Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Giants have scored 24 runs in 9 games.  Which is pretty pathetic, but there are five teams worse (including the Cardinals!), with the Twins having only scored 16 runs in 7 games.

Boston has scored the most, 56, in 9 games.

Edited by Rick Kitchen

Aww Rick now I'm disappointed. I didn't watch the video and was picturing Mookie (great name, BTW, as my cat is also named Mookie but after my favorite player of all time, Mookie Wilson) wandering over to third base while the infield just looked on.

I'm so sad my dreams were dashed.

• Love 2

It is so weird seeing those empty bleachers at Wrigley. 

ETA, I wonder how many of the boos were because people hate Scott Boras.

ETAA, Is ARod really back to his old self?

Edited by xaxat

Yankees vs Rays. 5-4 8th inning. A Rod hits 2 HR, singles an RBI.  NYY fan here, and I have never really hated or loved Alex. He just always happened to wear the uniforms of teams I have always hated. 

So he comes to NY and I am not unhappy about it. I still don't love him but I like him well enough because he's a Yankee.  So he gets suspended a year and I don't mind because he has become a distraction and maybe the club can get out from under that contract and start retooling.

All the talk during this off  season was whether or not he could turn on the fast ball, could he play 3rd with 2 new hips, will he continue to be a f...up, blah blah blah.

Well damn if the man isn't the best hitter on the team right now! I have been saying to whomever will listen that the guy was going to surprise folks. So far I have been right. It's pretty remarkable. It's a long season and he may not be like this most of the year but damn, he is impressing me. 

• Love 1

Yankee fan here too and I have the complete opposite view. I started giving him the side-eye when there were reports of him bad-mouthing Jeter. His non-existance in the playoffs (save 2009) also erked me. If you're going to make THAT kind of money he needed to perform a lot better than he did. And then we have the steroid stuff. And its not even the fact that he cheated so much as its the fact that damn he was cheating and still sucked? And more importantly all of the people he threw under the bus to try to save himself. 

I was really surprised at the reception Arod got opening day and I understand the idea that as long as he's helping the team then its all good. But im having a very hard time rooting for him and honestly I've hardly watched any games so far. Though I think it has more to do with Jeter's absense than Arod's presense.

Furious, I certainly understand your P.O.V. and it's valid. But I kind of don't even think about the stupid things he's done. I'm old enough to not be bothered by shit and I am no longer the die hard fan of baseball that I was in my life. I used to know all then players on all the teams but truly I only care about the Yanks and the Mets. I used to watch all the playoff series as a kid and was into it. Now, I don't know anyone in the NL  and I only know the AL guys because they play the Yanks

For the Mets,it's, not because I am a fan but because they are in my town and they are beginning to matter and my best friend is a season ticket holder and he gets me into games. I neither like nor loathe them. Although David Wright has deserved better than he's gotten over these past 10 years or so. 

I am actually watching more games because I am curious to see how they roll on without DJ and the other Core Four guys and David Robertson. The game has changed The Yanks were able to be so successful due to the fact that the system favored them by being able to outspend. Now every team has money and they are keeping their players longer. It's all good. Yankess just have to tread water for a couple more years till they are rid of Alex, Tex and Beltran.  

They also need a great baseball mind and assessor of talent like Gene Michael, who was the one who really started the 90's resurgence when he was in charge while George was suspended back in the day. 

Baseball is a cycle. 

• Love 1

So, Fox Sports has hired Pete Rose as an in-studio analyst. I don't know, he has never seemed very articulate or quick to me. Is this a big "get" for Fox? Or are they just hoping he will be a big story when it is decided whether or not he gets reinstated?

Or are they just hoping he will be a big story

This.  I think they just want the publicity, perhaps the "love to hate" viewership?  Either way I'm disgusted.  Like I said above he's no Shoeless Joe and doesn't deserve to be reinstated, IMHO.

ETA: Eight in a row for the Mets!

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

Is KC going to plunk Lawrie again when they play in July? He made you mad Friday, you nailed him Saturday. That should be the end of it. Thought the umps did a nice job controlling the chaos both days.

Reminds me of last year and the Manny Machado weekend. You can't retaliate day after day!

• Love 2

Went to today's Mets game. Harvey fever is real! They are on a roll but they are also dropping like flies. Two more went down to injury today (both fractures, so not quick recoveries). Hope they can keep rolling a bit longer, it was fun to be there even as someone that is pretty neutral on the Mets.

• Love 1

Why is everyone (incuding NPR's 'Morning Edition') making such a big deal about Jon Lester throwing his glove to first base when the ball got stuck in its webbing?  Plays like this have been made plenty of times before as I remember Terry Mulholland doing the same thing about 25 years ago.

• Love 4

I gotta get to Citi Field. I always mean to go, but I never find time to see the Mets. I don't need a promotion like May 2, which is (I kid you not) Jacob deGrom Garden Gnome Night. In the meantime, here are blog posts I made about my last trips to Toronto and Baltimore.

Two more things:

1. Is there a minor league baseball thread? The "Baby Bombers" don't kick off near where I live until mid-June. I need to go see them . . . and maybe the Cyclones, if I'm feeling adventurous.

2. Is it off to rank the Nationals ahead of the Mets, given that New York has the best record in the National League (I know, it's early) and the Nationals aren't even at .500?

1. Is there a minor league baseball thread? The "Baby Bombers" don't kick off near where I live until mid-June. I need to go see them . . .

