Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Don't Fear The Conversation

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I watched a few episodes of Z Nation on Netflix.

I was expecting it to be cheesy for some reason, but I really found myself enjoying it.

I need to finish up watching it before the new season.

Can anybody recommend any other decent zombie shows (or movies) on Netflix, Hulu, or otherwise that are worth a watch?

• Love 2
(edited)

Can anybody recommend any other decent zombie shows (or movies) on Netflix, Hulu, or otherwise that are worth a watch?

In the Flesh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00szzcm

2013 British series set four years post-ZA. Zombies are medicated, rehabilitated, and being returned to society.

Dead Set

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dead-set

2008 British series in which people seek refuge from the ZA in the Big Brother house.

Edited to add Shaun of the Dead (2004):

http://youtu.be/yfDUv3ZjH2k

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh, thanks so much!

I've seen Shaun of the Dead (and loved it!), but I've never heard of the other two so I'll check them out.

Another little-known ZA flick I enjoyed was Doghouse:

A group of men head to a remote village to help one of their friends get over his divorce; when they get there, though, they discover that all the women have been infected with a virus that makes them man-hating cannibals.

I'm not sure if it's available on Netflix or Hulu, but it was a lot of fun (I believe it's a British flick, too).

Thanks again!

Oh, thanks so much!

I've seen Shaun of the Dead (and loved it!), but I've never heard of the other two so I'll check them out.

Another little-known ZA flick I enjoyed was Doghouse:

A group of men head to a remote village to help one of their friends get over his divorce; when they get there, though, they discover that all the women have been infected with a virus that makes them man-hating cannibals.

I'm not sure if it's available on Netflix or Hulu, but it was a lot of fun (I believe it's a British flick, too).

Thanks again!

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Doghouse (2009) was too misogynistic for me. YMMV:

Forgot to say I've only seen the first episode of the CW's new series iZombie, but I liked it. Reminded me of Tru Calling. It's based on a comic book.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

I'm just happy to have FTWD this summer while I wait for Z Nation in the fall.

Did that get better after the pilot?  I couldn't even make it through the whole first episode...

One of the fun things about SyFy's Z Nation (from the same folks who brought you Sharknado) is looking for the "bizarro Walking Dead" moments.

Zombie Judith! Every Rick dies!

They're actively looking for a cause—and a cure. And there's a post-ZA economy—with a currency of bullets & Oxycontin.

They're two totally different shows, but I like them both. To quote DJ Qualls:

I take my hat off to the writers, too, on this show. They do a really good job of balancing the, you know, the fun and the drama in this show a lot.

And also, as opposed to shows like, you know, the inevitable comparisons against Walking Dead are happening. And we’re not that show. We don’t strive to be that show. We are a fast-moving, popcorn show. And it’s really fun to be on one of those.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, at first I felt like I was cheating on Rick, but the only real similarity is the dead rising to eat people. It's something fun to watch, but I'm definitely not INTO it like I am TWD.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 2

You know, TWD used to have a bit of humor, but it's really rare these days. ("Your head ain't!" -Daryl)

Calling Lori "Olive Oyl".

Telling Dale to "Take that hat back to a Golden Pond".

WTF happened to Daryl's writers??? Someone step up their Xanax?

• Love 4

Calling Lori "Olive Oyl".

Telling Dale to "Take that hat back to a Golden Pond".

WTF happened to Daryl's writers??? Someone step up their Xanax?

I miss that Daryl....I almost cried tears of joy when he held up his 'possum and said "We brought dinner" when they first got to Alexandria...

• Love 5

I actually still haven't watched anything on SyFy since they changed from Sci-Fi, out of protest. Now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't break for Z Nation.

I hate-watch Haven, and Ascension was OK. But I really enjoy Z Nation. WWE is moving to USA Network, so maybe Syfy'll get some more sci fi.

• Love 1

I actually still haven't watched anything on SyFy since they changed from Sci-Fi, out of protest. Now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't break for Z Nation.

Might as well - at this point I doubt they're changing the name back, so the protest is kinda moot.  :)

Hmmm... with this news that FtWD will be more of parallel series to TWD, other than being labeled as just a prequel... why didn't they rename the original to TWD - Atlantic and the new one to TWD - Pacific?? 

Maybe there's a third series in the works for the future, and they can call that TWD - Heartland.  Or TWD - Great Lakes.  Maybe TWD - Panhandle.

Maybe the third series will be called Taunt the Walking Dead?

