Type keyword(s) to search

Empire Second Season Wish List

CofCinci
  • Start Topic

Most of all, slow down this thing and give us more character development, longer story arcs, less frantic pacing.  Please don't Shonda this thing.  Empire's huge success is largely due to the audience love for the characters.

MORE LOLA.

Guest appearance by Lupe Fiasco.

Andre becomes a hugely successful televangelist and starts railing against the pernicious aspects of gangsta rap and misogynistic rap, especially as produced by Empire.

Cookie gets more nookie from Malcolm.

Tiana gets her own story arc and background.

BBK enters politics and becomes a powerful congresswoman whom Luciferous has to suck up to.

Much to my surprise, I agree on the return of Naomi Campbell.  Bring it on!

Edited by EyesGlazed
  • Love 3

Yes I agree that they should slow it down a bit. They're going to burn themselves out (a la Scandal) if they keep it up at their current pace. I think Fox would like the season split into two mini-seasons, like The Walking Dead. Maybe 8 episodes in the fall and another 8 in the spring?

I'm going to need another catfight though!

As much as I love this show, I don't want a 22-episode season.  Like Congo said above, the 8/8 plan of The Walking Dead would suit the Empire well.

I'd like a love interest for Cookie.  One that stays around longer than it takes the bearskin rug to dry off.  What's Puma up to these days?

I'd like to see more of Cookie's life in prison.  Oprah needs to play a cellmate or a troublemaker.

More Cookie and Andre scenes.  Maybe a few scenes of Cookie and Rhonda bonding over baby stuff.

Porcia and Becky are awesome, but too much of them will be a bad thing.  Bring back Olivia and Lola too.

And.... let it turn out that Lucious MG misdiagnosis was a misdiagnosis and he actually has ALS.

• Love 3

I posted this in the season finale ep thread but I'd love for a Dynasty shout out where Jamal gets a congrats note from Steven Carrington who is now President of Carrington Global after taking it over from his father, Blake.

As the gay son of a business titan, Steven would know all the hell Jamal went through to get to the top. And I just think it would be a neat nod to one of the soaps Empire pays homage to.

Other S2 wish list:

- We get a big bad on the level of Lucious that the family has to fight against. Judd Nelson was nice to try, but Lucious has pretty much named himself the Devil but we need to see someone even worse so he realizes he ain't the baddest of the bad - or proves that he is!

-Vanessa Williams as Lucious's sister. He only thinks he's an orphan but he learns his the people he thought were his folks weren't and one of his parents lived to have another family.

-No way in hell this would happen but for giggles: Michael Emerson in a one shot scene as the head of a law firm that Cookie retains. Just to see his bewildered, measured acting against Cookie's epicness for old time's sake would warm my heart.

-Rhonda's parents and/or scheming brother who tries to play the Empire game and is bloodied for it.

• Love 2

Olivia and Lola. That's a big enough house where they can live in the far east wing if needed.

Anika as a viable and formidable character, not just Cookie's door mat.

Another cat fight with the proper length of time. They know that wasn't enough last night. Alexis, Krystal and Dominique could go longer than they did last night, now at 70+ years old. Actually, there should be a CooNika fight every year, if not twice a year. Forget all the PC/feminism ya-ya-ya, if more women had the opportunity to just snatch a wig and wrestle another chick from time to time, we'd all be a lot happier and more relaxed. I think I would.

Vanessa Williams is a great idea and it wouldn't even have to be a sister that Lucious doesn't know about. Plenty of families are ripped apart in children services.

At minimum, 16 episodes.

Less of Lee Daniels' diary being played out onscreen. Jamal as the SuperGayGuy!!! is already old. He should be Jamal, a guy who happens to be gay, not a gay guy and we named him Jamal. His ability and strength as a character shouldn't be due to whether he is gay or not and whether people like the gay guy.

A real friend for Cookie. If that is Porsha, fine. If they are going to bring on Carol full time, fine. If Cookie and Tiana are to be the friends, fine. But a nice, normal friendship between two black women would be nice, but I have no real expectation of that from the pen of Lee.

They missed out on what could've been interesting as Andre struggled between a newfound faith, his longtime disillusionment with trying to be loved by Lucious and his anger and inability to forgive Cookie for leaving him. But, something that makes him more than the mustache twirler in the corner.

There are probably other things, but that's enough for now.

• Love 3

IA with a lot of Tobin Albers post, but ?

