Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Gil's Birthday Party

• Start Topic

Gil is turning 50? How much older is he than Kelly? I thought that there were only a year apart or so...isn't their youngest child 3 years old? How old was Kelly when he was born? 

Over 100 people show up and the Duggars are nowhere to be found?  Something strange about that.

Silly show.  You made me tear up.  The emotions this family shows feel real.  The emotions the Duggars show (do they show emotion) feels quite the opposite.

Loved how Gil had one of the youngest boys (cant tell the two apart) in his arms the entire time they played 'This Is Your Life' (so, they watch tv?  I don't even know this show....I just know its old, but still.....are they watching reruns or something?) and he went to hug each friend.  Those two youngest boys are beyond adorable.  Love them!

Also, I think Gil definitely grew into his good looks.   He wasn't too cute in high school (just my opinion).

Neither of the two shopping girls know what broccoli looks like?  Really?

• Love 5

I noticed that too. People flew in from all over the country and not a Duggar to be seen. Refreshing.  No Alyssa either, which was a little odd. A huge party like that and there wasn't even a mention of *why* she couldn't make it.  All through the season, we've seen them talk to her on the computer or phone. I kept waiting for a TH from someone about how it was sad she couldn't be there...she hated to miss it...she Skyped in...something.  She just wasn't there. 

I liked this one.  I can't help myself.  I like this family.  They're a real family with children who are allowed to have personalities. Some are quiet and some are bubbly.  They fuss at each other (gently), they tease each other, and they seem to really enjoy being together.

I hope Up decides to give them another season. 

• Love 4

I like this family.  They're a real family with children who are allowed to have personalities. Some are quiet and some are bubbly.  They fuss at each other (gently), they tease each other, and they seem to really enjoy being together.

I agree. Despite their religion, I like them. I like that their kids have distinct personalities. I also like, how Gil and Kelly said in one of the first episodes that once the kids leave their house they can choose how they want to live. I do not think Jim Bob would ever let one of his daughters move out of state. Kelly is way more of a mom/grandmother than Michelle Duggar will ever be. I think the Bates family just seems so much more genuine than the Duggar's. I do not think Jim Bob has a genuine bone in his body. He is way too smarmy.

It was a nice party. Gil seemed so stunned when he walked into the house. I even thought Lawson and Nathan wrestling him at the beginning of the episode was hilarious.

I am not a fan of kids ( with a few exceptions ), but I think Jeb is adorable. 

• Love 5

I'm sure there was a good reason Alyssa couldn't make it, financial or otherwise.  The family saw her over Thanksgiving and Gil's birthday was Jan. 1, so she must have spent the holidays with John's family.

Nathan is a cool dude.  Nice to see a boy taking the lead on organizing a birthday party.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this show. Loved Gil's face when he walked in. He really was surprised.

I doubt the Duggars will ever be shown on this show, probably due to their TLC contract. I honestly don't believe the Bates really care all that much for Jim Bob or MEchelle.

• Love 2

The comparison between the Duggars and the Bates is...well there is no comparison.  Watch Kelly cuddle with her new grandson!  Watch Gil carry around one of the younger boys . These parents love their kids.  I love their kids.  Their TH shots are so much more natural than the Duggars.  The siblings have such natural animation.  So glad to hear they have been renewed!  And how on earth did they know about "This is Your Life"?  That show went off TV years and years ago!  But they did a fabulous job with that party. 

• Love 4

Although it still makes me sad that these kids will never have experiences like Gil did (winning state in wrestling) I do like watching this family and what is going on with them.  Gil and Kelly's PDA is in place, like only done where it should be ... like when they are alone celebrating Gil's birthday.  They don't seem to be just all about the sex and the grandbabies like the Duggars,

I loved seeing Nathan step up and everyone else helping out where they could. 

Loved seeing Kelly holding Bradley when they were over at Zach's house for the birthday party planning meeting.  I think the only time I've ever seen Michelle hold one of her grandbabies was when they were first born, otherwise, they are at arms length. 

