Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

A twopper I knew was doing her own "baseball stadium bucket list", I think she had hit more than half before I lost track of her. There is a site that helps arrange various trips each year to major league stadiums, with tours, some good seats, hotels and I guess potential meet-ups with players. Not sure if any of you have done a trip like this.  My only issue is if I ever got the time to travel about and hit stadiums, I'd also want to stop and see some minor league ball too.

YES is replaying The Captain's last Yankee Stadium game. Lessee...it's 7 degrees out, 20 mile an hour winds blowing, about six inches of snow has fallen since five...what better thing is there for me to do tonight than watch this game?

I'm good so far, but I feel like the ninjas will start chopping onions in about two more innings.

With a second blizzard of the season bearing down on us, it's comforting to know that The Truck is on its way from Fenway to Fort Myers.

We visited Kauffman Stadium in 1999, before the second renovation. At the time, we felt that it almost had a minor league feel to it; the mascot was running around between innings, and they had players doing autographs before the game at least one day a week. We happened to be there on Negro League day, and they had a bunch of those players there to sign, plus they have away replica Monarchs hats. And then I went down the steps from where we were sitting and met and got an autograph from Buck O' Neil!

• Love 6

And then I went down the steps from where we were sitting and met and got an autograph from Buck O' Neil!

For that I am insanely jealous!!  I'm also still incredibly pissed off that Buck never made it into the HoF as he so rightly deserved.

What a treasure he was.

• Love 3

I like Andy Pettitte as a player, and he seems like a genial enough guy, but I don't know if his number should be retired. Did he really do enough to earn that honor?

I mean, yes, I know his playoff win record, but when I think of pantheon of Yankees, his name isn't one of the first to come up. Plus, he's an admitted PED user. I guess it keeps guys out of the Hall, but the Yankees are ok with it.

• Love 2

Really?  I can't believe they're retiring all those numbers. I am editing myself here - I wrote "pretty pathetic"  but I don't know. I mean, by what standard are these players held to?  They did win a number of championships. Posada and Williams were life-time Yankees (which is part of the condition for number retirement for the Red Sox) 

But I guess, as a young Yankees player, the management restricts them further by this, and why add on to the pile these players? I'm with Brandon McCarthy on this one...  https://twitter.com/bmccarthy32/status/486586236073967616

Continuing on the tour of Yankees classics, today they are showing Jim Abbot's no-hitter, which is awesome. LOVE seeing Donny Baseball at first base. And of course Bernie, duh.

It's funny to watch it, considering how spoiled we are now, because there is no on-screen scoreboard. I can't function without knowing the count, pitch count, ballspeed, etc etc. I mean, I actually have to PAY ATTENTION.

• Love 5

Re Yoan, he's 19 and basically a  prospect, albeit a super talented one. And he is going to be in the minors until he is ready for MLB. We will see. The Sox could even use him as trade bait a few years down the road. I know some folks think the NYY are a bottomless pit of money, and that's pretty much true. But it doesn't mean they have to break the bank on every can't miss guy available.They have invested $200 M plus on this team. Let's see what happens.

A Rod shows up today in FL. I for one, am looking forward to see how he does. I'm tired of the hoopla, even though I know it will be in full swing all season. Let's just play and see if the guys can stay healthy. These days anything can happen. Who gave KC a chance this time last season? Not many. 

Re the retiring numbers, I am biased....I love those guys more than I ever loved Jeter. Retiring the numbers seems like a stretch. I like the plaque idea and I even think that they could have "unofficially" retired the numbers. Just don't give them to anybody for about 5-10 years.

Jeter's number is a no brainer. The other 3 are guys that warmed my heart since their debuts and just swoon over what they meant to the team.  I still miss Jorge's fiery, stubborn nature.

This year is going to be interesting but man I can't wait till we can rid ourselves from Texeira and Beltran. Don't hate them and hope they do well because they are very much needed, but we need to move on.     

Sorry about Pawtucket, King of Birds. Have they always been at Pawtucket? 

Edited by prican58

Ugh, Hamilton. I knew signing him was gonna be one of the biggest bonehead moves ever. I blame Moreno for it more-so than Dipoto.

If only the team could get rid of him somehow. He's a freaking albatross!

Edited by Gumdrops

I was already predisposed to hate Curt Schilling for reasons, but after what happened with Keith Law, there is no way in hell that I'm going to be on Schilling's side about what happened to him this weekend.

Were the things said about his daughter vile? Sure. Does that shit happen to every celebrity every day on Twitter? Umm. Yes. He looks like the asshole for engaging the trolls, because they get exactly what they want.

And I'm not going to forgive him about the Law issue. I won't. I have no respect for the man. His daughter is probably a lovely girl so I feel badly if her feelings were hurt because she didn't ask for any of this, but fuck Schilling. He can boo-hoo all over the radio and I'm not going to feel one bit sorry for him.