I'd like Rhonda's people to be up-from-poor like Lucious/Dwight. Rhonda doesn't talk about her family. Maybe they are currently successful, but regionally and in a blue collar business, a la Duck Dynasty? (Not hating on those folks. Just using them as an example of very wealthy, but not the conventionally thought-of way.) Rhonda wanted to get what she wanted on her work, not her name. That's why she doesn't talk about her people. Maybe they were farmers/ranchers/florists?

I would like to see:

*Anika/Cookie/Tiana power triumvirate at the label.

* a Tiana/ Veronica Diva competition

* MOAR Lola!

*More Carol, Cookie's sister! I loved how she reacted to everything, including the drama at the office. Plus? Lucious being very genteel towards his ex-sister-in-law was fun!

* Andre finding another company with or starting one with Rhonda, so they can be with the baby.

*Tricky's grandson with a surprise hit! 

I really love the idea of Steven Carrington sending a note to Jamal.  He can even be wearing horn-rimmed glasses.*g*

A real friend for Cookie. If that is Porsha, fine. If they are going to bring on Carol full time, fine. If Cookie and Tiana are to be the friends, fine. But a nice, normal friendship between two black women would be nice, but I have no real expectation of that from the pen of Lee.

Is there why Lee would be unable to depict such a relationship? I thought Precious did a good job with Precious and the teacher, and Precious and the other girls in that class. 

I really like the idea of Andre denouncing rap, hip hop, etc., as he embraces a more strictly religious lifestyle. Perhaps Rhonda's family could share in that religion. 

If Vernon is truly dead, they need another older man who is equal to Lucious. Bring back Cuba!

Are Lucious' parents alive? If so, I would hire Diahann Carroll and Lou Gossett Jr. 

Jamal needs his own assistant now. I say hire Michael Urie. 

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 1

Are Lucious' parents alive? If so, I would hire Diahann Carroll and Lou Gossett Jr. 

Jamal needs his own assistant now. I say hire Michael Urie.

Michael Urie as Jamal's assistant would be genius! The fights between him and Porsha would be amazing.

Lucious says he's an orphan but no reason they couldn't play his unknown grandparents who come out the woodwork . Those are nice picks: Carroll totally looks like she could be related to Lulu and can cop that tough steely eyed look that TH does and LG, Jr. would elevate TH's game because Lou can be like a Vernon to him: has his back but doesn't take his crap.

The idea that Denzel is old enough to play a great-grandfather makes me feel very, very old.

I'm pretty sure Rhonda has been established as growing up poor in the south, and leaving her family behind. But who knows! After that finale, I think anything is possible.

I want to see more Tiana, and don't really care about more Lola.

My biggest wish is more explanation about Lucious and the boys' lives while Cookie was in prison. Since Cookie said she produced his gold records, clearly his first album was a big hit. But I'm assuming that took some time between building word of mouth, getting a record deal, arranging distribution, doing press, touring, etc. How long did all of that take? I think the timeline had been implied to be "Cookie went to prison, and the next day Lucious became a mega star and started the Empire", but clearly there was more to it than that.

That's why it sometimes rubs me the wrong way when Cookie says the company is half hers. Yes, she made a huge sacrifice, and she deserves compensation and an enormous return on her original investment. But he didn't take her money and play the lotto. He took it and worked, struggled, built something. And he did the vast majority of that without any input from her. Her money and expertise produced his first album, but he translated that into an enormous company with interests beyond music.

tl;dr

Cookie gave up 17 years of her life, but in that time, life went on. Lucious (and apparently Andre and Vernon) spent those 17 years building the Empire to what we saw in the premiere. How did they do it? We all know of tons of artists who start a record label, but they're usually just vanity projects and not major labels.

• Love 1

I'd like to see Jussie's sister Jurnee show up at some point. Maybe she can play Olivia's sister? I don't know, they are the exact same age, so I think Jurnee would be in the world of Olivia or Tiana. 

Edit: Oh, and Tristan (Mack) Wilds. He is actually talented at both acting and rapping. The more I think about it, the more he should have been cast in Hakeem's role. But either way, he has already acted opposite Trai Byers (on 90210), so let's make it happen. 

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 1

I really want to see Rhonda`s white trash family show up, to cause trouble. 

More Lola! Please, more Lola! 

Rhonda and Andre strike out on their own, to build their own company, and eventually the whole family defects to their label, except Lucius. 

Flashbacks/backstory on everyone. What was it like when Cookie was in jail? How did the the Nation of Islam kill Luscious`s father? Was was all that about?

More Tiana. More Elle. More Cuba.  

Tiana gets her own story arc and background.

