Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Clarity

Whu?  Why is Emily "grief-stricken"?

I was wondering the same thing.  I don't think she was responsible for any collateral damage in this episode, was she?

Oh, I guess the speculation is that Margaux will blame Emily for losing the baby.

Edited by SierraMist

I was wondering the same thing.  I don't think she was responsible for any collateral damage in this episode, was she?

Oh, I guess the speculation is that Margaux will blame Emily for losing the baby.

Oh joy, see it's things like this that not only make her a bad character, but also the bad villain that they're forcing her to be.

Emily. Just. Came. Out.

Out of all this, I actually feel sorry for Ben. I mean, it's either admit he knew and get hammered in the conspiracy fallout or it looks like he didn't know his girlfriend was Amanda Clarke and is a really shitty detective.

• Love 2

Things are definitely messy, I'm not sure if that means good.

Of all the ridiculous things in Revenge, for some reason Victoria strolling into the police locker room was the most groan worthy tonight. I just laughed out loud when I saw Louise standing behind the doorway. Nolan's going to regret not just putting a baby in her.

Speaking of babies, this show really hates them. Charlotte lost her baby (although I used to suspect otherwise) and Margaux lost her baby when they ran out of plot line. Luckily, Carl is probably old enough to be safe.

Emily is Amanda. Does that mean Mason can finally write that damn book now?

• Love 2

Man, why ruin the relationship between Nolan and Louise?  Their scenes were the only high-point in this terrible season.

Emily came out.  Would have been awesome 2 years ago or if it wasn't COMPLETELY spoiled in the preview.

Are Jack's mother and Amanda's father going to smang it?

Margaux rubbed her belly when Amanda revealed that Daniel was innocent.  She didn't lose her baby.

• Love 6

Man, why ruin the relationship between Nolan and Louise?  Their scenes were the only high-point in this terrible season...........

I totally agree with you about Nolan and Louise.

It's too bad the taxi didn't kill off Margaux.   If she didn't lose the baby, why would tell Victoria that she did?

• Love 1

This actually felt like they were heading for an ending.  Except assassin girl is still out there.  Is she going to kill Margaux because Margaux knows who she is or is she going after Emily as she was supposed to?  

There will be fallout for sure and it seems like the worst of it will be for Ben.   And she didn't even warn him. 

Emily and Jack walking hand in hand.  Foreshadowing? 

Poor Louise.  Is Tony really gone after two episodes (or was it three)?

And I agree, Victoria in the men's locker room was ludicrous. 

This actually felt like they were heading for an ending.  Except assassin girl is still out there.  Is she going to kill Margaux because Margaux knows who she is or is she going after Emily as she was supposed to?  

Oh right, I almost forgot: Assassin Courtney Love! Is somebody kidding?

• Love 5

The press says that Courtney Love's character is recurring, so I guess she'll be back.  I loved her on Empire, but this White Gold assassin didn't keep my interest -- most likely because the ending will be a predictable Who-did-White-Gold-shoot? finale.  The gunwoman will have her sights set on a female thinking it is Emily, but it won't be.  It will probably be Louise because she's going to be crazy again.

• Love 1

No one seems to remember that Daniel attempted to murder Emily on their wedding night, supposedly taking away her own ability to have children.  Emily lied about that too, which is why Lydia is still in hiding... It is all too messy to attempt to start telling the truth now; but he was saved by one lie, and damned by another.    Speaking of babies, I began to wonder if Louise could also be pregnant with Daniel's child?  There were lots of hints.  

The Patsy Stone-esque assassin doesn't look like someone that Emily would spend more then five minutes knocking out, so I'm certainly not scared; what a terrible performance, though, wooden and ridiculous. I kept waiting for her to climb into the window and replace Emily's punching bag. 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 6

Where did Victoria get $40,000,000 from? I thought she was broke. 

How does Emily not see that by changing her story & revealing who she is, she's now screwing over everyone who ever lied for her. She is just as selfish as Victoria.

Louise is going to go full on cray cray now.

I was so happy when Stevie called David out for starting everything by screwing Victoria, his inability to keep it zipped up started everything.

• Love 1

If we end up with a who shot JR deal, they should go full Dallas and make the last 2 seasons a dream. Maybe Emily could be in a coma and Louise is her nurse. That's more like Alias, though.

