Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I know the voting was done before the post-season, but I wonder if there's any chance of Joe Panik being National League Rookie of the Year.

I think he'll get votes but I doubt he'd win over Jacob deGrom. If his season with the Giants had started a little earlier, he might've had a better shot. 

Madison Bumgarner is flat out dominant and there is no other way to put it. I think the Royals will stand a better chance against the other Giants starters. This series is far from over.

• Love 1

I haven't been watching- just tuned in.  Advice: Do. Not. Listen. to Harold Reynolds.  For your own sanity. It's like a different but similar Joe Morgan.

Eeek, you dared lump my beloved Harold Reynolds in with the craptactular Joe Morgan???!!

There are probably only a select few people who this is interesting to, but I am LOVING having Mark Texeira on for three hours on Mike & Mike. I like him anyways but he is funny and charming and works well off Golic.

He was very diplomatic about A-Rod too. And I say hey, if Mariano Rivera believes in A-Rod, that's enough for me.

Eeek, you dared lump my beloved Harold Reynolds in with the craptactular Joe Morgan???!!

I love Harold.  He's pretty, and I like his voice.  He won me over when a young player drew a walk, which forced a run home to win the game.  The player was so enthusiastic.  Harold was laughing - "Look at him.  He's running like he hit that ball two hundred feet.  Like he just got a home run.  Whoo!"

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 1

My cold, cynical heart just wishes they'd get on with the game and not interrupt it with non-baseball related stuff like the stand up to cancer stuff.  Go to commercial, do this cancer thing, go to commercial.  No wonder games are so long.

• Love 2

I didn't mind the SU2C cancer interlude especially seeing all the love for Tony Gwynn but I agree that it is ridiculous it was bookended by commercials.

However, did anyone see the "Thank You" commercial? So much love for it especially the end because, well, you know who was saying goodbye and I would have been so irritated if it ended any other way.

My cold, cynical heart just wishes they'd get on with the game and not interrupt it with non-baseball related stuff like the stand up to cancer stuff.  Go to commercial, do this cancer thing, go to commercial.  No wonder games are so long.

Maybe un American of me but  America the Beautiful  is so unnecessary. (oops I meant God bless America)

Edited by tom87

Maybe un American of me but  America the Beautiful is so unnecessary.

It's definitely un-American of me how much I despise "G-d Bless America." 

Sad about Joe Maddon leaving the Rays but he says he wants to explore other options outside of baseball so I can't fault him for that. 

The dumbass morning DJ I'm forced to listen to during the week (because radio in this town sucks but I like the music they play) talked non-stop each morning about how boring the World Series is and how no one is watching.  He said the same thing a few years back so I called in to shut him up.

• Love 2

Unfortunately game one hit record low ratings. I'm not sure about the next two.

Isn't there a way I could guarantee SF takes one more but only one more so KC can win at home? If they are going to win, I want it to be at the Big K SO BAD.

• Love 2

KC is going nuts over this series.  If is really magical here and they guys on the team (and their families) are doing everything right OFF the field as well.  

And - side note - son of shipmate was in the montage of the little league players at the beginning of game 1 pregame show.  1.2 seconds of glory!

• Love 6

Well, like every sports writer in America, I am wondering if the Royals can get their momentum back. If they'd won this game, they could have afforded to treat their next game against MadBum with a little more nonchalance.  I don't think Big Game James vs MadBum is really a fair fight right now.

I'd love to be wrong, though.

That game was so entertaining! The back and forth made it exciting for awhile and then boom, offensive explosion! 

That's what one of my old college friends who is a diehard Red Sox fan said after the game tonight.  She really enjoyed the game because it was very entertaining. 

It's too bad that the most exciting innings were occurring at the same time as the 4th quarter of the LSU-Ole Miss football game because that probably reduced the baseball ratings.

Maybe un American of me but  America the Beautiful  is so unnecessary. (oops I meant God bless America)

If memory serves, that tradition was started post 9/11, so I tolerate it.  I think baseball thrives on tradition, but I don't like the insinuation that God really cares who wins a baseball game, or prefers Americans over every one else in the world.

• Love 4

I'm heartbroken to hear about the death of the Cardinals' Oscar Taveras.  He handled well the disappointment of sitting on the bench, when he was supposed to be the next break out star.  He stayed positive and enthusiastic, and was much too young to die at 22.  His family in the Dominican Republic has lost not only him, but what financial assistance he may have provided them.  RIP.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 1
(edited)

IMHO, as RedheadZombie stated above,

I don't like the insinuation that God really cares who wins a baseball game, or prefers Americans over every one else in the world.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 3

If memory serves, that tradition was started post 9/11, so I tolerate it.  I think baseball thrives on tradition, but I don't like the insinuation that God really cares who wins a baseball game, or prefers Americans over every one else in the world.

Yes it started with 9/11 and the rest of that season would have been find or even every 9/11. 

The Seventh Inning Stretch always has a song, so why is God Bless America any worse than Take Me Out to the Ballgame?

I do not think they usually televise take me out to the ball game in most markets.      Why should God Bless American than take the place of Take me out to the ball game?  

It just seems redundant since the National anthem is sung  for  America  (or Canada) .

I'm heartbroken to hear about the death of the Cardinals' Oscar Taveras.  He handled well the disappointment of sitting on the bench, when he was supposed to be the next break out star.  He stayed positive and enthusiastic, and was much too young to die at 22.  His family in the Dominican Republic has lost not only him, but what financial assistance he may have provided them.  RIP.

So sad.      I was wondering if the club might not give him a bigger slice of the post season money to help his family  and his girlfriend's family.

I feel like Jessie Spano...I'm so excited! I'm so...scared.

Tonight could really go either way, I know which way I want it to go so very much but regardless I'll be there to the bitter end.

I feel like next year could be the Cubs year!

Edited by mojoween

Joe Maddon has been hired to manage the Cubs.

As my friend Hector would say, holly crappen sheet!  Nothing against the Cubs but why leave a pretty good thing for, well, 106 years of heartache?

I'm watching the game seven pre-game show and dammit if I'm not digging Nick Swisher and all of his hyper energy.  Who knew? 

I think Aim is probably going to rap me on the nose for this, but I love love LOVE that the pitching decisions are going to be all about how they are throwing and nothing to do with their part in the batting order. Also, I'm glad for KC that Billy Butler can play a part in this.

Edited by mojoween

As my friend Hector would say, holly crappen sheet!  Nothing against the Cubs but why leave a pretty good thing for, well, 106 years of heartache?

The Cubs have a good amount of young talent, Theo Epstein and if Maddon wins there he will achieve Ditka levels of adoration.

As a Pirates fan, I can't say I'm happy to see him join the division.

Edited by xaxat

I think Aim is probably going to rap me on the nose for this, but I love love LOVE that the pitching decisions are going to be all about how they are throwing and nothing to do with their part in the batting order.

In game seven of a WS all rules as I like them are thrown out the window.  Now it's all about whatever it takes to win!

• Love 2

Madison Bumgarner has been absolutely, without a doubt beyond expectation fantastic this postseason. We really saw something extremely special happen here and I'm just so excited about it. He's 25 years old and the best pitcher the World Series has ever seen. That is absolutely incredible.

• Love 4