Anyway, cute show.  Looking forward to season 2. 

• Love 2

It really is hard not to compare the two families. The Duggars have stifled any personality their children might have. We never see them really laughing and interacting with each other. It's painful to watch them with their forced smiles and side hugs. No spontaneity at all.

• Love 6

Why does Gil carry Jeb, or is it Jed?, around like a stuffed toy constantly...the boy must be close to 5 already? He couldn't even set him down long enough to greet his old friends at the birthday party..just looked odd.

I think it's sweet.  There are very few three to four year olds you can carry like that against their will.  The little kid probably loves being with daddy and may have wanted to be there with all the strangers in the house.  Jeb was three when this was filmed.  Judson would have been four, but I think he was carrying Jeb.

• Love 4

I thought it was interesting that they were able to have their secret party planning session by pretending to have "movie night at Zachary and Whitney's." MOVIE night?! They watch movies?! They are definitely more normal (mainstream) than the Duggars.

• Love 3

Jeb turned 3 in February. I liked that they show Gil so hands on.  Also, that the adult Bates boys seem more hands on with the younger siblings.  I thought it was nice and telling about how the siblings interact when Jeb went into the arms of Trace when Gil and Kelly were leaving for the overnight. Also, when Zach flipped Jeb in the air.  They were small moments but are genuine interactions. The kids look out for each other but don't seem to be in designated buddy groups.  

I wonder if UP paid for the party - the kids didn't seemed concerned spending the money on the food and budgeting.  In contrast, Kelly and Gil had a meeting about the budget for Whitney's baby shower.  I liked Nathan being concerned that there was enough food for the guests. A 1pm party time is still within the realm of lunch time so it was smart and good hosting etiquette. 

The thing I liked best about this episode, and show in general, was that it didn't seem like the party was pitched to them.  They would have done it with as much thought and care whether or not the cameras were there.

• Love 6

I finally got to watch this episode on Comcast on Demand and I have to say, I loved the party and think that the kids did a great job. Kelly gave them some advice but then they took the lead and made into a wonderful party for Gil. So nice that some of his old friends from college and high school were able to attend. I also like the fact that Kelly and Gil are sending some of their kids to college, unlike many other Gothard followers who seem to be dead set against the idea of higher education. That fact that both of them went is probably one reason they're fine with it for their own children.

I liked the bed and breakfast place, too, It was a nice idea , especially since Kelly and Gil had never been to one before.

• Love 1

I think it's sweet.  There are very few three to four year olds you can carry like that against their will.  The little kid probably loves being with daddy and may have wanted to be there with all the strangers in the house.  Jeb was three when this was filmed.  Judson would have been four, but I think he was carrying Jeb.

Well, at least the boy won't be wearing his shoes out any time soon.

I'm sure there was a good reason Alyssa couldn't make it, financial or otherwise.  The family saw her over Thanksgiving and Gil's birthday was Jan. 1, so she must have spent the holidays with John's family.

Nathan is a cool dude.  Nice to see a boy taking the lead on organizing a birthday party.

Yeah, I agree. Plus, when children start getting married and having children, traveling home often isn't realistic. Since they saw Alyssa and John just a month prior, it makes sense that they wouldn't see them for the birthday party. John has his obligations in Florida.

• Love 2

When Erin and Kelly both have their reading glasses on they look like twins.

The kids did an amazing job with Gil's party, especially Carlin and Nathan. You could tell they really put a lot of thought into it. Also, baby Bradley is an adorable little chubbers.

• Love 1

I didn't necessarily find it odd that Alyssa wasn't there...more that it wasn't remarked upon, or that she didn't Skype in.  We've seen her do that more than once this season.  Maybe she did and they didn't show it.  It was just a (to me) glaring omission.

