Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Brother, Can You Spare A Brain?

Environmental Engineer, so.... maybe cases could involve a surprising amount of soil sample analysis? Someone starts dumping Utopium into the water supply and there is only one hunk that knows the municipal water treatment infrastructure well enough to stop the imminent disaster?

Who is the idiot writer who came up with that as his occupation? Geeze.  Of all the possible things... maybe he can quit that and go to speed law school. :)

• Love 1

But if we are talking possible romances for Liv why not Clive or Ravi or Peyton.  Instead we are getting a Veronica Mars redux with the decision coming down to the same old story.  It would be far more interesting if say Blaine was unredeemable and Liv, never showing any romantic interest at all, fell in love with someone unpredictable.   The show runner has already gone down this clichéd role.  Something new is all I ask. 

I agree with the "something new" part dohe, but I think for something new to be introduced, a new character would have to be introduced. I don't know whether your "why not" means "they should think about pursuing" or "they should have written things differently" but either way the structural reasons that Clive, Ravi, and Peyton wouldn't work likely just reinforces your "something new" point.

I don't think Clive would be that far outside of the same old story given that Psych, the Mentalist, Bones, Castle, Fringe, Crossing Jordan, and likely others (Is Rizzoli and Isles slashfic robust enough to count?) have matched up consultants with their law enforcement counterparts. Also, right now it just wouldn't make sense because Clive only puts up with Liv's shenanigans because she is his meal ticket up the homicide totem pole. However, if, once Clive becomes less perplexed by Liv, the audiences notices chemistry naturally develops between the two characters, I wouldn't be surprised if the writers let it gradually develop.

Developing something with Ravi at this point also wouldn't make sense for Liv. He is the one person she can trust with knowledge of her 'condition' and he is trying to cure her. Too much too soon in that department would muddy the waters with his intentions towards helping her. Does the possibility of a cure for Post-Life Fatigue Syndrome come with romantic strings? Until more people that Liv can trust find out about her penchant for prefrontal cortex, I expect Ravi to fill the Wallace Fennel role of a trusted confidant with his own romantic interests.

Peyton and Liv have been close and lived together for a very long period of time. I think if something romantic were to develop between them it would have already happened before Peyton decided to become a judgmental jerk.

Edited by 90 Day Pinochet
  • Love 1

I found the David Anders bar scene hookup weird, because he looks so weird I don't understand how his date didn't notice. A younger chick can get away with looking goth. He looked like a psycho with red eyeliner, but his date didn't care. Then I didn't understand the age thing, when his date made the age-gap comment. I thought it was in reference to him looking so old in his zombie drag, plus I thought David Anders was much older than wikipedia alleges. So then when he started talking about Tindering 25 year olds and I realized the scene was supposed to read as "young gigolo takes advantage of rich cougar", all I could do was shake my head.

Sorry, Sark fans. The zombie drag makes him look about 45, and certainly age-appropriate for his date. I think they should have picked a different scam for him.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 6

The main obstacle to any romance is that Liv is presently a major bio-hazard. So unless the show wants to make a bunch of jokes about latex and the virtues of phonesex, her love life is deader than the dodo. That said, those could be some pretty funny jokes, and  I would find a Peyton / Liv romance quite interesting because that's not a starting point for a romance I can remember seeing on tv before, and it is a thing that happens in real life sometimes. 

Liv lusting poetically after half the guest stars was high comedy. Really well done, funny, not a drop of mean in it. 

I also just realized that the episode was oddly strongly informed by self defense principles. Certain lines and situations felt like they were lifted right out of the manual on it - "No, thank you I would prefer not to go to a second location with you" in particular. 

I was not fond of the motive. It would have worked better if she had killed him for macking on a girl they watched growing up rather than the stereotypical jealousy angle. 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 7

Sex with Liv now there's an adventure. Imagine doing something that really turns her on and she goes full zombie mode. Next thing you know your head looks like a deflated volleyball. A win win for Liv, you eat her then she gets to eat your brains and relive how feel about her. Or worst she scratches you during sex, next thing you know your hitting her up for brains.