• Love 1

Where to begin? Stevie can kindly STFU and have a seat. Look, I totally get wanting to protect Jack from doing something dumb, but going to David and telling him to keep Emily away from Jack? Your children are adults. They are old enough to make their own decisions and their own mistakes. They are far too old for you to go to another parent to forbid his child from seeing your child. Being a parent doesn't give you the right to be a dictator for life. As for when she accused David of being soft because he feels guilty about not being there for Emily when she was a kid, pot, meet the kettle. Thank goodness David told her to shut up and go away. If you want to be the kind of parent who is bossing around her 30+ year old son, I guess that's your prerogative but that doesn't mean you can make other parents do the same thing, Stevie.

Victoria strolling into the locker room was so WTF that I couldn't take any of her ridiculous conversation with Ben seriously.

For four seasons I have been complaining about too many of these characters talking about Top Sekrit things IN PUBLIC and around other people and it has finally come back to bite Nolan in the ass. Of all the Top Sekrit conversations these people have had around town, I can't believe it took this long for someone to overhear something important (and to be honest, it really wasn't THAT important but it hurt Louise's feelings).

It's too bad the taxi didn't kill off Margaux.   If she didn't lose the baby, why would tell Victoria that she did?

So she could manipulate Victoria into doing the revenge work for her?

Emily came out.  Would have been awesome 2 years ago or if it wasn't COMPLETELY spoiled in the preview.

No shit! It would have been so dramatic if we didn't already know from last week's preview. I am totally unspoiled except for the previews so I spent this entire episode rolling my eyes at all of Emily's hand wringing because they gave away that big reveal in last week's preview. Way to surprise the audience, network.

While I understand that Nolan didn't want to upset Louise any further right after Lyman's death, all he had to do was be honest with her in a gentle way. She knew that he didn't marry her because he was attracted to her and because he wanted to jump her bones. If he had just told her that he had met someone he liked but reminded her that he would still be her playmate and shopping buddy, she probably would have been supportive - especially if he didn't keep ditching her. It's one thing to go hang out with other people or stay late at work, but it's another when she specifically asked if they could spend time together that night and he already said yes.

While I understand the social worker guy not wanting to be the other man, again this could have been cleared up with some honesty from Nolan. If he had said, "I like my wife as a friend but I married her so she could get her inheritance back from her crazy mother and her brother seriously just died like YESTERDAY so she's a little bit needy right now," the social worker guy probably would have been more understanding. No matter how much I liked someone I just met, I would never expect to have priority over an existing friend who just had a death in the family.

• Love 7

I forgot about the confrontation between Stevie and David. When he got out that green retractable knife, I thought for a second there might be a Breaking Bad moment coming.

• Love 1

This season started at the beginning of summer/Memorial Day and they just had a Fourth of July party recently so Louise slept with Daniel fairly recently. About a month ago?

Oh, then Red is probably pregnant.

This is most likely an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind the series ending with Victoria getting a grandchild. Of course she'll have to deal with Louise for the rest of her life, which is a proper punishment. (Makes me think of that heartbreaking documentary Dear Zachary).

• Love 2

I'm actually surprised about the reveal. Yes, a part of it was in the preview but I thought it would be a dramatic fake moment and she was going to confess something else (maybe about how Daniel died?).

Stupid show for ruining Louise and Nolan.

• Love 1

Watching now, having fallen asleep to it last night. That I fell asleep to it, and didn't turn it immediately back on when I woke up in the middle of the night says a lot to how times have changed.

That said, like a failed relationship, I am unwilling to totally give up on the show and continue to sing what praises I am able to find.

Wish the reveal had not been spoiled.

Agree about Nolan and Louise.

Louise pregnant makes sense with all the baby talk. Victoria and Louise, bonded for life, just as crazy Louise wanted.

I have never ever ever seen or felt chemistry between Jack and Emily. Show seems to be leading up to them ending up together. Puke.