I actually still haven't watched anything on Syfy since they changed from Sci Fi, out of protest. Now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't break for Z Nation.

I love Syfy's Z Nation, and iZombie on the CW. (The first thing I've watched of theirs since Gilmore Girls.) And I recently discovered the 2009 zombie podcast We're Alive:

For Army Reserve Soldier Michael Cross, the world as he knew it ended in an instant. One minute, he’s in college, and in the next, rioters are roaming the highway around him, breaking into cars, and literally tearing people apart. This is the day the dead walk. This is the world of We’re Alive.

We’re Alive features chapters packing performances and sound effects that rival movies and prove that modern audio drama is undead and well. Join our survivors as they band together, struggle to fortify a safe haven known as the Tower, and discovers that zombies are far from the worst thing in a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles where the rules of human decency no longer apply.

Little food. Little water. Little hope. Who is lucky enough to say “We’re Alive?”

• Love 2

Re: Daryl & his writers... they stopped going with spoken lines and moved to physical emotional humor, with that character.

Those 'crying faces' he's put on a couple of times?  They made me cry, too;  with laughter.   Then the stuff like eating live worms?  Practical 'food' jokes! 

• Love 2

I heard about it in the Walking Dead small talk thread:

Maybe you guys already know about this, but thought I'd leave the rec anyway. There's a zombie radio drama/podcast called "We're Alive" that I wholeheartedly recommend. It's way better than I expected. I've just finished season one and I'm hooked.

And just finished season 1. I discovered What's the Tee? with RuPaul & Michele Visage and the "Better Call Saul" Insider Podcast here at PTV, too. There's an entire thread of reccies, Which Podcasts Fuel Your Listening Pleasure? I like Serial and (to a lesser degree) Undisclosed, but just never took to Welcome to Night Vale.

I'm hoping Wayne Dunlap - infamous chopped up walker used to camouflage Glen and Rick is featured. I want to know who the pretty girl was and did he have plans for that $28.00

• Love 3

Does anyone know when the title will appear in the main Forum list (you know, as opposed to doing a search for it)?  I'm guessing when it gets closer to air date.  The closer it gets to airing the more excited I get about it.  I hope it's going to be good.  I also hope they don't find out for awhile that they are all infected.  Could make for some interesting sleepovers.

I watched a few episodes of Z Nation on Netflix.

I was expecting it to be cheesy for some reason, but I really found myself enjoying it.

I need to finish up watching it before the new season.

"Warm Bodies" with Nicholas Hoult was a pretty decent "dramady". Not as funny as Shaun of the Dead, not as poignant (or gruesome) as Dawn of the Dead.

I was thinking about how the world would react to the zombie apocalypse today and I realized something.

If there was ever reports of a zombie apocalypse that were semi credible (or blown out of proportion by the media) but still a chance of not destroying civilization as we know it, I'd end up in a meeting.  Finally something to eclipse the Bird Flu business continuity meeting.

The Office really had nothing on real Corporate America.

• Love 1

I was thinking about how the world would react to the zombie apocalypse today and I realized something.

If there was ever reports of a zombie apocalypse that were semi credible (or blown out of proportion by the media) but still a chance of not destroying civilization as we know it, I'd end up in a meeting.  Finally something to eclipse the Bird Flu business continuity meeting.

The Office really had nothing on real Corporate America.

That's why I telecommute these days.  :>

Was out-of-pocket all day yesterday doing another day run to Springfield (4AM-midnight, about 14 hours of that on the road), so I'm playing catch-up again.

Good news: Got a lot accomplished.

Bad news: There's only one part of my body which ISN'T aching and throbbing this morning - and insofar as it's the only part I generally prefer to BE aching and throbbing, I guess it's safe to say my body currently feels the reverse of good.

I am bringing this over from the Cobalt thread.

Remember guys, not to discuss any Walking Dead spoilers in the Fear episode threads. Some people haven't caught up on TWD yet. However, if something about the zombies was learned in the previous 5 episodes of Fear, that is okay to discuss, since it occured on Fear itself.

I've spoiler-tagged some posts that are clear information about TWD.

If you want to discuss the zombies, etc, you can go to Clarks vs Camp Dinner Bell: Compariing FTWD and TWD 

or for some more detailed Zombie info, the Walkin Dead has this thread that focuses on the Walkers: Zombie Talk: Gruesome Gory and Grabby.

