Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Sigh.  I am currently at a charming little hotel in Lake George NY with a 30" tube television.  The weather has been good and the fall foliage is magnificent.

My point, you ask?  This adorable hotel with a front and back porch has basic cable.

So no baseball.  I feel like a cave woman.

• Love 1

Enjoy the porch, twitter watch the game (if you have it), find MLB tv (I think it might be free at this point and time) and enjoy the nice weather.

Meanwhile I will be watching and twitter watching the Nats, twitter watching the Redskins game and twitter watching the NASCAR race, Which all start at the same time tomorrow.

Stupid Matthew.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Sigh.  I am currently at a charming little hotel in Lake George NY with a 30" tube television.  The weather has been good and the fall foliage is magnificent.

My point, you ask?  This adorable hotel with a front and back porch has basic cable.

So no baseball.  I feel like a cave woman.

Isn't that what phones with giant screens are for?  Watching baseball?? Or at least listening to baseball on the (phone app) radio (which is how god intended it to be enjoyed)

• Love 1

MLB.tv asked me for 25 bucks so that was a no unfortunately and listening on the at bat app was fun but a challenge because I really had to pay attention because I don't know who is who on which team with a few exceptions.

Ahh the life of a 21st century sports fan.

Aim we really gotta get you an upgrade!

• Love 2

I'm a Cubs fan, so all we are talking about is the good (pitchers hitting!) and bad (Javi transfixed by his own batting; terrifying headfirst slide) but didn't anyone want to ask Giants' manager why in heaven's name he would pinch-hit his best player (MadBum) and risk having him get hurt??!!  

Indians / Sox has been rained out.   They'll play 2morrow at 6pm.

Who does the rainout favor?  It could hurt the Tribe, because they have momentum going.   It could hurt the Sox because they were probably pumped up, and holding onto them during this delay could cause too much energy 2morrow.

But the teams are still planning on Tomlin v. Buckholz.

• Love 1

Theoretically the rainout allows both teams' G1 & G2 starters to pitch in Games 4 & 5.  Can Porcello and Price suck as much a second time around if the Sox crunch on Tito's team Monday night?  Stay Tuned!

is yet another reason why I'll never be in favor of the DH

Teams generally carry 12 or 13 pitchers. There are 32 teams.  32x12= 384.  And you can count, what? 3, maybe 4 pitchers who have proven they can hit?  I'm giving the side-eye to ALL of you one-percenters.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 3

I think the rainout slightly favors the Sox. It's clear they've been back on their heels pretty much the whole series, and another day to take a breath/settle down/get themselves collected and their heads together can only be a good thing. I don't think it will be enough to let them take the whole series, though.

You have to think that if the Sox win tomorrow, Porcello goes in Game 4. But I just can't believe they would trot Price out there for Game 5. If nothing else, start Pomeranz, yank him after 3, and let Price come in in relief, since he's actually better out of the pen in the playoffs.

7 hours ago, basiltherat said:

I'm a Cubs fan, so all we are talking about is the good (pitchers hitting!) and bad (Javi transfixed by his own batting; terrifying headfirst slide) but didn't anyone want to ask Giants' manager why in heaven's name he would pinch-hit his best player (MadBum) and risk having him get hurt??!!  

Because madbum can hit. He's pinch hit before and will do it again. You don't get to the success they've had without thinking creatively. You should see madbum during BP before games. He's a beast. 

4 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Theoretically the rainout allows both teams' G1 & G2 starters to pitch in Games 4 & 5.  Can Porcello and Price suck as much a second time around if the Sox crunch on Tito's team Monday night?  Stay Tuned!

Teams generally carry 12 or 13 pitchers. There are 32 teams.  32x12= 384.  And you can count, what? 3, maybe 4 pitchers who have proven they can hit?  I'm giving the side-eye to ALL of you one-percenters.

I know about 4 or 5 National Pitchers who can hit.

Max, Joe, Tanner, Mat Latos, Gio

3 hours ago, roamyn said:

You don't think they'd save Porc for a possible game 5 in Cleve?

I see the advantages of Porc in Game 4, but I'd think you'd want your best pitcher at the last away game..

I totally hear what you're saying--I can absolutely see the argument for starting E-Rod/Pomeranz at home, and Porcello on the road, as opposed to Porc at home and whomever at Cleveland--but I just think you have to GET to Game 5 to begin with. Farrell would be utterly pilloried if he saved Porcello for Game 5 and then the Sox lose Game 4. It's like the Giants with MadBum--they didn't save him for Game 1 of the NLDS and throw someone else in the WC game, they put him out there to give themselves the best shot at advancing.

Not sure what they're challenging but- another gut punch for the Rangers.

eta- I know the idea is you want to turn the DP but Moreland needed to come off the base and make sure he caught it. Donaldson is meat if he actually fields that throw. 