• Love 1

I liked Stevie up to last night. She has a lot of nerve being all protective of Jack when she abandoned him and hadn't seen him for years, right?
Still don't like Margeaux, even though she tried to do right
Victoria trying to get dirt on Nolan/Emily was just pathetic
I didn't even realize that was Courtney Love!
I liked the friendship with Nolan and Louise too, hate the direction they are taking that. Now it's Louise's turn for revenge??? Just no.

Edited by Julie23

I was proud of Louise for seeing right through Victoria's BS. I think she could have been good as a more long-term addition to Team Emily.

Louise being upset over Lyman's death and her guilt over not preventing him from falling are pretty normal and understandable. So I'm not sure why Nolan was using that whole situation as a reason to "pity" Louise and wanting to get out of the marriage because of her "unstability." If Nolan wanted to start something with Tony, I think Louise would have been disappointed, but she would have understood. I felt like Jack the whole episode...just talk to your wife!

• Love 3

If we end up with a who shot JR deal, they should go full Dallas and make the last 2 seasons a dream. Maybe Emily could be in a coma and Louise is her nurse. That's more like Alias, though.

There are worse shows to emulate that Dallas and Alias.

I'm actually surprised about the reveal. Yes, a part of it was in the preview but I thought it would be a dramatic fake moment and she was going to confess something else (maybe about how Daniel died?).

Stupid show for ruining Louise and Nolan.

I was surprised too, I thought the promo was going to be a fake out.  How does her admitting to being Amanda now help clear Daniel's name?  

How does her admitting to being Amanda now help clear Daniel's name?

It explains why Malcolm Black would attack her, as she is David Clarke's daughter. As Emily Thorne, there's no reason for her to be Black's target.

Was that her stunt double in the shots directly behind the bag [?] bc if not vancamp can throw a punch better than garner on Alias...the person being filmed without her face near the camera was ripped to shreds and while EVC is in great shape she doesn't look like a gnc ad.... but not 100% sure either way...someone let me know either way ;)

It explains why Malcolm Black would attack her, as she is David Clarke's daughter. As Emily Thorne, there's no reason for her to be Black's target.

Good point, I forgot the Malcolm Black/David Clark connection was public knowledge.  But the guy was a terrorist, I'm sure they could come up with an explanation for him attacking her.  He ended up kidnapping her, so it should be known he had some interaction with her, but I can't remember the explanation they gave people for Emily and Victoria getting kidnapped.

I was so happy when Stevie called David out for starting everything by screwing Victoria, his inability to keep it zipped up started everything.

But by that same logic Stevie also started it. She was a drunk who had an affair (seems she also has a problem keeping it zipped), which broke up her marriage and brought together Conrad and Victoria, who would go on to frame David together. Things tend to get messy when you dwell on the butterfly effect.

Edited by GuyAwks
  • Love 3

There has to be a reason that they mentioned Ben's brother's "hot girlfriend" whom we haven't seen yet. Any chance she's Courtney Love? There's something going on there.

I thought the whole exchange was about Emily being the hot girlfriend and Emily and Ben were just teasing each other.

• Love 2

I thought the whole exchange was about Emily being the hot girlfriend and Emily and Ben were just teasing each other.

That's what I thought, too.  It seems they threw in that conversation just so it would be worse when Ben's hot girlfriend was later holding hands with Jack.

I thought Victoria waltzing through the mens' locker room was a shoutout to Madeleine Stowe's character in The General's Daughter where she does the exact same thing!

Why is this episode called Clarity when there is nothing clear about this show?  I just don't even know what to expect anymore...it is like they change the story from one episode to the next.  And though I don't care that Emily revealed herself it was very odd timing.  I can think of many past episodes where it might have had more of an interesting impact.  

I am glad that Margeaux turned around on the revenge issue, but it seems a little too late.  I am just overall confused about what the writers want from this show, and I just wish they would pick a direction and wrap things up.  Even Victoria doesn't know what she wants from episode to episode.  

• Love 1

Loved this episode. Emily outing herself as Amanda has been a long time coming but it was done in a bloody fantastic way as well.

It seems that while Margaux is letting go of her vendetta, Victoria is doing everything to keep it going.

Courtney Love as an assassin is funny as hell. Emily is going to make mincemeat out of her though.

Don't want Louise turning on Nolan but it seems inevitable though. Tony didn't last long either, sadly.