Daniel as Sweeney Todd was *everything*, from his intimate, sensual relationship with his straight razors to his obsession with the chairs being just right. For a moment I thought perhaps the showrunners had just decided fuck it, let's do a bottle episode in which we stage The Demon Barber of Boyle Heights, a reinterpretation of Sweeney Todd in which the resentment/revenge story is fed by hatred of American imperialism, fear of discovery as a former death squad member, and disgust that his pure daughter is being courted by an American soldier... I half expected Ruben Blades to begin singing "Mis Amigos" as he laid out his tools of torture. That would have been awesome.

I don't want to be a party-pooper or a scold, but can I ask again that this be respected? I haven't started watching TWD original recipe yet, thought I would start with this instead, and these episode threads are FULL of allusions to the firebombing of Atlanta, characters who are named as dead or killed or having specific plot arcs, etc. etc.

Please be aware that even that something said in passing that seems like a generic reference to TWD universe is a spoiler for those of us that would like to go to the other series without knowing major plot points or who dies or when or hooks up with whom etc. I don't think I'm the only one. Thanks!

This burns me up something fierce. We are talking about a show in which 75% of its name, comes from its parent or sister show The Walking Dead. Not being able to discuss events and general situations that occurred on The Walking Dead. Would be like having a discussion about the Reconstruction Era, without mentioning the Civil War, Sherman's march to the sea and the burning of Atlanta or oh yeah, President Lincoln was assassinated.

Let me be honest in my thoughts. The Walking Dead is entering its six season. Which means its first season was in 2010. Over five years ago going on six years, and we have to be worried about spoiling people. This series, Fear The Walking Dead, is truly a companion series, it does not exist in a solitary universe but the The Walking Dead universe. So situations and even similar characters will appear in both. Which will beg immediate compare and contrast in any given post. People who are versed in both shows, who I am sure out number the one show watchers by quite a bit, can not talk about this show with any strong flow of thoughts and analysis. I for one like concise posts with good comments and good flow, unhampered by censored references and spoiler tags.

My question is. Where is the respect for those of us who realize? That whether a show is a spin off or exists on its on merit, lives in the  greater universe of television shows. Which is now over 65 years old. In that 65 years of television I do not believe there is one person out there who has seen every show ever made. So why are we constantly being told to not to discuss other shows within threads. Some shows which have been off the air for over ten years or some show which is eerily similar to a show which we are discussing.

I have given this point a lot of thought. Can anyone layout for me a good argument for not discussing other shows in the television universe while talking about another show. That does not rely on the “We do not want to spoil x show for someone else.” I do not expect every person who post to have seen every show I have seen. Nor do I want to constantly censor very good comparisons and contrast because. Someone has not seen a show for what ever reason. It is time everyone except the fact, that every year more and more shows are created. Somebody is always going to have one or two shows they have not seen but are planning on watching someday. Last question. Why should somebody's someday inconvenience the rest of the world?

• Love 4

This burns me up something fierce. 

Amen

One or two hundred posters have to constantly worry about censoring themselves because one, maybe two people are 6 years late in catching up to the topic under discussion. 

Edited by Bongo Fury
  • Love 3

There are some things that don't need to be discussed in the FTWD forums, like specific character deaths or what happens to the CDC, but there are other parts of TWD that the showrunners expect most viewers to notice and are playing with those expectations. It's not easy to have a full discussion of FTWD without occasionally mentioning the Governor or saying Rick's name. It's also impossible to intelligently comment on the first two episodes of FTWD without having an opinion about whether the TWD has a problem with killing off African-American men. The weird thing is that - based on listening to EHG - I'd say that Tara/Dave/Sarah are way less sympathetic to spoilerphobes than I am.

I'm not angry with people who would like to discuss FTWD without being spoiled on TWD but I think there has to be a better way to handle it than a blanket ban on comparisons in the episode discussions.

(As for general pop culture spoilers, I don't need to explain the ending of the Sixth Sense or the reveal in the middle of the Crying Game to make most points so I wouldn't mention them but I wouldn't avoid mentioning some detail of a movie or TV show just to avoid revealing some general plot points about a 20-year old program. If you haven't seen any Star Trek stuff yet, my lame Khaaaaaan joke won't ruin anything for you.)

There are some things that don't need to be discussed in the FTWD forums, like specific character deaths or what happens to the CDC

If you haven't seen any Star Trek stuff yet, my lame Khaaaaaan joke won't ruin anything for you.)

Neither will my asking you what is this Cee-Dee-Cee thing you keep going on about...?