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 2

The show runner has already gone down this clichéd role. Something new is all I ask.

The showrunner has done no such thing as far as we are aware. He has introduced characters, the rest is speculation on your (and others') part. All we know of her love life so far is that she still has a thing for Major and regrets that her condition gets in the way. Also, Major is starting to think Zombie Liv has more going for her than nornal Liv.
The show runner has already gone down this clichéd role. Something new is all I ask.

Mini-rant: tropes are not bad. If a development is handled in a nice way that makes sense, makes the story more interesting and is written well, I don't really care if it's a cliché or not. For example, I really don't mind if two partners in a crime/supernatural procedural hook up if they have chemistry and their relationship is compelling, and I don't mind the heroine falling for a villain trope as well (in concept) - as long as it doesn't lead to her character derailment because his deeds were just too dastardly (which, imho, was the problem with Buffy and Spike - and I actually love Spike as a character, I'll just never forgive the show for derailing Buffy to the degree she could have a relationship with him). And as far as I know, Logan/Veronica on VM had never been a pre-planned "big" relationship, it's just happened because of great chemistry, fan reaction and overall interesting dynamic. Who cares if it's clichéd or not if it makes the story better?

I'm just a bit tired of people disliking certain developments (especially relationship-related) simply on the basis of "I've seen it already" (like, many fans of my currently favorite book series don't want a very well (imho) set up romance between two characters simply because "They are the two main characters and it would be too clichéd if they got together eventually"). Surprise, there is very little truly original stuff in fiction. It's the realization that matters, not the trope.

• Love 11

Blaine is Spike, don't know this Sark some speak of.  Also, the porcelain skin really shows up the wrinkles, so Blaine might want to exfoliate, moisturize, and look into botox.

It seems that Blaine is deliberately creating zombies, for whatever reason.  I can understand why he turned the lonely wealthy woman from the bar, she would give him money and be a minion who seems to have access to other wealthy and/or powerful people.

But why did he turn Liv?  She wasn't at a point yet where she'd be making a lot of money, and being zombified made her lose her energy and ambition.  Maybe he was planning to kill her and she escaped.  When he realized that she still lived and was looking for him, he checked out the situation and then came up with a way to turn lemons into lemonade?

Back to Blaine creating more zombies...Is he the only one who can do that, or can any zombie turn another person into a zombie?  Because I could see this getting out of hand in a hurry.  We'll want to put a stop to that, because just like humans supplanted the Neanderthals, I don't want to be either turned, eaten, or driven into hiding while the zombies take over the humans.  If that happens, are the Zombies just going to start attacking and eating each other's brains?  Or are they going to gather up the remaining humans and force breeding so they have a constant source of food?

Can a Zombie woman get pregnant?  Can a Zombie man impregnate a woman?  What happens if someone slips chopped up cat brains to a Zombie?  Will said Zombie spend the next few days hissing at dogs, licking themselves, hanging out by a mouse hole in the wall?  What happens if a Zombie eats the brain of someone who was brain dead and taken off life support?  Do they become catatonic until the 'meal' "wears off", or sit in a stupor until they finally die for real?  So many questions!

I don't mind Major at all.  From his point of view, he's got to be feeling some guilt.  After all, he encouraged Liv to go to the boat party when she had already declined the invitation and wasn't a party person.  His reasoning of "You should go because after we get married there won't be anymore opportunities to get wild as a single woman" was odd.  Why didn't he tell Liv that it sounded like fun and offer to go with her?  Instead, I wonder if he was happy to send her off because he had other plans that didn't include her. 

Then the party turns out to be a horrific event that ends up in most of the people who attended dying, Liv's personality is altered to the point where she gives up her life goals, seems to care about very little, her appearance changes, she dumps him and distances herself from her family and friends.  Now she's all over the place. 

