Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

My birthday is on Halloween and I always take PTO that week so I am usually able to stay up for the playoffs and/or World Series.   

If I am home, I will watch every game (and sometimes when I’m not home).  If the hubs is using the TV I’ll use my phone or iPad to watch the YES app or whatever infernal streaming device I have to.

I am going to be so very sad when Apple TV+ starts charging because I will have to think long and hard if I want to sign up for ANOTHER streaming service.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cleo said:

I feel like I should get $5 off my cable bill for every game blacked out. 

Apparently Peacock's subscriber numbers have been flat the last few months. Oddly enough having random baseball games on at 11:30 in the morning on Sundays didn't result in a rush of people signing up. 

Out of market Yankees' fan here. I feel like I should get $5 off my MLB.tv subscription for every game blacked out!  To a certain extent, I understand cable blackouts but my contract is directly with MLB, and I signed up to get coverage for EVERY Yankees' game, yet I can't see the Apple TV games! 😡 (I happen to have a Peacock subscription, so I can see those--mercifully few--games, but not through MLB.tv.) The Amazon Prime games are broadcast on MLB.tv because they're in essence, YES Network games with the YES broadcast team. 

For a sports league that's looking to re-grow a fan base, they're failing mightily.

• Sad 1
  • Love 7

FYI, if anyone has a Target Circle account, you can get AppleTV+ for 4 months free.  This expires at the end of September, but the last offer expired sometime in June and was extended.  So if you check in next spring, you may be able to get through most of the season.  

Or, is you sign up now, you can get through this season and the post-season (if there are any games there post-season - haven't looked into it).

• Love 1
On 8/18/2022 at 3:08 PM, xaxat said:

Pirates fan here. You have no idea what wretched truly is.

I like the Mets and the Reds.

Reds are sort of imo very similar to the Pirates.  Won 5 World Series as well in their lifetime but not in over 30 years.  Also, both teams have had overall not much success this century with some nice moments.  This series is a battle for the basement 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I like the Mets and the Reds.

Odd combo. That reminds me . . . when I was going up the stairs before the game started at Citi Field, I saw a guy wearing a Reds jersey . . . George Foster, #15.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Odd combo. That reminds me . . . when I was going up the stairs before the game started at Citi Field, I saw a guy wearing a Reds jersey . . . George Foster, #15.

Where I grew up the Mets were the local team.  Most my family liked them including my Dad so I followed suit.  But as I branched out more I started to like the Reds.

I'm of the I guess unpopular opinion you can root for more than one team in each pro sport.  I mean it's not like cheating on a wife/husband/what not.  But jumping on a teams bandwagon to me is weak as hell.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

If he doesn't get hurt he should have no problem passing A-Rod, especially if the Cards are able to lock up their playoff position early.  He'll be starting every game he can.

Speaking of Pujols, maybe it's a sign of how crappy his past decade has been, but you'd think the farewell season of one of the best players ever would get more press.  Plus he's always been considered clean - the big rumor about him is that he lied about his age, which would explain how his production tanked the moment he showed up in Anaheim.

• Love 3
(edited)

At least they’re FINALLY retiring Paul O’Neill’s number today.

Remember when LaTroy Hawkins came to the Yankees and dared to wear #21(he was honoring Roberto Clemente, which Paulie was fine with), and the fans let.him.have.it?  I even remember a “PAUL O’NEILL! clap clap clap-clap-clap” chant at one point.  I think Jeter was the one who convinced him to switch to #22.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1

And yet, to this day, if I hear the name Paul O’Neill, I think … “Cincinnati”.

I think it’s because Barry Larkin was my baseball boyfriend, Eric Davis was my emergency backup baseball boyfriend, and at that time I was DESPERATE for the Reds to win that WS.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

I love that Paulie was giving hug hugs and not bro hugs.  It’s so clear how much this means to him.

And how amazing that the Clemente family wanted to be involved.   For a number given by random!