;>

I have to agree with this. There shouldn't be spoilet warnings for an episode that aired 5 years ago. People compare events in shows to others shows--rent and old--all the time. Can we not talk about how Z Nation portrayed a death? How The Last Ship handles the apacolypse? Once an episode airs it's supposed to be fair game.

• Love 1

I am glad a few at least kind of sees this issue my way. Rab01 brings up an interesting point about spoiling movies which I find kind of amusing. Most hour long TV shows if they stay on the air long enough start to do mini versions of major movies sometimes in the same year. One of my favorites, that was suppose to be serious, but I found just plain funny, Was 21 Jumpstreet with Richard Grieco doing a “Die Hard” ripoff. One of the best ever however was the X-files doing their version of “The Thing,” made me a fan for life.

I think if all the moderators would just step back and look at the number shows covered on this site alone. They would see that banning cross show talk really does not work in the modern television landscape. In the same calendar year I have seen different shows tackle the same story line with different outcomes. It would make for a much better discussion if you could openly talk about both shows and how they resolved the issue without spoiler tags or saying I'm taking this to the spoiler thread.

This holds especially true for Fear the Walking Dead and The Walking dead. Both shows will be about how you live in the ZA, how you die in the ZA and most importantly why you died in the ZA. So when certain characters in Fear the Walking Dead die or survive. It is imperative that we must draw comparisons or parallels with their Walking Dead counterpart. It is imperative.

On a personal note. I don't post all that much anymore because of all the don't spoil another show posts and the out right ban of no spoiler talk of other shows. I have loved medical dramas since I was young. If I was to try and post in one of the medical forums, I am sure the posts following mine would look like this:

Oh No! You spoiled Dr. Kildare.
Oh No! You spoiled Medical Center.
Oh No! You spoiled St. Elsewhere.
Oh No! You spoiled China Beach.
Oh No! You spoiled Chicago Hope.
Oh No! You spoiled ER.
Oh No! You spoiled House
Oh No! You spoiled Grey's Anatomy (I am ashamed that I use to watch it)
Oh No! You spoiled Private Practice (Sort of ashamed that I watched it)

Edited by Watcher0363

Here's my thought.  The Small Talk forum is for everything NOT show related.  I am already inundated with FTWD complaints and comparisons over on TWD Small Talk forum.  I wish there were somewhere else to bitch about all this stuff, and keep Small Talk to Small Talk.

That is all.

They would see that banning cross show talk really does not work in the modern television landscape.

It's not being banned in the forum completely, they just ask not to put it in a specific thread.  I don't post in a ton of forums, but in this one we have a thread specifically to compare the two shows, or you can make a new one to compare all zombie shows/media.  The episode threads are supposed to be about the episode, and actually they wander kind of far from it sometimes, it seems to me the mods are pretty lenient about that (here anyway; it's probably different in other forums).  

I wish there were somewhere else to bitch about all this stuff, and keep Small Talk to Small Talk.

A catch-all bitch-all thread :)    I also like Z Nation (I also liked Zoo, which was way dumber than ZN but so,so hilarious) but haven't tried iZombie.  I'm tired of shows about how complicated it is to be 20-something, even if you're a zombie.  I'm sure the show is more than that, but I'm not trying it, nope!!  And get off my lawn!!

Anyway, small talk - I'm on the EC and am enjoying the wind and rain (no real hurricane here).  My dog was enjoying it less and even abandoned her toy, so I had to placate her with a chewy stick.

• Love 3

People are going to get bent out of shape, no matter how few rules there are.  It's the nature of the beast inside us.  :-)

West Coast (sunny SoCal) here, and it looks like we are finally getting a break from the hot & dry here this weekend with blessed rain and cooler temps.  My outdoor semi-feral cats might get wet running from one hidey-hole to another - one that's closer to the food bowl - but that's the extent of our damage. 

Hurricanes are scary, especially for pets,  Here's hoping all you & yours stay safe, warm and dry.

I had absolutely no idea this show was back. Last time I checked my On Demand it was all previews and I passed on those, realizing I didn't really care if any of the characters survived nor was I interested in seeing any of the new ones. I haven't really liked any character since the high school kid, Tobias, and the hot Lt who insisted on sweeping his perimeter. Both of those characters were gone by S1 E02, but I slogged on out of loyalty to my beloved mothership. I read the comments on S3 E01and Cliff Curtis is out? I don't know. I think I'm out too.  Unless it got better??