Liv seems to take on new personalities regularly.  I'm waiting for someone to come out and say that Liv has a mental disorder brought on by the boat party fiasco.  Major could have cut his losses, gone around with a 'Bitch is crazy, I dodged a bullet, I'm out of here' attitude.  Instead, Major gave Liv space and tried to remain on good terms with her, probably hoping that he'd be able to help her come back from the depression she sank into.  But when Liv showed up and pretty much demanded he scratch her horniness itch Right Now...That was too much for Major.  Whether he didn't like feeling like a piece of meat, or was worried that Liv was acting out a new facet of mental instability, Major was uncomfortable and was well within his rights to tell her to leave. 

I'm glad that Liv was able to realize how her actions that night put Major on the spot, and not feel angry towards him.  Gotta say, if one has to become a zombie, Liv is doing it right.

• Love 2

I think we are meant to go with the drug Blaine was pushing at the party Utopium turned him into a zombie, then he accidentally scratched Liv and she became a zombie. To become a zombie one only has to survive a zombie attack after having been bitten or scratched. In this show, zombies are like vampires that are able to walk around during the day and eat brains instead of drinking blood. I think Blaine is fairly new to Team Z as well. I don't think he knew he could turn others until he saw Liv. Now he's capitalizing on it. I hope he's smart enough to know that if he turns a bunch of rich people into zombies he's going to call attention to them. Which I feel may be turn into the main plot. 

Liv will be solving cases, why Blaine is making a zombie army then others start to notice and people are sent to kill all the zombies including Liv which is when her family will find out. I hope that's not what happens, because it's cliche. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

Since its a procedural I'm assuming they disappear at the end of the episode/when she eats the next brain. If she kept some random skills along the way I think it could be fun but if she retained them all it might be a bit... Sylar-y? Actually, now that I think about it, Sylar was originally supposed to collect superhero powers on Heroes by eating their brains... I would go on but it is not good for my constitution to dwell on Heroes for too long.

It seems more Echo-from-Dollhouse-y to me, actually. That's not a bad thing. But we'll see. She didn't stay a klepto, for example. 

It might be nice if she retained small amounts of things, like a taste for jazz but not listening to it all the time, or a few words of Romanian but not the whole language. But, that's tough to write. The props, sets, and costume people could drop in all kinds of little subtle callbacks, if they are up for it, but that's asking a lot on a CW budget.

I'm a little bothered that people are already on cliche watch in episode 2. Any show has to lay some groundwork before it really cooks, and I think genre shows especially, since they have to establish some extra rules about how things work. So far, this is much better than I expected. I think it's a strong start.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 7

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this show so far. Rose McIver made me root for Liv in the first episode which is rare for me. I'm okay with cliche as long as it's written well. Rob Thomas is one of the few EP's I trust, I'll give him a chance to see what he does. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

(I realized last night that despite being an OG VM fan, and writing loads of VM fanfiction, and generally loving what Rob Thomas does, I've been almost exclusively pointing out negative stuff about his shows since about S2 of VM. If you're reading this, Rob et al (as you did during VM back on TWOP), I'm sorry for being part of the sea of paper cuts. If we get really persykological about it, it's probably because the stuff you write is so similar to my own sense of humor and 'voice' and therefore I get nitpickier about it/am slightly able to see the process and the moving parts, perhaps more so than with other shows. But I'm not a television writer and you are, so I still need to consider shutting up. Ideally you have gone the way of Vince Gilligan and don't read this stuff anymore.) 

It seems more Echo-from-Dollhouse-y to me, actually. That's not a bad thing. But we'll see.

...snip snip snip...

I'm a little bothered that people are already on cliche watch in episode 2. Any show has to lay some groundwork before it really cooks, and I think genre shows especially, since they have to establish some extra rules about how things work.

I could see the aspect of Echo unexpectedly retaining bits of her engagement being an interesting turn, especially since Liv is already self-aware. Also, Dollhouse is a perfect example of your word of caution re: genre shows. It turned out to be not too bad of a show but its second episode was a tv travesty called "The Target" aka The Most Dangerous Dushku.