I don't know. I don't like Schilling either but I can understand him defending his underage daughter. I hate that people think they can say whatever they want ,no matter how heinous, without any consequences just because they are online. So that fact that they were called out,even if said person is a ass,doesn't really bother me.

• Love 2

I can understand protecting your kid, because I can be a mama bear when I need to be. But the hypocrisy of it all is what makes me mad.

Like Mike Greenberg, who says that Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III should NEVER engage in the Twitter trolls, but says that Schilling was perfectly in the right for what he did.

Or Keith Law, getting suspended for saying that evolution is based in science, but it's perfectly ok for Schilling to say he's going to drive to New Jersey and kill someone.

This nonsense has been going on since Al Gore invented the interwebs. I mean, I've seen so much worse, so why now, is it "cyberbullying?"

• Love 1

Brian Cashman says that Jeter should be the last NYY Captain ever.  Really, Cash?  I do think DJ was a tremendous Captain and certainly it will be a long time before we see another like him.

But who knows who is coming down the road in 20+ years or more? It was several generations between DJ and Thurman ( I still cry when I think about losing him.) but I'm sure it could happen. Even if they do close it down, the future GM/owners can always reverse it.

Let it go, Cash.       

Oh wow, the Rangers are off to another terrible injury-riddled season.  Poor Yu.

I was going to refrain from commentary on the Yankee captain thing, but it seems right in line that Cashman would make some grandiose statement that will need to be retracted in the future. Every team needs leaders and putting the "C" on someone just doesn't stand for "Capt'n Intangibles." It just means someone will be the leader of the team. If the Yankees don't want to groom or have players like that-- so be it. I'll be thrilled as a Red Sox fan to see that team flounder.

• Love 1

Going to my first spring game of the season at Disney this Tuesday, Mets vs. Braves.   My 50th birthday is Wednesday and the original game plan was to go that day but the Cardinals are playing the Braves and ticket prices were ridiculously expensive, and apparently the Mets are considered low rent because ticket prices for Tuesday were fairly cheap!

• Love 2

I was going to refrain from commentary on the Yankee captain thing, but it seems right in line that Cashman would make some grandiose statement that will need to be retracted in the future

As per the usual.  I hate the Yankees so I always feel plenty of schadenfreude over Cashman's dumbass moves.

apparently the Mets are considered low rent

What do you mean "apparently?"  Oh, my poor little fucked-up team.

• Love 5

Going to my first spring game of the season at Disney this Tuesday, Mets vs. Braves.   My 50th birthday is Wednesday and the original game plan was to go that day but the Cardinals are playing the Braves and ticket prices were ridiculously expensive, and apparently the Mets are considered low rent because ticket prices for Tuesday were fairly cheap!

My fiftieth is Friday! Happy Birthday!

• Love 3

My fiftieth is Friday! Happy Birthday!

Welcome to the Half Century Club...we had jackets made!

• Love 1

Buncha old fogeys here.  Turn up your hearing aid. Catch yourself saying "Back in my day..." 

Get off our lawns!

(PS I dread hitting 5-0. Doesn't the AARP send out a birthday card to you when you turn five decades old?)

• Love 1

(PS I dread hitting 5-0. Doesn't the AARP send out a birthday card to you when you turn five decades old?)

I received an AARP application in the mail a couple of weeks ago.  That didn't bother me at all, but what did was the fact it was addressed to my formerly married name and I've been divorced for and haven't used that name in 10 years!

• Love 1

I'm "only" 41 so I hope I'm ok to join this party!

Hideki Matsui was named a Special Counsel to the Yankees and for some reason this means we need to drag out the "is he a HOF player?" argument. I don't know why we do this for nearly every player (I mean, I saw it five minutes ago in a tweet about the press conference for retired San Francisco 49er Patrick Willis, and the answer to that is NO) but it seems to be the fun game to play.

So. Matsui. HOF or nah?

Had a great time at the spring game yesterday.  Bartolo Colon started for the Mets (I was hoping to see deGrom and his hair) and I could only identify one player for the Braves, Freddie Freeman, until Craig Kimbrel came in for the save.  I just don't recognize their lineup anymore.

• Love 3

So. Matsui. HOF or nah?

Nope.  And I'm just counting the MLB years.

I just don't recognize their lineup anymore.

Braves and Padres are the two teams that win the "least recognizable" award this spring.

Edited by King of Birds

The Braves' lineup yesterday reminded me of the beginning of the movie "Major League" (with an incredulous "who??" after every name mentioned) and I half expected Pedro Cerrano or Willie Mays Hays to take the field.

• Love 5

For some reason, reading about all the injuries this spring has bummed me out.

And, just when I got home, I turned on MLB network to catch Will Ferrell's "baseball day" nuttiness... to find MLB blacked out ... again, I guess for the season, because Time Warner and Directv are still pissing all over the LA area and blocking Dodger games.