Tiana was dropped like a sack of wet potatoes, wasn't she? I had to think for a minute "Who the heck is Tiana?"!  But yes, wherever Cookie lands -- at Empire, at Hostilpire or at YouNeedSome Cookie Records -- she's got several great artists in her pocket.

I want tiana&hakeem back together with cookie as their manager. More lola, more crazy loucious, he is sexy. Please focus more on the other 2 brothers, especially andre, his actor is the most talented. Tired of jamal sue.

• Love 1

Denzel and Debbie Allen, that's who Taraji wants to play Cookie's parents.

I didn't even realize that Debbie directed the 2nd part of the finale.  Girl knows how to stage a cat fight! Heh.

• Love 2

Too bad they're not on the same network, because otherwise I could see a great crossover episode between Empire and How To Get Away With Murder happening. The two shows could perhaps even be merged entirely.

After all, they're not just eerily similar in their portrayal of normal human relationships, and their shared belief that there isn't a problem in the world that can't be solved with a good murder, or at least an attempted one. The portrayal of criminal investigations and legal proceedings on HTGAWM is just as unflinchingly realistic as the portrayal of business matters and Wall Street procedure on Empire. The Keating Four, already intimately familiar with the awesome killing power of the candlestick trophy statuette, can dispose of Vernon's body, and won't make the same stupid mistakes they did on their first attempt. There'll be a surefire hit anthemic song (Smollett/Beanz) to go with all the scooping. Annalise will of course get Lucious off scot-free, regardless of any evidence or of what the law says. This will somehow require her sleeping with Hakeem (now that he's got the taste, the berries get ever older - watch out for another future guest appearance by Cicely Tyson), and, at some point, a catfight with Cookie, preferably set during a courtroom session, in which Annalise's wig comes off in public for the first time. The firm of Keating will also sue Lucious' doctors for their gross malpractice (I mean, not getting a second opinion when a mere nurse can spot you've made a misdiagnosis?). Oliver can use his Magical Superhacker Skillz to break into the computers of all of Empire's competition, making their tracks available for free download before they're even released, showing once more how broken the revenue model of all labels except Empire is. Frank will be put on a retainer, for those future occasions when a music industry problem needs solving and only a professional hitman will do. And for light relief, we can look forward to the Jamal/Coliver threeway (or maybe Ryan wants to join in too, if he makes it to the second season and his hair doesn't get in the way of the lighting too much.)

Alas, it will never happen. That's the problem with TV these days: not enough outside-the-box thinking.

Edited by SailingBy
  • Love 3

Love the idea of Vanessa Williams as Luscious's biological sister.  Vanessa is doing a new pilot but please Lee Daniels get a hold of her.

I love the idea of Jack Coleman (Dynasty, Heroes) as Rhonda's poor blue collar father who shows up on her doorstep.  Bonus points if he starts dating Cookie.

Denzel and Debbie Allen as Cookie's parents would be great.  I could also go with Denzel and Beverly Todd.

I know Oprah is guest starring next season and I would love to see her as Dottie, the boy's nanny who was shot and killed.  The one Luscious and Hakeem talked about in the first episode.

• Love 1

I want more Tiana too. I like her character and was disappointed she wasn't used more in the first season.

Overall, though, I don't feel too much change is needed in season 2. I loved the pacing in season 1. And I think they have enough characters on the show that they don't need to add many new ones.

I am curious to see is Lucious actually stands trial for killing Bunky. If he does, my guess is, this show's legal shenanigans will make How to Get Away With Murder's look realistic in comparison.

How about Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs as Vernon's brother who has a secret vendetta against Lucious? 

And since it cannot be said enough, Larenz Muhfuckin' Tate needs to be on this show.

And bring back Cuba Gooding!

• Love 1
Denzel and Debbie Allen, that's who Taraji wants to play Cookie's parents.

Denzel and Debbie are 60 and 65, respectively.  I'm assuming Cookie is mid-forties?  I think Denzel would be too young and, in fact, I'd cast him as Cookie's somewhat older lover.  And while Debbie Allen could be old enough to be Cookie's mother, I still think she's too "young."  I guess what I'm saying is, Taraji ain't as young as she thinks she is if she wants Denzel and Debbie to be her parents. 

• Love 1

Denzel and Debbie are 60 and 65, respectively.  I'm assuming Cookie is mid-forties?  I think Denzel would be too young and, in fact, I'd cast him as Cookie's somewhat older lover.  And while Debbie Allen could be old enough to be Cookie's mother, I still think she's too "young."  I guess what I'm saying is, Taraji ain't as young as she thinks she is if she wants Denzel and Debbie to be her parents. 

