera? It didn't sound like a cohesive fit in the booth. Or was it just me?

Do you mean Kruk/Schilling? 

I think this season Kruk has seemed crankier than his usual cranky self. Maybe it's the pain meds he's taking for whatever he did to his arm.

The Didi Gregorious honeymoon sure didn't last very long.

Edited by xaxat

I thought Kruk/schilling was very uncomfortable. Maybe Kruk is crankier because Schilling is an ass. There seems to be tension between some of the guys from the 93 Phillies team. Lenny Dykstra and Mitch Williams got in a fight at a event last year.

I am watching the Phillies game and they have been showing clips of Harry Kalas in between innings. Today has been 6 years since he passed away and it's been nice to hear his voice. I am happy that he got to call a world series win for the Phils the season before. I loved that during the coverage Fox played the final out with the radio broadcast of Harry calling the final out.

Schilling is definitely an ass.

I loved Harry Kalas' voice.  LOVED it.  His son Todd is the field reporter for the Rays and sometimes fills in behind the mic and while I normally scream "nepotism sucks!!" at situations like this (or maybe it's just at Chip Caray) I actually think Todd does a great job. 

Looks like the Nats aren't going to go 162-0 this year.

They're a good team, but the pre-season hype was almost at "best team evah!" levels. I even heard someone on ESPN radio speculate that they might duplicate the 71 Orioles feat of four twenty game winners. 

As a Pirates fan that spent two decades wandering through the valley of futility, it is so weird to cheer for a team that has legitimate expectations for success.

Do you mean Kruk/Schilling? 

Oh yeah, Schilling. My bad. It's on me Buster!

I don't know if ESPN likes the oil vs water-ness of the matchup, but yeah, it was not fun to listen to them.

And what I will remember a bit since the Giants are odd yearing it up right now.

I'm glad the Red Sox are "odd yearing it up"™ - at least so far.

Looks like the Nats aren't going to go 162-0 this year.

They're a good team, but the pre-season hype was almost at "best team evah!" levels. I even heard someone on ESPN radio speculate that they might duplicate the 71 Orioles feat of four twenty game winners.

The Nats have one win so far, right?  I became a mental fan of the team about six years ago when I thought I would be moving to DC but I agree that the pre-season hype was too much.  No team can live up to such expectations (except for maybe the '27 Yankees) and it really can only lead to disappointment.