Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

It was great, I wish Cleveland had won. 

I was hoping Cleveland would take the series against Boston and their next against NY. They would have become my favourite non Blue Jays AL team.

• Love 3
(edited)

Why is it such major news whenever Aaron Judge isn't in the lineup?  He's going through a slump, which has happened to every hitter in the history of baseball, and everyone deserves an occasional day off.  I don't think we'll see the likes of a Ripkenesque streak anytime soon.  He'll be fine.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, smittykins said:

Why is it such major news whenever Aaron Judge isn't in the lineup?  He's going through a slump, which has happened to every hitter in the history of baseball, and everyone deserves an occasional day off.  I don't think we'll see the likes of a Ripkenesque streak anytime soon.  He'll be fine.

Sooooo, don't Judge him?

Thank you, I'll be here all week don't forget to tip your waitstaff....

• Love 6

Mets in review for this evening: They got shut out, deGrom lost on a night where fans got hats with his mane attached, Darvish went seven for the win. Oh, and Puig homered. So did Utley. Motherfucker. I saw him go deep for an out, and the fans are still not forgiving him for the 2015 NLDS. And then Puig homered. Seriously, Utley does a lot of damage in New York, and he broke Ruben Tejada's leg. He has to eat dirt, but the last time he got a ball behind him, Thor and Terry were ejected. Yes, I'm still bitter.

• Love 3

And the Dodgers have Corey Seager, barely a kid out of the minors, younger brother of Kyle, yet Corey gets much more media attention than his seasoned, fabulous elder brother who plays in the media wasteland that is Seattle, Washington.  

At least this time the Ms only hit .500 and didn't go sub like they have the eight previous times they've managed to make it to .500 this year.  (I wish we had a sarcasm font so I could damn with faint praise.)  Yay.  

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Mets in review for this evening: They got shut out, deGrom lost on a night where fans got hats with his mane attached, Darvish went seven for the win. Oh, and Puig homered. So did Utley. Motherfucker. I saw him go deep for an out, and the fans are still not forgiving him for the 2015 NLDS. And then Puig homered. Seriously, Utley does a lot of damage in New York, and he broke Ruben Tejada's leg. He has to eat dirt, but the last time he got a ball behind him, Thor and Terry were ejected. Yes, I'm still bitter.

It was a deGrom jersey pretty good quality. I was at the Mets game tonight while this season has been a dissapointment Rosario and Conforto both played well. Hopefully we rebound next year. I was really impressed with Seager. 

11 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

It was a deGrom jersey pretty good quality. I was at the Mets game tonight while this season has been a dissapointment Rosario and Conforto both played well. Hopefully we rebound next year. I was really impressed with Seager. 

Sorry for the mistake. I forget the theme is always "Free Shirt Fridays." I'd go, but I'd end up getting home after midnight by mass transit. Also, these are the Mets. Those guys had issues even during their postseason runs in the past two years. I expect Granderson to be caught in a motel room on a pile of dead call girls by season's end, because he's that nice a guy and he's a Met, so there would be something wrong with him.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Sorry for the mistake. I forget the theme is always "Free Shirt Fridays." I'd go, but I'd end up getting home after midnight by mass transit. Also, these are the Mets. Those guys had issues even during their postseason runs in the past two years. I expect Granderson to be caught in a motel room on a pile of dead call girls by season's end, because he's that nice a guy and he's a Met, so there would be something wrong with him.

It's all good. Granderson probably won't be a Met next year. I would be more worried about deGrom, Syndergaard or Rosario being caught in a motel room with a pile of dead call girls at the end of the season since those three plus Cespedes and Smith are the core of the Mets future.

19 hours ago, twoods said:

It is seriously unfair that the Dodgers got better with Darvish (who by the way, is smoking hot).

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Darvish is hot!

Genetically speaking I'm supposed to hate the Dodgers since they broke my family's heart by leaving Brooklyn but I love Dave Roberts so much that I can't help but be in awe of what that team is accomplishing this season.

• Love 3

Turned on the radio before shopping. Mets had hit three homers in the first inning. I figure, "Hey, maybe today will be a good day." Then the Dodgers kept going yard, and they won. Of course. Stil waiting for news that Terry Collins committed hara-kiri with a bat.

• Love 3

The Yankees project to 86-76 this season from what I've read. That is about what was expected before the season started. They are where they should be. This is a team in transition & it is a victim of its own success. Still not good enough to beat Houston or Cleveland or even Tampa or Boston in a 1 game playoff. Yes, to Ro at catcher and Sanchez as DH even if only for a little while. It is clear that Sanchez can be a good/great receiver but he needs a reality check. He sucks right now. 

I feel so badly for Matt Holliday and I would like to think that he is not finished as a MLB player. But he is just not producing since he came back. He s such a nice guy but it seems nice guys finish last on this team (i.e. Chris Carter).  I still look forward to this teams evolution over the next year or two. 

Edited by prican58
23 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm still bitter and I'm not even a Mets fan. I just hate Utley and I hate the dodgers and that will forever be a dirty ass move. 

My Phillies friend continues to fail at convincing me that Utley is redeemable. 

2 hours ago, prican58 said:

I feel so badly for Matt Holliday and I would like to think that he is not finished as a MLB player. But he is just not producing since he came back. He s such a nice guy but it seems nice guys finish last on this team (i.e. Chris Carter).  I still look forward to this teams evolution over the next year or two. 