They are too young. Especially if Lucious and Cookie are older than Terrence and Taraji. But, Empire doesn't care about how much older actors should be than the people playing their children. The age difference between Taraji and Terrence and Trai and Jussie is comparable, or even smaller than the age difference between Denzel and Debbie and Taraji. In the world of Empire, a person's grandfather (Denzel) could totally be played by someone who is only 27 years older than them (Trai).   

My list is a little different.

My first wish is for the season 2 to remain at 12 episodes. To me, the limited number made for a more exciting season, with no time for filler and waste. The storytelling was crisp and vibrant, which kept me coming back week after week.

My second wish is for no repeated episodes within the season. Too many series have gotten into the habit of airing a few fresh epsidoses at the start of the season, and then a bunch of repeats interspersed with a few new episodes here and there. I knew that I could count on a new Empire each week which inspired loyalty. There is too much competition and if you keep with the repeats it's out of sight , out of mind (I'm looking at you Black-ish).

• Love 2

Well to be fair, Empire is part primetime soap. It is not unusual for a soap to have actors close in age play each others parents.  Hell, some soaps have actors who are the same age play parent and child.  Yes, Denzel and Debbie are a little young but put a little more gray in their hair and have them play a little older.  Cookie having parents who married at 19 and had her and Carol before they were 25 isn't really unrealistic.  Cookie herself had Andre around 18 or 19.

• Love 1

I don't care what anybody says, I can't see Denzel playing Taraji's father, no matter how much she wants it.  He doesn't look like he would be her father.  I don't care how much more gray coloring you put in his hair (I'm sure he's got some gray).  My main point is:  It's fucking Denzel. 

• Love 1

I don't care what anybody says, I can't see Denzel playing Taraji's father, no matter how much she wants it.  He doesn't look like he would be her father.  I don't care how much more gray coloring you put in his hair (I'm sure he's got some gray).  My main point is:  It's fucking Denzel. 

Denzel is still a good looking man, but he is no spring chicken.  I know Denzel is "a god to us black folks" (Chris Rock), but that hasn't stopped the aging process.  Of all the ridiculous things on this show, Denzel playing Cookie's father doesn't even rank that high on the list.

With all that said, I say cast Richard Roundtree and Beverly Todd as Cookie's parents, and I wouldn't mind seeing Denzel as an older lover for Cookie/rival to Luscious.

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 2

Maybe Denzel and Debbie can play Cookie's parents during flashbacks?  Like around the time she went into jail they show up so it would be 17 years ago in the time frame and perhaps Denzel's character has since passed away but they can bring Debbie on. 

• Love 3

You know who I could see as Cookie's moms?  Bernadette Stanis from Good Times.  She's still got that booming body and wouldn't hesitate to slap a ho to the flo (Remember when she slapped a drunken Keith after he hit her?)

• Love 1

Denzel is still a good looking man, but he is no spring chicken.  I know Denzel is "a god to us black folks" (Chris Rock), but that hasn't stopped the aging process.  Of all the ridiculous things on this show, Denzel playing Cookie's father doesn't even rank that high on the list.

With all that said, I say cast Richard Roundtree and Beverly Todd as Cookie's parents, and I wouldn't mind seeing Denzel as an older lover for Cookie/rival to Luscious.

I know Denzel's no spring chicken; I had already posted that he's 60.  And I had also already mentioned that he could be Cookie's older lover.

Jurnee could be a Lucious's bastard daugher which would make her Jamal's half sister.

I would like to see them do something like Nashville on the record. They could film it at the Apollo.

I already tweeted Danny that I'd like to see Jack Coleman as Rhonda's dad. He could go toe to toe with Lu that's fo sho. And Michael Ealy as Cookie's love interest please.

I too wanna see some of Cookie's cellys, maybe Sarah Michelle Geller and Alyson Hannigan in guest spots for old times sake. Della Reese as somebody's Big Momma and I pick Michael Warren as Cookie's dad and Phylicia Rashad as her mom.

• Love 1

I have decided that I want season 2 to open with Jamal giving Oprah an interview, in which he discusses his first couple of months as the head of Empire and updates us on what the rest of the Lyon fam has been up to since Daddy Dearest was arrested. 

Make this happen for me show.

• Love 1

I avoided posting here until I watched all of Season 1 so the fact I'm now posting is an indicator that I've watched it all, lol.

