Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

My Phillies friend was astonished I was rooting for the Nats (you’d think I was rooting for the Mets....

As a Met fan, I was conflicted during this WS. Usually if I don't have a strong rooting interest, I'll go with the NL team, but they're a division rival, but in the end I was pulling for the Nats. And I know it's been a few years, but I still think of the Astros as an NL team, and they had some epic battles with the Mets over the years.

• Love 3

It doesn't help that games start so late either. I went to bed at the end of the sixth in game 7. Then they added replay now which makes games even longer. 

I mean, this is true of all pro sports overall. Basketball is the only sport where the average fan is younger. Interesting they don't really have replays and challenges. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Basketball is probably also the most instant gratification-oriented of the five major sports played in the US as well as the most "three second clip of something awesome" friendly, which seems to me not a coincidence.

You could make a case for football in that context too, though I'd say basketball has way more pace and doesn't take as long.

What's always funny to me is that you can watch nearly three full soccer games in the time it takes for just about any of these sports.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Sean Doolittle appears to be a pretty fun Twitter follow from stuff I’ve seen liked or retweeted, but if I do that, I will get some odd targeted shit all up in my feed.  
#21stCenturyProblem

???

17 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

What's always funny to me is that you can watch nearly three full soccer games in the time it takes for just about any of these sports.

I firmly believe there is a conspiracy to keep soccer/football from getting too recognized in the U.S. If a World Cup final is end in regulation time, it would come in around two hours long. NBA Finals, Stanley Cup and/or Super Bowl games? Nope. And remember how stunned I was last year when I found out Game 1 of the World Series came in under three hours?

• Useful 1

It's nice for this Indians fan that Roberto Perez won his first Gold Glove. It was well earned and deserved. Frankie Lindor won another Gold Glove as well. This is the first time two or more Indians have won the award in the same year since 2001, when Omar Vizquel and Robby Alomar won them.

• Love 3

Congratulations to Pete "Polar Bear" Alonso for winning Rookie of the Year! He got but one of the writers' first-place votes. I hope he has an excellent 2020 . . . and since he's a Met, I also hope a piano loaded down with anvils doesn't fall on him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Congratulations to Pete "Polar Bear" Alonso for winning Rookie of the Year! He got but one of the writers' first-place votes. I hope he has an excellent 2020 . . . and since he's a Met, I also hope a piano loaded down with anvils doesn't fall on him.

Good for him. I don't follow the NL that much, but he sure put on a show at the HR Derby! 

• Love 1

It surprises me the vehemence in which I disagree with Michael Wilbon’s take on sign stealing.  Basically he says who cares, he can’t get worked up about it and so what if they are using cameras.  I felt for Tony’s incredulity during their exchange.

IT’S CHEATING ACCORDING TO THE RULES, MICHAEL.  Yes the Astros should be punished somehow.

• Love 13

This kind of underscores baseball's problem with 'unwritten rules' (which isn't a thing). If it's a rule, make it a rule. If it's not, then shut up and play the game. 

I've read a lot about how 'sign stealing has always been part of the game.' Well, yes, ok, but if you get caught, then you have to have consequences. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

This kind of underscores baseball's problem with 'unwritten rules' (which isn't a thing). If it's a rule, make it a rule. If it's not, then shut up and play the game. 

The allegation is that the Astros used electronic means to steal signs, which is against the written rules of the game. (As compared to a guy on second watching the catcher.)

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

It surprises me the vehemence in which I disagree with Michael Wilbon’s take on sign stealing.  Basically he says who cares, he can’t get worked up about it and so what if they are using cameras.

I've followed Wilbon since he was a writer for the Post doing local DC TV. I'm about the same age as he is but, holy crap, he has turned into a crotchety old man. 

• Love 9

“Will Derek Jeter join Mo as the only unanimous Hall of Famers?”

Short answer - no

Long answer - are you serious with this do you know how many people hate Derek Jeter and are going to use their HOF vote as “he’s definitely going in so I’m going to vote for someone else who is close” and are you kidding that you don’t think people find him to be a marginal candidate ANYWAYS?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

I'm not sure what problem this Modern Era HOF vote is supposed to solve. The old Veteran's Committee made sense. They could nominate players that were overlooked because they weren't as famous as their counterparts in New York and it was crucial in recognizing the contributions of the Negro Leagues. 

But guys like Dave Parker and Steve Garvey? They already had a legitimate shot and were found lacking. 

• Love 1
On 11/16/2019 at 7:51 PM, mojoween said:

My hubby and I watched Major League today (and yowzer some of that movie does not at all hold up) and we were laughing that in 30 years we went from “Wild Thing” to “Baby Shark”.

I still love every minute of that movie. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I still love every minute of that movie. 

I’m a lifelong Indians’ fan and that movie was, for many years, the closest I’d ever gotten to a Tribe post season.  Ask any Indians fan; we cry every time they win the big game onscreen.

• Love 4

No one tell basiltherat about Rusty Kuntz.

I'm aware there was a pitcher named JJ Putz. I have no idea why he'd be on a Hall of Fame ballot. A visit to his career stats page did not clear that up, either. Was he even the best "really good set up guy" of his era?

42 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I’m lost . . . why the contraction?

Save some money, get more control?

I'm sure it's pure coincidence that MLB announced this plan the year after they got federal legislation passed exempting the minors from certain labor and wage protections. There are a lot of pissed politicians right now.

7 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I'm aware there was a pitcher named JJ Putz. I have no idea why he'd be on a Hall of Fame ballot. A visit to his career stats page did not clear that up, either. Was he even the best "really good set up guy" of his era?

The official requirements to make the ballot:

A player is eligible for election to the Baseball Hall of Fame if satisfies the following criteria:

The player must have competed in ten seasons. ...

The player has been retired for at least five seasons. ...

A screening committee must approve the player's worthiness.

The player must not be on the ineligible (i.e. banned) list

The screening committee's bar is pretty low. I guess they figure most of the newbs on the ballot will be flushed out after year one, when the 5% vote threshold doesn't get met.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Save some money, get more control?

I'm sure it's pure coincidence that MLB announced this plan the year after they got federal legislation passed exempting the minors from certain labor and wage protections. There are a lot of pissed politicians right now.

*sigh* That sounds shady, and thus very MLB. Also, I apologize if I seemed anal posting the Minor League thread. I figured that would be a better place to bitch.

The Staten Island Yankees are on the list. Naturally. I seldom get around to watch them, and now they might be going the way of the version of the London Eye that wound up getting scrapped.

Also: JJ Putz's name is pronounced "Puts." His entrance music was "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC. Don't ask how or why I remember that.

Edited by Lantern7