(Hal Steinbrenner appears to be unsure of the O’Neill family vaccination status, however)

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

And yet, to this day, if I hear the name Paul O’Neill, I think … “Cincinnati”.

I think it’s because Barry Larkin was my baseball boyfriend, Eric Davis was my emergency backup baseball boyfriend, and at that time I was DESPERATE for the Reds to win that WS.

I was a mere tween sensation in 1990 and was also desperate for Cincinnati to win since I was born there (and had had my heart broken a year and a half prior during the Super Bowl), but those three men were among the reasons I knew I was gay.

• Love 2
(edited)

Paul has adorable grandbabies!
(At first I was like “There’s no way he’s a grandpa,” but then I remembered that he’s three years older than me, and the same age my husband would’ve been. So I guess he is old enough…*sigh*)

Edited by smittykins
  • Hugs 1

I was at a comic show today, so I missed Mets/Phils. From the box score, it looks like it was a wild game. Oh, and the Mets now have a relief pitcher that was working at a bank last year.

Do those teams play again? Mets had to miss Thor in a Phillies uni. Bright side:  Max and Jacob will be set to pitch in the Bronx.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, twoods said:

So the Brewers have any chance of getting into the playoffs? They seem to be the only team that the Dodgers can’t beat up on. 

They do.  They're currently the first team out & about a game and a half back from San Diego.  I think the former has played 3 fewer games though.  Then there's San Francisco, who's the second team out, but Milwaukee does have a decent chance to get in

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, twoods said:

So the Brewers have any chance of getting into the playoffs? They seem to be the only team that the Dodgers can’t beat up on. 

Here are the current NL Wild Card standings. Brewers are tied in the loss column with the Padres.

Screenshot_20220823-163523_MLB.jpg

Edited by ProudMary
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Streaming is going GREAT tonight.  The picture surely isn’t freezing, and the sound definitely isn’t going in and out, and the action on screen is just perfectly synced up with the broadcast always.  Love it.  Couldn’t be happier.  This is just super, Manfred.  

• LOL 5
54 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Streaming is going GREAT tonight.  The picture surely isn’t freezing, and the sound definitely isn’t going in and out, and the action on screen is just perfectly synced up with the broadcast always.  Love it.  Couldn’t be happier.  This is just super, Manfred.  

*Rob Manfred likes this post*

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I was going to say that I didn't seem to be experiencing these issues on my TV, but then Gleyber Torres just froze and was totally out of sync with the action....

• LOL 1

Oh, I don't doubt it will happen at some point. They have made so many changes, between widespread interleague play, universal DH, and all, that there really isn't much left to differentiate between the two leagues. They may have to wait until some of us dinosaurs are gone, but I expect it to happen.

• Sad 1

I wouldn't call you a dinosaur! I admit as someone whose team is in the AL East I don't mind one bit lol.

Since I'm here- Stroman returning to Toronto on Tuesday and I'm already nauseated by the worship and fawning from some fans. I really dislike Stroman. So glad the Jays moved on from him.

• Love 1

I think I'm definitely never putting baseball behind soccer in the pecking order, but I wouldn't say someone's wrong for personally doing so if Major League Baseball went to an East/West format.  With that?  Whatever, but there's no guarantee a small market team would move separate from a big market.

Regardless, Tampa can win when it counts regardless (of whether they're in the same division as New York & Boston), whereas Pittsburgh would stop at nothing to lose whether they're in the same division as St. Louis/Chicago or not.  The structure ought to be based on or related to payroll & market.  I'd be okay to be fair, if there was a salary cap (and/or floor).

Unless Manfred dies, I wouldn't be shocked if this is the system they end up going with, while allowing LA, New York, etc to spend infinity in terms of what needs to happen to make their team better.