Episode Count: Personally I think it should stick to 12 episodes. It's a good number, ensures that certain storylines aren't bloated and it means that we mostly avoid having filler episodes as well. I know FOX probably want more and are slightly nervous about gaps between seasons but if a show like Game Of Thrones can have 9-10 months gaps between seasons and still continue to pull in great ratings (amid book spoilers, episode leaks etc), there's no reason Empire can't either. Sometimes less is more and this show will burn out fast if FOX try to take it to 20 plus episodes - Glee sure as fuck did. At a push though, they could do 16 episodes - eight that air during October/November, break for December and then air the remaining eight between mid January/early March but really, twelve episodes is more than enough for the show.

Father & Sons: I don't mind that Jamal has a little bit of a ruthless streak but what I don't want is the show to try and turn him into Lucious 2.0 though. Show the similarities between Jamal and Lucious but also continue to highlight the differences between them as well. Also continue to develop the relationships that Lucious has with Jamal, Andre and Hakeem as well. Same with Cookie and her sons too.

Develop Other Characters: I get that this show is about the Lyon family and that's perfectly fine but I do hope for the second season we are given more insight into the likes of Anika, Rhonda, Porscha, Becky etc. Look at Michael - the guy was in six episodes and aside from something to do with cooking, we knew absolutely nothing about the guy.

Don't Go Overkill With The Guest Stars: I get that the popularity of this show is going to be tempted all sort of people to want to appear in the show and I'm cool with that but at the same time, I hope the show continues to strike the right balance here. The super talented main cast should not play second fiddle to any of the special guest star types.

More Flashbacks: That's probably a guarantee anyways but so far I am loving them. Basically, I'm a sucker for a good old flashback really.

Duets Ahoy: Again another thing I greatly enjoyed during the first season. More please.

Jamal's Love Life: Should he stick with Ryan or should Michael come back and the two of them work it out again (the actor who plays the latter certainly seems keen on returning via his Twitter lol) or should Jamal get another love interest? I guess it depends but I do like seeing a loved up Jamal too. Although come to think of it, maybe we should also see a single Jamal for a few episodes too as we haven't had that yet either.

Rivalries: Lucious needs a proper rival and I don't mean members of his family. Beretti came close but appeared too fleetingly to really nail it so either that old guy that Cookie/Anika/Andre/Hakeem were seeking advice on a hostile takeover as a potential rival or someone else from Lucious's past with a similar backstory and a similar rise to the ranks of being poor to owning a strong recording company. Someone Lucious can properly go toe to toe with as well. Plus you can imagine the fun this show would casting that role. The rival could also have his own family to rival Cookie and the boys as well.

• Love 1
(edited)

Less of Lee Daniels' diary being played out onscreen. Jamal as the SuperGayGuy!!! is already old. He should be Jamal, a guy who happens to be gay, not a gay guy and we named him Jamal. His ability and strength as a character shouldn't be due to whether he is gay or not and whether people like the gay guy.

I swear to god, I hope the finale was the last time we will ever see the flashback scene of Young Jamal walking in high heels and getting put in the trash.

Denzel Washington is still a relevant movie star that can open movies. I can't see him ever showing up on Network t.v. no matter how big the show is.

I can't see Debbie Allen as Cookie's mother, either. Debbie, when she does act, tends to play educated, smart black women, and Cookie did not come from a highly educated background.

This is a long shot, but I'd love a storyline where the old church that was a big part of their old community in Philadelphia is getting torn down to build a new upscale condo. Gentrification in black Philadelphia areas is a pretty hot topic right now.

Also, Spike Lee's hilarious anti-gentrification rant really makes me want to see a black t.v. show take that on.

Edited by methodwriter85

Don't Go Overkill With The Guest Stars: I get that the popularity of this show is going to be tempted all sort of people to want to appear in the show and I'm cool with that but at the same time, I hope the show continues to strike the right balance here. The super talented main cast should not play second fiddle to any of the special guest star types.

Thank you! The main cast can hold its own, so having an A-list guest star every week isn't necessary; it fact it cheapens the show--though I am excited to see Chris Rock and Lenny Kravitz this coming season, I can do without Alicia Keys.

• Love 1

Thank you! The main cast can hold its own, so having an A-list guest star every week isn't necessary; it fact it cheapens the show--though I am excited to see Chris Rock and Lenny Kravitz this coming season, I can do without Alicia Keys.

Agreed on both counts! I thought the guest stars were well integrated into the show in S1. I really hope they continue with that in S2, because like everyone else, I enjoy the main cast a lot (perhaps to an unhealthy degree-lol)