Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I enjoyed an MLBN interview yesterday with Randy Johnson.  His current passion is photography and he completely stepped away from the baseball world for the past few years, and while he jokingly intimidated the hell out of Sean Casey in the studio he came across as much less intense and much more personable than I expected him to be.

So, really - who were the almost 9% of voters who did NOT think that Pedro was Hall-worthy?

I'm sure most of them are in the "So and so is a hall of fame player, but I think he's a second ballot guy" camp. 

It's old-school baseball stuff, and I doubt it will ever go away.

The former Phillies GM Ed Wade once ,when talking about Schilling, said something along the lines of when he pitches Schilling is a horse every other day he's a horse's ass. Schilling is ridiculous. I wonder if next he'll say that he didn't get in as retaliation for sayING what he did this year.

I am very sad Donny Baseball has not made it into the Hall but I've resigned myself that it probably won't happen.

I'm going to create my own Hall of Fame and its sole members will be Mattingly and Phil Simms.

• Love 1

Also long-resigned about Donnie. His good/great years were too few amidst all the injuries.

An erstwhile roommate of mine once spent a few hours sitting on Phil Simms's lap in a bar. He was married at the time, but that didn't seem to bother either of them. I think he's in her HoF, for what that's worth... :)

• Love 3

About Mattingly, I have to wonder if the fact that he was a career Yankee and doesn't have a single World Series ring (and only one playoff series, which the Yankees lost) to show for it counted against him.  It's one thing for top players from other, title-starved teams (Ted Williams, Yaz, Ernie Banks) to make it in without rings; it's another when you played in the Bronx.  At this point, though, he's off the BBWAA ballot and it's up to the "whatever its name is this month" Committee.

the fact that he was a career Yankee and doesn't have a single World Series ring

The year of the players' strike (1994) the Yankees would absolutely have gone to the Series.  I've always admired Mattingly for backing the players even though he knew it meant it was going to cost him the ring.  At this point I also kind of wonder if his support of the players has cost him a place in the HoF.   To me he is very much like Ernie Banks - a good player on a bad team, and a gentleman on a team run by assholes. 

• Love 1

I would imagine that if someone drank 107 beers in one day, they would be in no condition to count that high. Nor to remember the day. Assuming they survived it.

Yeah, I'm putting Boggs' claim right up there in the disbelieve file along with Wilt Chamberlain stating he slept with 3,493,568 women, or whatever that alleged figure was.

As a Nationals fan, I hate the Scherzer signing. Our rotation was tops in the NL last year - we didn't need to improve it. We couldn't hit our way out of a paper bag in the playoffs. How's that going to help us? Also, I'm doubly pissed if this prevents us from re-signing Desmond next year.

• Love 1

The adage good pitching beats good hitting is true but you still need hitting to score runs so I see your point, one I'd not thought of before.

I'd typically agree with you, and if I had to choose I'd rather have good pitching. Our big guns with the exception of Harper and Rendon were so embarrassing in that series. Bumgarner was possessed, but for real - from Rick Snider:

Outfielder Denard Span, who set a team single-season record with 184 hits, batted .105 against the Giants. LaRoche was .056, outfielder Jayson Werth was .059, catcher Wilson Ramos was .118 and shortstop Ian Desmond was .167.

So, so, so, so bad. 

This is ignoring Drew Storen's implosion, though. BUT STILL. VERY BAD.

I rooted for The Cubs in1969 as a NYer who hated the Mets for daring to beat the Cubbies. Ernie's passing is sad and I am actually crying as I write.

You just know the Cubs are going to do something special to honor him this season and I hope they make a playoff push. A true icon. Must be a sad day in Chicago. 

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1

Even people who are not Cubs fans are going to be saddened over this news.  :(

I started crying as soon as I heard and stopping the tears was difficult.  Ernie was such a great ambassador for the game and oh how I loved his smile, his enthusiasm, and his all around happiness.

• Love 1

What is interesting is that today we generally see Cal Jr as the guy who changed the type of guy who played SS. Cal, A Rod are pretty big guys who could muscle the ball and be very athletic at the same time.  That's true but really Ernie's stats measure up quite well against Ripkin's.

Cal had 431 HR, 1695 RBI, 3184 Hits, BA .276  20 seasons

Ernie     512 HR, 1636 RBI, 2583 Hits, BA .274  19 seasons

Really, my recollection of most SS's back in the day were short guys like Rizzuto and Reese. Then we got the long and lanky type like Ernie who paved the way for the Belangers and Gene Michaels of the world. Then came big guys like Cal, A Rod and even Jeter.

Ernie really was a great player and man and while I only saw him at the end of his career he was still legendary at the time.

Still teary eyed,  

• Love 1