To be fair, there are a lot of changes that've happened and are slated to happen.  Unless Rob quits or exits, it's going to come with criticism.  There are some things he's done right or that aren't a big deal one way or another, but man, overall the commissioner needs be better and caring, I suppose

1. Buck Showalter thinks next year’s schedule is “great for the fans”.  Speak for yourself, Buck!

2. Of more limited interest, Timmy Trumpet is going to be in New York Tuesday, and if Edwin Diaz gets in the game that night, Timmy will play “Narco” live.

18 hours ago, Carey said:

I think I'm definitely never putting baseball behind soccer in the pecking order, but I wouldn't say someone's wrong for personally doing so if Major League Baseball went to an East/West format.  With that?  Whatever, but there's no guarantee a small market team would move separate from a big market.

Regardless, Tampa can win when it counts regardless (of whether they're in the same division as New York & Boston), whereas Pittsburgh would stop at nothing to lose whether they're in the same division as St. Louis/Chicago or not.  The structure ought to be based on or related to payroll & market.  I'd be okay to be fair, if there was a salary cap (and/or floor).

Unless Manfred dies, I wouldn't be shocked if this is the system they end up going with, while allowing LA, New York, etc to spend infinity in terms of what needs to happen to make their team better.

To be fair, there are a lot of changes that've happened and are slated to happen.  Unless Rob quits or exits, it's going to come with criticism.  There are some things he's done right or that aren't a big deal one way or another, but man, overall the commissioner needs be better and caring, I suppose

As long as they don't put Atlanta and Cincinnati in the west and St Louis and Chicago in the east.

I always thought that was weird.

• Applause 2
19 hours ago, cleo said:

I wouldn't call you a dinosaur! I admit as someone whose team is in the AL East I don't mind one bit lol.

Since I'm here- Stroman returning to Toronto on Tuesday and I'm already nauseated by the worship and fawning from some fans. I really dislike Stroman. So glad the Jays moved on from him.

Oh nooooooooooo!

Cleo, I met him!  I saw him on the street back when he was playing for us and I stopped him and told him what a fan I was.  He was so so so nice.  I could never dislike him after that!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, mojoween said:

1. Buck Showalter thinks next year’s schedule is “great for the fans”.  Speak for yourself, Buck!

"Why should I care? We're going to win it all, and Manfred will decide that's the best point to disband the league."

• LOL 4
21 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Like Manfred needs more ideas on how to destroy the game...

If that's his aim, he should hire "Bottom Line Bob." (Nutting,  for you non-Pirates fans.) He's  certainly  proven he knows how to  destroy a *team* .

• Love 1

You know, baseball *may* be on the decline, and Rob Manfred has his shoes ready to dance at the funeral, but I’m pretty sure that football, basketball and hockey don’t have hit songs about them like “Centerfield”.

Yes, it may be 40 years old, but John Fogerty is awesome, and in four decades no one has come up with anything better.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Watching pregame for the Mets’ Old-Timers Day. Jesse Orosco might be immortal.

Just found out Bartolo Colon will be the starting pitcher for one of the teams. John Franco takes the mound for the other.

ETA: Managers for one of the teams: Joe Torre and Willie Randolph. I dunno about that.

Bobby Valentine is co-managing with Terry Collins. He’s got sunglasses and a painted mustache. Cute.

Huh. I don’t think Doug Sisk was at the celebration of the ‘86 Mets . . .

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’m pretty sure that football, basketball and hockey don’t have hit songs about them like “Centerfield”.

Yes, it may be 40 years old, but John Fogerty is awesome

I thought "Centerfield" was by J. Geils Band...

• LOL 1

“Centerfield” is good for demonstrating grammar. “Put me in, coach” is different from “Put me in coach.”

Honestly, has a team in any sport retired a number with no fanfare leading up to it?

I haven’t used my Flickr account in ages, but I’ve been paying for it. That was enough to get me to create an album from the Mets game I attended. I’ll try to put up descriptions soon. Also,I didn’t put in pictures taken of me in front of the Seaver statue. Smiling for cameras is a bit of a weak spot for me.

• Love 1