Speaking of still being bitter and dirty moves, that's how I feel about Holliday and have felt about him since the 2012 postseason when he crashed into Scutaro (but booyah, the Giants still beat the Cardinals and it felt that much better). ;) Scutaro never really fully recovered from his back/hip issues, but he'll always be one of the best postseason heroes ever. 

3 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Darvish is hot!

Genetically speaking I'm supposed to hate the Dodgers since they broke my family's heart by leaving Brooklyn but I love Dave Roberts so much that I can't help but be in awe of what that team is accomplishing this season.

I'm looking forward to seeing them choke in the postseason, as usual. 

On the other hand, if they ended up winning it all, it might be better to do it this year. When it rains it pours, and it has monsooned all over the Giants this season, one storm after another, so hey, maybe it might be better if the 2017 band-aid gets ripped off at once instead of slowly and gently. 

(But I still look forward to seeing them lose in the postseason). 

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 1

A glorious night at the ballpark!  The weather was spectacular.  The Os won!  And Tim Beckham hit the 10,000th home run in franchise history.  

Oh, and it was Jonathan Schoop bobblehead night.  

The only problem was the insane woman sitting in front of us.  Ah well, nothing is perfect.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I have a Matt Joyce bobblehead from when he was with the Rays and I think it's time it met the garbage can.

Ya know, I was about to say send it to me, but then I remembered that I'll be in NY for Aroldis Chapman bobblehead day...and I don't even care to go.  So, garbage can works.

• Love 1

WTF is Matt Joyce?

Yeah, a Chapman bobblehead isn't the best idea. I got itchy seeing a promotion centered on Jose Reyes heading into this year. I mean, he's one of the all-time Mets and a phenom in his first stint, but still . . .

Mets are on prime time tonight! This might be the night Terry Collins takes his own life. I know, he's probably used to the grind and at peace with walking the plank by the end of the year, but this team constantly finds new ways to fuck themselves over.

Why It's Tough To Be A Mets Fan: Part Whatever.

With the Mets playing on ESPN tonight, SNY is running two episodes of Mets Classics back-to-back. First one: Johann Santana's no-hitter, the first in franchise history. You know, the one where he threw 133 pitches after surgery, and his career got torpedoed. Oh, and a ball hit the foul line, and the umpire called it fair, so that's a tainted night. Right now, they have a game from last year in late August against the Marlins. Their starting pitcher? Jose Fernandez. It's painful to hear the guys in the booth talk him up. "He has ZERO weaknesses! Except boats. And cocaine."

(edited)

ESPN notification:  "David Ross feels that if Gary Sanchez anticipates pitches better, he can cut down on past balls."

Good proofreading there, guys.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 2

Of course Noah Syndergaard is in Game of Thrones. Not like he has to pitch nowadays. Meanwhile, the Mets that are healthy and not famous enough to cameo on popular shows got shut out by the Dodgers. Again. And they got one hit. And the Dodgers fans filled the meager stands at the end of the game. You know the definition of "defensive indifference"? It's not when somebody goes to second base uncontested because the catcher doesn't give a fuck. It's what Mets fans have to avoid hurting themselves and others. Thank goodness I don't give that big of a crap these days.

http://m.phillies.mlb.com/news/article/246955016/phillies-legend-darren-daulton-dies-at-55/

Darren Daulton has passed away at 55. I knew he had cancer but last time i saw him on tv , which i guess was last years Alumni Weekend, he looked like he was doing well. I was suprised when i saw the alert on my phone. I think while i was a Phillies fan before 93 , I was 12 turning 13 during the 93 season and i was allowed to stay up and watch the games.  One of my favorite memories was turning the tx on mute and watching the last out of the NLCS with Ritchie Ashburn amd Harry Kalas calling the final our on the radio. 

Rest in Peace Dutch. Fuck Cancer!!

• Love 5

I'm actually impressed he survived as long as he did.  AIUI, glioblastoma is the worst kind of brain cancer as far as life expectancy(I believe Bobby Murcer's book says the average is sixteen months).

RIP, Darren.  Double fuck cancer.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

glioblastoma is the worst kind of brain cancer as far as life expectancy

My mom was dead within two months. (If there's an upside, she didn't die in agony.) 

Fuck cancer with a wheelbarrow.

• Love 1

One thing I'll remember about both players is how physically imposing they were.

Daulton was tall for a catcher and looked like a tank behind the plate. And Baylor, who took a lot of HBP, bounced fastballs off his bicep like it was nothing.

• Love 1

I always got Darren Daulton confused with Darren Dalton, the actor, who was in one of my favorite movies of all time.  When I was younger I thought the actor had pivoted to a baseball career.

Fuck cancer with a rusty spigot.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Hearing about Don Baylor hit me hard for some reason and I started to cry.

Thank you! now I I don't feel so crazy that I had the same reaction.  Part of it was that he was only 68 and we've been having some heavy duty health issues here at Casa Rat in the last year so part was my own anxiety.  But part of it was that for some reason he seemed about ten years younger than that in my mind and I have such clear memories of him as a player and as a manager.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

The game worn jerseys will be up for auction after the weekend and I want one!!  Doesn't even matters whose!

Oh, MLB...

giphy.gif

• Love 7