Emily and Ben are as good as doomed. Liked the Stevie and David scenes this week too, 9/10

This season started at the beginning of summer/Memorial Day and they just had a Fourth of July party recently so Louise slept with Daniel fairly recently. About a month ago?

And yet Margaux proclaims Daniel was the love of her life and visa versa.  She was ready to dump his ass before finding out she was pregnant.

• Love 1

It seems that while Margaux is letting go of her vendetta, Victoria is doing everything to keep it going.

Well, yes.  But Victoria was prepared to let it go too until Margaux said Emily pushed her.  I don't understand what Margaux is even supposed to want.  She reignites Victoria's hatred and need for revenge and then is all "I'm weary of all this conflict.  Revenge has turned me into someone I don't like and I have only my soul left, blah blah."  So does she still want revenge or not?  And if not, why can she not just end this by telling Victoria the truth that Emily never touched her?

I thought it was a well build up episode,and if they wouldn't have spoiled it so badly in the promo Emily's revelation would have been a huge surpise (thank's by the way for making that promo^^).

And "The Biggest Loser of the Episode" award goes to: Ben! Wow, she didn't even tease him with what's coming his way, now he is going to look like the most stupid cop ever (if he pretends to not have known) or worse (if not), their relationship is kind of officially over by now.

(edited)

I thought it was a well build up episode,and if they wouldn't have spoiled it so badly in the promo Emily's revelation would have been a huge surpise 

I think they spoiled it very purposefully in a desperate attempt to draw lapsed viewers back to the show, so they could witness the big reveal that's been teased since the first season. Didn't work - ratings slipped this week. 

I did enjoy it though. As terrible as Revenge has been this season, I still enjoy watching it. Narratively as a series it doesn't make any sense at all, but I enjoy watching the individual episodes, if that makes any sense. I like seeing Emily battle against Malcolm Black and his demon spawn, even if I roll my eyes at the overall shoddiness of the plotting. 

Edited by DB in CMH

I think they spoiled it very purposefully in a desperate attempt to draw lapsed viewers back to the show, so they could witness the big reveal that's been teased since the first season. Didn't work - ratings slipped this week. 

I did enjoy it though. As terrible as Revenge has been this season, I still enjoy watching it. Narratively as a series it doesn't make any sense at all, but I enjoy watching the individual episodes, if that makes any sense. I like seeing Emily battle against Malcolm Black and his demon spawn, even if I roll my eyes at the overall shoddiness of the plotting. 

And it hasn't been the first desperate attemp to draw viewers back this season unfortunately. Emily seeing her father for the first time was spoiled in the sneak peek of episode 4, Emily reuniting with her father wath massively foreshadowed in Episode 7, as was Daniel's death in Episode 10. Margaux getting hit by the car was also shown in the promo, and now this. And that's such a shame, because like you pointed out, Revenge never has been a show where the narrative makes great sense (expect for season 1), but it always had this emotional "wow, omg"-moments that you didn't see coming, like Aiden's death in season 3 or Emily telling Jack the truth at the end of season 2, and now it's all spolied before each episode.

To be fair to season 4, at least EVC does an incredible job playing Emily this season, in my opnion this season is her best performance as an actress os far, that's  what keeps the show going for me at the moment.

I always thought Louise's obsession with Victoria had a higher purpose. I think we are going to see that purpose in the next episodes. Louise will be Victoria's pawn in this war. I'm not sure what role Margeaux will play since she is regretting her vendetta against Emily now.

I am also curious what role Courtney Love will play the next episodes.

(edited)

I would imagine Courtney's side of a prospective fight would have to be heavily stunt-doubled, she's 50.

Edited by kariyaki
(edited)

I apologize for being so shallow, but I found myself distracted by Nick Wechsler's arms a lot in this episode.  It seems to me there was a lot more shirtlessness last season, and I find it strange that with all of the perplexing precinct locker room scenes neither Ben nor Jack has ever been shown actually showering or changing clothes.

*Edited for grammar

Edited by DesertCyclist
  • Love 2

Those arms definitely were distracting. I've always liked Jack but he has been looking great this season.

I guess Margeaux really did lose the baby. How sad. She was a bitch but didn't deserve this. At least she's done with revenge but wish she told Victoria the truth.