I'm an avid follower of the Red Sox minor league teams, but there's already a site I visit to read/ post in. As for a general thread, I'm not sure we'd need to be that specific. This can be all of baseball, right? Hell, I posted about stadium food!

Saw a minor league article (couldn't find link) talked about how the "pace of game rules" affects the stuff like little kid fans running to change a base, mascot stuff, etc. All those events now have to be pulled off even more quickly between innings.

If any of you have been to a MILB game, especially the lower A leagues, have you ever contributed to the "pass the cap" for when a player hits a HR? The Lancaster CA park can be a wind tunnel- the ball carries. I went a few years ago and a team had 3 homers in their inning. About 9 homers in the game (final was something like 22-14) I was like "how much am I supposed to contribute?"

I used to go to Syracuse Chiefs games all the time when Toronto was their parent but haven't been since they opened their new stadium and then changed to Washington. It was crazy times when Strasburg pitched here.

I should get out there now to get a glimpse at Tony Gwynn's kid.

Some years ago I had a boyfriend who lived in Binghamton and went with him a few times to see the Binghamton Mets.  I still have a ball I caught at one of their games.  Always fun seeing the Cyclones in Coney Island but Mr Rat and I are not exactly regulars there, any more than we are at CitiField for that matter.

We have 3 O's affiliates within an hour and a half of here, and 2 more about 3ish hours away.  I don't go often, but I do go a couple times a year.  Never seen pass the cap, though.  

One of my fave baseball trips was to see the San Antonio Missions.  Their mascot is Ballapeno, a guy dressed like a pepper.  I had to have the bobblehead!

I love the Isotopes logo!  We saw the Isotopes twice when they came in to play the Sacramento River Cats.  This year the River Cats switched from the A's to being the Giants affiliate, so we won't see them any more. Not that it matters for me, because I have no interest in supporting anything Giants related.

Speaking of the A's... woof.  Rough game.

Oh! I didn't even give my Big Mc story. We were sitting at field level directly behind first base and the Columbus Clippers were in town. There was a player hanging out before the game resting against the tarp and I wanted to get an autograph but alas, my boyfriend did not have a pen (he had a scorecard, and didn't bring a pen, we aren't together any more). The player wandered off when the game started and eventually took his place in the outfield.

That player? Bernie Williams. I will regret my lack of writing implement to the day I die.

• Love 3

Some years ago I had a boyfriend who lived in Binghamton and went with him a few times to see the Binghamton Mets.  I still have a ball I caught at one of their games.  

I went to a Binghamton Mets game and saw a guy mash a home run over the left field fence where it landed on top of a coal hopper car that was part of a passing train (the tracks run just beyond the fence). My friend and I joke that we saw the longest home run ever hit because there is no telling when that ball finally stopped moving.

• Love 7

River Cats, Fisher Cats, what the hell are all these varieties of felines I've never heard of?  Guess that's why I'm a dog person.

In the NYPL there are also the Batavia Muckdogs. And the SeaDogs are in Portland ME, and RiverDogs in Charleston!

Mojo- just saw a story that Bernie finally retired today. Nine years later? 

Have any of you voted in the "Fantastic Four?"   They announced the leaders so far in voting.

eta: my thoughts

LOVE that Eck is #2 for the A's.

Biggio-Bagwell-Berkman for the Astros! Killer B's still in their hearts.

Quiz on the list for the Royals.

Modern day Yankees have a TOUGH road to get in the top 4.

Helton!

Jeff Conine is the #1 Marlin???

And... I still think of Piazza as a Dodger. So odd to see him so high on the Mets list.

Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson ranking high on two teams lists is no surprise.

Edited by King of Birds

Franchise Four, I was like they are doing Fantastic Four too? 

I think there should be a distinction too being fantastic player does not mean you were a Franchise player imo.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Bernie will officially sign his retirement papers Friday. So his HOF bid is all set for 2020!*

*I am not listening to any naysayers lalalalala

I voted for Mo, Joe, The Mick and Babe for the Fantastic Four. I changed my radio button a bunch of times before I made up my mind.

Edited by mojoween

I voted for Mo, Joe, The Mick and Babe for the Fantastic Four. I changed my radio button a bunch of times before I made up my mind.

I subbed Whitey for Joe.  After all Whitey Ford is my father's all time favorite player.

And... I still think of Piazza as a Dodger. So odd to see him so high on the Mets list.

I always have to remind myself that he began as a Dodger.  He was such a great player for so many mediocre Mets seasons (and relatively recent seasons) that he is a particularly towering figure for Mets fans.  Hitting the first home run here after 9/11 for example is still a huge deal in NYC even though it has relatively little to do with what gets you into Cooperstown.  And even though I went to many a game where he got tons of FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT chants during his at bats - I love New York and New Yorkers, but seriously fuck New York and New Yorkers.  Maybe all the homophobes were the Long Island fans :)  Probably not, alas.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

The fact that Buster Posey is on the list of ALL TIME Giants just reaffirms all of my negative prejudice against that team and their fans.  No offense to anyone here personally, of course.

He DOES represent a fairly important era in the team's history though. I don't think it's that terrible that a three-time World Champion, NL MVP and Rookie of Year is considered highly by a team's fanbase, even when it's a team with a lot of legends. Sure, he's current and it's all recent but it's still pretty huge and he's a big part of the franchise and will be for years to come. 

• Love 2