• Love 3

The Bates certainly are more hospitable hosts than the Duggars. In this episode, I think either Nathan or Lawson was concerned about having enough food. In the baby shower episode for Whitney, which it seems like Gil and Kelly paid for themselves, Kelly sat down and talked about food for a lunch time party -- she was having usual chips and dip type of fare but also was making chicken salad as an heavier "entrée" type of thing and she insisted on making more than Gil thought was necessary bc of the timing of the party. Big contrast to the Duggars who seem to think ice cream or cookies or root beer floats are enough for a wedding.

• Love 1

I think it's adorable that Jeb(?) is so attached to his dad!  That little guy wants to be with him 24/7 and it's super adorable. 

Maybe for me since I don't really see kids that attached to their dad that often. 

• Love 3

Jeb reminds me of Will from The Little Couple. Both kids are just total Daddy's boys. I also loved how Jeb reached for Trace when Gil left as opposed to automatically being handed off to one of the girls.

• Love 2
(edited)

Gil & Kelly have said that when their kids get married, they want them to be able to make their own decisions.  So I do think the Bates kids are much freer to do their own thing once they move out.  Alyssa is a good example.  I wouldn't be surprised if she watches a little non-religious based television.

Having said that, it's highly unlikely the kids would marry someone who was a horror movie film buff or something like that.  Their world is pretty insulated and they tend to socialize with people who have the same beliefs.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm in a rental for a couple of more months and have a landlord supplied Dish system with almost no channels in a room i'm really uncomfortable in, so bought a smaller tv that I use with the antenna attached to a window.  It has non cable channels and like channels 5-1, 5-2, 7-1-2-3, 13-1-3 and so on.  Absolutely dozens of channels with no schedule of when anything is on but flipping around you often find Any Griffith, Newhart, early Maverick, etc.  Stuff that hasn't been on for years that I know of.  Interesting.

Edited to add that it also has on some shows of dog trainers with bad dogs and clueless owners that my dog watches unblinking to his great amazement.  Dish does not get Net Geo Wild, or the Dog Channel, that was his favorite on the owner paid options.  We'll be happy to move home and get it back and say hello to humongous cable bills agin.  Well, not exactly happy about the money, but you know.

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 1

I'm just getting around to watching the birthday episode. I have to say that there is just no comparison- they are loads better than TLCs mega family. Gil was so appreciative and the family did a great job. The whole season has been a joy (despite their strict religious beliefs). I'm glad they are on UP and not TLC.

• Love 1

The Bates family are so much more loving and caring with each other. I find that so heart warming. If it was not for the religion lifestyle I could see my hubs and I being friends with them. Loved the way the kids all helped each other and look out for each other. They all  have genuine care and concern for each other.   I am so glad that they will be back for another season.

• Love 3

When Grandma was on the previous show, she wasn't shy about how much disruption the Bates kids were to her house and her routine.  I'm thinking her other grandchildren are all mid teens or older so she's past the disruption of pre-schoolers.  Some of the Bates kids are on the loud side, too.  At the age grandma is I think the visitors should take over preparing Thanksgiving and let her rest.  They should also thoroughly clean her house before they leave.

That's just crazy for someone her age to deal with that many people in a house.  My mother is in her seventies and I'm constantly amazed when she cooks a big meal for much less people.  Much much less.   She is always exhausted for a couple of days but likes doing it.  I just cannot imagine that many people in your house.  I would go nuts.  She is old and has everything where she likes it and little hands running and touching everything has to make her need medication.  

I don't have the episode to watch, but I cracked up at what she said that end.  Something about her being glad they were gone!  lol She is adorable!

• Love 2

I thought it was so cool how Gil was able to name his friends, some he hadn't seen in a long time! I'm not sure I could do that and I only graduated high school 5 years ago...

The kids are adorable and I love all of them, though some are more annoying than others. I watched this show with my toddler niece and she loves to watch the kids play around. I'm very glad we're getting a second season, as long as they keep this (more natural) flow up.

• Love 4