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 2

Wow at that ending in the 10th of Toronto vs Texas. That was some major errors at the end there.  I don't think there was anyway Texas was coming back in this series to begin with, but that was a messy way to lose. 

Good job to Toronto sweeping Texas and both teams making it though without any brawls or suspensions. The Jays played it smart and didn't give them any time for fighting.

Also thought it was really classy for all of them to come out from the locker room and run around the stadium to be with the fans, take selfies, slapping hands and appreciating them. 

• Love 4

Wow! Cannot believe that ending, Odor got the error in the end, but all three of the Rangers' fielders messed up. Andrus should've gone to third and cut down Donaldson, Beltre would've had the force out easily, and maybe even had a chance at first. Odor should've obviously surrendered first base and just held the ball. And Moreland should've come off of 1st in order to hold Donaldson on 3rd (or cut him down at home.) Texas forgot all about the man who mattered (Donaldson) and got too focused on turning an inning ending DP that probably would've been close even if Odor had made a perfect throw. 2 outs, Donaldson on 3rd (or Encarnacion on 2nd), Martin on 1st and Tulo at the plate isn't such a terrible scenario for them, especially the way Bush was pitching.

But none of that stuff happened, so thanks Texas! Cause once again I'm happy! We're moving on to the CS first in Toronto! Good thing too, the Jays can really use a few days for recovery. Especially Osuna, I've never seen him pitch so much over the course of 4 games.

Good Luck to the Sox, Indians, Cubs, Giants, Nats and Dodgers. It's Canadian Thanksgiving, and I'm thankful I'm watching all of you play on Monday and not two teams more.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

I know about 4 or 5 National Pitchers who can hit.

Max, Joe, Tanner, Mat Latos, Gio

Adam Wainwright.

I love the pitchers batting though. I would  dislike seeing the DH all the time.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

I like the DH. Not so much when teams use it to keep a still-good-hitting, aging player on the roster, because it's boring, but I like it when a team rotates a lot of people through -- using it to give a first-string player a bit of a break from the field once in awhile. 

Giddy that the Rangers are out. Spent all that money on players for the post-season for nothing, ha. My dad sent me this text that came in at 4am (I'm still in Scotland): "As you sleep the Rangers were eliminated. How sweet."

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Was Texas the one seed in the AL?

Yes, Texas had the best record. But I've always maintained that they weren't actually that good. Most of their wins was by a single point, which says to me that they only did just well enough to squeak through. I think they've just been lucky. Til now. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Was Texas the one seed in the AL?

At the end of the season, it was obvious how well Toronto was playing.  And that's all I will say about that to keep the jinx meter low.

September was a bad month.  I came in and posted about the horror show that was the first two weeks of September.  End of September got a bit better.  Last few games of September and every single game in October has been rocking.  Don't know what's going on.  Won't question it.

We have a lot of horrifying injuries after that stupid, stupid brawl with Yankees which a lot of Toronto fans blame our own team for.  Benoit, and Travis seems to be made of paper and glass and keeps having more injuries.  Just horrifying for us.  But after having been through it last year, I guess this does happen at the end of every season.  TBS tried to play up Donaldon's hip injury which is the last thing he wants.  He had a HELL of a game.  So did Martin.  So did Encarnacion and Osuna who have a hell of a game every game.  

Bautista went 0 for 5.  LOL.  You could tell he really wanted to show Rangers up in his last at bat in the 10th.  In his interview he said "But I don't care, we won!"  LOL.  (Sorry, I adore the man obviously, and I've met a few of them in person.)  

Thanks guys.  Just had to take a moment there.  

Good job to Toronto sweeping Texas and both teams making it though without any brawls or suspensions. The Jays played it smart and didn't give them any time for fighting.

Love this!  

Boston to me obviously looked like the scariest team in the AL east.  I haven't been watching their games so not sure what's going on.  Kind of the mirror reflection to the Jays.  I should tape today's... Going to Canadian Thanksgiving dinner.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 10/7/2016 at 5:13 PM, cleo said:

Liriano was taken to the hospital by ambulance. I really hope he's okay. The batter looked upset too, like no one really wants to see another player get hurt, or not most anyway.

That was the second most alarming hit I've seen, the first being the pitch that hit Josh Donaldson in the side of the face earlier this year. 

Gomez on Rangers (the batter) says he's BFs with Liriano and they went out to dinner together after that.  Liriano is expected back for Game 2 of ALCS.  Seems okay with mild concussion.  Devon Travis is the questionable player with a new knee issue.

On 10/7/2016 at 2:45 PM, mojoween said:

What I have learned the past two days is that the Baltimore Orioles are better than the Texas Rangers.