• Love 1

The difference for me is, so far Rose McIver has shown me she's capable of doing different personalities where Eliza Dushku was always in Faith mode.  

With someone asking about the bronzer Liv bought.  I think she is using it and her look is what she gets because ZombieSark looks much more pale then she does. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

David Anders's charisma (and his chemistry with Rose's Liv) is making us all think he has to be a love interest but interviews with him and the producers keep pointing to him as the Big Bad. I don't think they're going to take them down a romantic road anytime soon--probably a fake out.

I also think (hope) they're faking us out with Major's perfection and that they'll soon reveal something flawed/interesting about this guy. Robert Buckley seems like a pretty fun dude in interviews/social media, etc. with a good sense of humor, but the character is just the cardboard straight man right now, and it's not coming across. 

I would think Rob and Diane would be extra sensitive to not repeating a Logan/Duncan scenario with these guys. 

• Love 2

There's something that feels so...inessential about this show. Like, I missed the first 10 minutes or so but I don't feel like catching them, and I'm thinking about catching up with the show after the season's over and there are few/no must-see shows around. 

I do like it, just not that much. Yet.

• Love 1

I guess we will find some answers as to what is the zombifying component through Blaine?

It had seemed to me that Liv's drink mixed with the Utopium and the combo splashed on Blaine, zombifying him.  But just watched the scene again (about 9:30 on Hulu) and Blaine becomes zonmbified ater the splash, but I don't think they're related.

And then there's Mutt Bowl Surfers, the cafe where Blaine and Liv were to meet. (Butthole Surfers is a band with an Austin connection.)

I caught the allusion to Butthole Surfers but didn't know they were from Ausin.

I was not fond of the motive. It would have worked better if she had killed him for macking on a girl they watched growing up rather than the stereotypical jealousy angle.

The girl was the daughter of Javier's long-time partner, so I think they did watch her grow up,

From the recap:

Liv rages out on one of the wife's exes after he hits on her.

She didn't go into "full-out zombie mode" until he wouldn't take no for an answer.

• Love 2
There's something that feels so...inessential about this show. Like, I missed the first 10 minutes or so but I don't feel like catching them, and I'm thinking about catching up with the show after the season's over and there are few/no must-see shows around.

I get what you mean. But it's pretty common for shows to take time to find their legs. Some take a whole season. FWIW, I liked this episode a bit more than the pilot, but I think it will only start to shine when the main arc starts and the procedural stuff is reduced.

I always give shows a couple episodes to find their footing. Some shows have actually surprised me by getting really good after the 4th episode. However I loved this show from the pilot. 

It had seemed to me that Liv's drink mixed with the Utopium and the combo splashed on Blaine, zombifying him.  But just watched the scene again (about 9:30 on Hulu) and Blaine becomes zonmbified ater the splash, but I don't think they're related.

I caught the allusion to Butthole Surfers but didn't know they were from Ausin.

The girl was the daughter of Javier's long-time partner, so I think they did watch her grow up,

From the recap:

She didn't go into "full-out zombie mode" until he wouldn't take no for an answer.

Yhea - it was implied that the art-dealer was a widower, and a long time friend. That makes seducing his daughter pretty far beyond the pale. 

Models are one thing, even as seems likely, models not much older than that girl.- Word gets around, so if he is hiring professional models they go into his studio expecting to be hit on, and know the whole score - probably down to the average level of satisfaction from previous conquests. All very no harm, no foul. But that teenager? Hitting on someone you used to see around in pig-tails and bracers is skeevy as all hell. Would have made a far more interesting motive if she killed him because she felt protective / maternal towards that girl and this was just Not Okay.  

• Love 4

I never watched Alias so I have no compass for Anders, but I was a bit bored when he and Liv were in the morgue.  I don't know why -- I like all the other characters but he felt a bit over the top.

I am hoping Major will become interesting. He sort of reminds me of Captain Awesome from Chuck. Except: I am really sick of angst. Liv moping over Major has already gone past my tolerance. They need to make him interesting, and move it along quickly, or I will really not be able to watch their scenes. Maybe he can find out she's a zombie and they can have safe sex, or he can volunteer to be zombified in order to be with her, or ... I dunno. None of that sounds all that interesting either. But I know I just don't want to watch her pine.

I can't stand Blaine. To me, he's a hybrid of all the least appealing qualities of Spike/Logan. I just have no interest in the bad boy scamp and I find him neither sexy nor interesting. Just annoying and boring, like the angst/moping quality Liv takes on whenever major is on screen.

You can buy a brain-shaped mold from Amazon, for making a gelatin brain. I almost bought one for Halloween.

I like Ravi. I especially like how he's not afraid, but not naive either. He's just kind of pragmatic. 

I loved seeing Liv flirting with everyone. I know it was because of the artist's brains, but I would love if they make her bi for real. "Bad cop/horny cop" is the greatest thing ever. I'm going to start looking at other procedurals through that filter, and imagining how they'd be different if they went that route with all the other detective duos we see on TV. Actually, it's surprisingly easy to imagine quite a few pairs in that mode, which makes it even funnier somehow.

I was so excited when I thought they were portraying a genuinely happy poly dynamic, and I am with the people who thought they did not lean heavily enough into the motive of killing the guy because he basically fucked a child, and went unnecessarily for the jealous angle. Everything else about the story could have been the same, but they wouldn't have had to destroy the positive poly portrayal if Judy Reyes' character had been a sympathetic and righteously angry protector of children, rather than a sad rejected wife.

I am waiting to see what direction they take with the arc stuff, before I decide whether I'm really committed to watching long term. I showed up solely because I saw the positive reviews, and then when I realized it was ROB THOMAS and DIANE R-- well, the RT/DR combo had me seriously excited to tune in. I will watch at least 6 episodes before giving up, even if they do stuff I don't like during that time. This team has proven itself to me in the past, and I think it's very reasonable to think they will do something interesting and not just tread the already over-trodden or simply stupid and annoying paths.

I kind of wish they'd switched the actors and made the boss/scientist the actor who plays the cop/detective, and vice versa. Also, is anyone here a fan of "Better Off Ted"? I think Phil and Lem trying to find a cure for zombification/undeadness would be a riot. I wish there was a way to bring them into this show.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

I kind of like Major. He is kind of just her "perfect fiance", but in this episode I at least saw some flashes of personality, especially when he kicked Liv out of her house. He isn't all that dynamic right now, but its episode 2, I`ll give it some time.

I don't see them doing a Veronica/Logan thing with Liv and David Anders at all. Building a zombie army to take over the world is a pretty big speed bump in a prospective relationship. Its only episode 2, I`m not on the look out for big epic romance stuff yet. We hardly know these people yet. I want the show to find its footing before I start being worried about cliches and couples.

I am also trying REALLY hard to not look at this as Veronica Mars: The zombie years. It does clearly take some inspiration from Vmars, but I`m not expecting it to be a remake, but in Seattle, and with zombies. 

Looking back at it, I`m disappointed they went with the jealous wife thing. I was getting kind of annoyed at the detective for being all judgy about their open marriage, and then, I guess he was right? It would be nice if TV showed non traditional relationships that weren't so negative.

Edited by tennisgurl

Loved both episodes, especially Liv's adoption of the artist's personality in this one.

I can't recall why, but I had the impression that David Anders' character would have an English accent. Disappointed that he does not.

Loved both episodes, especially Liv's adoption of the artist's personality in this one.

I can't recall why, but I had the impression that David Anders' character would have an English accent. Disappointed that he does not.

Well, the likes of Sark and Adam Monroe have created expectations in his fandom, most likely.

I'm enjoying this a lot. I understand some superficial comparisons between this and VMars, but I don't see this going the way of D/V/L. At the very least, I don't get a romance vibe from Blaine and Liv.

Enjoyed Liv this time acquiring the victim's art abilities and, I'm guessing, the appreciation for attractive humans: both male and female. Are these permanent?
I don't think so. She ate the brains before going to see Major at the end because she needed to feel that passion again. I think the brain high kind of fades after a bit.

She also ate some more brains before she started painting and talking about how she wanted to leave something behind for her family besides report cards, so I agree that the show is telling us that the victim's attributes is temporary.

Of course his name matters. You just know that somebody out there is already trying to figure out a way to mash it with Liv's in order to create a shipping portmanteau.
Bliv?

Ha, Bliv was what came to mind when I read that post too!

Duncan's motivations were rarely, if ever, explained, and he mostly floated in and out of other characters' lives, causing destruction without any insight towards whatever was happening in his head.

"You stand idly by."

I must have blinked and missed it. How exactly did they get from making a sketch of Blaine to him realizing they were looking for him? Did they put the picture on a brain carton?

I must have blinked too because one minute she was working on a sketch and then he just showed up in the morgue and said that he heard she was looking for him. I was like wait, where exactly did you hear that? Was the police sketch artist wandering around telling everyone? Did she make copies of her drawing and staple them to coffee shop bulletin boards? Honestly, as soon as he said that I was suspicious of him. I mean, aside from my previous suspicions of him.

It seems that Blaine is deliberately creating zombies, for whatever reason.  I can understand why he turned the lonely wealthy woman from the bar, she would give him money and be a minion who seems to have access to other wealthy and/or powerful people.

But why did he turn Liv?  She wasn't at a point yet where she'd be making a lot of money, and being zombified made her lose her energy and ambition.

He said that he recently cut his ties with the bad people in his life, and from what the head drug dealer's guys in the red car said, it seems that Blaine stopped dealing drugs very recently which made me think that after he found out about Liv's access to brains, he decided to parlay his drug dealing skills into a lucrative zombie/brain supply business. If that's the case, it totally makes sense that he deliberately turned the rich older lady at the bar. It didn't seem like he was trying to turn Liv on the boat though (unless he somehow did that after the boat sank and we just haven't seen that yet?).

I am still trying to decide if he was totally playing her with his "golly gee, you're a zombie too?" conversation in the morgue or if he was already out turning people in zombies before he realized she had all those brains just waiting to be eaten.

Building a zombie army to take over the world is a pretty big speed bump in a prospective relationship.

Someone should embroider that on a pillow for Klaus on The Originals (substituting the word "hybrid" for "zombie," of course). He still doesn't get why that's a deal breaker.

I kind of side eye the idea that baby Spike turned Liv by accident or in a frenzy after she slapped him down publicly in front of his clients. I assumed he did it just to put her in her place. 

• Love 1

Yhea - it was implied that the art-dealer was a widower, and a long time friend. That makes seducing his daughter pretty far beyond the pale. 

Models are one thing, even as seems likely, models not much older than that girl.- Word gets around, so if he is hiring professional models they go into his studio expecting to be hit on, and know the whole score - probably down to the average level of satisfaction from previous conquests. All very no harm, no foul. But that teenager? Hitting on someone you used to see around in pig-tails and bracers is skeevy as all hell. Would have made a far more interesting motive if she killed him because she felt protective / maternal towards that girl and this was just Not Okay.  

It is icky, but hardly a solid motive for murder. Had her dad killed him, that's one thing, but for anyone else that may be reason to dislike or being grossed out by him, but not to flat out kill him. Though it would've added a new spin on the fairly common trope of the polygamous artist. 

Despite the rather weak case, the episode was still very fun. Liv hitting on everyone in sight was just hilarious, plus it gave us the great Bad Cop/Horny Cop line. 

I hope this becomes a regular occurence - she doesn't have to lust after everyone in the room every episode, but it would be a wasted opportunity if the personality traits she adopts didn't include sexual preferences or romantic feelings.

Sorry, Sark fans. The zombie drag makes him look about 45, and certainly age-appropriate for his date. I think they should have picked a different scam for him.

Agreed. I haven't seen him in anything before, but I was surprised when I learned that the actor is just 34. Being (un)dead makes you look older, who would've thought?

She also ate some more brains before she started painting and talking about how she wanted to leave something behind for her family besides report cards, so I agree that the show is telling us that the victim's attributes is temporary.

Yes, it seems that she loses those traits/skills rather quickly. Someone wrote that maybe she keeps a few bits, but loses most - she might find the desire to paint now and then, but for her artistic career to really take off she'd have to eat a lot of painter brains. Or she could simply forget them completely. And that's probably a good thing, the show could get pretty confusing and self-contradictory over time if she were to keep those traits fully.

I'm not sure what polygamy had to do with it, in the end. He wasn't killed because he was polygamous. He was killed because he told his wife that he didn't want children or monogamy and then dumped her to go off with a younger woman to do both. 

• Love 1

That wasn't polygamy actually... I used the wrongest term possible. Open relationship is better. Polygamy implies shared love between the people in the relationship (all of them), not two people, one of which sees no action and the other is other partners, without any real emotional attachment. It was only a shorthand to show us, again, the one true love idea (or, one true partner) and give Liv a reason to be horny cop. :) He was killed because he was a sleaze.

I know, I know, way late to this party. Knew it was the wife once the detective said it's always the wife more than once. Taking on the personalities of the dead is a good gag and I really enjoyed sexed up Liv, but I wonder if the gag will wear thin soon?  Mostly enjoyed this Blaine fella. Anders did a good job with finding the unusual in his line deliveries. Although, his zombie make-up could use some work, IMO. Overall, better than the first episode, I think.

I do like it, just not that much. Yet.

This is where I'm at. I liked this episode better than the first, but still can't shake that Veronica Mars: The Zombie Years feeling and it's mostly because they've created all the same characters to surround Liv, IMO. Although, I do think this episode stepped out of it's mold a bit better than the last. I'll stick it out for a at least a couple more and see if it can become it's own thing more.

I must have blinked too because one minute she was working on a sketch and then he just showed up in the morgue and said that he heard she was looking for him. I was like wait, where exactly did you hear that? Was the police sketch artist wandering around telling everyone? Did she make copies of her drawing and staple them to coffee shop bulletin boards? Honestly, as soon as he said that I was suspicious of him. I mean, aside from my previous suspicions of him.

When she finished the sketch, her morgue friend took it and said he'd post it to the facebook pages of the boat survivors and see if they'd get a hit off it. I assume Blaine was doing similar research as Liv--checking out all the facebook pages of the survivors--trying to find out what happened that night and saw the sketch.

It seems that Blaine is deliberately creating zombies, for whatever reason.... 

But why did he turn Liv?

Blaine turned Liv accidentally. It was only after meeting her that he realised he could turn people and that was when his "business" started. Up until then he thought he was the only one.

• Love 4

Blaine turned Liv accidentally. It was only after meeting her that he realised he could turn people and that was when his "business" started. Up until then he thought he was the only one.

I'm not convinced of that. I know that's his. story, but we also know she slapped his ears back in public right before he turned her,

I'm actually also inclined to think Blaine unknowingly turned Liv. In the flashbacks he certainly seemed to have indulged in some Utopium himself (and some MaxRager, presumably) when he sleazed up to Liv. He also seemed to be a pretty standard, non-zombie colour at that point, so could he himself have not completed the zombification at that point, but it happened (very soon) after?

So hi

I've been watching iZombie all over again and within season 01 episode 02, at the precise moment where Blaine is texting on his phone waiting on Liv to bring him brains, comes Hutch and Duggy, Blaine's former partners. The small guy stepping out of the car, Duggy, wears a leather coat. I happen to have the same at home, but I bought it in a thrift shoo so the tags have been taken away. Was wondering if any of you would know the brand of the coat or recognize it? Thanks in advance!