I have so much newfound respect for them

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
5 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yes, Texas had the best record. But I've always maintained that they weren't actually that good. Most of their wins was by a single point, which says to me that they only did just well enough to squeak through. I think they've just been lucky. Til now. 

If you ignore wins and look at run differential Texas was a very mediocre 14th. Compare that to the other teams in the LDS who were the top 7 teams in baseball. Even the other wildcard teams had better differentials than the Rangers, and there were four other teams that also had better differentials (St. Louis, Seattle, Detroit and Houston, who all came very close to the wildcards).

Some people tried to explain this as "clutch-ness." That the Rangers would surrender if they were getting blown out, but if the game was close they'd step up with a big hit and come from behind in the 8th or 9th or extras. The simpler explanation is they just aren't that much better then all the other teams like their record indicates.

Typically good teams are the ones that blow other teams out and when the good teams are beat they're the ones who get edged by a run or two. Texas was the opposite: When they would win they'd edge teams, and when they'd lose they'd get blown out.

To be fair, Texas did edge teams out A TON, and to be fair they finished with the best record in the AL, you can't take that away from them. But they weren't dominating the other teams in the League, they were barely beating them each time. So it's not so surprising they got bounced so quickly.

Edited by Maximum Taco

Exactly. The edging out thing works in the long run, it certainly kept the Rangers in first for the division all year, it'll get you TO the playoffs, but that type of play just isn't going to fly in post season. That shit gets you swept against a team that can open up and give a thrashing. 

3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Devon Travis is the questionable player with a new knee issue.

Yeah it’s a shame, I think they could really use Travis. I like Goins a lot (he is one of my many crushes across multiple teams) and will always remember him having the guts to get up and pitch in that 19 inning game against the Indians, but he doesn’t hit very well. I’m very thankful Carrera has done so well.

Hoping Boston gets a win tonight because a) I would rather play them than the Indians and b) want the series to go long so we have more rest than they do :)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, cleo said:

Yeah it’s a shame, I think they could really use Travis. I like Goins a lot (he is one of my many crushes across multiple teams) and will always remember him having the guts to get up and pitch in that 19 inning game against the Indians, but he doesn’t hit very well. I’m very thankful Carrera has done so well.

Hoping Boston gets a win tonight because a) I would rather play them than the Indians and b) want the series to go long so we have more rest than they do :)

Ross Atkins says things are looking optimistic for Travis to play ALCS.  They are not calling up Goins.

Why would you rather face Red Sox?  I'm much more scared of Red Sox's lineup, but I know them a lot better.  I think I have this idea that Jays and Indians are quite an even team because we played that 19 inning game -- although Edwin was kicked out of the game at its beginning and I don't think there's anyway the game would last that long with him playing.  Facing Boston these last few weeks I was convinced that they were better than the Jays - well in September.  Who knows what October brings.

(Corrected bolded.  Sorry - my error.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I meant to say I would rather face the Red Sox. Because they're more familiar, we've beaten them before. I think our pitchers are better.

I watched Sox and Indians into the 5th or so, they don't seem to have any fire. Sorry to the Sox fans.

10 minutes ago, cleo said:

I meant to say I would rather face the Red Sox. Because they're more familiar, we've beaten them before. I think our pitchers are better.

I watched Sox and Indians into the 5th or so, they don't seem to have any fire. Sorry to the Sox fans.

If they were trading this series blow for blow I'd agree, but for the Jays to face Boston, the Sox would need to win 3 in a row and they'd come in blazing hot and full of confidence. Chances are if they win all 3 games they'll probably have a couple hot batters, and Porcello and Price will have found their games in games 4 and 5. I don't want to face that Boston team.

But the Indians are no cake walk either, if they can get to the Jays bullpen they could very well destroy it, since they are so balanced and half of them are switch hitters.

Neither is all that appealing to face coming in on a 3 game win streak. I just hope the Sox can pull one out at Fenway tonight.

IMO Best case scenario for the Jays has Boston win at least 1 at home, then get bounced by Cleveland in Game 4 or 5.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

Even after a few years I still think it looks weird for Terry Francona to be in the visitor's dugout at Fenway.

I had no vested interest in this series but will admit I got a bit teary eyed when the Boston crowd started chanting "Papi. Papi" after the game was over.

• Love 2

Good, I know I said the best case scenario for the Jays was for the Sox to win one, but I'm glad we won't have to see Pedroia bat in Toronto the postseason. He feasts off the Jays.

Looking forward to Game 1 in Cleveland. Congrats Indians.

HOLY CRAP! ARIETTA HOMER!? Against Bumgarner? The Cubs pitchers are just on a mission to do it all.

Edited by Maximum Taco
2 hours ago, cleo said:

Thanks.  That was MY error -- sorry, that's what I meant.  yes, I was wondering why you'd face Boston.  I don't know CLE as well but I guess I'll learn the team soon.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay